DVD Talk
Weekend Box Office (5/18 - 5/20): Universal Screams, "You've Sunk My Battleship!" [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Weekend Box Office (5/18 - 5/20): Universal Screams, "You've Sunk My Battleship!"

Pages : [1] 2

Matthew Chmiel
05-18-12, 12:14 PM
Taylor Kitsch, your film career is bad and you should feel bad.

Universal’s Battleship is “certain to be soft” according to my studio sources after it opened with only $420K midnights from 1,074 theaters. That’s weaker than Warner Bros’ underperforming Dark Shadows last weekend and even Disney’s notorious 2012 bomb John Carter. Universal cautions that “both of those films have a bigger ‘geek base’” whereas the strength of Peter Berg’s military vs aliens actioner is “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. What does that mean? That the studio is hoping it does well in flyover country. The patriotic pic already has made $220M internationally, thus mitigating its $209+ budget and advance bad buzz in North America where Marvel’s mega-juggernaut The Avengers from Disney is still sucking all the air out of the box office. Meanwhile, Paramount’s The Dictator from Sacha Baron Cohen continues not to rule box office: It made only $2.8M Thursday after opening weak on Wednesday for a 2-day total of $7M. Now Baron Cohen’s Middle East spoof may not even be the #1 comedy in the marketplace this weekend: the latest news is that Lionsgate says it’s What To Expect When You’re Expecting romantic comedy which wasn’t tracking suddenly ticked up Thursday. “We got a nice bump which could put us ahead of The Dictator for the three-day weekend and hopefully put our weekend into the high teens,” an exec tells me. ”Our P&A spend and production costs are even less than The Dictator – and our cast made it to the Oscars without offending AMPAS. Ha.”

Marvel’s The Avengers on Thursday set a new domestic speed record, reaching the $400M box office threshold in 14 days. Worldwide, it has passed Toy Story 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest to become the #6 highest-grossing film of all time and the highest grossing Disney release ever. Internationally it is the #9 highest-grossing film of all time. So The Avengers’ cumulative performance to date consists of international box office $668.7M and domestic $402M for a global total of $1,070.7M. Additional highlights to date include: fastest film to reach $350M (10 days), $300M (9 days), $250M (8 days), $200M (5 days), $150M (3 days) and $100M (2 days) at domestic box office; Disney’s fifth release to cross the billion dollar global box office threshold; biggest domestic opening of all time ($207.4M); biggest domestic second weekend of all time ($103M); highest-grossing domestic film of 2012, passing The Hunger Games in just 12 days of release; the 12th highest grossing domestic release of all-time; highest domestic Saturday tally ($69.5M); highest domestic Sunday tally ($57M); second-highest domestic single-day tally ($80.8M).

Universal, only geeks go to midnight showings? Universal, you're fucked.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:27 PM
if this was named anything other than the tie-in to the Battleship game, people would be gushing over seeing it. it really doesn't look that bad at all.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 12:32 PM
if this was named anything other than the tie-in to the Battleship game, people would be gushing over seeing it. it really doesn't look that bad at all.

You've got to be fucking kidding.

riotinmyskull
05-18-12, 12:33 PM

yes it does. it really does.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 12:39 PM
Battleship looks like Peter Berg was auditioning to direct Transformers 4 had Michael Bay opted not to return.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:39 PM
You've got to be fucking kidding.

It's a summer popcorn flick. Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious. That's what most people want for their summertime fare. That's what I want. I don't need every movie to be some cerebral affair. Sometimes it's nice to just escape the daily grind for a couple of hours and watch something like this.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 12:40 PM
I don't need every movie to be some cerebral affair. Sometimes it's nice to just escape the daily grind for a couple of hours and watch something like this.

There's a big difference between 'a cerebral affair' and a movie that is made for stupid people.

Nothing makes this more clear than Universal's braindead press team saying that it's “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. It was made for idiots. It's as simple as that. Even the studio admits it.

You wanna see a good summer blockbuster? Go see "The Avengers". See it again if you haven't seen it already.

But Battleship? You may as well be drooling when you watch it.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 12:40 PM
It's a summer popcorn flick. Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious. That's what most people want for their summertime fare. That's what I want. I don't need every movie to be some cerebral affair. Sometimes it's nice to just escape the daily grind for a couple of hours and watch something like this.

I totally get that and I could get behind such a movie just to have fun. But the ads for this scream "trying way too hard". And having Neeson as nothing but a bit player certainly doesn't help either.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:44 PM
There's a big difference between 'a cerebral affair' and a movie that is made for stupid people.

Nothing makes this more clear than Universal's braindead press team saying that it's “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. It was made for idiots. It's as simple as that. Even the studio admits it.

Wow, elitist much? It would be nice if you kept your opinions to yourself until you've actually seen the movie. Because giving a blanket statement like that based purely on the trailer comes across as ignorant hogwash.

fumanstan
05-18-12, 12:44 PM
Well its 36% on Rotten Tomatoes...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battleship/

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 12:45 PM
Wow, elitist much? It would be nice if you kept your opinions to yourself until you've actually seen the movie. Because giving a blanket statement like that based purely on the trailer comes across as ignorant hogwash.

Yeah, I'm elitist because I know what shit looks like. You must be fucking kidding me.

A movie starring an A-list actress like Rihanna as a badass soldier might be better than "The Avengers". Hell, it might be an Oscar winner. You're totally right. Let's keep an open mind despite all the reviews that've already been published.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:46 PM
I totally get that and I could get behind such a movie just to have fun. But the ads for this scream "trying way too hard". And having Neeson as nothing but a bit player certainly doesn't help either.

I haven't seen the flick, but I'm fine with Neeson's limited involvement if it is done right. Hell, there have been some amazing characters/performances over the years who have only had a small amount of screen time. With that said, will I see it in the theatre? No, probably not. Will I see it eventually? You bet.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I'm elitist because I know what shit looks like. You must be fucking kidding me.

come down off your high horse, or at the very least stay out of threads about movies YOU deem beneath you, troll.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 12:48 PM
come down off your high horse, or at the very least stay out of threads about movies YOU deem beneath you, troll.

Why don't you try for a legitimate argument besides "Hey guys, just turn off your brain and enjoy it."?

What kind of movie is "too stupid" for you, then? How far can Hollywood insult your intelligence before you actually start having an opinion?

I'm really wondering what the lower limit is for people like you. Can they make a movie based on a ketchup packet and, hey, as long as it looks good, you'll go see it?

d2cheer
05-18-12, 12:50 PM

Pocketing millions for an ensemble picture that will have no impact on his career; fucking Hollywood starlets and he should feel bad? :lol:

Please at least try a little harder...

Matthew Chmiel
05-18-12, 12:52 PM
The problem is The Avengers has laid waste to any film that opens within weeks of its trajectory because it has set an extremely high bar of how summer entertainment should be. Good for audiences, terrible for the studios.

Dark Shadows was tracking to have an opening weekend of $40 - 50 million and ended up at $29 million based upon awful reviews and The Avengers dominating the box office.

Battleship was tracking to have an opening weekend of $40 - 50 million as well, but some are now adjusting their tracking to have it open at $27 - 30 million. While I don't think it'll be that low as it'll pickup audience members this weekend with children out of school, Universal didn't think The Avengers would still be kicking ass and taking names its third week in.

The Avengers is tracking with another 50% drop this weekend putting its third weekend at number one with $51-52 million. While it won't beat Avatar's third weekend record at $69 million, it'll sit comfortably at #2 for a while. With next weekend including Memorial Day, I see that drop being less steep in its fourth weekend in.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:53 PM
Why don't you try for a legitimate argument besides "Hey guys, just turn off your brain and enjoy it."?

because I don't NEED another argument other than that. Generally going to the movies is about escapism. Especially big splashy summer "blockbusters". What is your take on ID4? Shit? If yes, then you've proven your just a snob, if you say it was decent then you prove you're a hypocrite, as "Battleship" looks just as good (or bad) as ID4.

islandclaws
05-18-12, 12:54 PM

I think it looks like shit, but I'm inclined to agree that it might be tracking better without the tie-in.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 12:56 PM
because I don't NEED another argument other than that. Generally going to the movies is about escapism. Especially big splashy summer "blockbusters". What is your take on ID4? Shit? If yes, then you've proven your just a snob, if you say it was decent then you prove you're a hypocrite, as "Battleship" looks just as good (or bad) as ID4.

ID4 was a decent summer blockbuster, but I saw that when I was 10. Are you 10?

I'm going to guess your answer is "Yes" to that ketchup packet question.

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 12:56 PM
Yeah...I too think that it would doing better without the name.

TGM
05-18-12, 12:59 PM
I'm really wondering what the lower limit is for people like you. Can they make a movie based on a ketchup packet and, hey, as long as it looks good, you'll go see it?

"People like you"... ROFL, yeah, you're not an elitist snob at allllllllllll.

TGM
05-18-12, 01:01 PM

and now you're in your mid 20's and know eeeeeverything. That explains quite a bit actually.

Burgundy LaRue
05-18-12, 01:01 PM

What kind of movie is "too stupid" for you, then? How far can Hollywood insult your intelligence before you actually start having an opinion?

http://www.5starhiphop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/comment-friday-damn.jpg

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 01:02 PM
"People like you"... ROFL, yeah, you're not an elitist snob at allllllllllll.

If not thinking this movie looks good whatsoever makes me a snob, then whatever, guess I'm a snob, dude. You can stop peppering every one of your remarks with that term now.

Apparently you'll watch any movie that's "Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious.". I'd rather be a fucking snob, then.

