Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

Aceguy
04-29-12, 01:22 PM
I don't have an a HDTV or a blu ray player so I still buy DVDs exclusively. I have a fairly small collection (maybe about 100 titles). Anyone else still buy them?

EdTheRipper
04-29-12, 01:38 PM
I was buying them regularly as recently as February. Since I went HD and got a Blu-ray player, BDs make up the majority of my purchases. I do still buy some stuff on dvd but not nearly as much.

BobO'Link
04-29-12, 01:57 PM
I still have CRT and DVD. When the CRT dies I'll replace it with a HDTV. Most of the content I purchase is older TV programming or "catalog" type movies, both of which rarely receive a Blu-ray release, so I have little interest in that format. I purchase 10-20 DVD titles per month and it seems to be increasing with all the studios "clearancing" their DVD releases.

lisadoris
04-29-12, 02:47 PM
I still buy DVDs for movies I might use in class since my university doesn't have blu-ray players.

walletboyniac
04-29-12, 03:31 PM
With the return of the flea markets, I'll be buying them by the bagful again. On average, they're $2/each (generally $1, $2, $3 max), so it doesn't sting as much to take chances. I like to stock up on old (and newer) horror movies, which often won't make it to blu-ray.

smurr05
04-29-12, 03:57 PM
I have not and will not ever buy anything else but SD DVD's. My collection is too large and they look just fine to me on my TV. I absolutely have no need to change to Blu-ray ever! Nuff Said-

Spottedfeather
04-29-12, 04:15 PM
Since certain worthless directors refuse to put out the real versions of their movies, I'll stick with the dvds. Same with the Star Trek movies. Until they put out the cuts of the movies that were on the 2 discs sets from a few years ago, I'll keep the dvds. Or The Thing, which the blu-ray doesn't have the right features. Or Predator, which as everyone knows, has a blu-ray transfer for the simple minded.

Keeping buying dvds all depends on wether the blu-ray has a defective transfer like Predator, or doesn't have the right features or cuts like the Star Trek movies and Star Wars. If you care about film, you'll buy the best cut of the movie with the proper features, even if it's on dvd.

kd5
04-29-12, 05:46 PM
No Aceguy, you're not the only person who still buys DVDs. My entire collection is DVD, I don't have a blu-ray player, don't plan on getting one unless my DVD player dies at which point I may look into buying a blu-ray player and subsequently blu-ray discs. At this point in time I don't really care about blu-ray, my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing. I'll continue to buy standard DVDs until it becomes more advantageous to buy blu-ray. Probably by the time I'm ready to start buying blu-rays, the next new technology will have surfaced, everyone will have moved to it, and I'll have to bear their derision at not having moved along with it as well. Can't win for losing. -kd5-

Regulus
04-29-12, 06:12 PM
Yesterday I purchased two Full TV Series, one Mini-Series, nine Movies and four Documentaries, on VHS while "Garage Sailing", all for FOUR BUX! :D

I have three VHS Players in Storage in case the one I'm currently using dies. As long as they work and as long as I can fined something on VHS for CHEAP, I'll continue using them.

Ash Ketchum
04-29-12, 06:39 PM
I still buy them. Just over a week ago I went to Entertainment Outlet on 14th Street in Manhattan and bought 5 DVDs containing 11 movies for a total of about $69 + tax, all from the classic film section. I once lucked out there with a 2-for-$10 deal, where I spent $30 on 6 DVDs containing a total of 18 films, all classics, all legit studio releases.

I go to Book Off for used DVDs and HQ Video for Japanese releases. When Book Off was still selling VHS, I was buying those because the prices were so good and I could pick up stuff I wanted to see but didn't want to pay a lot of money for and didn't care if it was on DVD or not. That's how I finally saw MAGNOLIA, AMADEUS and OUT OF AFRICA.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-29-12, 07:34 PM
I have not and will not ever buy anything else but SD DVD's. My collection is too large and they look just fine to me on my TV. I absolutely have no need to change to Blu-ray ever! Nuff Said-

Grandma said the same thing about VHS. She's dead now. Coincidence?

Aceguy
04-29-12, 09:21 PM
I'm glad there is still support for the format. I've watched Blu-Rays before and I am not impressed. I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray. DVD is dying slowly, and it will be around for at least a few years (I say 5-10). I really don't care about the DVD and Blu-Ray quality difference, I care more about watching movies with good quality and awesome sound. DVD delivers all I want, and besides, you can find some good titles in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart (The Green Mile, bare bones but so worth it).

Robert
04-29-12, 10:01 PM
I'm glad there is still support for the format. I've watched Blu-Rays before and I am not impressed. I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray. DVD is dying slowly, and it will be around for at least a few years (I say 5-10). I really don't care about the DVD and Blu-Ray quality difference, I care more about watching movies with good quality and awesome sound. DVD delivers all I want, and besides, you can find some good titles in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart (The Green Mile, bare bones but so worth it).

-screwy- Ignorance is bliss...

kd5
04-30-12, 07:39 AM

Why is it ignorance? If DVDs provide everything we need, why is it ignorance not to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon? Or are you alluding to the fact that blu-ray has its own bargain bins? -kd5-

matome
04-30-12, 07:40 AM

Really. I'd been buying DVD's since the day they came out and amassed over 3000 of them, but once I saw the improvement on blu-ray it was time to move on and I haven't looked back. Did the same with laserdiscs. It's evolution.

Trevor
04-30-12, 07:46 AM
No Aceguy, you're not the only person who still buys DVDs. My entire collection is DVD, I don't have a blu-ray player, don't plan on getting one unless my DVD player dies at which point I may look into buying a blu-ray player and subsequently blu-ray discs. At this point in time I don't really care about blu-ray, my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing. I'll continue to buy standard DVDs until it becomes more advantageous to buy blu-ray. Probably by the time I'm ready to start buying blu-rays, the next new technology will have surfaced, everyone will have moved to it, and I'll have to bear their derision at not having moved along with it as well. Can't win for losing. -kd5-

It became more advantageous to buy BDs years ago. I've bought dozens and dozens of BDs that were cheaper than their DVD counterparts, more than making up the cost of the player ($40).

I still buy lots of DVDs too. The coexist peacefully in my reality, but it would have been a big mistake of me to not go blu, IMO.

Regulus
04-30-12, 07:56 AM
I have a good reason to keep an old format alive, there are some TV Shows and Movies that were released on VHS that simply aren't available on DVD OR Blu-Ray. Of course, I have to thank the people who sell used videos (any Format) at Garage and Yard Sales, as these can be picked up for PENNIES on the Dollar! :D Among the Gems I found while searching through the 'hoods last year I was over a dozen Movie Serials (Totaling almost 150 Chapters) on VHS for :banana: ONE DOLLAR! :banana: Then there are the four COMPLETE Star Trek Series that I snatched up for 100 Bux at another sale. :D2: This past Holiday Season I did pick up a Blu-Ray Player for about 50 Bux during a "National Day of Insanity" Sale at my Local Mall, and caved in and ordered the Original Star Trek Series on Blue-Ray, but that was my "Christmas Splurge". VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray, if it plays in my Machines, and is available for the right price, I'll "Git it while the gittin's good!" :lol:

One other thing, If I have a Movie on VHS, and it now comes out on DVD or Blu-Ray, do I run out and purchase a replacement? NO WAY! That would set me back $10.00 or more! My VHS Copy is perfectly good (Even if it's "Full Screen"), and I also adhere to the adage "If it ain't Broke, DON'T FIX IT!" :thumbsup:

Rexxriot
04-30-12, 08:48 AM
It became more advantageous to buy BDs years ago. I've bought dozens and dozens of BDs that were cheaper than their DVD counterparts, more than making up the cost of the player ($40).

