Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Starz will re-air all 29 eps of Spartacus in Chronological Order (Starting 6/8)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

via press release:

Marathon to Begin Airing Friday, June 8th at 9 PM ET/PT

Beverly Hills, Calif., May 24, 2012 – For the first time, Starz will air all 29 episodes of Spartacus in chronological order, beginning with “Gods of the Arena,” then “Blood and Sand,” and concluding with “Vengeance,” Friday nights from 9pm - 11pm ET/PT, beginning June 8th.

“Spartacus: Gods of the Arena”

Episodes to air June 8 & 15

June 8 9pm Past Transgressions
10pm Missio
11pm Paterfamilias
June 15 9pm Beneath The Mask
10pm Reckoning
11pm The Bitter End (Series Finale)

The House of Batiatus is on the rise, basking in the glow of its infamous champion Gannicus (Dustin Clare), whose skill with a sword is matched only by his thirst for wine and women. These are the times a young Batiatus has been waiting for. Poised to overthrow his father and take control; he’ll freely betray anyone to ensure his gladiators are in the highest demand. And he’ll have his loyal and calculating wife Lucretia by his side for every underhanded scheme, drawing on the brazen talents of her seductive friend Gaia when it counts. Together, they will stop at nothing to deceive the masses, seize power, and bleed Capua dry.

“Spartacus: Blood and Sand”

Episodes to air June 22, 29 and July 6, 13, 20

June 22 9pm The Red Serpent
10pm Sacramentum Gladiatorum
11pm Legends
June 29 9pm The Thing In The Pit
10pm Shadow Games
11pm Delicate Things
July 6 9pm Great And Unfortunate Things
10pm Mark Of The Brotherhood
11pm Whore
July 13 9pm Party Favors
10pm Old Wounds
11pm Revelations
July 20 9pm Kill Them All (Series Finale)

Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator. Torn from his Homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus (Andy Whitfield) is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More than a gladiator. He must become a legend.

“Spartacus: Vengeance”

Episodes to air July 20, 27 and August 3, 10

July 20 10pm Fugitivus
11pm A Place In This World
July 27 9pm The Greater Good
10pm Empty Hands
11pm Libertus
August 3 9pm Chosen Path
10pm Sacramentum
11pm Balance
August 10 9pm Monsters
10pm Wrath Of The Gods (Series Finale)

On the heels of the bloody escape from the House of Batiatus, the gladiator rebellion continues and begins to strike fear into the heart of the Roman Republic. Gaius Claudius Glaber and his Roman troops are sent to Capua to crush the growing band of freed slaves that Spartacus (Liam McIntyre) leads before it can inflict further damage. Spartacus is presented the choice of satisfying his personal need for vengeance against the man that condemned his wife to slavery and eventual death, or making the larger sacrifices necessary to keep his budding army from breaking apart.

The “Spartacus” series is executive produced by Rob Tapert (The Grudge, “Xena: Warrior Princess” and “Hercules: The Legendary Journeys”), Steven S. DeKnight (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer”), Sam Raimi (Spider-Man and The Evil Dead), and Joshua Donen (The Quick and the Dead).

About Starz Entertainment
Starz Entertainment, LLC, is a premium movie and original programming entertainment service provider operating in the United States. The company offers 17 premium channels including the flagship STARZ® and ENCORE® brands with approximately 20.1 million and 33.6 million subscribers respectively. Starz Entertainment airs in total more than 1,000 movies and original series every month across its pay TV channels. Starz Entertainment is recognized as a pay TV leader in providing HD, On Demand, HD On Demand and online advanced services for its STARZ, ENCORE and MOVIEPLEX brands. Starz Entertainment (www.starz.com) is an operating unit of Starz, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation (NASDAQ: LMCA).

If you have never seen Spartacus, have lots of DVR space and subscribe to Starz, this is an excellent way to get all caught up. Plus, it's Summer, so network TV viewing is light anyways.

FYI, the 3rd season doesn't start until January 2013.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-24-12 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Starz will re-air all 29 eps of Spartacus in Chronological Order (Starting 6/8)

Thats awesome. Great show.
Old 05-24-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Starz will re-air all 29 eps of Spartacus in Chronological Order (Starting 6/8)

Hmmm, might have to do this. Just checked my DTV account and apparently you can get Starz and Showtime 2 for 1 now. Since I already have Showtime it should be a wash to add Starz.
Old 05-24-12, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick note for people watching this for the first time, watch Gods of the Arena between "Blood and Sand" and "Vengeance". While it's technically a prequel to Blood and Sand, it aired after it. I imagine that most of the stuff would work fine watched first, but the very first scene of Gods of the Arena gives away a huge scene from Blood and Sand.
Old 05-24-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Interesting. I was planning on keeping Starz after Magic City ended for the Boss S1 reair and Boss S2 (if I like it).

Some suit at Starz has a brain: to reair these originals and try to capture new viewers. Not to mention that it helps preserve subscriptions. And not everyone has (real) VOD to watch these things.
Old 05-24-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

one of the best shows ever made
Old 05-24-12, 03:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Yeah, definitely DON'T watch Gods of the Arena before Spartacus: Blood & Sand. Unless they removed the first few scenes, it does give away quite a bit that happens later on in the series.
Old 05-24-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Someone needs to ask Steven DeKnight or Starz Twitter pages about this marathon and the whole deal with Gods of the Arena and Blood and Sand if they can be viewed chronologically.
Old 05-24-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I only watched the first season. I skipped the prequel as well as the subsequent season. I'll consider playing catch-up with this show.
Old 05-24-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay, I just sent a Tweet to DeKnight and he replied back.

He confirmed that you have to watch in the order that it aired. The spoiler will still be there.
Old 05-24-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by clckworang
I only watched the first season. I skipped the prequel as well as the subsequent season. I'll consider playing catch-up with this show.
If you have Starz and don't have alot of time, you can probably skip the prequel and jump into the Vengeance re-airs. It's pretty much a direct follow up to Blood and Sand. However, a character that was introduced in Gods of the Arena will be brought back and they do make some references to that season.
Old 05-25-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Great show indeed... for anyone watching them for the first time. Perfect time to check it out.
Old 05-25-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only ever seen the first 3 episodes of the original series (couldn't afford STARZ once the free period was over back then) - So I'm definitely going to jump on this. I need a new Friday night show now that I've ran out of 'Chuck' DVDs...
Old 05-25-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Interesting. I was planning on keeping Starz after Magic City ended for the Boss S1 reair and Boss S2 (if I like it).

Some suit at Starz has a brain: to reair these originals and try to capture new viewers. Not to mention that it helps preserve subscriptions. And not everyone has (real) VOD to watch these things.
When does Boss re air? Never finished it.
Old 05-25-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
When does Boss re air? Never finished it.
Starting June 11th on Starz Edge