DVD Talk
Blade Runner: 5 Disc Blu-ray - Going...Going...Gone. OOP & $100 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Blade Runner: 5 Disc Blu-ray - Going...Going...Gone. OOP & $100

vdc530
04-28-12, 08:31 PM
I honestly think this is the only none Criterion title with the popularity to become the Salo of the Blu-ray era. It's gone. Completely discontinued and who knows how long till it comes back in print.

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Disc-Complete-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B000UBMWG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335662811&sr=8-3

$100 New $70 Used

Mr. Salty
04-28-12, 08:35 PM
This is the DVD forum, not the HD forum. You suck at this.

BuddhaWake
04-28-12, 08:56 PM
This is the DVD forum, not the HD forum. You suck at life.

fixed.

joliom
04-28-12, 09:22 PM
Looks like the single-disc "The Final Cut" edition is oop at Amazon too. In any case it's too popular a title to stay oop forever, although who knows in what edition.

Josh-da-man
04-28-12, 10:32 PM
It was released in 1982, so maybe they took it out of print because they're doing some kind of 30th Anniversary edition later this year.

The Cow
04-28-12, 10:44 PM
This was the set that had problems with duplicate/wrong discs.

Alan Smithee
04-28-12, 11:31 PM
Looks like all versions are OOP right now- probably on moratorium and will be reissued later, but who knows if it'll still have all FIVE cuts of the movie? (And does George Lucas have this in his collection?) Got mine on HD-DVD dirt cheap, had to buy a 2nd copy though because one disc was bad, one of many defective Warner discs.

The Valeyard
04-28-12, 11:49 PM
Wish I knew this would happen. I sold mine a year ago for 10 bucks.

Kurtie Dee
04-29-12, 02:16 AM
Please save us the time: <a href="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/529443-out-print-titles-recently-discovered-2nd-thread.html">Out Of Print Titles Thread</a>

Gobear
04-29-12, 09:55 AM
That's hilarious because it was selling for under $30 a couple of months ago, and the 4-disc DVD set was available for $5. I'm sure that anyone who really wanted it owns it by now.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-29-12, 12:14 PM
Is this the new High Fidelity? Only time will tell.

DJariya
04-29-12, 12:18 PM
:p I already have the OOP DVD Briefcase and the 5-disc BD set.

So my Blade Runner fix is set.

Mr. Salty
04-29-12, 03:51 PM
I honestly think this is the only none Criterion title with the popularity to become the Salo of the Blu-ray era. It's gone. Completely discontinued and who knows how long till it comes back in print.

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Disc-Complete-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B000UBMWG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335662811&sr=8-3

$100 New $70 Used

Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/blade-runner-complete-collectors-edition-blu-ray/205148243.html)

$38.14 new.

My Other Self
04-29-12, 08:51 PM
Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/blade-runner-complete-collectors-edition-blu-ray/205148243.html)

$38.14 new.$49.88 and it's through a 3rd party vendor.

But it's even cheaper through Half.com.

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ61911949

The Cow
04-29-12, 08:55 PM
$49.88 and it's through a 3rd party vendor.

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ61911949

It was at the Mr Salty price when he posted it. vdc530 is probably buying them all up to invest in his kids future.

milo bloom
04-29-12, 09:26 PM
It was at the Mr Salty price when he posted it. vdc530 is probably buying them all up to invest in his kids future.

Whatever the OP is up to, he needs to knock it the fuck off. I've been watching this BladeRunner set for a couple of months and was planning to buy it in May, but this type of posting seems to be causing a run. I just had to buy it on half.com instead of Amazon (where we had Prime).

vdc530
04-29-12, 10:15 PM
Whatever the OP is up to, he needs to knock it the fuck off. I've been watching this BladeRunner set for a couple of months and was planning to buy it in May, but this type of posting seems to be causing a run. I just had to buy it on half.com instead of Amazon (where we had Prime).

Why did you do that? I have a butt load of them in the trunk of my car, ill give you a good deal too, $200. Seriously tho, when your done with that stick up your ass you can thank me, because your stupid ass would have waited till may when even half.com isn't an option.

P.S. Does it usually take you a couple of months to make a $35 purchase? Were you looking for a loan or something?

davidh777
04-29-12, 10:35 PM
Why did you do that? I have a butt load of them in the trunk of my car, ill give you a good deal too, $200. Seriously tho, when your done with that stick up your ass you can thank me, because your stupid ass would have waited till may when even half.com isn't an option.

P.S. Does it usually take you a couple of months to make a $35 purchase? Were you looking for a loan or something?

Post reported

The Cow
04-29-12, 10:38 PM

He has all his money tied up in High Fidelity stock. When that ship comes in, we are all going to be rich!

vdc530
04-29-12, 10:56 PM
He has all his money tied up in High Fidelity stock. When that ship comes in, we are all going to be rich!

You know it! lol

P.S. K, Davidh777....that's nice, now run along and let the grown ups talk.

davidh777
04-29-12, 11:47 PM
You know it! lol

P.S. K, Davidh777....that's nice, now run along and let the grown ups talk.

Right, because "grown up" is what springs to mind with each of these threads

vdc530
04-30-12, 12:11 AM
Right, because "grown up" is what springs to mind with each of these threads

Cool story bro...just don't snitch me out

lmao

nemein
04-30-12, 08:52 AM

<i>Mod note: For someone who has supposedly been here as long as you have you think you would have picked up on how things work by now -ohbfrank- This type of language/rhetoric is not allowed here. You can disagree w/o being disagreeable or name calling.</i>

Larry C.
04-30-12, 10:26 AM
vdc530 I loathe you.

milo bloom
04-30-12, 11:02 AM

At the risk of mod action myself: bite me.

