PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Beastie Boys' MCA (Adam Yauch) dead at 47

pinata242
05-04-12, 12:03 PM
Reports all over twitter about this.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/46406-rip-adam-yauch-of-the-beastie-boys/

http://cdn2.pitchfork.com/news/46406/1d14b272.jpg

Beastie Boys MC Adam Yauch, aka MCA, has passed away due to cancer, TMZ reports. He was 47 years old.

The Beastie Boys are one of the most important and influential hip-hop groups of all time. They were instrumental in making hip-hop a global, mainstream force. Formed in 1981 as a hardcore band, they combined punk and rap into a singular sound that grew increasingly broad over the years, encompassing a vast array of genres. Yauch, Michael Diamond (Mike D), and Adam Horowitz (Ad-Rock) released several classic albums, including their debut album Licensed to Ill in 1986, 1989's Paul's Boutique, and 1994's Ill Communication.

Yauch directed Beastie Boys videos under the pseudonym Nathaniel Hornblower, as well as the 2008 basketball documentary Gunnin' for #1 Spot under his own name. He also ran a film production and distribution company, Oscilloscope Pictures, that shepherded many films, including Wendy and Lucy, We Need to Talk About Kevin, and the forthcoming LCD Soundsystem documentary Shut Up and Play the Hits. In the mid-1990s, he co-founded the Milarepa Fund, which raised money for the Tibetan independence movement. They put on a series of benefit concerts, the Tibetan Freedom Concerts.

Yauch was diagnosed with cancer in 2009, resulting in a canceled tour and the delay of their album Hot Sauce Committee. The Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month.

anomynous
05-04-12, 12:05 PM
No way.

Can't be true

EDIT: RIP

Mike86
05-04-12, 12:08 PM
Holy shit....RIP :(

pinata242
05-04-12, 12:08 PM
At least he's no longer ill(in').

Larry C.
05-04-12, 12:11 PM
This guy wanted to live and fought cancer. The other guy has everything to live for and kills himself. Sad sad sad.

riotinmyskull
05-04-12, 12:25 PM
:rip:

Groucho
05-04-12, 12:25 PM
Terrible news. "Fight for Your Right" really spoke to me and was the anthem of my youth.

Obey The D
05-04-12, 12:26 PM
Wow. Truly shitty news. I have so many fond memories of summers spent with friends listening to Paul's Boutique and CYH. RIP

Andalusia
Goddammit.

Daryl
Damn. :(

pinata242
05-04-12, 12:28 PM
Twitter has blown up with tributes.

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5877/screenshot20120504at122.png

Tommy Ceez
05-04-12, 12:29 PM
Terrible. The only act I saw live more than once.

Now Im going to be annoyed at all the 'tributes' that play some crap of Licence to Ill

Dubya
When he did not attend the R&R HOF induction ceremony last month I figured he was likely in bad shape but it's still crushing to hear that he passed away. RIP MCA

ScissorPuppy
Oh man! R.I.P., I just bought their criterion music video dvd. ;o(
Their latest album was really good. Now I'm bummed.

I always loved watching their videos, growing up in the 80's it was hard not to know who these guys were. 47? Man, I dunno what to say.

foofighters7
05-04-12, 12:35 PM
that really blows. And his Oscilloscope film company was really becoming something more than a fun side project.

Hate to hear it. I guess his License has been revoked.

Decker
05-04-12, 12:37 PM
Damn. That sucks. :rip:

Would like to wear this in his honor:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/414/782/00a0f26492c911e1989612313815112c_7_original_original.jpg?1335793790

Drexl
05-04-12, 12:47 PM
"I did it like this. I did it like that. I did it with a wiffleball bat."

:( RIP

tommyp007
05-04-12, 12:52 PM
Goddammit.

foofighters7
05-04-12, 12:52 PM
I always loved Weird Al's 'No Sleep Til Crooklyn' about waiting in line to see the Spike Lee Joint.

pinata242
05-04-12, 12:56 PM
I always loved Weird Al's 'No Sleep Til Crooklyn' about waiting in line to see the Spike Lee Joint.

:hscratch: There's no such thing...?

Jacoby Ellsbury
05-04-12, 01:04 PM
I was just thinking to myself the other day that I would be buying tix next time they came around on tour. As I said in their discography thread, never was a fan of any of their albums besides License to Ill. All their other albums had some incredible songs, but I was unable to listen to them in their entirety, but from video footage I have seen, their shows looked incredible.

