DVD Talk
Twelve Years a Slave (Dir: McQueen) (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, and Cumberbatch) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Twelve Years a Slave (Dir: McQueen) (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, and Cumberbatch)

Solid Snake
06-02-12, 04:12 PM
via Variety:

Benedict Cumberbatch, star of PBS skein "Sherlock," is set to join the cast of New Regency's "12 Years a Slave."

Steve McQueen is directing the pic starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt.

Based on Solomon Northrup's 1853 nonfiction tome, New Regency pic stars Ejiofor as the author, a free man kidnapped and sold into slavery. Cumberbatch will play a plantation owner who buys Ejiofor's character and is won over by his engineering skills.

McQueen co-wrote the script with John Ridley ("Red Tails"). Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner will produce for Plan B.

In 1841, while working in Saratoga Springs, New York, Solomon met two white men named Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton. The men overheard Solomon playing his violin and approached him claiming to work for a traveling circus. They proceeded to offer Northup a job providing musical entertainment for the circus at the rate of $1 a day and $3 for each performance. The two men informed him that they would need to travel to Washington D.C., where the circus currently was located but that they would then be traveling back north. Believing he would only be away from home for a short period of time, Solomon did not notify his family that he was leaving. Little did he know that this trip would mark the beginning of the twelve longest years of his life.

Even though Solomon was a free black man, Washington D.C. in 1841 was a place where slavery was legal. Free blacks traveling through areas where slavery was legal needed to furnish papers certifying their free status or face the possibility of being accused of being a runaway slave. Thus, before Solomon and his new companions left the state to begin their trip to Washington D.C., he secured papers declaring his status as a free black citizen of New York. Unfortunately, these papers would not be able to protect Solomon once he reached the nation’s capital.

Ejiofor? In a lead role? Fuck yes, that man is great stuff. Very VERY underrepresented as a lead actor. Love his work and just his..presence. Very good actor.

Also...Yay for Cumberbatch and Fassbender(!). Took me off guard seeing Pitt cast in this.

I'm fucking game for McQueen/Fassbender 3.

Supermallet
06-02-12, 04:14 PM
I'm in 12 ways from Sunday.

foofighters7
06-02-12, 04:28 PM
everything sounds good except for the scripts co-writer John Ridley...Red Tails...

PopcornTreeCt
06-02-12, 04:43 PM
New African slave trend in Hollywood?

foofighters7
06-02-12, 04:49 PM
I wonder if the name Toby will get hot!

islandclaws
06-02-12, 04:51 PM
I didn't even read the OP. I just saw "Fassbender" and was sold.

Why So Blu?
06-02-12, 07:02 PM
Ridley is hit 'n miss. I enjoyed Three Kings, U-Turn, and Undercover Brother. I think McQueen will make it more his than Ridley since he's directing.

sharkstank
06-02-12, 08:45 PM
Me too KillerCannibal. And especially in for anything McQueen does, Hunger was good and I thought Shame was amazing.

Drexl
06-02-12, 08:51 PM
Steve McQueen is getting to be just as cool as the other Steve McQueen.

Solid Snake
06-02-12, 10:03 PM
Black McQueen > White McQueen

PopcornTreeCt
06-02-12, 10:15 PM
I wonder if the name Toby will get hot!

...if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice.

RagingBull80
06-02-12, 10:19 PM
...if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice.

:lol:

I used to love that show.

Me too KillerCannibal. And especially in for anything McQueen does, Hunger was good and I thought Shame was amazing.

Does anyone know if Shame is on Netflix Instant Watch?

EDIT: Unfortunately it is not.

EEz28
06-03-12, 12:35 AM
I didn't even read the OP. I just saw "Fassbender" and was sold.

Haha, same here...but doubly sold with McQueen as well

Chadm
06-03-12, 02:52 AM

no.

Tarantino
06-04-12, 06:49 AM

Not sure if serious...

RichC2
06-04-12, 08:39 AM
Not sure if serious...

Not sure if serious

Solid Snake
06-04-12, 11:40 AM
:shrug:

Groucho
06-04-12, 11:45 AM
That's quite a cast. I'm in.

