DVD Talk
Three Stooges Ultimate Collection pre-order 44.99 on bestbuy.com [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Three Stooges Ultimate Collection pre-order 44.99 on bestbuy.com

mitch079
05-31-12, 08:14 PM
Searched and did not see:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Three+Stooges%3A+Ultimate+Collection+(20pc)+-+Subtitle+-+DVD/5423499.p?id=2381893&skuId=5423499&st=three%20stooges%20ultimate&lp=1&cp=1

Available for in store pickup pre-order or free shipping. I believe this is the cheapest yet.

rdf8585
05-31-12, 09:22 PM
That's an unbelievably good price. Best I've seen by at least 15 bucks.

bigjim25
05-31-12, 09:23 PM
Great deal. I preordered from Columbia House for around $64 when they had that Buy 1 Get up to 19 DVDs or BR 70% off each or I'd jump on it. It was my Buy 1 so I can't cancel without screwing the rest of the order up. I did get 30 bonus points for ordering it though.

My Other Self
05-31-12, 09:26 PM
Deal of the year for those that don't have the separate boxes already. I don't regret buying them individually the days they were released, but $44.99 is what I've paid for only 2 of the 8 sets after tax.

kstublen
05-31-12, 10:14 PM
I always put off getting the individual sets, even when Amazon had some great sales on them, and now I'm glad I did. Getting all eight volumes and the bonus discs for under $50 is a steal. I'm actually pretty surprised that they're selling it at such a discount so soon. Ordered it immediately for in-store pickup. Thanks for posting about this mitch079!

AdamGott
05-31-12, 10:30 PM
Thanks. Cancelled my Amazon pre-order and ordered in store pickup.

dsa_shea
05-31-12, 11:16 PM
I just cancelled my CH order for about 6 dollars more even after taxes. I won't have to wait for CH's pony express to get it out either and set it for pickup in store on release day. Now, I just have to hope that CH actually follows through with my request to cancel. Thanks for the heads up on this deal OP!!!

ernestrp
06-01-12, 04:09 AM
Thanks. Cancelled my Amazon order which was listed as arriving between June 11 -15 (with free shipping). Might as well pick it up at BB and save some money.

Manzana
06-01-12, 10:14 AM
Wow. What are you trying to do to me BB? I just placed 2 orders this morning for other suprise stuff on sale and now this. Then I ordered The Darkness II and Planet Earth SE within the last week, I think. BB keeps making me buy from them by having the best deals even though my in-store experiences are often not so great.

This is my first ever BB preorder, and I chose free shipping over in-store pickup because I have no experience with how it works but have this built-in worry that BB won't get enough copies on release date and who knows how long I'll have to wait. I'm hoping the BB.com preorder will ship by June 5th at the latest. Or is a BB in-store preorder guaranteed (as in they actually order enough to cover all their preorders)?

My Amazon order for $69.99 (it's unbelievable to me they jacked the price up to $90+ on the preorder considering the Buy deal and now the BB deal) also shows it won't ship until June 11th. Can I trust that? As someone who doesn't trust stores at all not to cancel an order on me because they ran out of stock or decided it was too good of a deal (which has happened many times to me at many different stores), I prefer to leave my Amazon order intact until I get shipping notice from BB. So I hope Amazon doesn't move up the order ship date from June 11th and force me to return it.

Another dumb question (related to Amazon so it may be out of place but when has that ever stopped me)... does anyone know why Amazon's free super saver shipping for both The Three Stooges Ultimate and John Carter Blu-Ray both of which release on June 5th show a ship date of June 11th? Does Amazon always delay free super saver shipping preorders several days or did they not order enough initially so they have to wait for a second batch of inventory to ship to us non-Prime people?

hasslein
06-01-12, 10:19 AM
Thanks! Pre ordered & will be selling off the eight volumes I already purchased once received.

stingermck
06-01-12, 10:23 AM
Done! Amazing price, thanks OP

wishbone
06-01-12, 10:28 AM
Ordered, thanks OP!

rdf8585
06-01-12, 01:35 PM
I wish I could get out of my buy.com pre-order of 61.99, but they pretty explcility state pre-orders can't be canceled.

This $44.99 price really is a surprise and comes out of nowhere. Blows everyone else out by 15 or more dollars. Amazing when you consider the original 8 volumes seemingly sold well with an MSRP of 24.95 each and plus there's a very highly desired 9th volume in here....

dsa_shea
06-01-12, 04:04 PM
I wish I could get out of my buy.com pre-order of 61.99, but they pretty explcility state pre-orders can't be canceled.

That is a bunch of shit if you ask me.

That'sAllFolks
06-01-12, 04:18 PM
^^^^^

I'd still call and try. Never hurts to ask.

Trevor
06-01-12, 04:24 PM
Crap. Still haven't opened any of my 8 volumes. Hope they end up selling those three bonus discs separately.

jr7936
06-01-12, 04:31 PM
I don't see this dropping any lower then this. I feel it might be the same price for a lighting deal during black friday.
Part of me think this is an error on bestbuy.com since its way more on amazon and even 62 on bn.com

rmw650
06-01-12, 04:49 PM
That is the best price you're going to find for this set and to have the bonus discs as well, makes it a steal of a deal. I'm waiting for the separate release of the rare treasures box set as I already bought the 8 volumes for a friend.

ProfessorEcho
06-01-12, 06:32 PM
Thanks for posting, Mitch. Still more than I wanted to spend right now, but I didn't want to miss out. So if I can just cool it on buying between now and my birthday at the end of the month I can claim this as an early b-day gift. Let's see how this plan works. ;)

mzupeman2
06-01-12, 06:56 PM
Crap. Still haven't opened any of my 8 volumes. Hope they end up selling those three bonus discs separately.

I think they were going to, but I read within the last few days somewhere thay someone called Sony go ask them if they were still doing that... and they said no. Take that with a large grain of salt though.

ernestrp
06-02-12, 04:07 AM
I think they were going to, but I read within the last few days somewhere thay someone called Sony go ask them if they were still doing that... and they said no. Take that with a large grain of salt though.

Maybe the demand was not great enough for Sony on the "Ultimate" and they offered a large quantity to BB at reduced price to move them? I doubt from what I have read about BB recently that they would be selling the "Ultimate" at a loss. I guess that could be a reason for seperate release of the 3 bonus discs not to happen any time soon.

mzupeman2
06-02-12, 10:05 AM
Maybe the demand was not great enough for Sony on the "Ultimate" and they offered a large quantity to BB at reduced price to move them? I doubt from what I have read about BB recently that they would be selling the "Ultimate" at a loss. I guess that could be a reason for seperate release of the 3 bonus discs not to happen any time soon.

Best Buy has nothing to do with whether Sony sells the bonus discs separately or not. Sony more than likely wants you to double dip in order to obtain the bonus discs.

rmw650
06-02-12, 06:39 PM
Let's hope those rumors of Sony NOT releasing the Rare Treasures set as a separate entity are unfounded and they reconsider. Just can't afford to double-dip on this series, no matter how good this price is on the set.

mzupeman2
06-02-12, 09:50 PM
I'll say this though - My order shipped, and I don't already own any of the previous releases. I'm a happy fella!

smurr05
06-03-12, 10:28 AM
My Buy.com order for $ 66.00+ shipped friday but got an RMA # to return it for a refund and ordered 1 @ BB for this great price and in-store pick-up this Tues! $20.00 Cheaper even with tax!!! Thanks OP!!!:banana:

Manzana
06-03-12, 12:13 PM
Yay for BB.com shipping these on Friday! I canceled my Amazon preorder easily yesterday when I got the shipping notice. Thankfully I had canceled my original Buy.com order about a month ago (and doing that was a hassle). It's amazing how unpredictable these types of sales are. I would've never guessed it would be $44.99 anywhere. Fortunately I sold my separate sets (all 7) for about $100 net on eBay earlier this year. I'll be happy with this $44.99 price until I see it on sale for $44.98 or less somewhere :D... never know how long that'll take.

rdf8585
06-03-12, 05:27 PM
What's everyone's best guess as to why this is so relatively cheap? I'm not even referring to this blowout price from BB, the the MSRP is "only" $95.99. The original 8 sets, which sold well by all accounts, MSRPed for 24.95 each. Plus there's a 9th set in here. Early on, it was believe it was a $159.95 MSRP.

