DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Favorite musicals

Jules Winfield
05-01-12, 12:02 PM
Does this forum enjoy musicals? I know I do! Seriously, musicals are tremendous fun and a good one can sometimes make you wish you could burst out in song in real life. Here are some of my faves.

Singin' in the Rain- great movie. If you don't like this movie, just stop watching musicals and go watch an Underworld movie again and shut up.

Little Shop of Horrors- funny, great songs, amazing puppetry and a great Steve Martin role.

West Side Story- have an affinity for it since playing some of the music in high cool marching band.

What's your favorites?

Jaymole
05-01-12, 12:13 PM
My favorite musical by far is Oliver!. Great acting, beautiful sets, memorable songs and the "Who will Buy?" musical sequence is one the greatest ever committed to film. Many people disparage it as it won the Oscar the same year as 2001, but even though 2001 is my favorite film of all time, I have no problem with Oliver! winning it that year.

Ash Ketchum
05-01-12, 12:45 PM
You can't go wrong with the musicals made at MGM by the Arthur Freed unit in the 1940s and '50s, the best being:
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
THE PIRATE
ON THE TOWN
AN AMERICAN IN PARIS
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
THE BANDWAGON

I used to see these on the big screen frequently in the glory days of the revival theaters (1970s).

THE PIRATE (1948) deserves special mention not only for Gene Kelly and Judy Garland, but for the Nicholas Brothers, who perform a spectacular number with Kelly, one of the very few interracial numbers in classic Hollywood musicals. Unlike the other films they appeared in, the Nicholas Bros. are supporting characters in THE PIRATE and appear throughout the film. They're part of the fabric of it.

Speaking of race, I'd also highlight two all-black musicals, both with Lena Horne, made by major studios in 1943:
CABIN IN THE SKY (MGM)
STORMY WEATHER (Fox)

STORMY WEATHER is the better one because it has less of a cumbersome plot and more great performers including Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, the Nicholas Brothers and Katherine Dunham.

Other great MGM musicals include SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954) and the underrated GIVE A GIRL A BREAK (1953), with Debbie Reynolds, Marge & Gower Champion, and Bob Fosse.

The Infidel
05-01-12, 12:55 PM
Old-time: The Music Man
Recent (not that there are many to choose from): Moulin Rouge

nando820
05-01-12, 12:56 PM
The Sound of Music is pretty great. I also really enjoy some of the very old Warner Bros Musicals like the Gold Diggers franchise and the Astaire and Rogers duos, they kinda gay but just the right amount ;)

iggystar
05-01-12, 12:57 PM
I'm really an 80's kid at heart so I don't have many classics on my list, but some serious 80's cheese is included (don't judge).

The Sound of Music
Annie
The Wizard of Oz
The Wiz
Victor Victoria
Dreamgirls
Fame
Hairspray
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Grease
Grease 2 (yes.....Grease 2)
Xanadu (cassette soundtrack is sitting on my desk to my right)
Mamma Mia
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Purple Rain
Chicago (LOVE, love, LOVE this movie and wholeheartedly support its Oscar win)

Mabuse
05-01-12, 01:00 PM
I love Singin' in the Rain and Bandwagon, but continually underated is It's Always Fair Weather. I like to think they form a sort of trilogy: Singin' is a send up of the movie business, Bandwagon sends up Broadway, and Fair Weather sends up television.

I love Busby Burkley, his numbers are litterally a lost art. So many modern filmmakers have done homages to his style and none have come remotely close. He simply can't be reproduced. Most people know him for 42nd Street yet I think that is his worst movie. Footlight Parade and Dames are his best. For late period Berkley check out The Gang's All Here from 1943. It goes absolutely insane.

