DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Dropbox Behaves Strangely

CRM114
04-30-12, 01:13 PM
This pertains to the MacOS X version of Dropbox.

Normally, in MacOS, when you drag a file to a remote volume, it copies the files and leaves the originals in place. For some reason, and maybe it's a setting, when you drag files to Dropbox, it moves them removing the local copy.

This is bizarre and goes against what you'd intuitively think would happen. Am I missing a setting?

Tracer Bullet
04-30-12, 01:32 PM
Dropbox isn't a remote volume. It's a folder.

CRM114
04-30-12, 01:37 PM
But it's a remote volume.

And like other remote volumes, I want to drop stuff in it and then retrieve that copy from another location. I don't want to move them to another location.

On a Mac, it shows up in the sidebar under "Places."

Tracer Bullet
04-30-12, 02:00 PM
But it's a remote volume.

And like other remote volumes, I want to drop stuff in it and then retrieve that copy from another location. I don't want to move them to another location.

On a Mac, it shows up in the sidebar under "Places."

No, it's not, it's a folder.

Dave99
04-30-12, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it's actual file location is still a local folder, and the dropbox app syncs in the background to the cloud from there.

CRM114
04-30-12, 02:20 PM
No, it's not, it's a folder.

They use a folder as an analogy but its space on a remote server. If I copy files to a server, it copies them and does not move them. But now I see how it works. I don't think the analogy works.

Yeah, it's actual file location is still a local folder, and the dropbox app syncs in the background to the cloud from there.

OK, I guess that makes sense. So if I log out of Dropbox, all my shit should still be in the folder. That makes me feel better.

Tracer Bullet
04-30-12, 02:23 PM
They use a folder as an analogy but its space on a remote server. If I copy files to a server, it copies them and does not move them.

That's not relevant, nor is it strictly accurate. There's no "analogy" here: Dropbox is a local folder which uses the Dropbox software and service to sync files to the cloud. It's not a traditional remote volume.

CRM114
04-30-12, 02:26 PM
I see that now. Its predecessors like iDisk didn't work like this. There was no sync but an immediate copy. The way it SHOULD work to make sense as a UI. ;)

Tracer Bullet
04-30-12, 02:31 PM
I see that now. Its predecessors like iDisk didn't work like this. There was no sync but an immediate copy. The way it SHOULD work to make sense as a UI. ;)

Believe me, the first time I moved a file to my Dropbox and saw it disappear from the origin folder I nearly lost it. Then I realized.

CRM114
04-30-12, 02:43 PM
I moved three files from my work computer to Dropbox. I went home and only two of them were there with an email telling me my Dropbox was full. I thought I lost the third file until I came in today and saw it in there with a red X on it.

Dave99
04-30-12, 04:00 PM
OK, I guess that makes sense. So if I log out of Dropbox, all my shit should still be in the folder. That makes me feel better.

Yep, on linux, mac or pc, it syncs your entire dropbox (unless you have changed folder settings), to that local machine, so everything is available offline. On the mobile versions though (at least on android), it doesn't sync everything, only files you select manually.

TheBang
04-30-12, 10:28 PM
No, it's just a different paradigm. You're thinking about it like a remote volume, but you should be thinking about it as a special (local) folder that gets replicated to other places.