Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How accurate is this post regarding Edward Norton?

OutRun2
05-29-12, 09:57 PM
I have been reading several people comment on why Edward Norton's career has seemingly fizzled out. I know we'll see him in the upcoming Bourne Legacy, but he seriously seemed to have fell off the face of the earth compared to a few years ago when he was on his way to being a super star.

Norton is one of my favorite actors and I really enjoy most of his movies. But the following post was made from someone on another forum and I'm just wondering if it's true. Here's the quote:

I know people who worked with him. The guy is an insufferable
a$$hole on set and was a genuine pest to the rest of the crew.

Norton has a history of taking over projects to the point where he
would be re-editing whole scenes of a movie to simply make himself
look better.

Had he of worked on "The Avengers", he would of demanded
for Downey Jr's "Ironman" scenes get cut and for pretty much
every single frame shot of him as "Bruce Banner" get put
into the flick.

Hollywood won't say it, but the truth is: Nobody wants to work
with the "Dennis Rodman" of films.

Give it about 5-8+ years when Norton drops out of "Leading man"
status, and he'll wisen up, confess that he was terrible to a lot
of people: and get back to making good movies.

It's just a serious waste of talent seeing Norton's career like this...but
he's done it to himself.

Quite a shame if true :(

Josh-da-man
05-29-12, 11:24 PM
Did <s>Alan Smithee</s> Humpty Dumpty write that?

Defiant1
05-29-12, 11:56 PM
Norton has a long history of being "difficult". He's a regular Val Kilmer, and look where the former Batman is now.

Marvel's President Kevin Feige on why Norton wasn't in The Avengers:
We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.

AnonomusBob15
05-30-12, 12:11 AM
apparantly he had a ball working on Moonrise Kingdom. I read someowhere that the cast all stayed in a rented cabin in the woods, and even ate and spent free time with each other. Working with Wes was probably the best thing he could have done for his career, because too many people have had problems working with him for anyone not to believe Norton is the problem. Very talented for sure, but his career skyrocketed so fast, his ego had to be on cloud 9. Unfortuanately for moviegoers, we don't see him in many projects (decent).

Chadm
05-30-12, 12:23 AM
I hope Ryan Gosling doesn't follow the same path as Norton. They seem very similar in quite a few ways.

Abob Teff
05-30-12, 12:38 AM
Norton has a long history of being "difficult". He's a regular Val Kilmer, and look where the former Batman is now.

Quote:
We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.

Marvel's President Kevin Feige on why Norton wasn't in The Avengers:

I can't wait to see who it is! Oh, wait ...

Abob Teff
05-30-12, 12:46 AM
apparantly he had a ball working on Moonrise Kingdom. I read someowhere that the cast all stayed in a rented cabin in the woods, and even ate and spent free time with each other. Working with Wes was probably the best thing he could have done for his career, because too many people have had problems working with him for anyone not to believe Norton is the problem. Very talented for sure, but his career skyrocketed so fast, his ego had to be on cloud 9. Unfortuanately for moviegoers, we don't see him in many projects (decent).

Has he ever really been an "A-lister"? Don't get me wrong, he has been in some great films and I think he is a fantastic actor, but I don't recall anybody ever saying "I can't wait to see the new Ed Norton flick!" I can't recall any previews that open with "Ed Norton is ... "

My Other Self
05-30-12, 12:55 AM
I hope Ryan Gosling doesn't follow the same path as Norton. They seem very similar in quite a few ways.Where are their parallels?

Why So Blu?
05-30-12, 01:00 AM
I thought this was already widely known? He's a prick. He's a talented prick, but a prick nonetheless. He took over American History X from Tony Kaye. He's got script authority written into his contract meaning that he can change anything in the story that he doesn't like. He clashed with Letterier in the Incredible Hulk movie, too.

It's hubris, baby.

JumpCutz
05-30-12, 01:23 AM
Yeah it's a shame he seems to be difficult to work with, though he's been in some great movies and delivered more than a few stellar performances.

He certainly has phoned in several performances (The Italian Job, Red Dragon, Pride and Glory, The Incredible Hulk) but was also brilliant in and around the same period in The Painted Veil and The Illusionist.