RIP MCA. I'll be bumping their records when I get home.

planetaire
05-04-12, 01:10 PM
A very sad day. RIP Adam

Phodg
05-04-12, 01:12 PM
RIP. I primarily listen to metal, but I always liked the Beasties.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-04-12, 01:18 PM

Yeah, Weird Al never did a Beastie Boys parody.

"Intergalactic" was featured in the "Polka Power!" medley (off of "Running with Scissors") and "Twister" (off of "Even Worse") was a Beasties style parody, but he has done no parodies of any specific Beastie Boys songs.

Mondo Kane
05-04-12, 01:35 PM
RIP my favorite BB

astrochimp
05-04-12, 01:43 PM
Damn. Very sad news :(

foofighters7
05-04-12, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Weird Al never did a Beastie Boys parody.

"Intergalactic" was featured in the "Polka Power!" medley (off of "Running with Scissors") and "Twister" (off of "Even Worse") was a Beasties style parody, but he has done no parodies of any specific Beastie Boys songs.

:lol: :lol:

I figured people would have got that it was a joke!

Sounds good though, right?

Geofferson
05-04-12, 01:46 PM
:rip: MCA

bunkaroo
05-04-12, 02:03 PM
This sucks. Now if they ever play "Fight For your Right" live again it'll just be "Oh mom you're just jealous it's the BEAS-TIE-.....(silence)".

islandclaws
05-04-12, 02:08 PM
I can't say I ever loved the group, but I dug a lot of their tunes and I always respected them as musicians. 47 is way, way too young.

JZ1276
05-04-12, 02:21 PM
This guy wanted to live and fought cancer. The other guy has everything to live for and kills himself. Sad sad sad.

who's the other guy that killed himself?

B.A.
05-04-12, 02:21 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpsvBvwRuf0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpsvBvwRuf0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

bralph
05-04-12, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know the status of Hot Sauce Committee pt 1? It would be great if it was finished (or mostly finished anyway), so we could still get some new B-Boys...

clckworang
05-04-12, 02:38 PM
I can't say I ever loved the group, but I dug a lot of their tunes and I always respected them as musicians. 47 is way, way too young.

Agreed. I saw them during Lollapalooza '94. It was fun show. Sad loss.

Daryl
05-04-12, 02:39 PM
Man, this hits me like when I heard Jam Master Jay had been killed. MCA was always my favorite Beastie, the one I felt had the best rhyme skills. Whatever the song, his verse was always my favorite.

B.A.
05-04-12, 02:56 PM
MCA was always my favorite Beastie, the one I felt had the best rhyme skills. Whatever the song, his verse was always my favorite.+++

I always loved the sound of his voice.

Numanoid
05-04-12, 02:56 PM
"Fight for Your Right" really spoke to me and was the anthem of my youth.I feel the same way about "Girls".

JasonF
05-04-12, 03:00 PM
If you can't enjoy the Beasties, you can't enjoy music. RIP, MCA.

Mordred
05-04-12, 03:00 PM
Now my name is M.C.A. I've got a license to kill
I think you know what time it is it's time to get ill

islandclaws
05-04-12, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know the status of Hot Sauce Committee pt 1? It would be great if it was finished (or mostly finished anyway), so we could still get some new B-Boys...

Didn't they just rename Pt. 1 to Pt. 2 since it took so long? I thought it was a known joke that there is no part 1.

bralph
05-04-12, 03:09 PM
Didn't they just rename Pt. 1 to Pt. 2 since it took so long? I thought it was a known joke that there is no part 1.

That sucks. I thought they just changed the order of them for some reason. Bummer...

bralph
05-04-12, 03:14 PM

Good old wikipedia.... Seems like there could be some unreleased material for another album.

A large amount of material was recorded, and the plan was to release the album, now called Hot Sauce Committee, in two parts as the Beastie Boys revealed to Drowned in Sound.[5] Mike D also hinted that part two may be released via unusual means:

“ Pt. 2 is pretty much done. Basically we were making ...Pt 1, had too many songs, so we recorded some more songs. Which sounds bizarre but it actually worked out, because it made it clear to us which songs were going to be on ...Pt 1. Then we had this whole other album of songs: ...Pt 2. ...Pt 1’s going to be your regular CD in the stores and to download, but ...Pt 2 is going to be released in...we’re still figuring it out, but a different way. More of a 2009 style. ... You could get in the shower one day and, boom, all of a sudden you’re showered with MP3s. Or we might send people a seven-inch every few weeks, so you have a whole box set.[5] ”

