DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Question about drinking

PenguinJoe
04-29-12, 10:00 PM
So I don't consider myself a hard drinker but I have been drinking since about fifteen years old cause my Dad owned a couple of bars when we lived in Austin so alcohol was fairly easy access to me. But I'm going to be 30 in less than a year so I wonder about this, I've been drinking maybe once or twice a week for fifteen years now mostly whiskey ginger ale how long do you have to be a drinker before it starts hurting your body? Granted I don't always drink whiskey I drink beer on occassion but my mindset has always been why drink beer when you know you want whiskey.

X
04-29-12, 10:04 PM
I don't know about when it starts hurting your body, but not being happy with beer and wanting whiskey instead might be an indication of something.

JZ1276
04-29-12, 10:07 PM
At the rate you drink, unless youre getting shitfaced twice a week when you do drink, I dont think you'll do any damage to your body.

Solid Snake
04-29-12, 10:08 PM
At the rate you drink, unless youre getting shitfaced twice a week when you do drink, I dont think you'll do any damage to your body.

this

Numanoid
04-29-12, 10:21 PM
I drink two or three nights a week (usually weekends), and although I drink quite a bit since my tolerance levels are way up thanks to almost 30 years of drinking, I never get "shit-faced". I too have worried that maybe I drink too much and what the effects are, then I hear from other people that drink literally every day and are perfectly healthy. So I don't know. My guess if that you are not drinking every day, and can easily go for a stretch without drinking (in other words, you're not addicted), I'd say you're going to be just fine.

Hadrian7
04-29-12, 10:22 PM
Unless you have a medical condition affecting your liver (hepatitis,cirrhosis, fatty liver, etc), are on certain medications that can elevate your liver enzymes ( statin lowering cholesterol drugs) or drinking in excess amounts when you do drink, you should be fine with alcohol. For most people, the direct effects of alcohol (except in excess) is pretty minimal while the indirect effects (drinking and driving) are more damaging. Also, don't take Tylenol or acetaminophen if you are drinking since it can exacerbate liver damage. Instead take ibuprofen or naproxen for your post drinking hangover.

cungar
04-29-12, 10:32 PM
You'll be fine but you'll look like this at 50

http://www.ireport.cz/images/ireport/clanky/Shane_McGowan/shane.jpg

whoopdido
04-29-12, 10:43 PM
^
But still...more than likely that guy (or any random hardcore alcoholic) has been drinking a liter of alcohol every day for the last 30 years and still made it to 50. How many people people have you heard of literally drinking themselves to death before they reach say 40 or 50? I'm not talking about Amy Wineouse or Jim Morrison. Drugs obviously played a part. Not taking death by vehicle into account, I seriously think you'd have to drink like a madman everyday for 20 to 30 years before it actually killed you. The amount of alcohol that went into and out of your system in that period of time would be staggering. A few drinks a day for 15 years is nothing. And of course most of us know that many studies have found that one to two alcoholic drinks per day is actually beneficial to your health.

In short...you're perfectly fine.

PopcornTreeCt
04-29-12, 10:45 PM
Drinking twice a week since you were 15? Holy shit dude. I disagree with the others and think it is bad for you. I started drinking about twice a week a year ago and felt a sharp decline in my health. I drink a few times a month now.

I assume you're eating well and getting moderate exercise? If drinking is your only vice then you might not be so bad.

PenguinJoe
04-29-12, 10:49 PM
Drinking and sex are my only vices, I don't smoke but have in the past. But I generally don't get shit faced I like a whiskey or bourbon buzz sometimes, I deal with a lot of dumb people.

NORML54601
04-29-12, 10:50 PM
Drinking threads always amuse me.

Some guy at the bar tonight was half drunk and told me he'd had 4 mugs and hadn't peed and that was a record. I can drink 2 PITCHERS without pissing. I drink too much, but lightweights still amuse me. Call me when you wake up naked with a wet stain in the corner cause you thought that was the bathroom cause you were still drunk when you woke up to pee.*

*Only happened once you fuckers.