Norton was the best thing about The Score and delivered the goods in Down in The Valley, Leaves of Grass and the underrated Stone.

Add to that....Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American History X, Fight Club and The 25th Hour and he cements his place at the top of the list of the best actors of his generation.

I'm thinking he's not finished just yet.

Drexl
05-30-12, 03:43 AM
I hope Ryan Gosling doesn't follow the same path as Norton. They seem very similar in quite a few ways.

It's encouraging that he's working again with Nicholas Winding Refn and Derek Cianfrance. If he was a jerk, they wouldn't come back for more.

riotinmyskull
05-30-12, 04:41 AM
Yeah it's a shame he seems to be difficult to work with, though he's been in some great movies and delivered more than a few stellar performances.

He certainly has phoned in several performances (The Italian Job, Red Dragon, Pride and Glory, The Incredible Hulk) but was also brilliant in and around the same period in The Painted Veil and The Illusionist.

Norton was the best thing about The Score and delivered the goods in Down in The Valley, Leaves of Grass and the underrated Stone.

Add to that....Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American History X, Fight Club and The 25th Hour and he cements his place at the top of the list of the best actors of his generation.

I'm thinking he's not finished just yet.

don't forget DEATH TO SMOOCHY!

OutRun2
05-30-12, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I've read other people bring up the Gosling/Norton comparisons. But let's be honest, Norton runs circles around him. Gosling is a good actor but Norton is an exceptional one.

Charlie Goose
05-30-12, 09:28 AM
I thought this was already widely known? He's a prick. He's a talented prick, but a prick nonetheless. He took over American History X from Tony Kaye. He's got script authority written into his contract meaning that he can change anything in the story that he doesn't like. He clashed with Letterier in the Incredible Hulk movie, too.

It's hubris, baby.

I've heard the same thing for years. I can't post links or anything specific, but I vaguely remember reading on a few occasions how much of a dick he was. Not so much to the cast and crew, but on pushing HIS vision.

sauce07
05-30-12, 09:39 AM
Didn't he get into a big fight with Paramount around the time of The Italian Job? I think he had a contract with them for a few movies and after Italian he didn't want to fulfill it.

Buttmunker
05-30-12, 09:41 AM
I think he is a fantastic actor, but I don't recall anybody ever saying "I can't wait to see the new Ed Norton flick!"

You would have around the year 1999.

TheMovieman
05-30-12, 10:02 AM
He certainly has phoned in several performances (The Italian Job, Red Dragon, Pride and Glory, The Incredible Hulk)

Can't argue with Italian Job but I hardly thought he was phoning it in for TIH...

Didn't he get into a big fight with Paramount around the time of The Italian Job? I think he had a contract with them for a few movies and after Italian he didn't want to fulfill it.

Yeah, I seem to recall reading the same thing and you can see he couldn't give a rat's ass in that performance.

Why So Blu?
05-30-12, 10:23 AM

It was actually for The Italian Job. That was his last flick for them on contract.

Groucho
05-30-12, 10:26 AM
Maybe he'll wise up as he gets older. Dustin Hoffman did.

RichC2
05-30-12, 10:26 AM
He doesn't work well with Hollywood movies, but seems to thrive with the indie set/working with known directors. He seems to be one of those actors that while working with some directors thinks he knows better (Leterrier, Ratner), but that doesn't come out with other, name directors (Spike Lee, Wes Anderson, David Fincher)

I remember Salma Hayek (his ex) came out and basically called him a little bitch at one point.

Why So Blu?
05-30-12, 10:32 AM
He doesn't work well with Hollywood movies, but seems to thrive with the indie set/working with known directors. He seems to be one of those actors that while working with some directors thinks he knows better (Leterrier, Ratner), but that doesn't come out with other, name directors (Spike Lee, Wes Anderson, David Fincher)

I remember Salma Hayek (his ex) came out and basically called him a little bitch at one point.

This I never heard of, but do know he helped her with the re-writes on Frida and his small role in that film, too.

Goat3001
05-30-12, 10:37 AM
If he's such a control freak, why doesn't he direct himself? Or has he tried that and failed?

