Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Thin Lizzy Nightlife / Fighting 2012 CD Remasters.

JOE29
05-13-12, 01:17 PM
I just noticed this a few weeks ago. Actually in Classic Rock Magazine first. This is obviously for the older group, like me, of cd hounds. But i'd give Nightlife a chance first. They're a bit pricey at $22, but i'd try it when the price goes down under $20. Then if the remaster sounds good, I'll go get Fighting.

Rocketdog2000
05-13-12, 06:16 PM
Haven't gotten these yet, but I have all the others in this deluxe remaster line of their catalog and have been pleased, so far.

JOE29
05-13-12, 08:04 PM
I don't know if you have the earlier cd's of these two but they're both good. I've been racking my brain trying to stop myself from pulling the trigger on getting one of these at $22. But it's a difficult battle.

Also- Do you have the Johnny the Fox deluxe remaster? I've heard that it wasn't a remaster at all but a copy of some other past release? If you have that is it good to buy?

Rocketdog2000
05-14-12, 12:26 AM
Well, that's kind of a fuzzy area. While not being "newly" remastered, (which they also do not claim to be), the recordings used were taken form newer mastered sources. At least as far as the U.S. is concerned.

What I mean by that, is that the U.S. versions of CDs on the Mercury label released prior to this are still the original masters that were used on the original CD pressings back in the 80's. This portion of their catalog has never been "officially" remastered in this country.

However, while most of their albums had not been previously remastered in the U.S., they had been remastered in the U.K./Europe back in the late 90's. (Everything from Fighting up to Black Rose, but nothing before or after.)

It is from these masters that the CDs for both Jailbreak and Johnny The Fox are culled. So, in essence, compared to the older U.S. CD pressings, they are, technically, remastered. It's just that they are not newly remastered - so they can't claim to be.

From what I've read, supposedly there was a party commissioned to do remasters on these discs, which I also read they did do. But for whatever reason, the powers that be decided not to use them. I'm sure it was some sort of money issue.

For me, they were worth getting as these are two of my favorite Thin Lizzy albums, and I was curious to hear the live, unreleased and remixed tracks that comprise the second discs of each set. While I'm no longer the completest that I used to be, Lizzy are one of the handful of bands that I do still try to collect as much of their stuff as I can. Even if it means I have multiple pressings and formats of the same album.

JOE29
05-14-12, 12:05 PM
I looked at the Johnny the Fox cd that I already have. It's a European disc from 1996. So what you're saying is that this is the same disc that is used in the deluxe edition? I'm a big Lizzy fan just like you. Anything that gets remastered or re-released i'm all over it checking things out to see if I can get it or not.

I got to watch the current line up of Thin Lizzy the other night on Paladium. They looked really good. They only showed them doing one song Rosalie. But it was done really good. Scott Gorham is still there and I believe Brian Downey was behind the drums but it was hard to see if it was him or not. They're supposed to be coming out with a new cd sometime soon. If they sound as good as they did on TV then I will be checking out the new cd when it is released.