Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinions on 20" Sony Wega

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Opinions on 20" Sony Wega

Old 10-13-00, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
well i think it's time for me to replace my aging 19" Magnavox TV, the RF connection to my dvd player just isn't cutting it anymore. Space considerations prevent me from going with a 24" wega or a standard 27"(we have a very limited amount of space for a tv stand in our dorm room so i can't accomadate a larger stand/tv) but i'm leaning towards the 20" wega model number KV-20FV12. It has S-video and 2 av inputs and the anamorphic squeeze can be done with one adjustment in the service menu so it seems like a good option to me. Any thoughts on it? Also, would you reccomend buying locally even if it's a bit more versus buying from a place like crutchfield(where i have a $25 GC?) Could i try pricematching at a place like circuit city to another online vendor that has it even cheaper? Thanks for any help!

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 10-13-00, 09:33 PM

Too small buddy!
No, just kidding the 20 inch Wega would be a nice buy, considering your space restrictions.
Old 10-13-00, 11:53 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dfbennett:
Hi,
well i think it's time for me to replace my aging 19" Magnavox TV, the RF connection to my dvd player just isn't cutting it anymore. Space considerations prevent me from going with a 24" wega or a standard 27"(we have a very limited amount of space for a tv stand in our dorm room so i can't accomadate a larger stand/tv) but i'm leaning towards the 20" wega model number KV-20FV12. It has S-video and 2 av inputs and the anamorphic squeeze can be done with one adjustment in the service menu so it seems like a good option to me. Any thoughts on it? Also, would you reccomend buying locally even if it's a bit more versus buying from a place like crutchfield(where i have a $25 GC?) Could i try pricematching at a place like circuit city to another online vendor that has it even cheaper? Thanks for any help!

<HR>

I'm not sure about the 20", but the 24" FV12 version WEGA had problems with the SVM (scanning velocity modulation?) which caused excessive motion blur. This problem was fixed in the FV16 model, so you might want to check if the 20" FV12 had this problem.
Old 10-14-00, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dominus,
the SVM problem you mention, what would be a good way to look for this problem? I'm gonna check the model out at circuit city tonight but my guess is they won't have a DVD feed on it so I'll probably have trouble telling if it's a problem with the TV or one with the source. thanks for your help.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 10-15-00, 11:15 AM

Are WEGA TV's good for playing video games on, or would a standard sony trinitron be as fine?

My 19inch magnavox turns off by itself (I think the power cable is going), so I'm also looking for a new TV.
Old 10-15-00, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

guybrush, I think Trinitrons are extremely similiar to Wegas and I believe both are excellent for playing video games on. My big reason for getting the Wega 20" is because it has S-video and can do the anamorphic squeeze. If i wasn't into DVD I'd prolly get a lower end 20" set. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can clarify.

------------------
Old 10-15-00, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BigBadWes,
20" is big enough for now, but if you'd like to buy me something bigger, I'd welcome it Seriously though, once I'm out of school I plan on buying something bigger.

------------------
Old 10-16-00, 01:24 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dfbennett:
Dominus,
the SVM problem you mention, what would be a good way to look for this problem? I'm gonna check the model out at circuit city tonight but my guess is they won't have a DVD feed on it so I'll probably have trouble telling if it's a problem with the TV or one with the source. thanks for your help.

<HR>

Well, if you can, I would try to go to a "real" audio/video shop where they should be willing to hook up any source you want to demo the TV. Try popping in something with a lot of motion in the scene. Car chase scene maybe? Even if you can get a better price at Circuit City, you probably want to demo it somewhere else anyways.
Old 10-16-00, 01:27 PM

Ok, I've got an answer for you now, the FV10 was the model with the SVM problem, not the FV12, so you should be fine!
Old 10-16-00, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dominus, Thanks for all your help, I'm probably gonna pick it up this week sometime. Can't wait to see DVD through S-video on a regular basis

------------------
Old 10-16-00, 10:47 PM
Cool New Member

In my opinion, if you are willing to drop the cash on a WEGA, wait until you can gwt a true HDTV. The WEGA's aren't due to them being a standard screen. That's my opinion on the subject.
Old 10-16-00, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well anything HDTV ready is costing upwards of 800 dollars which is too much to spend for me and I really want to start enjoying my dvds with much improved picture quality so I don't think you're going to be able to dissuade me. Plus, i figure even when HDTV is here i should be able to do something with the TV.

------------------