Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is Daniel Day-Lewis a movie star or not?

inri222
05-18-12, 04:45 PM
As I said before, he was billed under Leonardo DiCaprio in Gangs of New York. As great of an actor that he is he is not a star.

Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio = star.

WeylandYutani
05-18-12, 04:48 PM
He is in my book.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 04:55 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is a movie star. He's certainly not an accountant.

What other career occupation would you designate?

You don't have to be mega-box office superstar to considered a movie star. I think he's had a successful enough career, what with his two Best Actor Oscars, leading man roles in big budget A-List films and worldwide acclaim to fit into that category. :shrug:

RocShemp
05-18-12, 04:59 PM
He's my favourite actor and well respected by his peers but certainly not a star. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Cruise are stars. It doesn't mean they have more talent than Daniel Day Lewis (quite the reverse) but they would have an easier time filling a movie theater than Daniel Day Lewis.

brainee
05-18-12, 05:00 PM
As I said before, he was billed under Leonardo DiCaprio in Gangs of New York. As great of an actor that he is he is not a star.

If you have to be on that level, then hardly anyone is a star. Outside of Gangs, DDL has top billing for all his movies since the late 80s. He's won major awards and is famous enough that even casual filmgoers know who he is. He's an actor that film productions are built around. That's a star in my book.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 05:05 PM
He's my favourite actor and well respected by his peers but certainly not a star. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Cruise are stars. It doesn't mean they have more talent than Daniel Day Lewis (quite the reverse) but they would have an easier time filling a movie theater than Daniel Day Lewis.

So unless you can fill a movie theater on your name alone....you're not a star?

If you asked any director that has worked with DDL if he was a star, would any of them say no?

Dr Mabuse
05-18-12, 05:13 PM
I would say he is a true thespian, an actor's actor.

He's not a 'movie star', thank goodness, we have more of those than we need.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 05:19 PM
So unless you can fill a movie theater on your name alone....you're not a star?

The sad reality is that the answer to your question is yes.

This is how I feel about him.

Shannon Nutt
05-18-12, 05:23 PM
You win an Oscar, you're a star. Yes, even if your name is Marissa Tomei or Cuba Gooding, Jr.

islandclaws
05-18-12, 05:28 PM

The good doctor has summed my feelings up nicely.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 05:38 PM

I believe you can be a true thespian, an actor's actor... and a star.

There are plenty of examples.

Nicholson, DeNiro, Hoffman, Kinski, Pacino, Mifune, Hackman, Norton, Crowe, etc

Jules Winfield
05-18-12, 05:41 PM
If we're talking movie star like DiCaprio, Cruise, Depp, etc, then no. I don't think the average joe quite gets their panties wet when Daniel Day Lewis stars in a movie like for the former guys. But Daniel Day Lewis gets guys like us who like movies dripping wet when his name is on a movie. So, he's a movie geek's movie star.

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 07:44 PM
Fassbender!

RocShemp
05-18-12, 07:50 PM
he's a movie geek's movie star.

That's the only way I'd see him being defined as a star. :up:

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 08:00 PM
Google searches:

Daniel Day Lewis movie star..... 9,400,000 results
Daniel Day Lewis star..............20,020,000 results
Daniel Day Lewis movie actor.... 5,010,000 results
Daniel Day Lewis actor...............3,070,000 results

He's a star. Case closed. -wink-

FRwL
05-18-12, 09:36 PM
TWBB made him a star, if before that he was not one he now rose to that stature.

riotinmyskull
05-18-12, 09:41 PM
i'll bet 9 out of 10 joe six packs couldn't tell you who this guy was:

http://i48.tinypic.com/9b9ili.jpg

TomOpus
05-18-12, 09:43 PM

http://i48.tinypic.com/9b9ili.jpgI love James Taylor!

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 09:51 PM

Yeah but if you asked ten actual movie goers...I'd bet the numbers would be quite a bit higher.