Good on you if Hollywood can basically spit in your face and take your money.

TGM
05-18-12, 01:07 PM
LOL, I just don't get so bent out of shape about it like you evidently do. Apparently your father was killed by Roland Emmerich and mother raped by Michael Bay. If truly the case then I understand your venom.

More people will see Battleship then your favorite movie of all time. Evidently that just slays you, yet to me I find it hilarious.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 01:08 PM
More people will see Battleship then your favorite movie of all time. Evidently that just slays you, yet to me I find it hilarious.

Man, Battleship's apparently gonna have a huge uptick if it's gonna surpass The Avengers somehow.

raven56706
If not thinking this movie looks good whatsoever makes me a snob, then whatever, guess I'm a snob, dude. You can stop peppering every one of your remarks with that term now.

Apparently you'll watch any movie that's "Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious.". I'd rather be a fucking snob, then.

Good on you if Hollywood can basically spit in your face and take your money.

If you havent seen the movie yet, why pass judgement?

funny the double standards in this forum..

fumanstan
I was just thinking to myself how The Amazing Spider-Man thread wasn't giving me enough of Dragon Tattoo's opinion.

islandclaws
05-18-12, 01:12 PM
These box office threads sure have been fun as of late.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 01:14 PM
http://www.5starhiphop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/comment-friday-damn.jpg

:lol:

TGM
05-18-12, 01:17 PM
Man, Battleship's apparently gonna have a huge uptick if it's gonna surpass The Avengers somehow.

considering you're barely out of being a fetus, I'm not surprised The Avengers is your favorite movie OF ALL TIME. Anyhoo, I'm getting bored with this... and don't you have an Occupy movement to get to?

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 01:21 PM
considering you're barely out of being a fetus, I'm not surprised The Avengers is your favorite movie OF ALL TIME. Anyhoo, I'm getting bored with this... and don't you have an Occupy movement to get to?

Oh no, now you're randomly insulting my youth. How offensive. :lol:

Enjoy Battleship, dude. Perhaps only age will allow me to appreciate its subtle genius.

Draven
05-18-12, 01:22 PM
The movie critic at the station I work for said Battleship was a lot better than he was expecting and had a real patriotic vibe. He also gave The Avengers one of his highest ratings ever, so he's not too far off most of the time for me. I tend to agree with him more often than not.

I almost went to a midnight showing just to have something to do, but I can wait for Blu-ray. Besides, anything that keeps The Avengers on top is A-OK with me.

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 01:25 PM
Holy fuck. I actually agree with Dragon Tattoo. :jawdrop: I mean, even though he still comes across as someone who discovered the Internet last week...

TGM
Oh no, now you're randomly insulting my youth. How offensive. :lol:

Enjoy Battleship, dude. Perhaps only age will allow me to appreciate its subtle genius.

You're far too young to be so jaded. :( I'm just sorry for you, that's all sport.

d2cheer
-popcorn-

This thread is more entertaining than Battleship probably...:)

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 01:27 PM
Holy fuck. I actually agree with Dragon Tattoo. :jawdrop: I mean, even though he still comes across as someone who discovered the Internet last week...

I am just barely a fetus, after all. :(

SuckaMC
05-18-12, 01:28 PM
Now I want to see Battleship just to annoy Dragon Tattoo...

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 01:30 PM

:thumbsup:

Hey man, just learn to "turn your brain off" and watch shit get blowed up. Don't you know that's what everybody is looking for in a summer film?

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 01:37 PM
The movie critic at the station I work for said Battleship was a lot better than he was expecting and had a real patriotic vibe.

Summer action movies with a "patriotic vibe".... AKA as maudlin, heavy handed, flag waving, testosterone-driven escapades of idiocy.

thematahara
05-18-12, 01:38 PM
You two do realize your arguing over battleship, don't you?

TGM
05-18-12, 01:40 PM

I like the fact that neither one of us will see it in the theatre, and I will probably catch it only when it hits instant netflix. :lol:

fitprod
05-18-12, 01:43 PM
But Battleship? You may as well be drooling when you watch it.

You shouldn't insult drool that way.

fitprod

fitprod
05-18-12, 01:47 PM
The movie critic at the station I work for said Battleship was a lot better than he was expecting and had a real patriotic vibe.

He doesn't happen to work for a Fox station right. :p

fitprod

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 01:50 PM
....that would mean Draven works at Fox too if it is Fox.

SuckaMC
05-18-12, 01:53 PM
Summer action movies with a "patriotic vibe".... AKA as maudlin, heavy handed, flag waving, testosterone-driven escapades of idiocy.

You bet, because it's idiotic to ever show support for the country one lives in... To hell with showing service members in a good light, where's my welfare handout!

DaveyJoe
05-18-12, 01:57 PM
you bet, because it's idiotic to ever show support for the country one lives in... To hell with showing service members in a good light, where's my welfare handout!

wtf?

starseed1981
05-18-12, 01:59 PM
This thread is awesome.

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 02:06 PM
is this the best Box Office thread we have ever? Is there one better? I'd like to look at that one.

raven56706
05-18-12, 02:10 PM
this thread delivers!

Draven
05-18-12, 02:14 PM
He doesn't happen to work for a Fox station right. :p

fitprod

Nope, and he went in expecting it to suck.

Matthew Chmiel
05-18-12, 02:18 PM
You bet, because it's idiotic to ever show support for the country one lives in... To hell with showing service members in a good light, where's my welfare handout!
I'm sorry, but let me guide you to the black women aborting black babies thread occurring in the Other forum as we speak.

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 02:22 PM
Peter Berg's "Nobody Aborts Like Black Women". Coming Summer 2014.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry, but let me guide you to the black women aborting black babies thread occurring in the Other forum as we speak.

Black women aborting black babies? Why not have them abort chinese babies instead?

Matthew Chmiel
05-18-12, 02:35 PM
Peter Berg's "Nobody Aborts Like Black Women". Coming Summer 2014.
I'm assuming it's coming after Peter Berg's "Join the Army, Motherfucker" starring Mel Gibson.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DRa4AoQYgV4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DRa4AoQYgV4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 02:38 PM
Black women aborting black babies? Why not have them abort chinese babies instead?

...cuz they're black?

RocShemp
05-18-12, 02:44 PM
...cuz they're black?

Duh! I was joking about the redundancy of saying black women are aborting black babies. Unless the implication is that they are aborting other women's babies but only targeting those babies that will likely be black.

raven56706
05-18-12, 02:48 PM
umm where the hell did this thread go now?

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 02:53 PM
Duh! I was joking about the redundancy of saying black women are aborting black babies. Unless the implication is that they are aborting other women's babies but only targeting those babies that will likely be black.

I was being sarcastic damnit. UGHH!

islandclaws
05-18-12, 02:56 PM
umm where the hell did this thread go now?

I'm thinking it's about to come full circle to say that Rhianna was a black baby that should have been aborted, thus preventing "Battleship" from being made.

RocShemp
05-18-12, 02:56 PM
I was being sarcastic damnit. UGHH!

How am I supposed to know with that spic accent of yours? Learn to type American! -ohbfrank-

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 03:00 PM
Jesus didn't speak no Mexican! :mad:

Wolf359
05-18-12, 03:00 PM
Love how Dragon Tattoo gets his panties in a wad if anyone dares to criticize the Spider Man trailer, but boy if you even think of seeing Battleship, you're stupid.

DRG
05-18-12, 03:04 PM
Pocketing millions for an ensemble picture that will have no impact on his career

While I don't think it will kill his career outright like some are suggesting, it is a bit naive to think headlining two back-to-back, high profile flops in a row won't make studios think twice before letting him anchor another big stakes film any time soon. He'll probably still be in line for smaller films or supporting roles, where if these films had taken off the studios would be throwing more big bucks offers in his direction.

TomOpus
05-18-12, 03:05 PM
Love how Dragon Tattoo gets his panties in a wad if anyone dares to criticize the Spider Man trailer, but boy if you even think of seeing Battleship, you're stupid.

To quote him from the Spider-Man thread:

In your world that may equal "unabashed praise" but in the real world that I reside in, it is simply known as "keeping an open mind."

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 03:20 PM

I guess not everyone can be blessed with a moderate level of reading comprehension.

Michael Corvin
05-18-12, 03:24 PM

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 03:31 PM

I was waiting for someone to bring that up, as if the two movies are in any way equatable. One movie has had a trailer released. The other has actual reviews. One is based on a board game. One is based on an actual work of fiction.

But no, you're right. We should totally keep an open mind. This movie, based on a board game (not a comic book that at least has the semblance of an actual story), starring a 100lb pop star as a badass military commander, created by a movie studio that blatantly insults it customers while defending their failure, and directed by Peter Berg (who has shown nothing if not his unimpeachable cinematic talent throughout his long and illustrious career) should be approached with an open mind, despite the reviews and all common sense.

I actually do wonder how many people in this country would go see a movie based on something like Monopoly, or maybe like a Rockstar Energy drink or something. I thought it was joke. But Hollywood may as well see how far they can go.

Draven
05-18-12, 03:32 PM
I guess not everyone can be blessed with a moderate level of reading comprehension.

So where's your open mind on Battleship?

Shannon Nutt
05-18-12, 03:35 PM
So far, Roger Ebert, Christy Lemire, Entertainment Weekly, Time, and Rex Reed have all given BATTLESHIP fair to good reviews. Sounds like at the LEAST, it's decent B-movie (in an A-movie budget) sort of fun.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 03:37 PM
So where's your open mind on Battleship?

