DVD Talk
Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut @ The New Beverly June 10th! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut @ The New Beverly June 10th!

Why So Blu?
05-13-12, 03:14 PM
Bloody Disguting and others are reporting:

The “director’s cut” of Clive Barker’s Nightbreed has been a highly sought-after and highly intangible experience for horror fans ever since the film’s release over two decades ago. And while those seeking it out may not have crossed the finish line quite yet, there’s now a “Cabal Cut” which may be the closest we ever get to Barker’s original vision. And it’s playing LA’s New Beverly Cinema on June 10th, hosted by Days of the Dead.

“In 2009 Seraphim’s Mark Miller contacted Morgan Creek and found out that there may well be more to the Myth than anyone had thought. Two European encoded VHS tapes were discovered and sent to Phil and Sarah Stokes, who run Clive Barker’s website, Revelations. They viewed the tapes and saw what nobody had seen in almost 2 decades; additional Nightbreed footage. Phil and Sarah transferred the footage to DVD and, with Clive’s approval, announced to the world that missing footage for Clive’s film had been found. Inspired to see Clive’s original vision come to light, filmmaker Russell Cherrington, longtime friend of Clive Barker and Seraphim, took the DVD back to England and, working with editor Jimmi Johnson and Clive Barker’s original Script, created the new cut ofNightbreed composited from two the VHS sources and the original Warner Brothers DVD. The original cinema release of Nightbreed was fused with the workprint to create The Cabal Cut.”

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3142497/the-cabal-cut-of-nightbreed-to-screen-in-los-angeles-june-10th-check-out-the-trailer/

My body is ready.

DaveyJoe
05-13-12, 03:20 PM
I don't know if I want to see footage from a 20 year old VHS tape inserted into a movie.

Why So Blu?
05-13-12, 03:21 PM
I don't know if I want to see footage from a 20 year old VHS tape inserted into a movie.

This is better than nothing. And after 20 fucking years, I'll take it.

Dr. DVD
05-13-12, 04:05 PM
Any word on just how much new footage this cut contains?

Supermallet
05-13-12, 04:06 PM
Holy shit. I'll be seeing that.

Why So Blu?
05-13-12, 05:21 PM
Any word on just how much new footage this cut contains?

It's rumored to be the 3 hour cut. We'll see.

BuddyRevell
05-13-12, 05:23 PM
I'm stoked on this..but I could hardly see anything in that trailer. I can't imagine how it would look on a giant screen.

Josh-da-man
05-13-12, 11:18 PM
DVD, please!

DonnachaOne
05-13-12, 11:43 PM
I saw the workprint at a Horror convention and was quite interested, though many other people checked out of the screening of the unscored, unfinished flick pretty early.

asianxcore
05-14-12, 02:12 PM
Damn, do I need to think about a road trip to SoCal?

islandclaws
05-15-12, 01:22 PM
Hmmm... I've got some friends who are heavily involved in getting this cut out there. I've heard the quality is shit, and that there's a lot of extra footage that should have remained "cut", but I'm still curious. If nothing else, it'll be a damn fun time at the New Bev.

dullboy
05-30-12, 01:21 PM
Chicago in July:
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/chicago-to-get-rarer-than-rare-screening-of-restored-nightbreed-the-cabal-cut.php

Pointyskull
07-10-12, 02:22 PM
Chicago in July:
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/chicago-to-get-rarer-than-rare-screening-of-restored-nightbreed-the-cabal-cut.php

I won a pair of tickets for the Friday showing. wOOt!

DeputyDave
07-10-12, 02:32 PM
I loved the original story and hated the original movie. Although additional stuff could make it better I'm not sure how it would elevate a fairly bad movie to greatness... but then, it's been 20 years since I saw it so I could be wrong.

Pointyskull
07-10-12, 02:35 PM
I loved the original story and hated the orignal movie. Although aditional stuff could make it better I'm not sure how it elevate it to greatness... but then, it's been 20 years since I saw it so I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat sort of, except that I remember loving the movie. Sure, it didn't hold a candle to the original story, but the movie version did make somewhat of an impression on me. Last - and only - time I saw it was in a theater 20 years ago. I remember being floored by the makeup effects (to the point I bought a couple of 'Nightbreed' books with large color photos from the film).

Good/bad/otherwise I'm curious to see this new cut...

Supermallet
10-24-13, 09:58 PM
I forgot to update this, but the Cabal cut of Nightbreed will actually be screening this Saturday, October 26th, at the Egyptian Theater as part of The American Cinematheque's Beyond Fest. Clive Barker will be there for a Q&A as well.