Groucho
05-30-12, 10:40 AM
He directed the Jenna Elfman vehicle Keeping the Faith back in 2000 and it was terrible.

Why So Blu?
05-30-12, 10:42 AM
He directed the Jenna Elfman vehicle Keeping the Faith back in 2000 and it was terrible.

That's what I heard. Never saw it, but did mention it in that thread that someone started about directors and their one movie and never directed anything again. Norton fits that bill.

RichC2
05-30-12, 10:55 AM
This I never heard of, but do know he helped her with the re-writes on Frida and his small role in that film, too.

It was more implied, right around their break up she went off on needing a real man with bigger balls than her.

Tarantino
05-30-12, 11:00 AM
he cements his place at the top of the list of the best actors of his generation.

You must be joking.

Solid Snake
05-30-12, 11:46 AM

It's hubris, baby.

Didn't he get into it w/ Marvel? I thought he and Letterier were fine. Just that Marvel didn't want his cut...even though that was what was agreed upon. And from the look of some of those scenes they cut...it would've been a better movie.

Also...I dig that Ruffalo's Banner KIND OF references the deleted alternate opening...I really liked that opening.

Yeah, I'm not seeing wtf you're saying. Seems like Gosling is selective of his work, isn't an asshole, appreciative of his standing in the industry and really enjoys the artistic process of film to welcome any and all creativity.

JumpCutz
05-30-12, 12:06 PM
You must be joking.

Not at all. I think he's absolutely one of the best actors of his generation.

Solid Snake
05-30-12, 12:28 PM

could you pinpoint his generation? Cuz...I'm willing to argue this. And I like Norton (25th Hour really needs a fucking BD)

Giles
05-30-12, 12:38 PM
^ age 42/43 ??

d2cheer
05-30-12, 12:44 PM
You would have around the year 1999.

For what? Fight Club? Pitt was the bigger draw there and that film was largely a BO disappointment...

he seriously seemed to have fell off the face of the earth compared to a few years ago when he was on his way to being a super star.

Agree that his output has been less but I would never say he was on his way to being a superstar.

Hokeyboy
05-30-12, 01:02 PM
Elliot Gould was once an A-level top star in Hollywood too. He even had Henry Gibson kissing his ass in "Nashville"! :mad:

Tarantino
05-30-12, 02:35 PM

I took your post as saying he was THE best, which would have been a joke.

Ash Ketchum
05-30-12, 02:46 PM
All I know is that Ralph Kramden found him easy to work with.

http://www.jackiegleason.com/photos/ralph.jpg

Meglos
05-30-12, 03:17 PM
People are always asking me if I know Edward Norton...

JumpCutz
05-30-12, 03:20 PM
could you pinpoint his generation? Cuz...I'm willing to argue this. And I like Norton (25th Hour really needs a fucking BD)

Norton was born in 1969. So I'm including most actors around his age. Even though a generation is usually considered around 25 to 30 years, in regards to acting I'd say actors born within a 10 year time span of Norton. So lets say actors born roughly between 1964-1974.

I'm not saying he is the absolute beat, but he is certainly high on the list IMHO.

foofighters7
05-30-12, 03:47 PM
When you are viewed as a good actor you sometimes think you should be treated better than other people. When you think people should treat you better than everyone else, people view you as an asshole. When people view you as an asshole you don't get the best roles with the best directors. When you don't get the best roles with the best directors people stop viewing you as a good actor. When you're no longer viewed as a good actor you end up in 'Stone'. Don't be an asshole who ends up in 'Stone'.

I do think hes a very good actor though.

inri222
05-30-12, 03:58 PM
could you pinpoint his generation? Cuz...I'm willing to argue this.

Norton is 42 so I would guess some of these guys count as his generation???

