DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Think Like A Man

Patman
04-29-12, 10:07 PM
"Think Like A Man" is a comedy about the sexes, and how each side tries to get what they want from their significant other. Based on the Steve Harvey book (in the film), the film intercuts with Harvey's nuggets of relationship wisdom as the script segments the film into "chapters" featuring a group of guy friends into male archetypes and their dating/relationship exploits. The main problem with a movie like this is that the characters come off far too one-dimensional, but comedy is played broadly, so it works on that level, but it's not all that involving for the handful of relationships that get scrutinized as the women try to use Harvey's advice to change their men's behavior in their relationship dynamic.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

whotony
04-29-12, 10:25 PM
You went to see this?

JumpCutz
04-29-12, 11:12 PM
This thread will not make it to page 2.

Giantrobo
04-29-12, 11:30 PM
Yeah totally the Wrong audience on this site. Doesnt matter how good it is, the demo here just isnt interested.

Solid Snake
04-30-12, 12:19 AM
You went to see this?

this.

And..I'm not criticizing you but....why do you watch so many movies of such varieties? Seems like I'll always see review post from you based off every US mainstream or better publicized smaller films.

mhg83
04-30-12, 12:36 AM
Yeah totally the Wrong audience on this site. Doesnt matter how good it is, the demo here just isnt interested.

Well a lot of people must like it. It got #1 again for the second week.

JumpCutz
04-30-12, 01:01 AM
Well a lot of people must like it. It got #1 again for the second week.

That's a sure sign of quality!

Giantrobo
04-30-12, 02:43 AM
That's a sure sign of quality!

:lol: Yeah but still, no one here is the target audience so its odd that some would even care. Very few dvdtalkers here fit the demo for a Steve Harvey film.

Timber
04-30-12, 10:42 AM
Absolutely loved this movie. I'm technically in the "target audience" but you couldn't pay me to watch a Tyler Perry movie. This was a lot of fun and I'm not sure Meagan Good could have been any hotter.

Maybe if more Black films didn't resort to preaching I'd see more of them.

TomOpus
04-30-12, 11:42 AM
That's a sure sign of quality!Has nothing to do with quality. It's a sign that people must be entertained by the movie. A movie doesn't have to be a critical darling to be entertaining.

Every week there is going to be a #1 movie. Every week there are going to be new movies. When a movie is #1 over new movies shows there's a preference either for the older movie or against the newer movies.

Osiris3657
04-30-12, 11:55 AM
I bet Patman is trying to land a movie critic gig for some site or paper, that's why he sees everything regardless of quality.

Patman
04-30-12, 12:34 PM
I kinda like black comedies, if they have well-written characters. Though, these sorts of movies (battle of the sexes) write themselves, was hoping for a better script.

For the record, I did avoid seeing Ghost Rider 2, and Lockout. :)

Jules Winfield
04-30-12, 01:00 PM
I kinda like black comedies, if they have well-written characters. Though, these sorts of movies (battle of the sexes) write themselves, was hoping for a better script.

For the record, I did avoid seeing Ghost Rider 2, and Lockout. :)

What do you have against flaming skeletons who piss fire?

The Bus
04-30-12, 01:48 PM
Very few dvdtalkers here fit the demo for a Steve Harvey film.

Or know who he is.

devilshalo
04-30-12, 02:06 PM
I kinda like black comedies, if they have well-written characters.
So did you like Death to Smoochy?

Jules Winfield
04-30-12, 03:04 PM
Patman, how fucking dare you talk about movies in the movie forum!!*Jules punches Patman*

iggystar
04-30-12, 03:13 PM
Absolutely loved this movie. I'm technically in the "target audience" but you couldn't pay me to watch a Tyler Perry movie. This was a lot of fun and I'm not sure Meagan Good could have been any hotter.

Maybe if more Black films didn't resort to preaching I'd see more of them.