GoldenJCJ
05-18-12, 09:58 PM
If you have to be on that level, then hardly anyone is a star. Outside of Gangs, DDL has top billing for all his movies since the late 80s. He's won major awards and is famous enough that even casual filmgoers know who he is. He's an actor that film productions are built around. That's a star in my book.
As much as I'd like to believe that I'm not sure it's true.

As a small test I just asked my girlfriend if she knew who he was. Her answer was that she vaguely knew the name but couldn't place him or name any movies he's been in. :(

bluetoast
05-18-12, 10:15 PM

The way he transforms himself for each role, 9 out of 10 actual Hollywood actors probably couldn't tell you who he was.

Defiant1
05-18-12, 11:07 PM

Tom Hanks was billed second to DiCaprio in Catch Me If You Can. Is he not a star either?

I'm sure Tom, Daniel and their combined 4 Oscars commiserate together over their low ranking on the celebrity totem pole.

PopcornTreeCt
05-18-12, 11:18 PM
You win an Oscar, you're a star. Yes, even if your name is Marissa Tomei or Cuba Gooding, Jr.

Marisa Tomei is a movie star though. I think a better example would be naming people like Melissa Leo, Brenda Fricker, Octavia Spencer or Jean Dujardin.

PenguinJoe
05-18-12, 11:33 PM
He's more of an actual actor than a movie star, like Sean Penn or Forrest Whitaker. I mean he's been involved in some great stuff but I don't think he chooses his roles based on how many toys and video games the movie will sell like a Will Smith, Tom Cruise, or Robert Downey, Jr.

PopcornTreeCt
05-18-12, 11:40 PM
He's more of an actual actor than a movie star, like Sean Penn or Forrest Whitaker. I mean he's been involved in some great stuff but I don't think he chooses his roles based on how many toys and video games the movie will sell like a Will Smith, Tom Cruise, or Robert Downey, Jr.

Fact: Tom Cruise has never licensed his likeness for a toy.

(Yes, I'm kinda nerdy)

RocShemp
05-18-12, 11:45 PM
Fact: Tom Cruise has never licensed his likeness for a toy.

(Yes, I'm kinda nerdy)

Oh really?

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/janztikg/collateral2.jpg?t=1293628790
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn194/One_Sixth_Utopia/Feng%20Studio/P10101.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9595/valkyrie3.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/212/valkyrie1.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/526/valkyrie2.jpg

No. Not really. But those figures are still pretty badass. :p

More pics from Feng's Studio (http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn194/One_Sixth_Utopia/Feng%20Studio/?start=all/).

The Bus
05-18-12, 11:55 PM
DDL is not a movie star, and it's something I am pretty sure he is proud of.

He <i>is</i> however, one of the best actors. That sentence is not missing a clause or specification.

brainee
05-19-12, 12:00 AM
As much as I'd like to believe that I'm not sure it's true.

As a small test I just asked my girlfriend if she knew who he was. Her answer was that she vaguely knew the name but couldn't place him or name any movies he's been in. :(

I hope you have a viewing of "There Will Be Blood" lined up for her!

DDL is starring in the next Steven Spielberg movie this holiday season ... maybe that will help his case for "stardom".

I guess one thing that limits DDL is a thing I admire in him ... his extreme selectivity in his movie roles. He's probably had opportunities for more mainstream movies.

MoviePage
05-19-12, 03:09 AM

Roberto Benigni and Mercedes Ruehl will be thrilled to hear this.

JesseCuster
05-19-12, 06:51 AM
Lewis isn't a movie star only because he has no desire to be. He can make a money grab and star in three blockbusters a summer anytime he wants to. And yes, I think they would be successful cause he can basically play anything. The one time he strayed into big movie territory was Last of the Mohicans and it was probably the highest he ever climbed on the movie star totem pole. I also think all the non artistic attention scared the shit out of him, hence his not really doing anything like it since.

Numanoid
05-19-12, 09:46 AM
Unless your love life is dissected in People or Us magazine, you're not a "star".

