DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : E.T. coming Fall 2012

bluetoast
05-27-12, 09:55 PM
And yes, the guns are back. Not sure if they got rid of the digital alterations, some commenter on aintitcool said he saw some CG facial movements.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DWU42c1ku-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BuckNaked2k
05-27-12, 10:16 PM
IMHO, this is the final major, Major, MAJOR title to get a Blu-ray release. The cupboard is bare!

Mike86
05-27-12, 10:20 PM
I'll probably get this. Not my favorite movie ever or anything but it's classic Spielberg and still is deserving of a purchase. I wonder if they'll include both cuts or just the theatrical. Not that I really care about the re-release version anyways just kind of curious.

Giles
05-27-12, 10:21 PM
and another 7.1 blu from Universal to boot!

trespoochies
05-27-12, 10:32 PM
Hope they don't fuck up and give us shitty packing like the DVD. A standard blu ray case will be just fine for this.

SterlingBen
05-27-12, 11:00 PM
Can finally upgrade my vhs copy.

bluetoast
05-27-12, 11:19 PM
Can finally upgrade my vhs copy.

Same here. My grandfather bought this for me, I think we were at Sears, in the early 90's, and I believe I got the portrait with E.T. in the bike.

yoshimi
05-27-12, 11:43 PM
Day 2 purchase for me. I am going to wait a day to see how Universal/Spielberg screw it up

Shannon Nutt
05-27-12, 11:51 PM
some commenter on aintitcool said he saw some CG facial movements.

All the footage in that clip is from the original 1982 version. Spielberg has gone on record saying it was a "mistake" to update the original...so while we might see some of those scenes in the bonus footage, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the original theatrical version here...I don't think Steven will want to make the same mistake twice.

As far as packaging, I'm hoping for a digibook option, but will be fine with a standard case.

a/v Junkie
05-28-12, 12:06 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/19nn61.jpg

TomOpus
05-28-12, 02:01 AM
Nice!

RocShemp
05-28-12, 02:51 AM
Simple and classy. Unlike the craptacular cover the DVD got.

bluetoast
05-28-12, 06:51 AM
My one hope is that they use the actual logo from when E.T. came out and not the 100th anniversary one. A minor thing, but I prefer it when they keep the studio logos from the time period of the movie.

SethDLH
05-28-12, 09:38 AM
My one hope is that they use the actual logo from when E.T. came out and not the 100th anniversary one. A minor thing, but I prefer it when they keep the studio logos from the time period of the movie.

I couldn't agree more.

dsa_shea
05-28-12, 01:48 PM
What kind of packaging is that? It better not be the Back to the Future type case we got with that original release.

RocShemp
05-28-12, 02:14 PM
What kind of packaging is that? It better not be the Back to the Future type case we got with that original release.

I think that's just a slipcover.

Artman
05-28-12, 05:02 PM
Looks good, one minor nitpick - I was expecting a 100th anniversary slipcover.

Fond memories of this one, I watched it so much the video store owner gave me one of his VHS copies.

Spiderbite
05-28-12, 05:08 PM
Looks good, one minor nitpick - I was expecting a 100th anniversary slipcover.

Why? E.T. hasn't been out for 100 years.

Mike86
05-28-12, 05:19 PM
A Blu-ray book would be nice for this release.

He means Universal's 100th Anniversary. They've been putting releases out with slipcovers that are commemorating the studio's anniversary.

RocShemp
05-28-12, 05:35 PM

:rimshot:

dsa_shea
05-29-12, 04:45 PM
I think the 100th Anniversary slip covers look like shit.

Michael Corvin
05-29-12, 05:13 PM
So, Jaws & ET both in the fall? :up: I'm down with that.

I've been wanting to show the kids ET, but I guess I'll wait for the BD now.

lamphorn
05-29-12, 06:49 PM
Fantastic. And I'm really happy that Spielberg has come to understand that messing up a classic movie with new CGI is a defacement. Day one purchase for me (Jaws, too).

Mr. Cinema
05-30-12, 10:31 AM
Arriving sometime in October. Per blu-ray.com:

Universal's Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack offers the 1982 theatrical edition of the film in its 1.85:1 original aspect ratio with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. Furthermore, the disc contains Universal's standard BD-Live, pocket BLU, Advanced Remote Control, Video Timeline, Mobile-To-Go, and Keyboard functionalities and the following bonus supplements:

All-new Steven Spielberg & E.T. interview
The E.T. Journals, shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll (Braveheart)
Behind-the-scenes featurettes:
- A Look Back
- The E.T. Reunion
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere
Two deleted scenes from the film's 2002 version
Designs, photographs, and marketing elements:
- E.T. designs by production illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. designs by carlo rambaldi
- Spaceship designs by Ralph McQuarrie
- Designs by production illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production photographs
- Marketing E.T. feature
Original theatrical trailer
Special Olympics TV spot

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
05-30-12, 10:51 AM
I might keep my DVD set for the redone version. You'd think with all the space on blu-ray that they could have offered us both.

trespoochies
05-30-12, 10:58 AM
Hell no, they can launch my DVD edition with the shitty packaging to space for all I care. I'm plum happy with the original verision only on blu.

Giles
05-30-12, 11:17 AM
no deleted footage? ... again?? guess Spielberg and folk really don't want us seeing those cut scenes

gp1086
05-30-12, 12:03 PM
This is a definite buy for me. Been holding out on the DVD in preparation of its release.

Matthew Chmiel
05-30-12, 02:08 PM
Good to see it carrying most of the bonus material from the three-disc ultimate gift set. :thumbsup:

The only materials it's missing are:

20th Anniversary version of the film.
Introduction by Steven Spielberg.
"2002 World Premiere" isolated score with John Williams in Dolby Digital 5.1
Space Exploration audio track.

While the live isolated score was a great bonus feature, I won't miss the redone version nor the Space Exploration track.

Shannon Nutt
05-30-12, 03:52 PM
I might keep my DVD set for the redone version. You'd think with all the space on blu-ray that they could have offered us both.

This is a glorious case where a director refuses to re-release his director's cut because he botched it up. All I can say is THANKS Steven! I'm assuming the two scenes from the 2002 version are the Halloween footage and the E.T. bathtub footage.

Fok
05-30-12, 06:47 PM
Guess I'll be keeping my DVD copy as well. Can't wait for this to be released on BD!

trespoochies
05-30-12, 06:55 PM
And the UK getting a steelbook of course

http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/45858_large.jpg

Schloob1
05-30-12, 07:01 PM
IMHO, this is the final major, Major, MAJOR title to get a Blu-ray release. The cupboard is bare!

A New Hope with Greedo shooting first is still in that cupboard ;) Otherwise, yes there is not really anything left that IMO that is on my MUST HAVE either that has not been announced.

Mike86
05-30-12, 07:02 PM
Eh..I'd prefer if case was blue rather than white. Plus I don't like steelbooks all that much anyways.

gp1086
05-30-12, 07:05 PM
I understand the main feature will be the 1982 theatrical cut (take notes George Lucas). There will be the two added scenes from 2002. Will the full 2002 cut be included too?

Mr. Cinema
05-30-12, 07:20 PM
I understand the main feature will be the 1982 theatrical cut (take notes George Lucas). There will be the two added scenes from 2002. Will the full 2002 cut be included too?
The specs mentioned only the 1982 THEATRICAL edition was being included.

Giles
05-30-12, 09:30 PM
The specs mentioned only the 1982 THEATRICAL edition was being included.

correct.

A plus in my book.

Superdaddy
05-30-12, 09:39 PM
Good to see it carrying most of the bonus material from the three-disc ultimate gift set. :thumbsup:

The only materials it's missing are:

20th Anniversary version of the film.
Introduction by Steven Spielberg.
"2002 World Premiere" isolated score with John Williams in Dolby Digital 5.1
Space Exploration audio track.

While the live isolated score was a great bonus feature, I won't miss the redone version nor the Space Exploration track.

Yup, the score track is nice. I'll hang onto my DVD set for that. Overall, I'm very pleased with the extras that are being offered.

TheBang
05-30-12, 10:52 PM
Nice. Is there anyone really upset that the 2002 version isn't being included? I couldn't care less.

05-31-12, 01:44 AM
I only care as a completest. There really isn't a reason they couldn't have included it.