The Lost Honeymooners set from last fall with 5 fewer discs had an MSRP of $129.

g
06-03-12, 06:31 PM
They probably decided they want to sell more of them. I wonder if Amazon will match best buy. Everyone should report the price to them. That is the one competitor they like to match.

Zbu
06-03-12, 09:59 PM
I'm guessing it has something with the movie not doing as well as it was supposed to. Sony tried to cash in with an ultimate set, and now is just getting rid of them as soon as possible. That said, what exactly is on the three extra discs? I was going to dip at $62, but then I realized I can't really justify it. Is it the movies or just random other stuff?

hasslein
06-03-12, 10:08 PM
My concern was that it may be a best buy exclusive "spindle" set.

rdf8585
06-03-12, 11:09 PM
I'm guessing it has something with the movie not doing as well as it was supposed to. Sony tried to cash in with an ultimate set, and now is just getting rid of them as soon as possible. That said, what exactly is on the three extra discs? I was going to dip at $62, but then I realized I can't really justify it. Is it the movies or just random other stuff?

Rockin' In The Rockies (1945) (feature film with Curly)
Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959) (feature film with Curly Joe)

Shemp Howard solo shorts

Home On The Rage (1938)
The Glove Slingers (1939)
Pleased To Mitt You (1940)
Money Squawks (1940)
Boobs In The Woods (1940)
Pick A Peck Of Plumbers (1944)
Open Season For Saps (1944)
A Hit With A Miss (1945)
Off Again, On Again (1945)
Where The Pest Begins (1945)
Jiggers, My Wife (1946)
Mr. Noisy (1946)
Society Mugs (1946)
Bride And Gloom (1947)

Joe Besser solo shorts

Waiting In The Lurch (1949)
Dizzy Yardbird (1950)
Fraidy Cat (1950)
Caught On The Bounce (1952)
Aim, Fire, Scoot (1952)
Spies And Guys (1953)
The Fire Chaser (1954)
G.I. Dood It (1955)
Hook A Crook (1955)
Army Daze (1956)

Joe DeRita solo shorts

Slappily Married (1946)
The Good Bad Egg (1947)
Wedlock Deadlock (1947)
Jitter Bughouse (1948)

Columbia Color Rhapsody cartoons

The Bon Bon Parade (1935)
The Merry Mutineers (1936)
A Hollywood Detour (1942)

rdf8585
06-04-12, 01:31 AM
If Sony wanted to cash in on the Stooges reboot (a Fox movie) then they should have stuck to the original March 27 release date. I'm not sure why this was pushed back over two months. I don't think anyone expected the reboot to be a BIG box office success to begin with, but it did respectable. It did a lot better than the Honeymooners reboot, for comparison sake.

Pizza
06-04-12, 02:18 AM
Great deal! Order placed.

jr7936
06-04-12, 10:51 AM
Just got the email from best buy that my reserved item for in store pickup which is three stooges will be ready to pick up Tuesday
Looks like its not a price mistake at all

smurr05
06-05-12, 05:32 AM
Just got the email from best buy that my reserved item for in store pickup which is three stooges will be ready to pick up Tuesday
Looks like its not a price mistake at all

Ditto!:D

mzupeman2
06-05-12, 05:45 AM
Yeah, mine had shipped and is going to be delivered to my house today. Can't wait!

Phibes
06-05-12, 08:41 AM
Me deux, but I'll believe it when I have it in hand since my BB has a habit of not being able to find their own stock....-rolleyes-

Ditto!:D

wishbone
06-05-12, 08:43 AM
Received mine yesterday, looks like a nice set. Thanks again OP!

Phibes
06-05-12, 08:48 AM
Spindle pack or repackage of other releases with bonus disc? The pics I could find online made it look like it was a compilation of those volumes with a new set of the extras.

Received mine yesterday, looks like a nice set. Thanks again OP!

wishbone
06-05-12, 09:03 AM
Spindle pack or repackage of other releases with bonus disc? The pics I could find online made it look like it was a compilation of those volumes with a new set of the extras.http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5446/threestoogesultimatecol.jpg

I have not opened it yet but it looks to be a repackage of other the releases with the bonus disc.

This is the picture on the back of the main box.

mzupeman2
06-05-12, 11:12 AM
I seriously doubt it is a spindle pack. The other week Best Buy had this for the same price as Amazon... $69.99. BB probably reduced the price to get a leg up over their competition, without realizing Amazon has since upped their price to 90.

rdf8585
06-05-12, 11:27 AM
Someone got theirs yesterday over at moronika.com - the original 8 volumes are packaged as they were, but the 3 bonus discs stray from the other packaging used and are housed on one spindle (a pretty major disappointment in a set with a 95.99 MSRP).

ernestrp
06-05-12, 12:03 PM
I was at BB when the doors opened and went to the pick-up. As usual the guy could not find it. He called someone and told them it said it was picked the day before. He tells me it was back in the inventory and someone would be bringing it up. A few minutes later a woman brings it up and said it was the only one the store got. It was 10:12 when I was walking out the store with it.

rdf8585
06-05-12, 12:13 PM
I was at BB when the doors opened and went to the pick-up. As usual the guy could not find it. He called someone and told them it said it was picked the day before. He tells me it was back in the inventory and someone would be bringing it up. A few minutes later a woman brings it up and said it was the only one the store got. It was 10:12 when I was walking out the store with it.

Did your bonus discs get scratched from being stacked on one spindle?

ernestrp
06-05-12, 12:51 PM
Did your bonus discs get scratched from being stacked on one spindle?

Just opened the bonus discs.....Not a single scratch on any, yet.....

Phibes
06-05-12, 01:26 PM
The spirit of the Stooges was with me because when I got there... they pulled the wrong thing. One of the older two discs sets :(

They finally found it, but I kept expecting the three of them to start punching and poking one another, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. ;)

jr7936
06-05-12, 01:45 PM
when i was picking mine up for in store pickup, the cashier said to me, damn that thing is huge. when he saw the price of it on sale, he agreed with me that it probably won't be going down in price anymore. It might just stay the same price on black friday he though. he also called it a loss leader and he thinks that is why best buy had it so cheap

btw the set looks so nice and lovely and the total run time is 3867 min. the bonus discs are 11 hours by themselves

Phibes
06-05-12, 01:48 PM
One thing I did notice is that the sticker on the front makes it look like the set has a MSRP of $69.99. My assumption is that they put the MSRP on those stickers or something close to it. Of course, online doesn't have a MSRP listed.

bigjim25
06-05-12, 01:58 PM
Are the sets sealed inside or are they openned?

Phibes
06-05-12, 01:59 PM
In my set, everything is individually shrinkwrapped, even the bonus disc. Its the same sets that have been coming out over the years. That makes me wonder if the bonus disc coming out on its own rumors someday are true.

Are the sets sealed inside or are they openned?

dsa_shea
06-05-12, 02:03 PM
The bonus discs are in a black case and are stacked on top of each other on a longer spindle like center. I'm a bit disappointed in their choice of cases for these discs.

bigjim25
06-05-12, 02:14 PM
In my set, everything is individually shrinkwrapped, even the bonus disc. Its the same sets that have been coming out over the years. That makes me wonder if the bonus disc coming out on its own rumors someday are true.

