Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Celebrate Independence Day again... in 3-D

islandclaws
05-31-12, 04:03 PM
From Coming Soon:

Independence Day is returning to theaters on July 3, 2013 with a full 3D post-conversion, 20th Century Fox revealed today.

The original film, released in 1996, starred Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum and Randy Quaid and was directed by Roland Emmerich with a screenplay by Emmerich and Dean Devlin. A loose re-telling of H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds," the sci-fi actioner grossed over $800 million worldwide.

Rumors of a sequel have persisted ever since the original film's release, but over the years, nothing solid has materialized. Still, with Men in Black 3 a box office hit 15 fifteen years after the original, ID4's 3D re-release could potentially also serve as way of gauging viewer interest in a second big screen invasion.

The July 3rd release date puts Independence Day 3D up against Universal Pictures' Despicable Me 2.

So, Hollywood's big budget crap keeps tanking... what better way to secure our dollars than to re-release films we've already seen, but now with a useless 3-D conversion!

pinata242
05-31-12, 04:19 PM
Go fuck yourself, Hollywood.

Rockmjd23
05-31-12, 04:43 PM
A loose re-telling of War of the Worlds?! First time I've ever heard that one. :lol:

inri222
05-31-12, 04:50 PM
What's next, Armageddon in 3-D.

Nick Martin
05-31-12, 04:50 PM
FUCKIN' A, Hollywood. FUCK YEAH.

Fixed to reflect my personal view.

So, Hollywood's big budget crap keeps tanking... what better way to secure our dollars than to re-release films we've already seen, but now with a useless 3-D conversion!

Just like Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Titanic, Finding Nemo (on the way, I think), Phantom Menace, and probably many more.

With the exception of Phantom Menace, all have been successful, and re-releasing movies is nothing new anyway.

To say nothing of the endless double / triple / quadruple dip DVDs and Blu-rays people still buy.

A loose re-telling of War of the Worlds?! First time I've ever heard that one. :lol:

Really, I've heard that comparison ever since it came out. ID4 remains one of my favorite movies.

To see it on a theater screen again...Fuck yeah indeed. :)

I suspect it'll be a damn good conversion because the imagery would lend itself to a good 3D presentation.

Shannon Nutt
05-31-12, 04:52 PM
"Now that's what I call a Close Encounter!" :)

Matthew Chmiel
05-31-12, 05:03 PM
WELCOME TO 'URF!

Now that Warner has lost Alan Horn, they should get their asses into gear and post-convert Twister in 4D. RealD + D-Box + misters + Dyson fans = a theatrical experience you wouldn't want to miss.

Defiant1
05-31-12, 06:20 PM
Kinda amazed that they never made a sequel to this movie. I remember the mega-hype over this one ever since its incredible (at the time) teaser trailer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qYJfxI6QjJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WeylandYutani
05-31-12, 06:38 PM
Will the aliens have upgraded from Windows 95 in this version?

TGM
05-31-12, 06:48 PM
I think it's a great idea.

inri222
05-31-12, 07:00 PM
Wonder if they will change the poster and give Will Smith top billing and make his name bigger than everyone else.

Supermallet
05-31-12, 08:11 PM
Stop it. Just stop it. Stop.

TheBang
05-31-12, 08:30 PM
What an insult to H.G. Wells.

sauce07
05-31-12, 08:32 PM
I remember going to the one night early showing on July 2nd and having a blast. Saw it again with the family in September and almost fell asleep.

I can see this doing really well, especially with that release date.

Troy Stiffler
05-31-12, 08:33 PM
What's next, Armageddon in 3-D.

Fuck yea! I'd watch it.

JumpCutz
05-31-12, 08:44 PM
This was bad enough in 2D. I'm going to mega-pass on this bucket of shit.

Nick Martin
05-31-12, 08:51 PM

Good for you.

antspawn
05-31-12, 08:53 PM
This is the type of movie you enjoy watching for the first time. Then the 2nd time it feels longer and you impatiently wait for Randy Quaid to deliver the outstanding finale.

3rd time is when you don't give a fuck. And if you own it on DVD you basically skip through the action scenes.

inri222
05-31-12, 09:08 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1V_0k7DZt-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bluetoast
05-31-12, 09:12 PM
I remember when I first saw posters that just said "ID4" I thought it was for a new sound system that was going to be implemented in theaters.

My Other Self
05-31-12, 09:29 PM
This is one of the worst ideas I've heard in awhile.

Of all the 90s movies I liked growing up, Independence Day has not held up for me at all. I can't even watch it. It's not even a fun popcorn movie for me anymore -- it's just bad. They're releasing this as a big summer 2013 deal, too.

How long has Hollywood been out of ideas now?

Mondo Kane
05-31-12, 09:29 PM
I'll see it again just for the strip club scene. Vivica's @$$ was the greatest effect of the movie.

antspawn
05-31-12, 09:36 PM
I'll see it again just for the strip club scene. Vivica's @$$ was the greatest effect of the movie.