I still buy lots of DVDs too. The coexist peacefully in my reality, but it would have been a big mistake of me to not go blu, IMO.

The price issue is really what sold me. It irked me to see blu-rays that were cheaper than the DVD. Some were even combo packs that came with a DVD anyway. You might as well buy a blu-ray player just so you have more options. That doesn't mean you have to start buying blu-rays, but if you see one that's cheaper than the DVD, it will save you money.

Albert71292
04-30-12, 09:25 AM
I've had a Blu-ray player for 3 years, yet I still buy quite a few DVDs. Just last week, got season 2 of "Car 54, Where Are You?" on DVD.

There's a LOT of older stuff like that which will NEVER be released on Blu-ray!

mrcellophane
04-30-12, 09:30 AM
I still buy DVDs for movies I might use in class since my university doesn't have blu-ray players.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't jump on the BD bandwagon until last year, and then I wasn't thinking about the fact that my university didn't have the appropriate technology. Had to improvise lesson plans when I couldn't show Food Inc. one day!

I try to buy films in the best format available. I just purchased some DVDs from Kino since the films were not available on BD.

Ash Ketchum
04-30-12, 10:02 AM
I actually prefer using VHS in the classroom when showing film clips because you can cue a tape up to the particular clip and not have to plow through an FBI warning, ads, the menu and several chapter stops. When I have to show a Miyazaki clip in class using a Disney DVD, it's a nightmare trying to set it up. And with some DVDs you have to set up the language and subtitles in advance because they don't let you switch once you're into the film. I think that's the case with the Disney DVDs.

Regulus
04-30-12, 10:17 AM
That doesn't mean you have to start buying blu-rays, but if you see one that's cheaper than the DVD, it will save you money.

SECONDED!

That's the reason why I purchased the original Star Trek on Blu-Ray. It was about $50.00 CHEAPER than DVD, and it had BOTH the Original SFX (For the Purists) along with the reworked SFX. (For those who'd rather have "Updated' CGI SFX. IMO It's just as good one way as it is with the other.

Now if they'd just rework the SFX on those old 1930s Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers Serials. :lol:rotfl

mike07
04-30-12, 10:42 AM
I collect all formats. I have 2 or 3 different brands of VCRs in storage and a back up DVD player just in case my main player breaks down. I'll bet anything my DVD player dies before my VCR though. I only have one Blu-ray player, and about 25 titles right now so I don't watch them very often. I've noticed a VCR will last YEARS longer than a top of the line DVD player would, so if I come across a dime tape while garage "sailing" I'll pick it up if I don't already have it. Plus, the VHS artwork is usually much better than the DVD/Blu-ray counterpart.

dvdjunkie32
04-30-12, 10:48 AM
I still buy plenty of dvds, although it's mostly stuff not offered on blu-ray like History channel shows and tv on dvd.

If the price is a lot cheaper than blu, I'll go with the dvd. I picked season 1 of Downton Abbey on dvd for $14.99 at Sam's. Would have cost me 10 dollars more to own it on blu-ray.

The upconvert features on blu-ray player really makes dvd look darn near BD quality. I just watched my SD of Titanic and I was amazed at the details I could see. I could easily see the many small wrinkles in old Rose's face and individual strains of hair in the closeups.

Pizza
04-30-12, 10:51 AM
I don't have an a HDTV or a blu ray player so I still buy DVDs exclusively. I have a fairly small collection (maybe about 100 titles). Anyone else still buy them?

Doesn't look like you really buy them either. ;)

milo bloom
04-30-12, 10:55 AM

re: DVD vs Bluray picture quality - I think we need to fix the tone of this discussion here. There is a quantifiable improvement in (most) Blurays over DVD (bad transfers not withstanding), but what folks need to understand is that the extra quality available on Bluray is not worth the effort to upgrade all of your library again. The majority of my collection is DVD, and there's a lot of titles I'm collecting that took forever to get onto DVD because of their niche status (like the original Gamera films), and have a very low chance of being released on Bluray at any point in the near future.

For new titles, I generally buy Blu. And for a catalog title just get released for the first time (or its first decent release on home video), I'll lean towards Blu.

But there's a crap-tonne of titles on DVD, especially floating around the used market that have very good transfers and lots of extras, and $5-8 (or less) for one of those is hard to pass up. Plus there's all the Criterion DVDs I've been seeing on the used market that have Blu upgrades. As long as they're 16x9 (when needed), you can bet I'll be buying DVD.

Robert
04-30-12, 11:11 AM
Why is it ignorance? If DVDs provide everything we need, why is it ignorance not to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon? Or are you alluding to the fact that blu-ray has its own bargain bins? -kd5-

His ignorance is making asinine statements like: "I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray." The rest of his post shows he's obviously never watched a movie on blu-ray in a home theater.

davidh777
04-30-12, 11:50 AM
His ignorance is making asinine statements like: "I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray." The rest of his post shows he's obviously never watched a movie on blu-ray in a home theater.

It's also ironic to say he doesn't care about DVD vs Blu because he only cares about picture and sound quality. I agree that he's probably not watching on the right equipment or in the right set-up, but no need to revisit the whole "why go Blu if I have XXX TV" debate here.

inri222
04-30-12, 12:33 PM
You are not alone Aceguy.

The majority of my collection is DVD, and there's a lot of titles I'm collecting that took forever to get onto DVD because of their niche status and have a very low chance of being released on Bluray at any point in the near future.

This is why I still buy DVD. Many cult, indie & foreign titles that I have will most likely never see the light of day on bluray.

flansered
04-30-12, 12:37 PM
Why is it ignorance? If DVDs provide everything we need, why is it ignorance not to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon?

Weren't you once complaining about blu-ray's for new movies having special features but the dvds weren't including them? So technically dvds don't have everything thing you need.

Fround it. From the "Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?" thread:
Regarding the thread title, it pisses me off that the studios are cutting off alot of the special features they used to include on DVDs in favor of adding all those extras to the blu-rays. 2-Disc SE's are getting scarce because of the push to blu-ray. We're the ones paying for DVDs out here, we're noted for shelling out the extra bucks for 2-Disc SE's, but they don't want to supply our wants or needs anymore, because of the push to blu-ray! Hell, they don't even need to make quite the number of them they used to, but make them dammit! If you make them, we will buy them! -kd5-

That'sAllFolks
04-30-12, 01:23 PM

A good balanced perspective. I had hundreds of BDs before I even got a player. I always want to be complete and have the best and that's why I keep my old DVDs that are missing Special Features on the BD. I will even buy some BD 3D even though I'm a long way from have a 3D TV (if the price is right)

BTW, people need to stop attacking others because their perspective is different than yours.

Weren't you once complaining about blu-ray's for new movies having special features but the dvds weren't including them? So technically dvds don't have everything thing you need.

