Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dayz mod - Multiplayer Open World Zombie Survival (PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-14-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found out about this mod through PC gamer. It looks pretty awesome. It's a multiplayer mod for Arma 2 (Operation Arrowhead) that drops you into one of the game's massive islands with only a handful of survival gear, surrounded by hundreds of fast zombies and other human survivors. There are RPG elements so bodies can be raided and there are all sorts of items and weapons to use (parts to repair cars, etc.). It looks like an open ended mod, so there is no goal, but once you die in a server you are... dead, and need to reconnect. The fun in the game seems to be coming across other players and seeing if they are friendly or not. You can kill other players and steal their loot, then you become a "bandit". And of course also surviving the zombies.

Anyway, I only tried installing it last night and haven't been able to get it to work yet. Has anyone else heard about this or started playing? Gonna try and get it to work tonight if anyone wants to team up? Check it out:

http://www.dayzmod.com/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/12/fo...-survival-mod/

Last edited by Nausicaa; 05-14-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Dayz mod - Multiplayer Open World Zombie Survival (PC)

I started a thread about it a couple of weeks ago. It looks great to me...
More people are playing this mod than standard Arma II scenarios.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...ombie-mod.html

I was all set to pull the trigger and try it out but it's still in alpha stage and rough around the edges.
Plus Arma III is supposed to release this year and I wanted to see if they'll have a day Z mod for it.

Keep us updated once you get it working...

Last edited by covenant; 05-14-12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 10:03 AM

Ha! I didn't even do a search since there are so few PC gamers here.

I finally got it to work last night. One of those easy fixes that makes you feel like an idiot for spending 4 hours troubleshooting the night before. Pretty easy mod install overall.

Fortunately, I had no trouble connecting to any servers like a lot of people, although I was disconnected once or twice.

All I can say is that this mod is awesome. It will only appeal to a certain kind of gamer, but there isn't really anything else like it.

You spawn on a (random?) beach with a pistol, six mags, two bandages, some flares, painkillers, water, beans, and that's it. You have to monitor your hunger, thirst, and pain throughout the game.

It won't be long before you come across a zombie, there is a counter up top and it always hovers around 600+ active zombies. The tend to be concentrated in urban areas. Running into a town is a death sentence, and it won't be long before you have 20+ zombies chasing you - at which point you might as well just stop and let them kill you.

The health system is really cool. Zombies hit you and do damage, and after a while they make you bleed. Then your health drains until you bandage yourself. This can be catastrophic if you are being chased and can't stop to patch up. You pass out after a while. Falls result in broken bones. You need to use pain killers, morphine, and blood packs to heal yourself.

Unfortunately, most of these items can only be scavenged in cities, so you will be forced to use stealth to get around.

The game is so popular at this point, most human players are pretty friendly. I have, however been picked off by unseen snipers a few times. But most people seem to help.

I found a guy last night who lead me safely into a big city to a bunch of medical tents where I was able to stock up on supplied and better weapons.

The cool thing is you have a limited inventory, so you can really only carry a pistol and one main weapon it seems (in addition to your health and food items), and you will never accumulate much ammo.

Anyway, I'm getting long winded here. But I highly recommend this mod - hope one of your guys get it so we can team up.

Only downside is night time. The game is a 1:1 day/night cycle. It depends on the server, so you can find day servers when it is night where you live, but if you DO play on a night server, it is impossible to see anything. You are forced to turn the gamma up all the way. This can be kind of cool too though because the picture gets all blown out, and it kind of feels like Blair Witch or something. Incredibly spooky.
Old 05-15-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the review. I'm actually more interested in this than some of the new AAA titles coming out. The only thing that turns me off is the general quirkyness of Arma games.
Old 05-16-12, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I was planning on playing Diablo III all week, but I haven't even bothered to download it yet - so consumed have I been by DayZ. It is seriously wild.

