Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Red Sun (D: Terrance Young, 1972) Bronson, Mifune, Delon, and Andress in a Western

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Red Sun (D: Terrance Young, 1972) Bronson, Mifune, Delon, and Andress in a Western

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, So I saw Red Sun today. Uh...wow. It's a hell of an international casting for sure.

The Japanese ambassador is traveling through the Wild West by train, when gangsters hold up the train, to rob a gold shipment. They also carry an ancient Japanese sword the ambassador was carrying as a present for the US president. The ambassador's bodyguard (Toshiro Mifune) will go after them, with the aid of one of the gang's leaders betrayed by his pals...
It's a Western...w/ Mifune as a samurai guard....w/ Frenchman Delon as a baddie...and Andress as well...eye candy/whore. Oh and Bronson...uhm..as...uh...Bronson in a Western.

Anyway...this was a lot of fun. Loved how Mifune and Bronson played off each other. While the story isn't as good as say Death Wish or Mr. Majestyk or a few others. It's very entertaining and it works out very well. Pretty funny but not hokey about it either. Hits the beats well

my favorite moment is when Bronson tries to escape Mifune but ends up falling down a fucking big side of hill (or whatever one would call that) and Mifune's character follows immediately like a badass down that without falling.

it's a western for sure but it's really working well w/ Mifune hitting full cylinders as a samurai. I mean...c'mon...Mifune had that shit down hardcore. Mifune's voice in this...I'm assuming isn't his, correct? Did he ever learn English. It doesn't feel gimmicky w/ the samurai included. It just gels really well in this film.

It's directed by Terence Young btw...of Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball fame. So that's cool. So this is a European film..but the credits and whatnot are in French...so....is this a French film w/ a Brit on the helm w/ an international cast?

I'm really digging seeing all these Bronson films. At the moment I'm on Breakout..and I'm really enjoying that as well.
Old 05-22-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Red Sun (D: Terrance Young, 1972) Bronson, Mifune, Delon, and Andress in a Wester

Mifune, Delon and Bronson were in the same damn movie?!?! Sounds more like someone's idea for a fantasy cast than a real one. Thats awesome.
Old 05-22-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Red Sun (D: Terrance Young, 1972) Bronson, Mifune, Delon, and Andress in a Wester

Originally Posted by Chadm
Mifune, Delon and Bronson were in the same damn movie?!?!
Bronson & Mifune get lots of love here. How about some love for Delon.
He's done some excellent work for Luchino Visconti, Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Pierre Melville, Michelangelo Antonioni, Joseph Losey and Louis Malle.
Old 05-22-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This movie was like a man movie fantasy for me when I found out about it. Each one of the main guys is my favorite actor in their respective countries. While I think the final film fell a little short of my expectations, just having all that fucking talent together on screen is remarkably awesome.
Old 05-22-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember this movie being on television occasionally when I was a kid. Despite the awesome premise of a samurai teaming up with a cowboy, I could never get into the film. I had a hard time with Bronson's harsh treatment of Mifune, and my total misreading of the ending ruined the whole thing for me. As an adult, however, the casting was too cool to pass up and I imported the R3 DVD a few years back. I'm really glad I gave the movie another chance, as I enjoyed it much more this time around.

Although Delon's character is so cool I really wished he was one of the good guys. And while I'm wishing, it's too bad Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jimmy Wang Yu weren't in this as well!
Old 05-22-12, 05:15 PM
Banned

Watching the film it made me wonder...if Bronson fought Mifune..who would win? My gut tells me Bronson cuz well he was actually a pretty fit guy and could kick a lot of ass. Mifune though...he was kind of wild too.

Anyway...I enjoyed the hell out of it.

also..noticing it so far w/ my Bronsonathon...the 1970s was Bronson's decade for sure.
Old 05-22-12, 05:23 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I remember seeing a poster for this at the Gene Autry Museum. I could never remember the title, just the outrageous cast.

So it's not in R1 I take it?
Old 05-22-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I remember seeing a poster for this at the Gene Autry Museum. I could never remember the title, just the outrageous cast.

So it's not in R1 I take it?
There's a couple of OOP full screen releases. The Optimum R2 DVD is supposed to be widescreen, as is the Hong Kong R0 DVD.
Old 05-23-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I love the line that Bronson says to Andress about cooking its something like this.

"If you cook you eat, if I cook you get whipped and go to bed hungry."
Old 05-23-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Alright, So I saw Red Sun today. Uh...wow. It's a hell of an international casting for sure.

It's a Western...w/ Mifune as a samurai guard....w/ Frenchman Delon as a baddie...and Andress as well...eye candy/whore. Oh and Bronson...uhm..as...uh...Bronson in a Western.

Anyway...this was a lot of fun. Loved how Mifune and Bronson played off each other. While the story isn't as good as say Death Wish or Mr. Majestyk or a few others. It's very entertaining and it works out very well. Pretty funny but not hokey about it either. Hits the beats well

my favorite moment is when Bronson tries to escape Mifune but ends up falling down a fucking big side of hill (or whatever one would call that) and Mifune's character follows immediately like a badass down that without falling.

it's a western for sure but it's really working well w/ Mifune hitting full cylinders as a samurai. I mean...c'mon...Mifune had that shit down hardcore. Mifune's voice in this...I'm assuming isn't his, correct? Did he ever learn English. It doesn't feel gimmicky w/ the samurai included. It just gels really well in this film.

It's directed by Terence Young btw...of Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball fame. So that's cool. So this is a European film..but the credits and whatnot are in French...so....is this a French film w/ a Brit on the helm w/ an international cast?

I'm really digging seeing all these Bronson films. At the moment I'm on Breakout..and I'm really enjoying that as well.
IMDB lists this film as a co-production of France, Italy and Spain.

I was quite sure when I saw the U.S. release version (back in 1972) that Mifune's own voice was used.

The Bronx neighborhood theater audience I saw it with really dug Mifune.

As I pointed out in another Bronson thread here, this is the only movie in which a member of the original Seven Samurai (Mifune) and a member of the original Magnificent Seven (Bronson) appeared together onscreen.

And Delon had starred in a film called LE SAMOURAI.
Old 05-23-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bronson and Delon did a heist flick called Honor Among Thieves which is worth checking out.

Old 05-23-12, 11:08 AM
Banned

oooh, I have now added HAT among the list.
Old 05-23-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
Bronson and Delon did a heist flick called Honor Among Thieves which is worth checking out.

'Farewell Friend' is the actual title, it's a French movie.
Old 05-23-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting read
http://www.notcoming.com/reviews/farewellfriend/
Old 05-23-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
'Farewell Friend' is the actual title, it's a French movie.
I was aware of this. It's just that if Snake was wanting to find this movie here in Amurrica, he'd have a better chance of searching for it under it's blander, American title.
Old 05-23-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
There's a couple of OOP full screen releases. The Optimum R2 DVD is supposed to be widescreen, as is the Hong Kong R0 DVD.
TCM shows this widescreen. U.S. version. Although not 16x9, the dvd I made off TCM is the highest quality I've seen. Haven't seen the other region DVDs.
Old 05-23-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
That is great thanks, I will be watching it again this weekend. That article got me all fired up to watch it again.
Old 05-23-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

What the fuck? I've gotta see all of these. I've heard of Red Sun due to looking at Mifune's filmography from time to time, never caught it though.
Old 05-24-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched Honor Among Thieves/Farewell Friend recently (pretty good looking DVD available) - loved it, but, then again, I love almost anything Bronson and Delon do. They sure beat the hell out of each other throughout, although in real life Bronson would have laid Delon out without spilling his drink.