Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : When was the last time you watched an HD-DVD?

TGM
05-23-12, 11:20 AM
and what was it?

http://i.imgur.com/2w9v9.jpg

a/v Junkie
05-23-12, 11:37 AM
Last night!! I watched The Jerk on my HD A30 :thumbsup:

starseed1981
05-23-12, 12:02 PM
It was October 13th 2008 (Knocked Up).

trespoochies
05-23-12, 12:03 PM
Grand Prix a couple of years ago. My A1 now has a place in the garage on top of my VCR.

bunkaroo
05-23-12, 12:09 PM
Honestly can't remember. Probably an import title. By the time I get around to watching the small number of movies I have/had on HD DVD, the Blu-ray replacement is usually already in my collection.

With Meet Joe Black and Being John Malkovich coming out in the past few weeks on Blu, I think I have 5 HD DVD's left. Three of those (Born on the Fourth of July, Sea of Love and Mallrats) are already on the release calendar domestically or internationally. The two remaining are Midnight Run and Monty Python: Meaning of Life.

I still have my HD-XA2 hooked up and should probably just watch those two now and be done with it. No idea what I'm going to do with that player or my HD-A20 and HD-A1 that have been collecting dust since 2008.

BSTNFAN
05-23-12, 12:41 PM
Ummm...Does Camp Cuddly Pines Powertool Massacre count? If so, then my answer would be...recently.

ScissorPuppy
05-23-12, 01:37 PM
Last month I watched The Thing and Blade Runner.

nando820
05-23-12, 01:54 PM
probably The Thing too 2-3 months ago and i don't plan to "upgrade" to blu-ray either. That was the whole point i got an HD-DVD player to be able to buy HD movies for $2-3

asianxcore
05-23-12, 02:28 PM
A couple of months ago I watched Shaun of the Dead.

JimRochester
05-23-12, 04:12 PM
Last weekend i watched Caddyshack. Not a strong HD-DVD title but I already owned before I knew. I've only upgraded 2 HD-DVD titles and it had nothing to do with the movies. I upgraded Batman Begins on Black Friday for $5 and Heartbreak Kid for $4 as part of the BB 5/20 sale. I needed another title.

I have a spare player in the bedroom and another in the box in the basement. So I won't really be getting rid of HD-DVD for a long time.

Matthew Chmiel
05-23-12, 04:16 PM
I gave my Toshiba HD-A2 to my mother and stepfather with my HD-DVD collection when I moved in with my (now) wife earlier last year. So it's been more than a year now.

The titles I would watch most have already been purchased on the cheap on Blu-ray, but there's a few titles that I haven't upgraded (Children of Men, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, etc.) that need to be. I just don't want to spend more than $5 on them because I'm cheap.

mattysemo247
05-23-12, 04:27 PM
Never ;)

Alan Smithee
05-23-12, 04:37 PM
Watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last week, just because I got a new TV and wanted to verify my player was still hooked up right, and that movie had problems on my last TV which is why I got rid of it. I have every major release (except for Twister since everyone selling that is greedy) so I'll be watching a lot more soon. Still have to watch a D-VHS movie on the new TV!

Shannon Nutt
05-23-12, 04:56 PM
Ummm...Does Camp Cuddly Pines Powertool Massacre count? If so, then my answer would be...recently.

Good...but not as good as Space Nuts. :)

clappj
05-23-12, 04:59 PM
I hooked up the 'ole player not too long ago to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf.
That film definitely deserves a R1 Blu-ray release.
It looks and sounds great in HD!

trespoochies
05-23-12, 05:32 PM

It definitely needs a Region A release. The Studio Canal Region B does look and sound damn good.

JimRochester
05-23-12, 06:12 PM
I just don't want to spend more than $5 on them because I'm cheap.

I have a small collection of HD and even at $5 it would cost $400 to replace them with Blu. I know my HD stuff is worth something but not enough to justify changing everything over. Plus I think there are a few titles I still can't get on Blu

Bacon
05-23-12, 06:19 PM
Last night
The original original original Star Wars trilogy ;)

davidh777
05-23-12, 06:38 PM
Still watch The Getaway. Not on BD, DVD is non-anamorphic, rights might be in limbo because Warner canceled a double feature of both versions.

Adam Tyner
05-23-12, 07:05 PM
Seed of Chucky on March 2nd, 2009.

That's actually more recently than I thought. Kinda wish I could've named a movie that'd make me sound more awesome, but...

Out of Sight on 2/7/09 and a double feature of Atonement and Into the Wild on 2/1/09. Guess that was me taking advantage of a sale or somethin'.