I had a great play session last night. Managed to survive for a few hours across servers and collected a bunch of good loot, including a bigger back pack, lots of flares and a sniper rifle with a few mags of ammo.

I had heard lots of bandits were hanging out by the coast, looking for fresh spawns to kill. I decided I was going to put a stop to that.

It was night, so I went from my safehouse in a nearby barn down near the coast, on the outskirts of the biggest city in the map where most people spawn. I camped out in the edge of a forest up on a hillside overlooking the coast. I saw a flare out on the dock and a bandit running past. What LUCK!!!

So I tossed a flare of my own down by the road in between the hill and the docks. Naturally the bandit thinks it's a n00b, and moves through the Brush into position. I saw him stop in a bush in between the roads, waiting for someone to walk out into the light.

But no, I emptied one round into his head, and that was it. First bandit killed. I waited for the lights to die out and crawled down to his body and collected more loot.

I went back to my position and hung around for a bit. Some of his bandit buddies stopped by to collect their friends supplies. Big mistake. I tossed out another flare and surprised them. I killed one as they tried to escape.

I ended up chasing the team down the coast, but never found the rest of them. And I died in the stupidest way possible. Crawling through a small town I realized I was suddenly surrounded by zombies. At the same time, I had neglected to eat or drink anything for a while. So my character started panting heavily. Ended up alerting the zombies and I was quickly cornered and overrun.

So, in the end I've come to love night time. You can't see much of anything, but that is kind of the thrill. Figuring out when it is safe to use a flare or chem lite. Moving quietly, and sneaking up on bandits!!
Old 05-16-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great interview with the mods creator:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/16/da...story-machine/
Old 05-16-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I wish they would make this game for the consoles. I would be all over this.
Old 05-22-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally took the plunge. Great game except for nighttime. Simply useless trying to accomplish anything in the dark.
Right now I'm hold up in a warehouse next to the shore in some village. I keep clearing out zombies who wander too close, 18 kills so far. But I've gotten injured in the process and it's freezing out tonight.
Old 07-30-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

It looks like people are still discovering this mod.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/07/30
Old 07-30-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lhNFjGyYS7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The mod has hit 900,000 unique users:
http://zoknowsgaming.com/2012/08/02/...-unique-users/

Also, the developer of the mod is looking into converting it to a standalone game that he will charge a low price for:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/24/once...story-of-dayz/
Old 12-23-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The standalone version is now available as an Alpha on Steam Early Access:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/

The developer is warning that the Early Access version is currently a true Alpha and that "buying early will be a recipe for disappointment," for those expecting a fully playable game.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...z-early-access
Old 12-23-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm still cautious of early access games. Paying for a game before it's even finished? What happens if it never gets released? I know for Day Z it's a very good chance of coming out but for the other games...
Old 12-23-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I'm still cautious of early access games. Paying for a game before it's even finished? What happens if it never gets released? I know for Day Z it's a very good chance of coming out but for the other games...
There's a certain degree of risk involved, of course. There doesn't seem to be a guarantee that the games in Early Access will be "finished":
http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

Of course, I think Steam probably takes a look at the likelyhood of a final release before putting a game up on Early Access, but they're not likely to filter out every potential failure.

It appeals to a certain type of gamer; one that likes to get in on the "ground floor" of a game and watch it as it develops, and possibly help steer that development with feedback.

It also depends a bit on the playability of the early builds. My understanding of Minecraft is that a lot of people were having a lot of fun with that game even when it was still in "alpha". Likewise, Kerbal Space Program offered a lot of unguided play in its early access sandbox mode. With those games, I think a lot of the later build were just adding in functionality rather than stability, and many people were getting their "money's worth" out of those early builds, even if the game never got "finished."

It's all up to the individual of course. Similar to Kickstarter, where you can give money to a game often before it's even started, Early Access can help provide a developer with the funding for a game in exchange for the player taking a bit of a risk and getting a reward of some sort.