Fround it. From the "Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?" thread:

Learn to understand the INTENT of what is said and not to "strain at a gnat"

flansered
04-30-12, 01:35 PM
I didn't mean it as an attack, but it's very common on this board for someone to to either post about how they don't see any reason for for them to upgrade from dvd to Blu-ray, and then turn around and talk about how they are upset about things like special features disappearing on dvds. If special features are important to you, then they are a good reason to upgrade. This will be discussed again in 2 months..

But back on topic, I do still by dvds, even though I have a blu-ray player. It's just a reality that certain things will not be released on blu-ray for reason or another, and it would be narrow minded of me to not buy or watch things just because they aren't released on blu. For example, I recently bought the complete series of the Wire, and I had no problem getting it on dvd, especially since the creators have said will only be released on dvd since it won't look any better than it currently does on dvd.

Shannon Nutt
04-30-12, 02:04 PM
I still buy many TV shows on DVD, but it's usually because Blu-rays aren't available - or, in the case of shows like THE SOPRANOS, SMALLVILLE and 24, because only PART of the series has been released on Blu-ray (in which case I'll buy the DVD Complete Series as opposed to going half DVD/half Blu-ray).

Almost all movies I buy on Blu-ray now.

Aceguy
04-30-12, 02:30 PM
Doesn't look like you really buy them either. ;)
:lol: I started collecting in '05 but I wasn't serious until about late 2010. I barely have chances to expand the collection. Plus, I own a lot of TV shows and a few miniseries and such.

Aceguy
04-30-12, 02:33 PM
His ignorance is making asinine statements like: "I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray." The rest of his post shows he's obviously never watched a movie on blu-ray in a home theater. I have in fact not watched Blu-Ray on a good setup. I have watched it though. Now, I'm not saying that Blu-Rays suck because they look and sound just great. I'm just making a point about how good the upscaling can be, and really how ridiculous studios are. When I do own a player, you bet I will start buying them, but they will coexist in my collection. I don't know if I would want to replace my entire collection though.

Ash Ketchum
04-30-12, 02:55 PM
:lol: I started collecting in '05 but I wasn't serious until about late 2010. I barely have chances to expand the collection. Plus, I own a lot of TV shows and a few miniseries and such.

I'm betting most of us with large collections here own at least 100 DVDs that we'll never even watch!!! :D

thetao
04-30-12, 03:08 PM
My TV is a 27" CRT, and although I bought a cheap Blu-Ray player before Christmas, I currently own just 3 BR disks. With the DVD market imploding, it's become necessary to prioritize on titles that may not be available soon and may not go to BR, as opposed to BR titles that aren't going anywhere. Then there's the issue of BR disks that have substantially fewer extras than their DVD counterparts. Unlike many of you, I started my collection around 2006, but even then was primarily buying TV shows and animation. I recently bought copies of The Maltese Falcon 3xDVD and The Terminator 2xDVD for the additional extras, and just noticed the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 2xDVD also fits this category.

DVD's still have lots of life in them!

kd5
04-30-12, 03:18 PM

I think they have rules here about calling someone (or their comments) ignorant and asinine. Respect?

So what? What does that have to do anything? I said in this thread that I still buy DVDs, that I'm happy with what I have, and that if my DVD player ever dies, I may look into buying a blu-ray player. Why did you feel the need to drag something I said in another thread about being unhappy with the lack of 2-Disc SE DVDs into this thread. Doesn't make any sense.

--------------------------------

You'll never hear me say that DVDs look as good if not better than blu-rays, because I've never watched a movie or TV show on blu-ray. I have no doubt that blu-rays look better than standard DVDs, just like DVDs look better than VHS. I've made my jump from VHS to DVD, I may make another jump to blu-ray. Who knows what the future holds? I sure don't.

-kd5-

davidh777
04-30-12, 03:53 PM
So what? What does that have to do anything? I said in this thread that I still buy DVDs, that I'm happy with what I have, and that if my DVD player ever dies, I may look into buying a blu-ray player. Why did you feel the need to drag something I said in another thread about being unhappy with the lack of 2-Disc SE DVDs into this thread. Doesn't make any sense.

His point was that you were saying "If DVDs provide everything we need...", but you have previously expressed your dissatisfaction with new-release DVDs' lack of special features. Therefore it appears that DVD is not providing everything you need.

And Aceguy, there's no need to replace your collection when you start buying BDs.

NoirFan
04-30-12, 06:09 PM
I buy the occasional Second Run release, but that's it. That's more of an attempt to support the label than anything else though. Checking Amazon, the last DVDs I bought were Lolita and Barry Lyndon in December of 2009. At the time, neither was available on Blu-ray. If MoC releases a DVD-only title that I'm interested in, then I'll buy that, but there have only been a couple of discs fitting that bill in the last year or so.

drmar35mm
04-30-12, 07:05 PM
I made the move into Blu Ray late last year, along with purchasing a relatively inexpensive 32" LCD. And while neither were absolutely necessary--my 25" CRT and several DVD players and VHS machines still work fine--I'm glad I made the upgrade. Given a first-class source (Blu Ray or a high quality DVD), the picture quality is superb. The Panasonic Blu Ray (the cheapest in their line) upscales gorgeously, given the right source. But I've learned that not all DVDs upscale well. (Some that you think should don't; others that you think won't do. I was surprised that Lord of the Rings and S5 of Doctor Who lack sharpness; while some 60s and 70s TV seasons look surprisingly good.)

As for what kinds of disks I buy-- Anything that's a good deal that I want, DVD or Blu Ray. Now of course is a terrific time to buy DVDs, with so many so cheap. I simply won't buy any used DVDs for any more than $3 per; or TV seasons for more than $7-8. I'll still buy some new disks when they're on sale.

This is simply a fantastic to be a movie/TV fan and--like a squirrel stocks nuts before the winter comes--I am happily buying DVDs whenever the chance comes.

kd5
04-30-12, 09:16 PM
His point was that you were saying "If DVDs provide everything we need...", but you have previously expressed your dissatisfaction with new-release DVDs' lack of special features. Therefore it appears that DVD is not providing everything you need.

My point is that I can be happy with my DVD collection, yet still be dissatisfied with the studio's decision to discontinue 2-Disc SE DVDs. That's all I'm trying to say right here, right now, and that only because someone deemed it necessary to drag an unrelated comment from another thread out into this thread for no good reason. There's really nothing more about this that needs to be said. -kd5-

JohnnyMovie
04-30-12, 10:47 PM
I still continues to buying DVDs in my collection forever and some I don't care about lack of special feature recent DVDs in the future. I like the DVD more than the Bluray in my collection (don't judge me!). Hope DVD not be dead in the future.

flansered
05-01-12, 09:40 AM
My point is that I can be happy with my DVD collection, yet still be dissatisfied with the studio's decision to discontinue 2-Disc SE DVDs. That's all I'm trying to say right here, right now, and that only because someone deemed it necessary to drag an unrelated comment from another thread out into this thread for no good reason. There's really nothing more about this that needs to be said. -kd5-

It's hypocritical to say that you are unhappy with how dvds are being released in one thread then jump to another thread and say you are satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released (meaning barebones). Personally as long is everyone is happy with what they are getting, whether it's blu-ray, dvd, vhs, or selectravision videodiscs, that is all that really matters.

cpgator
05-01-12, 03:10 PM
because I've never watched a movie or TV show on blu-ray.

wtf? You seriously have never watched a movie on BD? They have been around for over 6 yrs! You don't even have any friends who have BD?

kd5
05-01-12, 04:19 PM
It's hypocritical to say that you are unhappy with how dvds are being released in one thread then jump to another thread and say you are satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released (meaning barebones). Personally as long is everyone is happy with what they are getting, whether it's blu-ray, dvd, vhs, or selectravision videodiscs, that is all that really matters.