I have a lot of different things on different wish lists (not to mention purchase priorities for running a family/household) and I simply hadn't gotten to it yet. The fact that it had sat in the sub-$30 range on Amazon for a few months was something of a reassurance that it wasn't going to go nuts out of the blue. But lo and behold, you start posting things like this and it becomes a problem. I went to half.com to buy this last night, and I ordered a copy (there were about 5 different sellers). Overnight I got an email from the seller saying "oops, it's not in stock". Right, how soon before they magically find some stock and re-list it a higher price? I tried another seller, haven't got a rejection yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

You may think you're doing us a favor with this type of posting, but all you're doing is fanning the flames.

NoirFan
04-30-12, 11:49 AM
We already have a thread for rare and OOP Blu-rays:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/582506-most-limited-rarest-region-blu-rays-5.html

TomOpus
04-30-12, 12:29 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/582506-most-limited-rarest-region-blu-rays-5.htmlIt's been posted at least twice before and it doesn't stop him.

Larry C.
04-30-12, 12:43 PM

I have a lot of different things on different wish lists (not to mention purchase priorities for running a family/household) and I simply hadn't gotten to it yet. The fact that it had sat in the sub-$30 range on Amazon for a few months was something of a reassurance that it wasn't going to go nuts out of the blue. But lo and behold, you start posting things like this and it becomes a problem. I went to half.com to buy this last night, and I ordered a copy (there were about 5 different sellers). Overnight I got an email from the seller saying "oops, it's not in stock". Right, how soon before they magically find some stock and re-list it a higher price? I tried another seller, haven't got a rejection yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

You may think you're doing us a favor with this type of posting, but all you're doing is fanning the flames.

Why even waste your time explaining to this guy?

My Other Self
04-30-12, 02:51 PM

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ61911949And they're all gone. :lol:

I couldn't decide last night if I really wanted this. Blade Runner is fun and all but it's the type of movie I'd watch every few years.

slop101
04-30-12, 03:40 PM
Check your local stores (Best Buy, Fry's, Target, etc.); there's still some on the shelves out there.

My Other Self
04-30-12, 03:58 PM
Check your local stores (Best Buy, Fry's, Target, etc.); there's still some on the shelves out there.I guarantee Fry's does. When I was still collecting DVDs that was the store I would go to if a title I had wanted was long out of print. Almost guaranteed to have it.

All of these slipcover enthusiasts would have a heyday in there -- you can find original titles dating back to the start of the BD format with slipcovers still on them. :lol:

nando820
04-30-12, 04:07 PM

I can sell you mine if you want. I don't think I need it anymore and if I ever get it in the future I rather have the HD-DVD one.

vdc530
04-30-12, 04:26 PM
Check your local stores (Best Buy, Fry's, Target, etc.); there's still some on the shelves out there.

Don't bother, I purchased all copies from every B&M stores across North America. At least that's what you paranoid geniuses will think if your store doesn't have any copies. In fact, if you have any sealed copies at home I suggest you lock them up because I might crawl out of your pee hole at night and take it.

I went to half.com to buy this last night, and I ordered a copy (there were about 5 different sellers). Overnight I got an email from the seller saying "oops, it's not in stock". Right, how soon before they magically find some stock and re-list it a higher price? I tried another seller, haven't got a rejection yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

And I somehow had something to do with this guy being out of stock?

OldBoy
04-30-12, 04:27 PM
And I somehow had something to do with this guy being out of stock?

:wave:

vdc530
04-30-12, 04:47 PM

adrenaline78
04-30-12, 06:32 PM
The more that hit amazon and ebay it will just drive the price down.

NoirFan
04-30-12, 07:15 PM
I'm guessing WB will reissue the Final Cut as a 1-discer - maybe later this year as a 30th anniversary edition - but that'll be it.

BuckNaked2k
05-01-12, 09:42 AM
I still have two unopened "suitcases" with the DVD version.....WB Shop sent 'em to me in error and didn't want me to return.

NoirFan
05-01-12, 10:32 AM
^
I'd sell 'em on ebay, you might be able to afford a copy of High Fidelity with the proceeds.

milo bloom
05-01-12, 10:45 AM
Well, I got a confirmation from the half.com seller. If there's a problem I'll try the local Fry's. The Best Buys and Targets haven't had it on the shelves for a while now.

Randy Miller III
05-01-12, 10:45 AM
LOL, I never "upgraded" from my HD-DVD copy and now it looks like Warner's "Red2Blu" program is over. Oh well, at least I can still watch it...even on a dead format. :D

andicus
05-02-12, 10:00 AM
I picked up a copy from amazon.ca, but they're now showing 'Usually ships within 12 days' so that's probably it for them.

futureshop.ca shows 1 copy left, so if you're in Canada get it soon, rather than later.

I've still got my HD-DVD version as well, but I don't have much confidence in my HD-DVD drive lasting.

slop101
05-02-12, 10:57 AM
I did find one at my local Fry's - not in the regular blu-ray section, but in an end-cap at the back of the store.

Solid Snake
05-02-12, 11:04 AM
alright...so what's the official word on BR? What's up w/ all this OOP?

milo bloom
05-02-12, 11:05 AM
I did find one at my local Fry's - not in the regular blu-ray section, but in an end-cap at the back of the store.

I actually tried Fry's yesterday for the same thing, but didn't see it in the regular section either. What kind of endcap did you find it in and what was the price?

slop101
05-02-12, 11:36 AM
It was in the end-cap with a bunch of other random "classic" genre movies (Alien, Mad Max, etc). It was 19.99.

Mabuse
05-02-12, 12:42 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/582506-most-limited-rarest-region-blu-rays-5.html

I just want to say that I'm glad somebody started this thread. I can't monitor everything going on in the "recently discovered OOP" thread. A title this big going OOP is something I really wanted to know about so I'm glad it got its own thread.