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 01:06 PM
via deadline:

Michael Kenneth Williams has been added to the cast of Twelve Years A Slave. The actor joins Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Brad Pitt in the Steve McQueen-directed film. Raising Hope‘s Garret Dillahunt, Paul Dano and SNL’s Taran Killam are also in Twelve Years. Williams, best known for playing Chalky White on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and Omar Little on The Wire, will play “Robert,” a mutinous slave in Twelve Years. The film is an adaptation of Solomon Northup’s 1853 book about a free black man who is drugged and dragged to the South to be sold into slavery. New Regency is backing the film. River Road and Plan B are producing. Twelve Years A Slave is filming in New Orleans. Williams is repped by The Collective and attorney Elsa Ramo.

The Bus
06-25-12, 05:28 PM
Didn't think the cast could get better, but it just did.

Rypro 525
06-25-12, 06:14 PM
Chalky White!

EEz28
06-25-12, 07:44 PM
Omar's Comin!!

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 08:05 PM
I still kind of wished Omar was Django. Though after seeing the trailer to Django...he may have been too strong for the character.

Chadm
06-26-12, 03:36 AM
I really wish Omar was Django. But Alas he hasn't won an Oscar for a Ray Charles caricature. There's no way in my view that Foxx won out the role for any other reason than bankability.

iggystar
06-26-12, 10:27 AM
I'm in 12 ways from Sunday.

Exactly!

Rypro 525
06-26-12, 11:17 AM
I really wish Omar was Django. But Alas he hasn't won an Oscar for a Ray Charles caricature. There's no way in my view that Foxx won out the role for any other reason than bankability.

wasn't the main reason because he couldn't fit it in his schedule with Boardwalk Empire

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 11:55 AM

I don't think bankability factors in for a QT flick. He chooses who he wants. He has that kind of control. THOUGH reading the script, Omar may been perfect for Django. Now that we've seen the trailers. I don't think he would've fit in the mode that Tarantino eventually made the character as he's directed it.

Thrush
06-26-12, 01:34 PM
I still kind of wished Omar was Django. Though after seeing the trailer to Django...he may have been too strong for the character.

I wish anyone but Jamie Foxx was Django.

sauce07
06-27-12, 12:56 PM
I wish anyone but Jamie Foxx was Django.

Justin Bieber?

Solid Snake
06-27-12, 01:01 PM
Reading the script I imagined it to be more...grim. And Omar would've been great for that but watching the trailer and how Django is presented...Foxx fits it better.

Osiris3657
03-02-13, 12:53 PM
Guaranteed Oscar nom for Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Sounds good though

Solid Snake
03-02-13, 01:39 PM
Weird bump. Lol.

Osiris3657
03-02-13, 03:50 PM
Shut up. Every post doesn't have to be breaking news.

auto
03-02-13, 06:37 PM
Shut up. Every post doesn't have to be breaking news.

If you're bumping should be useful though, no?

inri222
05-03-13, 11:51 AM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/braaahm-hans-zimmer-scoring-steve-mcqueens-twelve-years-a-slave-20130503

BRAAAHM? Hans Zimmer Scoring Steve McQueen's 'Twelve Years A Slave'

BY KEVIN JAGERNAUTH

An an eight time Oscar nominee -- winning for "The Lion King" in 1995 -- recent years have seen Hans Zimmer mostly in blockbuster mode. For Christopher Nolan, he's tuned up "Inception," "The Dark Knight" trilogy and the forthcoming "Man Of Steel," and he's given Captain Jack Sparrow some bounce in three of the four "Pirates Of The Caribbean" movies. This year alone he's already delivered music for the hit mini-series "The Bible," with work on "Rush" and "The Lone Ranger" around the corner. But a slavery drama? We didn't see this coming.

Indeed, Zimmer will be scoring Steve McQueen's "Twelve Years A Slave," adding another intriguing ingredient to what is already a very anticipated film. The talent is as great as it is extensive: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Scoot McNairy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Giamatti, Paul Dano, Sarah Paulson, Garret Dillahunt, Ruth Negga, Taran Killam, Adepero Oduye, Alfre Woodard, Quvenzhané Wallis, Dwight Henry, Michael K. Williams and Brad Pitt all feature in the true story of Solomon Northup (Ejiofor), a free black man who is tricked back into slavery, faces grueling life under several owners and has to go to court to reclaim his status.

We're curious to see what Zimmer will do with his BRAAAHM-tacular bag of tricks at bay, so yeah, another reason to look forward to this one. "Twelve Years A Slave" opens on December 27th.

dex14
07-15-13, 08:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iiw1cYXQw4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

riotinmyskull
07-15-13, 08:34 PM
looks fantastic!

inri222
07-15-13, 09:29 PM
Looks like Steve McQueen might be 3 for 3.