I have to applaud you on that one. :clap:

Jon2
05-31-12, 09:48 PM

Nah... they've switched to Mac OS X. :lol:

Jon2
05-31-12, 09:49 PM
This is one of the worst ideas I've heard in awhile.

Of all the 90s movies I liked growing up, Independence Day has not held up for me at all. I can't even watch it. It's not even a fun popcorn movie for me anymore -- it's just bad. They're releasing this as a big summer 2013 deal, too.

How long has Hollywood been out of ideas now?

Since before you saw ID4 the first time.

Daytripper
05-31-12, 09:52 PM

Ugh, I agree. Can "Pearl (fucking) Harbor" be not too far behind? Or "Godzilla" (1998)?? Nevermind the 90's, what other movies from the 80's are they going to convert to 3D other than "Top Gun"? I shudder to think.

sauce07
05-31-12, 10:05 PM
Die Hard 3D

My Other Self
05-31-12, 10:14 PM
Ghostbusters is supposed to get a 3D re-release for its 30th anniversary in 2014.

It will never stop. I just think ID4 is a poor choice for a 3D conversion. By that justification any movie that has explosions in it is qualified.

Troy Stiffler
05-31-12, 10:19 PM
Die Hard 3D

Die Hard 3, in 3D. I WANT.

Troy Stiffler
05-31-12, 10:24 PM
Ugh, I agree. Can "Pearl (fucking) Harbor" be not too far behind? Or "Godzilla" (1998)?? Nevermind the 90's, what other movies from the 80's are they going to convert to 3D other than "Top Gun"? I shudder to think.

Pearl Harbor and Godzilla will not be rereleased in 3D. Both were considered disappointmens. Top Gun? Just a Top Gun 2D rerelease would probably sell tickets. Maybe Gladiator? Lord of the Rings?

Furthermore, just get some recent big movies rereleased nationwide. Anything that requires a big screen.

Abob Teff
05-31-12, 10:58 PM

No, but I heard they are making some changes to be "more culturally sensitive" ... Earth shoots first.

Daytripper
05-31-12, 11:02 PM
Pearl Harbor and Godzilla will not be rereleased in 3D. Both were considered disappointmens. Top Gun? Just a Top Gun 2D rerelease would probably sell tickets. Maybe Gladiator? Lord of the Rings?

I doubt very seriously that a "Top Gun" 2D release would make more than 15M during it's entire run. If that. That's just not a movie that screams for another big screen release. But they're hoping the 3D version will generate more interest and $$$. Maybe it will, who knows (?) But I hope it doesn't. Because I think it's a terrible idea, and a terrible movie. If I could hand select a few 80's (or even 70's movies) to be converted in 3D, they would be: "Jaws", "Raiders", "The Exorcist", "Superman", "Close Encounters", "Poltergeist", "Ghostbusters" and (this is a long shot but would be fun in 3D), "Brainstorm".

My Other Self
05-31-12, 11:07 PM
WB has to be gearing up LOTR for a 3D re-release at some point down the line.

TomOpus
06-01-12, 01:30 AM
If I could hand select a few 80's (or even 70's movies) to be converted in 3D, they would be: "Jaws", "Raiders", "The Exorcist", "Superman", "Close Encounters", "Poltergeist", "Ghostbusters" and (this is a long shot but would be fun in 3D), "Brainstorm".I remember reading many years ago they originally planned Superman to be released in 3D but during tests, they didn't like the shrinking effect when he would fly at the audience.

gp1086
06-01-12, 01:42 AM
I own the blu ray (currently unopened) and will stick with that. I'd actually be more likely to go back and watch it in theatres if it was in 2D.

gp1086
06-01-12, 01:45 AM
Trying to think - other than Phantom Menace, have any non Disney titles re-released in 3D recently?

Don't think Phantom Menace even did all that well this past time around.

Matthew Chmiel
06-01-12, 02:14 AM
Trying to think - other than Phantom Menace, have any non Disney titles re-released in 3D recently?
Titanic.

Its done $350 million worldwide.

Why So Blu?
06-01-12, 02:20 AM
Yeah, no.

Nick Martin
06-01-12, 02:38 AM
I just think ID4 is a poor choice for a 3D conversion. By that justification any movie that has explosions in it is qualified.

I think it's a fantastic choice, but not because of the explosions (with the one exception being the wall of fire that travels down the city streets) but instead it's a great choice because of all the overhead alien ships, as well as all the aerial dogfight sequences. If any film should get a 3D conversion, be it theatrically or just for home viewing, this film fits the bill.

Supermallet
06-01-12, 02:42 AM
I doubt very seriously that a "Top Gun" 2D release would make more than 15M during it's entire run. If that. That's just not a movie that screams for another big screen release. But they're hoping the 3D version will generate more interest and $$$. Maybe it will, who knows (?) But I hope it doesn't. Because I think it's a terrible idea, and a terrible movie. If I could hand select a few 80's (or even 70's movies) to be converted in 3D, they would be: "Jaws", "Raiders", "The Exorcist", "Superman", "Close Encounters", "Poltergeist", "Ghostbusters" and (this is a long shot but would be fun in 3D), "Brainstorm".