Shannon Nutt
05-31-12, 03:29 PM
I only care as a completest. There really isn't a reason they couldn't have included it.

That version doesn't exist anymore, according to Steven. It's his way of trying to make a point with his buddy George.

lamphorn
05-31-12, 05:44 PM
Nice. Is there anyone really upset that the 2002 version isn't being included? I couldn't care less.

Not a bit. Hated the "improvements". Tossing mediocre CGI onto a live-action movie that never had it before is very jarring.

That version doesn't exist anymore, according to Steven. It's his way of trying to make a point with his buddy George.

Nice.

PatD
05-31-12, 06:05 PM
What about the *other* deleted scenes? Like the one with Harrison Ford as Elliot's principal.

Shannon Nutt
05-31-12, 06:06 PM
What about the *other* deleted scenes? Like the one with Harrison Ford as Elliot's principal.

I'm pretty sure we'll never see those, although I suppose it's possible there's some footage in the featurettes.

05-31-12, 07:20 PM

That's just more ammo for George to never release the Holiday Special

Shannon Nutt
06-01-12, 07:34 AM
That's just more ammo for George to never release the Holiday Special

That's one I agree on George with...it's awful. Not even fun in a "oh my god that's bad" kind of way. The best part of it - the Boba Fett cartoon - is on the new Star Wars Blu-ray anyway.

06-01-12, 01:20 PM
I also agree but I'd rather have something extra that exists, rather than nothing. It's a unique piece of history that can be pulled out to show how dumb things were at the time. I'm speaking of the Holiday Special and the edited ET.

Mr. Cinema
06-01-12, 03:58 PM
The leaked list of Universal titles has been very accurate so far. They have 10/23 as the release date. That's probably correct.

wahlers
06-01-12, 10:56 PM
Personally I'm a little sad to have to go back to the original E.T. chase in the woods. I liked the run cycle they gave him in the 2002 version. It was more dramatic.

The original always looked like a puppet on a skateboard being pulled through the grass. :/

Julie Walker
06-02-12, 12:55 AM
That's one I agree on George with...it's awful. Not even fun in a "oh my god that's bad" kind of way. The best part of it - the Boba Fett cartoon - is on the new Star Wars Blu-ray anyway.

I agree. The legend of the Star Wars Holiday Special is more interesting than the actual special itself, and keeping it unreleased only fuels the mystique about it. Then those who do stumble across a copy and view it, discover something so horrible(and boring), it defies description and was best left unseen.

It was at one point uploaded on Youtube complete with the original commercials that aired during it. And let me say the commercials were far more entertaining than the special itself which was grueling to get through! I couldn't believe how dull and awful it was, and truly was a torturous experience viewing the entire thing. I had hoped it would at least deliver some camp value entertainment and it didn't even come close to that. Now maybe it could be included as an extra feature on a Star Wars release, or even included on it's own for those who want it. But I'm not losing sleep over it's lack of release after suffering through viewing it. "The horror, the horror."

In regards to E.T., it's great Spielberg has seen the light and the original version is being released intact. There is nothing worse than a "SE" version of a film replacing the original and pretending it doesn't exist. Now technically all versions of a film should be released and made available for those who want them in my opinion. But if only one version is being released, then it should be the original version above all else. And for the past decade the 2002 E.T. did replace the original by being the sole version available for purchase and airing on t.v. That I really disagreed with and I'm glad that mistake is being corrected.
However it is an unfortunate part of the films history and may even have it's fans, so it should be available as well. But since my preferred version of the film is being released intact. I'm happy considering it looked like the original was vanishing from existence since the 2002 release. :)

Mr. Salty
06-02-12, 02:00 AM
And the UK getting a steelbook of course

http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/45858_large.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up! Just preordered it.

Michael Corvin
06-02-12, 06:23 AM
I agree. The legend of the Star Wars Holiday Special is more interesting than the actual special itself, and keeping it unreleased only fuels the mystique about it. Then those who do stumble across a copy and view it, discover something so horrible(and boring), it defies description and was best left unseen.

Yeah, there should be a happy median between the two but that would take more work. I liked the forest being "alive" and not a matte painting.

TheBang
06-02-12, 08:04 PM
And for the past decade the 2002 E.T. did replace the original by being the sole version available for purchase and airing on t.v.
Not sure about TV airings, but the original version has been available on all DVD copies.

Julie Walker
06-02-12, 09:48 PM
Not sure about TV airings, but the original version has been available on all DVD copies.

Really? I was under the impression that once the 2 dvd LE went out of print. The 1 disc release featured just the 2002 version using disc 1 from the LE set. That was my guess since it only listed the running time of the 2002 version and no mention on the package of containing the original theatrical version. And that's the main version I see in stores currently.

Guru Askew
06-02-12, 11:44 PM
The 2002 edition is terrible but it's a significant chapter in the history of the movie and it should be included. Even the biggest ET '02 hater would also agree that the alternate audio track of the live score makes it worth including.

Showing the inside of the mother ship in the Special Edition of Close Encounters is a greater sin than anything in ET '02 (and I know Columbia would only give Spielberg the money for new scenes if that was one of them) but I'm glad I have the option of watching it even if it's little more than a curiosity sandwiched between two valid presentations of the film.

Hopefully some retailer will get it as a bonus disc or something. If not I still have that fancy DVD box set that I was gonna keep anyway. Ultimately having it in SD only is far from a crisis. But having it in HD with lossless audio on the live score would be better.

The Monkees
06-03-12, 09:20 AM
Even though I don't give a shit about the 02 version, but I think I'll keep my DVD as well as buy the BD. Just so I have the reference to the horrid changes.

TheBang
06-04-12, 07:56 PM
Really? I was under the impression that once the 2 dvd LE went out of print. The 1 disc release featured just the 2002 version using disc 1 from the LE set. That was my guess since it only listed the running time of the 2002 version and no mention on the package of containing the original theatrical version. And that's the main version I see in stores currently.
Sorry, I guess I was talking about the original 2002 2-disc and 3-disc Gift Set releases. I didn't realize they had re-released it in a 1-disc set with only the 2002 version. But the 1982 version was available on both the 2-disc and 3-disc sets.

mdc3000
06-05-12, 06:54 PM
Keeping my giftset DVD but I can't wait to get my hands on ET in HD. Sounds like it will be a great release.

RocShemp
06-21-12, 08:45 AM
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Blu-ray Exclusive Spaceship Limited Edition (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8984)

http://images2.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/48497_large.jpg

http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/48497_back.jpg

Michael Corvin
06-21-12, 10:25 AM
Wow, that looks like a cheap piece of shit considering the price.

BuckNaked2k
06-21-12, 12:37 PM
^^ Oh no they di'int!

Mr. Cinema
07-26-12, 03:54 PM
Target.com has an exclusive steelbook.

http://www.target.com/p/e-t-steelbook-available-only-at-target/-/A-14212948?ref=tgt_adv_xasd0001&AFID=Performics_Blu-ray.com_0004c5c0ea397f9d0aec8d6b5b0d0526&LNM=Primary

a/v Junkie
07-26-12, 04:44 PM
Will there be a digibook treatment for the E.T. release??

The Valeyard
07-26-12, 05:03 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Q5AO64iDVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yoshimi
07-26-12, 05:26 PM
That space ship is pretty cool but not worth the price IMO. I would have prefered a walkie talkie special edition packaging.

Solid Snake
07-26-12, 05:51 PM
Yeah...that spaceship looks like shit.

Shannon Nutt
07-26-12, 06:02 PM
Another vote for the spaceship looking like a piece of junk...but I DO hope we get a digibook - maybe another BB exclusive? (Like Jaws)

Mike86
07-26-12, 06:14 PM
Yeah the space ship looks pretty meh to me. Wouldn't pay the extra price or have it take up the extra shelf space personally. I'm still holding out on a digibook too as it's easily the best gimmick packaging if you ask me. Not a really big fan of steelbooks personally.

Another vote for the spaceship looking like a piece of junk...but I DO hope we get a digibook - maybe another BB exclusive? (Like Jaws)
Fuck..I want that Jaws digibook that Best Buy has as an exclusive but I hope they lower the price from what it's currently at ($29.99)..