Shit, wait...do you think the CGI in Battleship is more realistic than The Mummy Returns?

DaveyJoe
05-18-12, 03:40 PM
I was waiting for someone to bring that up, as if the two movies are in any way equatable. One movie has had a trailer released. The other has actual reviews.

But no, you're right. We should totally keep an open mind. This movie, based on a board game (not a comic book that at least has the semblance of an actual story), starring a 100lb pop star as a badass military commander, created by a movie studio that blatantly insults it customers while defending their failure, and directed by Peter Berg (who has shown nothing if not his unimpeachable cinematic talent throughout his long and illustrious career) should be approached with an open mind, despite the reviews and all common sense.

I actually do wonder how many people in this country would go see a movie based on something like Monopoly. Before Battleship actually got made, I thought it was joke. But Hollywood may as well see how far they can go.

You're right, that's not at all comparable to a film rushed from Sony, in a desperate attempt to keep the rights of a comic book character, directed by somebody who has never made a Special Effects heavy action film before. Starring a guy who looks more like an emo Twilight character than a science geek.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 03:41 PM
You're right, that's not at all comparable to a film rushed from Sony, in a desperate attempt to keep the rights of a comic book character, directed by somebody who has never made a Special Effects heavy action film before. Starring a guy who looks more like an emo Twilight character than a science geek.

Glad we finally agree on something.

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 03:51 PM
actually...does anyone know the details on the rights w/ Spidey? What's the time limit before they go up?

The release date for SM4 was March 26th, 2011. Among many factors but also the failure to release on that date. Raimi left and Sony was being Bitchy. If ANYTHING Sony would've been freaking out more at that time than now. I don't think they were freaking out in losing the rights. It's 2012. We're getting a Spidey film. Was there a big problem w/ failure to keep the rights on this film? What's the time period on this?

starman9000
05-18-12, 03:55 PM
I don't think there is a time concern for Sony to lose the rights. Marvel will have to buy them to get them.

raven56706
05-18-12, 03:58 PM
Dragon Tattoo..... criticizing movies that he hasnt seen yet.

Maxflier
05-18-12, 04:03 PM
You wanna see a good summer blockbuster? Go see "The Avengers". See it again if you haven't seen it already.

How would he do that exactly? Time travel?

DaveyJoe
05-18-12, 04:04 PM
I don't think there is a time concern for Sony to lose the rights. Marvel will have to buy them to get them.

This is incorrect. Sony has to make a Spider-Man movie every five years or the rights automatically revert to Marvel. That is why they fired Raimi when he asked for more time and started this rush-job with Marc Webb. These time periods are built into the contracts so Sony can't hold the rights to Spider-Man and just sit on it, when Marvel could be making money off of the character.

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 04:05 PM
How would he do that exactly? Time travel?

Yes. I would think that much was obvious.

PatD
05-18-12, 04:07 PM
The end result of the "turn your brain off and enjoy" philosophy of summer movie-going.

http://robsmovievault.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ass_idiocracy.jpg

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 04:07 PM
This is incorrect. Sony has to make a Spider-Man movie every five years or the rights automatically revert to Marvel. That is why they fired Raimi when he asked for more time and started this rush-job with Marc Webb. These time periods are built into the contracts so Sony can't hold the rights to Spider-Man and just sit on it, when Marvel could be making money off of the character.

ok...now...could you find the most detailed look at those rights cuz I'd like to know more about them.

So in the case of Blade....what w/ him? Is he now Marvel officially?

starman9000
05-18-12, 04:08 PM

Cool thanks, I thought I read one that said that's no longer the case.

I know Disney bought the marketing rights to spidey back, do they share that profit with Sony, or is it all theirs? It seems odd of Sony to dump the marketing portion.

Larry C.
05-18-12, 04:08 PM

Universal, only geeks go to midnight showings? Universal, you're fucked.

And that's one geek who is not gonna take it, anymore?

starman9000
05-18-12, 04:11 PM
ok...now...could you find the most detailed look at those rights cuz I'd like to know more about them.

So in the case of Blade....what w/ him? Is he now Marvel officially?

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/blade/17818/marvel-gets-blade-and-the-punisher-screen-rights-back-more-movies-coming

This says Punisher and Blade are both fully back with Marvel.

madcougar
05-18-12, 04:15 PM
This thread is awesome.

Amen!

Now I want to see Battleship just to annoy Dragon Tattoo...

He would have to set my house on fire for me to hate him that much.

Dragon Tattoo..... criticizing movies that he hasnt seen yet.

I'm perplexed that anyone would think this looks like a good movie based on a trailer. Unless you LOVED all three Transformers movies, I see no redeeming qualities in the trailer. None. Not one.

Anywho... my prediction for the weekend... Avengers grosses $62 million.

DaveyJoe
05-18-12, 04:23 PM
Cool thanks, I thought I read one that said that's no longer the case.

I know Disney bought the marketing rights to spidey back, do they share that profit with Sony, or is it all theirs? It seems odd of Sony to dump the marketing portion.

Things might have changed, but the scenario I described earlier is how things were when Sony decided to dump Raimi and fast-track a reboot. I would guess that it's still the case since TASM is coming out exactly five years after Spider-Man 3.

bluetoast
05-18-12, 04:29 PM
I dunno, it looks like a lot of people are interested in a movie based on a board game over here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/601624-clue-bluray-release-august.html

I'm not saying any real care/thought went into Battleship, but the source material itself shouldn't automatically dictate whether the movie will suck. People insulted the shit out of Pirates of the Caribbean being based on a freaking ride, but that franchise is still alive today. On the other side of it, that Haunted Mansion movie crashed and burned.

Draven
05-18-12, 04:34 PM
Shit, wait...do you think the CGI in Battleship is more realistic than The Mummy Returns?

It looks about the same as ASM to me. But I didn't make that Mummy Returns comparison.

Again, where is your open mind?

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 04:37 PM
Again, where is your open mind?

In the basement with my copy of the game.

People insulted the shit out of Pirates of the Caribbean being based on a freaking ride, but that franchise is still alive today.

Yeah, those movies suck, too.

bluetoast
05-18-12, 04:38 PM
That reminds me, isn't there a Risk movie coming out soon? And Monopoly too?

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 04:41 PM
... no. Can't be. He's dead... :(

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 04:48 PM

Solid Snake
05-18-12, 04:49 PM

I'd argue that PoTC 1 was good.

Dr Mabuse
05-18-12, 05:02 PM
There was a time when reading wasn't just for ****. And neither was writing. People wrote books and movies. Movies with stories, that made you care about whose ass it was and why it was farting. And I believe that time can come again!

majorjoe23
05-18-12, 05:07 PM
All I want to know is if Liam Neeson yells "You sunk my battleship!" at some point during the movie, and if they give some explanation for why an Irish guy is captaining US ships that were decommissioned 20 years ago.

I'm not willing to sit through the movie to find out though.

DaveyJoe
05-18-12, 05:08 PM
All I want to know is if Liam Neeson yells "You sunk my battleship!" at some point during the movie, and if they give some explanation for why an Irish guy is captaining US ships that were decommissioned 20 years ago.

I'm not willing to sit through the movie to find out though.

It was in the script but apparently Peter Berg cut that shit out so people would take his movie seriously.

Draven
05-18-12, 05:11 PM

Right next to your Spidey comics, I suppose.

JumpCutz
05-18-12, 05:22 PM
It was in the script but apparently Peter Berg cut that shit out so people would take his movie seriously.

orangecrush
05-18-12, 05:26 PM
...directed by Peter Berg (who has shown nothing if not his unimpeachable cinematic talent throughout his long and illustrious career) ...I don't think Berg's Directorial Filmography is anything to be very ashamed of :shrug:

Dragon Tattoo
05-18-12, 05:28 PM
Right next to your Spidey comics, I suppose.

Get out of my house.

Jaymole
05-18-12, 05:53 PM
So far, Roger Ebert, Christy Lemire, Entertainment Weekly, Time, and Rex Reed have all given BATTLESHIP fair to good reviews. Sounds like at the LEAST, it's decent B-movie (in an A-movie budget) sort of fun.

Rex Reed giving it a good review is an automatic warning to me that the movies is crap. He falls right below Armond White on my list of critics who have the most divergent tastes from my own.

Dr. DVD
05-18-12, 05:58 PM
Surprised the thread title wasn't something about Taylor Kitsch's career being sunk with Battleship.

Fanboy
05-18-12, 06:06 PM

Hell, we got a multi-page argue-a-thon (with added abortion!) out of it. Well played, Mr. Berg. :clap:

arminius
05-18-12, 06:31 PM
I dunno, it looks like a lot of people are interested in a movie based on a board game over here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/601624-clue-bluray-release-august.html

I'm not saying any real care/thought went into Battleship, but the source material itself shouldn't automatically dictate whether the movie will suck. People insulted the shit out of Pirates of the Caribbean being based on a freaking ride, but that franchise is still alive today. On the other side of it, that Haunted Mansion movie crashed and burned.

I actually thought that was pretty good and one of the few good performances by Murphy in the last couple of years. Battleship looks stupid but look at Avatar. People seemed to like that.

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 06:57 PM
I don't think Berg's Directorial Filmography is anything to be very ashamed of :shrug:
Or particularly proud of, either. :shrug:

I'd say at best, he's serviceable. Workmanlike. Competent. At worst... ehh. Excluding his current movie, of course, which I most likely will never watch. Voluntarily.

dolphinboy
05-18-12, 07:20 PM

I saw it with my wife when I was 24 and enjoyed it for what it was.