I have the DVD briefcase and was holding off upgrading until the 5 disc got really cheap. Oh well. I'm sure this will be re-released in the not too distant future. Maybe November 2019.

clckworang
05-02-12, 02:07 PM
Seeing this thread keep getting bumped made me start to get paranoid that I didn't really have it! :lol: I had to open up my DVDProfiler to double-check. Yes, I indeed have the Blu-ray. I think I still have the HD-DVD lying around somewhere, too.

OldBoy
05-02-12, 04:55 PM
I can sell you mine if you want. I don't think I need it anymore and if I ever get it in the future I rather have the HD-DVD one.

big ups to nando for selling this to me for $20 shipped!! big ups. take that vdc and stick it in your ass!!!!!

MrSmearkase
05-02-12, 06:04 PM
big ups to nando for selling this to me for $20 shipped!! big ups. take that vdc and stick it in your ass!!!!!

Damn, pretty harsh Scott.

OldBoy
05-02-12, 06:09 PM

Well, I didn't mean the actual set because I want that maybe he should just take the stick out and stop trolling our iNterWeBs!!!!

vdc530
05-02-12, 09:57 PM

He's just angry I'm always right. Plus, nando, he's just going to turn around and sell it for a profit. It's his M.O.

My Other Self
05-02-12, 10:26 PM
It was in the end-cap with a bunch of other random "classic" genre movies (Alien, Mad Max, etc). It was 19.99.I was just in the Fry's here but couldn't find it. Everything is so spread out there with BDs mixed in with DVDs -- I may have missed it.

We can't post eBay auctions here but if you look right now there a used copy for $26.88 with free shipping and Buy It Now. Probably won't last another hour.

OldBoy
05-03-12, 06:42 AM
He's just angry I'm always right. Plus, nando, he's just going to turn around and sell it for a profit. It's his M.O.

ummmm....no.

doraemon10
05-03-12, 08:09 AM
Remember when Costco was selling these for $12.99? I saw 2-3 of these at my Barnes and Noble yesterday of course they were $39.95.

davidh777
05-03-12, 09:15 AM
Remember when Costco was selling these for $12.99? I saw 2-3 of these at my Barnes and Noble yesterday of course they were $39.95.

Barnes & Noble was more expensive than Costco? Things really are going crazy!

nando820
05-03-12, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the mention man -biggrin-

Gizmo
05-03-12, 10:14 AM

BUY BUY BUY!

This is like a College fund for your kids! Trust vdc! He bought up 3,735 copies of High Fidelity on DVD. That's going to be super-rare for, like, ever. It's not like a Blu-ray was coming out that will be MSRPed for $10 or something. Nahh, people are going to watch the decade old DVD.

Trust him.

nando820
05-03-12, 11:08 AM
^ High Fidelity, is that the film with John Cusack? Its not that expensice $0.98 used on Amazon

05-03-12, 05:34 PM
The OP must be amazon marketplace seller, Miles of Movies. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00003CXGA/sr=8-2/qid=1336084347/ref=olp_page_next?ie=UTF8&shipPromoFilter=0&coliid=&startIndex=15&sort=sip&me=&qid=1336084347&sr=8-2&colid=&condition=new

vdc530
05-04-12, 05:34 AM
Yup....you figured it out...that's me....that must be why they call you Mister Peepers...can't get anything past you huh?

Gizmo
05-04-12, 09:22 AM
^ High Fidelity, is that the film with John Cusack? Its not that expensice $0.98 used on Amazon

that's the point.

milo bloom
05-04-12, 10:25 PM
So this came today and its used as I expected but I recall that there was some issues with some of the discs. How can I tell if I need to fro anything with these?

Tks

Josh-da-man
05-05-12, 05:37 AM
So this came today and its used as I expected but I recall that there was some issues with some of the discs. How can I tell if I need to fro anything with these?

Tks

There were a lot instances where disc one (final cut) contained the contents of the fifth disc (workprint). Also think there were a few incidents where disc five contained the contents of disc one.

As long as disc one doesn't contain the workprint and disc five does, you should be good.

Doctorossi
05-05-12, 08:59 AM
There were a lot instances where disc one (final cut) contained the contents of the fifth disc (workprint). Also think there were a few incidents where disc five contained the contents of disc one.

As long as disc one doesn't contain the workprint and disc five does, you should be good.

Yes, this is exactly correct.

milo bloom
05-05-12, 09:37 AM

Ok it checks out good, thanks!

georgec
05-05-12, 10:49 PM
It seems like just yesterday the 5 disc Blu-Ray would be on sale for $20 or so. I got it when it was $13 a couple of years ago. Should have bought ten copies.

gerrythedon
05-06-12, 01:46 AM
Back on release date I went to Target and bought both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray [I still hadn't decided which system I was gonna get.]... my HD-DVD copy is still sealed on display.

Shagrath
05-06-12, 07:11 AM
I snagged one the other day at MovieStop for $24.99 used. Looks like it's never even been played before.

vdc530
05-06-12, 07:49 PM
I don't think there will ever be a set like this for Blade Runner again. Average customers don't care about having 5 different copies of the film for more than twice the price of a new catalog blu-ray release. It always felt like a limited run product to me because it was extremely special and very well made. These days the name of the game is low cost->low price. Expect a future release of a single disc seamlessly branched version of the Theatrical and Director's cut. Not the kind of quality release this and the briefcase were.

Oh god, I can see it now... flimsy blu-ray case with a recycle symbol cut out of the case....

xage
05-06-12, 09:52 PM

$100 New $70 Used
Its not even this set? what more with the attache case version?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/xage00/BR_BR.jpg

Dr. Mantle
05-06-12, 11:57 PM
I don't think there will ever be a set like this for Blade Runner again.

