Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Favorite Ron Howard (directed) movie?

Tarantino
05-28-12, 11:33 PM
Yes, he's often melodramatic and manipulative...but he's got some good ones. What's your favorite?

PopcornTreeCt
05-28-12, 11:41 PM
Apollo 13. It's melodramatic but it actually works.

I think the cast especially Ed Harris bring a sense of urgency (ie seriousness) to the movie. It's also written incredibly well, like Aaron Sorkin's writing in The Social Network and Moneyball. It throws a lot of industry jargon but makes it easy for the audience to understand without insulting our intelligence.

Crocker Jarmen
05-28-12, 11:53 PM
I know it isn't cool on the forum, but I am a fan of Ron Howard as a director. I like that he gets out of the way and tells a story neatly and cleanly. Nightshift and Splash is a lot of fun, and I'm a fan of Parenthood, Backdraft, and The Paper. The Grinch is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and my most depressing experience in a theater. Since then he hasn't made a movie I've enjoyed (though I never saw the Angels and Demons hoo-hannery)

Supermallet
05-28-12, 11:57 PM
There's a lot of crap in them thar hills. But a few good ones have snuck in.

JumpCutz
05-29-12, 12:15 AM
Frost/Nixon by a light year.

He's made so much crap. I don't care for anything else he's ever done, but that is indeed his finest hour.

By a long shot.

Numanoid
05-29-12, 01:05 AM
Though I haven't seen it in ages, I have fond memories of watching Night Shift over and over again on HBO in the '80s. I enjoyed Splash, Cocoon and Apollo 13, but most of his movies end up being so much pablum.

Charlie Goose
05-29-12, 01:15 AM
I'll go with Cocoon.

I used to Parenthood, but it has not held up at all.

fumanstan
05-29-12, 01:29 AM
I'll vote for Apollo 13. I like Willow as well. I think his movies are generally pretty decent, just not particularly great.

JesseCuster
05-29-12, 03:42 AM
My favorite is Willow though Apollo 13 is probably his best. He's very good at staging historical works.

Chadm
05-29-12, 03:43 AM
Cinderella Man. But I don't really like Ron Howard as a director.

Why So Blu?
05-29-12, 04:25 AM
Frost/Nixon, baby. It's a masterpiece.

Hokeyboy
05-29-12, 05:40 AM
Night Shift. Better than everything by anyone.

Ash Ketchum
05-29-12, 05:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of Howard, but I did like CINDERELLA MAN a great deal because of its stark and honest depiction of poverty during the Great Depression. Few movies made since the Depression itself have captured this well.

I also like APOLLO 13 and A BEAUTIFUL MIND.

ken_572002
05-29-12, 06:09 AM
Apollo 13 and Splash. The others do not seem to age as well. I voted for Apollo 13.

Jaymole
05-29-12, 06:58 AM
Frost/Nixon

starman9000
05-29-12, 07:16 AM
Apollo 13, but I have a soft spot for Willow and really enjoyed Cinderella Man.

kd5
05-29-12, 07:37 AM
There are a few of those listed that I haven't seen, of those listed that I have seen, I liked Willow and The DaVinci Code. Willow was entertaining fantasy/escapism, The DaVinci Code was just a fun ride. Liked them both. -kd5-

SmackDaddy
05-29-12, 07:56 AM
Apollo 13 gets the nod for me. It's a movie where you know everyone makes it, but you still think they might not. That's some pretty good stuff there.

Willow is another one of my favorites, but I like most of Howard's work.

wishbone
05-29-12, 08:08 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/24fy3w9.jpg

Voting for Apollo 13 but I do enjoy Night Shift and Willow.

matome
05-29-12, 08:09 AM
Ransom

coli
05-29-12, 08:41 AM
Apollo 13 is by far is best movie as it should have won Best Movie and Howard should have won Best Director. Although Braveheart is a great movie, so that was a tough choice that year.

I like most of Howards movies as many will call them 'manipulative', I just say that they have 'heart' which so many movies lack these days. Even a simple comedy like Night Shift or EDTV really makes you care about the characters and I wonder why more movie today aren't like that?

After Apollo 13, my other favorite by Howard are: Cocoon, Splash, NightShift, EDTV, Cinderella Man, and Ransom.

Groucho
05-29-12, 09:01 AM
That's really a mixed bag, but I voted for Apollo 13.

Chrisedge
05-29-12, 09:15 AM
Night Shift is my favorite, but love A13 too.

MrSmearkase
05-29-12, 09:17 AM
Parenthood

Dr Mabuse
05-29-12, 10:57 AM
I have 'Night Shift' on DVD.

I picked 'Cinderella Man'. I liked that film.

His most amazing film is 'The Missing'. It's amazing anyone could be such a fumbling, inept idiot of a director to completely screw up that film with such a good antagonist, protagonist, story and themes. That effort is a high achievement in failure. Not just any fool can fail like that, that's up in the rarefied air of failure.

Ritchie Cunningham being involved is a bad sign for a movie.

Geofferson
05-29-12, 11:00 AM
Splash

Nick Martin
05-29-12, 12:54 PM
His most amazing film is 'The Missing'. It's amazing anyone could be such a fumbling, inept idiot of a director to completely screw up that film with such a good antagonist, protagonist, story and themes. That effort is a high achievement in failure. Not just any fool can fail like that, that's up in the rarefied air of failure.

