DVD Talk
End of Watch -- D: Ayer S: Gyllenhaal, Pena, Kendrick -- 9/28/12 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : End of Watch -- D: Ayer S: Gyllenhaal, Pena, Kendrick -- 9/28/12

Osiris3657
05-03-12, 08:50 PM
Director: David Ayer (Harsh Times, Street Kings)
Writer: David Ayer (Training Day)
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Pena, Anna Kendrick

Plot: The story revolves around young Los Angeles police officers Taylor (Gyllenhaal) and Zavala (Pena) as they patrol the city's meanest streets of south central Los Angeles. The action unfolds entirely through footage from the handheld HD cameras of the police officers, gang members, surveillance cameras, and citizens caught in the line of fire to create a riveting portrait of the city's most dangerous corners, the cops who risk their lives there every day, and the price they and their families are forced to pay.

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#browseCarouselUI=hide&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&vid=29176425&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fend-of-watch%2Ftrailers%2Fend-of-watch-theatrical-trailer-29176425.html&repeat=0"></iframe></div>

Solid Snake
05-03-12, 09:01 PM
well fuck....this looks badass.

Matthew Chmiel
05-03-12, 09:13 PM
:thumbsup:

Aesthetically, it looks like a big screen, hard R-rated version of The Shield.

Goat3001
05-03-12, 09:46 PM
That looks awesome, too bad the trailer gave away pretty much everything.

Arpeggi
05-03-12, 10:12 PM
Best movie of all time

Osiris3657
05-04-12, 07:19 AM
Not sure I like the way it's filmed, but it could be cool.

starseed1981
05-04-12, 08:53 AM
Looks awesome and I love Anna Kendrick.....so I'm in.

Gunde
05-04-12, 09:09 AM
So it's Southland: The Movie.

I wonder who's filming the sex scene.

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 09:12 AM
From the Writer of Training Day and Director of Two Regurgitations of Training Day...the the final installment of the (Not) Training Day Trilogy

Why So Blu?
05-08-12, 04:20 PM
Training Day
Harsh Times
Street Kings

This looks really awesome

foofighters7
05-08-12, 07:32 PM
I have to say this looks pretty mediocre. Training Day was one of the most overrated films that year. Good but not great by any means. This looks pretty ho hum to me.

Osiris3657
08-14-12, 06:25 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/video/ymoviesredband-29056098/end-of-watch-redband-trailer-30264532.html

Red band trailer, looks pretty hardcore

fmian
08-14-12, 07:33 AM
Looks awesome. The camera work especially seems intense.
The gritty look and feel reminds of me of Carnahans Narc.

Why So Blu?
08-14-12, 09:38 AM
Looking forward to this one.

DeputyDave
08-14-12, 10:45 AM
It looks good, I loved Training Day. I came out of that theater like an Italian leaving Rocky.

Solid Snake
08-14-12, 11:50 AM
Did you try to get a black guy to buy your shit?

Deftones
08-14-12, 12:28 PM
looks pretty good. :up:

Osiris3657
09-16-12, 09:25 AM
Good reviews so far. 12 out of 13 positive on RT.

davidh777
09-16-12, 04:04 PM
They sure are advertising the hell out of it

Jules Winfield
09-16-12, 04:14 PM
Training Day and Street Kings were alright. I liked Harsh Times more though so I'm sure I'll check it out one time.

Osiris3657
09-20-12, 08:56 AM
Roger Ebert's 4 star review (http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120919/REVIEWS/120919985)

SPiRAL
09-20-12, 09:14 AM
I went to a screening last week, and liked it very much. Training day is a better movie, but this is still good for what it is. If you liked the trailer, then you'll like the movie.

bluetoast
09-20-12, 09:10 PM
I'm a fan of Pena from The Shield, glad his career has been getting bigger over the last few years. Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.

antspawn
09-20-12, 10:00 PM
Looks fresh and awesome. :thumbsup:

Osiris3657
09-21-12, 09:47 AM
Gonna see this afternoon, looking forward to it.