I didn't feel stupid then, nor was the audience mostly 10 year olds. I hate ketchup, but love mustard.

That said, I think Battleship looks terrible and wouldn't see it if I had free passes and it won't be a blind buy when it comes to bd.

Mazje
05-18-12, 07:34 PM
Saw this was five pages and figured The Avengers was breaking records again.

Instead, Peter Berg is aborting Dragon Tattoo's babies, or something.

Matthew Chmiel
05-18-12, 07:38 PM
Deadline is pegging at a $30 million weekend for Battleship based upon today's estimates which should fall somewhere between $9 - 11 million.

Mr. Cinema
05-18-12, 07:54 PM
http://users.content.ytmnd.com/c/f/3/cf356e6203cd6905b031cb77c765a7c0.jpg

Strevlac
05-18-12, 07:57 PM
So The Avengers is the bestest movie evar and Battleship is chimpanzee diarrhea.

You guys crack me up.

boredsilly
05-18-12, 08:02 PM

Just speaking to your first point, I don't think it matters where a movie gets its inspiration from. As has been mentioned, Clue is a pretty popular movie, and people said the same exact thing you said about the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie -- "That's dumb -- it's based on a ride!". Granted the Pirates franchise went off the rails really fast, but that first movie is really good.

Also, I think it's easy to look down our noses at what other people enjoy, but I am positive that all of us (every last one of us) loves a movie that someone else would deem trash.

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 08:22 PM
I think baracine's ghost has possessed Dragon Tattoo. In fact, I'm convinced of it. :up:

Mr. Cinema
05-18-12, 08:25 PM
Boxoffice.com pointed out that "Think Like a Man" managed $500,000 in midnight grosses vs the $420 k for Battleship. That's definitely not a good sign.

Universal is one of the best when it comes to mega budget films bombing/under-performing. Waterworld, Evan Almighty, The Wolfman, among others. I guess Battleship will be the next member.

OutRun2
05-18-12, 09:40 PM
Battleshit looks like it's bomb hard

d2cheer
05-18-12, 09:44 PM
While I don't think it will kill his career outright like some are suggesting, it is a bit naive to think headlining two back-to-back, high profile flops in a row won't make studios think twice before letting him anchor another big stakes film any time soon. He'll probably still be in line for smaller films or supporting roles, where if these films had taken off the studios would be throwing more big bucks offers in his direction.

BUT...by the same rights should not all the big players from the Transformers, and movies like that be judged the same? No ones career really took off after that except maybe Shia LaBeouf and even that is questionable. NO ONE will ever blame him for John Carter not ever...

DonnachaOne
05-18-12, 09:49 PM
Kitsch already has an Oliver Stone flick this summer and most likely has other projects lined up already. He'll be fine. The only thing that could bring him down would be an utter lack of talent. Where is Cam Gigandet anyway?

d2cheer
05-18-12, 10:10 PM
Kitsch already has an Oliver Stone flick this summer and most likely has other projects lined up already. He'll be fine. The only thing that could bring him down would be an utter lack of talent. Where is Cam Gigandet anyway?

Stop it you are making sense!! :D

TomOpus
05-18-12, 10:13 PM
Kitsch already has an Oliver Stone flick this summer and most likely has other projects lined up already. He'll be fine. The only thing that could bring him down would be an utter lack of talent. Where is Cam Gigandet anyway?He's also in the Peter Berg movie Lone Survivor, which is in pre-production.

DonnachaOne
05-18-12, 10:14 PM
Stop it you are making sense!! :D

I understand. (Gets coat, leaves)

(Hands the leaves back, has no idea why he picked them up anyway)

DonnachaOne
05-18-12, 10:16 PM
He's also in the Peter Berg movie Lone Survivor...
Is it about the one actor whose career isn't derailed by a string of high-profile domestic flops?

Hokeyboy
05-18-12, 10:19 PM
Battleshit looks like it's bomb hard
I love this. Somehow.

DaveyJoe
05-19-12, 12:47 AM
I love this. Somehow.

Matthew Chmiel
05-19-12, 12:51 AM
Is it about the one actor whose career isn't derailed by a string of high-profile worldwide flops?
Fixed.

Disney already announced a $250 million loss on John Carter which had a similar production budget, but a smaller prints and advertising budget. Universal won't admit to how much they lost on this film.

Matthew Chmiel
05-19-12, 02:37 AM
1. Marvel’s The Avengers (Disney) Week 3 [4,349 Runs] PG13
Friday $15.2M, Weekend $55M, Cume $456.7M

2. Battleship (Universal) NEW [3,690 Runs] PG13
Friday $10M, Weekend $28M, Cume

3. The Dictator (Paramount) NEW-Wed [3,008 Runs] R
Friday $5.5M, Weekend $16M, Cume $23.0M

4. Dark Shadows (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,755 Runs] PG13
Friday $4.0M (-62%), Weekend $13.3M (-55%), Cume $50.5M

5. What To Expect When You’re Expecting (Lionsgate) NEW [3,021 Runs] PG13
Friday $4.6M, Weekend $12.7M,

6. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [354 Runs] PG13
Friday $800K, Weekend $3M, Cume $8.7M

7. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 9 [2,064 Runs]
Friday $800K, Weekend $2.8M, Cume $391.8M

8. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 5 [1,722 Runs] PG13
Friday $800K, Weekend $2.5M, $86.0M

9. The Lucky One (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,055 Runs] PG13
Friday $600K, Weekend $1.6M, $57.3M

10. Pirates! Band Of Misfits (Aardman/Sony) Week 4 [1,840 Runs] PG
Friday $300K, Weekend $1.4M, Cume $25.3M
John Carter had a better opening weekend than Battleship. :lol:

superdeluxe
05-19-12, 02:40 AM
gdamn avengers 456 million. 600 million?

Matthew Chmiel
05-19-12, 02:44 AM
gdamn avengers 456 million. 600 million?
I'm curious if The Avengers takes next weekend too if Men in Black 3 misfires similar to Dark Shadows and Battleship.

The Avengers is the only bright spot of the summer up to this point. Christ, three weeks into the summer box office and we already have four flops: Dark Shadows ($150M production budget), Battleship ($210M production budget), The Dictator ($65M production budget) and What To Expect When You're Expecting ($40M production budget). :lol:

The Dictator is the only one of the four with a decent shot of making a profit as its doing much better overseas in its first few days of release compared to here.

Supermallet
05-19-12, 02:50 AM
I also hear The Dictator is actually good, which I cannot say about any of the other non-Avengers movies you've listed.

Rypro 525
05-19-12, 02:53 AM
I'm curious if The Avengers takes next weekend too if Men in Black 3 misfires similar to Dark Shadows and Battleship.

The Avengers is the only bright spot of the summer up to this point. Christ, three weeks into the summer box office and we already have four flops: Dark Shadows ($150M production budget), Battleship ($210M production budget), The Dictator ($65M production budget) and What To Expect When You're Expecting ($40M production budget). :lol:

The Dictator is the only one of the four with a decent shot of making a profit as its doing much better overseas in its first few days of release compared to here.re "what to expect" where the fuck did all the money go? did most of the budget go into Diaz and JLo's sallerys?

Matthew Chmiel
05-19-12, 02:54 AM
I also hear The Dictator is actually good, which I cannot say about any of the other non-Avengers movies you've listed.
I've seen the film twice. Once at CinemaCon and once in wide release. The audience reaction is mixed at best.

I already wrote my thoughts on the film in its respective thread. The film's two best jokes went over everyone's heads at each screening.

sharkstank
05-19-12, 05:49 AM

The Dictator is the only one of the four with a decent shot of making a profit as its doing much better overseas in its first few days of release compared to here.

I think MIB3 will definitely win next weekend, it is just a matter of how well it does. Will Smith i still a draw I think, and even though the second movie was pretty bad, that was 10 years ago. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it has at least a 60 million dollar weekend. But I'm just spit balling.

And I'm sure Chernobyl Diaries will do pretty poorly. I feel like the ads haven't been good and the awareness is low. I'm such a horror fan though I'll probably check it out.

Dr. DVD
05-19-12, 08:20 AM
I intend to try and see Avengers again next weekend. I hope I can help it push past $500 million. ;)

Schloob1
05-19-12, 09:38 AM
I've seen the film twice. Once at CinemaCon and once in wide release. The audience reaction is mixed at best.

I already wrote my thoughts on the film in its respective thread. The film's two best jokes went over everyone's heads at each screening.

Thx for reminding me of my fave movie theater experience for me personally. When I was 20 and went to see The Lion King with my mom. Was a lighter crowd of say 40 people/half kids I burst out laughing at the food chain joke and it sounded like crickets in the theater. Could not tell but guessing everyone though was WTH is up with that guy? :D

stingermck
05-19-12, 01:29 PM
Friday:

1 marvel's the avengers
$15,308,000

2 battleship
$9,000,000

3 the dictator
$5,740,000

4 what to expect when you're expecting
$3,850,000

5 dark shadows
$3,800,000

RoboDad
05-19-12, 01:37 PM
I intend to try and see Avengers again next weekend. I hope I can help it push past $500 million. ;)

I did my part yesterday.:banana:

EdTheRipper
05-19-12, 01:46 PM
I did my part yesterday.:banana:

I went for a second time today. The theater was still extremely crowded given that it was a 10:30am showing on a gorgeous Saturday.

RoboDad
05-19-12, 01:48 PM
I noticed the same thing. We went to a 9:30 pm showing yesterday, and the theater was about 90% full.