Brad Pitt - 47
Ethan Hawke - 41
Ralph Fiennes - 49
Mark Ruffalo - 44
Johnny Depp - 48
Javier Bardem - 43
Vincent Cassel - 45
Clive Owen - 47
Jamie Foxx - 44
Philip Seymour Hoffman - 44
Paul Giamatti - 44
Tony Leung Chiu Wai - 49
Matt Damon - 41
Hugh Jackman - 43
John Cusack - 46
Nicolas Cage - 48
Robert Downey Jr. - 47
Matthew McConaughey - 42
Russell Crowe - 48
Tom Cruise - 49
Mads Mikkelsen - 46
Benicio Del Toro - 45
Don Cheadle - 47
Kiefer Sutherland - 45
Ewan McGregor - 41

Ash Ketchum
05-30-12, 04:26 PM

Brad Pitt - 47
Ethan Hawke - 41
Ralph Fiennes - 49
Mark Ruffalo - 44
Johnny Depp - 48
Javier Bardem - 43
Vincent Cassel - 45
Clive Owen - 47
Jamie Foxx - 44
Paul Giamatti - 44
Tony Leung Chiu Wai - 49
Matt Damon - 41
Hugh Jackman - 43
John Cusack - 46
Nicolas Cage - 48
Robert Downey Jr. - 47
Matthew McConaughey - 42
Russell Crowe - 48
Tom Cruise - 49
Mads Mikkelsen - 46
Benicio Del Toro - 45
Don Cheadle - 47
Kiefer Sutherland - 45
Ewan McGregor - 41

Little Tony--hands-down the best actor of this bunch. :D

http://sites.google.com/site/htimage/tony_leung_1.jpg

Shannon Nutt
05-30-12, 04:28 PM
I'm not privy to any inside knowledge about Norton, but actors usually get the label of "being difficult" when they suggest changes and/or insist on trying things to try and make the movie better. Studios (and many directors) just want actors to show up, say their lines, and basically otherwise STFU. So that's whay you have actors like Kevin Costner, Bruce Willis, and recently Will Smith being labeled as "hard to work with". I have no idea if Norton falls into this category, but I've seen his performances and I'm guessing he does.

Numanoid
05-30-12, 06:05 PM
I'm not privy to any inside knowledge about Norton, but actors usually get the label of "being difficult" when they suggest changes and/or insist on trying things to try and make the movie better. Studios (and many directors) just want actors to show up, say their lines, and basically otherwise STFU. As well they should. Film is a director's medium. Actors are hired to fill roles that are written by someone else. They should act the fuck out of those lines, but unless they are attached to the pic in some other way besides actor, they should do what the director tells them. If they want to have more say in the film, they should produce it, direct it, or write it, on top of acting in it. It's like hiring a guy to paint your house white and he decides that paisley would be better. How long would you argue with him about it, and would you hire him again?

Perkinsun Dzees
05-30-12, 07:00 PM
Maybe it's the Brad Pitt side of his personality that's causing all his problems.

Solid Snake
05-30-12, 07:24 PM
Little Tony--hands-down the best actor of this bunch. :D

http://sites.google.com/site/htimage/tony_leung_1.jpg

I'd go w/ Mads and Bardem being equal w/ little Tony. Though...little Tony is my favorit out of that listing. Wong Kar Wai, yo!

Why So Blu?
05-30-12, 07:33 PM
As well they should. Film is a director's medium. Actors are hired to fill roles that are written by someone else. They should act the fuck out of those lines, but unless they are attached to the pic in some other way besides actor, they should do what the director tells them. If they want to have more say in the film, they should produce it, direct it, or write it, on top of acting in it. It's like hiring a guy to paint your house white and he decides that paisley would be better. How long would you argue with him about it, and would you hire him again?

Exactly right.

PopcornTreeCt
05-30-12, 07:47 PM
Eh, so what. People are pricks in all industries, as long as you don't work for one, you should be okay.

Defiant1
05-30-12, 09:09 PM
Maybe it's the Brad Pitt side of his personality that's causing all his problems.

Fight Club joke aside, Brad Pitt has a pretty good rep and is considered quite pleasant to work with, which is a big reason why he is so steadily employed. He does have a ton of clout on the set though, especially on those he produces, so the director has to be cognizant of that fact. Same goes with most of the true A-listers.

jfoobar
05-30-12, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I've read other people bring up the Gosling/Norton comparisons. But let's be honest, Norton runs circles around him. Gosling is a good actor but Norton is an exceptional one.