Mabuse
05-01-12, 01:05 PM
The Sound of Music is pretty great. I also really enjoy some of the very old Warner Bros Musicals like the Gold Diggers franchise and the Astaire and Rogers duos, they kinda gay but just the right amount ;)Funny thing is that most of the people involved in the Astaire/Rodgers films were straight, including Astaire himself. Maybe not Edward Everett Horton :)

davidh777
05-01-12, 01:24 PM
Funny thing is that most of the people involved in the Astaire/Rodgers films were straight, including Astaire himself. Maybe not Edward Everett Horton :)

I would have said Eric Blore :)

EDIT: Hmm, I googled "Eric Blore" to get a pic for this post and the second auto-fill was "Eric Blore gay actor". Second hit was this obit:

http://barry-m-grey.suite101.com/character-actor-eric-blore-excelled-at-smart-aleck-movie-butlers-a322574

Was Eric Blore Gay?

It’s ironic Blore’s father associated acting with gay life, since his son’s fussy film persona was often regarded as a wink at the character’s (and portrayer’s) assumed homosexuality. But beyond his movie roles, there’s little to suggest Blore was, in fact, gay.

The actor, probably best known for roles in RKO’s Astaire-Rogers films, was twice married (his first wife died) and fathered a son. While this alone proves nothing, it does question the automatic assumption Blore was hiding a sexual secret.

[Blore left, Horton right]

http://cdn.things-and-other-stuff.com/wp-content/gallery/edward-everett-horton/horton-blore-01a.jpg

trespoochies
05-01-12, 01:45 PM
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady

inri222
05-01-12, 02:20 PM
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Rock-Feature-third.jpg

Sondheim
05-01-12, 02:21 PM
Well, there's the obvious titles like The Band Wagon, Meet Me in St. Louis,, and Singin' in the Rain - all of which are among my all-time favorites. From the same period, I recently discovered and fell in love with My Sister Eileen.

Count me in as one who thinks Oliver! is underrated (at least nowadays.)

I also really enjoy a lot of the 1930s musicals. Along with the Astaire & Rogers films and Busby Berkeley films (particularly Gold Diggers of 1933), I love Love Me Tonight and the Lubitsch musicals (though I generally like the latter more for their humor and wit than for their musical numbers.)

There are also some great foreign musicals. I adore The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Der Kongress Tanzt, and Rene Clair's Under the Roofs of Paris and Le Million. And though I probably shouldn't admit it, I've recently developed a fondness for classic 1950s Bollywood musicals - particularly Awaara and anything by Guru Dutt. They can be extremely melodramatic and corny, but they're also really, really entertaining and surprisingly emotional (at least to me.)

Navinabob
05-01-12, 02:22 PM
I love Into the Woods, Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog, Labyrinth, and The Muppet Movie.

Ash Ketchum
05-01-12, 02:42 PM
Within a roughly two-year period when I was a kid I saw the following musicals in theaters: WEST SIDE STORY, BEACH PARTY, HOOTENANNY HOOT, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, MARY POPPINS, ROBIN AND THE SEVEN HOODS and HELP!. The Beatles, Frankie and Annette, Johnny Cash, Julie Andrews, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, and "Little" Stevie Wonder, to name only the biggest icons represented in that lineup. All different kinds of music and different styles of filmmaking. And if I'd been so inclined, I could have seen at least two or three Elvis movies in that period. (In retrospect, I wish I'd seen VIVA LAS VEGAS when it came out.) Now, I wasn't a casual moviegoer by any means, even at that age, but even casual moviegoers would have been exposed to a wide range of music in their movies once upon a time.

Mondo Kane
05-01-12, 03:21 PM
Got a wide variety of favs:

Tommy
Mary Poppins
Jesus Christ Superstar
Forbidden Zone
Grease (You're not alone on Part 2, Iggy)
Easter Parade
Cinderella (1977)
Little Shop of Horrors (Hated it at first. Absolutely love it now)
The Happiness of the Katakuris
Singin' in the Rain
The Wicker Man (Seriously)
Reefer Madness-The Musical
Cabin in the Sky
Moulin Rouge (Baz)
Jack & The Beanstalk (Abott&Costello)
Live Freaky, Die Freaky
Call Me Madam (Underrated, imo)
Hedwig/Angry Inch
The Pirate
Cannibal! The Musical
The Gay Divorcee
Phantom of The Paradise

And if I'd been so inclined, I could have seen at least two or three Elvis movies in that period. (In retrospect, I wish I'd seen VIVA LAS VEGAS when it came out.)