Part 1

The first part of the album was intended to be called Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 1 and was prepared for release, with artwork revealed and a planned release date of September 15, 2009.[4] In an interview the Beastie Boys stated that the album was completed and group also announced that they would tour the United Kingdom in support of the new record.[3]
This was delayed after band member Adam "MCA" Yauch was diagnosed with cancer.[2] On July 20, 2009, Yauch issued a video press release via YouTube (and via e-mail to fans on mailing list) stating that a form of cancer was found in his salivary gland and that some or all upcoming shows are canceled, with the release date of Hot Sauce Committee delayed. He added that the cancer is localized, and that he should be fine after surgery.[6]
In October 2009, Adam Yauch announced that the band had not yet decided a new release date, but was quoted saying he was hoping to release it in the first half of 2010.[7]

Part 2

An email sent out on October 17, 2010, from the Beastie Boys announced: "Although we regret to inform you that Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 1 will continue to be delayed indefinitely, Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2 will be released on time as originally planned in Spring of 2011." An email sent the following week now clarified that Pt. 2 would be released with almost exactly the same tracklist as was announced for Pt. 1, excluding the track "Bundt Cake."[8] No date is set for Part 1.[9]
Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 1 was finally released in May 2011 under the title Hot Sauce Committee Part Two with a slightly altered track listing including a new version of "Too Many Rappers". The material intended for part two may now be released as Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 1 at some point in the future.

auto
05-04-12, 03:30 PM
Damn

RIP Adam

Mabuse
05-04-12, 03:33 PM
Terrible news. I didn't even know he had cancer. What kind of cancer kills you at 47? That's extraordinarily sad news.

inri222
05-04-12, 03:36 PM
Used to like them when they were a hardcore punk band. RIP MCA

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NnsfBPCrrqc/TFsxsv4r6zI/AAAAAAAAAKM/bT3CnmBxTB8/s1600/bboys.jpg&imgrefurl=http://whatarebloodwings.blogspot.com/2010/08/beastie-boys.html&usg=__79JfnECAIOnIRkoX_EHiYVhFwJY=&h=239&w=369&sz=23&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=kLdUWxBXOuzvVM:&tbnh=79&tbnw=122&ei=XT6kT7SPOufl0QGQg9i4CQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbeastie%2Bboys%2Bhardcore%2Bpunk%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NnsfBPCrrqc/TFsxsv4r6zI/AAAAAAAAAKM/bT3CnmBxTB8/s1600/bboys.jpg

As some know before all the Hip-Hop, The Beastie Boys came together in 1981 as a hardcore punk band. In 1981 Adam Yauch (MCA) had the idea to start a hardcore punk band and approached John Berry, Kate Schellenbach and Michael Diamond and asked them to join him. The name Beastie Boys came from a suggestion from guitarist John Berry. The initials BB were used due to the bands love for the D.C hardcore band the Bad Brains. The name "Beastie" stands for "Boys Entering Anarchistic States Towards Internal Excellence," but this was an afterthought once the band's name was already Beastie Boys. In their time they played shows with bands such as Bad Brains, the Dead Kennedys, the Misfits and Reagan Youth. Sometime after the recording of Pollywog Stew member John left and was replaced by Adam (Ad-Rock) who had been to most of the guys practices and played in the band The Young & the Useless who did shows with them aswell. After all this everyone knows they turned into Hip-Hop and such, but in 1995 the guys went back to their punk roots and released a 2nd hardcore EP called Aglio E Olio, also after a year of touring for licensed to Ill, Adam Yauch got together with members of Bad Brains & Murphy's Law and made a short lived band called Brooklyn.

dsa_shea
05-04-12, 03:48 PM
Pollywog Stew was ok but I think the Beastie Boys made the right move switching their focus to hip-hop and moving away from that punk sound. We probably wouldn't even be talking about them right now if they had stayed that course. RIP MCA! You will definitely be missed.

JumpCutz
05-04-12, 04:09 PM
who's the other guy that killed himself?

I think he's referencing Junior Seau.

islandclaws
05-04-12, 04:19 PM
Or Don Cornelius?

Minor Threat
05-04-12, 04:33 PM
R.I.P.

http://thissongissick.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Beastie-Boys.jpg

wishbone
05-04-12, 04:35 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/34gn506.jpg

:rip: MCA

EdTheRipper
05-04-12, 04:51 PM

Same for me. I was never a huge fan, but I did enjoy a lot of their stuff. Too bad.

RagingBull80
05-04-12, 05:02 PM
Very sad news. I've always liked the Beastie Boys but never really seriously gotten into them until the last few years. Paul's Boutique is one of my favorite albums.