You know, I'm getting sick and and tired of this bullshit. Show me where I said IN THIS THREAD that I was "satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released". I said "my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing", which doesn't mean the same thing. I also said that I can be happy with my DVD collection yet still be pissed about the studios decision to discontinue SE's. If you can't be satisfied with that distinction then I don't know what to tell you. But to CONTINUALLY badger and bait me because your interpretation of what I said in another thread doesn't match up precisely with your interpretation of something I said in this thread is not only childish and petty, but it just serves to illustrate the level of immaturity of some of the members of this forum, regardless of their degree of education. It almost seems like you're really trying to get a rise out of me so I'll say something that will get me banned from this forum. It's royally pissing me off and I'm really glad I'll never meet some of you in the real world.

I started out just trying to make a simple reply in this thread based on the OP's question, "Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?" I honestly can't believe some of the petty nit-picking disharmonious bullshit that arose from that. -kd5-

EdTheRipper
05-01-12, 04:39 PM
wtf? You seriously have never watched a movie on BD? They have been around for over 6 yrs! You don't even have any friends who have BD?

Prior to February of this year, I'd never seen anything on BD. On this forum that might be considered unusual, but to the average joe, it's not all that uncommon.

cpgator
05-01-12, 04:59 PM
Prior to February of this year, I'd never seen anything on BD. On this forum that might be considered unusual, but to the average joe, it's not all that uncommon.

It just seems strange, that after 6 yrs someone doesn't even have 1 friend that owns a BD player. Heck, he can come over to my house some time and we will watch his first movie in HD together... :grouphug:

BobO'Link
05-01-12, 05:12 PM
I, too, am a member of the "never watched a movie on BD" club. To the best of my knowlege I have *zero* friends who own a BD player. If they do the topic never comes up as we don't tend to watch films together, although we discuss them - *not* in a technical way (i.e. DVD vs BR quality) but plot, characters, etc. I only know 2 people who own a player. One of those is a co-worker and the other is my son. Neither live close enough to me to warrant a special trip just to take a look-see. I've also never bothered to look at one in stores. If they've had one playing I couldn't tell you for a couple of reasons: I totally ignore in-store TV displays of all types (they're annoying) and I'm not in the market to purchase one.

JerryKILL
05-02-12, 08:38 AM
I still buy VHS. It's all about content, not format.

davidh777
05-02-12, 12:33 PM
You know, I'm getting sick and and tired of this bullshit. Show me where I said IN THIS THREAD that I was "satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released". I said "my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing", which doesn't mean the same thing. I also said that I can be happy with my DVD collection yet still be pissed about the studios decision to discontinue SE's. If you can't be satisfied with that distinction then I don't know what to tell you. But to CONTINUALLY badger and bait me because your interpretation of what I said in another thread doesn't match up precisely with your interpretation of something I said in this thread is not only childish and petty, but it just serves to illustrate the level of immaturity of some of the members of this forum, regardless of their degree of education. It almost seems like you're really trying to get a rise out of me so I'll say something that will get me banned from this forum. It's royally pissing me off and I'm really glad I'll never meet some of you in the real world.

I started out just trying to make a simple reply in this thread based on the OP's question, "Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?" I honestly can't believe some of the petty nit-picking disharmonious bullshit that arose from that. -kd5-

No one is trying to bait you or play "gotcha" games, friend. I think we just have a disagreement: You think the topics are unrelated and we don't. I agree that there's nothing to be gained by discussing it further.

movie diva
05-02-12, 01:52 PM
I buy both, I prefer the Blu rays with a DVD, because my mom still has a DVD player and she can watch the DVD and I can watch the Blu.

Drake
05-02-12, 02:55 PM
I just counted and I have bought 46 DVDs this year and a TV series on DVD, which I find surprising since it seems most of my purchases lately are Blu ray.

But lets face it, quality issues aside, there are tons of very good to great movies on DVD that most likely will never see the light day on blu or any format again.
Either you love watching and collecting films or you love the technology, at this juncture I feel my DVD collection has more of my favorite movies than my Blu collection , but that is changing with the upcoming Blu releases of Jaws and The Sting.....of course I still have a pretty cool Film Noir collection that I bet I will never see on Blu Ray.

starseed1981
05-02-12, 03:04 PM
I buy both. Alot of what I purchase is TV on DVD. So if I've started that series on regular DVD I continue to purchase it on that format. Same thing goes for my wrestling / MMA dvds.

Now when it comes to movies I have essentially moved over to blu-ray.

Gobear
05-02-12, 03:18 PM
I don't see the point of a pissing match; Blu-Rays have greater clarity and detail than DVDs. There's no arguing that point. However, the point of owning movies is to own movies, not the disc. If I can get a movie on Blu, I will, but just as many movies never made the transition from VHS, many films will be unavailable on Blu, especially pre-1950 catalog titles.

My rule has always been, buy what makes me happy. Period.

Indy24LA
05-02-12, 03:58 PM
I am usually price driven, but for movies like Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, picture quality is important so I'll wait till I can get the Blu for under 10 no matter how cheap the DVD is. Now if we're talking something like About Schmidt, it not so important.

DJariya
05-02-12, 05:08 PM
I only upgraded to Blu-Ray 2 years ago. But yes, I still purchase DVDs. There are alot of TV shows that I watch and collect the seasons that don't get Blu-Ray releases....Ex. The Good Wife (and most CBS TV shows), Warehouse 13, Friday Night Lights etc. And alot of times TV on BD is alot more expensive than their DVD counterparts.

Some of the TV shows that I own are actually split between DVD and Blu because the earlier seasons weren't released in the format like 24. I have seasons 1-6 on DVD and 7-8 on BD. If 1-6 get a BD release, I don't think I will upgrade because it will be too expensive and the bonus material will probably just be ported over.

As far as movies go, I've pretty much gone all Blu-Ray. There is an occasional older flick here and there that may not have a BD release that I will pick up.

Living Deadpan
05-02-12, 08:02 PM
I'm still a DVD Talker, and DVD owner. My living situation doesn't exactly allow me to be a technophile. I don't have the space or luxury for a huge widescreen television, and as others have said here, I can live with content over format.

There's also a vast public out there who don't post to video forums, and many of that public still buys DVDs. If they didn't, then the B&M stores wouldn't offer every film in both formats. If people didn't buy DVDs anymore, why would Criterion or Kino or [insert the majority of labels] even bother giving the public the option to buy, say, Godzilla on DVD? Yes, we have labels like Sony & Synapse who are forcing us into combo packs or BD-exclusive features, and some boutique labels like Twilight Time are going BD-only. You also have boutique labels like Scorpion & Code Red who haven't upgraded to BD, and films like The Survivor & Satan's Slave are still being purchased and reviewed on SD.