My favorite element of that film is easily the score, which completely nailed the atmosphere the film tried to create. I play it all the time, but the film itself I haven't watched in years, because I bought the DVD used just because it had a scoring featurette in the extras. That featurette gets more views than the film.

I haven't seen all of Howard's films, but I have enjoyed Apollo 13, Cocoon, A Beautiful Mind, Night Shift, and parts of The Grinch. However it's probably Ransom that gets the most repeat viewings from me. Gary Sinise is pretty badass in the film. I'll be happy to get it in HD to replace that non-anamorphic DVD they released twice.

I've seen The Paper but I don't really remember much of it since it was only once about 12 years ago in a high school class.

The one thing most of Howard's films have given me personally are some of my favorite James Horner film scores like The Missing, A Beautiful Mind (great listen in 5.1 surround), Apollo 13, Cocoon, The Grinch, Ransom and even though I can't even stand to sit through the film itself, Willow.

jfoobar
05-29-12, 12:56 PM
Night Shift. Better than everything by anyone.

Loooooove Brokers!

Too many on the list I have not seen to vote, most notably Frost/Nixon and Cinderella Man, but gun to my head must watch one right now and it would probably be Splash.

Jules Winfield
05-29-12, 01:55 PM
I look at that list and shrug my shoulders. Willow I suppose. I liked Grand Theft Auto more than almost all those movies on this list. So, I pick other as well.

Solid Snake
05-29-12, 02:17 PM
Jesus...I don't really dig his movies I guess. They just don't leave an impression on me from what I'm seeing.

The only ones I like are: Frost/Nixon, Cinderella Man, and Apollo 13.

Frost/Nixon is my fav for sure. That's one film I'll totally give to Howard in making a damn fine film.

Tarantino
05-29-12, 02:51 PM
I picked Backdraft. I love that movie.

JohnnyMovie
05-29-12, 03:54 PM
there 4 that I like in... Willow, Backdraft, The Missing and Ransom but undecide and I'll goes with Willow!

also I saw good film of his movie :thumbsup:

Splash, Night Shift, Parenthood, Apollo 13, The Grinch, Far and Away, EdTV and Cocoon.

B5Erik
05-29-12, 06:19 PM
Apollo 13 is a great movie. It's flawless. Every performance is just right for the role, and all of the visuals are excellent as well. It's well edited, to boot.

So my vote goes to Apollo 13.

I also like Night Shift, Parenthood, Backdraft, The Missing, and The DaVinci Code, and I think that Cocoon, Splash, and Far and Away are OK.

RoboDad
05-29-12, 07:13 PM
Can't decide. I'm also one of the minority who enjoys most of his work.

Strevlac
05-29-12, 07:43 PM
For me, Apollo 13 stands above anything else he has ever done by a country mile.

Aside from that one, either Night Shift or Gung Ho.

bunkaroo
05-29-12, 10:10 PM
I love The Paper and cannot for the life of me figure out why it gets next to no recognition and not even a widescreen DVD in the 15 years since its release. One of the best ensemble casts of the 90's IMO.

Jack Straw
06-02-12, 07:39 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/24fy3w9.jpg

Voting for Apollo 13 but I do enjoy Night Shift and Willow. "Love-Broker!"

islandclaws
06-02-12, 07:47 PM
Parenthood was always a favorite of mine growing up.

Why So Blu?
06-02-12, 09:44 PM
there 4 that I like in... Willow, Backdraft, The Missing and Ransom but undecide and I'll goes with Willow!

also I saw good film of his movie :thumbsup:

Splash, Night Shift, Parenthood, Apollo 13, The Grinch, Far and Away, EdTV and Cocoon.

You're the only person I know of that likes The Missing.

WeylandYutani
06-03-12, 05:35 AM
It takes true talent to make material like Frost/Nixon and The Missing derivative and dull but Ron Howard is that talent. A terrible filmmaker but at least he's a nice guy and not a douche like Brett Ratner. The only one I haven't seen is Cinderella Man. My favourite would be The Paper. Very underrated and overlooked with a fantastic ensemble cast. Apollo 13 is accomplished and the acting sells it. Willow is nostalgic, goofy fun and Val Kilmer kicks ass.

MR Round
06-03-12, 04:06 PM
ive liked all of his movies he has done since Backdraft but my favorite would have to be A Beautiful Mind followed very closely be Cinderella Man. Ive always found Apollo 13 to be a bit boring in places though

riley_dude
06-03-12, 11:48 PM
Definitely Coocoon.

mike07
06-04-12, 01:11 AM
I love all his movies but the one I'm most fond of has to be Ransom, it was great seeing Mel Gibson and Rene Russo back together since Lethal Weapon 3...

Pizza
06-04-12, 02:44 AM
Splash. I saw this film several times when it was first released in theaters. This was the film that made me realize that Tom Hanks was a star. I thought Ron Howard was a terrific director based on this and Night Shift. It's been hit or miss since. Either really great or really bad.

Yeti4623
06-04-12, 03:12 AM
Parenthood.

DonnachaOne
06-04-12, 03:16 AM
Of the ones I've seen there, I think the only one I outright loathe is The Grinch, but there's a special room in hell for Frost/Nixon, which is startlingly dull, bland, uncinematic and anti-entertainment. It's as if the film itself is in pain, yearning that Howard make some sort of decision that might yield an improvement, only to accept its own inertia and impotence. It's the cinema equivalent of the feeling of watching someone listen to Nickelback, mouth agape, staring into the middle distance.