DVD Talk
Amazon offering $10 Movie Cash for MiB3 with MiB3 blu pre-order [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Amazon offering $10 Movie Cash for MiB3 with MiB3 blu pre-order

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-23-12, 03:41 PM
First 10,000 orders only:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_170630_24041240_pe_button/?docId=1000802721&ie=UTF8

Question, what's to stop me from cancelling my pre-order after I've redeemed the movie cash? Nothing in their terms and conditions seems to address it.

Gobear
05-23-12, 05:15 PM
You can also get $10 movie cash when you buy Blus of the first 2 MiB films at Best Buy, which was a great deal during the $5 trade-in deal. Why would anyone pre-order a blu-Ray of a film they haven't even seen yet?

NoirFan
05-23-12, 05:38 PM
Why would anyone pre-order a blu-Ray of a film they haven't even seen yet?
People buy movies they haven't seen all the time.

DWilson
05-23-12, 06:14 PM
(deleted)

Shannon Nutt
05-23-12, 06:25 PM
Prebooked...now we can all see the movie for free, hate it, and come back and cancel our orders. It's a win/win.

mifuneral
05-23-12, 06:51 PM
in for one, worth a shot.

Decker
05-23-12, 07:27 PM
Prebooked...now we can all see the movie for free, hate it, and come back and cancel our orders. It's a win/win.

My thinking exactly.

PopcornTreeCt
05-23-12, 07:44 PM
I hope they do this for movies I want to see.

g
05-23-12, 08:09 PM
I wonder if they will put in a system to prevent orders from being canceled. During the mastercard promotion, it said I couldn't cancel items from my order. Or maybe they will just charge the price of the ticket if you cancel after receiving it.

whotony
05-23-12, 09:20 PM
Sure why not.

Shannon Nutt
05-24-12, 06:45 AM
I got my code this morning...went to the site and tried to enter it and it's telling me it's NOT VALID! :(

I've tried cutting and pasting it, typing it in all caps, and typing it lowecase - no dice!

Anyone else having this issue...I'm going to email Amazon, but I'm wondering if you can't enter it until 5/25?

NoirFan
05-24-12, 08:41 AM
Question, what's to stop me from cancelling my pre-order after I've redeemed the movie cash? Nothing in their terms and conditions seems to address it.

From the code email: Amazon may terminate or modify the terms of this offer at any time in its sole discretion.

GCS
05-24-12, 09:09 AM
I got my code this morning...went to the site and tried to enter it and it's telling me it's NOT VALID! :(

I've tried cutting and pasting it, typing it in all caps, and typing it lowecase - no dice!

Anyone else having this issue...I'm going to email Amazon, but I'm wondering if you can't enter it until 5/25?

Same problem.

Manzana
05-24-12, 10:41 AM
I wonder if they will put in a system to prevent orders from being canceled. During the mastercard promotion, it said I couldn't cancel items from my order. Or maybe they will just charge the price of the ticket if you cancel after receiving it.
My worry exactly. Matinees at my closest theater are under $6, and I always go then anyway (evenings are too crowded and expensive for me). So if I preordered, got the code, saw the movie and didn't like it (or when release date of the BD came out I found a much better deal), I worry that Amazon might try to change me $10 for something that is only worth $6.

That's the only reason I don't pull the trigger on this. It's not worth getting charged $10 for a $6 movie since their promotion terms are vague and they can modify them after the fact. Now if I liked the movie (which is likely) and the preorder price drops to something more reasonable then I'd probably keep the preorder, but that's a big IF.

Has anyone who has preordered and gotten the code tried canceling the order already and did it work?

davidh777
05-24-12, 10:47 AM
My worry exactly. Matinees at my closest theater are under $6, and I always go then anyway (evenings are too crowded and expensive for me). So if I preordered, got the code, saw the movie and didn't like it (or when release date of the BD came out I found a much better deal), I worry that Amazon might try to change me $10 for something that is only worth $6.

That's the only reason I don't pull the trigger on this. It's not worth getting charged $10 for a $6 movie since their promotion terms are vague and they can modify them after the fact. Now if I liked the movie (which is likely) and the preorder price drops to something more reasonable then I'd probably keep the preorder, but that's a big IF.

Has anyone who has preordered and gotten the code tried canceling the order already and did it work?

So you're worried about getting charged an extra $4 instead of gaming the system to get it for free?

LPMA
05-24-12, 10:47 AM
I'm also getting the "Not a valid code" error.

Shannon Nutt
05-24-12, 11:29 AM
Reply from Amazon:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that the promotional code for the DVD, "Men in Black 3" isn't working.

I've reported this to our technical team. They're working on taking care of it and it'll take a bit more time than usual.

I just wanted to let you know I'll write back in 2-3 business days with more information.