Let me figure out the point of my blathering... I guess it comes down to: Everything's relative, and don't assume that internet forums represent the general populace. In fact, no one should assume anything.

Now, if anyone would like to enroll in my online course Format Philosophy 101.....

[And if anyone is somehow angered or offended by my post, that's your problem. I've made no cheap shots. If you disagree with any of my points, try to do it without being an asshole.]

mickey65
05-02-12, 10:49 PM
Don't own a Blue Ray and don't expect to anytime soon, so yes, I still buy DVDs - I have about 1500 or so of them.

Fok
05-04-12, 11:33 AM
Most of my collection is still consists of DVDs. However, I am surprised that some folks haven't made the jump to Blu-Ray yet. The improvement in quality is reason enough to upgrade if you can afford it. As a movie lover, why wouldn't you? I get pissed when people say " I am not going to upgrade because then I'd have to replace all my DVDs". That is so not the case, having blu-ray is just another option along with your existing DVDs.

Ash Ketchum
05-04-12, 12:17 PM
"Am I the only person who still buys VHS?"

I was in Book Off last night and they recently set up a new VHS section in the basement level, with dozens of anime and classic Japanese film titles on VHS. All without subtitles, though. Still, I bought a Yakuza movie with Junko Fuji and Ken Takakura (DUEL OF SWIRLING FLOWERS); an anime movie only previously available as an English dub (GREAT CONQUEST: ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS); and a Russian animation from 1956 (THE TWELVE MONTHS), but dubbed in Japanese. (Hey, I know a helluva lot more Japanese words than Russian words.)

nodeerforamonth
05-04-12, 12:20 PM
No.

visitor Q
05-04-12, 05:03 PM
Most of my collection is still consists of DVDs. However, I am surprised that some folks haven't made the jump to Blu-Ray yet. The improvement in quality is reason enough to upgrade if you can afford it. As a movie lover, why wouldn't you? I get pissed when people say " I am not going to upgrade because then I'd have to replace all my DVDs". That is so not the case, having blu-ray is just another option along with your existing DVDs.

That sums up some of my feelings although I could care less how other people feel about the DVD/Blu-ray debate simply because they are not paying for all my upgrades or the equipment necessary to get the most enjoyment out of the marked up version.

I've been collecting since Sept of '99 and was never an early adopter of Blu-ray. By the time I got around to upgrading I thought of it as a compliment to my DVD collection (which is substantially larger). I've upgraded some favorites and buy the occasional new release on Blu-ray but I just don't buy as much any more, nor do I feel as if it's necessary to upgrade everything because I've found that over time I've only returned to a majority of what I own one or two times, not to mention the expense. With Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster (yes there is actually one in my town), the library, films are just easily, and cheaply, accessible now so I don't feel the need to revisit my heyday of DVD collecting when I was sucking up 2-3 releases per week. But if I'm going to buy and there's a choice of Blu-ray then I will always go with the BD unless I hear an incredibly bad review.

Although to answer the OP 's question, I most certainly still buy DVD but that's mostly because I enjoy older genre films. Recently, I watched Corman's World (on BD) and felt compelled to pick up a few of his films which are only available on DVD (The Intruder, Roger Corman Collection, Hollywood Boulevard). Maybe Shout! Factory will release some of these but why wait? I want to see a film when I have the interest in doing so and I don't want to wrestle with justifying any purchases when the likelihood of these films may never be on Blu-ray. And if any get announced it's more than likely that I will get my money back as genre films tend to maintain their value over time; so I'll sell and upgrade if it's an important enough film to own.

Astrofan
05-04-12, 06:31 PM
One other thing, If I have a Movie on VHS, and it now comes out on DVD or Blu-Ray, do I run out and purchase a replacement? NO WAY! That would set me back $10.00 or more! My VHS Copy is perfectly good (Even if it's "Full Screen"), and I also adhere to the adage "If it ain't Broke, DON'T FIX IT!" :thumbsup:
In my world a movie not in the OAR is broken.

Astrofan
05-04-12, 06:43 PM
Of course I guess in a few years the question might be, "Who buys discs anymore?" I wouldn't mind seeing a Rhapsody Music model in which you pay a monthly fee with access to tens of thousands of movies. As long as I could watch them in hi-def with 5.1 sound I'd be happy. Unfortunately the studios will do everything they can to prevent this music model from transferring to movies.

Spottedfeather
05-04-12, 07:08 PM
Streaming sort of makes sense, but only in the short term. What if you want to watch a certain movie in 10 years. You don't have a disc, so you can't watch it that way. So, you go to netflix because you know you saw the movie there. But wait....the movie isn't there any more.

My point is, the movies and tv shows that netflix has right now won't necessarily be there even a year from now. Streaming will NEVER replace actual discs.

brayzie
05-05-12, 03:47 AM
I still buy DVDs and don't have a blu-ray player.

I just like having all one format and for me, blu-ray's aren't THAT different. Plus, I like the collecting aspect of dvds and a lot of rare stuff isn't out on br.

walletboyniac
05-05-12, 06:43 AM
Streaming sort of makes sense, but only in the short term. What if you want to watch a certain movie in 10 years. You don't have a disc, so you can't watch it that way. So, you go to netflix because you know you saw the movie there. But wait....the movie isn't there any more.

My point is, the movies and tv shows that netflix has right now won't necessarily be there even a year from now. Streaming will NEVER replace actual discs.

My biggest gripes with streaming are quality (I only have a DSL connection), and NO EXTRAS. I'll surely continue to buy or rent physical DVDs. Of course they've taken extras off of a lot of rentals, so buying will always be in the equation.

Pizza
05-05-12, 06:52 AM

Just so you know, kd5, you're point was well made and I understood it. You're satisfied with the DVD format and how well it displays movies but not satisfied with how the format is being handled by the studios, such as leaving off added bonus material. Seems to be a growing trend to give people a hard time with a simple post and I can relate to your comments on it. I'm sure some people just like to give a hard time around here but sometimes it's just a misunderstanding of the tone of the post, such as you're making a joke that is perceived as a serious comment. Still, I feel many times it's people that are so devoted to a movie, actor or viewpoint that any comment that doesn't 100% agree to their way of thinking comes across as negative/hostile to them and they strongly react in a bad way. It happens to most of us and sometimes we're the guilty one without realizing it.

Pizza
05-05-12, 06:57 AM

I agree with you on this. There are a number of movies I simply just want to see, streaming is/can be a great source for this. But for the films that I love, which are way too many, I want that disc for the security of being able to watch that film whenever I want.

Wernski
05-05-12, 08:33 AM
I've just put a laserdisc on my short "to buy" list. Definitely still buying DVDs.

WOODPRODUCTIONS
05-05-12, 10:02 AM
I still buy DVDs and also buy Blu Rays since I have players that can play both. Based on the mass number of DVDs, there will always be DVD players to enjoy them, much like cassette players and turntables still exist today. There is no question that there is a quality difference between the two, but I have no problem with DVD's since I put more emphasis on content over picture quality a lot of the times. I still enjoy buying DVDs usually at great prices which is a great bargain compared to going to a theatre. Its rare that I will buy a title that comes out in Blu Ray, which I already have on DVD, but I still do. It would have to be a title that I really love.

