Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : NO DOUBT: new album -9/25/12

gerrythedon
05-05-12, 12:15 PM
No Doubt's New Album Due September 25

No Doubt will return with a new album this fall, the band announced in a video on Friday.

The album, due Sept. 25, will be the group's first since 2001's "Rock Steady." The joking announcement, full of studio applause and sound effects, didn't share a title for the new release.

"Thank you all so much for your support over the last 25 years," the band wrote on its official website. "We're really proud of our new album and we hope you love it as much as we do."

In the coming months, the long-absent group promised to post "plenty of photos and webisodes as we go." No Doubt hasn't been entirely off the radar in the last decade-plus: frontwoman Gwen Stefani released a pair of notable solo albums and the group returned to touring in 2009.

BILLBOARD.com

LiquidSky
05-06-12, 09:29 AM
Cool. I didn't care for Gwen's solo tunes but I like No Doubt.

mikehunt
05-06-12, 04:13 PM
some of Gwen's solo songs were ok, but I'm glad they're coming back as a group
hard to believe it's been 10 years already

PopcornTreeCt
05-06-12, 09:39 PM
Each of their albums changed their sound to fit the current trend at the time. The last album Rocksteady was terrible. I'm curious to see what artists they model their album with this time.

asianxcore
05-07-12, 02:50 PM
The last album Rocksteady was terrible. I'm curious to see what artists they model their album with this time.

I didn't like Rocksteady either.

Daytripper
05-07-12, 02:54 PM
AFT! I heard well over two years ago they were in the studio working on this. Can't wait.

cdollaz
05-07-12, 02:58 PM
If it's along the lines of Tragic Kingdom, I'm interested. If it's in the vein of the 2 shitty releases that came after Tragic Kingdom, I'll pass.

My Other Self
05-07-12, 10:10 PM
I grew up liking No Doubt but I dunno. I'll have to see. Wasn't big on Gwen's pop fluff albums.

mikehunt
05-08-12, 01:11 AM
I liked the other albums but agree that Tragic Kingdom was probably their peak

cungar
05-08-12, 09:19 AM
Percentage of these reunions that produce a really good album?

Probably about 10%

boredsilly
05-09-12, 06:01 PM
Even though Rock Steady was a No Doubt album, that might as well be viewed as the first Gwen Steffani solo album. They didn't really seem like a band on that album, especially since a lot of the songs sounded like they were done by producers, and not by a band hammering stuff out -- unlike Tragic Kingdom.

Chrisedge
05-09-12, 10:47 PM
I saw them 3 times right before Rock Steady came out, and I liked the new songs and I thought they played them "like a band". I like something off all their albums, and look forward to this one too.

gerrythedon
05-11-12, 10:14 PM
"Saturn" was not shitty.

gerrythedon
06-16-12, 01:40 AM
No Doubt to 'Push and Shove' on Sept. 25

The big announcements keep coming from No Doubt, who are set to release their first album in 11 years this fall.

"Hope you are sitting down because we've got some really big news to share with you!" the band wrote on their website Monday. "While adding the finishing touches to our new album we realized it was time to name it… so we did."

The highly anticipated album from Gwen Stefani and the boys will be titled "Push and Shove," and its lead single "Settle Down" is due for a July 16 release. No Doubt also revealed that they will be filming the video for the single this week with longtime collaborator Sophie Muller, who helmed clips for the band's "Don't Speak," "Underneath It All," "Sunday Morning" and "Simple Kind of Life." The music video also will premiere in early July.

Back in May, No Doubt announced that their new album will street Sept. 25. "Push and Shove" will be the band's first studio effort since 2001's "Rock Steady," which peaked at No. 9 on the Billboard 200. Since then, Stefani has released two solo albums and the group briefly reunited for multiple live performances in 2009.

BILLBOARD.com

mndtrp
06-18-12, 11:12 AM
Their releases are so different, with me liking some and not others, I'm holding back my excitement a bit. I'm glad they are back, as I think they are a great band, so I'll certainly check it out.