I hope mine are sealed too. I'm selling Vol.1-8 and keeping my old ones if they are. Should be able to recoup most of the costs for the 8 volumes. I paid more than $45 for mine though. I already had it ordered from Columbia House.

rdf8585
06-05-12, 02:22 PM
One thing I did notice is that the sticker on the front makes it look like the set has a MSRP of $69.99. My assumption is that they put the MSRP on those stickers or something close to it. Of course, online doesn't have a MSRP listed.

Most everyone else has a 95.99 MSRP.... WalMart has it at a 159 MSRP.

Phibes
06-05-12, 02:24 PM
I'd imagine that all the sets are the same. Hopefully you can get them listed before prices start to crater from all the folks planning on doing the same.

I never bought any of the Stooges sets so I'm happy with the set, not that the temptation for a turnaround wasn't tempting. ;)

I hope mine are sealed too. I'm selling Vol.1-8 and keeping my old ones if they are. Should be able to recoup most of the costs for the 8 volumes. I paid more than $45 for mine though. I already had it ordered from Columbia House.

rdf8585
06-05-12, 02:26 PM
The bonus discs are in a black case and are stacked on top of each other on a longer spindle like center. I'm a bit disappointed in their choice of cases for these discs.

I'm disappointed as well. I'm still waiting for mine to come, but hope they aren't scratched. Why use different packaging styles on the same set? That kind of packaging is second rate at best, not something I'd expect in a set MSRP'ed at almost 100 dollars. I'll have to use alternative cases, again, but then things probably won't fit into the outer box anymore.

I'm not picky, but there are a few things that are huge annoyances for me -

1) double sided discs
2) paper/cardboard sleeve packaging
3) stacked discs

dsa_shea
06-05-12, 02:43 PM
I will look for a standard dvd case with 3 disc spaces to replace the crappy case the set came with. However, this isn't something the consumer should have to do for an "Ultimate" set. They could have easily squeezed the three discs into two slim cases and an outer cover like the other 8 volumes.

rdf8585
06-05-12, 02:54 PM
I will look for a standard dvd case with 3 disc spaces to replace the crappy case the set came with. However, this isn't something the consumer should have to do for an "Ultimate" set. They could have easily squeezed the three discs into two slim cases and an outer cover like the other 8 volumes.

You should run their home video division based on that post alone.

Does anyone have photos of the bonus case and the inside of it?

dsa_shea
06-05-12, 03:40 PM
Here is the cover with the case opened up:
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/dsa_shea/2012-06-05153615.jpg

Here is the stack of discs and the solo spindle:
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/dsa_shea/2012-06-05153649.jpg

Sorry for the crappy resolution on the first but I can never seem to get the right lighting inside the house.

rdf8585
06-05-12, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the pics! That's pretty weak that they don't even give short summaries of the bonus disc films (as they did for the 190 shorts).

Mantas
06-05-12, 05:01 PM
HI.
Any of you that already got the full set, could check if every disc has Closed Captions (even the bonus discs)?

Also, Best Buy states that the collection is subtitled. Is that right? Which language is the subtitle?

Spoken lenguage is only English, right?
Thank you.

smurr05
06-05-12, 05:53 PM

Yeah my set is the same way and it pisses me off like Y'all.:( I've already been looking online for a single size 3 disc amaray case which MAMY sights offer BUT you gotta buy a minimum of 100!!! Does anyone know where you can purchase these cases on an individual basis??? Someone must sell them individually NO??? Any info would be appreciated. Please email me if you could with any info on where to get a single case-
thanks for the help-
still worth the $45.00 for this set IMO!!!:D

dsa_shea
06-05-12, 05:59 PM
This set is well worth the 45 bucks and in no way am I disappointed in what I got. I am just disappointed that some companies are still so short sighted that they can't do an Ultimate Edition right.

g
06-05-12, 06:59 PM
They restored the free shipping today so I went for it earlier.

rmw650
06-05-12, 07:13 PM
As I stated before, you can't go wrong for this set and at that price as a few stores have already sold out of them in my area as of this writing. I just hate to double-dip on this series just to9 get the Rare Treasures set. Hoping they release that individually soon.

Subgeniusguy
06-05-12, 09:12 PM
My BB set arrived yesterday. I traded in the unopened individual sets from the box on Amazon as new and just kept the old ones I had opened. I basically came out even and got the bonus discs and the big box. The individual sets in the big box have the same UPC markings as the previously issued ones. They did not appear to differ in any way. Maybe I could have done a little better selling them on Ebay but I didn't care to invest anymore time into it. Thanks to the OP for pointing out the bargain.

smurr05
06-06-12, 06:19 AM
Yeah my set is the same way and it pisses me off like Y'all.:( I've already been looking online for a single size 3 disc amaray case which MAMY sights offer BUT you gotta buy a minimum of 100!!! Does anyone know where you can purchase these cases on an individual basis??? Someone must sell them individually NO??? Any info would be appreciated. Please email me if you could with any info on where to get a single case-
thanks for the help-
still worth the $45.00 for this set IMO!!!:D

Anyone point me as to where I can get a single size 3 disc holding amaray case? Anyone know where? Any help would be greatly appreciated-

JoeDoakes
06-06-12, 08:53 AM
Anyone point me as to where I can get a single size 3 disc holding amaray case? Anyone know where? Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Would two extra trays even fit in that size case? Many Big Lots still have copies of the 3 Disk Peter Jackson King Kong for $3. The disks would fit into it, but the case used is fatter than the standard size DVD case. Some Big Lots may also have the four disk cartoon Silver Hawks for $3 and it has trays, and the case the Big Lots forum claims is standard size. Personally, I would have preferred if Sony had packaged the bonus disks better. I also would have preferred if they had put remastered copies of the other Columbia theatrical films in the set as well. However, considering what they made available for $45, I can't complain.

Lang Thompson
06-06-12, 03:04 PM
I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. Of course this wasn't mentioned in the voice mail and who reads routine email with the subject "Your order is ready for pickup"? I understand the security reasons for this policy but I had a driver's license, other ID, phone number and email that all matched. The employee wouldn't get a manager or arrange for alternate payment so they just lost me as a customer.

wishbone
06-06-12, 03:06 PM
You don't carry your credit card with you along with your driver's license, other ID, etc.?

SkullOrchard
06-06-12, 03:15 PM
I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup.
Isn't that pretty much standard procedure everywhere?

mike7162
06-06-12, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Lang Thompson;11261766]I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. QUOTE]

Yeah, I would think that would be standard procedure - particularly if the payment was made with that card. I don't see why they couldn't have worked something else out, though.
I had misplaced my order number and didn't have it when I picked mine up; however, they were very accomodating and took my Driver's license and credit card as enough. It seems that customer service depends on the random person you run into anymore - there is no standard.

mike7162
06-06-12, 03:29 PM
HI.
Any of you that already got the full set, could check if every disc has Closed Captions (even the bonus discs)?

Also, Best Buy states that the collection is subtitled. Is that right? Which language is the subtitle?

Spoken lenguage is only English, right?
Thank you.

English only, yes.The discs are closed captioned (including the bonus discs) and there are English subtitles (they are yellow, of which I am not a fan)

smurr05
06-06-12, 04:25 PM
Would two extra trays even fit in that size case? Many Big Lots still have copies of the 3 Disk Peter Jackson King Kong for $3. The disks would fit into it, but the case used is fatter than the standard size DVD case. Some Big Lots may also have the four disk cartoon Silver Hawks for $3 and it has trays, and the case the Big Lots forum claims is standard size. Personally, I would have preferred if Sony had packaged the bonus disks better. I also would have preferred if they had put remastered copies of the other Columbia theatrical films in the set as well. However, considering what they made available for $45, I can't complain.

yes I have seen normal sized and have normal sized cases that have up to 6 dvd's in them but all I could find online were minimum orders of 100 or more and hell I only need is 1!

rmw650
06-06-12, 05:02 PM
Now I'm reading on Amazon.com that a couple of people phoned Sony HE and they stated the Rare Treasures will NOT be released as a separate entity. It might also be a canned response from Sony's CSRs, so if anyone has any official info on this particular DVD and whether it'll be released or not, please let me know. Tried contacting them myself recently and got no answer.

mzupeman2
06-06-12, 05:10 PM
Now I'm reading on Amazon.com that a couple of people phoned Sony HE and they stated the Rare Treasures will NOT be released as a separate entity. It might also be a canned response from Sony's CSRs, so if anyone has any official info on this particular DVD and whether it'll be released or not, please let me know. Tried contacting them myself recently and got no answer.