Having seen nearly all of Elvis's movies within the past few years, I'm actually surprised at how little of his recognizable songs appear in his films. Only ones I ran into:

Love Me Tender-Title track
King Creole-"Trouble"
Jailhouse Rock-Title Track
Girls! Girls! Girls!-"Return to Sender"
Blue Hawaii-"Can't help falling in love", Title Track
Viva Las Vegas-Title Track

And for the record, Roustabout is my favorite of his :cool:

iggystar
05-01-12, 03:53 PM
Grease (You're not alone on Part 2, Iggy)

LOL! I've had people be one hair short of violent about my love for Grease 2. I mean, we all agree it's bad, pure camp but I have a soft spot for its horrible lyrics and Michelle Pfeiffer singing, "Cool Rider".

Numanoid
05-01-12, 03:56 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Pink_floyd_the_wall.jpg

Jules Winfield
05-01-12, 04:40 PM
Lots of great movies. I've never seen an Elvis movie. Will have to soon. Cabin in the Sky, Phantom of the Paradise, and Hedwig are also ones I forgot to mention. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut is another one that is great.

joe_b
05-01-12, 05:30 PM
I watched Gypsy with Rosalind Russell for the first time recently. I know it got lukewarm reviews when it was released, but I felt it was an excellent adaptation of one of the classic Broadway musicals.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned The Rocky Horror Picture Show yet. I'm also a fan of O'Brien's follow-up, Shock Treatment -- extremely underrated movie.

Oh, and Burton's Sweeney Todd was about the best thing he's directed in years. :D

Solid Snake
05-01-12, 05:50 PM
I was about to say the same thing about RHPS. Love that bitch.

joe_b
05-01-12, 05:54 PM
Forbidden ZoneHELL YES!!!

"You ain't taking me nowhere, you honky bitch!" :lol:
http://www.screenwritingforhollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/forbiddenzone2.jpg

Crocker Jarmen
05-01-12, 06:15 PM
I'm shocked no one has mentioned The Rocky Horror Picture Show yet. I'm also a fan of O'Brien's follow-up, Shock Treatment -- extremely underrated movie.

Huge Rocky Horror fan when I was growing up. I remember being shocked when I read in the Leonard Maltin movie guide that there was a sequel called Shock Treatment. I found a copy at the video store and found that I liked it a lot. It didn't have the same edge as Rocky Horror and the satirical stuff was lost on me, I thought parts of it were just plain moronic, but I liked a lot of the music and watched it multiple times.

Last year I spent some time on YouTube watching clips and was even better than I remembered. I kind of wished I had picked up that DVD combo of the two, as I'd really like to see ST again.

Solid Snake
05-01-12, 06:35 PM
<iframe width="620" height="515" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V0SqS2QJdj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kurtie Dee
05-01-12, 06:38 PM
<i>Once</i> was real good.

Always liked <i>Hello Dolly</i>, too.
<i>Damn Yankees</i> and <i>The Fantasticks</i> - more for the songs than the actual quality of the movies.

Strevlac
05-01-12, 07:35 PM
I like a lot of musicals but for me there is Singin' In The Rain, then there's everything else.

Matthew Chmiel
05-01-12, 09:01 PM
The only things that I can stand in musicals is if it contains a combination of two or more of the following:

Drug Use
Homosexuality
Nudity
Sex
Social Commentary
Violence

If it doesn't meet two of those qualifications, then it sucks. With that said:

Camp
Grease
Grease 2
Hair
Hairspray
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Little Shop of Horrors
Moulin Rouge!
Once
Phantom of the Paradise
Reefer Madness
Repo! The Genetic Opera
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Shock Treatment
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Xanadu

Once and Xanadu are obviously two exceptions to the rule, but I'll allow them as they're either a great film (the former) or double up twice on the homosexuality aspect (the latter).