JeffTheAlpaca
06-20-12, 05:07 PM
Each of their albums changed their sound to fit the current trend at the time. The last album Rocksteady was terrible. I'm curious to see what artists they model their album with this time.

David Guetta I don't know.

Was this their last new song though it was a cover?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ubvV498pyIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PopcornTreeCt
07-16-12, 08:26 PM
New song, new music video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pb_zZ3xItPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Other Self
07-16-12, 09:12 PM
I'm lukewarm on the song but Gwen is smoking hot in the video.

The Black
07-16-12, 09:22 PM
Horrible song. Having stated the obvious now we need to kidnap Gwen and demand her secret to the fountain of youth. Would bang.

sherm42
07-16-12, 10:28 PM
I'm shocked, just shocked to find that people on this forum dislike the newest No Doubt track. Particularly since nearly everyone here hated Rock Steady.

I liked the song on first listen. It will only grow on me with time.

My Other Self
07-16-12, 11:05 PM
I'm shocked, just shocked to find that people on this forum dislike the newest No Doubt track. Particularly since nearly everyone here hated Rock Steady.

I liked the song on first listen. It will only grow on me with time.I actually liked Rock Steady a lot when it first came out. Over time I've grown tired of it, but it's not terrible.

The new song would have to take time to grow on me but I don't know if I'll listen to it again. It's just meh.

PopcornTreeCt
07-17-12, 12:31 AM

I was foolishly hoping for an album that sounded more like Tragic Kingdom and less like Rock Steady.

JAA
07-17-12, 07:06 AM

I'm with ya. I like it a lot. Looking forward to the rest.

sherm42
07-17-12, 10:40 AM
I was foolishly hoping for an album that sounded more like Tragic Kingdom and less like Rock Steady.

I can understand that. I'm from Anaheim and have been listening to No Doubt since they were just out of high school and came out with their first CD. I certainly hope there are some tracks on the new album that have the old horns and Ska sound.

But, No Doubt has changed over the years and for me, it's just not worth imposing my expectations. I've enjoyed where they have gone with each album and I can't wait for this one.

astrochimp
07-17-12, 10:59 AM
Settle Down is exactly what I was hoping it wasn't going to sound like.

Chrisedge
07-17-12, 12:02 PM
I like it. Not love, but I think it will grow on me, and I hope the album is similar...

Dan1boy
07-17-12, 02:03 PM
It's terrible and such a slap in the face to the "grown up" fans who've waited all this time. I'm also from Anaheim - went to the same high school. Not the No Doubt I grew up with.

This single will tank. KISS-FM (top 40) will play the crap outta it. KROQ will drop it like it's hot.

onebyone
07-17-12, 02:31 PM
I like the single well enough, but don't love it. Of course, Spider Webs took awhile to grow on me too so I could end up loving it with time. I am pretty happy to see them back together though.

RichC2
07-17-12, 04:13 PM
It sounds like a band ripping off No Doubt, it's odd.

sherm42
07-17-12, 09:27 PM
It's terrible and such a slap in the face to the "grown up" fans who've waited all this time. I'm also from Anaheim - went to the same high school. Not the No Doubt I grew up with.

This single will tank. KISS-FM (top 40) will play the crap outta it. KROQ will drop it like it's hot.

Ew. Loara. Katella rules. ;)

Dan1boy
07-18-12, 12:16 PM
LOL...can't rip the Knights...my wife went there...

Obey The D
07-18-12, 01:07 PM
What a letdown. Sounds just like one of Gwen's solo tracks.

Mabuse
07-18-12, 01:19 PM
I liked the last minute of the song when it did kind of a break down. Reminded me of late period Clash/Big Audio Dynamite.

The bottom line is that No Doubt, unlike most of the bands that have ascended as high as they have, are not musical geniuses. No one ever said they were and they never claimed to be. They make party music. In 1995 Spiderwebs was party music. This song is what party music sounds like in 2012, like it or not.