BuckNaked2k
05-23-12, 07:10 PM
+1 UK import. Aaaaaah, the sweet region-free encoding of HD DVD!

Alan Smithee
05-23-12, 07:40 PM
Brotherhood of the Wolf was issued in the US on D-VHS, but I don't have that one- yet.

zyzzle
05-23-12, 08:03 PM
Couple of weeks ago! Watched Blade Runner. It's still a completely viable format for me, since I've got PLANET EARTH, The Getaway (1972 and 1994), THE THING (it's a better encode than the DNR'd Blu), and many others on the cheap when the Blus are the exact same encodes for lots more $$$.

I also use my HD-XA2 as my main DVD player because its upconversion ability is so terrific.

wakwak007
05-23-12, 09:43 PM
A couple of weeks ago I watched Zodiac. I still have my A-35 hooked up to my TV (Along w/ a Blu-ray player) and watch movies on it about every other month; I agree with several others that Brotherhood of the Wolf looks great!

Dean Kousoulas
05-23-12, 11:13 PM
Couple nights ago. I still have 3 movies left that haven't been released on Blu-Ray yet.

The movie in question was Midnight Run.

Dan
05-23-12, 11:41 PM
Tried to watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang when the in-laws were in town (a month ago?), but it seems that either my HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo drive is acting up, or Windows 8 Consumer Preview and TMT5 don't play nice with HD-DVDs, because the video was extremely choppy. Blu-ray plays seamlessly... as does DVD (which is how I ended up watching the movie, since the choppiness was just too distracting). A couple weeks ago, I tried The Good Shepard, and the same thing happened. So, I copied the files to my hard drive and... it played fine. WTF. So, for some reason, Windows 8 / TMT5 doesn't want me to play HD-DVDs directly, but has no problem playing the HD-DVD files from my hard drive. Very strange. I had no problems like this when I had Windows 8 Dev Preview installed, but something changed in the Consumer Preview to cause this to happen.

Matthew Chmiel
05-24-12, 01:40 AM
I have a small collection of HD and even at $5 it would cost $400 to replace them with Blu. I know my HD stuff is worth something but not enough to justify changing everything over. Plus I think there are a few titles I still can't get on Blu
I only had about 30 or so titles on HD-DVD and I scored most of them on the cheap when HD-DVD's demise was near. There were only a handful of titles that I paid more than $5-10 for (Children of Men, Transformers, The Bourne Ultimatum, and a few others).

All of my Warner HD-DVDs were replaced on the cheap as I used either the DVD-2-Blu or Red-2-Blu trade-in programs when they were available. I've reclaimed a few Universal titles when they've been priced $4.99 - $9.99 during sales at Amazon and Fry's. The only titles I haven't made a serious attempt at replacing have been my Paramount HD-DVDs. The only Paramount title I made the switch to Blu-ray so far has been Anchorman when the Best Buy exclusive came out.

The Bus
05-24-12, 02:33 AM
Sometime in 2010. I didn't take any media with me when I moved.

clckworang
05-24-12, 04:38 AM
It was probably about 6 months ago. We watched Hot Fuzz because that's still one of the titles I haven't switched to Blu-ray yet. I still have probably about 7 or 8 HD-DVDs that I haven't switched over.

Quake1028
05-24-12, 10:28 AM
Not in a while. Probably The Thing around 6 months ago. I moved recently and don't have room right now to have everything set up.

bunkaroo
05-24-12, 10:55 AM

This was the title that made me decide to get the mod to make my Oppo BDP-83 region hackable.

islandclaws
05-24-12, 04:08 PM
A couple weeks ago. I ordered, and watched, Midnight Run.

orangerunner
05-24-12, 09:13 PM
I still watch them on a regular basis. The players and discs work great and the quality is just as good as Blu-ray.

It's a really cheap way to build a good HD collection with titles on eBay for a buck or two.

lewisb73
05-25-12, 11:35 AM
Watched "The Jerk" about two weeks ago... still hilarious

Sweet Baby James
05-25-12, 12:03 PM
About two weeks ago, Pan's Labyrinth.

Trevor
05-25-12, 12:09 PM
The Thing back in October iirc. Bought at least 30 cheap HD titles when the sky fell, but have only watched a few.

Traded a couple of them in at the last Best Buy trade-in-save actually.

Joseph B
05-25-12, 06:35 PM
It was two years ago and the title was "Blazing Saddles". After we viewed that movie (which blew the DVD-equivalent away) the HD-DVD player was moved to the basement where it just serves as a DVD player at this point. The whole experience was very sad for me. Blu-ray has proven to be a good format, but the HD-DVD VC-1 encodes really *rocked* back then.