DVDude!
05-05-12, 03:50 PM
First DVD purchased: Aug 1999
First Blu-ray purchased: Aug 2009

Since Aug 2009, I've purchased 334 Blu-rays and 96 DVDs. Of the DVDs, only one is available on Blu-ray: Archer Season 1, originally a Best Buy exclusive. There are some others which are available on Region B Blu-ray and I'm thinking about a region free BD player soon.

A lot of my 334 Blu-rays have been upgrades. We currently have a 46" LCD and will soon upgrade to a 64" Plasma set (much to her chagrin!). As far as I'm concerned, anyone who says, "I cannot see the difference" is either viewing on a small HD set or CRT. Anything larger than 32" and the bump in visuals is significant.

And sound? There's no comparison sometimes. The options on BD make DVD sound like TV speakers. We don't have an awesome set up, but do have 5.1 surround, mounted speakers, etc. If you're listening through your TV's speakers, you're missing out.

Jack Straw
05-05-12, 09:51 PM
As my discretionary funds are finite, I will in most cases choose DVD over BD which is usually $5-$10 more, unless there is a compelling reason to splurge (e.g. great cinematography or not a big price difference).

meshershark
05-07-12, 12:15 PM
Don't own a Blue Ray and don't expect to anytime soon, so yes, I still buy DVDs - I have about 1500 or so of them.

Same here, both sentiment and number.

I just can't get enthused about Blu-Ray, even though I don't doubt the significant video enhancement. Standard DVD is good enough for me, and not buying Blu has the bonus of putting less money in the coffers of Sony (for whom I harbor a grudge for their past heinous actions like rootkitting). For now I am content to continue buying DVDs until we make the inevitable jump to electronic format. The only hazard with that is the possibility that companies will stop making DVDs before the full switch has occurred, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

DJariya
05-07-12, 12:23 PM
Same here, both sentiment and number.

I just can't get enthused about Blu-Ray, even though I don't doubt the significant video enhancement. Standard DVD is good enough for me, and not buying Blu has the bonus of putting less money in the coffers of Sony (for whom I harbor a grudge for their past heinous actions like rootkitting). For now I am content to continue buying DVDs until we make the inevitable jump to electronic format. The only hazard with that is the possibility that companies will stop making DVDs before the full switch has occurred, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

Just curious, are you still using a standard def TV?

I stayed primarily with DVDs until I got my 1st HDTV 3 years ago.

Blu-Ray players are so cheap now and they also play DVDs and upcovert the video. Your selling yourself a little short if you have an HDTV.

Quack
05-07-12, 05:50 PM
A lot of shows I get on DVD will never see the light of day on Bluray, I also had a nice little collection of WWF(E) DVD's as well.

flansered
05-08-12, 08:42 AM

This is something I would like to see most of the anti-blu-ray people answer. Type and size.

milo bloom
05-08-12, 10:28 AM
This is something I would like to see most of the anti-blu-ray people answer. Type and size.

I'm not anti-Bluray by any stretch, but I'm against those who say "Bluray or die" in response to any push back against the format.

I have a 46" LCD as our main tv screen. And what folks don't seem to understand is that many DVDs still look "good enough". Stuff like Star Trek: The Next Generation? They looked like shit, even compared to other DVDs much less Bluray, that's an easy upgrade.

But there's plenty of other movies that had good encodes, from good masters, and have good sound mixes. Maybe these people that say they don't see a difference really mean they don't see enough of a difference to dump their old collection.

critterdvd
05-08-12, 11:23 AM
I'm not anti-Bluray by any stretch, but I'm against those who say "Bluray or die" in response to any push back against the format.

I have a 46" LCD as our main tv screen. And what folks don't seem to understand is that many DVDs still look "good enough". Stuff like Star Trek: The Next Generation? They looked like shit, even compared to other DVDs much less Bluray, that's an easy upgrade.

But there's plenty of other movies that had good encodes, from good masters, and have good sound mixes. Maybe these people that say they don't see a difference really mean they don't see enough of a difference to dump their old collection.

I have to agree. My primary TV is 37" and while I adopted to blu-ray a couple of years ago I still buy a lot of DVDs. If there is a significant price difference between the two formats I almost always go with the DVD (unless it's something like "The Avengers").

And also I bet 80% of what I would want to buy in the TV Genre will NEVER be available on Blu.

meshershark
05-09-12, 08:32 AM

I stayed primarily with DVDs until I got my 1st HDTV 3 years ago.

Blu-Ray players are so cheap now and they also play DVDs and upcovert the video. Your selling yourself a little short if you have an HDTV.

I'm using a Toshiba Cinema Series 65 inch rear-projection CRT TV (5-10 years old), which is "HD-ready" but not 1080p. I plan to move to something modern when that finally gives up the ghost, but even then I plan to steer clear of Blu-Ray as long as I possibly can. I'm loathe to replace my large collection, especially since that would benefit Sony. I'll admit to being inconsistent in the sense I don't balk at buying standard DVDs of Sony studio productions, but I consider that a case of not punishing myself just to spite them. Granted, my boycott of Blu-Ray could be considered by some to be doing that exact thing, but I don't see it that way because I immensely enjoy my standard collection on my current setup and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much (which is partly due to the ignorance of never having seen a full show at a more stellar resolution).

Ash Ketchum
05-09-12, 10:44 AM
I'm using a Toshiba Cinema Series 65 inch rear-projection CRT TV (5-10 years old), which is "HD-ready" but not 1080p. I plan to move to something modern when that finally gives up the ghost, but even then I plan to steer clear of Blu-Ray as long as I possibly can. I'm loathe to replace my large collection, especially since that would benefit Sony. I'll admit to being inconsistent in the sense I don't balk at buying standard DVDs of Sony studio productions, but I consider that a case of not punishing myself just to spite them. Granted, my boycott of Blu-Ray could be considered by some to be doing that exact thing, but I don't see it that way because I immensely enjoy my standard collection on my current setup and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much (which is partly due to the ignorance of never having seen a full show at a more stellar resolution).

I know what you mean. I was completely resistant until I asked my nephew to give me a demonstration on his set-up. He showed me HOW THE WEST WAS WON on Blu-ray on a 60-inch set and I was floored by it. I took some shots from my digital camera just to have a record of what it looked like and then went home and compared it to my DVD of the same film on a 32-inch screen. Comparison pix below. At Christmas that year, my nephews gave me a Blu-ray player. Since then, however, I've only bought about 20 selected titles on Blu-ray plus some Japanese pop music concerts, which offer extra numbers on the Blu-rays. But I hardly use it. I just have too much stuff on VHS and regular DVD to catch up with before I start up a whole new collection. Not everything has to look as good as HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I watch a lot of cheap kung fu movies which I'm more than happy with in lesser formats. Although a genuinely good, well-photographed kung fu film on Blu-ray can be pretty awesome, like THE HEROIC ONES and BROTHERS FIVE. But a low-budget kickfest like SHAOLIN DEADLY KICKS is just fine on a Mill Creek DVD.

