TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Anyone watching this?

I'm liking it a lot. The animation is decent and the storylines are good.
Interesting characters, Kilowag and AI and Razor.
Old 05-11-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Green Lantern: The Animated Series

I watched it starting about 3 eps ago. It is good.
Old 05-11-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I wanted to like it, but I got turned off when they went off to the far reaches of space and got stranded there (which was episode 1). I understand they want to keep GL in space and that's as good of a reason as any, but I wanted more interaction with the rest of the corps and stuff on Earth.

As a comic fan, it doesn't help that they severely dumbed down Kilowog.

I think on the Young Justice thread some other people said it was getting good, so I'll go through my backlog before they start self-deleting.
Old 05-11-12, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wanted to like it, but I got turned off when they went off to the far reaches of space and got stranded there (which was episode 1). I understand they want to keep GL in space and that's as good of a reason as any, but I wanted more interaction with the rest of the corps and stuff on Earth.

Not a sci-fi fan I assume?

I like the GL in space thing. Gives it a star trek/stargate feel.
Old 05-11-12, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's grown on me. I wanted it to be as sophisticated as Justice League or Young Justice or The Avengers but once I got over that, it's not bad.
Old 05-11-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Yeah - I think it works. We always see GL as part of JL-Earth so it's like a different universe.
Old 05-11-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I like it. It's not as good as Young Justice, but it's solid.
Old 05-11-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

"Green Lantern" and "Young justice" have become kind of an odd match. "Lantern" is decently produced but the stories are pretty straightforward (and sometimes rather simplistic), while "Justice" is much darker with more "layered" characters and told in a more challenging fashion.
Old 05-12-12, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
"Green Lantern" and "Young justice" have become kind of an odd match. "Lantern" is decently produced but the stories are pretty straightforward (and sometimes rather simplistic), while "Justice" is much darker with more "layered" characters and told in a more challenging fashion.
The shows are really targeted at different age groups and are only paired together because they both star DC heroes. I was a little disappointed to find out Green Lantern will all take place in outer space, likely so the show can save a buck in not having to interact with Earth's other heroes.
Old 05-13-12, 11:47 AM

What was the name of the dude who totally whipped Kilowags butt in one of the episodes?
Old 05-13-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Not a sci-fi fan I assume?

I like the GL in space thing. Gives it a star trek/stargate feel.
I guess as a DC fan I'd rather they use DC's cosmic/space characters, heck,even other establishlished members of the GL corp.
Old 05-17-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Hal spends lots of time in space in the comics.
Good to see some Hawkmen. Their leader was a charming SOB.
Old 05-17-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I don't like the animation style, I do like the show though.
Old 05-18-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched a few more episodes, and bringing in the Star Sapphires, Ganthet's blue lantern, and having those stories link back to previous episodes (Kilowog's girlfriend, Carol Ferris and her atypical reaction to the Star Sapphire power, and revisiting Iolanda's world) is getting me more into it.

But really, the shorts steal the show. I'm not a big fan of that claymation/British one, but the Lauren Faust "Super Best Friends Forever", the Animal Man/Weird Al shorts, Plastic Man, and especially Mad Mod vs. the Teen Titans of various eras were all great.

That Red Lantern bull dude that continually hands Kilowog his behind is named Skallox, though they never name him and he's a lot bulkier than his comic book counterpart.
edited to add: just watched the Thanagarian episode and Kilowog gets whooped by a Thanagarian named "Bumpy." So if you want to know the name of the guy who whoops Kilowog you'll have to be more specific.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-18-12 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 05:40 PM

The red lantern dude who whoops Kilowags butt --- Skallox, thanks!
Old 05-24-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I Thought the animation of the last episode was outstanding.
The swirling space rocks and the worm hole.
Saint Walker becomes the first Blue Lantern.
Hal, Kilowog, and Razer in a desperate situation.
Its going to be a slam-bang finale this saturday.
Old 05-24-12, 07:09 AM
Cool New Member

started off pretty stale

show is getting a lot better
Old 05-27-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season started off shaky but they really did a good job of ramping things up leading to the finale.

Interesting revelation that Razer is in love with Aya.

I thought they could have done more with the Atrocitus/Hal showdown. Aren't the Guardians supposed to be fairly powerful in their own right? They just cowered in the corner like helpless children.

Last edited by Thrush; 05-27-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For an entire planet of Green Lanterns, you'd think a few would show up when their little Yoda bosses are about to die. Wheh Hal ripped open the roof, I expected the entire sky to be filled with them.
Old 05-27-12, 03:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I randomly saw some GL cartoon a few weeks ago, involving him and Kilowog trying to rescue a spaceship with some energy eating beings or something. I guess it was this series, at the time I wasn't sure if it was from the 90s or recent. Story was decent. I'm sure I'll buy it someday, as I think I own all of the DC Animation so far.
Old 05-27-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thrush
I thought they could have done more with the Atrocitus/Hal showdown. Aren't the Guardians supposed to be fairly powerful in their own right? They just cowered in the corner like helpless children.
That was definitely a weak confrontation and the battle was staged very poorly. Hal's movements looked incredibly awkward and stiff, while the Guardians stood in the corner doing nothing. The finale felt rushed, though it was cool seeing a Blue Lantern and Mogo in action.

One thing that has troubled me about this show is the politically correct move to add female Guardians that look exactly like the little blue men. In the original comics the female Guardians were called the Zamarons and looked like Amazon warriors in bikinis.
Old 05-28-12, 10:53 AM

I'm suprised that all of a sudden this is over. I agree that the last episode felt rushed since the previous episodes had a nice natural feeling progression. And when Atrocitus in his speech made it sound like he's existed for centuries, I'm taken aback that Atrocitus was bested in a fistfight with just an earthling Hal Jordan.

Will there be a season two ?
Old 05-28-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That was definitely a weak confrontation and the battle was staged very poorly. Hal's movements looked incredibly awkward and stiff, while the Guardians stood in the corner doing nothing. The finale felt rushed, though it was cool seeing a Blue Lantern and Mogo in action.

One thing that has troubled me about this show is the politically correct move to add female Guardians that look exactly like the little blue men. In the original comics the female Guardians were called the Zamarons and looked like Amazon warriors in bikinis.
I didn't remember them at all. But you're right:

Old 05-29-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was actually a change made to their look relatively long after Crisis. For most of their history they looked like normal Earth women in bikinis, with Amazon clothing.
Old 05-30-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Zamarons have already appeared in this show, they're the wielders of the Star Sapphires. I think they explained it in the comic that they had put on a human appearance early on because that was easeir for Carol and Hal to comprehend... or something.

I think Johns introduced the female guardians like Syd. Before, all the guardians pretty much looked the same. The first time I can remember one standing out was when Byrne introduced Ganthet in that one-shot/prestige issue.

Guardians have always been useless. The Corps always has to save them, I'm hard pressed to think of a time when the Guardians were really as all-powerful as they like to portray.

I wonder what the ratings are on this, and how the dreadful movie affected the show.

I think I missed an episode or something, because I was very confused when they showed Saint Walker and Mogo. Was Mogo stuck on the Red Lantern side of the rift, and if so, why? Was he one of the few GLs in that region or something, because he did very little to stop the Red Lanterns from landing on him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.