Yes it sounded more like a Stefani solo track, the Harjuku girls even popped up, but that may be a strategic move by everyone involved. It's been a long time since a No Doubt track debuted; people are more used to the sound of Stefani solo pop music, so maybe they debuted the "pop"iest song on the album. We'll see.

The song certainly was produced within an inch of its life, and the drums sure were burried. I bet I would have liked the demo more.

My Other Self
07-18-12, 08:49 PM
That's part of it too, I think people are giving No Doubt too much credit and looking at their old records with rose colored glasses. Their 90s material, while catchy and fun, was hardly anything groundbreaking. They became popular at the right time. That, and if your lead singer is as hot as Gwen, then you're going to sell records.

joefrog91
07-19-12, 01:40 PM
Settle Down is exactly what I was hoping it wasn't going to sound like.

Yep. I have to accept the No Doubt I fell in love is never coming back. :(

But I also agree with the people that say this is party music for 2012. I was just hoping it wouldn't sound like another Gwen solo record. I can't even hear the band playing. There's one loud "thunk" sound from Tony's bass, but other than that, I don't hear him in the mix.

Mabuse
07-19-12, 02:23 PM
Yep. I have to accept the No Doubt I fell in love is never coming back. :(

That's what I said the first time I heard Don't Speak. ;)

The band has changed over the years. My favorite album is still their debut, and it's the only one that I own. The truth is that the further they moved away from ska the more successful they got and their biggest hits have been the songs with the least ska influence. What you and I might want from them is obviously not what the majority want.

DRG
07-20-12, 10:14 AM
I don't think it sounds like her solo stuff OR old school No Doubt. It's like a weird middle ground.

Thing is, I think if this was mixed differently (more prominent guitars, send the synths to the back) this would sound a lot more like their old stuff. The basic song structure definitely feels more No Doubt than Stefani solo to me, when you listen past the production. I'm curious to hear this live once they start hitting up the talk shows and whatnot.

AndyCleveland
07-21-12, 01:34 AM
I like that the track is so all over the place that it forces the listener to examine it more than a typical pop song. Also gwen still looks amazing.

JeffTheAlpaca
07-23-12, 05:17 AM
Hope Settle Down is not the best song on the album or I will pass.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
07-23-12, 05:29 PM
Yeah. I made it about 30 seconds in before I decided I wasn't interested in listening to the rest.

auto
07-23-12, 06:07 PM
I was never going to buy this, but I checked it out for the hell of it. I think the main problem is that their lead single is way too long. 5+ minutes?

Mabuse
07-25-12, 05:20 PM

Incidently I did hear the song on KROQ this morning.

gerrythedon
09-26-12, 01:14 AM
Got the Target Deluxe Edition, the ad mentions 5 bonus tracks but it actually has 8 [bonus tracks]. Sweet!

brayzie
09-26-12, 04:35 AM
I liked No Doubt's first album's single. Later got the No Doubt Singles collection which I thought was great except for Hollaback Girl, and I really liked the new song for the album. Got Gwen Stefani's 2nd album and only thought 2 songs were really good. Finally got LAMB and listened to it non-stop for a while.

I don't really like this single at all. It doesn't sound like 2012 party music to me at all. It just sounds kind of average.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
09-26-12, 07:55 AM
I liked No Doubt's first album's single. Later got the No Doubt Singles collection which I thought was great except for Hollaback Girl, and I really liked the new song for the album. Got Gwen Stefani's 2nd album and only thought 2 songs were really good. Finally got LAMB and listened to it non-stop for a while.

Hollaback Girl isn't a No Doubt song and it isn't on the Singles collection. It's a Gwen solo track from LAMB.

cdollaz
09-26-12, 08:45 AM
I listened to the first half of the album. Ugh, horrible.

Quake1028
09-26-12, 01:21 PM
Don't bother with the second half then. HUGE disappointment.

cungar
09-26-12, 01:38 PM
It doesn't sound like 2012 party music to me at all.