Mr. Cinema
05-19-12, 01:59 PM
I think MIB3 will definitely win next weekend, it is just a matter of how well it does. Will Smith i still a draw I think, and even though the second movie was pretty bad, that was 10 years ago. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it has at least a 60 million dollar weekend. But I'm just spit balling.

And I'm sure Chernobyl Diaries will do pretty poorly. I feel like the ads haven't been good and the awareness is low. I'm such a horror fan though I'll probably check it out.
I think MIB 3 will be able to reach $60 million. But that's not that great considering it's a Will Smith film + 3D surcharge. I think it'll drop like a stone in week 2.

Snow White will probably open strong as well, but Avengers should still be earning pretty well by that point. I think $600 mil is very reachable. It's currently ahead of TDK by $54 million after the 15 day point.

Kal-El
05-19-12, 03:10 PM
Contributed to the Avengers yesterday. Sold out showings in my theater all around. Well deservedly so.

Daytripper
05-19-12, 03:25 PM
I think MIB3 will definitely win next weekend, it is just a matter of how well it does.

Don't know. Even though it could be number one, somehow I think it'll suffer the same fate as "Scream 4" and "American Reunion". Too many years since the last film. Not as hot anymore. And not to mention, "MIB2" stunk.

Mike86
05-19-12, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I think MIB will do okay but I don't know if it'll do anything too huge. It may win it's opening weekend but I've got a feeling it'll drop off afterwards. It's been a long time since the sequel as mentioned and even though Will Smith is a pretty big star I don't know if the franchise is popular enough.

Dr. DVD
05-19-12, 05:02 PM
MIB 3 will open large on Will Smith's star status, but I also predict it will drop unless they have somehow gotten the mojo that made the first one so great back.

islandclaws
05-19-12, 05:13 PM
Is Smith still a mega draw, though? He hasn't headlined a picture in a couple years. People might not be so hot on him anymore, or they might have missed him and turn out in droves. I'm thinking the former.

(waiting patiently for Mr. Cinema to provide a wealth of data)

Mr. Cinema
05-19-12, 05:59 PM
Is Smith still a mega draw, though? He hasn't headlined a picture in a couple years. People might not be so hot on him anymore, or they might have missed him and turn out in droves. I'm thinking the former.

(waiting patiently for Mr. Cinema to provide a wealth of data)
What perfect timing. I was just researching Mr. Smith's box office background.

His last film was waaaay back in December 2008, Seven Pounds, which did $69 million. Prior to that, his last 2 big budget films were Hancock ($227 mil) in July 2008, and I Am Legend ($256 mil) back in December 2007.

MIB 2 was released July 2002 and earned $190 million. His last sci-fi film was I, Robot, which took in $144 million back in July 2004. He actually had an incredible run of hits from MIB 2 through Hancock. That was a string of 8 hits with Bad Boys 2 being the lowest grossing at $138 mil.

I think his absence from the big screen may help out some. Smith + Summer blockbuster used to be a regular occurrence. I think the audience will certainly be there Memorial Day weekend, but it's hard to say how this will do in weekend 2.

The original earned $250 million back in 1997. I think if the 3rd can reach $175 million, Sony will probably be relieved.

Mr. Cinema
05-19-12, 06:01 PM
MIB 3 is also the longest of the series at 106 minutes. Maybe that means Sonnenfeld didn't film all crap. You almost knew MIB 2 would be shitty since it was only 88 minutes. That's sometimes a clear sign of a turd.

Jam Master Jay
05-19-12, 06:24 PM
A little off topic but I just started a part time summer job a couple weeks ago that just said "data entry" type work in the description. Turned out it is compiling and entering in all these numbers we obsess over every weekend for Rentrak. Kind of cool to see the numbers add up as the night goes along.

Matthew Chmiel
05-19-12, 07:09 PM
MIB 3 is also the longest of the series at 106 minutes. Maybe that means Sonnenfeld didn't film all crap. You almost knew MIB 2 would be shitty since it was only 88 minutes. That's sometimes a clear sign of a turd.
Did you just turn into our fellow banned forum member?

Sonnenfeld's adaptation of Big Trouble is awesome and runs 85 minutes with credits.

Artman
05-19-12, 08:07 PM
The original earned $250 million back in 1997. I think if the 3rd can reach $175 million, Sony will probably be relieved.

That's a huge drop in attendance compared to the others. With the cost, I'd say anything less than 200 would be a disappointment. But worldwide is what counts these days, and the foreign markets have grown a lot in the last ten yrs.

Troy Stiffler
05-19-12, 08:16 PM

That's just Sonnefields style. He keeps it going as quick as possible. Anything that slows it down, or doesn't have something interesting going on, it just gets cut. Like an ADD movie. Not the cerebral approach that I appreciate. But it has it's merits.

resinrats
05-19-12, 08:31 PM
Battleship already made more then $200M overseas so it isn't a total flop.

My Other Self
05-19-12, 08:43 PM
Has Will Smith really not been in a movie since 2008? What the hell has he been doing? Seven Pounds is one of the worst movies I had ever seen so I still remember when it came out but I didn't know it had been that long.

islandclaws
05-19-12, 08:46 PM
Battleship already made more then $200M overseas so it isn't a total flop.

A better way to word that would be "Battleship has been out for months overseas, and so far has only made over $200m". That's peanuts for what should be a major tentpole picture, especially one geared towards international audiences as well. They should be sitting at $350-400m if it were in good shape.

Deftones
05-19-12, 08:48 PM
Will Smith is busy managing his two kid's acting and singing careers.

bluetoast
05-19-12, 08:50 PM
Are there any Grid based puns that can be made in conjunction with a sinking reference?

Supermallet
05-19-12, 08:58 PM
Will Smith is busy managing his two kid's acting and singing careers.

And probably making way more money doing that than acting.

Schloob1
05-19-12, 09:37 PM
A better way to word that would be "Battleship has been out for months overseas, and so far has only made over $200m". That's peanuts for what should be a major tentpole picture, especially one geared towards international audiences as well. They should be sitting at $350-400m if it were in good shape.

Nice to know 5.5 weeks is now considered "months", and of course it has not been open in all oversea markets for that actual period of time. Don't get me wrong it is still not that great of an amount. But to say it has been out for so long is not really telling the truth.

Jaymole
05-20-12, 12:27 AM
Glad to see Battleship bombing...maybe now Universal will reconsider going ahead with Easy-Bake Oven: The Movie.

fumanstan
05-20-12, 12:44 AM
Nice to know 5.5 weeks is now considered "months", and of course it has not been open in all oversea markets for that actual period of time. Don't get me wrong it is still not that great of an amount. But to say it has been out for so long is not really telling the truth.

So in other words, Battleship has been out for almost a year already internationally!

PenguinJoe
05-20-12, 01:22 AM
Will Smith's made so much money off his movies he really never has to do a movie again ever. I don't get why he doesn't just chill and live a great life.

TomOpus
05-20-12, 03:21 AM
MIB 2 was released July 2002 and earned $190 million. $441 million worldwide

The original earned $250 million back in 1997. $585 million worldwideJust thought I would throw out the total BO numbers for a bit more perspective. MIB2 did fairly well. With the overseas market accounting for more and more revenue nowadays, I think MIB3 should do pretty well.

Matthew Chmiel
05-20-12, 04:05 AM
To point out:

MIB cost $90 million.
MIB 2 cost $140 million.
MIB 3 cost $215 million.

The stakes are a bit higher than before. Not only is it a sequel to a film that most hated from ten years ago, but there's a lot more costs involved, Will Smith hasn't stared in a film in nearly five years, etc, etc, etc. There's a lot more going against it than anything else.

1. Marvel’s The Avengers (Disney) Week 3 [4,349 Runs] PG13
Friday $15.3M, Saturday $24M, Weekend $56.5M, Cume $450.0M

2. Battleship (Universal) NEW [3,690 Runs] PG13
Friday $9.0M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $25.0M

3. The Dictator (Paramount) NEW-Wed [3,008 Runs] R
Friday $5.7M, Saturda $6.7M, Weekend $17.0M, Cume $24.0M

4. Dark Shadows (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,755 Runs] PG13
Friday $3.7M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $12.5M (-58%), Cume $50.7M

5. What To Expect When You’re Expecting (Lionsg) NEW [3,021 Runs] PG13
Friday $3.8M, Saturday $4.1M, Weekend $10.3M

6. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [354 Runs] PG13
Friday $872K, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $8.5M

7. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 9 [2,064 Runs]
Friday $820K, Saturday $1.3M, Weekend $2.8M, Cume $391.4M

8. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 5 [1,722 Runs] PG13
Friday $800K, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $2.7M, Cume $85.9M

9. The Lucky One (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,055 Runs] PG13
Friday $585K, Saturday $750K, Weekend $1.7M, Cume $56.9M

10. Pirates! Band Of Misfits (Aardman/Sony) Week 4 [1,840 Runs] PG
Friday $340K, Saturday $700K, Weekend $1.6M, Cume $25.5M

fitprod
05-20-12, 05:59 AM
C'mon Battleship, you can do it... You can finish below $25 million, behind The Dictator.

fitprod

deadlax
05-20-12, 12:06 PM
I find it funny that people are rooting for these huge budget movies to fail. I'd think as filmgoers, we need these films to succeed if we want to see your $150M budgeted R-Rated Lovecraft, Phillip Dick, and other fanboy beloved IPs on the big screen.

Which Button?
05-20-12, 12:19 PM
I find it funny that people are rooting for these huge budget movies to fail. I'd think as filmgoers, we need these films to succeed if we want to see your $150M budgeted R-Rated Lovecraft, Phillip Dick, and other fanboy beloved IPs on the big screen.