I reported the same find a few days ago. Let us know what Sony tells you.

rmw650
06-06-12, 05:19 PM
I reported the same find a few days ago. Let us know what Sony tells you.

Just called Sony HE and they told me they would need to do some research on this matter and by the week's end, I should know officially whether or not this Rare Treasures DVD set will be made available separately. Will keep everyone posted when I find out something.

rmw650
06-06-12, 05:51 PM
Just called Sony HE and they told me they would need to do some research on this matter and by the week's end, I should know officially whether or not this Rare Treasures DVD set will be made available separately. Will keep everyone posted when I find out something.

UPDATE: As i promised everyone, I figured this was going to happen as i just got the official word from Brian at Sony HE and it states as follows verbatim:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

The Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set, unfortunately will not be released seperately by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. You may find the Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set sold seperately on www.amazon.com, www.ebay.com, or other similar shopping sites.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Brian Griffin
SPHE Consumer Affairs

There you have it guys and gals. It's official. Damn I hate double-dipping.

ProfessorEcho
06-06-12, 06:22 PM
It doesn't surprise me given the relatively limited appeal of the bonus set, but still you would think they could at least do burned MODs on those discs and offer them at a reduced rate. It's once again a slap in the face to people who bought the individual sets. The more examples I see of this, and there are sadly many, the more value I place on patience.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
06-06-12, 07:23 PM
I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. Of course this wasn't mentioned in the voice mail and who reads routine email with the subject "Your order is ready for pickup"? I understand the security reasons for this policy but I had a driver's license, other ID, phone number and email that all matched. The employee wouldn't get a manager or arrange for alternate payment so they just lost me as a customer.

Would you rather they had lost you as a customer because someone had your credit card number and just let them walk off with the product even though they couldn't produce the card?

rdf8585
06-06-12, 07:56 PM
It doesn't surprise me given the relatively limited appeal of the bonus set, but still you would think they could at least do burned MODs on those discs and offer them at a reduced rate. It's once again a slap in the face to people who bought the individual sets. The more examples I see of this, and there are sadly many, the more value I place on patience.

And sometimes you wait and the stuff goes OOP. Sometimes there's no easy answer.

It doesn't bother me as much as others, but I wonder what the bigger slap is, the exclusive bonus discs or getting all 8 + bonus for $45 (when people paid $160 for 8 originally).

Pizza
06-06-12, 09:34 PM
And sometimes you wait and the stuff goes OOP. Sometimes there's no easy answer.

It doesn't bother me as much as others, but I wonder what the bigger slap is, the exclusive bonus discs or getting all 8 + bonus for $45 (when people paid $160 for 8 originally).

I've long given up worrying about this. You're just not going to win this battle all of the time. I needed two more of the sets and definitely wanted Have Rocket Will Travel. I didn't hesitate in ordering (and it arrived today). I looked at it as a wash. I would have been sorry to miss out on that movie and was surprised when it didn't get released with the other ones.

Manzana
06-07-12, 09:35 AM
My set has been taking its sweet time in the mail. Supposedly it should be delivered today. I'm fairly happy about this $45 deal because I sold off all my separate Stooge sets for about $100 net which is a tiny bit more than I paid for them since I got most of them for $10-$11. I just hope it arrives in good condition. I'm happy they decided to include the existing sets in slim cases, but I'm not happy that the 3 bonus discs are stacked. I'll have to try to find a 3-disc DVD case that is a normal 1-DVD case in width. From the picture posted earlier in this thread, I assume I can just move the cover art paper into the new case.

BobO'Link
06-07-12, 11:56 AM
I'm *so* wanting to pull the trigger on this one. I have all 8 sets but my grandkids *love* the Stooges and would happily take the duplicates off my hands! I fully expect to waffle on it until it's no longer available...

That'sAllFolks
06-07-12, 02:07 PM
I'm *so* wanting to pull the trigger on this one. I have all 8 sets but my grandkids *love* the Stooges and would happily take the duplicates off my hands! I fully expect to waffle on it until it's no longer available...

ahhh the dilemma of so many on DVD Talk....

Though lately I have seen more and more "complete series" go OOP really fast... but most of these are not Sony products, who tend to reprint stuff until they milk the market dry.

Manzana
06-08-12, 09:01 AM
Got my set in the mail today. I haven't opened it yet, but it's in good shape and I'm happy about the price. I think for those who didn't sell their Stooges sets a few months ago like I did, it might be too late to get near $100 now as many people probably know about the $45 BB deal or the $62 Buy.com deals. However, if you even got $50 net on eBay you'd pay for the new set.

And BB forced me (yep, I had no control over it) to spend another $50 with them today with the Logitech Harmony One (new) deal. I hate to say it (OK, no I don't) but BB is having far better deals more often than Amazon and getting most of my money.

Classic Films
06-08-12, 12:09 PM

I believe they need at least the last four digits of the credit card number are needed in order to process the order. They punch the numbers into their cash register to complete the order. I don't think they can over ride that as technically its a bestbuy.com order which is different from an in store order. That said I don't see why you couldn't cancel the in store pick up order and just buy the set at the regular checkout unless the price has gone up.

Manzana
06-08-12, 12:31 PM
It's funny that Amazon still has the Three Stooges UC at $90.95, while Buy.com still has it for $61.99 delivered and now Family Video has it for $53.99 + $1.99 shipping:

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=396891

Of course the BB deal is the best if it's still active.

excom101
06-08-12, 01:30 PM
It seems that Best Buy thinks the MSRP of the set is $69.99, as that's what the price tag on the sets is in the store. Makes the sale price seem less out of line.

BobO'Link
06-08-12, 01:49 PM
I believe they need at least the last four digits of the credit card number are needed in order to process the order. They punch the numbers into their cash register to complete the order. I don't think they can over ride that as technically its a bestbuy.com order which is different from an in store order. That said I don't see why you couldn't cancel the in store pick up order and just buy the set at the regular checkout unless the price has gone up.
They verify the card *plus* they will not allow use of Virtual CC for store pickup.

The online help/FAQ which states:
Virtual and one-time-use credit cards cannot be used for Store Pickup.

That tells me the card must be plastic and they''ll not take a printout of the image of the VCC. While I much prefer use of VCC I'll grudgingly use the "real" card if I'm doing a store pickup.

It's still on sale online and available for pick up at my local store... Gotta decide on this...

ProfessorEcho
06-08-12, 05:50 PM
Pizza, I loved HAVE ROCKET when I was a kid, but seeing it again on a TCM airing a couple years ago I found it to be pretty much unwatchable. I like some of their other later films okay, but this one did not hold up for me at all. Very disappointing. Oh well, certainly not the first memory from my childhood that turned out to be better staying just a memory.

Nugent
06-08-12, 06:30 PM
It's funny that Amazon still has the Three Stooges UC at $90.95, while Buy.com still has it for $61.99 delivered and now Family Video has it for $53.99 + $1.99 shipping:

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=396891

Of course the BB deal is the best if it's still active.

