Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Has Gene Hackman ever given a bad performance?

Boba Fett
05-19-12, 03:07 AM
I have a theory, that although there are bad, even awful movies featuring Gene Hackman, there are no movies featuring a bad or awful Gene Hackman performance.

Even his two most suspect films "Superman IV" and "Heartbreakers" are still roles where he never phoned it in and in the latter, is the only memorable part of the movie.

TheMovieman
05-19-12, 08:55 AM
Even his two most suspect films "Superman IV" and "Heartbreakers" are still roles where he never phoned it in and in the latter, is the only memorable part of the movie.

I'll have to disagree with that...

http://i.imgur.com/LEnom.jpg

As for the question at hand, I can't recall a bad performance, although I haven't seen Welcome to Mooseport...

K&AJones
05-19-12, 09:24 AM
Hackman is one of my all-time favorite actors. I put him in the same league as DeNiro who can play a villan as well as a good guy and make the character beliveable.

Jules Winfield
05-19-12, 09:39 AM
I think you might be right. I can't think of a bad Gene Hackman performance. Was "Welcome to Mooseport" a bad performance? I never saw it but since it's his last acting performance, it would be kinda funny if he wasn't good in it.

islandclaws
05-19-12, 10:13 AM
The fact that any movie starring Gene Hackman can be worth watching solely to see him act should answer that question.

I still can't fucking believe he went out on Mooseport, though.

Solid Snake
05-19-12, 10:20 AM
The fact that any movie starring Gene Hackman can be worth watching solely to see him act should answer that question.

I still can't fucking believe he went out on Mooseport, though.

Kind of like Robert Duvall.

JumpCutz
05-19-12, 10:29 AM
I can't think of a bad performance by him....but one thing I know is he was never a movie star!! :mad2:

Dr Mabuse
05-19-12, 11:33 AM
I saw him as a bomber bent on revenge in the old Cosby and Culp 'I Spy' TV series episode 'Happy Birthday to Everybody' the other night, he was magnetic even in that. He made it into film just after that and the rest is history.

RocShemp
05-19-12, 11:45 AM
I can't think of a bad performance by him....but one thing I know is he was never a movie star!! :mad2:

His above the title credits in Superman and Superman II would like to have a word with you.

TomOpus
05-19-12, 01:56 PM
He's so good he even gave a good performance when he showed up on "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives."

hasslein
05-19-12, 02:00 PM
He is my favorite actor, but I remember either a Siskel & Ebert review, or Lyons & Gabler review of Target, which I haven't seen in a while, they were tearing the film apart, they showed a clip of a dinner table scene between him & Matt Dillon as an example, and it was really bad...

Boba Fett
05-19-12, 03:24 PM
He made "Mooseport" tolerable.

JumpCutz
05-19-12, 03:53 PM
His above the title credits in Superman and Superman II would like to have a word with you.

What about this guy? His name is featured pretty prominently here...but still not a movie star? -wink-

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/252304_4rWqYQyJ3PqRflLRL1xkGwQrZ.jpg

RocShemp
05-19-12, 03:57 PM
Nope. Just a geek star. ;)

Shannon Nutt
05-19-12, 04:57 PM
Yes, he was AWFUL in this:

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/47331.1020.A.jpg

Charlie Goose
05-21-12, 11:29 AM
Yes, he was AWFUL in this:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjEyMjkxMDU2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEzMDAwMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Yes, Loose Cannons is the only movie I thought of with a terrible Hackman performance.

Mabuse
05-21-12, 12:58 PM
I nominate A Bridge Too Far, a film full of bad performances including some terrible shit from Robert Redford and Elliot Gould. Hackman's role as a Polish paratropper fighting with the allies is a good character, but he does a rediculous accent, barks all of his lines, and has almost no funciton in the story.

Mostly he is great, even in many bad films, but looking at his filmography he's made a ton films I haven't seen that sure sound like shit: Lucky Lady from 1975 directed by Stanley Donen sure sounds like a forgoten piece of shit. I'm sure there are several bad performances by him out there but the films are long forgoten.

Has anyone seen Full Moon in Blue Water? I've never seen it but I remember the trailers were dreadful and it has a reputation as being a complete disaster. Is Hackman actually good in it?

hasslein
05-24-12, 12:14 PM
I love Full Moon in Blue Water. It feels more like a play than a film, but it is a sweet, fun movie, if you tell yourself that is all it is supposed to be. Great cast, I never understood the panning of the film.

Lucky Lady is a mess, but also somewhat enjoyable.

modfather
05-24-12, 05:42 PM
He was absolutely great in The Birdcage, if you're interested in a lesser-known, fairly recent movie. :)

gmanca
05-25-12, 04:00 AM
The late 80's/early 90's were not kind to Hackman.

JesseCuster
05-25-12, 08:54 AM
I would nominate Marooned, a 1969 chestnut starring Gregory Peck. It's about a 3 man astronaut mission that get's stuck in space. Hackman plays the emotionally weak, headed to a nervous breakdown space voyager. It's got a really solid cast, including three future or then Oscar winners (Peck, Hackman and Lee Grant) but it's really a bit goofy and not as profound as it should have been. Hackman's cuckoo-cuckoo scene is over the top and the main reason I include it here. But I think it's more wrong-headed than Hackman forgetting how to act or phoning it in. The script and director usually play a part in situations like that.