I don't necessarily think it's all big budget movies, only the ones that are horrible. If Battleship sinks at the box office and that means the studios give up on future board game properties that's nothing but a win in my book.

Battleship was nothing but a bad idea from the start. So was the Stretch Armstrong, Monopoly and the Ouija Board concepts. I will state though, that Clue wasn't bad and if Pixar was allowed to a Candyland movie I could see it being quite good.

However, if you want to talk about other big budget movies such as Avengers, Dark Knight Rises or Prometheus I wish those nothing but success.

Solid Snake
05-20-12, 12:29 PM
yeah...Battleship has absolute fuck all at stake in general as a general big budget film. If PROMETHEUS fails? Yeah...that'll fuck shit things up for films of the big budgeted nature to take a risk.

Jaymole
05-20-12, 12:50 PM

I don't find it funny at all...what studios decide to put on the screen all comes down to the audience...if audiences will flock to see shit, studios won't feel they need to put much energy into making them good. So for me, I am always rooting for good films to do well and bad ones to fail....$$$$$ is the only language that will get through to the studios. Just throwing hundreds of millions onto the screen isn't going to bring audiences in....this is what i want studios to start learning.

Super X
05-20-12, 01:02 PM

I think the message being sent is not to just make huge budget films, but to make such films with some care and depth. Sure, they can put a ton of money into visual effects for a film like Battleship, but if the story is lacking and the characters are cliched, it winds up being a hollow experience. Hollywood can do better and they should be taking a message from these big-budget bombs that they should do better.

TimeandTide
05-20-12, 01:12 PM
Has Will Smith really not been in a movie since 2008? What the hell has he been doing?

Raising his kids and managing their careers, I imagine.

Solid Snake
05-20-12, 01:21 PM
he's also been producing too.

davidh777
05-20-12, 03:59 PM
A little off topic but I just started a part time summer job a couple weeks ago that just said "data entry" type work in the description. Turned out it is compiling and entering in all these numbers we obsess over every weekend for Rentrak. Kind of cool to see the numbers add up as the night goes along.

This thread will be updated a lot earlier in the future! :banana:

mostaccioli
05-20-12, 04:16 PM
I don't necessarily think it's all big budget movies, only the ones that are horrible. If Battleship sinks at the box office and that means the studios give up on future board game properties that's nothing but a win in my book.

Battleship was nothing but a bad idea from the start. So was the Stretch Armstrong, Monopoly and the Ouija Board concepts. I will state though, that Clue wasn't bad and if Pixar was allowed to a Candyland movie I could see it being quite good.

However, if you want to talk about other big budget movies such as Avengers, Dark Knight Rises or Prometheus I wish those nothing but success.

i'm new to this topic but from looking at the movie trailers battleship has attacks from spaceships. i don't remember that on the board game.

SuckaMC
05-20-12, 05:03 PM
I think the message being sent is not to just make huge budget films, but to make such films with some care and depth. Sure, they can put a ton of money into visual effects for a film like Battleship, but if the story is lacking and the characters are cliched, it winds up being a hollow experience. Hollywood can do better and they should be taking a message from these big-budget bombs that they should do better.

By most accounts, Battleship has more depth than expected. Seems there was a lot of jumps to conclusions on exactly what this movie was bringing to the table.

Mr. Cinema
05-20-12, 05:29 PM
Curious to hear Ron Meyer's quotes on Battleship. He ripped Universal's previous mega budget efforts like The Wolfman and Cowboys & Aliens. But they apparently haven't learned their lesson since Battleship is going to bomb harder than those 2 films.

Their remaining Summer films appear to be Snow White and the Huntsman, Savages, Ted, and Bourne Legacy.

Snow White's budget is $70 million. If that turns out to be a hit, it should ease the pain of Battleship somewhat.

Matthew Chmiel
05-20-12, 05:51 PM
Snow White's budget is $70 million. If that turns out to be a hit, it should ease the pain of Battleship somewhat.
There's reports/rumors that Universal is fudging that production budget figure.

The LA Times reported it having a budget of $175 million whereas others have it somewhere around $100 million plus.

Mr. Cinema
05-20-12, 05:52 PM
Since it's Universal, I'd tend to believe the $175 million number. Could be another situation where they split the cost with the other production company, or get some sort of tax credit. I think Nikki at Deadline has mentioned this on other big budget films in the past.

PopcornTreeCt
05-20-12, 06:02 PM
Snow White looks like it has good production value. It also looks a lot better than Battleship. Ted looks like shit. Not sure about Savages and Bourne will be good but won't make a lot of money.

JumpCutz
05-20-12, 06:20 PM
Snow White looks like it has good production value. It also looks a lot better than Battleship.

Early word is it's dreadful and with really bad performances. :shrug:

Super X
05-20-12, 06:31 PM

So it's just as good as Battleship, then.

JumpCutz
05-20-12, 06:36 PM
So it's just as good as Battleship, then.

Both are destined to be genre classics!

GoldenJCJ
05-20-12, 06:46 PM
Bad performances in a movie starring Kristen Stewart!?! Get outta town...

RocShemp
05-20-12, 06:48 PM
Bad performances in a movie starring Kristen Stewart!?! Get outta town...

Except the worst performance is from Theron (as evidenced in the trailers). Apparently Stewart doesn't even act in this one (which is probably why she's mute in the trailers).

PopcornTreeCt
05-20-12, 06:52 PM

That's not too surprising.

Super X
05-20-12, 06:52 PM
Except the worst performance is from Theron (as evidenced in the trailers). Apparently Stewart doesn't even act in this one (which is probably why she's mute in the trailers).

Wait a minute! Are you saying that she's acted in her other films?

fitprod
05-20-12, 07:05 PM
Back on topic a little bit... Avengers should end up #3 in domestic box office by early June. - I'm assuming the film should draw about $12 to $15 million Monday through Friday, and snag another $35 - $40 million for the Memorial Day weekend. That should put it around $505 to $520 in just 25 days.

If MIB3 doesn't outdraw Avengers on Friday, by at least 10 million, it probably wont finish #1 for Memorial Day. (I've talk to some people that saw it early, and they said it's better than MIB2, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. - The big challenge will be the bad taste #2 left.)

fitprod

Artman
05-20-12, 07:58 PM
I don't think there's any way MIB doesn't win the wknd... though it'll probably under perform - it really should do 100mill given it's budget.

Supermallet
05-20-12, 07:59 PM
Wait a minute! Are you saying that she's acted in her other films?

I also would have accepted "What do you mean 'this one'?"

PenguinJoe
05-20-12, 08:12 PM
Even though I don't care about MIB3 I still want to see it, thats the power of Will Smith. Even though I don't care about Battleship, I don't really care if I see it or not. Thats the power of Taylor Kitsch.

fitprod
05-20-12, 08:50 PM
...though it'll probably under perform...

Quoted for the key phrase for the rest of the summer...

Avengers is already probably going to be the high point of the summer. The Dark Knight Rises will do about $350 to $375 million, but considering expectations...

fitprod

Michael Corvin
05-20-12, 08:53 PM
I don't think there's any way MIB doesn't win the wknd... though it'll probably under perform - it really should do 100mill given it's budget.

I agree. Avengers has legs, but not the kind of legs to top Will Smith on Memorial Day weekend.

Even though I don't care about MIB3 I still want to see it, thats the power of Will Smith.

I hated the first, never saw the second but Josh Brolin as TLJ as Agent K almost has me sold.

Ash Ketchum
05-20-12, 09:04 PM
Except the worst performance is from Theron (as evidenced in the trailers).

Didn't Theron already play this part in YOUNG ADULT? :D

Barth
05-20-12, 09:35 PM
What I find funny about these weekly threads is that most people complain that Hollywood has run out of ideas and can only make remakes and sequels. Yet when they try something a bit new and throw a lot of money at it everyone here is glad it fails. I don't understand the logic. Battleship might not be great but at least they took a chance on it for something that isn't named "Twilight The Harry Potter Pirate Movie, starring Justin Bieber".
That said, I'm going to see Prometheus in a couple weeks, an R rated sci-fi action flick, and hope it does well.

Hokeyboy
05-20-12, 09:46 PM
Yes. A HUGE slab at originality, that Battleship. Its based on an idiotic boardgame, then made to look like a generic Transformers clone. These are the types of films that need to be ENCORAGED. :lol:

JumpCutz
05-20-12, 09:54 PM
Barth, you're putting us on....I mean that was a good one! :lol:

You are making a funny right? :eek:

The Cow
05-20-12, 09:54 PM
...idiotic boardgame, ...

Hokeyboy never won at Battleship as a kid :sad:

Barth
05-20-12, 10:02 PM
Barth, you're putting us on....I mean that was a good one! :lol:

You are making a funny right? :eek:

Totally, I want to see Hollywood remake Footloose and Karate Kid, or even Spiderman, that's what 5 years since the last one?

Hokeyboy
05-20-12, 10:04 PM
I won by wiping the floor with any opponent who dared taking me on at Monopoly. Going against a Jew in the realm of banking/real estate? You might as well start slapping yourself right in your one-nut cheeks!! :mad:

The Cow
05-20-12, 10:05 PM

Barth
05-20-12, 10:08 PM
I won by wiping the floor with any opponent who dared taking me on at Monopoly. Going against a Jew in the realm of banking/real estate? You might as well start slapping yourself right in your one-nut cheeks!! :mad:

Guess they should have named it Independence Day 2: Battle in the Ocean and all would have been right in the world.
The name of the movie is obviously slaying everyone. :)

Dragon Tattoo
05-20-12, 10:18 PM
Totally, I want to see Hollywood remake Footloose and Karate Kid, or even Spiderman, that's what 5 years since the last one?