Yauch seemed like a pretty cool dude. The world now has one less Beastie Boy and that is a sad thing.

rider555
05-04-12, 05:20 PM
-rolleyes-

mdc3000
05-04-12, 05:28 PM
Fuck, I'm pretty depressed about this - I've been a Beastie Boys fan since I was 10 years old and MCA was always my favourite member. RIP.

The Black
05-04-12, 07:03 PM
Got to be kidding me. I knew he had cancer, but I was under the impression he was in remission. Very sad day!
I'm glad to have seen them live a couple of times, the rocked the place every single time! R.I.P. MCA.

Boba Fett
05-04-12, 07:16 PM
I despised "License to Ill" but was a huge fan of everything else. Terrible news.

Michael Corvin
05-04-12, 08:14 PM

+1

Rap isn't a genre that appeals to me but they had some damn good tunes. Every time I hear them on Sirius I crank it up.

Bill Needle
05-04-12, 09:50 PM
Sad news, he will be missed.

First time I saw the Beastie Boys was with Run DMC on the Raising Hell tour not long before License to Ill was released.

"Three Idiots Create a Masterpiece" (Rolling Stone Magazine's License to Ill review)

Indeed.

And then they actually got better.

asianxcore
05-04-12, 10:04 PM
R.i.p mca

Rypro 525
05-04-12, 11:06 PM
And that they stayed relevent over the course of their career too. Didn't several say their career would be over after Pauls Boutique undersold

Rival11
05-04-12, 11:09 PM
"My man MCA's got a beard like billy goat"

".....at the end of my stump-aaaaa Shake- your-rump-aaaaaaa"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BptQHAW2T5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

meritocracy
05-04-12, 11:53 PM
MCA

AGuyNamedMike
05-05-12, 12:23 AM
...listening to "The In Sound from Way Out" and drinking a brass monkey. :(

My Other Self
05-05-12, 12:25 AM
When I read this earlier today I was really sad. The Beastie Boys have been one of my favorite musical artists since I was really young. MCA had a unique voice.

I wonder if they'll still continue as the Beastie Boys without him. I hope they can release Hot Sauce Committee Part One since it was recorded before he got sick.

atlantamoi
05-05-12, 02:38 AM
Got to meet them in '86 in NYC. They were on a serious music panel and basically took over with their goofiness. Got a laugh out of it. At the time I'd only heard (and loved) "She's On It". That debut came out and was an instant success. I'm not sure I could sit down and listen to any of their albums all the way through, but every single one had at least one or two killer tracks. Including the last album. RIP Adam.

sniper007
05-05-12, 10:06 AM
A number of hard rock and heavy metal musicians have commented on the passing of Adam "MCA" Yauch, a founding member of the pioneering rap band BEASTIE BOYS, who died Friday after a nearly three-year battle with cancer.

Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES): "Sad day. MCA was fucking awesome. RIP man. We'll miss you very much."

ANTHRAX: "RIP MCA. Cancer, you're an asshole."

Dave Mustaine (MEGADETH): "Rest In Peace Adam 'MCA' Yauch of the BEASTIE BOYS. My condolences to his family and friends."

LINKIN PARK: "We're sad to learn about the death of MCA. Our condolences to the BEASTIE BOYS and Adam's family."

Fred Durst (LIMP BIZKIT): "A very sad day indeed. Adam Yauch RIP."

David Draiman (DISTURBED): "Listened to the BEASTIE BOYS since I was a kid. RIP Adam (MCA) Yauch. You will be missed."

Randy Blythe (LAMB OF GOD): "BEASTIE BOYS broke a lot of rules and broke a lot of ground. Bummed I never saw 'em. MCA has gone on to his final egg raid on mojo. Peace bro!"

Freddy Cricien (MADBALL): "RIP to a hip hop legend and my favorite beastie boy.... MCA"

SPINESHANK: "RIP MCA!!!!! Thanx for the awesome music!"

BONDED BY BLOOD: "R.I.P. MCA! Our set tonight (in Dallas) goes out too you!"

Brian Fair (SHADOWS FALL): "RIP MCA of the BEASTIE BOYS. My favorite show ever was seeing them at a small club in Boston on 'Check Your Head' tour. Thanks for the music."

Justin Broadrick (GODFLESH, JESU): "Very sad to hear of the passing of Adam Yauch / MCA."