I guess I'm in the targeted audience for these movies but if there aren't any explosions, superheroes or spaceships, I'm usually not interested I don't care who makes the movie, Black, White or other.

I will admit to having seen a few of Perry's films but the last one I saw was beyond, beyond ridiculous even knowing how ridiculous his movies are.

I might catch this on DVD or cable.

Mondo Kane
04-30-12, 03:14 PM
This was a lot of fun and I'm not sure Meagan Good could have been any hotter.

Hotter than working at Hooters (http://www.newsgab.com/attachments/celebrity-pictures/82081d1192894676-meagan-good-hooters-girl-pics-meagan-good3.jpg)?

Patman
04-30-12, 03:40 PM
So did you like Death to Smoochy?

Here's what I wrote in 2002 about that movie:

Loved the hard-R material (mostly filthy language from a deranged Robin Williams). It was like being back at a George Carlin comedy concert in some respects.

The situations are funny, the overall plot wasn't too engaging. The performances ranged from "you got to be kidding me" funny to "oooo-kay, that's over the top" funny.

The performances of the principle actors (Norton and Williams) overcome a so-so script. I am thinking the writers thought just the spectacle of a lovable environmentally conscious rhino would be enough.

If you're in a foul mood, you might get some laughs out of the film.

I did enjoy the credits sequence at the end of the film.

I think if you're a fan of the actors involved, you won't be too disappointed. I have to say that punchdrunk restaurant owner (former Irish boxer) character was painfully funny (in that "I know I shouldn't be laughing but I am" way).

It could have been a great satire on the whole kiddie entertainment genre, but somewhere it lost sight of that central theme and discarded it for a more pedestrian fare/plot.

I'd give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Patman
04-30-12, 03:44 PM
Patman, how fucking dare you talk about movies in the movie forum!!*Jules punches Patman*

I know, right! Ow!

Solid Snake
04-30-12, 06:25 PM
Take it like a man, motherfucker.

Matt925
04-30-12, 08:37 PM
I thought it was amusing and entertaining with a couple big laughs. A little long though and the beginning felt way too much like a commercial for the book. But it's a pleasant movie and definitely worth renting or watching on cable.

The ron artest cameo was a little surprising. The executives behind the movie must've been pissed with that timing.

GoldenJCJ
04-30-12, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately, on the surface at least, this thing resembles a Tyler Perry flick too much. I could have sworn it was a Tyler Perry movie until I just looked it up. As far as this demographic at least, that hurts this films chances of being seen. Tyler Perry's to blame! :lol:

I don't know who Meagan Good is but I've recently developed a huge crush on Taraji P. Henson. And Gabrielle Union is just plain hot!

Jules Winfield
04-30-12, 09:12 PM
this.

And..I'm not criticizing you but....why do you watch so many movies of such varieties?

This is such a weird question. Do you only watch one type of movie? How boring.

Solid Snake
04-30-12, 09:19 PM
Not really....I can't pinpoint the fucker. The man has a shit ton of short reviews here.

Matthew Chmiel
04-30-12, 09:21 PM
And..I'm not criticizing you but....why do you watch so many movies of such varieties? Seems like I'll always see review post from you based off every US mainstream or better publicized smaller films.
MoviePass.

Jules Winfield
04-30-12, 09:25 PM
Not really....I can't pinpoint the fucker. The man has a shit ton of short reviews here.

Patman is the movie forum cockroach. What some of us look down on is a tasty gourmet meal to him.

P.S.-I used to watch a broad range of movies but as I've grown older, I've been less lenient on shit that looks the same and/or boring. This movie may be gold but I'll never know because there's all kinds of more interesting looking stuff out there.

Mondo Kane
04-30-12, 09:42 PM
This thread will not make it to page 2.

Let's go for 3! :D

whotony
04-30-12, 10:10 PM
Let's go for 3! :D

If your settings are 10 posts a page, I'm still on page one.