Amazon has matched BB's $44.99 price.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339198061&sr=1-1&keywords=three+stooges

rmw650
06-08-12, 07:05 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339198061&sr=1-1&keywords=three+stooges

I'm thinking Amazon did this because Best Buy's sale is going on until tomorrow night and nobody was going to be dumb enough to pay almost 91 bucks for this set through them, but watch the price skyrocket back up at Amazon over the weekend...so at least until tomorrow night, both Best Buy and Amazon have solid deals on this set.

mitch079
06-08-12, 08:10 PM

http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-DVD-Cases-cln-By-Storage-Capacity-cln-3-dsh-Disc/Categories.bok

They sell some of those in quantities of 1.

My Other Self
06-09-12, 05:22 AM
Something changed along the way for Sony to cheap out on the rarities case. If you look at the promotional pic when the set was first announced, it was clearly housed in a cardboard box like the other sets in the series (look at the design on the top of the box in the pic). Either way, we should be glad enough that we got this since I'm sure anything from here on out will be MOD.

smurr05
06-09-12, 08:12 AM
http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-DVD-Cases-cln-By-Storage-Capacity-cln-3-dsh-Disc/Categories.bok

Many thanks-:thumbsup:
Does anyone know the size in mm of a standard single sized dvd case? Is it 14mm? 22mm? again thanks for any info-

dlbsyst
06-09-12, 08:18 AM
14mm.

Manzana
06-09-12, 08:20 AM

Amazon sure was as slow as heck about matching BB's price. Otherwise I would've ordered from Amazon from the start... solely because I have a bunch of credit there I'm trying to use up. I doubt it's worth all the trouble to order from Amazon now and return the one I just got to BB. I always worry about returning too much to BB (as they say there's a certain return limit (and nobody who works there knows how much the limit is) at which point you can get a 90 day ban) even though I've never had any problems.

ernestrp
06-09-12, 10:43 AM
When I cancelled my Amazon order, I told them Best Buy had it for 44.99. I was going to use my cc rewards at Amazon but I still have those to use now.

smurr05
06-09-12, 02:28 PM
14mm.

Thanks alot-:D

smurr05
06-09-12, 02:36 PM

Just tried to order one and they said I had to order a minimum of $5.00...and shipping would be over $.4.00 bringing the minimum I would have to spend would be over $9.00 just to get 1 case that I need! Fu@*ing ridiculous IMO!!!...but thanks anyway-:D

smurr05
06-09-12, 02:43 PM
My Buy.com order for $ 66.00+ shipped friday but got an RMA # to return it for a refund and ordered 1 @ BB for this great price and in-store pick-up this Tues! $20.00 Cheaper even with tax!!! Thanks OP!!!:banana:

Okay I guess the folks @ buy.com are a little screwed up! I recieved my order from them last week and sent it back for a refund with the RMA info they provided. Just now got another package in the mail from them and it was another 3 stooges Ult. set. Still only charged for 1!!! Will have to check into this but if it goes by without a charge I will have a set to sell cheaply to someone! ...To be continued...-screwy-

Trevor
06-09-12, 03:42 PM
Just tried to order one and they said I had to order a minimum of $5.00...and shipping would be over $.4.00 bringing the minimum I would have to spend would be over $9.00 just to get 1 case that I need! Fu@*ing ridiculous IMO!!!...but thanks anyway-:D

Seems incredibly reasonable to me. You have to expect some limitations on tiny orders, especially for a smallish company.

ProfessorEcho
06-09-12, 04:23 PM
Mine arrived from BB yesterday incredibly well packed. A slight ding on the box which must have been there from the start. I can live with it.

I suppose I could save myself the four dollars tax I spent, return this one to BB and buy it from Amazon but not sure it's worth the hassle.

As for the bonus features packaging, I'm going to put the discs in double sided sleeves and store them in the original case. Problem solved.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
06-09-12, 05:04 PM
I'm still waiting on my pre-order since I live in some sort of anti-mail part of the state. It started off in Washington, went down to southern California, then Arizona and now it's back in California. Based on where it's at now and how USPS typically operates, it'll then make it's way back up to Washington, Federal Way to be exact, before getting to southern Oregon.

Manzana
06-10-12, 09:10 AM
I suppose I could save myself the four dollars tax I spent, return this one to BB and buy it from Amazon but not sure it's worth the hassle.
My dilemma too, especially as I have a bunch of Amazon credit. However, I think I'm not going to bother because I am getting tired (and probably BB too) of when I buy something at BB.com having Amazon or Target have it cheaper a week later and then returning it to BB. I've never had any return troubles at BB even though there is supposedly this unknown magical return limit, but $4 and change is probably not quite worth it. Soon Amazon will charge tax in every state and then I'll be saved from this struggle. Like I said earlier, too bad Amazon usually waits days or weeks after the fact to match prices (after I've already ordered from the other source) instead of doing it right away.

My Other Self
06-10-12, 12:39 PM
I've never had any return troubles at BB even though there is supposedly this unknown magical return limitI returned two items in the past year to Best Buy and they said I only had one left. I think it's kind of weird they scan your driver's license when they take your return anyway.

Trevor
06-10-12, 12:46 PM
I returned two items in the past year to Best Buy and they said I only had one left. I think it's kind of weird they scan your driver's license when they take your return anyway.
With or without receipts?

dlbsyst
06-10-12, 01:04 PM

smurr05 try here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300638556463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$2.98 shipped to your door.;)

rbrown498
06-10-12, 01:05 PM
Does the UC contain the glasses needed to watch the two 3-D shorts in Volume 7? Just wondering, as my Volume 7 (bought singly, not in the UC) didn't come with glasses.

dlbsyst
06-10-12, 01:10 PM
Yes.

My Other Self
06-10-12, 01:10 PM
With or without receipts?With. I didn't think they'd ever accept returns without receipts. Best Buy has always had a very strict return policy.

Trevor
06-10-12, 01:32 PM
With. I didn't think they'd ever accept returns without receipts. Best Buy has always had a very strict return policy.
That's weird that they said you only had one left. I returned 6 items (out of maybe 20 items purchased, multiple receipts) all at once just the other day; and maybe 20 returns in the last year.

Maybe it works as a percentage of your purchases?

And they used to allow a few returns without receipts per year, gradually becoming more restrictive; but they still allow some YMMV, as I did one in January.

Manzana
06-10-12, 04:20 PM
With. I didn't think they'd ever accept returns without receipts. Best Buy has always had a very strict return policy.After Christmas 2010 BB took a very limited number of items without receipt, but after Christmas 2011 they said no to any such returns. I know someone in a different state who said the same thing happened. The same thing also occurred with Fry's Electronics and Kmart. It's interesting that Trevor was able to do 1 such return at BB in January of this year, but as with everything BB-related it's a huge YMMV. AFAIK, all stores have stopped accepting any returns without receipt, except Target and Walmart (which only do it under strict dollar and time limits).

mcfly, it's bizarre that you were told at BB you only have 1 return left after 2 returns with receipt. In January after my BF, CM and Christmas deals buying spree, I returned over a dozen things to BB on different receipts (I saved up all of my returns from BF week through January and did it all at once). Between then and now I've returned a few more things. They never once said a word about a return limit. I only know about this mysterious limit because after I did this someone told me he had gotten limited. Then I asked a few BB employees about it, and they said they have no clue what causes it to happen. Once again it's YMMV at BB. It sounds like different people have different limits, so who knows what it's based on. I just mentioned it above because it's a factor I consider when I find a better price at Amazon for something I already bought at BB and deciding if it's worth returning.

JHBulls
06-12-12, 12:02 PM
As I stated before, you can't go wrong for this set and at that price as a few stores have already sold out of them in my area as of this writing. I just hate to double-dip on this series just to9 get the Rare Treasures set. Hoping they release that individually soon.

Double-dipping does suck. But what I'd propose to do is buy the Ultimate Collection for $45 on Amazon.com, remove the shrink-wrapped DVD's from the box, replace them with your used volume 1-8 and keep that, as well as the Rare Treasures.