Out of that list, I'd go see Superman, and only if the conversion was absolutely stellar. Ghostbusters would actually be pretty cool too, now that I think about it.

mhg83
06-01-12, 02:52 AM
I would totally see Armageddon back on the big screen. One of my favorite summer movies.

Shannon Nutt
06-01-12, 07:03 AM
I'm not ashamed to admit I saw this film three times in the theater...it's a popcorn flick, but it's a good one. People that "hate" this movie take it FAR too seriously...it's supposed to be fun, not "realisitc."

kd5
06-01-12, 07:50 AM
Independence Day is one of my favorite movies, I don't understand all the hate for it. It was a fun ride of a blockbuster movie that kicked some serious ass and we still watch it from time to time. Having said that, I could give a rat's ass less about any 3-D conversion/re-release although I have no doubt it will do well at the box office. I still think Hollywood needs to get off all the anti-depressants they've fogged up their imaginations with and come up with some fresh ideas instead of rehashing all the older stuff whether it's reboots, remakes, or post-conversion 3-D...-rolleyes- -kd5-

RichC2
06-01-12, 02:11 PM
Visually the movie has aged poorly. On the other hand, it's still a goofy, fun little flick. Of the list mentioned a few posts before this, I'd definitely go see Ghostbusters in 3D, that movie has aged remarkably well. Poltergeist has aged horribly. I liked Superman but have no desire to watch it again, always found it kind of dull. The Exorcist is hilarious.

Shannon Nutt
06-01-12, 03:18 PM
It's been mentioned in other threads for other movies, but this 3D craze really isn't for North American audiences...it's for overseas, where 3D is much bigger/more popular than it is here.

Shannon Nutt
06-01-12, 03:20 PM
I doubt very seriously that a "Top Gun" 2D release would make more than 15M during it's entire run. If that. That's just not a movie that screams for another big screen release.

TOP GUN did have a limited 25th Anniversary release recently...I went to see it. :)

Nick Martin
06-01-12, 03:36 PM
It's been mentioned in other threads for other movies, but this 3D craze really isn't for North American audiences...it's for overseas, where 3D is much bigger/more popular than it is here.

But of course that doesn't stop well...almost everyone in this thread from bitching and moaning as if their forced to go and see these things.

Shannon Nutt
06-01-12, 04:15 PM
But of course that doesn't stop well...almost everyone in this thread from bitching and moaning as if their forced to go and see these things.

Yes, there are certain films that bring on the flame throwers...this one, Titanic, Forrest Gump, The Phantom Menace, and a few others...basically any film that made a ton of money but "didn't deserve to". :)

Supermallet
06-01-12, 10:24 PM
Independence Day is one of my favorite movies, I don't understand all the hate for it. It was a fun ride of a blockbuster movie that kicked some serious ass and we still watch it from time to time. Having said that, I could give a rat's ass less about any 3-D conversion/re-release although I have no doubt it will do well at the box office. I still think Hollywood needs to get off all the anti-depressants they've fogged up their imaginations with and come up with some fresh ideas instead of rehashing all the older stuff whether it's reboots, remakes, or post-conversion 3-D...-rolleyes- -kd5-

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think ID4 is awesome. But I see no need for a 3D re-release, and doubt I will see it.

bluetoast
06-01-12, 10:31 PM
I doubt very seriously that a "Top Gun" 2D release would make more than 15M during it's entire run. If that. That's just not a movie that screams for another big screen release.

There was a two night 25th anniversary release last year, not sure of the business (probably very low), but it had a good turnout. My first time seeing it as well.

Edit: beaten to it by Shannon Nutt!

asianxcore
06-01-12, 11:10 PM

:thumbsup:

Hokeyboy
06-02-12, 12:54 AM
Mood music for morons. Lovely.

islandclaws
11-23-12, 11:20 AM
From Dark Horizons:

20th Century Fox appears to have scrapped plans for a 3D re-release of Roland Emmerich’s 1996 sci-fi alien invasion epic "Independence Day."

Exhibitor Relations revealed through Twitter that Fox has decided not to release the post-converted film in theatres. The Will Smith-starrer was slated for release on July 3rd 2013.

How this affects the proposed sequels in development is uncertain at this time.

majorjoe23
11-23-12, 12:43 PM
How will I celebrate the 17th anniversary of its release now?

Troy Stiffler
11-23-12, 01:37 PM
I'm down for a prequel. Blow up New York again (in the 50's or something). It'll just make the context of ID:4 all the more hilariously stupid.

Why So Blu?
11-23-12, 02:13 PM
Ugh. Such a piece of crap film.

Hokeyboy
11-23-12, 02:14 PM
:sad: What am I gonna do with all this paella??

TheBang
11-23-12, 08:13 PM
Well it DOES say "in theaters". And it sounds like they completed the conversion already? If so, then I'd imagine it gets dumped on a home video release like I, Robot.

rexinnih
11-24-12, 10:48 AM
Hey give me a decent home video release with theatrical and extended versions and I'll be happy.