I'm sorry for the additional delay and inconvenience and hope we can work this out soon.

Thanks for giving me time to find the best solution.

Two or three business days? No thanks...I want to see MIB 3 THIS weekend. Cancelling prebook. :(

davidh777
05-24-12, 11:37 AM
My guess is they're underpromising, but that's a big promo fail

LPMA
05-24-12, 01:05 PM
Yeah I'm guessing it's a case of the promo codes being generated as the orders are made, but not being added to the website's database automatically thus us getting an error message. They'll probably batch-add them at a later time, probably much earlier than you will get that tech-guy's answer.

Shannon Nutt
05-24-12, 03:41 PM
Update: It was an issue with the Movie Cash site, not with the Amazon code. The site's been fixed and you should be able to enter/redeem your codes now. You have the option of getting a $10 movie ticket or a $5 ticket for concessions (not sure why you'd get the latter, but anyway....).

Double_Oh_7
05-24-12, 03:49 PM
Why would anyone pre-order a blu-Ray of a film they haven't even seen yet?

You've never heard of a "blind buy" before??

Mike86
05-24-12, 04:55 PM
I don't really see the point to this I guess. The first two films on Blu-ray already come with movie cash for the film. I got my copy of Men In Black for like $12 so basically I got a $3 Blu-ray plus a chance to see the movie at no real cost.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-24-12, 05:06 PM
I don't really see the point to this I guess. The first two films on Blu-ray already come with movie cash for the film. I got my copy of Men In Black for like $12 so basically I got a $3 Blu-ray plus a chance to see the movie at no real cost.

The appeal is the possiblity to cancel the order and see MiB3 at no cost, if it works out that way. And if you really like the film, and Amazon has a good price by release day, maybe you just keep the pre-order. You aren't charged until it ships and there is plenty of time to cancel.

Mike86
05-24-12, 05:12 PM
Honestly maybe I'm just not that cheap but I wouldn't do that personally. :shrug: This kind of promotion probably won't happen often or just have an adverse affect on Amazon's pricing if people start taking advantage of stuff like this.

Decker
05-24-12, 08:03 PM
Update: It was an issue with the Movie Cash site, not with the Amazon code. The site's been fixed and you should be able to enter/redeem your codes now. You have the option of getting a $10 movie ticket or a $5 ticket for concessions (not sure why you'd get the latter, but anyway....).

If you didn't want to see that movie, I guess.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-24-12, 08:50 PM
If you didn't want to see that movie, I guess.

Yeah, I redeemed a movie cash thing for concession cash once, cuz I didn't want to see any of the movies that were part of the offer. I think the one I redeemed offered you the same value at the concession as at the box office though. So I got concession cash, took my Toy Story 3 Movie Cash certs, and had a night at the movies with the wife with concessions at no charge.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-24-12, 08:53 PM
Honestly maybe I'm just not that cheap but I wouldn't do that personally. :shrug: This kind of promotion probably won't happen often or just have an adverse affect on Amazon's pricing if people start taking advantage of stuff like this.

I'm totally that cheap and unashamed to admit it. I've no interest in either of the first 2 films on Blu, but I'll go see the new one for free in a heartbeat.

Worst case, they take the cost of the cert out of my order if I cancel. I can live with that, since I was probably going to see it anyway.

joltman
05-25-12, 08:40 AM

How did you get a $3 Blu-ray and a chance to see the movie at no real cost? If you paid $12, then you paid $12, either $12 for a Blu-ray and free movie admission, or $3 for a Blu-ray and $9 for movie admission.

To get back on this topic, I'm not going to bother because there's no way I'm going to pay first week price for this, and I don't like the uncertainty about what happens when you cancel. I remember I tried to get free tickets from Best Buy for Pirates 3 by returning the DVDs I bought to get the free tickets, but they ended up charging me for the tickets.

LPMA
05-25-12, 08:49 AM
I redeemed my e-cash and since the offer was not valid in Canada (despite the main promo page stating USA AND Canada) I canceled my Amazon order. So far, no catastrophe.

Mike86
05-25-12, 12:50 PM
How did you get a $3 Blu-ray and a chance to see the movie at no real cost? If you paid $12, then you paid $12, either $12 for a Blu-ray and free movie admission, or $3 for a Blu-ray and $9 for movie admission.

To get back on this topic, I'm not going to bother because there's no way I'm going to pay first week price for this, and I don't like the uncertainty about what happens when you cancel. I remember I tried to get free tickets from Best Buy for Pirates 3 by returning the DVDs I bought to get the free tickets, but they ended up charging me for the tickets.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Way I figure I was going to see the movie in theaters anyways which is like $9 at my theater. Buying the Blu-ray covered the price plus I got the first film on Blu-ray. So essentially it's a wash.