Troy Stiffler
04-29-12, 10:58 PM
^
But still...more than likely that guy (or any random hardcore alcoholic) has been drinking a liter of alcohol every day for the last 30 years and still made it to 50.

!!! "That guy" sings like an angel. If anything, he's a reason TO drink.

Troy Stiffler
04-29-12, 11:03 PM
And I think that you have to drink more than once or twice a week to do long term damage. That seems casual enough to me. But I dunno. I think it's been 2-3 years since I last got drunk. Mostly because I don't have any friends ('cept for you bunch of jerks).

PenguinJoe
04-29-12, 11:18 PM
@Troystiffler you don't need friends to drink with all the time, I like to cue up some Arrested Development on Netflix or something I haven't seen get in my comfy Lakers sweatpants and pour a Jamo & Ginger Ale. I do this especially if the girlfriend hasn't gotten home from work because when she gets home she has like a million things for me to do and like to talk loudly on her cell to her friend. I like to think of this time as "me time". Hell, I bought some white cheddar popcorn from Trader Joes and hid it in my trunk for Tuesday her next work late day.

Troy Stiffler
04-29-12, 11:46 PM
Yea that never works for me. Sometimes it's fun. Usually it just ends with me falling asleep early and then I'm awake at 2AM.

And I've only ever been 'blackout drunk' once in my life. I've been 90% there a few times (and that was the most fun). Then I've been slightly drunk probably 100 times. I'm around your age.

Anyways, I don't think that weekly drinking is any worse than eating a cheeseburger. I just wouldn't push it. I have a sibling who does serious drinking daily, and it's not pretty (and my Dad tells me that we have a gene in there somewhere ... his side of the family drinks a lot ... but not him).

kvrdave
04-29-12, 11:59 PM
I drink every night, about 2-3 ounces of rum over a period of 3 hours or so. Started 3 years ago when I was 38. Talked to the doctor about it and he said there was no reason to worry about it physically so long as I don't become addicted. Since I try not to take a night off, there's no way to know if I'm addicted or not, so that's got to be a good sign.

So long as you are healthy, you're liver can take moderate drinking, and that sounds like what you do.

Abelkems
04-30-12, 12:00 AM
I worry about the same thing since I am getting older and should constrict my intake, but I like to drink, so I limit myself to ~16oz of whiskey every other night, which is still probably overboard, but it's a cut back from what I used to do. Although, if I'm hanging out with friends, I stick to beer because I want to have fun without being wasted.

whoopdido
04-30-12, 12:07 AM
16 oz? A typical shot or drink is 1.25 oz. So you're having basically 13 drinks every other day or almost 7 drinks every day. That's a ton dude.

kvrdave
04-30-12, 12:08 AM
:lol: Well now I feel like a piker.

Abelkems
04-30-12, 12:18 AM
16 oz? A typical shot or drink is 1.25 oz. So you're having basically 13 drinks every other day or almost 7 drinks every day. That's a ton dude.

For me, that is four drinks. I pull about four ounces of whiskey topped with a splash of cola for each glass.

kvrdave
04-30-12, 12:38 AM
I pull about 1.5 oz of rum with 24 oz. of coke. :lol:

whoopdido
04-30-12, 12:57 AM
For me, that is four drinks. I pull about four ounces of whiskey topped with a splash of cola for each glass.

Well you could put all 16 oz in one glass and then say you have 1 drink per day.

I'm just going by the standard alcohol amounts. One 1.25 shot of hard alcohol = one 12 oz beer = one 5 oz glass of wine. The amount of hard alcohol in a standard shot might be 1.5 oz. There seems to be some conflicting opinions.

Supposedly you need to limit yourself to 5 standard drinks or less per day or else you have a "problem".

