DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Touch -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "Gyre" -- 5/31/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-04-12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Maria Bello (Prime Suspect) Makes Her TOUCH Debut

As the Aster Corporation increases their interest in Jake, Martin joins forces with Abigail (guest star Catherine Dent) as the stakes of Jake's custody escalate. When Avram (guest star Bohdi Elfman) reiterates to Martin that Jake and Amelia, a presumed dead girl with similar characteristics as Jake, are connected, Martin sets out on a passionate mission to uncover the truth. Meanwhile, circumstances intensify when Lucy (guest star Maria Bello) enters the picture and seemingly unrelated events are tied together in the all-new "Gyre, Parts 1 & 2" two-hour season finale of TOUCH airing Thursday, May 31 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (TOU-111/12) (TV-PG L, V)

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U9g0qxvcIUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jack Bauer with a gun....I mean Martin.

Remember this was renewed for a 2nd season. Moving to Fridays at 8pm to be Fringe's lead-in.
Old 05-31-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Touch -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "Gyre" -- 5/31/12

Mike: What are you going to do?
Martin/Jack: Whatever it takes.

That was kind of nice for 24 fans, along with all the "damn it" lines.

It was a good ending to a decent season. Much to build on based on where it left. As a viewer who watches all manner of "dark" shows, it's really nice to have this one. I like the happy endings here. Given the whole premise is fantastical, happy endings are "reasonable".
Old 06-01-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked that they brought back a lot of the guest stars from the season here in the finale and gave the "new york" portion of the show a proper send off.

It's nice they moved the show to L.A., since they didn't do a very good job of making the show look like it was New York.

From the looks of the finale, they're going to retool the show for the second season. Now with Martin in L.A., I've got the perfect alias for him...Jack B.

I wonder if Maria Bello is going to take over Gugu Mbatha-Raw's screen time, or if both will be on the show. I could almost see them going on something like an Incredible Hulk setup for the series, where Martin, Maria, and the kid are out searching for the truth while helping people along the way.
Old 06-02-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't make Jake angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry.
Old 06-02-12, 08:45 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I really love the overall concept of this show. I think the biggest thing that bothers me about it, and I hate to say it, is Kiefer. I just don't buy him as a softee. It almost makes him look like he's a bad actor because it just comes off in a silly way. It doesn't make it any easier when you have another actor from 24 on the show. I guess thats a little close minded on my part, but I've grown up with Kiefer scaring the shit out of me in things like Stand By Me and The Lost Boys, even Eye for an Eye. And then 24...he's the ultimate bad ass. Its almost like Whalberg in The Happening...not a bad actor..but playing this nerdy soft science teacher was a total miscast.

Anyway...a good first season. I hope Maria Bello sticks around. I find her so incredibly attractive.

Last edited by dex14; 06-02-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone fill me in on what "24" actors guest starred on Touch?
Old 06-02-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Can someone fill me in on what "24" actors guest starred on Touch?
Jude Ciccolella and Sprague Grayden are the only two that I know of. And Keifer didn't share any scenes with Sprague Grayden.
Old 06-03-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good finale. I'm enjoying the show. If this follows the path of Kring's last show, we can expect to have Kiefer locked in a box for half the season.
Old 06-05-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I wonder if Maria Bello is going to take over Gugu Mbatha-Raw's screen time, or if both will be on the show.
More Gugu please! She is one of the reasons I continue to watch.

I hope Martin kills Sheri Strepling that bitch at the care facility in season 2.

Surprised this show got a 8 at IMDB which is pretty high unless all of those reviewers are outside the US.

Still it is better as a mid-season show and not a full season. I wonder if it will beat Community in the ratings on Friday?

Will Season 1 get a Blu-ray release?

Old 06-05-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

BD release seems unlikely though I admit I'm a bit out of the loop on what Fox has been releasing on BD (and I haven't even been paying enough attention to know for sure that the media would be a Fox property).

I've always liked Maria Bello.
Old 06-05-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

BD release for Touch? 24 only got 2 BD releases of it's 8 seasons and that was a hell of alot more popular.

Look Burn Notice and White Collar (2 hit shows on USA with great ratings and produced by FOX) don't even get a BD release. They just came out today as DVD releases.

The one exception seems to be Bones. That seems to be the only FOX-produced show that has consistently gotten BD releases.
Old 06-05-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
BD release for Touch? 24 only got 2 BD releases of it's 8 seasons and that was a hell of alot more popular.

