Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Cruise control on/off, what's the point?

Maxflier
05-01-12, 08:12 AM
It's not like if you have cruise control turned on you HAVE to use it. You set it only if you want to. So what is the point of even having the option to turn it on and off?

The Infidel
05-01-12, 08:29 AM
Maybe so you don't turn it on accidentally? Beats the hell out of me.

Cardsfan111
05-01-12, 08:31 AM
Maybe so you don't turn it on accidentally?

That's the only downside I could see.

I rarely use it, but my controls are on the steering wheel. If I accidentally "set" it at some point, it might cause a temporary panic if I take my foot off of the gas pedal expecting to slow down and find myself still cruising along.

cungar
05-01-12, 08:31 AM
Yeah it's a safety measure so you have to do two steps to turn it on. Something the lawyers thought of.

Maxflier
05-01-12, 08:43 AM
Makes sense I guess. Although I do not recall ever turning it on by accident.

Cardsfan111
05-01-12, 08:45 AM
Now we can move on to more serious problems, such as why we can't put the gas tank on the same side of every vehicle. :grumble:

OldDude
05-01-12, 08:56 AM
Yeah it's a safety measure so you have to do two steps to turn it on. Something the lawyers thought of.

Also the OFF lets you turn it off without hitting the brakes. In heavy traffic, you want to be able to turn it off, not just "coast" down to a lower controlled speed.

Maxflier
05-01-12, 09:01 AM
Also the OFF lets you turn it off without hitting the brakes. In heavy traffic, you want to be able to turn it off, not just "coast" down to a lower controlled speed.

Doesn't cancel do the same thing? Or do all cars not have the cancel button?

The Infidel
05-01-12, 09:07 AM
I just solve the problem by not using the damn thing, which forces me to not be lazy and just keep my foot on the gas pedal and concentrate on what I'm doing, which is attempting to not cause other people's deaths simply because I wanted one less thing to do in the car.

OldDude
05-01-12, 11:41 AM
Doesn't cancel do the same thing? Or do all cars not have the cancel button?

Mine has
ON/OFF (obvious, but must be turned on first)
SET +/- (either sets, tapping + or - gives +1 mph or -1 mph increments to fine tune)
RESUME resumes previous set speed after touching brakes (but not after OFF)

Groucho
05-01-12, 11:47 AM
One more button for me to try and find while I'm flying down the freeway in an unfamiliar rental car.

foxdvd
05-01-12, 12:01 PM
cruise keeps me from getting tickets..

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhejgqJVFT1qzkiaoo1_400.jpg

SterlingBen
05-01-12, 12:03 PM
As opposed to breaking, sometimes I just flip it to off to slow down.

cpgator
05-01-12, 12:12 PM
I just solve the problem by not using the damn thing, which forces me to not be lazy and just keep my foot on the gas pedal and concentrate on what I'm doing, which is attempting to not cause other people's deaths simply because I wanted one less thing to do in the car.

If you can't handle working the CC without crashing, you probably shouldn't be driving at all....

clappj
05-01-12, 12:37 PM
As opposed to breaking, sometimes I just flip it to off to slow down.

What do you break, if you don't flip it off?

;)

Michael Corvin
05-01-12, 12:43 PM
Now we can move on to more serious problems, such as why we can't put the gas tank on the same side of every vehicle. :grumble:

:lol: My wife's car and mine are opposite. Needless to say, there are many times that no matter which car I'm in I forget and have to check.

starman9000
05-01-12, 12:50 PM
It blew my mind when I learned about this:

http://www.natebal.com/images/gas-gauge.jpg

RagingBull80
05-01-12, 12:56 PM
^ Until about 2 months ago I had never even noticed that thing.

Cardsfan111
05-01-12, 01:02 PM

Same with me. Now I remember to look for that if I'm in a rental car or another unfamiliar vehicle.

Still doesn't solve all of the frustrations with having the tank on different sides. I hate pulling into a busy gas station with someone at every pump, and discovering if I want the shortest wait, I have to back in behind someone or go "nose-to-nose" with them to get in line.

Michael Corvin
05-01-12, 02:20 PM
Arrow's nice, but I don't think it's standard.

LurkerDan
05-01-12, 02:22 PM
Mine has
ON/OFF (obvious, but must be turned on first)
SET +/- (either sets, tapping + or - gives +1 mph or -1 mph increments to fine tune)
RESUME resumes previous set speed after touching brakes (but not after OFF)

really? you sure there's no way to "cancel" while still leaving it "on"?

Shannon Nutt
05-01-12, 02:28 PM

Ahh...I remember the good ol' days when you'd just go to the back of the car and pull down your license plate to pump the gas.