And with the shrink-wrapped volume 1-8 DVD's that came in the UC sell them on Ebay or Amazon's marketplace. Because you're selling shrink-wrapped DVD's you would more than likely be able to sell those and re-coup all your money from the UC purchase plus come out on top.

mr Articulate
06-12-12, 02:28 PM
Still on sale at Amazon and BB. I ordered one today. Thanks for the tip. nyuk, nyuk nyuk,. .owwww

rmw650
06-12-12, 06:23 PM
Double-dipping does suck. But what I'd propose to do is buy the Ultimate Collection for $45 on Amazon.com, remove the shrink-wrapped DVD's from the box, replace them with your used volume 1-8 and keep that, as well as the Rare Treasures.

And with the shrink-wrapped volume 1-8 DVD's that came in the UC sell them on Ebay or Amazon's marketplace. Because you're selling shrink-wrapped DVD's you would more than likely be able to sell those and re-coup all your money from the UC purchase plus come out on top.

JHBulls,

You might be right. Thinking that with their announcement this isn't coming out separately and the price is somewhat decent in structure (saw it at Amazon and Best Buy's site still at 45 bucks), maybe that is the way to go. I'm a stubborn guy but would like to have that Rare Treasures DVD set. I bought all the individual volumes for a friend of mine who lives out of state though, and she's happy with what she got, but was looking forward to owning this. I'll think about what you said and figure out my next move pertaining to this set. That is a hell of a deal though.

smurr05
06-12-12, 06:57 PM
smurr05 try here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300638556463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$2.98 shipped to your door.;)

Many thanks for the info! Definately appreciate the help from a fellow DVDTalker-:D

dlbsyst
06-12-12, 10:34 PM
No problem.;)

kenbenobi
06-13-12, 08:17 AM
I returned two items in the past year to Best Buy and they said I only had one left. I think it's kind of weird they scan your driver's license when they take your return anyway.
Do you do a lot of price adjustments or exchanges? Those count as returns. I'm not sure what you mean by "one left" though. I hit their return limit on December 31, most likely due to price adjustments during the holiday season. They made me sign a form stating that I cannot make any more returns for 90 days (otherwise they wouldn't process the return I was trying to do at that moment.) Since April, I've been pricematching and returning again without issue. So it's only a 90 day ban.

bacigalup
06-13-12, 08:28 AM
Still on sale at Amazon and BB. I ordered one today. Thanks for the tip. nyuk, nyuk nyuk,. .owwww

I broke down & ordered one from Best Buy for in store pickup despite having a huge backlog of unwatched titles.

I would have been a knucklehead NOT to get it at this price.

Anne
06-13-12, 09:05 AM
I ordered this a few months ago from buy.com for $63.99. It just came in the mail last week so I called them yesterday and said I wanted to return it because it was $44.99 at Bestbuy and they gave me the $19 difference! Now I’m using that $$ towards another set at Best Buy for my brother in law for Xmas. Thank you DVDTalk for the heads up!

rmw650
06-13-12, 06:28 PM
We all try to help one another on here get the best for their bucks and if it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't have known either Amazon or Best Buy had it at this price. Thanks again!

rdf8585
06-13-12, 11:02 PM
I ordered this a few months ago from buy.com for $63.99. It just came in the mail last week so I called them yesterday and said I wanted to return it because it was $44.99 at Bestbuy and they gave me the $19 difference! Now Iím using that $$ towards another set at Best Buy for my brother in law for Xmas. Thank you DVDTalk for the heads up!

Thanks. I called and got $17 back (paid 61.99). Wouldn't have thought to do that w/o your post.

g
06-14-12, 12:03 AM
I didn't know buy.com had a price match policy. That's pretty cool that they are refunding some of the money.

darkflounder
06-14-12, 10:51 AM
Just got my set for $44.99 from Amazon yesterday. Looks to be a tremendous set, the box is certainly heavy enough.

Haven't opened it, since it's meant as a gift for a friend.

rmw650
06-18-12, 06:13 PM
For those of you who have access to Antenna TV in your area and haven't gotten the Rare Treasures set...just found out Rockin in the Rockies will be airing twice on that station and since I'm in the Central Time Zone, I'll post this in those times and you can then figure out when it airs in your area timewise...it will air on 6/25/2012 at 6-8 AM CT and again on 6/30/2012 at 4-6 AM CT...the Outlaws is Coming airs right after the first flick on 6/25/2012 from 8-10 AM CT and then again on 7/1/2012 from 4-6 AM CT...hope that helps.

Jack Straw
06-24-12, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking Amazon did this because Best Buy's sale is going on until tomorrow night and nobody was going to be dumb enough to pay almost 91 bucks for this set through them, but watch the price skyrocket back up at Amazon over the weekend...so at least until tomorrow night, both Best Buy and Amazon have solid deals on this set. Still is $44.99 at Amazon. So much for your theory.

Manzana
06-25-12, 09:34 AM
Still is $44.99 at Amazon. So much for your theory.
Maybe because it's still $44.99 at BB? I'm wondering if that's going to be the normal price at BB. That means BB got them pretty cheap from Sony. Anyone who hasn't gotten this set yet should seriously do an in-store pickup order to get the extra $10 coupon as long as you add a >= $5.01 filler item. I wouldn't wait too long as we never know how long the price will last, but it has been over 3 weeks so far.

excom101
06-25-12, 09:40 AM
Maybe because it's still $44.99 at BB? I'm wondering if that's going to be the normal price at BB. That means BB got them pretty cheap from Sony. Anyone who hasn't gotten this set yet should seriously do an in-store pickup order to get the extra $10 coupon as long as you add a >= $5.01 filler item. I wouldn't wait too long as we never know how long the price will last, but it has been over 3 weeks so far.

The shelf tags have said that the price runs until 6/30 since day one. It-- like a lot of other titles like the Sopranos, Life, Planet Earth, Deadwood, etc-- is/was part of a Father's Day promotion that ran all month. What I'm curious about is the fact that the standard BBY tags for the set all say $69.99. BBY seems to think that $69.99 is the MSRP, which may be how the low prices all around got started.

rmw650
06-25-12, 03:30 PM
Still is $44.99 at Amazon. So much for your theory.

And your point being? Like I knew Amazon would keep their price at $44.99 as I don't control how they price stuff. Last i checked, it's still listed as 44.99 at both stores but it could change at an instant, especially with Amazon. Maybe my theory still can be proven unless you have a theory to compose.

excom101
07-01-12, 10:10 PM
As expected, the sale price on these disappeared today. Best Buy, however, still believes the MSRP is $69.99, so that's the price they are at BBY and they're ~$65 at Amazon.

mgdeals
07-02-12, 12:55 AM
Got mine at $45, which seemed like a great deal compared to what the separates sets used to cost. But the fact that nobody sold out with the price at $45 for so long, and every bestbuy store I went to had about 5 sets sitting on the shelf suggests the regular price will probably never go back to $90 at most places, and $70 or lower will be the norm. Probably most of the stooge fans who would buy this already bought the separate sets.

BobO'Link
07-02-12, 08:33 AM
...Probably most of the stooge fans who would buy this already bought the separate sets.
I tend to agree. I fall into that camp and just couldn't justify the double-dip as the only extra item I truly want is Rockin' In The Rockies. Should they come around and make that set available separately as originally intended I may purchase a copy. If not... I decided to take a chance that by Black Friday it'll be offered less than that ~$45 price and may pick up one at that point.

rmw650
07-02-12, 05:03 PM
I tend to agree. I fall into that camp and just couldn't justify the double-dip as the only extra item I truly want is Rockin' In The Rockies. Should they come around and make that set available separately as originally intended I may purchase a copy. If not... I decided to take a chance that by Black Friday it'll be offered less than that ~$45 price and may pick up one at that point.