Spottedfeather
07-26-12, 08:54 PM
A steelbook or special case that would be really cool would be a Speak And Spell case. That toy was a pretty big part of the movie, after all. Or Maybe a box that looks like a package of Reese's Pieces...

BuckNaked2k
07-26-12, 11:44 PM
Fuck..I want that Jaws digibook that Best Buy has as an exclusive but I hope they lower the price from what it's currently at ($29.99)..I think you will see it at $15 if you can wait. Their exclusive digis of Citizen Kane and The Town were initially priced at $30, but hit $15 during subsequent sales.

Michael Corvin
07-29-12, 10:36 AM
Target.com has an exclusive steelbook.

http://www.target.com/p/e-t-steelbook-available-only-at-target/-/A-14212948?ref=tgt_adv_xasd0001&AFID=Performics_Blu-ray.com_0004c5c0ea397f9d0aec8d6b5b0d0526&LNM=Primary

I wonder if that will be in stores or remain a website exclusive. Any ideas?

Mr. Cinema
07-30-12, 08:53 AM
I wonder if that will be in stores or remain a website exclusive. Any ideas?
A Target employee found it in their system and it said "online only", which was the same situation with the Cowboys & Aliens steelbook.

Mr. Cinema
07-30-12, 08:54 AM
There are rumors floating around that Best Buy will have a digibook version of E.T.

Michael Corvin
07-30-12, 11:03 AM
A Target employee found it in their system and it said "online only", which was the same situation with the Cowboys & Aliens steelbook.

There are rumors floating around that Best Buy will have a digibook version of E.T.

Good to know on both accounts. Thanks.

Shannon Nutt
07-30-12, 03:13 PM
A steelbook or special case that would be really cool would be a Speak And Spell case. That toy was a pretty big part of the movie, after all. Or Maybe a box that looks like a package of Reese's Pieces...

How about a pizza box that plays "Papa Oom Mow Mow" when you open the lid? :)

Spottedfeather
07-30-12, 06:53 PM
How about a pizza box that plays "Papa Oom Mow Mow" when you open the lid? :)

Or a special box, sort of like the T2 blu-ray Endoskull, that's the milkcrate with E.T. sitting in it like in the movie....

TheKobra
07-30-12, 07:51 PM
I still have my limited edition Laser Disk (only 5000 made) of ET and still looks really good.

Mr. Cinema
08-02-12, 04:52 PM
The E.T. facebook page confirmed that the steelbook will be available at Target stores, in limited quantities.

GuessWho
08-02-12, 09:20 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/19nn61.jpg
Amazon's cover shows a DVD version included...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aitzIm0GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

iNCREDiPiNOY
08-04-12, 07:09 PM
Best Buy has their own exclusive. Could be a SteelBook or DigiBook.

Et The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition (Bby) - Blu-ray Disc

*Bby = Best Buy

http://s0.discshop.se/img/front_large/100355/e_t_the_extra_terrestrial_digibook_collectors_edition_blu_ray.jpg

Price: $29.99 (was $39.98)
Date: 10/9/12
Link: Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Et+The+Extra-Terrestrial+Anniversary+Edition+%28Bby%29+-+Blu-ray+Disc/6499319.p?id=2562947&skuId=6499319)

EDIT: Confirmed to be DigiBook followed by Jaws.

islandclaws
08-04-12, 07:13 PM
Well, it better be lower than $29.99 if they don't want me going to Target.

Mr. Cinema
08-04-12, 07:56 PM
If Jaws would have gotten a steelbook in the US, I'd probably take the E.T. steelbook. But I may just get both digibook versions of these films.

Shannon Nutt
08-06-12, 03:05 PM
I ponied up extra for the Jaws digibook...I supposed I'll be doing the same for the E.T. one. I got all the digibook versions of the other big remasters from Universal this year, so my collection is going to look goofy without the E.T. one as well.

Giles
08-06-12, 09:23 PM
Best Buy has their own exclusive. Could be a SteelBook or DigiBook.

Et The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition (Bby) - Blu-ray Disc

*Bby = Best Buy

http://s0.discshop.se/img/front_large/100355/e_t_the_extra_terrestrial_digibook_collectors_edition_blu_ray.jpg

Price: $29.99 (was $39.98)
Date: 10/9/12
Link: Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Et+The+Extra-Terrestrial+Anniversary+Edition+%28Bby%29+-+Blu-ray+Disc/6499319.p?id=2562947&skuId=6499319)

EDIT: Confirmed to be DigiBook followed by Jaws.

I like this artwork, very simplistic.

Michael Corvin
08-06-12, 10:01 PM
The 100th Anniversary banner actually works on that cover.

Daytripper
08-06-12, 10:38 PM
The 100th Anniversary banner actually works on that cover.

Agree. I think it's the matching colors.

Artman
08-06-12, 10:59 PM
Wow, the with original art (seems like Jaws is the same) - you don't see that often. I'm hoping the regular version is the same. (not a digi-book fan)

Grn_Str_Movies
08-15-12, 05:05 AM
now, i can't make up my mind.

i'm only buying one of the exclusives.
i wanted the Amazon set but for 100 dollars i just don't know.
if it drops down to 60-80, i'll get it. if not, i just don't know.

between the steelbook and the digibook, i'm torn up again.
i think i might get the digibook in the end.

Michael Corvin
08-15-12, 07:53 AM
Since I got the Jaws digi, I think I have to get the ET one now.

banthafett
08-15-12, 02:25 PM
This may be one of those movies like SW to me and Romero Dead TRILOGY. I might get every version that comes out for my collection. I love the move, the re-release came out our first year anni, and my kids cant get enough of the flick themselves. Every release of this movie (home, theater) has been a big event for me.

BuckNaked2k
08-15-12, 02:33 PM
I love DigiBooks.

I'll bet the BB Digi will be $24.99 like Jaws, with those $3 Universal coupons still floating around. Better get there early!

iNCREDiPiNOY
08-15-12, 08:10 PM
I love DigiBooks.

I'll bet the BB Digi will be $24.99 like Jaws, with those $3 Universal coupons still floating around. Better get there early!
$3 coupon expires 9/11. This come out in 2 months.

trespoochies
08-15-12, 08:31 PM

But the Universal 100 promo ends 12/31, so there should still be plenty opportunity to use those $3 coupons.

TheBang
08-15-12, 09:53 PM
The coupon expiration date depends on when you print it out (1 month after you print it out, I believe).

islandclaws
08-16-12, 01:30 PM
Digibook @ BB? Well, shit, they'll get my money in that case.

bluetoast
08-16-12, 02:18 PM
Digibook @ BB? Well, shit, they'll get my money in that case.

Don't you mean, "they'll get my money for that case"?

;)

islandclaws
08-16-12, 02:23 PM
Let me guess, you'll be here all week.

bluetoast
08-16-12, 02:59 PM
I'll get my coat.

Solid Snake
08-16-12, 03:16 PM
That's not your coat.

Spottedfeather
08-16-12, 04:19 PM
This may be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere else. Does the E.T. steelbook come with the movie inside it, or is it like Snow White and Beauty And The Beast, where the case is empty when you buy it ?

BuckNaked2k
08-16-12, 04:41 PM
^ This is a Target exclusive. I've only seen that "preorder" trick played by BB.

Spottedfeather
08-16-12, 09:26 PM
Does the steelbook have the movie or not ?

OldBoy
08-16-12, 10:42 PM
Does the steelbook have the movie or not ?

2k answered the question.

Spottedfeather
08-16-12, 10:47 PM
Did not. They just said something about a preorder exclusive.

BuckNaked2k
08-16-12, 10:57 PM
The Target exclusive contains the movie.

Spottedfeather
08-17-12, 05:01 PM
Finally......

kenbenobi
08-18-12, 02:47 AM
This may be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere else. Does the E.T. steelbook come with the movie inside it, or is it like Snow White and Beauty And The Beast, where the case is empty when you buy it ?
The picture shows it comes with BD + DVD + DC + Ultraviolet:
http://www.target.com/p/e-t-steelbook-available-only-at-target/-/A-14212948?reco=Rec|pdp|14212948|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1

Spottedfeather
08-19-12, 05:28 AM
I just preordered the steelbook. E.T. is one of those strange movies for me. On one hand, I really love the movie. Everything about it just screams early 80s to me. And I LOVE 80s movies. Especially fantasy movies like this. But on the other hand, E.T. is really sad at the end when he says goodbye to everyone. I love the movie, but I don't like to watch it that much because of the ending.