Here's how HTWWW looked on Blu-ray on my nephew's set-up:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4108/5218732943_1ae32273f9.jpg

Here's how my DVD looked on my set-up:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5247/5218744147_016495cf6d.jpg

Blu-ray:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4104/5219325614_9779ff9ec4.jpg

DVD:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4130/5218750655_01fe04851d.jpg

Notice that the DVD doesn't even contain all of the image.

mike07
05-09-12, 01:31 PM
^ That's a big difference but most of that is the difference in size. Obviously you aren't going see that big of a difference on a 32" TV even with a Blu-ray player.

I'm a lot like you, in the lines of having a huge backlog of titles on VHS & DVD to make a switch to a new format - I own around 30 titles now but have only opened/watched maybe 5 of them. I have a small screen as well, 32", and until I move into a bigger place I don't see myself getting a bigger screen.

To answer the OP's question, of course your not the only one who still buys DVDs. Unless the price is right (<$5 unless it's a title I absolutely love and want to upgrade to BD) I'll stick with the DVD counterpart. If this was a perfect world, where I had the space to put a 60" (or larger) TV set and cost wasn't an issue, I'd give up on DVD in a heartbeat -- But right now that is not so.

Julie Walker
05-10-12, 12:56 AM
Notice that the DVD doesn't even contain all of the image.

That's a nice comparison, but it looks like the dvd is from the earlier dvd release which didn't feature the entire image since Cinerama is tough to transfer for home video. However, the restored version was released on both dvd and blu-ray, so the full image does exist on a dvd release as well. But had I seen the dvd of How The West Was Won that you have, and then saw the blu-ray. I would be blown away by the additional image details and print quality.

:)

WOODPRODUCTIONS
05-10-12, 09:53 AM
Since I still do buy DVD's as well as Blu Ray's, I want to make another comment regarding the quality difference between the two. There is definitely a quality difference, however, when I first bought my first few DVD's years ago, there wasn't one complaint from me, I was one happy camper and enjoyed watching them. Why should it be any different now? I still enjoy watching these same DVD's, granted there is an upgrade in quality, just like I did many years ago. When I buy Blu Rays's now, its usually a new release of a title that was neither released either in Blu Ray or DVD format or simply a title that I've never owned before. As I stated on my last post, I do still upgrade some of my old DVD's to Blu Ray, usually when its a title that ranks on the upper echelon of all time favorites. When comparing the two, you can argue that one is flawed compared to the other, using an analogy, just because a movie is in black and white and not in color, it does not make it a bad movie. In many cases it gives it a certain character, that makes it unique and special.

I know that many people on the board have a huge collection of DVD's that they've collected over the years and spent a small fortune. I really dont think that you have to replace every single title that is now available in Blu Ray, but if you wish to do so, why not, its a personal choice. The bottom line, as long as you enjoy your collection no matter what format, why should anything else matter.

mythmaker18
05-10-12, 10:58 AM
I bought my first BR player late 2010 when I bought my first LCD television (a 60"), but to this date, I still buy plenty of DVDs. As people have said, there is simply a lot of product out there that has no BR release and, for shot-on-video television shows like classic Doctor Who, etc., there's absolutely zero likelihood of BR release, as there'd be no picture quality improvement. I won't box myself into a "blu-ray or nothing" corner if a title is only available on DVD.

That said, if I have a choice of format, I almost always go with BR, but I usually play the "waiting game" for prices to drop, "lightning deals" (I bought all four seasons of Mad Men with Amazon's Christmas deals for less than $10 "bux" each).

I like those combo packs, too, especially if they're at or near the same price. That way, we have an extra DVD to send out as a "loaner" or for the wife to take to to small bedroom TV, etc.

So, original poster, DVD is far from dead, even to many of us who have upgraded to BR.

milo bloom
05-11-12, 09:50 AM
As people have said, there is simply a lot of product out there that has no BR release and, for shot-on-video television shows like classic Doctor Who, etc., there's absolutely zero likelihood of BR release, as there'd be no picture quality improvement.

I for one, wouldn't mind seeing shows like this done on Bluray with a whole season on one disc. Even if it's still standard def, the compression will be better for the picture and the audio could be better also. Not sure if the cost of authoring and pressing a single Bluray disc would be better than the cost of multiple DVDs and the special packaging, but the cost would come down over time.

mdnitoil
05-11-12, 06:22 PM
I for one, wouldn't mind seeing shows like this done on Bluray with a whole season on one disc. Even if it's still standard def, the compression will be better for the picture and the audio could be better also. Not sure if the cost of authoring and pressing a single Bluray disc would be better than the cost of multiple DVDs and the special packaging, but the cost would come down over time.

It'll be a long time before you see something like this and then it will be from the Mill Creeks of the world. When people buy Blu, they expect a certain minimum quality. Selling it solely on it's space-saving ability will be a fail for most folks.

Jack Straw
05-13-12, 08:10 PM
I have a BD player, but still buy plenty of DVDs even when the BD is available. I do so primarily based on cost. When I can get the DVD for between $4-$7 less, I will, unless it's a title or favorite actor or director that I like a lot or collect (e.g Chris Nolan, Tarantino). I do double-dip and pick-up older tiles on BD that have been out a while and price reduced. Also, many times BD editions simply aren't noticeably better looking transfers and were just issued by the studio to cash in on the perception of better technology in use when the DVD looks just as good in comparison.

mythmaker18
05-14-12, 04:31 PM
It'll be a long time before you see something like this and then it will be from the Mill Creeks of the world. When people buy Blu, they expect a certain minimum quality. Selling it solely on it's space-saving ability will be a fail for most folks.

Also, I saw someone else post (in another forum, I think) that there's something in the Blu-Ray spec/licencing that requires that the main feature of any blu-ray release must be high-definition for it to be legally released as a Blu-ray, partly to avoid customer confusion/complaints about the format.

Anyone know if this is true, or someone out there was just making it up?

LugNutX
05-15-12, 09:29 PM
I've got an 82" HDTV (so it's hard to hide the flaws) and own a Blu-ray player and still buy DVDs on a regular basis.

That said, I'm a bargain shopper and don't make any movie purchases unless I can find them for cheap. I have too much of a backlog and too much access to cheap rentals to spend big bucks on very many films.

I have yet to see a Blu-ray that didn't show a dramatic increase in picture quality (though I know they exist) and most are a noticeable step-up in audio quality as well. We can debate the merits all day, but a lot of older movies with mono and stereo soundtracks see little audio improvement on Blu. Obviously, anything released in the last few years gets its first view on this format.

What keeps me buying DVDs are the prices. Because I buy used, I can regularly find movies I'm interested in for a little more than a Redbox rental. On top of that, all of those super-, mega-, ultimate- boxed sets that cost an arm and a leg a few years ago now sell for less than a new release. It is extremely rare for me to pay over $5 for a standard (1- or 2-disc) release, or about $15-20 on a limited edition. I love MOVIES and getting the "ultimate" editions with all the features, books, toys, memorabilia, cool cases, etc. are part of the fun for me.

While I was initially excited for the new DVD releases each week, now I get excited about tracking down a special edition I didn't know existed and finding the best deal on it. It's become a much cheaper way for me to collect the movies I enjoy in their "most fun" SKU.