You make a great point. After all it's not like this year is Blade Runner's 30th anniversary. And it's not like Ridley Scott has another big science fiction film coming out in a few weeks. Also it make senses for Warner to pay money to produce supplemental content and then use it just once.

The Train of Unassailable Logic is moving right along in this thread.

CliffStephenson
05-07-12, 02:25 AM
You make a great point. After all it's not like this year is Blade Runner's 30th anniversary. And it's not like Ridley Scott has another big science fiction film coming out in a few weeks. Also it make senses for Warner to pay money to produce supplemental content and then use it just once.

The Train of Unassailable Logic is moving right along in this thread.

As is the Train of Unfounded Presumption.

After all, didn't Paramount and Lucas have a 4th Indiana Jones film they made just a few years ago that they released the original trilogy along side of? No? Maybe it was that Indy film's DVD and Blu-ray release? Oh, no again? I also seem to remember the Star Wars DVD have a major amount of extras that were pretty amazing. Documentaries, trailers, finished prequel deleted scenes... But I had a hard time finding that stuff on the Blu-ray. Can you help me find it? After all, it just wouldn't make any sense for Fox and Lucasfilm to pay to have all that material created/finished and then not release it again. I mean the good news is that NO BLU-RAY has ever been released that dropped the extras. So glad you were able to set us straight.

There's a lot more that goes into these things than what 'you' think is obvious. I'm not saying it won't get re-released later this year to coattail Prometheus, but to assume it will while eye rolling those who are unsure probably shows any even greater lack of understanding in how this stuff goes down. Warner would have, most likely, announced the title was going away if this were a grand marketing plan (like they did with Harry Potter, Wizard of Oz, Lethal Weapon, Casablanca, and others). Blade Runner is going through some rights things again (it happens every couple of years it seems) which has made booking the film theatrically right now impossible (but I mean, it's not like it's the 30th anniversary or anything).

So... taken all together, yes, I think that logic is pretty unassailable.

JeffTheAlpaca
05-07-12, 04:03 AM
If you really want it why not just buy the regular 4 disc edition for $10 and play it on a blu-ray player and the picture will be unconverted to near HD resolution though not exactly.

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/BladeRunner/Images/BladeRunner-DVD-4Disc.jpg

Mr. Salty
05-07-12, 04:10 AM
though not exactly.
Not anywhere near exactly.

DVD Josh
05-07-12, 07:25 AM
If you really want it why not just buy the regular 4 disc edition for $10 and play it on a blu-ray player and the picture will be unconverted to near HD resolution though not exactly.

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/BladeRunner/Images/BladeRunner-DVD-4Disc.jpg

Not much of a technical guy, are you Jeff?

Solid Snake
05-07-12, 09:40 AM
Yeah...it's 1080fuckingp or no go, motherfucker.

Doctorossi
05-07-12, 09:43 AM

You tell 'im good, Snake.

JeffTheAlpaca
05-07-12, 03:08 PM
I know but Warner is probably going to release a new Blu-ray soon and why pay $50+ for a blu-ray now?

I was just saying don't be a snob and you can buy or rent the regular dvd for now until the new blu-ray comes out.

I have both versions so I don't care.

JeffTheAlpaca
05-07-12, 03:09 PM
I know but Warner is probably going to release a new Blu-ray soon and why pay $50+ for a blu-ray now?

I was just saying don't be a snob and you can buy or rent the regular dvd for now until the new blu-ray comes out.

I have both versions so I don't care.

Solid Snake
05-07-12, 03:17 PM
I'll fucking wait. Why waste cash on the lesser form when a rerelease is possible to come?

05-07-12, 03:46 PM
I'm going to laugh if they do a re-release this year for the 30th anniversary and everyone that payed inflated prices to sell at even more inflated prices gets stuck with stuff they can't sell.

vdc530
05-07-12, 07:49 PM

Hell yea.....:cool:

And for everybody else, it's not coming out for a 30th anniversary so you can stop holding your breath. It's been confirmed by many, including Cliff on Blu-ray.com, who is an industry insider and has an excellent track record for information on the forums over there. Rights issues have stalled all sales of this thing, including theatrical distribution. Even confirmed by Arclight Cinemas and Aint it Cool News who weren't able to get prints for exhibition.

BuckNaked2k
05-07-12, 08:13 PM
....and everyone that payed inflated prices to sell at even more inflated prices gets stuck with stuff they can't sell.That would be the first time that's ever happened.

My Other Self
05-07-12, 09:51 PM
I really can't see them re-releasing the 5 Disc set again. How many 5-disc sets for one movie are there nowadays?

slop101
05-07-12, 10:31 PM
I really can't see them re-releasing the 5 Disc set again. How many 5-disc sets for one movie are there nowadays?Well, considering 2 of those discs are DVDs, it's pretty likely that the re-release will consolidate things into 3 or 4 blu-rays.

Doctorossi
05-07-12, 10:47 PM
Well, considering 2 of those discs are DVDs, it's pretty likely that the re-release will consolidate things into 3 or 4 blu-rays.

The materials on those DVDs were produced in HD and intended to be released in HD as well. Warner cheaped out at the last hurdle and gave them to us in SD, instead. So, an ideal re-release would feature 5 Blu-ray discs, with the extras in HD, as was originally planned.

This is my favorite movie, so if they offered us a re-release of this set with HD extras and a fresh higher-bitrate, newer-codec compression, I'd happily give my first-born for it. I do, however, recognize that I'm a nutcase. :D

05-07-12, 11:15 PM
That would be the first time that's ever happened.