I don't count Pink Floyd: The Wall as a musical as nobody sings in it. It's basically the entire album set to film.

The Infidel
05-01-12, 11:11 PM
Purple Rain
Purple Rain was a movie that contained music, not a musical.

I don't count Pink Floyd: The Wall as a musical as nobody sings in it. It's basically the entire album set to film.
I agree.

bluetoast
05-01-12, 11:20 PM
Top two:

Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Singin' in the Rain

dugan
05-01-12, 11:23 PM
Does 8 Mile count?

My Other Self
05-01-12, 11:26 PM
Does 8 Mile count?Well, if you're going to include a movie that has no singing in it (freestyle rapping and battle rapping is not singing), then why not include any other movie any other hip-hop star has been in.

Have you never seen a musical?

dugan
05-01-12, 11:29 PM
Well, if you're going to include a movie that has no singing in it (freestyle rapping and battle rapping is not singing), then why not include any other movie any other hip-hop star has been in.

Because in "any movie with any other hip hop star", the songs themselves don't advance the plot. They do in this one.

My Other Self
05-01-12, 11:31 PM
Because in "any movie with any other hip hop star", the songs themselves don't advance the plot. They do in this one.Really? Have you never seen Hustle & Flow?

dugan
05-01-12, 11:36 PM
Really? Have you never seen Hustle & Flow?

I have. And while your point is taken, Hustle & Flow's musical performances were a much less prominent part of the movie (and less frequent) than 8 Mile's musical performances. Enough, IMHO, that I think one was actively trying to be a rap musical and the other was not.

EdTheRipper
05-02-12, 12:31 AM
Across the Universe is my favorite, hands down.

Others that I'm really fond of would be...
Annie
Cry-Baby
Grease
Grease 2
Little Shop of Horrors

Charlie Goose
05-02-12, 12:56 AM
Xanadu (cassette soundtrack is sitting on my desk to my right)

I never got around to seeing the movie, but the soundtrack is indeed great, especially the ELO tracks.

WEST SIDE STORY - my favorite movie of all time

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR - Original is best, but I do like the stage remake from 2000.

GREASE

THE WIZARD OF OZ - Who doesn't like this movie?

HAIR

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

ON THE TOWN - Sinatra!

The Bus
05-02-12, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I don't like them.

But I like <b>Once</b> and I reluctantly agreed to see <b>Footloose</b>.

And I really liked <b>Jersey Boys</b> (on stage), so my tastes can and do change.

iggystar
05-02-12, 05:41 PM
Purple Rain was a movie that contained music, not a musical.

Although there are actual musical performances which are kind of integral to the "plot" flimsy as it is and I've seen in on a few online musical lists, I'll omit it from the genre based on your correction. My apologies DVD Talk musical lovers!!!!!

I do however, stand by my adoration of Chicago and hatred of Moulin Rouge.

iggystar
05-02-12, 05:53 PM
I never got around to seeing the movie, but the soundtrack is indeed great, especially the ELO tracks.

The movie does not hold up well. It's a nostalgia piece from my pre-teens in the early 80's when it ran many, many times on HBO. I watched it more recently and it's really, really bad....but the soundtrack, especially the ELO tracks hold up!

Nick Danger
05-02-12, 09:57 PM
My first thought was Singin' in the Rain.

