Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

2K cancels future MLB games (MLB 2K12 will be last one)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5912483/major-leag...n-is-confirmed

Major League Baseball 2K’s Cancellation Looms on Grim News from Game’s Creators
Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of 2K Sports, notably left Major League Baseball 2K out of its planned releases in its coming fiscal year in a call with investors today. Kotaku asked Take-Two Interactive if it could confirm the end of the series, and it released this statement:

"Our legacy Major League Baseball agreement will sunset in fiscal 2013," a Take-Two spokesman said, meaning in the coming 12 calendar months. "MLB 2K12 is our last offering under that agreement. At this time, we have no further comment."

While that language would seem to leave open the possibility for a new agreement, in a conference call with investors today, Take-Two said it expects the losses associated with the game to be 50 percent less in the coming fiscal year, and zeroed out in the one after that, strongly indicating the expiration of the series.

Kotaku asked directly if Take-Two or 2K Sports was in any discussion to extend its agreement and did not receive any answer. MLB 2K was not on its list of anticipated releases for the coming fiscal year, mimicking the quiet deaths shown to 2K Sports' NHL and College Hoops series.

Take-Two's seven-year pact with Major League Baseball, a deal cut by a previous management regime, was believed to cost the company $30 million dollars as the series never found consistent critical or commercial success.

Take-Two chief Strauss Zelnick had long indicated that the company would not renew the deal with MLB, calling it a money-loser the company had no interest in. The company's strategy, increasingly, is to produce high quality offerings on franchises it wholly owns, and MLB 2K represented neither.

The move means NBA 2K—which Take-Two said by itself made 2K Sports profitable in the past fiscal year—is 2K Sports' only remaining annual sports title. The label published Top Spin, a tennis simulation, in 2011 but it was never an annual series.

It also means there could be no Major League Baseball simulation title for the Xbox 360 next year. 2K Sports had the exclusive rights to develop and publish third-party console games. This effectively made it the exclusive title on the 360, as Microsoft did not publish its own game. Sony produces its own for the PlayStation line, the acclaimed MLB The Show.

EA Sports publishes a Major League Baseball-licensed Facebook game but is expected to sit out on console titles until the next generation of hardware arrives. Kotaku has reached out to EA Sports for comment.

I have an XBox 360, so The Show isn't an option for me. This sucks for 2K since they also lost their NHL license. NBA is their last game series left.

Has anyone here bought MLB 2K12? Is it any good? I was thinking about eventually picking it up when it gets cheaper.
Old 05-24-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 2K cancels future MLB games (MLB 2K12 will be last one)

Not surprising. MLB2k11 was okay which was the last one I played. And truth be told unlike many other 2k games I'm fortunate enough to review, they didn't even send me 2k12 which shows you how much they thought of it. I miss when baseball games used to be fun to play (RBI's, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Baseball Stars, etc). Now it seems too simulationrific and too technical. I'd kill for a good legends game that had an arcade type experience on the 360.
Old 05-24-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I wonder if Sony would ever consider going cross platform (not sure if people would buy a PS over an Xbox just for the Show).
Old 05-24-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hrmmm...not even Kate Upton could save them. Sigh.
Old 05-24-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sony would make some serious cash if they made The Show available on the 360. I know it would never happen...
Old 05-24-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Sony would make some serious cash if they made The Show available on the 360. I know it would never happen...
Or at least for PC.
Old 05-24-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

MVP 2013. EA needs to make it happen.
Old 05-24-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Not surprising. MLB2k11 was okay which was the last one I played. And truth be told unlike many other 2k games I'm fortunate enough to review, they didn't even send me 2k12 which shows you how much they thought of it. I miss when baseball games used to be fun to play (RBI's, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Baseball Stars, etc). Now it seems too simulationrific and too technical. I'd kill for a good legends game that had an arcade type experience on the 360.
I kind of agree with here. Back in the Genesis days, I loved World Series Baseball. The controls were simple and it was a pretty fun simulation. Now with the games becoming alot more realistic (aiming your pitches, selecting the type of pitch, choosing your batting stance and aiming your bat) It's become alot more frustrating and not as fun.
Old 05-25-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I played every baseball game from Micro League Baseball thru The Show 12 and nothing hold my attention these days. Like Kedrix mentioned, it's just too technical. To steal a base you need to have a Masters Degree in Physics.
Old 05-25-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I played every baseball game from Micro League Baseball thru The Show 12 and nothing hold my attention these days. Like Kedrix mentioned, it's just too technical. To steal a base you need to have a Masters Degree in Physics.
Isn't that the same with most sports games though? Like there's something to be said for the simplicity of a Tecmo Bowl as compared to a modern Madden game.
Old 05-25-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Isn't that the same with most sports games though? Like there's something to be said for the simplicity of a Tecmo Bowl as compared to a modern Madden game.
Yes and no. While a football game is certainly more complicated than it was around the Tecmo Bowl era, it doesn't feel too complicated. I've played a couple of madden games in the last 5 years and I never felt out of touch so to speak. Same with Basketball. Hockey too. But there is something about baseball that goes above and beyond and seems to cater only to the hardcore of the hardcore.