Bob, they just showed that movie you mentioned on Antenna TV this past weekend and it was OK, as Curly was starting to age a little bit and Moe played separately from Larry and Curly in the flick. I taped it and if you want a copy, let me know, with or without commercials. As of today, the sale at both Amazon.com and Best Buy are over and the sets are up to 65 bucks on average.

mr Articulate
07-09-12, 01:45 PM
Now that I have this Ultimate Collection, is it safe to get rid of the single discs I got at Big Lots for $3 or do those discs ( "Dizzy Doctors", "Cops and Robbers", etc) have something the collection does not - I know the single discs offer colorized versions of some shorts.

Manzana
07-10-12, 09:56 AM
Let me add a variation of Mr. Articulate's question:

For those who taped The Three Stooges shorts long ago off channels which supposedly did not edit them, can all of those tapes be discarded too? In other words, are all of the shorts in this set 100% complete and unedited?

rmw650
07-10-12, 04:52 PM
Let me add a variation of Mr. Articulate's question:

For those who taped The Three Stooges shorts long ago off channels which supposedly did not edit them, can all of those tapes be discarded too? In other words, are all of the shorts in this set 100% complete and unedited?

From what i have read and heard of this particular set, they are uncut and unedited but if you do get the set, my advice is check out the discs first by just fast-forwarding them (most DVD players allow you to super fast forward your way through them but just hit the button once on your remote, if it has that capability) to make sure it is of the uncut variety and then once you have gone through them all, then you should be good to go and you can dispose of the VHS edited ones. Just a suggestion.

rdf8585
07-10-12, 06:14 PM
The shorts here are all uncut and unedited. The prior Sony DVD releases didn't have anything these don't.

Lije Baley
08-26-12, 04:52 PM
Crap. First I buy all the early Columbia Stooge DVDs, except those with the colorized shorts. Then, like so many here, I happily bought each of the eight releases of the Collection as they were released, at whatever Amazon was charging ($14-$18?). I've moved to Blu pretty much, so I was not checking the DVD forum when the Ultimate box dropped to $45. What a deal that was!

I found the thread as I researched ways to get the Rare Treasures discs. The easiest course would be to get them for $29 from Amazon's marketplace. Easy, schmeezy, I decided to order the Ultimate box for its current $65. With luck, I can still sell the new-condition eight collections for $40 or more and reduce the cost of the Treasures. Still, I hate to think how much I've spent and will not recover buying all these discs as they were released. The lesson seems to be to wait until a series is completely released.

rmw650
08-26-12, 10:40 PM
Crap. First I buy all the early Columbia Stooge DVDs, except those with the colorized shorts. Then, like so many here, I happily bought each of the eight releases of the Collection as they were released, at whatever Amazon was charging ($14-$18?). I've moved to Blu pretty much, so I was not checking the DVD forum when the Ultimate box dropped to $45. What a deal that was!

I found the thread as I researched ways to get the Rare Treasures discs. The easiest course would be to get them for $29 from Amazon's marketplace. Easy, schmeezy, I decided to order the Ultimate box for its current $65. With luck, I can still sell the new-condition eight collections for $40 or more and reduce the cost of the Treasures. Still, I hate to think how much I've spent and will not recover buying all these discs as they were released. The lesson seems to be to wait until a series is completely released.

Don't feel too bad now as we were all hoping the Rare Treasures DVD set was going to come out as a separate entity, but it didn't and just too expensive to buy at Amazon at this time for me, but hoping it does go down in price and i can get it at a decent price in the process. Some shows will get released completely but some won't, so it all depends on the market and demand for said shows. I held off buying Charlie's Angels until S5 came out and now the whole series comes out in a month's time.

Manzana
08-31-12, 01:15 AM
I just looked at Fry's Electronic's ad starting 8/31/12 and guess what... the Three Stooges Ultimate Collection will be $29.99. Unfortunately for me (and a lot of us) Fry's waited 1 week past my 60 day (for Silver members) return policy at BB, and I assume most other people also bought it in late June. Had this deal happened a week earlier, I would've bought this from Fry's and returned the BB one to save myself $15. I thought $44.99 was cheap, but $29.99 is really cheap.

Maybe Fry's will have free shipping early Friday morning if you're lucky once the price updates. With Fry's you never know. For those with a Fry's in the area who never bought it, it's pricematching time at BB with the Fry's ad.

Kedrix
08-31-12, 10:05 AM
I just looked at Fry's Electronic's ad starting 8/31/12 and guess what... the Three Stooges Ultimate Collection will be $29.99. Unfortunately for me (and a lot of us) Fry's waited 1 week past my 60 day (for Silver members) return policy at BB, and I assume most other people also bought it in late June. Had this deal happened a week earlier, I would've bought this from Fry's and returned the BB one to save myself $15. I thought $44.99 was cheap, but $29.99 is really cheap.

Maybe Fry's will have free shipping early Friday morning if you're lucky once the price updates. With Fry's you never know. For those with a Fry's in the area who never bought it, it's pricematching time at BB with the Fry's ad.

Awesome, awesome deal. I saw it too and was all like I should go get it. It's been on my Amazon wish list since it was released. But then I could not get myself to do it. It's then I realized I rather watch Abbott & Costello as opposed to the Three Stooges for my black and white comedy fix so I think I'm taking it off my wish list today. Kinda a bummer, really.

bigjim25
08-31-12, 10:27 AM
If you don't have it yet and have a chance to get it for $30 you'd be crazy to pass it up... Awesome deal. I may buy another for a Christmas gift.

BobO'Link
08-31-12, 10:37 AM
Is this in-store only? It's not showing up for the sale price on the web site. There's no store within several hundred miles of me so that's not an option.

Manzana
08-31-12, 03:53 PM
Is this in-store only? It's not showing up for the sale price on the web site. There's no store within several hundred miles of me so that's not an option.
By definition if the price online does not match the ad (which you can view online clicking the top banner), then it's in-store only. I didn't bother to look at its price online since I already have this set and wasn't going to buy another one (even as a gift). You're probably stuck since you don't have a Fry's store nearby.

Anyone who does have a Fry's, just go to Fry's or to BB and have BB call Fry's for the price. Target and Walmart do not carry this set, so it's either BB or Fry's.

BobO'Link
08-31-12, 05:08 PM
^Thanks! After reading the "fine print" on the ad I'd pretty much decided that was the case by around noon. I'd hoped they had something like a 6am start time with online stuff but it's still the ~$62 price online with a limit of 1 per household that makes you think the online price should be matching the ad. Oh well... All I really want/need is that "bonus" set and was going to give the dupes to the grandkids (they *love* the Stooges!).

rmw650
08-31-12, 06:51 PM

If that is in-store only AND ONLY IF there is a store within your area, then absolutely it's worth the trip to get that set at that deal as it'll never be cheaper than what they're advertising it for. Hell, the Rare Treasures DVD set is more expensive right now at Amazon versus the entire set alone, so yes, if you have one of these stores in your area, get it at that price! IF it's still on sale.

Corellian
09-01-12, 02:40 AM
So I just got back from Fry's. I already had all 8 sets of Three Stooges, but I really wanted the new 3 disc set that is exclusive to the new collection, so I bought a set for $30.

Now, the box was a little crushed, and the second one they had was too. I asked them about it, and they said they all were. I decided to give in and get it anyway.

To my surprise, inside the box is all 8 sets shrink-wrapped, and without anything covering the barcode. So... Instead of going through the hassle of reselling them on ebay or Amoeba, I decided to check out Amazon.

Amazon will buy all 8 sets from me (in new condition) for a total of $43.85. So for a PROFIT of $13.86 (not counting tax) I was just able to get the Extra 3 disc set and the (very) crummy box. Amazon pays for shipping, all I have to do is box up the discs and send them in.

Even at Best Buy's price, it makes sense to buy this new set, and sell Amazon your collection discs if you want the new 3-disc included set.

My two cents...

Cheers!