Tickets are still available at Brown Paper Tickets, and I highly recommend anyone who is interested to go. I've been tweeting with the Beyond Fest guys and they are beyond psyched for this screening. I already have my ticket.

Dr. DVD
10-26-13, 11:33 AM
Any chance they will ever get the Cabal cut out on BR? Granted, I would rather not have it than it be the movie we have with a bunch of unfinished/grainy footage inserted like they did with Dune, but I am always hopeful.

Why So Blu?
10-26-13, 11:35 AM
Any chance they will ever get the Cabal cut out on BR? Granted, I would rather not have it than it be the movie we have with a bunch of unfinished/grainy footage inserted like they did with Dune, but I am always hopeful.

I believe Clive Barker is working with Scream Factory directly to get a super fully loaded set out on BD in 2014.

It's happening.

Why So Blu?
10-26-13, 11:37 AM
I forgot to update this, but the Cabal cut of Nightbreed will actually be screening this Saturday, October 26th, at the Egyptian Theater as part of The American Cinematheque's Beyond Fest. Clive Barker will be there for a Q&A as well.

Tickets are still available at Brown Paper Tickets, and I highly recommend anyone who is interested to go. I've been tweeting with the Beyond Fest guys and they are beyond psyched for this screening. I already have my ticket.

You know what else screening tonight? At The New Beverly? Halloween 666 - the original cut in 35 mm. It's supposedly a one night only event to gauge response as to whether or not Dimension should release it on BD.

hanshotfirst1138
10-26-13, 12:41 PM
What is the difference in 666 cut? God, I fucking live in the wrong place.

Why So Blu?
10-26-13, 01:02 PM
What is the difference in 666 cut? God, I fucking live in the wrong place.

This:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/10/25/la-see-the-original-cut-of-halloween-6-on-35mm-tomorrow

Josh-da-man
10-26-13, 04:06 PM
I believe Clive Barker is working with Scream Factory directly to get a super fully loaded set out on BD in 2014.

It's happening.

Yes, it's official. Scream Factory did announce they're working on it for a release next year, but they don't have a firm date yet.

hanshotfirst1138
10-26-13, 04:14 PM
This: http://badassdigest.com/2013/10/25/la-see-the-original-cut-of-halloween-6-on-35mm-tomorrow

Oh, this is the famous "Producer's Cut" of Halloween 6 which has long kicked around on bootleg? I was assuming this was the Carpenter original, what I get for not paying attention.

Why So Blu?
10-26-13, 05:13 PM
Oh, this is the famous "Producer's Cut" of Halloween 6 which has long kicked around on bootleg? I was assuming this was the Carpenter original, what I get for not paying attention.

In actual 35 mm elements, which means that it's the finished product. I'm bummed I have other plans and can't go. Hell, I can't even get to The Egyptian for Nightbreed.

Supermallet
10-26-13, 05:42 PM
I saw that the producer's cut of Halloween 6 is showing, but really, I'd have to be a masochist to want to see that. I can barely sit through Halloween II.

Why So Blu?
10-26-13, 07:47 PM
I saw that the producer's cut of Halloween 6 is showing, but really, I'd have to be a masochist to want to see that. I can barely sit through Halloween II.

I just recently saw, what may be considered the best version of it, and think this actual studio 35 mm version will make for a neat event. They hyped it that if it sold out or generated a lot of interest they may put it out in the future. Who knows.

hanshotfirst1138
10-26-13, 08:33 PM
Hey, pretty much anything screened in 35mm is an event these days, sadly.

Anyway, this is all very well, but where's the director's cut of The Exorcist III: Legion? That'd get me much more excited, but it's obviously lost and not happening.

Supermallet
10-26-13, 08:40 PM
I just recently saw, what may be considered the best version of it, and think this actual studio 35 mm version will make for a neat event. They hyped it that if it sold out or generated a lot of interest they may put it out in the future. Who knows.

I'm being too critical. I'm sure for fans it's a big deal, but I'm very antagonistic toward any of the Halloween sequels, except III.

Supermallet
10-26-13, 10:20 PM
The screening has an after party with free drinks! Part if me wonders if I'm going to end up growing spines or something.

It's a trap!

Supermallet
10-27-13, 03:36 AM
Well, that was certainly interesting. We were told that this was the "kitchen sink" version, which basically incorporated all of the found footage. They said that the Blu-ray release will be more of a "director's cut" which will be whittled down to a more manageable run time (this version was about 2.5 hours). This clearly wasn't a finished product, as the new footage was sourced from a VHS, and even the existing footage had been sourced from a DVD. I got the impression that the Blu-ray release would look better.