I absolutely adore baseball stats more than any type of sports statistics on this earth and I understand basically everything about them. So I get "baseball", but MLB2k11 takes all of the fun out of it, especially in pitching. Who wants to tilt an analog stick in some confusing direction to get a pitch go correctly? Answer, nobody.
Old 05-25-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is that Baseball games (IMHO) peaked around MVP Baseball. Hitting was one stick "aim where the ball is going" and push the button. It took a little bit of skill, but was managable. These recent games with pitching and hitting require complex 2 stick movements are a pain and create an unnecessary learning curve. If anything baseball games should be more like The Bigs than MLB 2k
Old 05-25-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I love The Bigs, which is also produced by 2K. That is a fun Arcade simulation and the controls are really simple. They only produced 2 editions (one with Pujols on the cover and the other with Fielder)
Old 05-25-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
MVP 2013. EA needs to make it happen.
Old 05-25-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I kind of agree with here. Back in the Genesis days, I loved World Series Baseball. The controls were simple and it was a pretty fun simulation. Now with the games becoming alot more realistic (aiming your pitches, selecting the type of pitch, choosing your batting stance and aiming your bat) It's become alot more frustrating and not as fun.
Man, i loved that game. I played through an entire season with a friend of mine one year, no simulations. I think I had 117 HRs with Manny Ramirez on the Indians.
Old 06-06-12, 06:01 AM

I pretty much canceled all purchases of sports games when they started aping the TV sportscasts. I don't watch sports on TV.

I don't want to watch the game, I want to play it.

I don't want to hear commentators spouting the same stupid cliche for the eleventy-billionth time.

I don't much care about having "real" teams and players.

Toss the licenses. Ditch the TV shows. Stuff the commentators. Make a fun game. I'll buy it.
Old 06-06-12, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bippitty
I pretty much canceled all purchases of sports games when they started aping the TV sportscasts. I don't watch sports on TV.

I don't want to watch the game, I want to play it.

I don't want to hear commentators spouting the same stupid cliche for the eleventy-billionth time.

I don't much care about having "real" teams and players.

Toss the licenses. Ditch the TV shows. Stuff the commentators. Make a fun game. I'll buy it.
I don't agree with you here. The MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL licenses are extremely important for sports games. It adds realism and the fantasy sports element to it.

I don't want to play an Baseball game that features a generic Los Angeles vs San Francisco with made up names like Fatt Blemp or Jim Hincecrumb. I'm not 12 years old with an old NES system.

2K tried that a few years ago after they lost the NFL license with a generic football game with only real Hall of Famer/Legends player names. No current players were used. I don't think that game sold very well. You can now buy it used for less than $10.
Old 06-06-12, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't agree with you here. The MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL licenses are extremely important for sports games. It adds realism and the fantasy sports element to it.
Agreed --- but I'd like to have the option to start a fictional league. When I play The Show 12 with my Tigers, there are expectations of what each player can/should do based on my knowledge base with those players. I've always liked the fictional option because you never know if you drafter a diamond in the rough or if Fatt Blemp was going to hit 4 or 40 HR's. Just my $0.02
Old 06-07-12, 12:25 AM

I don't want to play an Baseball game that features a generic Los Angeles vs San Francisco with made up names like Fatt Blemp or Jim Hincecrumb. I'm not 12 years old with an old NES system.

2K tried that a few years ago after they lost the NFL license with a generic football game with only real Hall of Famer/Legends player names. No current players were used. I don't think that game sold very well. You can now buy it used for less than $10.
I'm not a sports fan. I don't hate the licenses, but for me, they're a waste of money. I don't know who any of the players are. I know the names of some of the teams, but I don't care. I just threw that in to pad the rant.

I'm really only bugged by the limitations and foolish filler caused by making TV broadcasting the dominant paradigm. And the fact that the games aren't really that fun.

Sometime I'll have to complain about the way so many other game genres too slavishly copy the movies.
Old 06-07-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a sports fan. I don't hate the licenses, but for me, they're a waste of money.
You're not the market they're catering to. And what person that doesn't like sports go out and buy sports games?
Old 06-07-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I would never buy a mainstream sports game that does not have the real players in it.
Old 06-07-12, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
You're not the market they're catering to. And what person that doesn't like sports go out and buy sports games?
The sort of person who likes to play games. I don't have to like criminals to play Grand Theft Auto.
Old 06-07-12, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're missing the point.
Old 06-07-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

The sort of person who likes to play games. I don't have to like criminals to play Grand Theft Auto.
You don't like sports, yet your chiming in on an MLB Sports game thread? As McFly just said, these types of sports games with real players, teams are obviously not meant for someone like you.

Just should probably get a Wii and stick to stuff like this then:

http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Sports-M...9071812&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Super-Sl...9071909&sr=8-4
Old 06-07-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

I purchased a PS3 last year so I could play MLB The Show. I loved the MVP series so when that was discontinued I was stuck with the mediocre 2K series on my 360.
The Show is a great series, but I agree that they make the controls overly complex. If they simplified them it would be much more fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.