Can't tell if you're joking or not but it's definitely something that happens.

BuckNaked2k
05-08-12, 12:14 AM
Can't tell if you're joking or not but it's definitely something that happens.I guess I forgot the obligatory :rolleyes:

Hammer99
05-08-12, 09:37 PM
Crazy. I figured this was like Planet Earth, & everyone already had it.

milo bloom
05-09-12, 10:09 AM
Crazy. I figured this was like Planet Earth, & everyone already had it.

Well, I got the DVD set with the briefcase the Christmas right after it came out, but then a few months ago I found a promo copy of the briefcase with a special promo DVD and metal keychain with a spinner car at a thrift store for $15. I figured I could sell off my DVD version briefcase, and then just get the 5 disc Bluray. For various reasons as I mentioned earlier, I hadn't picked it up yet and finally pulled the trigger last week.

vdc530
05-11-12, 06:41 PM
There it goes...prices are starting to look third man-ish . Seems like they will soon be in the low hundred's to $150. That's how it is with popular titles once they get discontinued, they run out in no time. Luckily a couple of listings under $100 bucks.

The used title listings on Amazon are most suprising. It's understandable that new copies are running out because once you crack the shrinkwrap, it ceases to be new. But I find it amazing very few people are letting go of their used copies. There must be millions of copies out there yet so few people willing to sell it. It seems the demand greatly outweighs the supply. Very interesting...I think one day in the near future we will all be drooling over this like we did past high value OOP titles that were unattainable.

slop101
05-11-12, 07:21 PM
...I think one day in the near future we will all be drooling over this like we did past high value OOP titles that were unattainable.Do you think WB will let this stay out of print more than a year? I expect a new (possibly better) version by Christmas - maybe in conjunction with Scott's Prometheus blu-ray release.

Josh-da-man
05-11-12, 07:58 PM
Do you think WB will let this stay out of print more than a year? I expect a new (possibly better) version by Christmas - maybe in conjunction with Scott's Prometheus blu-ray release.

I can't see there not being a re-release in the near future. This is the 30th anniversary of the movie, and Prometheus is also coming out. I fully expect a re-release this fall/winter.

Superdaddy
05-18-12, 06:22 PM
Amazon has a pre-order up for a four-disc BD/DVD "30th Anniversary Collector's Edition," list price $64.99. I don't own the five-disc version, but based on the description that amazon has, this sounds like substantially the same content. Someone with that edition can feel free to comment on similarities/differences:

Over 10 hours of bonus content
"Final Cut" feature on Blu-ray and DVD
Three additional feature versions on one disc, seamlessly branched
All new bonus content disc featuring the existing EC from the UCE plus
Photo Gallery with 1,000+ new images
"Dangerous Days" documentary
The Work Print feature version
Over 6 featurettes and more

EDIT: My best guess based on this description: this is the same two BDs from the old set with all versions of the movie save the workprint. A new, third BD adds the two previous DVDs of extras to the workprint version, putting all of that content on one BD disc and adding a few extra items. That boils the five-disc set down to three, and the Final Cut DVD is tossed in on top of that.

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=sr_1_33?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1337383397&sr=1-33)

Mr. Cinema
05-18-12, 06:51 PM
http://oi48.tinypic.com/ivwz6p.jpg

NoirFan
05-18-12, 07:04 PM
I'd likely buy a single-disc of Final Cut with a newer transfer, but this does look like the same release, only fewer discs and, according to the Amazon listing, including a few new trinkets: Additionally, the gift set features an all new concept spinner car for your collection, action Lenticular and a 72 page art production book with never-before-seen Ridley sketches, poster art and photos from the set.

LPMA
05-18-12, 07:25 PM
Was the transfer for The Final Cut different on the single disc edition and on the 5 disc set? I thought it looked amazing.

Gizmo
05-18-12, 10:00 PM
SELL SELL SELL!!!!!!

Thank god I stocked up on High Fidelity DVDs!

milo bloom
05-19-12, 07:49 AM
Hmph. Should have expected as much but cest la vie.

Gizmo
05-19-12, 08:36 AM
I'll stick with my HD DVD briefcase set. This was a pretty good looking disc back when it was released and I doubt Warner went back and did anything else to it. The extras...meh.

Drop
05-19-12, 09:05 AM
I have the DVD briefcase version and have indefinitely borrowed the 5-disc blu-ray version from my bro, but I may get this new set just so I don't have to keep borrowing my bro's set. If there's anything new, that's a bonus.

Ranger
05-19-12, 09:37 AM
Seems like a cool new set. Interesting if the ultra violet thing will become a more popular format.

I have the 4-disc dvd set and am happy with it. Got it for $12 last year.

TomOpus
05-19-12, 09:50 AM
I have the Blu-ray set so I'm good.

Ringmaster
05-19-12, 10:58 AM
I have the DVD briefcase and the Blu Ray set, so I guess nothing to see here for me.

adrenaline78
05-19-12, 01:32 PM
I have the DVD briefcase as well. I don't feel the need to spend more $ on something I already own.

georgec
05-19-12, 01:47 PM
I have the DVD briefcase and the Blu Ray set, so I guess nothing to see here for me.

Same here. But I might snag the new set when it goes on sale some time after its release.

EdTheRipper
05-19-12, 02:15 PM

And for everybody else, it's not coming out for a 30th anniversary so you can stop holding your breath. It's been confirmed by many, including Cliff on Blu-ray.com, who is an industry insider and has an excellent track record for information on the forums over there. Rights issues have stalled all sales of this thing, including theatrical distribution. Even confirmed by Arclight Cinemas and Aint it Cool News who weren't able to get prints for exhibition.

Looks like you were wrong yet again.