CS

BobO'Link
09-01-12, 09:49 AM
...Even at Best Buy's price, it makes sense to buy this new set, and sell Amazon your collection discs if you want the new 3-disc included set....
You missed that this thread began May 31st and was for a month long sale at BB (eventually PM by Amazon) for June 2012. The current BB price is ~$70 which would make that bonus set cost +/- ~$30 (after taking tax into consideration).

ProfessorEcho
09-01-12, 11:29 AM
My brother price matched this in store at Best Buy without a problem. Lately the Best Buy stores here haven't been calling Fry's, but they still do it when you call CS to price match.

Lije Baley
09-01-12, 12:53 PM
After just receiving my box from Amazon, I guess I'm glad to be out of town for the weekend with no Fry's nearby. If I was home, I'd be trying to return Amazon's set and headed off to Fry's. $30 is a fantastic, and I think, unbeatable price.

Interesting idea to sell the eight sets to Amazon, rather than put them up on eBay.

moklerman
09-01-12, 02:27 PM
^Thanks! After reading the "fine print" on the ad I'd pretty much decided that was the case by around noon. I'd hoped they had something like a 6am start time with online stuff but it's still the ~$62 price online with a limit of 1 per household that makes you think the online price should be matching the ad. Oh well... All I really want/need is that "bonus" set and was going to give the dupes to the grandkids (they *love* the Stooges!).I called in a few different times yesterday and got a variety of answers. Throughout the day the website listing changed from one degree to another.

When I first started checking, the set was available to order at the regular price of $61.99 but the online weekly ad already had it listed for $29.99. Later, the site was updated and the set was still priced for $61.99 but it was limited to one order per household. Now, the set is priced $29.99 to match the ad, it is one per household and in-store purchase only.

Someone really doesn't know what they're doing on that site. It's fine that it's in-store only. I'm disappointed but it's their prerogative. But what's the point of having a clickable link from the online ad to a listing that you can't order from? Why say that it's limited to one per household if you can't even order it?

Seems screwy to me.

That'sAllFolks
09-01-12, 04:41 PM
BB considers the Stooges set as a TV set. 'nuff said.

rmw650
09-01-12, 05:45 PM
I called in a few different times yesterday and got a variety of answers. Throughout the day the website listing changed from one degree to another.

When I first started checking, the set was available to order at the regular price of $61.99 but the online weekly ad already had it listed for $29.99. Later, the site was updated and the set was still priced for $61.99 but it was limited to one order per household. Now, the set is priced $29.99 to match the ad, it is one per household and in-store purchase only.

Someone really doesn't know what they're doing on that site. It's fine that it's in-store only. I'm disappointed but it's their prerogative. But what's the point of having a clickable link from the online ad to a listing that you can't order from? Why say that it's limited to one per household if you can't even order it?

Seems screwy to me.

I just saw it on their website for 30 bucks but in-store only but when i went to check the availability for it near me, it was unavailable. Oh well.

Manzana
09-02-12, 09:43 AM
Frys.com has always been unpredictable. Their online prices don't always match their stores. On rare occasion they give free shipping on some items, and sometimes it only lasts part of a day. The best rule for Fry's sales is to trust their weekly ad and assume everything is in-store only, but go ahead and check online to see if it's available for free or cheap shipping. Most likely it won't be, but every once in a while it is. For those who are sad about not being near a Fry's, I'm not near a BJ's Wholesale, Nebraska Furniture Mart, or Gohastings, so I miss out on those (well I can order from Gohastings online). Maybe some people have every store available, but I think most of us are missing at least some.
My brother price matched this in store at Best Buy without a problem. Lately the Best Buy stores here haven't been calling Fry's, but they still do it when you call CS to price match.
My BB stores always check Fry's inventory, but at least half the time they use the Internet and believe the in-store inventory status saving a long and painful call to Fry's.

Lije Baley
09-08-12, 11:16 AM
Amazon has dropped its price to $45.49. Dagnabit! Warehouse Deals in "like new" condition for $38-$39.

Wonder if I can get a price adjustment for the set I bought a week ago?

Guru Askew
09-08-12, 05:26 PM
BB considers the Stooges set as a TV set. 'nuff said.

So does Sony.

That'sAllFolks
09-08-12, 07:17 PM
So does Sony.

TV was not around in the 30's. so it was a valid statement. But still, you missed the point.

Guru Askew
09-08-12, 07:54 PM
TV was not around in the 30's. so it was a valid statement. But still, you missed the point.

No.

Put one of your Stooges DVDs* into your player. Skip to the end of one of the shorts. Whose logo do you see?

These fall under Sony Television and you can thank them for these releases. If Sony has retroactively placed control of their short subjects in the hands of their television division your little jab at Best Buy becomes a lot less clever than you thought it was. So Best Buy files a product associated with TV airings produced by Sony Television in the television section. The bastards.

*(I tested this on the first and last Curly shorts on volumes 1 and 5, the first volume doesn't have the any logo post-short but at some point they started including it)

That'sAllFolks
09-08-12, 08:30 PM
No.

Put one of your Stooges DVDs* into your player. Skip to the end of one of the shorts. Whose logo do you see?

These fall under Sony Television and you can thank them for these releases. If Sony has retroactively placed control of their short subjects in the hands of their television division your little jab at Best Buy becomes a lot less clever than you thought it was. So Best Buy files a product associated with TV airings produced by Sony Television in the television section. The bastards.

*(I tested this on the first and last Curly shorts on volumes 1 and 5, the first volume doesn't have the any logo post-short but at some point they started including it)

There was no jab at BB. You still missed the point of the initial post. It was meant to point to some how to maximize their savings. Perhaps I should have been more specific so others would not assume they understood my post, but again I was not prepared for such hostility and self-righteousness.

Lije Baley
09-09-12, 05:25 PM
Amazon has dropped its price to $45.49. Dagnabit! Warehouse Deals in "like new" condition for $38-$39.

Wonder if I can get a price adjustment for the set I bought a week ago?

Yes!! :thumbsup:

hasslein
11-05-12, 02:11 PM
Best Buy has it for $39.99 now. Not as good as Fry's price, but still great deal.

rmw650
11-05-12, 06:07 PM
Best Buy has it for $39.99 now. Not as good as Fry's price, but still great deal.

For that price, grab it as you won't see it any cheaper than what fry's had it at but Best Buy has a hell of a deal on that going on now. I had to specifically price-match Fry's ad with Best buy to get it at 30 bucks but for the Stooges, they're worth it at ether 30 or 40 bucks for that complete set.

moklerman
11-06-12, 11:38 PM
Broke down and bought it at BB for $39.99. I missed out on the Fry's deal which I doubt anyone will ever beat. So, for $10 difference I might as well just pull the trigger. $30 off their regular price isn't too shabby for something not on Black Friday or whatever.

fbrug
01-30-13, 03:12 AM
Does anyone know, if this collection has English of Dutch subtitling.
I'am Dutch and really want to buy this collection, but is must be subtitled

Manzana
01-30-13, 08:01 AM
I was surprised to see this thread re-appear.
Does anyone know, if this collection has English of Dutch subtitling.
I'am Dutch and really want to buy this collection, but is must be subtitled
In 1 minute the magic of DVD-Basen and searching for "subtitle" in this review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54884/three-stooges-the-ultimate-collection-the/
yielded "There are no subtitle options, though the discs are closed-captioned."

kenbenobi
01-30-13, 01:27 PM
At least the Stooges is mainly about the actions and the sound effects. Sure, they say dumb stuff, but it's not like the plot matters.

wishbone
01-30-13, 01:42 PM
Slapstick is a pretty universal language.

Manzana
01-31-13, 08:36 AM
At least the Stooges is mainly about the actions and the sound effects. Sure, they say dumb stuff, but it's not like the plot matters.
Much of what they say are funny double-entendres or expressions of the time. To say it's just dumb stuff is wrong. I'll agree the plot doesn't matter, but the dialogue surely does matter, and non native English speakers will probably not understand a lot of the spoken humor.