I have a great upconverting Blu-ray player that produces an excellent picture with standard def DVD, and a lot of the time (especially if it's a movie I'm familiar with) it's more than good enough for me. It's no Blu-ray, but a few minutes after I'm sucked into the film, I don't really notice until the credits roll. There are a few occasions where a bad encode makes things noticeable to the point I'm distracted, but it's rare. In fact, it usually looks quite a bit better than most OTA HDTV content I receive.

mike45
05-15-12, 09:37 PM
I still buy DVD's. Movies I know will probably never be on Blu-ray. I just picked up "Fate Is The Hunter"(1964). Not a perfect film. A guilty pleasure.

davidh777
05-15-12, 11:46 PM
Also, I saw someone else post (in another forum, I think) that there's something in the Blu-Ray spec/licencing that requires that the main feature of any blu-ray release must be high-definition for it to be legally released as a Blu-ray, partly to avoid customer confusion/complaints about the format.

Anyone know if this is true, or someone out there was just making it up?

I haven't heard it, but I wouldn't be surprised as a brand-enforcing thing

JOE29
05-16-12, 06:43 AM
I still buy plenty of dvds, although it's mostly stuff not offered on blu-ray like History channel shows and tv on dvd.

If the price is a lot cheaper than blu, I'll go with the dvd. I picked season 1 of Downton Abbey on dvd for $14.99 at Sam's. Would have cost me 10 dollars more to own it on blu-ray.

I agree. I buy both formats. I don't think that there is anything wrong with buying standard DVD's When I first noticed those double bluray / Standard DVD sets I was against them completely but now i'm the first one to pick up these sets. I buy a lot of tv shows / history channel DVD's also. But when it comes to recent first run movie releases I have to go blu.

DJariya
05-16-12, 07:00 AM
I actually had to re-purchase a DVD of a movie that I initially upgraded because the BD special features sucked. It was House of Flying Daggers. Totally did not pay attention to the BD extras when I bought it for $7 or 8 at a Best Buy sale. Then I sold the DVD, but after double checking, I realized I lost an audio commentary and a 40+ minute behind the scenes documentary from the DVD, so I went ahead and bought a used copy of the DVD. Now I have both.

For those who upgrade their DVDs, always make sure your not getting screwed on downgraded extras. I know alot of the FOX/MGM titles on BD actually have less extras then their DVD counterparts.

milo bloom
05-16-12, 10:24 AM
I actually had to re-purchase a DVD of a movie that I initially upgraded because the BD special features sucked. It was House of Flying Daggers. Totally did not pay attention to the BD extras when I bought it for $7 or 8 at a Best Buy sale. Then I sold the DVD, but after double checking, I realized I lost an audio commentary and a 40+ minute behind the scenes documentary from the DVD, so I went ahead and bought a used copy of the DVD. Now I have both.

For those who upgrade their DVDs, always make sure your not getting screwed on downgraded extras. I know alot of the FOX/MGM titles on BD actually have less extras then their DVD counterparts.

There's a thread for that, actually: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/600583-definitive-list-blu-rays-without-all-sd-extras-ii.html

DJariya
05-16-12, 11:15 AM
There's a thread for that, actually: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/600583-definitive-list-blu-rays-without-all-sd-extras-ii.html

Thanks. But the point I was trying to make in regards to this thread is that I still buy DVDs because sometimes the BD counterpart is inferior in the extras department.

speedy1961
05-16-12, 11:59 AM
NO. I still do (although not as many while I'm in school).

Hope to upgrade to Blu-Ray later this year.

milo bloom
05-16-12, 02:00 PM
Thanks. But the point I was trying to make in regards to this thread is that I still buy DVDs because sometimes the BD counterpart is inferior in the extras department.

And the point of that thread is to give you the info needed to make that decision...

meshershark
05-17-12, 07:13 AM
I'll throw in that another consideration in sticking to standard DVD is that I don't want to risk lowering the subjective value of my large (but not epic) collection by introducing a few better-quality titles. Knowing that something better is out there is different from that superiority being in my face consistently and my having to go back to what then becomes inferior by comparison. Right now, I have hundreds of titles that are acceptable and enjoyable in their current incarnations. I don't want them to start seeming less than that. To me, this is a qualitatively different situation from the VHS-to-DVD transition; that was a quantum jump in format, while this is a mere upgrade. I feel much the same about audio CD: I'd ignore any hi-def CD format as long as possible rather than make my hundreds of CDs shine less brightly in my own eyes. This attitude has the beneficial side-effect of saving me considerable money.

orangerunner
05-17-12, 08:53 PM
Right now, I have hundreds of titles that are acceptable and enjoyable in their current incarnations. I don't want them to start seeming less than that. To me, this is a qualitatively different situation from the VHS-to-DVD transition; that was a quantum jump in format, while this is a mere upgrade.

I think this was my initial feeling towards Blu-ray/HD-DVD when it first arrived on the market in 2006. I really liked my DVD collection and didn't want something bigger and better to come along and change my perception of it.
I had only started collecting DVDs since 2003 so for me, three years was too soon.

It's been long enough now that I have been replacing a few of the better titles with Blu-ray, most of which I pick up for $5-$10 each.

Some titles, even for $5 a pop, I wouldn't bother upgrading to Blu-ray.

growly
05-17-12, 10:58 PM
I still buy DVDs, but...

The benefits of DVD over videotape (and even laserdisc) were so obvious I can understand why it's such a popular format. I was far from convinced that I would be impressed with the improvements blu ray offered. However, having lived with my blu ray player and 55" plasma for a few months now I will admit to being extremely impressed with some blu ray releases. The load times for some discs leave me exasperated, and I have seen one disc (The Terminator) that to me looked exactly the same on DVD as it did on blu ray, I could not tell the difference. I keep my DVDs though and buy blu ray/DVD combo discs, because most of my friends don't have blu ray and I have a multi region portable DVD player that I take on trips away from home.

TimeandTide
05-18-12, 09:25 AM
I only buy DVDs of movies I a.) show in my classroom (Page One, Shattered Glass, Hamlet, etc.), and b.) replace discs that I dumped when I upgraded to Blu.

So I haven't completely given up on the format.

(Until someone suggested it in this forum, I never considered buying two-disc Blu-ray cases to hold the BD and the DVD. Now I'm on the lookout for super cheap DVDs of movies I want both formats of.)

Osiris3657
05-23-12, 09:59 AM
I used to have the mindset of Aceguy. I was content with my DVDs. Then I bought my first HDTV and blu ray player in 2008 and haven't looked back. I've bought 200+ blu rays since then, most of which have been upgrades over movies I already owned on DVD.
These days I only buy blu ray for movies, but for TV shows I still buy DVD (because the box sets fit aesthetically). There are exceptions, like Game of Thrones and Band of Brothers/The Pacific.

indiephantom
05-28-12, 09:28 AM
Still buy them, but more often buy BD. It's usually a matter of availability. Good news though, when I buy a DVD I can watch it on my Dad's great surround system setup. He has no BD. Yet.

Jacob6875
05-29-12, 03:03 AM
I still buy used DVDs for movies I do not own yet on either format but for buying new movies / tv shows I stick to blu rays.

The picture quality is so much better and the prices these days are similar most of the time between buying an item on DVD vs Blu Ray and a lot of movies seem to include a DVD copy anyway.

Larry C.
05-29-12, 01:51 PM
Yes you are the only one.