OldBoy
09-18-12, 06:46 AM
Blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/ET-The-Extra-Terrestrial-Blu-ray/7850/#Review)
Movie: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.5.gif
Video: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.5.gif
Audio: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.5.gif
Extras: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.gif
Overall: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/4.5.gif

OldBoy
09-18-12, 09:30 PM
The picture shows it comes with BD + DVD + DC + Ultraviolet:
http://www.target.com/p/e-t-steelbook-available-only-at-target/-/A-14212948?reco=Rec|pdp|14212948|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1

this will be sold in Target stores, right? says "not sold in stores" but that can't be...

Fok
09-19-12, 04:28 PM
Haven't had a chance to read through all the posts. Should I keep my 2 disk DVD set? Or has everything been ported over to the Blu Ray?

09-19-12, 05:04 PM
Not everything has been ported over.

Spottedfeather
09-19-12, 05:28 PM
The only thing from the Ultimate Collector's Set that I'm going to miss is the live score conducted by John Williams. It was only on the 2002 Walkie-Talkie cut.

Fok
09-20-12, 12:46 PM
Not everything has been ported over.

Guess I'll be keeping my DVD set then

wahlers
09-20-12, 08:21 PM
Spielberg drives me crazy with his no-backbone attitude.

First he does the 2002 version, which according to his intro fixes his pet peeves from the past 20 years (at that time) that made him cringe. Then people bitched about it, especially the walkie-talkie thing (which, if they had been in the original version, would have never even been a big deal) so he included both versions on the dvds. It was the right thing to do but it still felt more like he was more worried about negative feedback or impacted sales rather than any artistic integrity.

So then people continued to bitch so now he disowns it?

I personally thought that all of the enhanced E.T. stuff was a vast improvement and will miss it on the blu-ray. And while I thought the bathtub scene was too long, I will miss the extra halloween bit being in the film. Drew's hilariously bad acting is so charming.

I guess we're just supposed to accept that everything he said in the 2002 intro was a lie to sell more copies.

He could have at least let somebody have a limited Digibook with both versions. I'm thinking it's also possible that the CG enhancements weren't stored or kept in HD so they'd have to start from scratch and that's too expensive, but they just don't want to tell us that.

Regardless, Lucas may piss people off, but at least he has the balls to stand by what he says are improvements regardless of what other people say. Spielberg is just spineless.

I bet if Lucas hadn't have been involved we could have bullied Spielberg into making a good Indiana Jones 4.

ScissorPuppy
09-20-12, 08:47 PM
The 2002 version of E.T. was a theatrical release, film prints were made. The digital effects were probably done in at least 2k rez, so them not being in HD isn't the issue.

With that said, I don't see the problem with offering the previous special edition as a bonus. He did it with Close Encounters.

Doctorossi
09-20-12, 11:32 PM
I guess we're just supposed to accept that everything he said in the 2002 intro was a lie to sell more copies.

Yes, because people are not capable of ever changing their minds.

bluetoast
09-21-12, 03:08 AM
I can bet you they'll use quotes from this in the Digibook (same interview that was cited in the Jaws one), and he talks about his thoughts on alterations:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49921

wahlers
09-21-12, 12:12 PM
It's not that people can't change their minds, it just seems like he either overstated his excitement at the time to sell the product or he backed down now because of popular opinion.

Either way I don't feel like he a very consistant or trustworthy person.

Shannon Nutt
09-21-12, 02:39 PM
It's not that people can't change their minds, it just seems like he either overstated his excitement at the time to sell the product or he backed down now because of popular opinion.

I'll take Speilberg any day over Lucas. Speilberg tried something, got a lot of criticism about it and recanted. Lucas tries something, gets a lot of criticism and responds by doing more of it.

Oliver Clothesoff
09-21-12, 04:25 PM
Exactly. I see it more of Speilberg finally seeing the error of his ways and backtracking to make things right. He did the same with Raiders.

Spiderbite
09-21-12, 04:55 PM
Spielberg drives me crazy with his no-backbone attitude.

First he does the 2002 version, which according to his intro fixes his pet peeves from the past 20 years (at that time) that made him cringe. Then people bitched about it, especially the walkie-talkie thing (which, if they had been in the original version, would have never even been a big deal) so he included both versions on the dvds. It was the right thing to do but it still felt more like he was more worried about negative feedback or impacted sales rather than any artistic integrity.

So then people continued to bitch so now he disowns it?

I personally thought that all of the enhanced E.T. stuff was a vast improvement and will miss it on the blu-ray. And while I thought the bathtub scene was too long, I will miss the extra halloween bit being in the film. Drew's hilariously bad acting is so charming.

He could have at least let somebody have a limited Digibook with both versions. I'm thinking it's also possible that the CG enhancements weren't stored or kept in HD so they'd have to start from scratch and that's too expensive, but they just don't want to tell us that.

Regardless, Lucas may piss people off, but at least he has the balls to stand by what he says are improvements regardless of what other people say. Spielberg is just spineless.

I bet if Lucas hadn't have been involved we could have bullied Spielberg into making a good Indiana Jones 4.

Spielberg gives us the original version. Lucas doesn't. 'Nuff said.

Mike86
09-21-12, 06:15 PM

This doesn't really make sense to me at all. He made changes, the vast majority of people didn't like them, so he goes back and gives us the original film again. I see no problem with that. At least he's not an asshole about it like Lucas is with Star Wars who seems to just like aggravating his fanbase.

It maybe would've been nice if Spielberg had included the altered version of E.T. for people who really wanted it but I believe the DVD is still fairly easy to find so while it's not high definition at least it's available if someone really wants it.

OldBoy
09-21-12, 07:09 PM
Spielberg and Lucas both raped my childhood.

wahlers
09-21-12, 09:09 PM
It maybe would've been nice if Spielberg had included the altered version of E.T. for people who really wanted it but I believe the DVD is still fairly easy to find so while it's not high definition at least it's available if someone really wants it.

That's all I'm saying, just include a copy of the 2002 version in a limited release for people who like it.

The funny part is that after years of bitching, when Lucas gave people the dvds of the original versions of Star Wars, the fans immediately starting pestering him about when they would be on blu-ray. And people wonder why he hates his fans.

Oh, and for the record, I'm part of the original fan base for all of these films (born in 1974) and was a rabid fan of the films and toys of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and E.T. as a kid, watched them all hundreds and hundreds of times, and am now an artist and film buff, but easily prefer the modified versions of all of them. It happens.

Mike86
09-21-12, 09:51 PM
That's all I'm saying, just include a copy of the 2002 version in a limited release for people who like it.
I guess it wouldn't hurt but honestly I'd be willing to bet that most people buying this release don't care if the modified version is included or not. It seems that most people really didn't like the changes.
The funny part is that after years of bitching, when Lucas gave people the dvds of the original versions of Star Wars, the fans immediately starting pestering him about when they would be on blu-ray. And people wonder why he hates his fans.

Oh, and for the record, I'm part of the original fan base for all of these films (born in 1974) and was a rabid fan of the films and toys of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and E.T. as a kid, watched them all hundreds and hundreds of times, and am now an artist and film buff, but easily prefer the modified versions of all of them. It happens.
Also I don't mean to turn this into yet another Star Wars debate but, Lucas gave them to us sure but basically in the shittiest way he could. Put them out non-anamorphic for no logical reason and basically treated them as "special features". Lucas is the one with the problem I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. The fans have asked a very simple thing of him it's not like anyone is being outrageous with demands. I think most fans would be fine with his tinkerings if he made the original versions available along with them.

I really feel no sympathy for Lucas being hated on at this point when he does stupid stuff that seemingly serves no purpose other than that of making his fans upset. Case in point the adding of Vader yelling that ridiculous "Nooooo" at the end of Return of the Jedi, he knew fans thought that was stupid and was something that was criticized to death when it first happened in Revenge of the Sith then he goes and adds it in to a major scene in the final movie? That just feels like a big fuck you to his fans and adds nothing to the scene at all in my opinion at least.