Osiris3657
07-15-13, 09:30 PM
Should be an awards magnet. Looks good

EEz28
07-16-13, 12:26 AM
Extremely excited for this.

TheySentYou
07-16-13, 01:53 AM
the trailer alone is better than the 3 hours of Django Unchained.

My Other Self
07-16-13, 02:27 AM
the trailer alone is better than the 3 hours of Django Unchained.Um, no.

This looks like a generic historical film released during awards season. I'm sure I'll see it since I like that time period of US history, but am I missing something? The people here absolutely blow a load in anything Michael Fassbender does, so that's the only thing I can fathom people are fapping over.

It looks good but it doesn't ring as anything special.

The Bus
07-16-13, 06:16 AM
I've heard only good things about this.

riotinmyskull
07-16-13, 06:52 AM
Um, no.

This looks like a generic historical film released during awards season. I'm sure I'll see it since I like that time period of US history, but am I missing something? The people here absolutely blow a load in anything Michael Fassbender does, so that's the only thing I can fathom people are fapping over.

have you seen Steve McQueen's other 2 films? that's mostly why i'm excited.

inri222
07-16-13, 09:27 AM
have you seen Steve McQueen's other 2 films? that's mostly why i'm excited.

:up: same here.

Hunger & Shame are IMO 2 of the best films of the last 5 years.

inri222
07-16-13, 09:37 AM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/15/_12_years_a_slave_trailer_steve_mcqueen_and_brad_pitt_have_made_a_different.html

Trailer Critic: 12 Years a Slave

For as mammoth a role it plays in our history, there haven’t been that many movies about slavery in the United States. For as many movies as there are about gladiators and Israelites and subjects as dark and difficult as the Holocaust, the subject has been explored rarely (Amistad, Django Unchained), and often somewhat indirectly (Glory, Beloved), and what movies we have gotten have often focused on white saviors (this category also includes Lincoln, and even to some extent Django). Notably, just about every last one of them has also been directed by a white man—Steven Spielberg, Edward Zwick, Quentin Tarantino, or Jonathan Demme. Watching these, I tend to agree with Roger Ebert, who in 1990 wrote of Glory, “I consider this primarily a story about a black experience and do not know why it has to be seen largely through white eyes.”

This is just one of several reasons to be interested in 12 Years a Slave, the most high-profile in a small wave of movies to tackle this part of our history this year, and whose trailer just surfaced this evening.

The film tells the story of Solomon Northup, who was born a free man in the North, worked as a carpenter and violinist to support his wife and three children, and was kidnapped and sold into chains in Louisiana. He was eventually able to get word of his illegal enslavement up to his family, and when he was free again he wrote a bestselling slave narrative about his experience, called 12 Years a Slave.

For the adaptation of Northrup’s historic book he is played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, the award-winning Shakespearean actor who has been dealt mostly peripheral roles in Hollywood films, but who looks more than up to the task here. Closer to the periphery this time are names like Brad Pitt (who also serves as a producer), Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Giamatti, and Paul Dano. Many of these stars play slave-owners, which is to say cruel and corrupt people, with Michael Fassbender—perhaps our most exciting new actor, and one who excels in the roles of villains and morally ambiguous characters—looking to play a particularly intense embodiment of the period’s racism.

Fassbender is also a close collaborator of director Steve McQueen, who is one of many black directors coming out with films in a breakout year for black filmmakers. (Others include Lee Daniels, with The Butler, and Ryan Coogler, with Fruitvale Station.) McQueen’s two previous features, Hunger and Shame, were both meticulously shot and overwhelmingly powerful films about controversial subjects (the IRA hunger strikes and sex addiction). While 12 Years a Slave’s subject matter is no less controversial, this trailer makes McQueen’s latest look ever-so slightly more Oscar-friendly—note that the inspiring score seems to come from Inception—all without bending over backwards to focus on sympathetic white characters. The movie looks like a major contender, and if it can deliver on all it promises here, it’ll be a must-see.

My Other Self
07-16-13, 09:44 AM
have you seen Steve McQueen's other 2 films? that's mostly why i'm excited.Nope. I'll have to check them out.

EddieMoney
07-16-13, 09:49 AM
Haven't seen "Shame" yet, but "Hunger" is really great.

Dragon Tattoo
07-16-13, 10:07 AM
Haven't seen "Shame" yet, but "Hunger" is really great.

I don't think you actually saw "Hunger," either.

Solid Snake
07-16-13, 10:11 AM
Um, no.