Matthew Chmiel
05-19-12, 10:57 PM
I'd like to point out the Blu-ray five-disc set uses three single-layer BD discs.

They could encode all of the bonus material in HD and use the same encodes as before and fit everything comfortably onto those three discs.

zyzzle
05-20-12, 03:57 PM
I'd like to point out the Blu-ray five-disc set uses three single-layer BD discs.

That's just it, in the material was originally encoded at a marginal bitrate (< 20 Mbits/sec). It looked great in 2006-07 but today it rates only average at best.

Warner, give us a new encode at 35+ Mbits/sec using a 2012-technology AVC encoder, and make the most of the Blu-Ray format!

Then, the fans will see that this is worthy of a double-dip, and will purchase it in droves. As it is, the proposed 30th Anniv. release is a cash-grab repackaging of previously-released material.

05-20-12, 04:03 PM

http://oi48.tinypic.com/ivwz6p.jpg

Seriously, this is just awesome.

vdc530, maybe it'd be better if you told us what not to buy. Maybe you'd have better luck picking things that are worth something that way :shrug:

Artman
05-20-12, 05:45 PM
Curious what kind of packaging the new release will have. I have the original fat 5-disc case, which is ok, but I wouldn't mind something more compact. Of course, if and when the sequel comes out (at least two yrs away) we'll get another release.

ScissorPuppy
05-21-12, 08:56 AM
I have the HD-DVD briefcase set, so I'll be rebuying this new set without a doubt. Looking forward to seeing if the extras are in HD this time (Although with the disc count it doesn't look like it). Stuffing that 4 hour doc on one dvd was pretty silly.

Gizmo
05-21-12, 09:17 AM
I have the HD-DVD briefcase set, so I'll be rebuying this new set without a doubt. Looking forward to seeing if the extras are in HD this time (Although with the disc count it doesn't look like it). Stuffing that 4 hour doc on one dvd was pretty silly.

The extras are in HD this time around?

ScissorPuppy
05-21-12, 09:31 AM
Hopefully, I am looking forward to seeing "if" they are in HD. Seems pointless to do all the work in HD and then cram all 4hrs on one dvd.
(Although I remember being surprised that it didn't look like a pixalated mess when watching). I guess it's wishful thinking. Even a 720p version would be fine and would fit on a single Blu disc no problem.

The Valeyard
05-23-12, 11:11 PM

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h433/Andrew_Rubio/Repeat%20Use/17446963.jpg

Supermallet
05-24-12, 12:17 AM
That's just it, in the material was originally encoded at a marginal bitrate (< 20 Mbits/sec). It looked great in 2006-07 but today it rates only average at best.

Warner, give us a new encode at 35+ Mbits/sec using a 2012-technology AVC encoder, and make the most of the Blu-Ray format!

Then, the fans will see that this is worthy of a double-dip, and will purchase it in droves. As it is, the proposed 30th Anniv. release is a cash-grab repackaging of previously-released material.

IIRC, the existing Blu-ray was encoded with VC-1, which is capable of producing excellent image quality at relatively low bitrates. I'm guessing we will not see a new transfer on this set.

Matthew Chmiel
05-24-12, 12:35 AM
IIRC, the existing Blu-ray was encoded with VC-1, which is capable of producing excellent image quality at relatively low bitrates. I'm guessing we will not see a new transfer on this set.
Warner, Universal and others still continue to use the VC-1 codec depending on the release in question. It's not as bad of a codec most make it out to be. On the contrary, it's extremely useful when squeezing a lot of content on a single disc... like a television series.

Even if Warner uses an AVC encode on this release, it's not going to visually improve upon the prior release significantly unless they utilize the entire BD-50 for the films themselves and drop all of the bonus material. Warner pushes lower bitrates with most of their AVC encoded titles despite the fact they continuously use BD-50s. To throw more fuel into the fire, when Warner puts out releases that contain multiple cuts, they're usually separate encodes on the same disc. They don't use seamless branching like on the Blade Runner release, they just slap two 20GB encodes of the film on the disc and call it a day.

Doctorossi
05-24-12, 08:00 AM
I'm guessing we will not see a new transfer on this set.

It doesn't need a new transfer, but a new encode/compression would be nice.

zyzzle
05-24-12, 07:21 PM
It doesn't need a new transfer, but a new encode/compression would be nice.

Exactly right! That's what I was trying to point out above. Not asking for a brand new transfer, the 2006 HD transfer is very good.

It can't cost Warner *that* much more in time, expense, or effort to give each version of BLADE RUNNER a full-capacity BD-50 and higher bitrate and better codec. Then call it a day, and we'll have maximized the picture quality of that 2006 HD transfer!

JoeyOhhhh
05-24-12, 07:50 PM
I guess the thread title needs an update

Mr. Salty
05-25-12, 12:23 AM
I guess the thread title needs an update

No it doesn't, because the five-disc set is out of print. The new release is four discs.

The Valeyard
05-25-12, 02:11 AM
No way it stays at $100 tho.

Gizmo
05-25-12, 09:16 AM
No it doesn't, because the five-disc set is out of print. The new release is four discs.

....and many other titles are out of print to be released by either superior versions or 'compressed' ones. If everything from the 5 disc set makes it onto the 4 disc- plus more extras - why would anyone want the 5 disc?

yoshimi
05-25-12, 03:57 PM
I am in for this new set. I was robbed awhile back and the briefcase was one of the things they took. Still my favorite film of all time.

Doctorossi
05-25-12, 06:08 PM
Still my favorite film of all time.

Nice to meet another member of the good taste club.

Paul_SD
05-25-12, 07:02 PM
Was planning to upgrade this from my HD DVD set, but then I decided to wait until it gets a new remaster- one that ditches the new Teal and Orange grading RS has been imposing on all his (best) catalog the last few years.