As for going to movies like this. It's too expensive to go to see every movie these days so movies like this one get taken off the list quickly. I have decided to be very selective.

As Matthew mentioned, there is movie pass. Matthew I think you did sign up for that?
I signed up and have an account but no theaters near me are participating.

I'm not sure if Pat has or not I think he just goes to the movies often. Pat do you have a particular theater you go to?

My Other Self
04-30-12, 10:19 PM
MoviePass.So $50 a month, but since it's you and your wife, that's $100. Is it really worth that since you see so much shit sandwiched in between the actual good movies?

That, or you have money to burn. :lol:

Patman
05-01-12, 12:55 AM
I'm really looking forward to reviewing Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection for this forum...

Patman
05-01-12, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure if Pat has or not I think he just goes to the movies often. Pat do you have a particular theater you go to?

I have several different theater options in my town, some show the usual fare, others show the artsy-fartsy fare.

JumpCutz
05-01-12, 01:23 AM
I have several different theater options in my town, some show the usual fare, others show the artsy-fartsy fare.

Serious question. Do you review the artsy-fartsy fare regularly also? I usually notice your reviews are primarily on mainstream films. Pretty sure you see your fair share of independent/ art films though.

FWIW, I enjoy your mini-reviews Patman. :thumbsup:

Matthew Chmiel
05-01-12, 02:31 AM
So $50 a month, but since it's you and your wife, that's $100. Is it really worth that since you see so much shit sandwiched in between the actual good movies?

That, or you have money to burn. :lol:
We pay $60 a month total between the two of us. However, I've already received two months free for referring friends and my wife also got a month free. The service has already paid for itself and then some.

Solid Snake
05-01-12, 02:32 AM
60 bucks a month....eh.

Patman
05-01-12, 12:11 PM
Serious question. Do you review the artsy-fartsy fare regularly also? I usually notice your reviews are primarily on mainstream films. Pretty sure you see your fair share of independent/ art films though.

FWIW, I enjoy your mini-reviews Patman. :thumbsup:

I find that I seek out the artsy-fartsy stuff in the fall when the more well-regarded films show up (like "Shame" or "The Fall" or "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly", and more adult NC-17-ish films). Those theaters are further in the city for me, so I more picky on those theater visits.

Glad you're enjoying my mini-reviews written at a 3rd grade level. :)

I had no idea folks here view me as a movie-viewing cockroach, thought this was a place for people who liked watching movies. I like watching movies, and try not to be too closed-minded on them, else I'd missed out on modern classics, like "Black Dynamite".

whotony
05-01-12, 12:18 PM
Jules in his own mind probably meant that to be taken in a good way.

iggystar
05-01-12, 01:46 PM
I had no idea folks here view me as a movie-viewing cockroach, thought this was a place for people who liked watching movies. I like watching movies, and try not to be too closed-minded on them, else I'd missed out on modern classics, like "Black Dynamite".

Actually when I think of DVDTalk movie reviews, your name is the the first to pop in my head and personally I've been appreciating your reviews for years.

I check out the official site movie reviews here, but you're my go to "man in the field" reviewer. I like that you watch a bit of every genre, which makes your opinion pretty well-rounded overall. I don't always agree with your reviews, but I do always respect them because I know they're not biased in the "I'm only a super-comic book fanboy movie watcher" way. That's coming from someone who skews more to geek fare myself, but is technically is in a completely different demographic.

You're the bizness Patman!

Jules Winfield
05-01-12, 05:43 PM
Jules in his own mind probably meant that to be taken in a good way.

Yeah, I don't really think Patman is a cockroach. I may not always agree with his reviews but I'm glad that he's here doing his thing. Fucking do it up, Patman.

Mr. Cinema
05-01-12, 05:53 PM
I barely have time to watch movies I am interested in.

Matthew Chmiel
05-01-12, 11:44 PM
60 bucks a month....eh.
The average cost per ticket in Vegas is $10.50. If my wife and I see three movies a month, the service pays for itself.