I find it hilarious that the only choices you can imagine are between "Battleship" and "Another remake"

Far be it for Hollywood to actually try making original movies anymore, or anything based on a fucking idea, like they used to.

Back to The Future wasn't based on a comic book or a board game. It was a concept. an actual original idea. Creative people should be making movies, using ideas created by using their imaginations. They shouldn't let their gaze fall over a Monopoly board and just go "Hey, whatever. I can do something with this."

Barth
05-20-12, 10:23 PM
I haven't seen Battleship so I can't really say whether it's based on the board game. I guess if so, the trailers aren't what the movie is about. I didn't see anyone in the trailer sitting at a table and shouting "B4" and the other person saying "Hit!".

TheMovieman
05-20-12, 10:26 PM
Quoted for the key phrase for the rest of the summer...

Avengers is already probably going to be the high point of the summer. The Dark Knight Rises will do about $350 to $375 million, but considering expectations...

fitprod

IMO, I think it'll get around $180M OW (being helped along since it'll be playing on just about every IMAX screen) and it's following a critical and audience hit in TDK (that OW adjusts to around $170M with inflation) and if WOM is good, it'll easily pass $400M domestically (I'm predicting around $480-490M), esp considering there's no competition for a couple of weeks...

RocShemp
05-20-12, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen Battleship so I can't really say whether it's based on the board game. I guess if so, the trailers aren't what the movie is about. I didn't see anyone in the trailer sitting at a table and shouting "B4" and the other person saying "Hit!".

"From Hasbro, the company that brought you G.I. Joe and Transformers." I think it's pretty obvious this is based on another Hasbro property that happens to be a board game called "Battleship". :shrug:

Guru Askew
05-20-12, 10:57 PM
"From Hasbro, the company that brought you G.I. Joe and Transformers." I think it's pretty obvious this is based on another Hasbro property that happens to be a board game called "Battleship". :shrug:

Yeah but you overlook the fact that it's actually from Hasbro's arty prestige division Hasbro Classics.

auto
05-20-12, 11:12 PM

Kurtie Dee
05-20-12, 11:16 PM
It's so odd, because everyone knows that toys are better than games. Hasbro has other toys, right?

These lame-o Hollywood Suits can't even be stupid right anymore.

The Bus
05-20-12, 11:26 PM
Nothing makes this more clear than Universal's braindead press team saying that it's “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. It was made for idiots.

Press team ≠ production team

Yup :up:

I think baracine's ghost has possessed Dragon Tattoo. In fact, I'm convinced of it. :up:

MIB 3 will open large on Will Smith's star status, but I also predict it will drop unless they have somehow gotten the mojo that made the first one so great back.

As everyone has said, Will Smith hasn't made a movie in years, and hasn't made a great movie in much, much longer.

Yeah but you overlook the fact that it's actually from Hasbro's arty prestige division Hasbro Classics.

<hr>

I stand by my original opinion: <b>Battleship</b> is much more entertaining than it deserves to be.

Matthew Chmiel
05-20-12, 11:40 PM
Men in Black 3 has to do more than $30 million next weekend to beat The Avengers and take the number one spot.

... and for those who argue its going to do more, both Battleship and Dark Shadows were being projected to have $40-50M opening weekends. Then The Avengers was released.

Yeti4623
05-21-12, 12:00 AM
Wow, The Avengers is is much bigger than I thought.

Rypro 525
05-21-12, 01:23 AM
Men in Black 3 has to do more than $30 million next weekend to beat The Avengers and take the number one spot.

... and for those who argue its going to do more, both Battleship and Dark Shadows were being projected to have $40-50M opening weekends. Then The Avengers was released.

per BOM Men In Black is being released in about 4,000 screens. which means its technically possible to see a 100 mil open (i highly doubt it)

Mr. Cinema
05-21-12, 03:12 AM

So you're guessing Men in Black 3 is going to only muster $30 million, right?

The difference between it and the other 2 is despite the 2nd film not being well received, MIB is still a well established franchise and it has the 3D surcharge going for it. Smith's name still helped a crappy part 2 earn $190 million in the US. He's been on hiatus, but he's still a top draw that can open blockbuster movies.

10 years has past. I think the bad taste from part 2 is gone. Low end this should at least get $50 million, but I think it'll earn over $60 million for the 3-day and maybe $75 million 4-day. Who knows. Maybe everyone has forgotten part 2 and is just excited Will Smith is in a Summer movie again and they may flock to theaters next weekend. And then it opens in the $85-$90 million range.

TGM
05-21-12, 06:18 AM
it's so cool to hate the mainstream.

Supermallet
05-21-12, 11:09 AM

You win. I'm giving you the key to the Movie Forum.

Shilex
05-21-12, 02:21 PM

That's weird. I read early word and people are saying it's pretty good with great production values. I did read some mixed reviews about the performances (mostly Charlize), but with almost all saying Kristen Stewert does a good job. I think she can be a good actress given the right role, but she does have a lack of personality and charisma (reminds me of Sam Worthington)

And back on topic, Battleship is for Pro-Choicers. Spider-man is for Pro-Lifers. Avengers is for everyone.

DonnachaOne
05-21-12, 02:40 PM
Whose early word are you hearing/reading, guys? Right now it's difficult to tell who's just prejudging based on the previews.

Shilex
05-21-12, 02:48 PM
There are actually some reviews on IMDB from users who claim to have seen an early cut. It's IMDB, so take that with a grain of salt, but a few reviews read pretty realistic (and not just like studio plants). Again, there's no way to really know until official reviews come out. Just keep an open mind ;)

DonnachaOne
05-21-12, 02:52 PM

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/148/49679138.png

The mark of quality.

Solid Snake
05-21-12, 03:10 PM
G1 represent!

brainee
05-21-12, 03:28 PM
And there goes the chance of ever seeing that Hungry Hungry Hippos movie :sad:

fujishig
05-21-12, 03:41 PM
The weird thing about basing a movie off of Battleship... where's the merchandising money going to come from? With Transformers and GI Joe there are new toys and whatnot, but are they going to be selling more board games with this?

brayzie
05-21-12, 03:44 PM
What I find funny about these weekly threads is that most people complain that Hollywood has run out of ideas and can only make remakes and sequels. Yet when they try something a bit new and throw a lot of money at it everyone here is glad it fails.

One could argue that to a degre, Hollywood has run out of ideas if they're turning to toy lines and board games to make multi-million dollar films out of. Supposedly the film has little to nothing in common with the game, so the studio just used the name to get people talking about it, which may have contributed something to it's bad box office.

Shannon Nutt
05-21-12, 03:52 PM
The weird thing about basing a movie off of Battleship... where's the merchandising money going to come from? With Transformers and GI Joe there are new toys and whatnot, but are they going to be selling more board games with this?

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images//AUTOIMAGES/H38955lg.jpg

DthRdrX
05-21-12, 03:58 PM

I saw Avengers again yesterday and Cinemark showed a Battleship board game ad before they played the trailers. The old Electronic Battleship game still looked better though.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-21-12, 04:03 PM
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images//AUTOIMAGES/H38955lg.jpg

I've also seen new versions of the board game where the ships on one board are alien ships.

Mr. Cinema
05-21-12, 04:03 PM
Boxoffice.com has the total budget for Battleship at $260 million. Ouch.

That's the last time Peter Berg is probably going to get a blank check, and I wonder if anyone at Universal has cleaned out their office.

DonnachaOne
05-21-12, 04:45 PM
Hollywood has run out of ideasThis is such a tired thing to say, and says more about the limited imagination of the complainer than the target of their scorn.

Hollywood never had ideas - that's why writers get hired - and has always milked what's popular and recognizable for whatever those properties are worth. 1931's Dracula wasn't the first or even best by that point. 1939's The Wizard of Oz was, what, the fifth adaptation? When folk tales and classic stories started getting adaptations for their recognition, they stopped being stories retold in new ways, and became brand-mining.

"Hollywood has run out of ideas" is as boring, bland, lazy and inert a phrase as "you should just turn your brain off and enjoy it", "it's not meant to be an award-winner", "firsties" or "Elizabeth Banks and Chris Pine movie". It's all in how the properties are handled - The Avengers is the biggest hit of the year and has entertained millions. If it were bad, you'd have a whole lot of armchair Kaels snapping up the chance to unleash their unique and sharp vitriol, echoing "another comic book adaptation? Hollywood has REALLY run out of ideas" across the internet message boards and twittersphere, meshing together into a formless taupe-colored cloud of white noise.

brayzie, I'm not suggesting, nor extremely heavily implying, that you're guilty of this yourself. It's just a line of thinking that makes no sense on a discussion board, because all it's for is to end discussion.

Solid Snake
05-21-12, 05:18 PM
firsties? *raised eyebrow*

DGibFen
05-21-12, 05:30 PM
Boxoffice.com has the total budget for Battleship at $260 million. Ouch.

That's the last time Peter Berg is probably going to get a blank check, and I wonder if anyone at Universal has cleaned out their office.

The overseas haul is already at 300+ million, so they should, at the very least, break even.

brayzie
05-21-12, 06:12 PM
brayzie, I'm not suggesting, nor extremely heavily implying, that you're guilty of this yourself. It's just a line of thinking that makes no sense on a discussion board, because all it's for is to end discussion.