Michael Corvin
09-21-12, 10:36 PM
I guess it wouldn't hurt but honestly I'd be willing to bet that most people buying this release don't care if the modified version is included or not. It seems that most people really didn't like the changes.

The subtle changes were fine, like animating the forest at the end. Or having ET have a run instead of looking like he's rolling R2-D2 style through the forest.

I think the only real gripe was the walkie talkies.

lamphorn
09-24-12, 08:53 AM

Ok, so don't lend him your car. Hahaha. I'm sure the people he does business with find him to be trustworthy enough.

That was a pathetic release. Try watching it on a widescreen TV and see what happens.. you get a small youtube-style window full of video schmutz. It was a crappy port of 15 year old laserdisc transfers, not a proper remastered DVD release.

You call them modified, I call them defaced. Luckily you can grab them on bluray, which is totally legitimate. As far as I'm concerned, however, the first Star Wars trilogy has not been released on bluray (or DVD, for that matter), and it would be a crime against film history if the original versions aren't preserved for posterity. I'm just hoping that someday restoration people are able to get their hands on the originals and save them before they completely rot away. It's a pity 20th Century Fox doesn't seem to have any say in this.

Shannon Nutt
09-24-12, 03:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned, however, the first Star Wars trilogy has not been released on bluray (or DVD, for that matter)

Actually, it HAS been released on DVD - as a crappy nonanamoprhic extras. :)

Randy Miller III
09-24-12, 08:55 PM
Review is up: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57295/et-the-extra-terrestrial-anniversary-edition/

Shannon Nutt
09-25-12, 03:11 PM
Review is up: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57295/et-the-extra-terrestrial-anniversary-edition/

Sounds great! Really looking forward to it now.

lamphorn
09-25-12, 08:27 PM
Actually, it HAS been released on DVD - as a crappy nonanamoprhic extras. :)

That's what I meant.. was being snarky.

LosingMyMind
09-25-12, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I won't be touching this one without the superior cut included.

Josh Z
09-28-12, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I won't be touching this one without the superior cut included.

You've got it backwards. The Blu-ray does have the original theatrical cut with the guns, not the stupid revision with the walkie-talkies.

BuckNaked2k
09-28-12, 09:44 PM
I wonder when Best Buy will put the DigiBook up on their site....I wonder if it will be "in-store only"....I wonder what it will retail for. :hscratch:

Robert
09-28-12, 09:46 PM
I wonder when Best Buy will put the DigiBook up on their site....I wonder if it will be "in-store only"....I wonder what it will retail for. :hscratch:

You mean this digibook (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Et+The+Extra-Terrestrial+Anniversary+Edition+%28Bby%29+-+Blu-ray+Disc/6499319.p?id=2562947&skuId=6499319&st=extra%20terrestrial&lp=1&cp=1)?

BuckNaked2k
09-28-12, 10:40 PM
Thaaaaaanks!

http://cdn.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ET-alien.jpg

OldBoy
09-28-12, 11:10 PM
Thaaaaaank Youuuuuu!

http://cdn.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ET-alien.jpg

fixed!

PGHFlyer
09-28-12, 11:13 PM
Yikes, no way am I paying $30 when I have the pre-order with Amazon for $17

Robert
09-28-12, 11:29 PM
E.T. in high-def with an extremely limited digibook is worth every penny of the $30.

BuckNaked2k
09-28-12, 11:51 PM
^ I agree. So happy I was able to get one of their Jaws digis.

Giles
09-28-12, 11:52 PM
E.T. in high-def with an extremely limited digibook is worth every penny of the $30.

which I can bump down to five bucks, with a gift card and three RZ coupons.

banthafett
09-29-12, 08:13 AM
Are they not releasing the spaceship anymore?

TomOpus
09-29-12, 08:42 AM
Are they not releasing the spaceship anymore? Did you check for it on amazon.de?

Giles
09-29-12, 01:43 PM
too bad the full documentary is not included on the bluray, guess I'll be holding onto my laserdisc edition.

Mike86
09-29-12, 02:48 PM
I wonder if Universal/Best Buy learned from the Jaws release earlier in the year and produced more of the E.T. digibook so that they don't run out as fast. Either way I pre-ordered mine a while back already so shouldn't be a problem for me but I know Jaws was a pain to get. I ended up ordering it from Amazon.ca..

Superdaddy
09-30-12, 11:20 AM
I wonder if Universal/Best Buy learned from the Jaws release earlier in the year and produced more of the E.T. digibook so that they don't run out as fast. Either way I pre-ordered mine a while back already so shouldn't be a problem for me but I know Jaws was a pain to get. I ended up ordering it from Amazon.ca..

I've wondered the same thing. I was on vacation when Jaws came out and had to hunt up the digibook when I got back, but I did get it eventually.

The Upgrade and Save is supposed to start next week, but I'm not sure I want to risk waiting to find the book in store, so I can save $5 on it, in case it turns out to be in short supply.

Question for anyone who may have ordered the Jaws digibook online: I know it was on sale for $24.99 during release week. Were you able to order it at that price for shipping to your home, or did they withdraw the shipping option once release week arrived, and switch to store pickup only? Just looking for ways to possibly save a few bucks on E.T. (I'm assuming, possibly incorrectly, that if I pre-order now they won't drop my price should it go on sale next week).

OldBoy
09-30-12, 11:43 AM
i'm torn between the digibook and the SteelBook™. digi is my new favorite but Steel will alwyas have a place in my heart...

decisions, decisions...

BuckNaked2k
09-30-12, 01:59 PM
i'm torn between the digibook and the SteelBook™. digi is my new favorite but Steel will alwyas have a place in my heart...

decisions, decisions...^ You could always order both and decide which to keep later on.

OldBoy
09-30-12, 02:58 PM
^ You could always order both and decide which to keep later on.

true, but i did that with the Target 3-disc Hunger Games and am regretting opening it now. doh!

Mr. Cinema
10-02-12, 09:31 AM
The E.T. steelbook at Target will be only $17.99.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52325&d=1349142928

Mr. Cinema
10-03-12, 10:02 AM
Tough choice here. You can get the steelbook at Target for $17.99, or get the digibook at Best Buy for $19.99 after using an upgrade and save trade-in.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r603/Mychael_Herrera/20121002_185511_zps69c89579.jpg

Superdaddy
10-03-12, 05:58 PM
Tough choice here. You can get the steelbook at Target for $17.99, or get the digibook at Best Buy for $19.99 after using an upgrade and save trade-in.

Really would like that digibook for $19.99 with trade. I could get there on my lunch break next Tuesday. Of course, if it's a rerun of the Jaws situation, the few copies could be gone with the wind by then...

10-03-12, 07:08 PM
I'm the guy that's getting it for $20 at wal-mart with the plush.

lamphorn
10-03-12, 07:58 PM
Really would like that digibook for $19.99 with trade. I could get there on my lunch break next Tuesday. Of course, if it's a rerun of the Jaws situation, the few copies could be gone with the wind by then...

I STILL can't find a copy of Jaws, and I go to Best Buy and Frys every week.

Giles
10-03-12, 11:31 PM
did anyone see today's Fathom Event screenings of E.T.? was curious to know what it looked like on the big screen again?

Superdaddy
10-04-12, 06:49 PM

Annoying, isn't it? I know not everybody likes digibooks, but these are Spielberg blockbusters. One would guess they'd figure for greater demand.

It practically seemed they were down to the last handful in my area when I got it.

Superdaddy
10-06-12, 11:20 AM
My copy of the E.T. digibook shipped yesterday from BB.com.

Will check in store on Tuesday for it; if I find it I'll probably do an upgrade and save and then return the other copy.

beetyke
10-06-12, 07:45 PM

I have seen it at the occasional Future Shop here in Canada. I will gladly pick it up for you. I believe it is $30cdn. It IS bilingual, but only the removable insert on the back has French. Everything else (right down to the UPC beneath the removable insert) is IDENTICAL to the US release.

Natedogg
10-07-12, 09:08 AM
I wonder how much I could get for the spaceship copy on ebay. I didnt cancel it, and I still have my order from target.

BuckNaked2k
10-08-12, 10:22 AM
Since I pre-ordered at $30, the price has been reduced to $25. Will my order be adjusted when I pick-up tomorrow?