Also:
Stormy Weather
Gold Diggers of 1933
42nd Street
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Snow White
Pinocchio
Sita Sings the Blues

davidh777
05-03-12, 01:29 AM
Singin' in the Rain: Pretty much perfection

An American in Paris: Flawed, but a great score

Swing Time/Top Hat: Great fun, and my favorites of the 10 Astaire-Rogers flicks

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: Pure fun

Meet Me in St Louis: A little creaky, but Garland is magnificent

West Side Story: Great score well-converted to the screen

The Music Man: One of the few soundtracks I prefer over the Broadway cast

Oklahoma/Carousel/The King and I/The Sound of Music: Great family fare

Hairspray (2007): Not wild about Travolta but fun

Grease 1

Rent: I know people hate it but I find it moving

My Fair Lady
Easter Parade
Oliver!
Fiddler on the Roof
For Me and My Gal
42nd Street
Dr Horrible

SuckaMC
05-03-12, 11:05 AM
Little Shop of Horrors is my number 1. The songs, characters, special fx... all hit home for me when I saw it as a kid. It's also one of those movies that, along with The Thing, showcases the timelessness of great practical effects. It hurts to think that Audrey II would be CG today.

Number 2 would be Grease. I grew up with this as well (from even earlier on).

Grease 2 I have a soft spot for, but it's really a case of the music being better than the movie it's in :)

Does Streets of Fire count?

Mondo Kane
05-28-12, 11:18 PM
THE BANDWAGON

Just wrapped this up earlier. Much better than I expected!

PopcornTreeCt
05-28-12, 11:46 PM
I like a lot of musicals but for me there is Singin' In The Rain, then there's everything else.

This is how I feel too.

ken_572002
05-29-12, 06:12 AM
I also love musicals (mostly post 1960 ones). 1776 is my favorite.

jfoobar
05-29-12, 01:07 PM
Let's see, I love the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory and have pretty much disliked almost every other musical I have ever seen.

I don't personally consider Once a musical. I think Dancer in the Dark is debatable, but I can see both sides of that argument at least. I did enjoy both of those (to the extent that someone can actually "enjoy" DitD).

Paul_SD
05-29-12, 06:49 PM
The movie does not hold up well. It's a nostalgia piece from my pre-teens in the early 80's when it ran many, many times on HBO. I watched it more recently and it's really, really bad....but the soundtrack, especially the ELO tracks hold up!

It's always been bad. I saw it at the theater when I was in Junior High and I was under no illusions it was pretty wretched. Can't say I ever hated the movie though. ONJ probably never looked more fetching on camera, and I was then and still am a fan of the soundtrack. If anything, I enjoy the film more now for campy nostalgia and would love to see it come out on Bd. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't already.

As I get older I find myself enjoying this genre more and more- and the good films within it are usually pretty damn great. I've tried to convert younger co-workers, but they generally aren't having it.

my tastes run pretty conventional here (Music Man, Oklahoma! Seven Brides, Swing Time, WSS, Grease, etc). However I've got a bunch of stuff, mostly from the Warner Archive, that I still have yet to watch-including a ton of Jane Powell vehicles, that could easily end up on a future list of favorites.
In fact, this is one of the few genres where I hardly ever run across a true clunker. Even if the songs are forgettable afterward, just the fact they are incorporated into the narrative at all kind of juices up the proceedings a bit and usually makes for at least a pleasant diversion.

Ash Ketchum
05-30-12, 10:14 AM
One of the problems for younger movie fans is the lack of musicals in the last 20-odd years. So they didn't grow up with them. Once upon a time, musical numbers were a significant part of the fabric of so many different movies.

As a child moviegoer, here are the musicals I saw in theaters in just a two-year period, from 1963-65: WEST SIDE STORY, BEACH PARTY, HOOTENANNY HOOT, MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, ROBIN AND THE SEVEN HOODS, MARY POPPINS, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT and HELP!, with only WEST SIDE STORY being based on a Broadway show. In that same period, there were others I could have seen (but only caught up with later on TV or in reissues): BYE BYE BIRDIE, VIVA LAS VEGAS, MY FAIR LADY, THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, plus countless other Elvis musicals and additional Beach Party spin-offs.