Heat
04-30-12, 01:38 AM
This will depend on your weight but if you are an average sized guy (say, 170 pounds on up), you can drink one or two drinks per day without any adverse health effects. In fact, you will get positive health benefits - stronger heart & kidney, and reduced risk of certain types of cancer and dementia.

So... limit yourself to one or two drinks per day, except for "special occasions" which should be no more often than once a week, preferably no more often than once every couple of weeks. And as said above, a shot of hard liquor is 1.5 ounce. 16 ounces in a day is a lot. I had a friend who could drink like that -heck, from what I heard he would drink a bottle of vodka every day, plus beer. He died a year ago from cirrhosis of the liver, at 45.

The Bus
04-30-12, 05:46 AM
Drinking threads always amuse me.

Some guy at the bar tonight was half drunk and told me he'd had 4 mugs and hadn't peed and that was a record. I can drink 2 PITCHERS without pissing. I drink too much, but lightweights still amuse me. Call me when you wake up naked with a wet stain in the corner cause you thought that was the bathroom cause you were still drunk when you woke up to pee.*

*Only happened once you fuckers.

This post has the exact opposite effect of what you intended it to.

Nick Danger
04-30-12, 12:36 PM

Every night!?! You lush!

aktick
04-30-12, 12:40 PM

How can you even taste the rum at all? :lol: When I drink rum and coke, it's about a 50/50 mix.

kvrdave
04-30-12, 12:53 PM
It tastes like diet coke with a hint of caramel. :lol: I drink two of those a night. I have to pee a lot.

Nick Danger
04-30-12, 12:58 PM
Pay attention to your body. If I have one beer or one shot after dinner, I can feel it the next morning. The sensation is slight, but it's there.

It makes more sense to learn what effect alcohol has on you than asking other people what works for them. Once you've learned the effect, decide at what quantity of alcohol the enjoyment is worth the consequences. I usually stop after 3-4 drinks, or I get brutal hangovers. Norml usually stops before he wakes up on the bathroom floor with urine soaked pants. Up to our stopping points, we enjoy ourselves and we accept the consequences.

Nick Danger
04-30-12, 12:59 PM
It tastes like diet coke with a hint of caramel. :lol: I drink two of those a night. I have to pee a lot.

You drink 48 ounces of Coke every night before bed? If you ever go cold turkey, you're going to get wicked caffeine headaches.

LurkerDan
04-30-12, 02:04 PM
this thread makes me feel much better about myself.

majorjoe23
04-30-12, 02:10 PM
You drink 48 ounces of Coke every night before bed? If you ever go cold turkey, you're going to get wicked caffeine headaches.

Notice that Dave didn't capitalize Coke. I think he's telling us he mixes his snow with lines with a slight bit of alcohol. That's gotta be a rush.

kvrdave
04-30-12, 02:12 PM

I'm guessing that is about what it is. I drink nearly a 2 liter per night. My ratio of rum to coke may be even more wuss-like that I originally stated. That starts about 6 pm and goes to about 7 pm for the two drinks. I feel like I haven't had anything to drink by the 9pm easily. I go to bed around midnight, and by then I've peed enough to get through the night without waking up.

kvrdave
04-30-12, 02:13 PM
Notice that Dave didn't capitalize Coke. I think he's telling us he mixes his snow with lines with a slight bit of alcohol. That's gotta be a rush.

:lol: I drink enough that I buy the store brank 2 liters.

Deftones
04-30-12, 02:17 PM
after reading how much coke dave drinks, i think that'll kill him before the rum does. :lol:

The Bus
04-30-12, 02:26 PM
I never figured Dave for a Kiwi.

TomOpus
04-30-12, 02:39 PM
I must really be in a very small minority that doesn't drink very often. Last Saturday I had a small glass of wine with dinner and that was the only drink I've had this year.

LurkerDan
04-30-12, 02:40 PM
after reading how much coke dave drinks, i think that'll kill him before the rum does. :lol:

no shit, 2-3 oz of liquor is the least of his problems. Dave, is it real Coke or diet Coke?