Numanoid
05-19-12, 09:46 AM
He <i>is</i> however, one of the best actors. That sentence is not missing a clause or specification.It is missing a comma, though. ;)

Ash Ketchum
05-19-12, 09:56 AM
So, let me get this straight: Channing Tatum is a movie star, but Daniel Day-Lewis isn't?

GoldenJCJ
05-19-12, 11:33 AM
Until I see DDL in Battleship 2 he'll just be a struggling actor to me.

RocShemp
05-19-12, 11:47 AM
So, let me get this straight: Channing Tatum is a movie star, but Daniel Day-Lewis isn't?

Yes. Just like DDL is one of the greatest actors of all time and CT isn't.

rexinnih
05-19-12, 12:44 PM

It's Enrico Pallazzo!

And I voted yes as a star.

Boba Fett
05-19-12, 01:51 PM
I've always considered him not a star because he treats acting like a job; you never see him promoting movies or giving interviews. His personal life is largely a mystery.

JumpCutz
05-19-12, 03:42 PM
I've always considered him not a star because he treats acting like a job; you never see him promoting movies or giving interviews. His personal life is largely a mystery.

Huh?

Granted he's very private and chooses his roles carefully.

Aside from attending the Academy Awards, BAFTA, Golden Globes and numerous other award ceremonies several times, he's promoted, given interviews, attended the premiers of :

A Room With A View
My Left Foot
Last of The Mohicans
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Age of Innocence
The Boxer
In the Name of the Father
Gangs of New York
There Will be Blood
Nine

Boba Fett
05-19-12, 08:34 PM
Huh?

Granted he's very private and chooses his roles carefully.

Aside from attending the Academy Awards, BAFTA, Golden Globes and numerous other award ceremonies several times, he's promoted, given interviews, attended the premiers of :

A Room With A View
My Left Foot
Last of The Mohicans
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Age of Innocence
The Boxer
In the Name of the Father
Gangs of New York
There Will be Blood
Nine

I should have been more clear in what I meant, he doesn't go on the huge talk show circuit.

JumpCutz
05-19-12, 08:46 PM
I should have been more clear in what I meant, he doesn't go on the huge talk show circuit.

Got it. :thumbsup:

Boba Fett
05-20-12, 12:17 AM
Yeah, he's a model example for other actors in how to conduct oneself when interviewed: he's humble and often uses the spotlight to highlight the work of others around him.

PenguinJoe
05-20-12, 12:25 AM
whats this weird nazi eyepatch villian Tom Cruise played in a movie? I'm gonna google it.

Charlie Goose
05-20-12, 12:29 AM
whats this weird nazi eyepatch villian Tom Cruise played in a movie? I'm gonna google it.

Cocktail

Boba Fett
05-20-12, 12:48 AM

"Valkyrie"

He played Col. Claus von Stauffenberg who led a plot to kill Hitler and his inner circle.

Supermallet
05-20-12, 01:34 AM
Cocktail

:lol:

I've never heard of this "Daniel Day Lewis" person. I may have to look him up.

Charlie Goose
05-21-12, 11:32 AM
Any relation to Jerry Lewis? Now THAT'S a movie star!

d2cheer
05-21-12, 12:02 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is a movie star. He's certainly not an accountant.

What other career occupation would you designate?

You don't have to be mega-box office superstar to considered a movie star. I think he's had a successful enough career, what with his two Best Actor Oscars, leading man roles in big budget A-List films and worldwide acclaim to fit into that category. :shrug:

I am not going to read any further posts after this one because this is the correct answer...

Mabuse
05-21-12, 12:45 PM
http://www.emanuellevy.com/interview/daniel-day-lewis-reluctant-movie-star-9/
A meticulous actor dedicated to his craft, the humble yet confident Day-Lewis has gone out of his way not to become a movie star in the big, Hollywood way. Do a google search. Every bio and interview describes him as the antithesis of a star: Introverted, private, selective, difficult, shunning the spotlight, working infrequently, etc.

When I think "Movie Star" I think of red carpets and guaranteed opening weekends and that sort of thing.