I have to say, I strongly disagree with this. No one "runs circles around" the Ryan Gosling that was in Blue Valentine or Half Nelson.

Troy Stiffler
05-30-12, 10:55 PM
I dunno. And I don't like it when people act like they know someone, just because they see them in movies/tv/interviews/whatever.

Chadm
05-30-12, 11:52 PM
My comparision of Norton and Gosling comes from the fact that they both achieved critic success as a lead actor at a young age. Both have reputation's of being very difficult to work with deriving from a intense commitment to their work. Gosling with the whole Lovely Bones firing fiasco. etc. Gosling seems like he's venturing down a similar path that Norton did 10 years ago. A lot of success at once at a young age, with a reputation of being difficult.

bluetoast
05-31-12, 12:44 AM
I gotta say I was pretty damn surprised to see his cameo in theaters today in The Dictator, as someone who got paid to have sex with Bobby Lee's character.

inri222
05-31-12, 12:51 AM
True story, happened 1 year after the release of American History X :

In 1999, I was at a bar in the Lower East Side in Manhattan. The crowd was mostly made up of punks & skinheads.
The door opens and in comes Edward Norton. He looks around to sees who the patrons are. He starts to look upset, does a complete about face and leaves.

Burnt Thru
05-31-12, 02:38 AM
As well they should. Film is a director's medium.
It was, back in the 70s. Those days of the auteur director are long past now, not that you'd know it from looking around here. These days the producer has as much if not more clout than the director. Meanwhile some actors are also very influential on the movies they take part in and often in a positive way. Movies are often enhanced I think from being more collaborative than dictatorial in the way they are organized.

FRwL
05-31-12, 02:52 AM
Really? I assume that there are loads of indy directors nowadays isn't there? Low budget ? Or is it all on youtube. Can anyone still be a Sergio Leone in this era? What about in Europe how's it there?

OutRun2
05-31-12, 04:42 AM

Brad Pitt - 47
Ethan Hawke - 41
Ralph Fiennes - 49
Mark Ruffalo - 44
Johnny Depp - 48
Javier Bardem - 43
Vincent Cassel - 45
Clive Owen - 47
Jamie Foxx - 44
Paul Giamatti - 44
Tony Leung Chiu Wai - 49
Matt Damon - 41
Hugh Jackman - 43
John Cusack - 46
Nicolas Cage - 48
Robert Downey Jr. - 47
Matthew McConaughey - 42
Russell Crowe - 48
Tom Cruise - 49
Mads Mikkelsen - 46
Benicio Del Toro - 45
Don Cheadle - 47
Kiefer Sutherland - 45
Ewan McGregor - 41

Just out curiosity, where would you rank Norton on that list, acting wise?

Tarantino
05-31-12, 04:51 AM
Not even top 15 on that list.

JesseCuster
05-31-12, 06:08 AM

Brad Pitt - 47
Ethan Hawke - 41
Ralph Fiennes - 49
Mark Ruffalo - 44
Johnny Depp - 48
Javier Bardem - 43
Vincent Cassel - 45
Clive Owen - 47
Jamie Foxx - 44
Paul Giamatti - 44
Tony Leung Chiu Wai - 49
Matt Damon - 41
Hugh Jackman - 43
John Cusack - 46
Nicolas Cage - 48
Robert Downey Jr. - 47
Matthew McConaughey - 42
Russell Crowe - 48
Tom Cruise - 49
Mads Mikkelsen - 46
Benicio Del Toro - 45
Don Cheadle - 47
Kiefer Sutherland - 45
Ewan McGregor - 41

That's a pretty damn great list. A few truly great actors and none less, IMO, than pretty damn good. And I wouldn't have Norton in the top dozen. Off that list I would have, in no particular order, a top 5 of Fiennes, Hoffman, Depp, Cassel and Mikkelson with Downey and Foxx just a rung below.

Dragon Tattoo
05-31-12, 08:47 AM
True story, happened 1 year after the release of American History X :

In 1999, I was at a bar in the Lower East Side in Manhattan. The crowd was mostly made up of punks & skinheads.
The door opens and in comes Edward Norton. He looks around to sees who the patrons are. He starts to look upset, does a complete about face and leaves.