Fassbender is awesome but Ejiofor in a lead role is even more exciting for me. he is a great actor that doesn't get a lot of bigger roles.

RichC2
07-16-13, 10:12 AM
Both were pretty good (Hunger and Shame), black Steve McQueen has done well for himself.

Good to see this will be coming out to balance out The Butler, which looks fucking hilariously god awful. Plus this one stars Alfre Woodard, guarantee awards lock.

Dan
07-16-13, 11:39 AM
Fassbender is awesome but Ejiofor in a lead role is even more exciting for me. he is a great actor that doesn't get a lot of bigger roles.

:up: He was the lead in a short BBC series called The Shadow Line. Good stuff.

This is going to be endlessly compared to Django Unchained, but whatever. I think it looks great.

Solid Snake
07-16-13, 02:09 PM
The Shadow line is available somewhere like Netflix, right?

The Bus
07-16-13, 02:35 PM
This isn't even the only slavery movie coming out this fall.

Dan
07-16-13, 03:12 PM
The Shadow line is available somewhere like Netflix, right?

Nope. Only region-free Blu-ray on amazon.co.uk.
That's the only place I've seen it available.

inri222
07-16-13, 03:36 PM
This isn't even the only slavery movie coming out this fall.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/15/how-2013-became-the-year-of-the-slavery-film.html

• Savannah, starring James Caviezel and, again, Ejiofor; it’s loosely based on the book Ducks, Dogs and Friends by John Eugene Cay Jr. and tells the story of a well-educated white hunter who develops a friendship with a freed slave

• Something Whispered, starring Cuba Gooding Jr. as a man who attempts to free his family from slavery on a tobacco plantation in 1850

• The North Star, starring Keith David, the true story of Big Ben Jones, a slave who escaped from a Southern plantation in 1848 and is helped by local Quakers

• The Keeping Room, a Civil War drama about three Southern women forced to protect their home against a group of Union Army soldiers

• Belle, set in the 1700s, the story of a mixed-race girl who falls in love with an advocate for slave emancipation

• Tula, with Danny Glover, focusing on a slave uprising on the Dutch colony of Curaçao in 1795.

Dragon Tattoo
07-16-13, 03:47 PM
There are also multiple superhero movies coming out. What a bother.

Solid Snake
07-16-13, 04:05 PM
Trailer could have been better but the imagery in there looks solid.

Groucho
07-16-13, 04:19 PM
• Something Whispered, starring Cuba Gooding Jr. as a man who attempts to free his family from slavery with the help of talking Alaskan sled dogs on a tobacco plantation in 1850.What the hell?

EddieMoney
07-16-13, 04:20 PM
What the hell?

Show me the freedom!

RichC2
07-16-13, 04:22 PM
Nickelodeon wanted in on this as well.

...sadly knowing Nickelodeon it'd probably be the most historically accurate of the bunch.

antspawn
07-16-13, 05:16 PM
Nice trailer. Looks like it could be a good movie.

inri222
09-03-13, 04:11 PM
http://designspiration.net/data/l/396334830898_eIXg959c_l.jpg

Review: Powerful '12 Years A Slave' won't turn away from the brutality of slavery -
Chiwetel Ejiofor is exceptional in this true story (http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/review-powerful-12-years-a-slave-wont-turn-away-from-the-brutality-of-slavery)

Telluride Film Festival Review: Steve McQueen's '12 Years a Slave,' Anchored By Brilliant Chiwetel Ejiofor, Is a Slavery Movie For the Ages
(http://www.indiewire.com/article/telluride-film-festival-review-steve-mcqueens-12-years-a-slave-anchored-by-brilliant-chiwetel-ejiofor-is-a-slavery-movie-for-the-ages?page=2#articleHeaderPanel)

jfoobar
09-09-13, 01:05 PM
Standing ovations and Oscar buzz (see: "shoo-in" talk) at Toronto:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/07/12-years-a-slave-toronto-premiere

The Oscar race has been pronounced over, six months before the ceremony itself. At the Toronto film festival, the premiere of British director Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave was met on Friday evening with an overwhelming reception: gasps, sobs, a smattering of walk-outs at particularly brutal moments, and finally, a prolonged standing ovation.

The crowds leaving the auditorium were primed to place bets on the film being an unbeatable contender for best picture, as well as McQueen for best director, best actor for Chiwetel Ejiofor, best supporting actor for Michael Fassbender, best supporting actress for Lupita Nyong'o, as well as the full slate of technical nods.

