DVD Talk
Better performance: Daniel Day Lewis/There Will be Blood or Robert Deniro/Raging Bull [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Better performance: Daniel Day Lewis/There Will be Blood or Robert Deniro/Raging Bull

Chadm
06-03-12, 11:56 PM
Two of the most iconic film performances of alltime. Whats your pick?

Boba Fett
06-04-12, 12:17 AM
Daniel Day Lewis

DeNiro is truly great as LaMotta, but you still easily see DeNiro in the character; Day Lewis is unrecognizable.

PopcornTreeCt
06-04-12, 01:44 AM
It wasn't even DeNiro's best performance, granted it was Day Lewis' best either... but gonna go with Day Lewis.

Solid Snake
06-04-12, 11:51 AM
Ddl

kefrank
06-04-12, 01:02 PM
Instead of voting, I'm just going to chime in and say that calling Daniel Day Lewis' performance in There Will Be Blood one of the most iconic film performances of all time is overstating things just a little.

Solid Snake
06-04-12, 01:20 PM
heh...I didn't read the OP..just thread question.

Not sure if I'd actually call it iconic either. I'd say Taxi Driver is iconic. Daniel Plainview played by DDL is a better job on so many levels but..it's not iconic..just fucking good. I feel horrible for saying that about that role but it's not really iconic.

JGaitan82
06-04-12, 01:23 PM
De Niro really embodied the role a lot heavier(no pun intended) in Raging Bull. It is a much harsher film then There Will Be Blood, and I thought that De Niro was unregocnizable in the role and I as I watch the film I forget it is De Niro. All I see is a jealous, crazy monster beating his wife and yelling.

Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, just reminded me of Bill the Butcher. I mean it was powerful. But I thought De Niro was better.

inri222
06-04-12, 01:56 PM
Not to take anything away from Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in There Will Be Blood, which was masterful, but I gotta go with DeNiro.
The way he portrayed his character with all these insecurities & flaws just waiting to explode.
The little nuances & facial expressions he used such as in the scene where he is asking his brother if he is having an affair with his wife are brilliant.

CloverClover
06-04-12, 02:28 PM
Robert DeNiro is better for me. Yeah, Day-Lewis was unrecognizable, however he overacted...his character was acted beyond the point of realism. He didn't feel like a real person.

In Gangs of NY, that heightened performance style was pitch perfect for the surreal world they created. but I don't know what kind of world There will be Blood was, it strived to be real but it was also very exaggerated. There is a tone problem in it.

DeNiro felt like a real person. The role also demanded way more of the actor, because of the emotions and physicality. You feel drained after watching the film, due to his power. In There will be Blood, you feel drained at the end, due to its running length.

Mabuse
06-04-12, 02:53 PM
I voted DeNiro.

I think DDL was best in Gangs of New York (even though it's a bad film).

And DeNiro best performance is probably Taxi Driver.

Shannon Nutt
06-04-12, 03:15 PM
Bobby.

But when comparing these two movies, we need to remember that De Niro was blessed with the better DIRECTOR...so perhaps Daniel DID give a better performance, and Marty just put it all together better than Paul Thomas Anderson did.

CloverClover
06-04-12, 04:26 PM
It seems most of us who chose DeNiro are giving explanations, while the ones who choose Daniel Day-Lewis are remaining silent. I wonder if DDL is being chosen for the reasons similar to people liking Scarface, because of all the crazy lines he shouted during the movie and his outbursts. It is probably a more 'cult classic' performance.

Maybe it would have been better to compare him to DeNiro in Cape Fear, due to the transformation and 'theatrical' over-the-top quality of his acting there. That role makes me think DeNiro could have done Gangs of NY as well.

JumpCutz
06-04-12, 05:12 PM
Bob

WeylandYutani
06-04-12, 06:34 PM
De Niro.

PopcornTreeCt
06-04-12, 07:34 PM
I voted DeNiro.

I think DDL was better in Gangs of New York (even though it's a bad film).

And DeNiro best performance is probably Taxi Driver.

It's definitely Taxi Driver.

Hokeyboy
06-04-12, 09:31 PM
Deniro. But both performances are masterful.

FRwL
06-04-12, 10:47 PM
In Raging Bull it's acting like an unlikeable asshole the whole movie and at the end "sorry bout that folks". Taxi Driver he is layered upon layered tapping into a universal problem that no one really thought about to make a movie about.