AnonomusBob15
09-22-12, 12:06 AM
I really need to watch The Shield, been meaning to do so forever ago.

this looks great, I really liked Harsh Times.

bluetoast
09-22-12, 03:12 AM
This movie was really good, yet also suffered from "Forrest Gump syndrome" in that the main characters experienced 10 lifetimes worth of action and adventure over a short period of time, and that's not counting the inciting incident and the consequences . They acknowledge something to that effect but even that doesn't make up for it.

But the chemistry between the leads is great. And yes everybody needs to see The Shield.

SPiRAL
09-23-12, 12:11 PM
Michael Pena is a great, in everything he's in.

DonnachaOne
09-23-12, 01:44 PM
Michael Pena is a great, in everything he's in.I was all set to correct your sentence, like some internet prick, but no - you're absolutely right. Peņa is a great. He's one of the most dependable and watchable actors working today.

Solid Snake
09-23-12, 02:31 PM
Yeah. I really like him as well. He brings it. I almost want to say I'd want to see him in a strong lead role but he's so damn good as a supporting guy. Though I'm not a fan of Crash, his story and character to me is the best one cuz it feels real.

Rob V
09-24-12, 07:05 AM
Saw this Saturday night with the wife... the movie was fantastic! It was literally one of the most gripping movies I've seen but as bluetoast mentioned -- there is a LOT going on in a short amount of time (which was a tad distracting). Overall Gyllenhaal and Pena were perfectly cast and played well off each other.

Osiris3657
09-24-12, 07:22 PM
Good movie, just got back from it. The chemistry between Gyllenhaal and Pena was very believable. Fine acting gentlemen.
The action was good. Very tense moments throughout the film. My only complaint was that there was not enough Anna Kendrick.

Worth checking out for sure! Don't hesitate if you're on the fence.

Grade: A

Tom Creo
09-24-12, 10:04 PM
"You smoke, I smoke, I drink, me too, well good........"

Loved this movie even if the trailer was misleading. Crazy fight with Pena and the OG.

Matthew Chmiel
09-25-12, 01:04 AM
1. Michael Pena needs more work.

2. I was surprised and upset that the black gangsters didn't show up at the final minute and mow down all of the Mexicans saving both Gyllenhaal and Pena's lives in the process.

Between this and Savages, Hollywood sure hates Mexicans this year.

Osiris3657
09-25-12, 06:26 AM
2. I was surprised and upset that the black gangsters didn't show up at the final minute and mow down all of the Mexicans saving both Gyllenhaal and Pena's lives in the process.

Seriously dude? That would have sucked and been typical Hollywood "happy ending" bullshit.

Rob V
09-25-12, 06:28 AM
^^ That would have been too Hollywood IMO. I didn't personally care for the ending as I saw it coming a mile away but it didn't detract from the overall film.

edit: Osiris beat me to it :lol:

Matthew Chmiel
09-25-12, 02:30 PM
Seriously dude? That would have sucked and been typical Hollywood "happy ending" bullshit.
Not if:

Gyllenhaal, Pena and the black gangsters hide the bodies before the police come. Gyllenhaal and Pena are made out to be heroes. During the end credits, Neil Diamond's "Welcome to America" plays as we cut to the fat Mexican druglord seen earlier in the film who receives a package of the dismembered bodies of the Mexicans who tried to kill Gyllenhaal and Pena thus effectively setting up End of Watch 2 co-starring Mitt Romney.

Why So Blu?
09-25-12, 02:33 PM
This will finally be playing in my area this weekend. I'll be watching this and Looper over the weekend.

Goat3001
09-26-12, 08:41 AM
Saw this last night. Thought it was very good overall. There wasn't much to it, story wise. It was just the simple story of two cops that get into it with the Mexican gang. Nothing deep and even kind of predictable.

The movie wasn't long to begin with but the nonstop action makes it feel like it's an hour long. The leads were great and Anna Kendrick is a lovely as always. It was really gritty and didn't hold anything back. The climax was very well done as well.

I give it an A-

gp1086
09-27-12, 11:04 PM
Checked this out tonight. Great chemistry between the leads and solid storytelling makes this one of the best cop movies I've ever seen. Really enjoyed this one.

Every time I see Anna Kendrick I like her more and more.

Why So Blu?
09-29-12, 02:28 PM
Just came back and thought it was pretty damn cool! I knew I'd seen Anna Kendrick before. She's Scott Pilgrim's sister. I like her.

