Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

A quck question regarding DVD covers.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

A quck question regarding DVD covers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A quick question regarding DVD covers.

OK, so recently, I ordered Star Trek III and IV from Amazon. The case for III is apparently from a Canadian release, as the writing on the spine and the back and front is bilingual in French and English. For a normal, well-adjusted human being, this wouldn't be anything worth thinking about, but it's driving me crazy, on account of the fact that I'm insane. It's annoying to have it sitting on the shelf among my other films and having a spine that doesn't match. In addition, at various times, I have bought DVDs in numerous special cases. These were fun for a while, but they do have the unfortunate effect of taking up more space than an average DVD. I don't necessarily want to get rid of them, but I would like to put the discs themselves in a normal DVD case. So my question is, is there any inexpensive way to create covers for them that I can put on? I would think it'd be a simple matter of printing it out, except for a few details. One, I'd like to use the official covers, and while the front or even the back are easy enough to find, I don't know if I could find pictures of a full case with the spine, to say nothing of the fact that the two-disc Trek sets are an odd size. My question is if can create these myself and make them look professional enough that I won't notice? The material seems to be slightly different than regular paper, and my skill level with scissors is so low I can't cut straight lines. I'm just curious if there's a way to go online, print out regular DVD sleeves, and put them into store-bought cases (or the actual case in Trek's case). I probably sound insane, but thanks to everybody for their time.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-31-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A quck question regarding DVD covers.

There are lots of sites that offer scans of covers and custom-made covers. Most of what I know about this is on these threads:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-co...tom-cover.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-co...s-box-set.html

If you find yourself mechanically-challenged, though, I have another suggestion for the Star Trek III 2xDVD artwork. I see that Amazon is selling used copies for as little as $1.88 + shipping. Contact the seller and ask specifically about the artwork. Is it English-only, and is it damaged in any way (faded, stained, torn, etc.), given that it's not a new or like-new item? You may want to include a question about the disks, too...to throw them off. A little time and $5 may be worth the peace of mind, and perhaps you could sell the disks and original cover at FYE? Hope that helps.