DVD Talk
What ever happened to the Fugitive complete series box set??? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Fugitive complete series box set???

smurr05
05-22-12, 03:07 PM
Anyone know if this was ever released or why it was discontinued??? I searched but could not find any answers-

bsmith
05-23-12, 03:22 AM
Well, it was released for a very short time.

Amazon apparently distributed several copies early and then for some reason CBS pulled the plug. Then a week or so later Walmart shipped out what they had on hand. No one else shipped any. There was no official word from CBS why it was pulled (or a very vague one), or when it might be released again. Of those that received their copies, no one has yet found fault in the set and publically voiced any issues that I am aware of. In fact, the new complete set was reported to be almost perfect from a music substitution stand point (just some various jukebox music replaced).

The most likely cause for pulling it back was some sort of music rights issue that was not caught in time. The assumption is that it would eventually be fixed and released again, but so far no word on when that might be.

Neil M.
05-23-12, 05:41 AM
I think Tvshowsondvd had a statement from CBS saying that there were technical issues with some discs and that they didn't want to do a disc replacement program.

Regulus
05-23-12, 07:10 AM
Well, it was released for a very short time.

Amazon apparently distributed several copies early and then for some reason CBS pulled the plug. Then a week or so later Walmart shipped out what they had on hand. No one else shipped any. There was no official word from CBS why it was pulled (or a very vague one), or when it might be released again. Of those that received their copies, no one has yet found fault in the set and publically voiced any issues that I am aware of. In fact, the new complete set was reported to be almost perfect from a music substitution stand point (just some various jukebox music replaced).

The most likely cause for pulling it back was some sort of music rights issue that was not caught in time. The assumption is that it would eventually be fixed and released again, but so far no word on when that might be.

I bought a Bootleg! :D

bsmith
05-23-12, 08:15 AM
I think Tvshowsondvd had a statement from CBS saying that there were technical issues with some discs and that they didn't want to do a disc replacement program.

Yes, that was stated. But so far no one that received it and has begun watching it has reported anything about disk issues on the forums. You would think if that was the reason and they attempted to pull it just before release date that the issue would have to have been obvious and easy to detect.

Also, you could suspect that would be the best way to try to disuade people from trying to get or keep the copies that made its way out. In addition, if it was just a disk issue why haven't they tried to just fix it and get it back out there. That is why most on the forums seem to think it has more to do with some type of rights issue that still needs to be cleared.

But with CBS it is ultimately hard to know for sure since they refuse to say anymore about it.

bsmith
05-23-12, 08:18 AM
I bought a Bootleg! :D

No bootleg needed for me since I was lucky enough to get one of the sets that Walmart distributed. So i'm set going forward no matter what.

smurr05
05-24-12, 09:03 AM
Thanks again folks for the insightful info. Would still like to own this if it is ever re-released!

bsmith
05-24-12, 11:02 AM
CBS put a lot of work into this, so you would think it would get released again some day. If it is a licensing issue, it just depends on how much it costs and when it finally gets resolved. The good part of this being a studio is that they have the money to pay licensing fee's easier then an independent. The bad is that they could just as easily walk away from it and call it a loss.

flixtime
09-20-12, 08:25 AM
BUMP

This looks like it will be coming out on October 23rd.