DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Cleaning out Jules' DVD Shelf: Troy

Jules Winfield
05-16-12, 12:51 PM
I have a shit load of dvds and blu-rays. Not as many as some of you I'm sure but the point is some of this shit has to go. So, I want to take a poll and hear some of your thoughts on Troy. I'm pretty busy and really don't have the time to sit down and watch the whole movie. I'll probably just watch bits and pieces here and there but I feel I'm not going to accurately judge the movie as a whole. So, anyone like Troy? Is it stupid? Give me your thoughts on Troy and based on your responses, I'll either keep it or get rid of it.

Solid Snake
05-16-12, 12:53 PM
Which version of Troy?

Screwadu
05-16-12, 12:54 PM
I liked Troy, lots of boobies bouncing around.

Jules Winfield
05-16-12, 12:58 PM
Which version of Troy?

I have the theatrical cut dvd.

wishbone
05-16-12, 12:59 PM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8288/helenoftroy28dianekrc3b.jpg

Diane (Heid)Krüger :drool:

Defiant1
05-16-12, 01:02 PM
Assuming this is the one with Brad Pitt, I'd say toss it. I own it on HD DVD and have only seen it once and have no desire to see it again. I thought the performances ranged from decent (Eric Bana and the old British actors) to mediocre (Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Diane Kruger). Pitt in particular is bad as the lead. Period films like this are outside of his acting range. Nice muscles though!

Overall production values are adequate for a big budget film but are nothing spectacular (compare to Kingdom of Heaven or Alexander, both of which look far superior). The battle scenes are also weak with large CGI armies doing their thing.

My biggest complaint about the movie was the exclusion of the gods and their actions. The Trojan War is my favourite Greek myth and I loved reading about the various gods aiding and interfering with the mortals on the battlefield. Taking them out of the story and focusing on dull characters like Paris and Helen (her face couldn't launch a dinghy, let alone 1000 ships) was a detriment IMO.

TomOpus
05-16-12, 01:04 PM
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Jules Winfield
05-16-12, 01:07 PM
Assuming this is the one with Brad Pitt, I'd say toss it.

It is indeed the one with Brad Pitt. I didn't know there was another movie named Troy.

wishbone
05-16-12, 01:12 PM
(Helen of) Troy (http://www.umich.edu/~homeros/Representations%20of%20Homer%27s%20Ideas/Films%20of%20the%20Epics.htm).

Dr Mabuse
05-16-12, 01:15 PM
The director's cut is a keeper, the theatrical not so much.

Ash Ketchum
05-16-12, 01:41 PM
Not only should you keep it--I remember enjoying it in a theater when it came out--but you should get every other movie you can find about the Trojan War, including the aforementioned HELEN OF TROY (1955), starring the luscious Rossana Podesta, and THE TROJAN HORSE (1961), starring Steve Reeves, with Drew Barrymore's father as Ulysses. And a sort of sequel, but made earlier, ULYSSES (1954), with Kirk Douglas, Silvana Mangano and Anthony Quinn.

And then read Homer's "The Iliad." C'mon, fellas, let's study the classics here!

(And you can do all this for next month's DVD Talk Historical Challenge over on the DVD Talk board.)
:D

kefrank
05-16-12, 01:50 PM
Never saw the Director's Cut, but the Theatrical is a laughably atrocious pile in my opinion.

d2cheer
05-16-12, 02:39 PM
So we can expect this to be the first of many usefull polls about your collection??

Fuck yea!! :rock:

Jules Winfield
05-18-12, 05:12 PM
So we can expect this to be the first of many usefull polls about your collection??

Fuck yea!! :rock:

Yes, we're going to get fully in depth with my DVD/blu-ray collection. We'll be having multi-page dissections of the Three Ninja movies, determining which Puppet Master movie has the most nudity and whether or not that is frosting or dried splooge on the cover of my Pinochhio blu ray. Hope you guys enjoy!

Jules Winfield
05-18-12, 05:14 PM
What is better in the directors cut? Does it make the movie a bonafide classic or is it just okay?

wishbone
05-18-12, 05:30 PM
What is better in the directors cut? Does it make the movie a bonafide classic or is it just okay?From the DVD Talk review (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/30134/troy-directors-cut/), In short, this Troy waves a much more epic, sexy, brutal, and beautiful flag that heartily grabs your attention.The director's cut is better but it's not vastly superior like the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/21647/kingdom-of-heaven-the-directors-cut/) over its theatrical version. :shrug:

Lateralus
05-18-12, 06:06 PM
Even though they killed off my favorite Greek hero Ajax, I still enjoyed the movie.

riotinmyskull
05-18-12, 06:13 PM
please stop making these threads. fuck.

if you want to post bullshit like this then put it in the DVD Reviews and Recommendations sub-forum

TGM
05-18-12, 07:33 PM
Should Jules take a bath with a toaster? My sources say yes!

Jules Winfield
05-18-12, 07:52 PM

if you want to post bullshit like this then put it in the DVD Reviews and Recommendations sub-forum

No, I'm not going to stop. Troy is a movie, yes? I didn't review it and I'm not recommending it. If a mod tells me to stop, then I will. I haven't been told yet so I'm not going to. I know that you're so fed up with me that you just can't take it anymore. Tough. I'll be around for a while, not all the time but I'll be here. If that bugs you, I have no control over that. I am not going to intentionally go after you and post wacky things so don't worry. If I post a wacky thing in a thread, it's because I forgot who you were. A thousand apologies in advance.