Solid Snake
05-01-12, 11:49 PM
..like..JUST the ticket for the movie?

My Other Self
05-01-12, 11:50 PM
If my wife and I see three movies a month, the service pays for itself.But that's just it. I can never find 3 worthwhile movies to see in a month.

I dunno, I wouldn't just see a bunch of crap just for the sake of going to the movies. There's better use I can make of my time.

Matthew Chmiel
05-02-12, 12:00 AM
..like..JUST the ticket for the movie?
Yes.

In Vegas:

$10.50 is the average for a film after 6pm, $3.00 more if its 3D.
$8.00 is the average for a film before 6pm, $3.00 more if its 3D.
IMAX ranges from $14.00 - $17.00 depending on what time of day you go.

We tend to see most films after 6pm.

But that's just it. I can never find 3 worthwhile movies to see in a month.
The movies she chooses to see are crap (i.e. Mirror Mirror and This Means War come to mind). However, we've seen a lot of quality with the service.

My Other Self
05-02-12, 12:12 AM
I wish I was paying $10.50 after 6pm. It's $13.00 after 6 on Friday and Saturdays and $12 the rest of the week (with the exception of Tuesdays, which is $5 all day). Matinees are $10.00.

The movies she chooses to see are crap (i.e. Mirror Mirror and This Means War come to mind). However, we've seen a lot of quality with the service.I'll give you credit, I didn't even know about this service but now I hear it I always associate it with you. They should be giving more free shit for being such a promoter.

iggystar
05-02-12, 10:28 AM
But that's just it. I can never find 3 worthwhile movies to see in a month.

I dunno, I wouldn't just see a bunch of crap just for the sake of going to the movies. There's better use I can make of my time.

For some, going to the movies is a hobby like reading, knitting, taking walks. I guess going to the movies is their hobby, while your free time is used elsewhere.

Patman
05-02-12, 12:03 PM
Actually when I think of DVDTalk movie reviews, your name is the the first to pop in my head and personally I've been appreciating your reviews for years.

I check out the official site movie reviews here, but you're my go to "man in the field" reviewer. I like that you watch a bit of every genre, which makes your opinion pretty well-rounded overall. I don't always agree with your reviews, but I do always respect them because I know they're not biased in the "I'm only a super-comic book fanboy movie watcher" way. That's coming from someone who skews more to geek fare myself, but is technically is in a completely different demographic.

You're the bizness Patman!

Maybe I should start off all my mini-reviews with "Dear Iggy". :) Thanks.

iggystar
05-02-12, 01:46 PM

LOL, better yet they could just make your mini-reviews a feature.

I wasn't getting anywhere near this movie until my brother gave it the thumbs up (it was a date movie for him) and your review. I might check it out at the dollar movie.

Matthew Chmiel
05-02-12, 03:33 PM
Dear Penthouse Forum,

I never thought this would happen to me...

I wish I was paying $10.50 after 6pm. It's $13.00 after 6 on Friday and Saturdays and $12 the rest of the week (with the exception of Tuesdays, which is $5 all day). Matinees are $10.00.

I'll give you credit, I didn't even know about this service but now I hear it I always associate it with you. They should be giving more free shit for being such a promoter.
The Regal theaters here in town are priced that way, but I tend to avoid them as they're not covered under MoviePass. ;)

The two theaters that are closest to me support IMAX, independent films and MoviePass. It's a win-win-win. :) There have been some solid films released this year: 21 Jump Street, The Cabin in the Woods, Jeff, Who Lives at Home, John Carter, etc. Then again, I've also sat through Casa de mi Padre and The Devil Inside. So there's that.

gp1086
11-08-12, 02:04 AM
I watched Think Like A Man tonight and really enjoyed it. Some good storytelling with a strong cast and entertaining laughs. One of the better romantic comedies I've seen from the past few years. Recommended.