Paul_SD
05-25-12, 07:58 PM
Last year about this time I finally watched my copy of Atonement (that I just had to have as soon as it streeted years earlier). Can honestly say I enjoyed the second viewing on HD DVD even more than the first at the theater. A few months later I picked up a copy on Blu-ray.

I really should use it more than I do, especially since I went to the trouble of picking up a spare after they threw in the towel. As it is now, I can't imagine ever getting desperate enough to watch an HD DVD title to ever put the frustratingly clunky A1 back in the rack- but I just can't bring myself to throw it away.

a/v Junkie
05-26-12, 11:08 AM
Right now I'm watching American Me :)

chente
05-28-12, 02:17 PM
Watched Aeon Flux, Mr. Bean's Holiday last month. I still have my XA2 connected but I'm down to watching about one title a month.

Unclejosh
05-28-12, 03:19 PM
Troy in Dec of 2007 when I bought both an HD-DVD Toshiba player and the Sony PS3 on the same day. Got a bunch of free HD-DVDs and watched Troy and that's it. The unit has been sitting in my rack unused since then.

Trevor
05-28-12, 04:01 PM
Troy in Dec of 2007 when I bought both an HD-DVD Toshiba player and the Sony PS3 on the same day. Got a bunch of free HD-DVDs and watched Troy and that's it. The unit has been sitting in my rack unused since then.

I think you win this thread.

Unclejosh
05-28-12, 04:35 PM
I think you win this thread.

It was a pain because it had to connect to the internet every time and I would have to reset the settings everytime I turned it on. Since I only had 1 internet connection and hdmi input at the time plus all the other stuff the PS3 can do, the PS3 won out. Now that I have multiple inputs and ethernet connections, it just isnt worth hooking back up.

I even tried giving it to my ex to use in my son's room but it wouldnt play burned media (he is deaf and he gets a lot of school stuff on dvds made in his class to show us) which made the unit useless for even that and I ended up buying a cheapie $30 dvd player from Walmart.

Alan Smithee
05-29-12, 04:42 PM
No HD-DVD players HAVE to connect to the internet. If you try to update the firmware on a player via its internet connection, it won't even find the server now. All the Universal discs I tried that have online features have been taken off-line too. The stuff for Warner's "Blood Diamond" disc is still up though, which is funny since a large number of those discs have rotted, I went through about 5 copies before getting one that would play. You can give the disc a rating so I gave it one star just for that. There's also a poll that gives you a choice of a few movies you want to see come out on HD-DVD.

Unclejosh
05-29-12, 04:59 PM
You're right, I should have said prompted to connect. I still had to reset the date and time every single time I turned the unit on. I couldnt just put in a disc and have it go right to the menu. It was more hassle than it was worth especially when I had another HD option that was much easier and user friendly.

Alan Smithee
05-30-12, 03:15 AM
Yeah, it does make you set the date and time if you leave it unplugged for too long. Mine's always plugged in so I've just set it once and forgotten about it. Don't think any HD-DVDs actually used the clock for anything, but the Blu-Ray of Snow White says "Good Evening" or "Good Afternoon" depending on what time it is.

laserken
07-28-12, 09:33 PM
Spinning "Mutiny on the Bounty" now; just finished "Land of the Dead".

Gizmo
07-28-12, 09:44 PM
No HD-DVD players HAVE to connect to the internet. If you try to update the firmware on a player via its internet connection, it won't even find the server now. All the Universal discs I tried that have online features have been taken off-line too. The stuff for Warner's "Blood Diamond" disc is still up though, which is funny since a large number of those discs have rotted, I went through about 5 copies before getting one that would play. You can give the disc a rating so I gave it one star just for that. There's also a poll that gives you a choice of a few movies you want to see come out on HD-DVD.

What player were you using? My Blood Diamond loaded up fine on my XA2 and BH200.

True_Story1011
07-28-12, 10:09 PM
I've been stuck watching 'Hot Rod' on HD since I can't find a copy relatively cheap.

watched it 3 weeks ago. Great goof ball film.

Alan Smithee
07-30-12, 04:50 PM
Watched Meet the Parents and Meet The Fockers with my girlfriend this weekend, followed by Little Fockers on Blu-Ray. Meet The Fockers looks awful- looks like edge-enhancement. Easily the worst-looking HD-DVD I've seen so far (excluding the screen-door-vision Warner transfers).

JimRochester
07-30-12, 05:00 PM
Watched Poseidon this past weekend

shizawn
07-30-12, 06:51 PM
Not since before I moved into my current place, so at least 20 months ago. It's been packed away since.