Look Burn Notice and White Collar (2 hit shows on USA with great ratings and produced by FOX) don't even get a BD release. They just came out today as DVD releases.

The one exception seems to be Bones. That seems to be the only FOX-produced show that has consistently gotten BD releases.
Probably a better chance for Touch than New Girl, which someone was complaining about in another thread
Old 06-06-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fringe has seasons 1-3 on Blu-ray and that is a FOX Friday SciFi show which Touch will be next season and Heroes Seasons 1-5 all were released on Blu-ray so maybe Tim Kring might have some power to get a Touch Blu-ray release.
Old 06-06-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fringe was released by Warner, and the demographic is entirely different from Touch
Old 06-06-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But the Heroes seasons on Blu-ray were released by Universal and they never do Blu-ray releases for their shows and if you live in the UK you can preorder it for a April 1, 2013 release and I doubt they would only do it in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touch-Season.../dp/B00790XDY4

Old 06-06-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not going to do research on which shows are released in the UK and the US but Universal does release some shows on Blu, including BSG, The Office, and House.

Heroes is also a completely different demographic, Kring or no.
Old 06-06-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Fringe has seasons 1-3 on Blu-ray and that is a FOX Friday SciFi show which Touch will be next season and Heroes Seasons 1-5 all were released on Blu-ray so maybe Tim Kring might have some power to get a Touch Blu-ray release.
Whether or not Touch gets a Blu-Ray release in the U.S. isn't up to Tim Kring. He doesn't own the show, he just created it. It's up to 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment and if they think it can be profitable for them. Every studio does their own thing.

As for the Touch UK Artwork, that is produced by 20th Century's UK division for the UK Market. Totally irrelevant for our market. There are plenty of TV on DVD or BD released legally for overseas markets that don't get released here.
Old 06-12-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the finale awhile ago. This show has turned out better than I expected, there are few things that bother me about the show. I hope Gugu stays on for season 2. I think Maria Bello will be a great addition next season.

Originally Posted by TheKing
I liked that they brought back a lot of the guest stars from the season here in the finale and gave the "new york" portion of the show a proper send off.

It's nice they moved the show to L.A., since they didn't do a very good job of making the show look like it was New York.

From the looks of the finale, they're going to retool the show for the second season. Now with Martin in L.A., I've got the perfect alias for him...Jack B.

I wonder if Maria Bello is going to take over Gugu Mbatha-Raw's screen time, or if both will be on the show. I could almost see them going on something like an Incredible Hulk setup for the series, where Martin, Maria, and the kid are out searching for the truth while helping people along the way.

I can see Kring and the writers doing an Incredible Hulk setup like you described and think that could work well. I hope Gugu stays on for season 2. I also like Maria Bello and I think she will be good next season even if she only has a recurring role.
Old 06-25-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I just finished the last 3 episodes including the 2-part finale.

Overall, the show isn't bad. It took awhile for me to really get into the concept of it, but I started to like it more with each passing episode.

IMO, it was a wise decision for the Producers to transition the storytelling to Los Angeles as opposed to faking New York every single week. As The King said in his post, they didn't do a very good job faking the New York scenics.

I like the addition of Maria Bello as well. According to Deadline.com, she has a contract option to return as a full time series regular next season. I liked how she accidentally met Martin and Jake at the end. I see some chemistry between them.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/mari...-series-touch/

After seeing Kiefer play Jack Bauer for so long, it was definitely an adjustment seeing him play a softee like Martin. But, I grew to appreciate the character and the love he has for his son.

I didn't quite understand the point of that montage of people singing along to that Reggae song from around the world. Were they real people?

Hopefully Tim Kring and his writers don't fuck up season 2. Kiefer is a smart actor and I'm sure he won't let them pass off shit scripts to him. I'm definitely interested in watching season 2 in the Fall.

BTW, no BD release. DVD only. Told you.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Touch-Season-1/17115
Old 01-23-13, 11:14 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

A shame...she was the one thing I was looking forward to about this upcoming season.

Maria Bello is out of Touch.

Literally.

The Prime Suspect actress — who joined Fox’s Kiefer Sutherland drama at the end of Season 1 and was upgraded to a series regular ahead of the about-to-premiere second season — has left the series, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Reps for Fox and 20th Century Television declined to comment, but multiple sources confirm that the exit was a mutual decision between Bello and Touch producers.

It’s unclear how or when Bello’s Lucy character will be written out of the show, which returns with a two-hour episode on Friday, Feb. 8.