The Bus
11-12-12, 04:35 AM
What a great movie. Kendrick has never looked better and the chemistry between the leads was really something.

If the movie had just ended with <i>both</i> lead characters dying then this would've been a classic.

But I guess not every movie can be <b>The Departed</b> / <b>無間道</b>.

GatorDeb
12-08-12, 12:37 AM
Amazing amazing movie. I hate with a passion movies in which the narrator is shooting with a camera what is going on. I avoid TV episodes and movies like that (never seen The Blair Witch Project, for instance). I didn't know this movie was like that until it started. It held my attention the entire film. Superbly acted. If anyone ever doubted Jake Gyllenhall's acting chops, doubt no more.

gp1086
12-08-12, 10:33 AM
Easily one of my favorite movies of 2012. Glad you enjoyed, gator.

riotinmyskull
12-09-12, 09:17 PM
solid flick. the last 20 minutes were pretty damn intense. anna kendrick is adorable.

Supermallet
12-09-12, 10:18 PM
I thought the movie was good but I don't know what's blowing everyone away about it. This isn't anything we haven't seen in The Shield or The Wire.

bluetoast
12-09-12, 10:32 PM
But with those shows gone for four years, it's good to have something new that might even be reminiscent of that, unlike say, Rampart. I mean it's kind of like if we got a whole movie with Herc and Carver, but with the atmosphere of The Shield.

bootsy
12-09-12, 10:45 PM
I thought the movie was good but I don't know what's blowing everyone away about it. This isn't anything we haven't seen in The Shield or The Wire.

It's called an opinion. It's not for YOU to know but only for those that really liked the movie. You seem to struggle with that concept.-rolleyes-

Supermallet
12-09-12, 11:15 PM
It's called a discussion. People can hold their opinion, and I can hold mine, and we can express them, and discuss them.

I did like the performances, but I feel like having an actual handheld camera in the movie did it a disservice, because there are a ton of shots that clearly aren't being shot by anyone in the scene.

PopcornTreeCt
12-10-12, 12:11 AM
I saw this was playing in my theater. I guess it was re-released?

Dr Mabuse
12-10-12, 12:27 AM
Yeah it's re-released.

bootsy
12-10-12, 07:59 AM
It's called a discussion. People can hold their opinion, and I can hold mine, and we can express them, and discuss them.

I did like the performances, but I feel like having an actual handheld camera in the movie did it a disservice, because there are a ton of shots that clearly aren't being shot by anyone in the scene.

Except you try to shit on everyone else's opinion in the process.

RichC2
12-10-12, 08:47 AM

Except he didn't, he expressed confusion over what everybody saw in the movie. He didn't say it was stupid or that people were stupid for liking it, he just failed to see why everybody was talking it up. There's a pretty big difference between "I don't know what's blowing everyone away about it." - a rephrasing of "It didn't live up to the hype." - and some Rex Reed style "This is a movie made for idiots." (I think that's from his Batman Begins review).

I'm in the same boat on this one, it was a good movie but nothing great.

Tarantino
12-10-12, 08:50 AM

You're overreacting here, bootsy. It's a discussion about the movie. Here's where you tell him why it blew you away.

Supermallet, I do agree with the inconsistency with the camera work, but it never marketed itself as a found footage film. I think it was just a different way to give us other angles and views.

Supermallet
12-10-12, 09:04 AM
Guys, I sent bootsy a PM. Let's not continue discussing this in this thread, thanks.

Tarantino, it didn't market itself as a found footage film, but the first thing they show is the lead character fiddling with a camera, and showing footage from the camera. Multiple times throughout they use the in-movie camera as a source of footage, but then cut back to an external camera. I'm not saying it ruins the film, but it doesn't really work in the film's favor either.

Tom Creo
12-10-12, 10:42 AM
It's been months since I've seen this but damn if my mind's eye doesn't reflect on that scene where the cholo is bashing in the asian cop's face. Fuckin' harrowing.

PopcornTreeCt
12-10-12, 02:35 PM
Yeah it's re-released.

Thanks

rabbit77
01-06-13, 05:09 PM
It's been months since I've seen this but damn if my mind's eye doesn't reflect on that scene where the cholo is bashing in the asian cop's face. Fuckin' harrowing.