Sounds like a pretty normal response.

Solid Snake
05-31-12, 12:02 PM
My comparision of Norton and Gosling comes from the fact that they both achieved critic success as a lead actor at a young age. Both have reputation's of being very difficult to work with deriving from a intense commitment to their work. Gosling with the whole Lovely Bones firing fiasco. etc. Gosling seems like he's venturing down a similar path that Norton did 10 years ago. A lot of success at once at a young age, with a reputation of being difficult.

Lovely Bones fiasco? First I've heard of it. Granted...I wasn't going crazy for the film either at that time and still haven't seen it.

JumpCutz
05-31-12, 12:08 PM
Not even top 15 on that list.

:lol:

Who are the 15 you would put ahead of him?

If you include Cruise, Cusack, McConaughey, Sutherland or Pitt your opinion doesn't count. -wink-

Mabuse
05-31-12, 12:13 PM
Brad Pitt - 47
Ethan Hawke - 41
Ralph Fiennes - 49
Mark Ruffalo - 44
Johnny Depp - 48
Javier Bardem - 43
Vincent Cassel - 45
Clive Owen - 47
Jamie Foxx - 44
Paul Giamatti - 44
Tony Leung Chiu Wai - 49
Matt Damon - 41
Hugh Jackman - 43
John Cusack - 46
Nicolas Cage - 48
Robert Downey Jr. - 47
Matthew McConaughey - 42
Russell Crowe - 48
Tom Cruise - 49
Mads Mikkelsen - 46
Benicio Del Toro - 45
Don Cheadle - 47
Kiefer Sutherland - 45
Ewan McGregor - 41
Of that list I'd probably only put Robert Downey Jr and Don Cheadle above Ed Norton. But I'd also say that many of these actors work more frequently. I'm starting to feel like "what have you done for me lately Ed?"

Solid Snake
05-31-12, 12:15 PM
That's a pretty damn great list. A few truly great actors and none less, IMO, than pretty damn good. And I wouldn't have Norton in the top dozen. Off that list I would have, in no particular order, a top 5 of Fiennes, Hoffman, Depp, Cassel and Mikkelson with Downey and Foxx just a rung below.

Depp in the same circle as Mads?! Preposterous.

inri222
05-31-12, 12:32 PM
Just out curiosity, where would you rank Norton on that list, acting wise?

It is difficult for me to rank that list in sequential order of preference so instead I broke it up into 3 tiers
and within the tiers there is no particular order.

IMO :

Upper
Ralph Fiennes
Tony Leung Chiu Wai
Javier Bardem
Mads Mikkelsen
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Vincent Cassel
Robert Downey Jr.
Benicio Del Toro
Edward Norton

Middle
Ethan Hawke
Paul Giamatti
Nicolas Cage
Russell Crowe
Tom Cruise
Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt
Don Cheadle

Lower
Mark Ruffalo
Kiefer Sutherland
Ewan McGregor
Clive Owen
Jamie Foxx
Matt Damon
Hugh Jackman
John Cusack
Matthew McConaughey

DaveyJoe
05-31-12, 01:28 PM
This is the first I've heard of Ryan Gosling being difficult on set.

Solid Snake
05-31-12, 01:37 PM
alright...just found this. Also wow to be in that diverse group of actors...I'd love sitting next to Duvall.

<object id="flashObj" width="560" height="315" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=692090845001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hollywoodreporter.com%2Fnews%2Fryan-gosling-peter-jackson-fired-55303&playerID=1257205077001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAC3bNtw~,c0hgCOyLwy4Lde_FJ6Ombu5W_uQUkX83&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=692090845001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hollywoodreporter.com%2Fnews%2Fryan-gosling-peter-jackson-fired-55303&playerID=1257205077001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAC3bNtw~,c0hgCOyLwy4Lde_FJ6Ombu5W_uQUkX83&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="560" height="315" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Tarantino
05-31-12, 02:04 PM
Fiennes, Cassell, Seymour-Hoffman, Giamatti, Bardem, Cheadle, Del Toro, Downey Jr., Mikkelson, Leung, Bale, and yes, McConaughey.