No, I agree with you. If it weren't for remakes we wouldn't have films like Cronenberg's excellent "The Fly." Studios have always been putting out remakes, like the various "A Christmas Carol" adaptations.

However, I can see why people would lump BATTLESHIP with what they perceive to be Hollywood's lack of ideas. The studio based a big budget summer film off of a well known, but story-less board game. I guess it's more a case of Hollywood taking less risks with their films.

Had it been a tense, political/war suspense thriller people probably would mock it a lot less. It just feels strange to see a studio put out a film that looks pretty much like Transformers 4, but based it on a board game where two players put pegs into a grid.

fitprod
05-21-12, 07:24 PM
The overseas haul is already at 300+ million, so they should, at the very least, break even.

No... It's international haul is only around $225 miilion (assuming whatever dismal number it pulls for the past weekend), it will not hit $300 million internationally, and will be lucky to hit it world wide.

fitprod

Mr. Cinema
05-21-12, 07:43 PM
Studios don't get every penny from the box office. They still split it with the theaters, cast/directors if they have some kind of % deal on the gross, and I'm sure other production companies. And even overseas, I think they only get a portion of what's earned.

It'll be awhile before Universal breaks even on this film, if ever. I don't think video sales are going to help too much.

Artman
05-21-12, 11:21 PM
I'd say Universal's looking at a 100mill loss at least, though I doubt they'll advertise it like Disney did with JC. It's a little ironic that the very reason they probably greenlit the film is the same reason no one was excited to see it. (bland, generic, dull...) There has to be a middle ground between Scott Pilgrim and Battleship... c'mon execs it's your job to know this stuff.

Matthew Chmiel
05-22-12, 12:46 AM
There has to be a middle ground between Scott Pilgrim and Battleship... c'mon execs it's your job to know this stuff.
For this year alone, Universal has actually done quite decently.

American Reunion: $50M budget, $216M worldwide gross.
Contraband: $25M budget, $95M worldwide gross.
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax: $70M budget, $305M worldwide gross.
Safe House: $85M budget, $202M worldwide gross.

Whereas their other three films Big Miracle, The Five-Year Engagement and Wanderlust have bled money (and the latter two were produced by Apatow). There's been no stand out titles, but they collected a tidy profit until the release of Battleship. In fact, Battleship's loss will probably be covered by how much profit they made from those four films.

... and then Taylor Kitsch will continue to destroy the studio when they release Savages in July. ;)

Supermallet
05-22-12, 01:08 AM
I don't know why people have it in for Taylor Kitsch.

bluetoast
05-22-12, 01:16 AM
His demeanor in Battleship reminds me of Randy Quaid's son in Independence Day. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to that actor.

Artman
05-22-12, 01:18 AM
There's been no stand out titles, but they collected a tidy profit until the release of Battleship. In fact, Battleship's loss will probably be covered by how much profit they made from those four films.

But, by your own admission Bship pretty much wipes out the early year's hits right? A lot of good that did em... whoever greenlit or oversaw the marketing needs to be gone this week. It's an embarrassment no matter how you look at it.

DonnachaOne
05-22-12, 02:52 AM
His demeanor in Battleship reminds me of Randy Quaid's son in Independence Day. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to that actor.
James Duval? He's been in stuff. He's very nice in real life, until you casually berate Star Wars in front of him.

Guru Askew
05-22-12, 08:20 PM
Saw a Best Supporting Actress "For Your Consideration" ad featuring Rihanna today. It was in the back of a My Little Pony coloring book. Hassenfeld Brothers? More like Weinstein Brothers, am I right?

islandclaws
05-22-12, 08:43 PM

He's a friend of mine - still works a lot, mostly indie/arthouse stuff.

Hokeyboy
05-22-12, 09:03 PM
Saw a Best Supporting Actress "For Your Consideration" ad featuring Rihanna today. It was in the back of a My Little Pony coloring book. Hassenfeld Brothers? More like Weinstein Brothers, am I right?
Skippy Weinstein, maybe.

Anyway, I thought Taylor Kitsch acquitted himself fairly well in John Carter. He didn't stand out in any memorable way, but he was far, far from stinking the joint out. The role, as it was, was unfortunately underwritten. Would a stronger actor have elevated himself above the material? Most likely. But he was OK enough. The least of that film's problems, anyhow.

The broad had an agreeable dumper.

Matt
05-23-12, 02:36 AM

James Duval? He's been in stuff. He's very nice in real life, until you casually berate Star Wars in front of him.

He's a friend of mine - still works a lot, mostly indie/arthouse stuff.

He was Frank the Bunny! Funny on the Star Wars thing--I went to the first SW Celebration in Denver back before Episode I came out, and one day a bunch of us SW nerds went to have lunch with some of Hasbro's toy designers at Burger King. (It's a wonderful restaurant!) James was part of the group. I didn't talk to him much but remember him being very nice and quiet as we all sat around and listened to the Hasbro people tell their stories. It was pretty neat--probably my favorite memory from that whole weekend.

PenguinJoe
05-23-12, 02:54 AM
it's so cool to hate the mainstream.

Actually it kind of is when they release bland garbage, if they were ballsy enough to release more movies like Inception, Up, or Adaptation or Girl With The Dragon Tattoo people wouldn't hate as much. But instead we get shitty alien invasion movies Battle: LA, Skyline, Cowboys & Aliens, shitty superhero movies Ghostrider 2, Punisher 1 & @, Capt. America, Green Lantern, and shitty over the top wanna comedies The Change Up, American Reunion, She's Out of My League, Project X. And they wonder why more people are watching stuff like Mad Men, Dexter, Game of Thrones. IT'S ORIGINAL.

Matthew Chmiel
05-23-12, 03:06 AM
Actually it kind of is when they release bland garbage, if they were ballsy enough to release more movies like Inception, Up, or Adaptation or Girl With The Dragon Tattoo people wouldn't hate as much. But instead we get shitty alien invasion movies Battle: LA, Skyline, Cowboys & Aliens, shitty superhero movies Ghostrider 2, Punisher 1 & @, Capt. America, Green Lantern, and shitty over the top wanna comedies The Change Up, American Reunion, She's Out of My League, Project X. And they wonder why more people are watching stuff like Mad Men, Dexter, Game of Thrones. IT'S ORIGINAL.
You realize that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is based on a novel that was adapted on film in its native country no less than five years ago, right? Not an "original" concept in the least as it was the second adaptation of the source material.

Captain America: The First Avenger was a lot of fun and I thought Project X was a fucking blast as it was an 80-minute descent into madness.

I'm not asking everything to be on par with Christopher Nolan. However, I'm looking for entertainment that doesn't treat the audience as if they're the lowest common denominator. There's a clear reason why The Avengers is dominating the box office and Battleship was sunk on arrival.

The Bus
05-23-12, 06:15 AM

So, you praise the non-original movies, then lament the fact that we get original sci-fi movies? What?

Jaymole
05-23-12, 08:28 AM
If anyone wants to blame someone for why so many crappy films are coming out of Hollywood, they should be blaming the people who go see the crap. I'm always astounded at the amount of money some of these POS movies make. The only way Hollywood is going to change their formula is when people stop going to see shitty films.

Audiences wallets do the talking in Hollywood and I can't blame them for not trying as hard as they could in putting out an original, halfway intelligent, quality films. It's nice to see an over bloated bad idea executed to appeal to the LCD fail like Battleship did, but regrettably that sometimes feels like it is more of the exception than the rule.

TGM
05-23-12, 09:45 AM
I simply have a problem with people blatantly calling films like this "shitty". I think boring 17th century melodrama's are shitty. I think stereotypical fat old black lady films are shitty. I think Mel Brooks movies are shitty. But ya know what? there's an audience for everything. I just think that people would have more of a gripe if the makers of Battleship were trying to get it in the running for some sort of (non-technical) Academy award, and were bitching and moaining all along the process. They set out to make a goofy Summer action flick, and by most accounts, they've succeeded, um maybe not financially, in that (meaning: those who have actually seen it - of which I am not one - come out liking it more than they thought they would).

Why do people feel that the industry of movies has to always be such a serious fucking affair? Why does it all have to be cerebral and arthouse? again, movies are ESCAPISM, and different strokes for different folks people.

RichC2
05-23-12, 09:48 AM
Escapist fun still sells, though people are starting to expect more out of their movies as so much has been rehashed.

Battleship has made $215m overseas, and is closing in on $250m worldwide. It isn't doing amazing business but isn't a complete bomb either that shows there's an audience for it.

Hokeyboy
05-23-12, 10:17 AM
If you can't see the difference between quality escapism (The Avengers, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, etc.) and shithead escapism (Battleship, Battle: LA, etc.), then I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

TGM
05-23-12, 10:23 AM
If you can't see the difference between quality escapism (The Avengers, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, etc.) and shithead escapism (Battleship, Battle: LA, etc.), then I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

so you've seen Battleship then? I mean, it's really the only way you (or anyone) is qualified to comment on it.

RichC2
05-23-12, 10:54 AM

There's obviously more to it than that, but tbh, Battleship and Battle:LA aren't in the same category at all. Battleship is professionally made fun cheese. Battle LA is a film school grade movie with higher budget effects. Skyline is a film school "this is why I'm dropping out of film school" piece.

Shannon Nutt
05-23-12, 10:59 AM
I've seen BATTLESHIP...it's about the same quality as a Roland Emmerich movie. Which is to say, not great...but better than a Michael Bay movie. :)
It's really a B-movie with an A-movie budget. I don't regret seeing it at all (and will probably buy it on Blu-ray).

Tom Creo
05-23-12, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Project X sucked.