Doctorossi
10-08-12, 10:24 AM
Since I pre-ordered at $30, the price has been reduced to $25. Will my order be adjusted when I pick-up tomorrow?

That's exactly what I'd like to know.

whotony
10-08-12, 02:40 PM
My Target steely was cancelled by Target but the item is still up to order. Don't know why it was cancelled.

JeffTheAlpaca
10-08-12, 04:07 PM
Is the ET Target Steelbook sold out?

I checked target.com and it is has the photos but you can't order it online unless the only way to buy it is to go to a Target store tomorrow on Oct 9?

whotony
10-08-12, 04:31 PM
Yeah I mentioned mine was cancelled by target .com, I didn't receive any notice.

I did have one in my cart and tried to finish the order but cart emptied after I entered my cc info.

Also had one in my wish list but pressing the add to cart button instead just disappeared the disc.

LorenzoL
10-08-12, 05:30 PM
Here in Canada, Future Shop is selling the Blu-ray Steelbook combo for $14.99 on release day. As much as I like the Digibook, this is a no brainer for me.

LPMA
10-08-12, 06:28 PM
Here in Canada, Future Shop is selling the Blu-ray Steelbook combo for $14.99 on release day. As much as I like the Digibook, this is a no brainer for me.

I initially wasn't considering getting this, but at this price for the steelbook I might just have to bite.

trespoochies
10-09-12, 10:30 AM
Just picked up the steelbook for $14.99 using the Universal 100 coupon. A whopping total of 4 copies at the store I went to. These will dissappear quick today.

mh4268
10-09-12, 11:05 AM
Just picked up the steelbook for $14.99 using the Universal 100 coupon. A whopping total of 4 copies at the store I went to. These will dissappear quick today.
I went at 9:30 and none were left in stock (I thought they opened at 9 not 8), I ended up getting the digibook 5 minutes down the road, there were plenty.

TomOpus
10-09-12, 11:32 AM
Picked up the digibook at BB. There were 7 on the shelf when I got there. Looked around and saw a few copies of the Jaws digibook too.

Giles
10-09-12, 11:34 AM
Prometheus was on the shelf, but all the E.T discs/digi's were still on the cart at Best Buy, snagged my copy!

BGPu
10-09-12, 11:46 AM
Stopped at the Broadview IL SuperTarget this morning and they had probably 10 copies of the steelbook between the movie section and a display up front by the registers. Universal 100 coupon worked for me as well, so the movie wound up costing me $16.

bluetoast
10-09-12, 12:24 PM
The first target I went to, they didn't even receive any copies of the movie. Second one I went to had a row of steelbooks, so I picked one up and used the coupon. Now to check it out!

Mr. Cinema
10-09-12, 12:26 PM
Here's a blu-ray.com member photo of the steelbook:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52741&d=1349792161

BuckNaked2k
10-09-12, 01:06 PM
Picked up my Digibook at BB. There were only 5 copies on the shelf when I left. This one looks like it will be scarce too.

Had my Target Steelbook canceled as well. C*ck s*ckers.

slop101
10-09-12, 01:57 PM
Picked up my Digibook at BB. There were only 5 copies on the shelf when I left. This one looks like it will be scarce too.Not nearly as scarce as the Jaws one - my local BB had more 2x the amount of E.T. digibooks at opening than they did for Jaws.

islandclaws
10-09-12, 02:14 PM
I went to BB first, grabbed a Digibook... then went to the register and saw the guy in front of me buying 5 of them. Asshole.

I stopped by my local Target and they had a grip of Steelbooks. I almost grabbed one, but then I realized I really had no good reason to.

BuckNaked2k
10-09-12, 02:14 PM
Not nearly as scarce as the Jaws one - my local BB had more 2x the amount of E.T. digibooks at opening than they did for Jaws.Mine also..... 2 vs. 5! :lol:

slop101
10-09-12, 03:18 PM
Mine was more like 10 vs 20.

Spiderbite
10-09-12, 03:32 PM
I'm trying to make a decision on E.T. I have the original dvd Ultimate Gift Boxset and was just going to keep it for the nice book, the soundtrack and the curiosity of the fiddled-with version (which I still have yet to watch).

Does anyone know if the digibook version is just a rehash of the larger book that was included with this set? I was probably just going to buy a BD copy and throw it this large set so packaging is not really that important as price is I guess but I also like the look of Steelbooks (but don't really care if I find one or not). How cheap to you think this movie will go in the future?

Eddie W
10-09-12, 03:39 PM
Why does Universal do digibooks that look exactly like a Blu ray case? Part of their appeal is the classier packaging, but they have to have all the specs printed on back (instead of a peel off sheet) and that stupied 100th anniversay banner on top.

The original WB ones were great because it's just cover art, a matte finish, and a simple photo on back. It looks like something different & not just a book with pictures of a blu ray case on front & back.

Maybe there's something good inside, but I took a pass after looking at this thing at lunch.

Michael Corvin
10-09-12, 04:03 PM
Well the mental midget at Best Buy couldn't figure out how to adjust my online pre-order pickup to reflect the ad price(online pre-order was $30). $24.99 AFTER a $5 RZCert. Since he couldn't figure that out I assumed he couldn't change it to add a U&S $5 or the $3 Universal coupon. Sigh.

Picked up a second copy to use the U&S and U100 coupons for $8 off. Guess I'll hang on to one to see if it's worth reselling before I take it back.

whotony
10-09-12, 04:16 PM
You could have just let the in store pickup sit and it will drop off in 8 days.

BuckNaked2k
10-09-12, 04:17 PM
Well the mental midget at Best Buy couldn't figure out how to adjust my online pre-order pickup to reflect the ad price (online pre-order was $30).Wait, shouldn't the system make the adjustment automatically? I couldn't make heads-or-tails of my receipt, so I checked my statement online. It was too soon to see the transaction, so I'm withholding judgement until it hits. I can't imagine this won't update automatically, people must encounter this all the time.

In any event, I wasn't going to bring this up at the CS desk. It would be like trying to explain the theory of relativity to them.

Double_Oh_7
10-09-12, 04:42 PM
Well the mental midget at Best Buy couldn't figure out how to adjust my online pre-order pickup to reflect the ad price(online pre-order was $30). $24.99 AFTER a $5 RZCert. Since he couldn't figure that out I assumed he couldn't change it to add a U&S $5 or the $3 Universal coupon. Sigh.

Picked up a second copy to use the U&S and U100 coupons for $8 off. Guess I'll hang on to one to see if it's worth reselling before I take it back.

The system automatically charges you the lower price when you pick it up. BUT you cannot use GCs or RZ certs or coupons when you get to the store, you have to use them when you place the order online.

Fok
10-09-12, 07:25 PM
Went to Futureshop at lunch time and picked up a steal book. There were only around eight left. Am I missing much from the Digibook?

Michael Corvin
10-09-12, 07:42 PM
The system automatically charges you the lower price when you pick it up. BUT you cannot use GCs or RZ certs or coupons when you get to the store, you have to use them when you place the order online.

I used it online. It did not automatically lower either. It was stuck at $24.99 ($30 - $RZ). They told me to call the 888 number to get it adjusted. Oh well.

Gizmo
10-09-12, 10:51 PM
Best Buy delivered my Digibook today. Looks fantastic!

story
10-09-12, 11:06 PM
I'm trying to make a decision on E.T. I have the original dvd Ultimate Gift Boxset and was just going to keep it for the nice book, the soundtrack and the curiosity of the fiddled-with version (which I still have yet to watch).

Does anyone know if the digibook version is just a rehash of the larger book that was included with this set? I was probably just going to buy a BD copy and throw it this large set so packaging is not really that important as price is I guess but I also like the look of Steelbooks (but don't really care if I find one or not). How cheap to you think this movie will go in the future?

I, too, have that Ultimate Gift Boxset and love it. After hearing about the nightmare people had tracking down the digibook for Jaws I just went ahead and picked up a regular copy at Amazon. I don't have time to stalk stores at opening to get steelbooks, digibooks, etc. Plus, I figure there's nothing in that digibook that isn't more than well-covered in the book that comes with the Ultimate Gift Boxset so I'm fine with it.

Artman
10-09-12, 11:22 PM
Best Buy delivered my Digibook today. Looks fantastic!