So you mean it's good?

Giles
09-26-12, 01:50 PM
I listened to the first half of the album. Ugh, horrible.

given 11 years from album one to album two - really? that's pathetic - aside from Gwen's solo material - what did the other band members DO between 8 years time - twiddle their thumbs?

cungar
09-26-12, 02:49 PM
given 11 years from album one to album two - really? that's pathetic - aside from Gwen's solo material - what did the other band members DO between 8 years time - twiddle their thumbs?

Live their lives?

Jippy
09-26-12, 05:40 PM
I'm somewhat curious to hear this, but I'll give it a spin on Spotify and see. I really haven't been an avid fan and don't know much of their music beyond "Tragic Kingdom"...but I did attend Cypress College so I was always aware of who the band was. For some reason, I never saw them live before they broke big. Had plenty of opportunitues to, but I was much more into the Goth scene at the time.

brayzie
09-26-12, 06:39 PM
So you mean it's good?

Well I like current music like Katy Perry, Kanye West, and Lady Gaga. The only era of party music I really disliked was maybe late 90s to mid 2000s. Beyonce, Ja Rule, Britney Spears, stuff like that.

And forgot that Hollaback Girl was a LAMB song. I guess it was Hella Good that I wasn't too fond of. It's actually an okay song to me, but I saw the video in constant rotation back then so I got sick of it.

Giles
09-26-12, 09:09 PM
Live their lives?

lame answer - if you're in a band, you write new material - waiting 8 years reeks of laziness.

atxbomber
09-26-12, 09:16 PM
lame answer - if you're in a band, you write new material - waiting 8 years reeks of laziness.

Lame answer - they all worked either on their own projects or collaborated with other musicians during the time between Rocksteady and Push and Shove.

Giles
09-26-12, 09:31 PM
Lame answer - they all worked either on their own projects or collaborated with other musicians during the time between Rocksteady and Push and Shove.

guess they didn't like being in No Doubt ... no doubt.

cungar
09-27-12, 12:00 AM

They weren't a band. They broke up for a decade.

Dan1boy
09-27-12, 03:04 PM
It's a terrible record. And I'm from her hometown/high school. Incredibly disappointed. Goes to show how Hollywood and Top 40 corodes the soul.

:)

LiquidSky
09-27-12, 08:06 PM
The only song I like is "Push and Shove". I'll be trading this in at the local used music store.

onebyone
09-27-12, 08:17 PM
There's a few decent songs in there, but nothing particularly great. In addition, give or take a beat here and there, this seems more like a Gwen solo effort than a No Doubt record.

Plus, Dreaming the Same Dream is just awful and Undone is worse.

This cd depresses me. Thank goodness for the amazon mp3 credits I used to buy it, I can try and convince myself I didnt waste money on this crap.

Chrisedge
09-27-12, 08:50 PM
Wow, surprised at all the hate. It's a No Doubt album, what did you expect? I've listened to it twice and I think it's decent.

Daytripper
10-09-12, 03:12 PM
Finally heard this. Good God, when did No Doubt turn into the Black Eyed Peas?
I don't think I'll ever warm up to this album.

dex14
10-10-12, 10:48 AM
Listening to this makes me LOVE rock steady.... and that scares me.

JeffTheAlpaca
11-06-12, 02:57 AM
Their new music video for Looking Hot has been pulled.

A shame since Gwen was looking so hot.

No Doubt’s new video for “Looking Hot” is getting the cold shoulder for being offensive to Native Americans. The video features the band in the Wild West with lead singer Gwen Stefani as a Native American princess dancing in front of teepees and bonfires before she is captured, tied up and held at gunpoint by cowboys, including fellow bandmates Adrian Young and Tom Dumont, and eventually saved by tribal chief Tony Kanal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/no-doubt-apologizes-and-pulls-looking-hot-video/2012/11/05/a9130b1e-2764-11e2-b4f2-8320a9f00869_blog.html

http://cdn.idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/02/no-doubt-looking-hot-music-video-600x450.jpg

Chrisedge
11-06-12, 12:09 PM
^^ I found it quite easily...Yes, she is looking hot in the video.