Will probably take at least until the 40th anniversary, but the HD DVD will suffice till then I suppose.

yoshimi
05-29-12, 03:15 PM
I found a new copy of the 5 disc set for $32 today and jumped all over it. I was a bit nerveous on the drive home about getting one with the mislabled disc 1. Luckily everything is great.

Matthew Chmiel
05-30-12, 01:14 PM
Warner's four-disc Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack offers five versions of the picture: the rare workprint version, the 1982 domestic and international theatrical cuts, the 1993 director's cut, and the 2007 Final Cut, which contains additional revisions not present in any of the previous versions. Further technical specifications are unknown, though the Blu-ray does contain a number of bonus supplements, such as:

All-new bonus content disc featuring the existing extra content from the Ultimate Collector's Edition:

Photo gallery with 1,000+ new images
Feature-length Dangerous Days documentary
Over six behind-the-scenes featurettes

The discs come packaged in a collectible 72-page digibook with "never-before-seen Ridley [Scott] sketches, poster art, and photos from the set" alongside a concept spinner car and action Lenticular hologram.

The 30th Anniversary Edition of Blade Runner streets on October 2nd.

I'll place bets on:

Disc 1: Final Cut
Disc 2: 1993 Director's Cut, 1982 Theatrical Cuts, Rare Workprint
Disc 3: Bonus Materials
Disc 4: DVD

Based upon those specs, I don't think we'll be getting a re-encode of the transfers.

georgec
05-30-12, 04:24 PM
Disappointing that the Dangerous Days documentary will still be SD, according to Bill Hunt.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#052912

vdc530
06-02-12, 03:00 PM
I haven't checked on this thread in a looong while. Fantastic news, I'm more than happy to be wrong if this is the result.

I kinda Love/Hate the cover, anyone else?

JeffTheAlpaca
06-02-12, 04:27 PM
The new cover sucks

Glad I got the original blu-ray release though don't understand why the 30th anniversary edition is a blu-ray/DVD combo

trespoochies
06-02-12, 09:16 PM
I love that new cover, but it has a feel like its fan-made art. I would have loved seeing the cover be the eye from the very beginning of the movie. Sucks Dangerous Days will remain in SD though.

trespoochies
06-02-12, 10:42 PM
FYI - June 9th on Encore…they will be showing the theatrical cut, directors cut, and Final Cut back to back in celebration of the 30th anniversary.

WeylandYutani
06-04-12, 05:41 PM
Still my favorite film of all time.

Ditto.

zyzzle
06-05-12, 04:24 PM
Also my favorite (and a favorite of many real life acquaintances). This is why I want a stellar effort put into the 30th Anniv. Blu. If any film deserves to look its best, it is this as a definitive one!

The atmosphere and scenery are characters in the movie!

RobLutter
06-05-12, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't expect a new transfer. The old one is already stellar.

trespoochies
06-25-12, 06:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/380678_454320634586177_528492397_n.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340667638&sr=8-1&keywords=Blade+Runner+30th+Anniversary+Collector%27s+Edition+%284-Disc+Blu-ray+%2F+DVD+%2BUltraViolet+Digital+Copy+Combo+Pack%29

whotony
06-25-12, 06:41 PM
^I like that box.

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 07:15 PM
^I like that box.

depending on what kind of box it is.

whotony
06-25-12, 07:38 PM
I don't care, I'm not bothered the way most people are by cases that aren't regular blu ray cases. Probably will be a regular case in that box similar to that Muppets lunch box, box from Best Buy earlier this year.

06-25-12, 07:41 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/380678_454320634586177_528492397_n.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340667638&sr=8-1&keywords=Blade+Runner+30th+Anniversary+Collector%27s+Edition+%284-Disc+Blu-ray+%2F+DVD+%2BUltraViolet+Digital+Copy+Combo+Pack%29

Never forget

BuckNaked2k
06-25-12, 07:43 PM
I'm a sucker for DigiBooks.....would re-buy for one, but not for anything else.

mjl1297
06-28-12, 07:15 PM
So can anyone confirm if the set referenced by trespoochies above indeed has the same content as the 5 disc blu-ray?

xage
06-28-12, 10:58 PM
The set sure does carry a different toy vehicle.

The one I got with the 5 disc Attache Case Blu Ray Edition came with a Blue Color Vehicle

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/xage00/BR_BR2.jpg

mjl1297
06-28-12, 11:24 PM
Mainly I was wondering whether or not it had the same disc content as the 5 disc set with the two DVDs now on a single blu-ray.

Nice looking set though! :)

Matthew Chmiel
06-29-12, 12:45 AM
So can anyone confirm if the set referenced by trespoochies above indeed has the same content as the 5 disc blu-ray?
Yes, it's already been confirmed the set will have the same content.

Matthew Chmiel
07-16-12, 11:59 PM
AICN has confirmed discs one and two (Final Cut and US Theatrical, International Theatrical, and "Director's Cut" seamlessly branched) are the same single-layered discs that were created for the original five disc set.

The Workprint Cut is now on a dual-layered disc with all of the DVD bonus material added.

joliom
07-17-12, 02:06 AM
Is there anything new on this release bonus features wise? Anything dropped from the 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition?

trespoochies
07-17-12, 07:49 AM
Is there anything new on this release bonus features wise? Anything dropped from the 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition?

Thw only new feature I know of is a - Photo gallery with 1,000+ new images

I haven't heard about anything being dropped yet.

RocShemp
07-17-12, 08:22 AM
I look forward to finally picking this up (when it's released in a standard case).

Josh-da-man
07-17-12, 01:10 PM
I look forward to finally picking this up (when it's released in a standard case).