Yeah, I picked mine up, very nice. The original VHS cover art they used was a big factor for me...it's not quite as heavy as I was expecting, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to seek out the Jaws version as well. I don't mind digibooks for these big, landmark films.

Giles
10-09-12, 11:23 PM
was watching select scenes and damn - this hidef transfer is top notch!

gp1086
10-09-12, 11:51 PM
Got my blu-ray from Walmart today. My first time ordering from them and am impressed. Have never gotten an Amazon new release on the day of before.

davidlynchfan
10-10-12, 01:11 AM
I went with the Walmart plush-doll over the DigiBook and Steelbook editions.

JeffTheAlpaca
10-10-12, 03:00 AM
I checked earlier today at target.com and now they have the Steelbook for $17.99 for sale at the Target website.

I ordered two copies and got a UPS mail innovations shipping notice email so it looks like if you want the Target special editions you should be able to buy them now online.

The plush toy at Walmart looks kind of hokey so I might pass on that.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/51/92/15/0002519215391_500X500.jpg

LosingMyMind
10-10-12, 03:49 AM
I still can't believe that the version I saw in theaters isn't included :(

Spottedfeather
10-10-12, 06:07 AM
Hopefully, Target will start shipping these soon. First, I ordered the steelbook back in August. Just last week, the order said cancelled. So, I reordered it. Now, it says Not Yet Shipped. I know it was released yesterday, so fingers crossed they start shipping soon. The ship date says 12th to the 16th. They didn't have any at the store.

EdTheRipper
10-10-12, 06:20 AM
I went with the Walmart plush-doll over the DigiBook and Steelbook editions.

I actually did the same. My son loved it, so I'm pleased.

Michael Corvin
10-10-12, 08:27 AM
Those disappointed in the plush might want to check Toys R Us. (http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=e.t.&origkw=e.t.&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1) They have a few different E.T. figures that look really cool. Looks like they are buy 1, get 1 40% off right now.

Randy Miller III
10-10-12, 08:54 AM
Picked up the Digibook yesterday, since I already scored the Jaws one a few weeks ago.
I'm such a sucker.

Checkmate
10-10-12, 09:21 AM
Got my ET Spaceship Giftset from Amazon yesterday. Came in a huge box. It's pretty cool but I think I would have prefered a light up ET of the same size. The ship isn't as iconic as an ET figure would be, although it does have lights and sounds from the last scene which I guess is iconic.

Here's some pics:

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2392.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2393.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2394.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2395.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2396.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2398.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Checkmate34/Blu%20Ray/IMG_2399.jpg

BuckNaked2k
10-10-12, 09:34 AM
^ That's pretty sweet....I like it. :thumbsup:

Mr. Cinema
10-10-12, 09:54 AM
As with Jaws, the E.T. digibook has artwork vs the plain version of the regular combo pack and steelbook.

Double_Oh_7
10-10-12, 11:28 AM
Target.com says the steelbook is in stock at my store, but I was just there and didn't see a single one.

BuckNaked2k
10-10-12, 11:31 AM
Target.com says the steelbook is in stock at my store, but I was just there and didn't see a single one.Someone posted earlier that they are available online again.

gp1086
10-10-12, 11:42 AM
I still can't believe that the version I saw in theaters isn't included :(
Huh? I thought the blu-ray was the theatrical version...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57295/et-the-extra-terrestrial-anniversary-edition/

Giles
10-10-12, 11:46 AM
^ it is, losingmymind is losing his mind ...

(I'll be here all week, folks.)

Darth Maher
10-10-12, 12:10 PM
^ I think he is trying to say that he prefers the 2002 version. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm just glad the original is included.

arbogast777
10-10-12, 12:16 PM
Target.com says the steelbook is in stock at my store, but I was just there and didn't see a single one.

Make sure you're looking in the "Family" section not the regular space where new releases go...

Giles
10-10-12, 12:18 PM
^ I think he is trying to say that he prefers the 2002 version. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm just glad the original is included.

aw gotcha...

LosingMyMind
10-10-12, 12:43 PM
Huh? I thought the blu-ray was the theatrical version...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57295/et-the-extra-terrestrial-anniversary-edition/
I saw the special edition in theaters, not the original version. Would prefer to have the version I saw included, but I'll just stick to the DVD set if Universal is too stupid to put it on the BD.

Shannon Nutt
10-10-12, 03:13 PM
I saw the special edition in theaters, not the original version. Would prefer to have the version I saw included, but I'll just stick to the DVD set if Universal is too stupid to put it on the BD.

You should talk to George Lucas, he'd be your best friend forever if you said that about Star Wars. :)

Around "these parts" we're all about the original theatrical versions.

Solid Snake
10-10-12, 03:27 PM
You should talk to George Lucas, he'd be your best friend forever if you said that about Star Wars. :)

Around "these parts" we're all about the original theatrical versions.

or at least the addition of the SE. Though never presenting it as the better one. I don't care the SE. THOUGH...I do consider it a flaw in presentation for this release. It's part of film history now. It's now possibly lost forever for the future. Does it matter? Not towards the grandeur of the film. BUT as an object of film history..it's a small crack in the wall.

emachine12
10-10-12, 04:46 PM
... but I'll just stick to the DVD set if Universal is too stupid to put it on the BD.

It was not Universal's call... Steven Spielberg admitted he made mistake with the 2002 version and regretted it moreso than pointing guns at kids. He only approved the original 1982 version. Although you said you'll stick to the DVD so...

wahlers
10-10-12, 04:47 PM
I still prefer the 2002 theatrical version over the 1982 one.

Not so much that I didn't pick up the Blu-Ray, but really wished he had made both versions available (preferably in the same package).

I've been a fan of the film since I was 6 and saw it in the theatres back in 1982, but some of the puppet work has start bothering me ever since I became an adult and I liked the updates made in the 2002 version. Don't get me wrong, most of it is okay, but some of it was bothersome enough that it has started becoming a film that I could appreciate, but not enjoy.

But, just like with Star Wars, I have to accept whatever the filmmaker wants and just want the DVD sometimes and the Blu-Ray other times depending on which one I want to watch.

Spottedfeather
10-10-12, 05:04 PM
Has Target started shipping the steelbook yet ? I haven't received any notice of it.

JeffTheAlpaca
10-10-12, 05:21 PM
Maybe it is hard to find the steelbook in the Target seach engine if you look for "ET Blu-ray" but here it is.

I just typed "ET Steelbook" in the search engine.

http://www.target.com/p/e-t-steelbook-available-only-at-target/-/A-14212948#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=et%20steelbook

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Bat_Zignal/IMG_0813res.jpg

whotony
10-10-12, 05:56 PM
I find it typing E. T.

Anyway Feather. When djd you order it? I did it a coiple months ago and it was cancelled a few days before release.

mdc3000
10-10-12, 08:05 PM
Finally us Canadians got a good deal - Future Shop had the steelbook for $14.99 and I was able to apply a $10 off coupon to it that I got when I purchased JAWS. $4.99 for a steelbook of one of my favourite movies of all time = WIN.

Spottedfeather
10-10-12, 09:35 PM
I find it typing E. T.

Anyway Feather. When djd you order it? I did it a coiple months ago and it was cancelled a few days before release.

Yeah, I ordered it in early August. A couple of weeks ago, I checked on it in case they decided to ship early. It said it was cancelled. So, I reordered it October 5th. It's been a day since since it was supposed to come out and still nothing. It still says Not Yet Shipped. Also, the estimated date when I'm supposed to have it in my hands is October 12th to October 16th.

Tommy Bunz
10-11-12, 08:09 AM
I don't know if this is a related or common issue but my Target said that there was a delay/shipping issue...they still haven't recieved any steelbooks whatsoever.
So maybe there are some supply chain issues somewhere affecting this release.

Solid Snake
10-11-12, 08:33 PM
My Denton BB still had a shit ton of Digibooks for the film. I was worried there wouldn't be any left over. I had to get it cuz it has to stay in visual uniformity w/ Jaws now.

Spottedfeather
10-12-12, 03:18 AM
Any word on when Target is going to ship these out ? I'm really tired of waiting. I'd try the store, but apparently, they don't have any either.

jacob_b
10-12-12, 04:41 AM
So I just went to Best Buy and got the one with the book. Now come to see on here that there is a steel book that Target got? I wonder how many people will double dip and get both because of their collector addiction...