Plus, on TV, numerous variety shows ("Kraft Music Hall," "Hollywood Palace") and teen-oriented pop music shows ("Hullabaloo," "Shindig"). And old musicals in the movie time slots: the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers musicals, the WB Busby Berkeley musicals, the MGM musicals, plus tons of comedies that had major pop music acts from our parents' era, such as the Abbott & Costello movies that featured the Andrews Sisters, the Inkspots and Ella Fitzgerald, among others.

Giles
05-30-12, 10:32 AM
I don't know a musical I haven't liked, oh there are too many choices... hmmmm

1. West Side Story (sans except the omission of the elaborate dance scene in Act 2 of the Broadway theatrical version) (the musical number and specifically the dancing in 'Cool' is my all time favourite movie moment/scene)
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Hello, Dolly!
4. Nightmare Before Christmas
5. The Boyfriend
6. Little Shop of Horrors
7. Tommy (even though the Broadway version is by far my favourite musical version, the movie has it's wild moments - I'd love to see a new film version of the 1993 Broadway incarnation)
8. South Park: Longer, Bigger and Uncut
9. Hairspray (this is one instance the streamlining of the Broadway version to the movie version worked to even better effect: the jail scene in act 2 stops the show dead in it's tracks - the song: 'The Big Dollhouse' is great, but for the most part the producers of the movie did the story a favor by jettisoning the scene in it's entirety)
10. Evita (one of the very few musicals where the story, and all the songs remained virtually intact)

love the songs in Grease, but I really don't like the movie all that much, the stage version is better in my opinion, although the song 'Sandy' was written for the movie. The recent stage version I saw at the Olney (using the 1972 stage notes/song sequencing) featured way more dancing than what was featured in the movie - it looked utterly exhausting. The movie on the plus side has a fun over the top ending, the stage version ties everything up in three minutes time and just ends)

The Sound of Music is a definate fave, but again, I thought the stage version is better than the movie, with some of my favourite songs that didn't get ported over to the movie, notably 'How Can Love Survive?' - and yes, I was in the stage version in Jr. High as the eldest Von Trapp boy: Frederick :D

Hair is another musical I love, but the movie version just didn't cut it - I don't know if a more faithful version could be filmed since it's a musical that was meant to be experienced 'live' - and yes I'm biased since I got to be on stage with the cast for the final number - it was a group love kind of thing where the audience was invited to be one with the characters - one bucket list entry off my list - be on the Broadway stage. (I had my 'Smash' moment)

I love 'The Phantom of the Opera' but the movie just failed on so many levels.

who wants to fund my dream project of filming the 1991 Broadway version of 'The Secret Garden' ??

davidh777
05-30-12, 12:32 PM
who wants to fund my dream project of filming the 1991 Broadway version of 'The Secret Garden' ??

I'm not signing anything until I see your cast list :)

Giles
05-30-12, 12:41 PM
I'm not signing anything until I see your cast list :)

Mandy I heard is difficult to work with ... ;)

davidh777
05-30-12, 01:17 PM
Mandy I heard is difficult to work with ... ;)

Yes, but it's hard for me now to hear anyone else in the role :)

Giles
05-30-12, 01:39 PM
Yes, but it's hard for me now to hear anyone else in the role :)

Philip Quast as 'Archibald' on the Original London Cast recording is excellent.

davidh777
05-30-12, 01:57 PM
Philip Quast as 'Archibald' on the Original London Cast recording is excellent.

I'm going to ruin my nerd credit by saying that I've only heard the OBC :(

will travel
05-31-12, 01:40 AM
HIGH SOCIETY with Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly, and Louis Armstrong.
Lots of great Cole Porter numbers.

Why So Blu?
05-31-12, 01:44 AM
Hedwig and The Angry Inch. We need the Blu-ray.

Cellar Door
05-31-12, 02:55 AM
I have a soft spot for Finian's Rainbow, with Fred Astaire and Petula Clark. We used to watch it every year when I was a kid. It's silly, but a lot of fun, and has some memorable songs.