SICK OF IT ALL: "Our hearts go out to MCA's family and friends in their time of loss. We had the pleasure of doing a small tour with the BEASTIE BOYS under their hardcore name QUAZAR. They were the most down-to-earth and fun guys. Thanks for all the great times and music and all your humanitarian work you've done. Rest in peace, brother. A sad day indeed."

LIVING COLOUR: "Cause You Can't, You Won't And You Don't Stop, MCA Come And Rock The Sure Shot - RIP Adam Yauch!"

STYX: "Another great one has passed. RIP MCA. Truly one of the best at what he did."

Jeff Scott Soto (TALISMAN, JOURNEY, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN): "RIP MCA...you showed us how to 'fight for the right', long live the Beasties!

Perry Farrell (JANE'S ADDICTION): "Adam Yauch has passed. As sobering news as you'll ever recieve. This part of life (death) is resolute — causes one to consider their own life, and the way they're living it. Today is a grey day. It feels as if their is no escape... Adam was a guy who brought happiness and energy to so many. That is why the news of his passing is so stifling. Bon voyage, Adam."

cungar
05-05-12, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't even say something this arrogant about The Beatles

walletboyniac
05-05-12, 12:06 PM
Really sad to hear the news. Paul's Boutique is one of my favorite albums ever. I can't imagine they'll carry on without him.

A number of hard rock and heavy metal musicians have commented on the passing of Adam "MCA" Yauch, a founding member of the pioneering rap band BEASTIE BOYS, who died Friday after a nearly three-year battle with cancer.

Brian Fair (SHADOWS FALL): "RIP MCA of the BEASTIE BOYS. My favorite show ever was seeing them at a small club in Boston on 'Check Your Head' tour. Thanks for the music."

Holy crap, I was at this show! It was at the Avalon in 1992.

Michael Corvin
05-05-12, 03:18 PM
RIP Adam Yauch. You made my teenage years more fun and your art made it easier for me to do what I do. For a Beastie, you sure were a beaut. -Kevin Smith

Michael T Hudson
05-05-12, 10:36 PM
Been a fan since middle school. Got to see them twice once in 92 and in 94. Cancer is a bitch.

JohnnyMovie
05-05-12, 10:51 PM

The Bus
05-05-12, 11:07 PM
Late posting on this, but, man, <u>fuck</u> cancer. 47? He had at least another two productive decades on earth. Condolences to his family and friends.

I think Beastie Boys is probably one of those bands that everyone can agree on. Doesn't mean you have to love everything they've ever done, but they had a pretty wide body of work and remained relevant for three decades, in a genre that typically has comebacks from retirements happen 6 years after a debut album.

Gerry P.
05-06-12, 01:23 AM
I hated "Fight for Your Right" when it came out, but quickly learned there was a lot more to The Beasties than dumb punk.

This is a sad one.

Boba Fett
05-06-12, 02:10 AM
You gotta fight for your right to make bland boring music:
q9yq88LY2N0

Throwing Copper
05-06-12, 04:10 AM
q9yq88LY2N0

Yeah fuck those boring assholes for doing a tribute to MCA. -rolleyes-

rexinnih
05-06-12, 11:13 AM
Rip mca.

cungar
05-06-12, 06:31 PM
q9yq88LY2N0

Geez, how badly does Chris Martin want to be hip and how badly is he failing?

UAIOE
05-08-12, 10:26 PM
Tribute or not, that is a terrible cover.

I'm all for alternate interpretations of songs, and I'm sure a piano cover is possible, but that was mellowed down to the point where it was neutered.

JeffTheAlpaca
05-10-12, 04:20 AM
I checked the Amazon sales rankings and Licensed to Ill was the highest ranking album at #28

When MJ and Whitney died their entire catalogs were in the top ten in sales or maybe most of the Beastie fans grew up during the digital age (Downloads more popular?) though they hit it big in the 80's.

I don't think back catalogs in hip hop sell.

Boba Fett
05-10-12, 02:55 PM
I'd say most fans already owned the albums; MJ and Whitney you had a lot of people who decided at that point they were big "fans" and needed to buy albums.

Drexl
05-10-12, 03:15 PM
To be honest, they've never been as popular. They've only had one top 10 single in the US ("Fight for Your Right" in '86). Also, I think it's different when one person in a group dies vs. a solo artist.

Does anyone remember how TLC sold after Lisa Lopes died?

pinata242
05-10-12, 03:23 PM
Wow, I had no idea neither Sabotage nor Intergalactic hit the Top 10. They played those so much, I figured it was a sure (ahem) shot.

Boba Fett
05-14-12, 02:58 AM
Now this is a tribute:
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/42106181" width="398" height="223" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>