12 Years a Slave met with ecstatic reviews when a sneak preview debuted at the boutique film festival in Telluride last week, but the raves coming out of Toronto are likely the crucial second step in what looks certain to be a triumphant awards campaign.

McQueen's third feature as director, following 2008's Hunger and 2011's Shame, 12 Years a Slave is very faithfully adapted from the memoir by Solomon Northup, a free man living with his family in relative affluence near New York, who in 1841 was duped, drugged, abducted and sold into slavery. John Ridley adapted the book for the big screen, McQueen's partner, Bianca Stigter - who he thanked on stage before the premiere - was the person who originally suggested it as a source.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Solomon's first, more progressive owner; Michael Fassbender - McQueen's longterm collaborator - his much less benevolent second. Slave shares much of the aesthetic (particularly the unflinching violence) that distinguished McQueen's earlier films, yet here the splashy tech setpieces have been cast aside. This is a film in the service of both its story and a hero who's much more unequivocally sympathetic than those from Hunger and Shame. The odd flash of McQueen's installation-origins remains - a burnt piece of paper in the pitch black night, its embers dying like shrinking larvae - but this is also accessible and immediate; a winning mix of mainstream and arthouse.

After the final credits rolled, McQueen returned to the stage with his cast and crew, including Brad Pitt, who as well as producing through his Plan B label, also plays a sympathetic carpenter. Of the decision to back the project, Pitt said: "Steve was the first to ask the big question: why have there not been more films on American history of slavery? It took a Brit to ask it …. And I just have to say: if I never get to participate in a film again, this is it for me."

The premiere is likely also it for the festival, just one day in. If the notion that 12 Years a Slave won't win the best picture Oscar seems absurd to those who've seen it, the idea that it wouldn't take the audience award - the sole honour at the Toronto film festival - is plain insane.

Solid Snake
09-09-13, 01:30 PM
White people. Always the worst to contain their emotions at slave films.

Seriously though, Black man McQueen is a director I'm excited for.

Dr. DVD
09-09-13, 04:33 PM
When does this open? I've been interested since I first saw that preview. I am happy to see Ejiofor finally getting some recognition as an actor.

Solid Snake
09-09-13, 04:58 PM
For sure. That guy needs lead roles bad. Red Belt was his first and last, no?

DonnachaOne
09-09-13, 05:48 PM
For sure. That guy needs lead roles bad. Red Belt was his first and last, no?

Dirty Pretty Things, Snake.

DaveyJoe
09-09-13, 05:55 PM
Dirty Pretty Things, Snake.

He was the main character but that bitch Audrey Tatou stole top billing!

Dan
09-09-13, 05:59 PM
Kinky Boots!

The Bus
10-09-13, 07:14 AM
Saw this last night. Very, very good film. Technically masterful, superb performances from all the leads. My stomach was in knots for most of the running time.

Highly recommended.

Ash Ketchum
10-09-13, 12:56 PM
White people. Always the worst to contain their emotions at slave films.

Seriously though, Black man McQueen is a director I'm excited for.

I wish he'd change his name to that. Every time I see his name, I immediately think of one of my favorite childhood stars:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Bullitt_poster.jpg

EddieMoney
10-09-13, 01:15 PM
The title made me think of these two. Then I realized their first collaboration was more than twelve years ago.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID9626/images/JohnnyDeppTimBurtonUltimateFan3(4).jpg

inri222
10-09-13, 01:41 PM
The title made me think of these two. Then I realized their first collaboration was more than twelve years ago.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID9626/images/JohnnyDeppTimBurtonUltimateFan3(4).jpg

:lol:

Hokeyboy
10-09-13, 02:56 PM

:mad:

Chadm
01-08-14, 07:27 AM
Good GOD I hate Armond White.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/ny-film-critics-circle-apologizes-for-steve-mcqueen-heckling-latest-outburst-in-classless-oscar-campaign-season/

riotinmyskull
01-08-14, 07:37 AM
Good GOD I hate Armond White.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/ny-film-critics-circle-apologizes-for-steve-mcqueen-heckling-latest-outburst-in-classless-oscar-campaign-season/

the Kanye West of film critics

Shannon Nutt
01-08-14, 09:07 AM
Just wondering how many people out there still have this film playing in their area? It played in one or two locations for about two weeks in my area, and hasn't been around since before Thanksgiving. I'm expecting it to return to theaters once the Oscar nominations are out, but I just wanted to see if other areas had a very short and limited run like Pittsburgh had.