Living Dead
05-01-12, 02:49 PM

All the years I've been driving I never noticed that. Just thought it was an icon to label the gas gauge. :doh:

Bandoman
05-01-12, 02:49 PM

Something the engineers thought of, and it is a safety feature to prevent inadvertent activation.

Mabuse
05-01-12, 02:54 PM
Safeties on guns, what's the point?

Why not just a trigger? I wanna shoot damnit!

Also, BMW's don't have the arrow to inform you about the gas tank unless you cycle through the menu of bullshit. The germans don't like to make anything too easy.

LurkerDan
05-01-12, 02:59 PM
Something the engineers thought of, and it is a safety feature to prevent inadvertent activation.

spoken like a lawyer -ohbfrank-

OldDude
05-01-12, 03:05 PM
really? you sure there's no way to "cancel" while still leaving it "on"?

Touch the brakes. The brake switch is a feather touch, you don't really have to apply them. From that state you can RESUME.

If you hit OFF, prior setting is canceled; you can not RESUME, you have to hit ON then SET.

LurkerDan
05-01-12, 03:18 PM
Touch the brakes. The brake switch is a feather touch, you don't really have to apply them. From that state you can RESUME.

If you hit OFF, prior setting is canceled; you can not RESUME, you have to hit ON then SET.

I know how it works. :lol: But every cruise control I have seen that I can recall has a "cancel" feature, even if the operator doesn't know that the feature exists. Mine has a cancel button that is obvious, but my fiancee's is less obvious. The cc on her car is a "stick" on the steering column, and all the functions are moving the stick up or down. Except, if you pull the stick towards you it cancels.

OldDude
05-01-12, 04:03 PM
I know how it works. :lol: But every cruise control I have seen that I can recall has a "cancel" feature, even if the operator doesn't know that the feature exists. Mine has a cancel button that is obvious, but my fiancee's is less obvious. The cc on her car is a "stick" on the steering column, and all the functions are moving the stick up or down. Except, if you pull the stick towards you it cancels.

Ford has used five discrete buttons, and variations, as I described, for many years. The trend has been towards two rockers and a resume button. Some new models have three rockers with a cancel opposite resume. My 2013 Edge has this (I went to look after your note), my previous 2010 Edge did not, and my wife's older Focus does not.

The operator logic is probably slightly different between car manufacturers and over time.

iggystar
05-01-12, 04:09 PM

This!!!!!!

I think I've used cruise control once or twice in my 20+ years of driving. Is pressing on the gas pedal that taxing, really?

I know people who like to use it on long trips, fine, but I have a lazy friend turn it on for a two-mile freeway trip to the mall...in icy conditions!!! Are you kidding me?

Mordred
05-01-12, 04:10 PM

http://www.natebal.com/images/gas-gauge.jpgSomeone many years ago on this site pointed that out to me and I had the same reaction. Last year I took a vacation to San Francisco and my girlfriend was saying that she didn't know which side of the rental car the gas tank was on. Acting like the casual badass that I am, I told her to check the arrow near the gas icon. After a few seconds of:

"What?"
"There's a little arrow near the gas icon on the fuel gauge."
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Look at the fuel gauge. Do you see an arrow or triangle?"
"No."
"It's there. Every car ever made has one."
"I don't see it."

Finally I leaned over to show her how stupid she was and realized that there really was no arrow. First car I'd been in that didn't have one after I learned to start checking.

LurkerDan
05-01-12, 04:14 PM
This!!!!!!

I think I've used cruise control once or twice in my 20+ years of driving. Is pressing on the gas pedal that taxing, really?

I know people who like to use it on long trips, fine, but I have a lazy friend turn it on for a two-mile freeway trip to the mall...in icy conditions!!! Are you kidding me?

Icy conditions is dumb, I grant you. But it's not laziness that causes many people to use it. I use mine all the time, and guess what: it makes me a better and safer driver, not lazy.

iggystar
05-01-12, 04:18 PM
Icy conditions is dumb, I grant you. But it's not laziness that causes many people to use it. I use mine all the time, and guess what: it makes me a better and safer driver, not lazy.

Ok, please enlighten me on the benefits of cruise control outside of saving gas. How has it actually made you a better driver? I know that it's not suggested to use it in rain or icy weather....I'm in Michigan so that cuts out a chunk of the year.

And my friend....she's lazy, hands down.

LurkerDan
05-01-12, 04:26 PM
Ok, please enlighten me on the benefits of cruise control outside of saving gas. How has it actually made you a better driver? I know that it's not suggested to use it in rain or icy weather....I'm in Michigan so that cuts out a chunk of the year.

And my friend....she's lazy, hands down.

First, the obvious: I can ensure that I drive the speed limit and not accidentally faster, thus keeping my car at a safer speed at all times. This has the added bonus of ensuring that I don't get a speeding ticket because of momentary inadvertence, but that isn't something that makes me a safer or better driver (though I do appreciate it!).