LurkerDan
04-30-12, 02:41 PM
I must really be in a very small minority that doesn't drink very often. Last Saturday I had a small glass of wine with dinner and that was the only drink I've had this year.

what the hell is wrong with you!

;)

Numanoid
04-30-12, 03:11 PM
When I drink, I drink to get buzzed, otherwise I don't really see the point in bothering with alcohol at all. I mix 3 oz. of hard liquor (vodka, rum or whisk[e]y) with about 12 oz. of cola, tea, ginger ale, whatever, and lots of ice. I usually end up drinking 3 to 5 of those in a session, but that's over the course of 10 - 12 hours. I never get "drunk", just a little buzzed from the first drink that is maintained at a fairly even level since I take so long to finish each subsequent drink. So like Abelkems, I'm putting down 15 to 16 oz. in a night of drinking, but it divides out to only about a legal "drink" per hour. On paper it's a lot, but is it really taxing my liver that much?

Nick Danger
04-30-12, 11:21 PM

It's self-selection. The teetotalers aren't going to click on this thread.

I finished my second six pack for the year. I have less than one drink per week, but you're having less than one drink per quarter. The good thing about drinking at the rate you do is you can afford to drink nothing but the really expensive stuff.

kvrdave
04-30-12, 11:27 PM
I started 2 or 3 years ago when my kids started to annoy me more. I remembered when I was growing up and there were a couple of years when my parents drank a few drinks every night as well. :lol:

no shit, 2-3 oz of liquor is the least of his problems. Dave, is it real Coke or diet Coke?

Diet. Hell, that would be around 2,000 calories otherwise. I do always ask my doctor how my kidney function is doing when I get a blood test. And this is actually down from around 4 liters (or more) per day a few years ago. I've cut back. You should be proud of me. :)

DaveWadding
05-01-12, 01:06 AM
3 shots of whiskey + 12 oz Coke Zero = the only drink I need when I'm sitting at home.

The Bus
05-01-12, 08:13 AM
When I drink, I drink to get buzzed, otherwise I don't really see the point in bothering with alcohol at all.

What are you, seventeen years old?

You can honestly tell me there isn't a single alcoholic beverage that <i>tastes</i> good to you?

LurkerDan
05-01-12, 11:14 AM
Diet. Hell, that would be around 2,000 calories otherwise. I do always ask my doctor how my kidney function is doing when I get a blood test. And this is actually down from around 4 liters (or more) per day a few years ago. I've cut back. You should be proud of me. :)

I don't even want to think about what that much diet soda chemicals can do to a man. Make him lose his hair, at the very least.

aktick
05-01-12, 11:28 AM

You can honestly tell me there isn't a single alcoholic beverage that <i>tastes</i> good to you?

His post confused me too, considering he's always active in the great beer thread. :scratch2:

If I'm drinking for effect, I'm sure as hell not going to be drinking high dollar microbrews. :lol:

kvrdave
05-01-12, 11:28 AM
I don't even want to think about what that much diet soda chemicals can do to a man. Make him lose his hair, at the very least.

:lol: Make the hair migrate to his back, give him a poor disposition towards dogs, you name it.

Tracer Bullet
05-01-12, 11:35 AM

Yeah, this is weird. I'll have a beer sometimes with dinner because I like beer, not because I want to get drunk.

kefrank
05-01-12, 11:46 AM
I've had about the same amount of alcohol in 2012. I've just never found it very appealing to the taste buds or the body in general. I prefer to risk damage to my organs by indulging in red meat instead.

Xander
05-01-12, 12:10 PM
I'm a big craft beer fan. I enjoy finding new beers, expanding my palate, and learning about beer and how it is made. I usually drink 1 or 2 beers a night. Maybe a couple more on weekends or special occasions. Haven't had any issues, except those extra calories make it harder to lose weight. =/