As for the movie itself, here are the main differences:

1. Ashberry doesn't resurrect Decker.
2. Lori forces Boone to turn her into Nightbreed by stabbing herself when he tries to part with her.
3. Decker kills Narcisse.

The rest of the changes were extensions, added creatures, more character moments, etc. There's also a lot of stuff in the sheriff's department that they would be wise to cut for the home video release.

Watching it in this version, I'd say that the problems with Nightbreed run deeper than studio interference. While the film is wildly ambitious, the performances from the leads (except Cronenberg, who's fucking awesome) feel stilted, and there are so many characters introduced that sometimes it's hard to keep up with them all. It works best as an allegory for homosexuality (most especially Cronenberg's character), because it feels lacking as a straight ahead story.

Also, despite the immense amount of work that clearly went into making this a cohesive story, there are some pieces missing. Transitions can be awkward, some scenes feature a lush score while others play out with no music whatsoever, and character motivations sometimes feel murky.

That being said, the screening was a blast, and seeing Clive in person was a really special treat. I knew he had some health issues in the past few years, but I didn't realize just how much they had affected him. He said that this Q&A was probably the eighth time he had been out of his house in the past two years. He talked about what happened with Nightbreed, working on the Hellraiser remake (he thinks that it needs to be more intense to catch people's attention, while also staying true to the core elements that made the original work so well), and The Scarlet Gospels (which won't be out until 2016, most likely :( ). He also said he wants to write at least one sequel to Cabal, and that if he didn't have any new ideas for the rest of his life, he'd still have enough material to write for another 20 years.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the reviews for the Blu-ray of Nightbreed when it comes out next year. If the image quality is truly HD, I'll pick it up. If not, then I saw it in the best way I could and I'll just keep the memories.

Josh-da-man
10-27-13, 03:55 AM
Watching it in this version, I'd say that the problems with Nightbreed run deeper than studio interference. While the film is wildly ambitious, the performances from the leads (except Cronenberg, who's fucking awesome) feel stilted, and there are so many characters introduced that sometimes it's hard to keep up with them all. It works best as an allegory for being in the closet, because it feels lacking as a straight ahead story.

While I've only seen the theatrical cut, I think I'd have to agree that the movie has problems that a extended/directors cut won't solve.

I watched this on Encore or something recently, for the first time in probably twenty years, and I have to agree. The actors playing Boone and Lori don't have any chemistry, and they couldn't really carry the story. Seemed like they were lost doing this fantasy/horror movie and didn't really 'get' it. Cronenberg was great, though, chewing scenery and having a blast.

It also looks like most of the budget went into make-up and special effects, since the bulk of the film looked like a cheap-o made-for-tv affair like one of the many Stephen King miniseries from the 90s. It made it seem like some actors in decent-to-great monster make-up wandered onto the set of a soap opera. It's almost like two different movies inhabiting the same space.

Supermallet
10-27-13, 04:10 AM
Yeah, it had a $12 million budget, but somehow feels cheaper than Hellraiser, which had about $2 million. The acting in Hellraiser is much more naturalistic and believable. Also, the scale of Hellraiser works to its advantage. It deals with one family, consisting of four people, and four Cenobites, two of which don't even talk. In Nightbreed, there are so many characters that most become forgettable. If there had been six Nightbreed total, plus Boone and Decker, the movie would have greatly benefited.

inri222
10-27-13, 11:49 AM
I'm very antagonistic toward any of the Halloween sequels, except III.

:up:

Dr. DVD
10-27-13, 02:12 PM
Re-watched the original version last night. I have to say, I agree that while a DC might expand a few things, a lot of the problems with this movie stem from bad acting. Cronenberg was brilliant, but everyone else seemed like amateurs, which is sad because Cronenberg isn't really an actor! I am kind of wondering if they used someone else for some of the scenes of Deckard with the mask on and just had Cronenberg dub lines later. It was obvious a LOT of the lines were dubbed, and Cronenberg doesn't seem like he's physically capable of doing some of the fight scenes he had.
However, I would welcome a cleaned up picture version of even the theatrical cut, as the grain on this is distracting.
Out of curiosity, I remember when I was a teen having a large TPB book that was a collection of all the monsters for Midian. It gave the names and backgrounds of just about every creature you see in the movie and their background story. Since I read this before I saw the movie, I was kind of let down when so many characters had no lines and were either standing in the background or never appeared at all. :( Anyhoo, if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can help me locate this book, it would be appreciated! It seems to have gotten thrown out after my mom did the whole "he's off to college" room cleaning many years ago.