When driving, you have to keep track of a number of things, such as the cars in front of you, obstacles near the road, pedestrians, cars behind you, cars in the adjacent lane, and the like. One of those things that you need to keep track of is your speed. Now cruise control doesn't eliminate that need (because of things like hills), but it greatly reduces it. If there are numerous milliseconds during my 5 minute drive where I am not looking down at the speedometer, those are numerous milliseconds where I am instead looking at the road and all the other things that I need to be aware of, thereby making me a more aware and safer driver.

Of course, I could use those milliseconds to text my buddy, too. ;)

starman9000
05-01-12, 04:30 PM
Finally I leaned over to show her how stupid she was and realized that there really was no arrow. First car I'd been in that didn't have one after I learned to start checking.

:lol: Yeah, my Nissan doesn't have one actually, which I noticed today after posting in this thread.

Trelach24
05-01-12, 04:45 PM
I always figured that the gas tank on different sides served a purpose in that it evenly distributed people on the different sides of the aisle at the gas station without them having to do some stupid reverse or drive-around move.

That said, I definitely remember driving my parents' Honda and looking for other Hondas on the road to see which side their tanks were on before pulling into a gas station :lol:

iggystar
05-01-12, 09:52 PM
First, the obvious: I can ensure that I drive the speed limit and not accidentally faster, thus keeping my car at a safer speed at all times. This has the added bonus of ensuring that I don't get a speeding ticket because of momentary inadvertence, but that isn't something that makes me a safer or better driver (though I do appreciate it!).

When driving, you have to keep track of a number of things, such as the cars in front of you, obstacles near the road, pedestrians, cars behind you, cars in the adjacent lane, and the like. One of those things that you need to keep track of is your speed. Now cruise control doesn't eliminate that need (because of things like hills), but it greatly reduces it. If there are numerous milliseconds during my 5 minute drive where I am not looking down at the speedometer, those are numerous milliseconds where I am instead looking at the road and all the other things that I need to be aware of, thereby making me a more aware and safer driver.

Of course, I could use those milliseconds to text my buddy, too. ;)

For me, cruise control is more distracting. Engaging, disengaging from whichever method. I can't use it all the time, whereas I'm pretty good at keeping a steady speed once I've reached it.

But it works for you, so that's cool. Trust me, I've never thought about the dangers of someone misusing their cruise control on the road.

My Other Self
05-01-12, 09:59 PM
My Honda Civic I have now is the only car I've owned that has cruise control as an option. I only use it when I'm on the Interstate, and usually at night since that's when there's the least amount of traffic. I don't get much use out of it.

Dean Kousoulas
05-01-12, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=LurkerDan;11214446]First, the obvious: I could use those milliseconds to text my buddy/QUOTE]

That's all I got out of it ;)

bluetoast
05-01-12, 10:56 PM

Please tell me you saved it by asking her to step out of the car and looking for the square shaped door looking thing near the back? ;)

Mordred
05-02-12, 08:32 AM
:lol: Yeah, my Nissan doesn't have one actually, which I noticed today after posting in this thread.:lol: Makes sense. I'm pretty sure we had rented a Nissan.

mndtrp
05-02-12, 10:01 PM
Ok, please enlighten me on the benefits of cruise control outside of saving gas.

In my pickup cruise control actually uses more gas than when I control the acceleration myself.

In my experience, the side that the fuel gauge itself is on is a good indicator of where the tank opening is. Left side of the cluster, left side of the car.

TomOpus
05-02-12, 10:08 PM
Ok, please enlighten me on the benefits of cruise control outside of saving gas. I've had a long-time injury to my right ankle. If I keep my foot on the accelerator for a long time, it gets really sore. When there's not much traffic and the road is fairly flat, cruise control gives my ankle a chance to move around and stretch.

RForte1189
05-10-12, 12:42 PM
Instead of pressing off like some of you had stated in traffic and what not, if you dont want to have to break to slow down, you know just TAPPING the break pedal once will cancel it right? and you can then "resume" it afterwords.

rabbit77
05-10-12, 09:41 PM
All the years I've been driving I never noticed that. Just thought it was an icon to label the gas gauge. :doh:

You learn something new every day. First I've learned of it, I don't think it's on any of my cars since they've always been on the driver's side.

The Bus
05-11-12, 05:58 AM
For the gas, I just pop it as I'm pulling into the station and listen to see which side it's on.

Cruise control is good but I'd rather have an alarm that tells me when I pass a certain speed. My 328is was the only car I've ever had with one.

twikoff
05-11-12, 06:32 AM
Cruise control is good but I'd rather have an alarm that tells me when I pass a certain speed. My 328is was the only car I've ever had with one.

lots of aftermarket nav systems will do that