Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

i think i might give up on the boys by garth ennis

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think i might give up on the boys by garth ennis

does anyone here still read it, if you ever did? i know he is not that popular an author anymore but i have liked him since punisher and i did enjoy the first half dozen volumes or so.

clever concept (cia group of powers whose job is to be able to bring down other groups of powers for the government) plus good ideas that have also been done elsewhere (corporate sponsored teams) plus knockoffs of famous characters and so on.

lots of sex and violence and funny dialogue and decent art. but i had trouble getting through volume 9 which was very dense with boring backstory and too many threads to follow and now i have volume 10 sitting here which i am thinking of just selling without even reading. i used to be excited about this series!
Old 05-15-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: i think i might give up on the boys by garth ennis

Isnt the series ending soon anyway? I remember reading he has a planned story like in Preacher. I still love Ennis, and am currently reading his Jennifer Blood.
Old 05-15-12, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Isnt the series ending soon anyway? I remember reading he has a planned story like in Preacher. I still love Ennis, and am currently reading his Jennifer Blood.
good question. i like jennifer blood, and i did not know the boys has an ending. that makes it tempting to push through but i dunno...
Old 05-15-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The last issue of The Boys will be issue 72.
Old 05-16-12, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volume 12 will be the last collection.
Old 05-16-12, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by dishpan
does anyone here still read it, if you ever did? i know he is not that popular an author anymore but i have liked him since punisher and i did enjoy the first half dozen volumes or so.

clever concept (cia group of powers whose job is to be able to bring down other groups of powers for the government) plus good ideas that have also been done elsewhere (corporate sponsored teams) plus knockoffs of famous characters and so on.

lots of sex and violence and funny dialogue and decent art. but i had trouble getting through volume 9 which was very dense with boring backstory and too many threads to follow and now i have volume 10 sitting here which i am thinking of just selling without even reading. i used to be excited about this series!
I buy the comics, so I'm not sure what's in volume 9. If it's the story arc where Mallory is telling a bunch of World War II backstory to Hughie, then, yeah, that's a tough one to get through.

The series DOES pick up, though. Everything came to a major head in the penultimate arc, "Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men," and we've now started the final arc. If you've enjoyed it so far, don't give up yet. It gets back on track.
--
Okay, just looked these up on Amazon.

Volume 9 does contain "Barbary Coast" which was the WWII stuff that seemed to drag on forever and was only barely relevant the main arc of the series.

Volumes 8 (Highland Laddie) and Volume 9 (The Big Ride) are kind of a mess. The Highland Laddie miniseries, detailing Hughie's backstory, was kind of weak except for the flashbacks to Annie's childhood. And I think material contained in "The Big Ride" might have suffered because this where Darick Robertson ended up leaving the series under what might have been some conflict with Ennis and/or Dynamite. (Robertson was apparently unhappy that they were using a fill-in artist while he was working on the Butcher miniseries and might have quit drawing the main title over it.)

Volume 10 is the Butcher origin miniseries, and it's quite good. (Though I never quite bought the relationship between Billy Butcher and his wife.)
Old 05-16-12, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I buy the comics, so I'm not sure what's in volume 9. If it's the story arc where Mallory is telling a bunch of World War II backstory to Hughie, then, yeah, that's a tough one to get through.

The series DOES pick up, though. Everything came to a major head in the penultimate arc, "Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men," and we've now started the final arc. If you've enjoyed it so far, don't give up yet. It gets back on track.
--
Okay, just looked these up on Amazon.

Volume 9 does contain "Barbary Coast" which was the WWII stuff that seemed to drag on forever and was only barely relevant the main arc of the series.

Volumes 8 (Highland Laddie) and Volume 9 (The Big Ride) are kind of a mess. The Highland Laddie miniseries, detailing Hughie's backstory, was kind of weak except for the flashbacks to Annie's childhood. And I think material contained in "The Big Ride" might have suffered because this where Darick Robertson ended up leaving the series under what might have been some conflict with Ennis and/or Dynamite. (Robertson was apparently unhappy that they were using a fill-in artist while he was working on the Butcher miniseries and might have quit drawing the main title over it.)

Volume 10 is the Butcher origin miniseries, and it's quite good. (Though I never quite bought the relationship between Billy Butcher and his wife.)
thanks for the info josh

since i own volume 10 i might just skip to that and give it a try before making a final decision, especially if there is only one or two more volumes