Chadm
05-31-12, 08:50 PM
Lovely Bones fiasco? First I've heard of it. Granted...I was going crazy for the film either at that time and still haven't seen it.

Yeah Gosling showed up to the set about 40 pounds overweight and said thats how he wanted to play the character. Jackson told him he didn't want that, asked him to the lose the weight, and eventually fired Gosling.

foofighters7
05-31-12, 09:47 PM
I would have told Jackson that he needed to gain his weight back if he wanted me to work with him. So far Fat Jackson is the only one who has made a good film.

Chadm
05-31-12, 10:27 PM
I haven't seen Brain Dead or Bad Taste. I've seen the rest of his work, and the only thing I like is the LOTR trilogy.

OutRun2
06-01-12, 05:51 AM

?

Explain.

DonnachaOne
06-01-12, 06:06 AM
?

Explain.
It's a Fight Club joke.

CloverClover
06-01-12, 01:21 PM
I would have told Jackson that he needed to gain his weight back if he wanted me to work with him. So far Fat Jackson is the only one who has made a good film.

hahaha, so true, I guess the weight loss collided with vanity and being surrounded with yes men. To be fair no one likes seeing fat people on screen, and at that point in his career Ryan Gosling should have known he was only hired for being a pretty boy.

Double_Oh_7
06-01-12, 01:32 PM
It's a Fight Club joke.

More like a Fight Club spoiler.

OutRun2
06-02-12, 03:54 AM
It's a Fight Club joke.

It's interesting because I've seen FC three times and for some oddball reason the joke still went over my head. I guess it's because I haven't seen the film in about 5 or so years. Norton's
performance in Fight Club is brilliant by the way.

Why So Blu?
06-02-12, 04:09 AM
BTW, Brad Pitt isn't always the greatest person to work with. You guys should check out Living In Oblivion. James LeGros "plays" Brad Pitt in that, which was a take on his BS during the making of Johnny Suede, when he was a nobody.

I also know there was plenty of dramarama during the making of Troy, where he was up Wolf Petersen's ass for this and that. In fact, if you guys still have that jumbo director's cut boxed set on DVD, there's some sketches and extensive notes to WP from Brad about Achilles' costume and how it should have been designed. The boy basically had the costume designer whip up his vision of what the costume should be like.

dex14
06-02-12, 10:37 AM
Yeah Gosling showed up to the set about 40 pounds overweight and said thats how he wanted to play the character. Jackson told him he didn't want that, asked him to the lose the weight, and eventually fired Gosling.

It was more about him trying to look like a father. They thought he looked too young. He wasn't being difficult. Plenty of people leave projects over creative differences, and they arent labelled as difficult. And apparently Whalberg was always Peter Jackson's first choice for the role. In the end, better for Gosling. The movie wasn't great and he probably would've seemed miscast anyway.

Gobear
06-02-12, 10:59 AM
It is difficult for me to rank that list in sequential order of preference so instead I broke it up into 3 tiers
and within the tiers there is no particular order.

IMO :

Upper
Ralph Fiennes
Tony Leung Chiu Wai
Javier Bardem
Mads Mikkelsen
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Vincent Cassel
Robert Downey Jr.
Benicio Del Toro
Edward Norton

Middle
Ethan Hawke
Paul Giamatti
Nicolas Cage
Russell Crowe
Tom Cruise
Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt
Don Cheadle

Lower
Mark Ruffalo
Kiefer Sutherland
Ewan McGregor
Clive Owen
Jamie Foxx
Matt Damon
Hugh Jackman
John Cusack
Matthew McConaughey

If we're going strictly by acting ability, I do not see Del Toro anywhere in the neighborhood of an upper range--he mumbles his way through every role. I have never bought him as a real character in anything, not even Che.

Ewan McGregor used to be amazing when he was working with Danny Boyle, and he can still bring it (I Love You Philip Morris was a mediocre film, but McGregor acted Carrey off the screen), but in general he seems to heading down the De Niro road of showing up, saying lines, and bagging a paycheck.