Spottedfeather
10-12-12, 04:20 PM
I now hate Target and wish them to quickly go out of business. The stores are so cheap, dark, and dirty. K-Mart seems like FAO Schwartz by comparison. And, with this mess about them not having the steelbook, I can say without a doubt, I will never have anything to do with Target again.

LosingMyMind
10-12-12, 04:23 PM
I now hate Target and wish them to quickly go out of business. The stores are so cheap, dark, and dirty. K-Mart seems like FAO Schwartz by comparison. And, with this mess about them not having the steelbook, I can say without a doubt, I will never have anything to do with Target again.
The Target I frequent has aisles paved in gold. You must live in the ghetto.

whotony
10-12-12, 04:23 PM

Stop it already. Jeez.

This is a perfect description of Walmart and Kmart. I've never seen a target that looks like what you described.

OldBoy
10-12-12, 04:36 PM

i call BS. until it has the next exclusive for a movie you like.

TomOpus
10-12-12, 04:38 PM
I now hate Target and wish them to quickly go out of business. The stores are so cheap, dark, and dirty. K-Mart seems like FAO Schwartz by comparison. I don't believe you've ever been in a Target.

islandclaws
10-12-12, 06:13 PM

Maybe you should try going to Target anyway and work on making some fucking friends so you can stop being such a hyperbolic prick about some things.

You are constantly one step away from trolling. And that's arguable.

Spottedfeather
10-12-12, 08:59 PM
I don't believe you've ever been in a Target.

I was in one just on Monday night.

Spottedfeather
10-12-12, 09:00 PM
I just checked and the steelbook was finally shipped. Now, we'll see it comes without any damage.

Mike86
10-12-12, 09:33 PM
Still waiting on my copy of the digibook from Best Buy to arrive. They sent it out on October 6th but I still haven't received it :( Hopefully tomorrow it'll be here.

Spottedfeather
10-12-12, 09:51 PM
i call BS. until it has the next exclusive for a movie you like.

It shouldn't be that hard. This past Monday when I was in a Target was only the second time in my life that I've been in one. The first time was 15 years ago or so when the store opened.

TomOpus
10-12-12, 09:52 PM
I was in one just on Monday night. Then your description must come from anger rather than facts. I've been to dozens of Targets and each has been well-lit and organized. The last 3 Kmarts I've been to (and I admit I very rarely visit one) look just like they did back in the 80's; drab and desolate.

Solid Snake
10-12-12, 11:27 PM
It shouldn't be that hard. This past Monday when I was in a Target was only the second time in my life that I've been in one. The first time was 15 years ago or so when the store opened.

so wait...you've only been in a Target twice. In 15 years. And you're bitching about how the store is. The whole company of stores...for 1 you've been in...in 15 years. Stop being a pussy. just man the fuck up, and stop it w/ your BS bitching.

OldBoy
10-13-12, 11:00 AM
so wait...you've only been in a Target twice. In 15 years. And you're bitching about how the store is. The whole company of stores...for 1 you've been in...in 15 years. Stop being a pussy. just man the fuck up, and stop it w/ your BS bitching.

:lol:

OldBoy
10-13-12, 11:01 AM
how is the actual digibook of the Best Buy exclsuive? good info, nice pics? worth keeping if i already have the SteelBook™?

mzupeman2
10-13-12, 11:03 AM
Back to relevancy though, there are stores I absolutely loathe that I do buy things at when they have such an exclusive. Best Buy being a prime example. I used to spend thousands of dollars a year there, now, I'm lucky if I get a single Reward Zone certificate in a year... so even when I buy something like their E.T. digibook, they've still taken quite a hit from my business. So, I can't blame the guy for saying he won't be 'shopping' there again, but it does seem pretty silly to say such a thing if he was never a regular customer there like I used to be with Best Buy.

Personally, I think the BB digi craps all over that plain looking steelbook, and yes, the presentation inside is nice. Just my opinion though.

slop101
10-13-12, 11:38 AM
how is the actual digibook of the Best Buy exclsuive? good info, nice pics? worth keeping if i already have the SteelBook™?It's one of the better digibooks - similar in quality/info to the Jaws one, if you've seen that.

Strevlac
10-13-12, 11:48 AM
I am not a fan of Universal's HD transfers. With them it's either an old ugly 1080p telecine or a highly touted digital "restoration" that goes overboard with the digital tweaking (The Sting, Jaws, Out Of Africa).

Well, I don't know what happened with E.T. but it's perfect. The best thing I have ever seen from Universal. It's like watching a brand-new, perfectly timed 35mm print.

OldBoy
10-13-12, 12:05 PM
It's one of the better digibooks - similar in quality/info to the Jaws one, if you've seen that.

i loved the info. in the Jaws one. thanks.

Superdaddy
10-13-12, 12:43 PM
I am not a fan of Universal's HD transfers. With them it's either an old ugly 1080p telecine or a highly touted digital "restoration" that goes overboard with the digital tweaking (The Sting, Jaws, Out Of Africa).

Well, I don't know what happened with E.T. but it's perfect. The best thing I have ever seen from Universal. It's like watching a brand-new, perfectly timed 35mm print.

This is thrilling news. I haven't watched mine yet.

Mike86
10-13-12, 01:45 PM
Got mine today. It's a nice digibook but my only complaint is Best Buy really cheaps out on their packaging. It came in a simple mailer that doesn't even have bubble wrap or anything, so I wound up with some bent corners. Oh well..

BuckNaked2k
10-13-12, 01:53 PM
Got mine today. It's a nice digibook but my only complaint is Best Buy really cheaps out on their packaging. It came in a simple mailer that doesn't even have bubble wrap or anything, so I wound up with some bent corners. Oh well..You should see DeepDiscount lately. Just a shrink-wrap mylar bag. I have returned my last 3 orders for broken cases. You'd think these companies would realize how much they are losing in returns vs. having better packaging.

Mike86
10-13-12, 02:21 PM
You should see DeepDiscount lately. Just a shrink-wrap mylar bag. I have returned my last 3 orders for broken cases. You'd think these companies would realize how much they are losing in returns vs. having better packaging.
I'm not for sure if that's what kind they used on mine or not. It's basically a bag slightly thicker than normal plastic is. Absolutely nothing in it though to protect the contents.

Tommy Bunz
10-13-12, 06:11 PM

Yup. Spent all morning watching the film and going through the new extras.
Honestly one of the best HD transfers I've ever seen. It's beautiful.
New extras are pretty great too, the ET Journals behind the scenes doc is really cool, you really get a feel for how Spielberg directs and acts behind the camera.

Enterprise
10-14-12, 02:41 AM
It was not Universal's call... Steven Spielberg admitted he made mistake with the 2002 version and regretted it moreso than pointing guns at kids. He only approved the original 1982 version. Although you said you'll stick to the DVD so...
Aside from the stupidity of (repeatedly) changing the Solo/Greedo scene, for the most part I don't mind the improvements to Star Wars - I appreciate what Lucas is trying to do.

E.T. on the other-hand I found plain silly. The idea that you can bring in an unfinished scene using CGI is cool (eg E.T. in bath) but, like Star Wars (Jabba the Hutt at the Falcon), it just doesn't work. Likewise applying modern day P.C. overkill such as flashlights instead of guns against a movie, characters, and events that are not from such an era again didn't work. I'm very glad Speilberg regretted it and I look forward to watching the restored original when it comes out here in Australia in two more weeks.

Darth Maher
10-14-12, 10:54 AM
I was at Target the other day and they had one steelbook. But I was planning to get the digibook from Best Buy so I passed.

So yesterday I was able to use an upgrade and save as we'll as the Universal $3 off coupon. Haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet (Nov 1 most likely :) )but the book is pretty nice.

tylergfoster
10-20-12, 01:00 AM
Does anyone want the Steelbook? I bought it on a whim and later realized that Best Buy has the Digibook. I'd love to trade the Steelbook for a copy of the Digibook, if anyone's up for it. I opened it (which is why I didn't just return it), but is otherwise pristine, since it's just been sitting on my desk since I brought it home.

Mr. Cinema
01-27-13, 08:07 PM
FYI. The Best Buy exclusive digibook is now on sale for $19.99. $14.99 after a dvd trade-in.