The damage was Irreversible.

Solid Snake
01-06-13, 06:14 PM
The damage was Irreversible.

I'd love to get that on BD. Could only imagine how insane it could get in 1080p.

SuckaMC
02-04-13, 12:27 AM
Just watched this. I liked it ok. As a cop myself most of it was technically sound, apart from stripping down to fist fight a thug, they may do that in LA(doubt it), but it would be a silly decision.

Not a fan of watching cops get gunned down as presented in a quasi-realistic way. And to whoever said it would have been better if they both died: eat shit. (kidding!......mostly :))

The movie was good, just a little too close to home. Im glad my wife fell asleep early into it.

dex14
02-20-13, 08:53 AM
This was ok... Maybe if I never saw Southland I'd be more impressed by it. I'm a bit tired of Ayers same formula. The end was pretty predictable, but I liked how it was done.

Autotelik
02-20-13, 08:40 PM
Yep, just saw it a few weeks ago. Same thoughts. It's Southland with more profanity and violence.

foofighters7
02-20-13, 08:51 PM
watched this tonight. Thought it would be terrible but it was just mediocre. The camera issue was a pain and took away from the film. It wasn't needed in any way.

I felt the ending was tacked on to give a 'happy' ending but instead just took away from the gravity of the 'true' ending.

The dynamics between the two leads was pretty good and I was interested in some aspects of the story but overall I felt it fell short and ended up being a rather cliched and uneven film.

Larry C.
02-20-13, 10:25 PM
I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought the performances were good and the chemistry of the leads as partners was pretty great.

Why So Blu?
02-21-13, 12:47 AM
watched this tonight. Thought it would be terrible but it was just mediocre. The camera issue was a pain and took away from the film. It wasn't needed in any way.

I felt the ending was tacked on to give a 'happy' ending but instead just took away from the gravity of the 'true' ending.

The dynamics between the two leads was pretty good and I was interested in some aspects of the story but overall I felt it fell short and ended up being a rather cliched and uneven film.

That was a happy ending? You're evil, bro.

foofighters7
02-21-13, 09:23 AM
:lol:

Like I said, I'm talking about the tacked on (them in the car the day of the shootout)ending being the 'happy' ending.

Larry C.
02-21-13, 10:07 AM
:lol:

Like I said, I'm talking about the tacked on (them in the car the day of the shootout)ending being the 'happy' ending.

If anything to me it made it more depressing. Knowing what will happend later on that night. You never know when your last day will be.

hal9000
02-27-13, 02:11 AM
Just watched it for the the first time this past weekend. It was good, not great. Thought about that "tacked on" ending today before I read this thread and felt it actually would have been more powerful had they put that scene in order of how that day played out... Had it ended on the funeral this would have been one fucking brilliant yet depressing flick.

Out of curiosity, I watched a bare-bones rental DVD... has anyone watched it with the Directors commentary, and if so, does he talk about the reasoning of having that scene tacked on at the end, was it a studio decision or was that the way he intended it to be?

EdTheRipper
04-13-13, 12:03 PM
I finally got around to watching this one yesterday. I liked it quite a bit. The movie definitely flew by, not feeling like its run time at all. I had an idea how it would end, so the ending didn't come as a great surprise to me, minus that Gyllenhaal lived. Wasn't expecting that to be honest.

SuckaMC
04-13-13, 06:09 PM
I chat with some workers at a game store close to home and we talked about this movie. One of the guys said it would have been better if they both died. Lol. He said that knowing I was a cop. I was like,Really? We had a good laugh watching him trying to back-pedal. I was surprised, and happy, that there was one.

Libby
04-14-13, 06:14 PM
this was probably the best cop movie I have ever seen loved the camera work the grittiness and the chemistry between all the characters. It really paints an riveting look at what cops must have to deal with on a day to day basis. Sets the bar for future cop films that's for sure!

EddieMoney
04-15-13, 09:25 AM
And Anna Kendrick is extremely hot.

inri222
10-10-14, 10:12 PM
Just watched this. It wasn't bad but it could have been better. Too much bromance and it felt like videogame.
A damn shame because Michael Peņa and Jake Gyllenhaal try to do their best even though the material is a bit weak.

2.5/5