Aside from literally a number of performances that you can count on one hand, Hackman has been an actor's actor throughout his career.

will travel
02-27-14, 01:35 AM
Hackman has a new novel coming out.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/the-big-questions-for-actor-turned-novelist-gene-hackman-001314382.html

creekdipper
02-27-14, 02:22 AM
I would nominate Marooned, a 1969 chestnut starring Gregory Peck. It's about a 3 man astronaut mission that get's stuck in space. Hackman plays the emotionally weak, headed to a nervous breakdown space voyager. It's got a really solid cast, including three future or then Oscar winners (Peck, Hackman and Lee Grant) but it's really a bit goofy and not as profound as it should have been. Hackman's cuckoo-cuckoo scene is over the top and the main reason I include it here. But I think it's more wrong-headed than Hackman forgetting how to act or phoning it in. The script and director usually play a part in situations like that.

'funny...I thought Hackman's performance was one of the best in the film. The other performances were good (especially Crenna) but more of the stiff-upper-lip variety. I thought Hackman's character was someone to whom the audience could relate if they were in a similar situation rather than the cool, professional approach that might be more expected. :shrug: Different strokes.

james2025a
02-27-14, 06:53 AM
I thought his performance in Behind Enemy Lines was totally phoned in. Just felt like he was going through the motions.

Tarantino
02-27-14, 06:54 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Shannon Nutt
02-27-14, 07:58 AM
I keep hoping Clint Eastwood will lure him out of retirement for one last hurrah. Apparently, he left the business not because he was tired of acting, but because he was tired of having to 'compromise' characters for the sake of the movie/director/studio.

Sounds very much like writing is now his way of being a storyteller without having to make those compromises.

uberjoe
02-27-14, 09:46 AM
The Replacements - Hackman was just completely uninterested in this role. His "inspiring" half-time speech during the final game was pathetic.

The Valeyard
02-27-14, 11:41 AM
From a Yahoo interview regarding his latest novel:

The final inevitable question: Can we hold on any hope of seeing you on the screen again?
Only in reruns.

That's it?
Yeah, that's it. I'm at a place where I feel very good about not having to work all night.

:(

grundle
02-27-14, 10:27 PM
His performance in "The Conversation" was just horrible.

He let the guy give him a pen that was bugged.

He let the hooker steal his tapes.

He was unable to keep his landlady from entering his apartment.

He was unable to keep his home telephone number a secret.

He was unable to find the bug in his apartment.

That's about as bad a performance as anyone in his profession could possibly give.

duff beer
02-28-14, 12:29 AM
Love this dude, the everyday dude who is awesome.

DJariya
02-28-14, 12:33 AM
Although I'd like to see him in one more movie, but Hackman's had a very long and illustrious career. He's 84 years old now. I think he's entitled to live the rest of his life in peace and quiet away from the industry in retirement. He certainly doesn't need to work anymore.

duff beer
02-28-14, 12:37 AM
Also he has that same 'lowly plebe' excellence of Ford, but Ford has two franchises besides his other crap, Hackman has only the Supermans (which aren't on par with Ford's 2 franchises let's be honest) … BUT… to compensate for this the rest of his filmography… he truly gave solid work all. the. time.
His other rival would be Eastwood who also has his dual franchise (dollars/harry); so Hackman being of similar mold to them relies on his chops over the glimmer of franchises, to this he is beautiful!!!

mostaccioli
02-28-14, 04:22 PM
Yes, Loose Cannons is the only movie I thought of with a terrible Hackman performance.

bad movie yes but hackman played his performance just like any of his bad movies. maybe the movie "all night long" had a bad performance of mr. hackman. maybe.

Numanoid
02-28-14, 04:33 PM
His performance in "The Conversation" was just horrible.

He let the guy give him a pen that was bugged.

He let the hooker steal his tapes.

He was unable to keep his landlady from entering his apartment.

He was unable to keep his home telephone number a secret.

He was unable to find the bug in his apartment.

That's about as bad a performance as anyone in his profession could possibly give.Please leave the comedy to the professionals. Or funny amateurs. Or unfunny amateurs. Or even Groucho.

Brack
02-28-14, 04:46 PM
Please leave the comedy to the professionals. Or funny amateurs. Or unfunny amateurs. Or even Groucho.

:thumbsup:

jdslater1
03-01-14, 04:26 AM
Always remember seeing a picutre of him and Richard Harris talking on the set of Unforgiven.

I've often thought about what they discussing.
Hopefully its about a new washing machine they bought or something.

PenguinJoe
03-01-14, 11:59 AM
Behind Enemy Lines, I can't believe Owen Wilson was trying to be an action hero.

Why So Blu?
03-01-14, 12:11 PM
Behind Enemy Lines, I can't believe Owen Wilson was trying to be an action hero.

That movie had some great visuals. The dogfight in the beginning when they're trying to outdodge the missile is epic and sounds great on Blu-ray.