Mabuse
11-06-12, 12:44 PM
If a video (or any art) is clearly making reference to the iconography of the American Western Film and not actual Indian peoples I fail to see how anyone can take offence. I support our native people but I do find them to be an over-reactionary bunch who find fault too easily.

JeffTheAlpaca
11-06-12, 04:23 PM
Yeah when I see or hear No Doubt I always assume they must have a racist agenda.

They were just having fun and it was not meant to be taken seriously.

djbrown
11-15-12, 01:13 PM
If a video (or any art) is clearly making reference to the iconography of the American Western Film and not actual Indian peoples I fail to see how anyone can take offence. I support our native people but I do find them to be an over-reactionary bunch who find fault too easily.

smoke a peace pipe and chill out, would ya?

Chrisedge
02-26-13, 08:06 PM
NoDoubt.com

GREETINGS FROM THE STUDIO! | NEWS

Hi Everyone,

Greetings from the studio in Los Angeles...Yes, that's right, the studio!

While we were traveling the world last year promoting Push And Shove, Gwen mentioned she was inspired to write new music. In December, around the time of our hometown shows, we discussed the idea of starting 2013 by getting back into the studio together. We did so in January and the new music started flowing with unexpected ease. After spending three years recording the last album, this new pace feels incredibly exciting.

We have decided to follow our muse for the time being and focus on this new music that we don't want to stop. So, we will be postponing our tour plans briefly while we endeavor to create something special and inspired. Our goal as a band is to share this new music with you as quickly as possible - both recorded and live on tour.

As always, thank you all for your kind words, incredible support and patience. We promise to keep you updated with photos and videos from the studio, so be sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram to get the latest updates. We will see you soon!

Love,
Gwen, Tony, Tom, Adrian
No Doubt

Obviously they didn't tour, since the album really had no hits, and they are trying to quickly follow it up with something that might do better.

milo bloom
02-28-13, 10:24 AM
I finally picked this up a week ago and found it severely disappointing. The whole album was practically a chore to get through. I've listened to a few of the tracks on the bonus disc, and the remixes and acoustic versions go a long way towards salvaging the project; the regular album has that overproduced/George Martin "sheen" to it that was a major turn off.

gerrythedon
02-28-13, 09:51 PM
yeah STAND AND DELIVER & LOOKING HOT (acoustic) from the 2nd disc are like the only tracks I like.

hal9000
03-02-13, 05:17 PM
No Doubt suffers from the same syndrome that Depeche Mode does (read: why their music hasn't matched their peak). They're missing a critical key member of the band that has long since moved on. Ever since Eric Stefani left the band (right as they released Tragic Kingdom) their music went from being great to just top 40 bullshit. Most of which is Gwen's doing, hence, her solo shit.

Once Eric left the band, No Doubt lost it's soul. As hard as they try, No Doubt will never be as good as their Tragic Kingdom release.

UAIOE
03-03-13, 01:13 PM
No Doubt suffered from the same thing lots of artists suffer from, they go from "really wanting to be popular" to just "being popular".

I don't think bands try any less when they get to the "being popular" stage, but feelings about the band at this point will vary from person to person. You either love everything they make, or you feel its more of the same/not a good evolution in sound.

JeffTheAlpaca
10-27-14, 05:30 PM
Gwen has a new single probably trying to build off her new fame as a Voice judge.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9uo9oy-Eqo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

astrochimp
10-27-14, 05:42 PM
I don't know which is worse, the song or the video.

Chrisedge
10-27-14, 06:08 PM
This album (Push and Shove) completely grew on me. The bonus songs/versions are great, and I think it's actually one of their better CD's (That is something bold!)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rexgQHtXf8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>