Clive Owen deserves a higher ranking as does Jamie Foxx. Foxx has amazing range as an actor; he just needs better roles.

jfoobar
06-02-12, 04:02 PM
Ewan McGregor used to be amazing when he was working with Danny Boyle, and he can still bring it ([i]I Love You Philip Morris[/b] was a mediocre film, but McGregor acted Carrey off the screen), but in general he seems to heading down the De Niro road of showing up, saying lines, and bagging a paycheck.

He was excellent in Beginners just last year. That was a very tough performance, being so understated and introspective, and he pulled it off beautifully.

We could probably also add Jude Law to the list of actors of that generation. He is certainly much closer to Norton's age than many of the people on inri222's list.

Drexl
06-02-12, 04:28 PM
He was excellent in Beginners just last year. That was a very tough performance, being so understated and introspective, and he pulled it off beautifully.

We could probably also add Jude Law to the list of actors of that generation. He is certainly much closer to Norton's age than many of the people on inri222's list.

Throw in Adrien Brody and Josh Brolin too.

sydonesia
06-02-12, 06:11 PM
BTW, Brad Pitt isn't always the greatest person to work with. You guys should check out Living In Oblivion. James LeGros "plays" Brad Pitt in that, which was a take on his BS during the making of Johnny Suede, when he was a nobody.

I also know there was plenty of dramarama during the making of Troy, where he was up Wolf Petersen's ass for this and that. In fact, if you guys still have that jumbo director's cut boxed set on DVD, there's some sketches and extensive notes to WP from Brad about Achilles' costume and how it should have been designed. The boy basically had the costume designer whip up his vision of what the costume should be like.

BTW, that's an urban legend. Tom Dicillo himself has admitted that James LeGros's character in Oblivion wasn't based on Pitt, and that Pitt himself was the original choice to play the role. Not to say that Pitt may not be difficult, but Dicillo has had nothing but good things to say about working with him.

Why So Blu?
06-02-12, 06:57 PM
BTW, that's an urban legend. Tom Dicillo himself has admitted that James LeGros's character in Oblivion wasn't based on Pitt, and that Pitt himself was the original choice to play the role. Not to say that Pitt may not be difficult, but Dicillo has had nothing but good things to say about working with him.

Nope, I have insider knowledge.

Solid Snake
06-02-12, 10:03 PM
Care to name drop?

Why So Blu?
06-02-12, 10:40 PM
Care to name drop?

Nope. Then I would no longer be an insider.

OutRun2
06-03-12, 03:13 AM
Nope. Then I would no longer be an insider.

Haha

Well, that's certainly understandable.

JeffTheAlpaca
03-13-14, 02:17 AM
Anyone see his interview with Dan Rather on the Big Interview on AXS TV?

Pretty good stuff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_s04dO510dE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Solid Snake
03-13-14, 11:01 AM
Damnit. I thought that was the interview.

OutRun2
03-13-14, 09:41 PM
Damnit. I thought that was the interview.

same :(

Except Norton runs circles around Gosling as far as acting talent goes.

Why So Blu?
03-13-14, 10:06 PM
No, Gosling has always been more grounded. Dude worked at a deli when he was already acting and getting semi-high profile gigs.

Norm de Plume
03-13-14, 10:11 PM
Man, Rather looks like he has had some work done. His face is so stretched it's reflecting light.

Dr. Mantle
03-13-14, 10:58 PM
Or maybe he's just getting old. Fight Club was fifteen years ago.

Now I feel old. :(

JumpCutz
03-13-14, 11:10 PM
Fiennes, Cassell, Seymour-Hoffman, Giamatti, Bardem, Cheadle, Del Toro, Downey Jr., Mikkelson, Leung, Bale, and yes, McConaughey.

I believe I owe you an apology in regards to McConaughey. He certainly has been on a roll as of late (the last two years).

Norm de Plume
03-14-14, 12:14 AM
Or maybe he's just getting old. Fight Club was fifteen years ago.

Now I feel old. :(
Dan Rather, not Norton. Norton is middle-aged. Rather is old.

JeffTheAlpaca
03-24-14, 06:43 PM
Ed Norton also did the narration for Americas Game the 2012 Baltimore Ravens on the NFL Network.