GreenVulture
05-18-12, 08:07 PM
Give me your thoughts on Troy and based on your responses, I'll either keep it or get rid of it.
You don't see anything wrong in letting other people dictate your taste in movies?

Jules Winfield
05-18-12, 08:07 PM
Should Jules take a bath with a toaster? My sources say yes!

Eh.

Screwadu
05-18-12, 08:08 PM
Quest for Fire, do that one next. Rae Dawn Chong is nekkie all through it!

Jules Winfield
05-18-12, 08:52 PM
You don't see anything wrong in letting other people dictate your taste in movies?

Not for Troy, no. If it for a movie I loved, I wouldn't do a thread like this. I would just one of my very popular Jules reviews threads instead. :pHonestly, just trying to do something different.

starman9000
05-18-12, 09:03 PM
Watch it up until Pitt stabs 'Goliath' then sell it.

inri222
05-18-12, 10:18 PM
Have you tossed that piece of shit in the garbage yet?
If not, do it now!!! Horrible fucking movie.

GreenVulture
05-18-12, 11:39 PM
Have you tossed that piece of shit in the garbage yet?
If not, do it now!!! Horrible fucking movie.
By the way, this man here has the right idea. Casting a pair of charisma voids like Orlando Bloom and Diane Kruger was a very bad idea, as was letting Brad Pitt A) do...something resembling a vague accent and B) do anything in the film that required him to emote (always a dicey issue with Pitt in any dramatic movie).

Besides, Peter O'Toole hated the movie and hated working with Wolfgang Petersen. If O'Toole thinks that the film he appeared in--and was pretty much the only aspect of the movie that received universal praise--was total shit, then you should, too.

arminius
05-19-12, 07:52 AM
By the way, this man here has the right idea. Casting a pair of charisma voids like Orlando Bloom and Diane Kruger was a very bad idea, as was letting Brad Pitt A) do...something resembling a vague accent and B) do anything in the film that required him to emote (always a dicey issue with Pitt in any dramatic movie).

Besides, Peter O'Toole hated the movie and hated working with Wolfgang Petersen. If O'Toole thinks that the film he appeared in--and was pretty much the only aspect of the movie that received universal praise--was total shit, then you should, too.

I never heard that. What happened?

GreenVulture
05-19-12, 12:33 PM
I never heard that. What happened?
No specifics were given, but here's a brief article from 2004 (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/news?year=2004):
But the 72-year-old Irish actor hated working with German film-maker Peterson and was disappointed with the finished product. He says, "Ugh, what a disaster. The director, that Kraut, what a clown he was. When it was all over, I watched 15 minutes of the finished movie and then walked out. At least I had one good scene."

nando820
05-21-12, 05:50 PM
you could potentially be wasting more time posting shit here than watching the damn movie

Supermallet
05-21-12, 06:11 PM
Neither cut is great, frankly, but the DC is better. Toss it.

whoopdido
05-21-12, 11:11 PM
I have a shit load of dvds and blu-rays. Not as many as some of you I'm sure but the point is some of this shit has to go. So, I want to take a poll and hear some of your thoughts on Troy. I'm pretty busy and really don't have the time to sit down and watch the whole movie. I'll probably just watch bits and pieces here and there but I feel I'm not going to accurately judge the movie as a whole. So, anyone like Troy? Is it stupid? Give me your thoughts on Troy and based on your responses, I'll either keep it or get rid of it.

You don't have enough time to sit and watch a movie for 2 hours? If that's true then you should get rid of all your movies. Why own them if you won't/can't watch them?

You sound like a guy that has purchased a bunch of movies you're "supposed" to own. Let me guess, you own a bunch of Criterion and "important" or "classic" movies but either haven't watched them or don't enjoy them.

Jules Winfield
05-22-12, 11:01 AM
You don't have enough time to sit and watch a movie for 2 hours? If that's true then you should get rid of all your movies. Why own them if you won't/can't watch them?

You sound like a guy that has purchased a bunch of movies you're "supposed" to own. Let me guess, you own a bunch of Criterion and "important" or "classic" movies but either haven't watched them or don't enjoy them.

I own movies that I like which I do see alot and some that I got as gifts that I do not see a lot, haven't seen, or only seen once. Troy is a gift movie. Next time, I'm going to post a detailed post about the DVD in question. Starting from when the writer types the first letter of the script to when a friend gives it to me as a gift because I watched his house for him while on vacation to when I post the damned thread on here asking if I should keep it or not.

I've bought movies where my opinions have changed on it and ones where I don't mind letting you buttholes decide their fate. So, yeah, I don't have time to watch Troy. Whoopdidoo.

Jules Winfield
05-22-12, 11:30 AM
Plus, I was only gonna do one of these but d2cheer is so psyched about the potential of this thread as a series of threads so now, I'm gonna have to go through my criterions, important movies and classics that I don't really like.:(

jfoobar
05-22-12, 12:37 PM

Agreed. I can barely wade through the pages of new threads that are created on this forum every day without having Jules add to the deluge.

Oh wait, not so much.

Keep it up, Jules. :up:

Dr Mabuse
05-22-12, 01:10 PM
Neither cut is great, frankly, but the DC is better. Toss it.

Yeah it's not a great film either way, but the DC cut is much better, and there are a number of things I like about the movie.

JayDerek
05-22-12, 01:39 PM
The director's cut is a keeper, the theatrical not so much.

this.