The AICN article here (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57076) indicates that there will be a digibook released that contains only the three blu-ray discs.

I wonder if the digibook will contain the content of the 72 page artbook as part of the book packaging.

Mr. Cinema
07-17-12, 02:35 PM
Digibook image from blu-ray.com:

http://images4.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/50584_large.jpg

zyzzle
07-17-12, 05:53 PM
Sigh... We'll probably have to wait until 2022 to get proper newly remastered versions of BLADE RUNNER... This was the perfect opportunity, and what we got for the 40th Anniv. is a repackaging of 2005 transfers at low bitrates. Of course in 2022, we won't have a physical product anymore.

Damn, Warner really dropped the ball on my favorite film. I'm learning to keep my expectations super low on future releases.

gryffinmaster
07-30-12, 05:47 PM
Looks like they're throwing all three discs into the digibook:

http://i.imgur.com/NXtKW.jpg

Spottedfeather
07-30-12, 05:51 PM
So, what is the difference between the new set and the old one ? Does it have the same versions of the film and the same extras ?

Superdaddy
07-30-12, 05:56 PM
So, what is the difference between the new set and the old one ? Does it have the same versions of the film and the same extras ?

It seems a pretty large stills gallery is new, so far all else appears to be the same.

All the extras included on the two DVDs previously have been lumped onto a single BD along with the workprint, thus condensing three discs of content into one.

NoirFan
07-30-12, 06:11 PM
Such a blown opportunity to at least increase the bitrates, not to mention include the doc in HD.

Superdaddy
07-30-12, 06:43 PM
Such a blown opportunity to at least increase the bitrates, not to mention include the doc in HD.

I agree. I never bought the previous BD set; I still have the four-disc DVD. I might eventually grab the digibook if it gets cheap.

BuckNaked2k
08-03-12, 12:25 PM
What accounts for the huge disparity in price?

DigiBook (http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B008M4MB8K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344014332&sr=8-5&keywords=blade+runner)

4-Disc Set (http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344014332&sr=8-2&keywords=blade+runner)

RobLutter
08-03-12, 12:28 PM

DigiBook (http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B008M4MB8K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344014332&sr=8-5&keywords=blade+runner)

4-Disc Set (http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344014332&sr=8-2&keywords=blade+runner)
One is a combo pack... one is not?

RocShemp
08-03-12, 02:09 PM
Shame the other three cuts only get lossy audio.

steelbookdave
08-08-12, 12:10 AM
This thread made me LOL! Anyone reading this needs to read the first few pages. Anyways, In my humble opionion the Blade Runner: Final Cut Steelbook is the one that takes the cake...

Gizmo
08-08-12, 09:17 AM

Increase bitrates? More bitrates does not always equal better looking picture...

NoirFan
08-08-12, 09:25 AM
Increase bitrates? More bitrates does not always equal better looking picture...

Well, it certainly wouldn't have hurt. As it is, there's zero reason for anyone to double-dip on these.

Gizmo
08-08-12, 09:36 AM
Well, it certainly wouldn't have hurt. As it is, there's zero reason for anyone to double-dip on these.

I think that's the point. They are just re-marketing the title for those new Blu owners who may have missed the boring version on shelves. Not much else was actually done here.

TheDuke
08-08-12, 07:51 PM
I'll probably sell my old set and get the new digibook, simply because it's one of my favorite movies ever, digibooks are sexy, and I'm glad they are reducing the number of discs from 5 to 3.

zyzzle
08-08-12, 10:41 PM
The point we've been trying to make is that they're lazy, and they've dropped the ball, especially on such a great opportunity as the film's 30th Anniv. A re-encode up to 2012 standards, on dual-layer media is not that much of a stretch to have expected.

Gizmo
08-08-12, 11:08 PM
Extra money for away? 100 more sales?

Superdaddy
08-09-12, 06:36 AM

The four-disc one should be the boxed set with the art book and spinner car replica as well as the DVD. Not sure why they're showing a regular BD case.

Bitrates aside, the scuttlebutt is that the transfer on the Final Cut is filtered and high frequency detail isn't all it should be. (Note: As stated before, I don't own the BD). If this is true, a new encode would be desirable, and as someone else said, they need to ditch the lossy audio on the other versions.

But this is Warner, so these will be the same BDs as before, just in different packaging.

BuckNaked2k
08-09-12, 09:08 AM
The four-disc one should be the boxed set with the art book and spinner car replica as well as the DVD. Not sure why they're showing a regular BD case.I see. So that item is really the one shown here: #138 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11285117-post138.html)

Superdaddy
08-09-12, 09:54 AM
I see. So that item is really the one shown here: #138 (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11285117-post138.html)

Yes, I do believe so.

dlbsyst
08-09-12, 10:01 AM
The point we've been trying to make is that they're lazy, and they've dropped the ball, especially on such a great opportunity as the film's 30th Anniv. A re-encode up to 2012 standards, on dual-layer media is not that much of a stretch to have expected.

This is Warner were talking about. They want you to buy the same movie over and over. They will get as many as possible to buy this release and then in a year or two offer the film in a better quality so they can sucker us all in buying it again. Same thing they are current doing with "Gone with the wind" and "The wizard of oz". I have lost all respect for this studio.(

BuckNaked2k
08-09-12, 10:09 AM
....Same thing they are currently doing with "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz". I have lost all respect for this studio.There's a new Wizard release in the works??

trespoochies
08-09-12, 10:13 AM
There's a new Wizard release in the works??

No worries, the visionary director is on this.

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims4/INDIEWIRE/18a1106/4102462740/thumbnail/680x478/http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/33/d26910cd2f11e1a00322000a1d0930/file/Oz_GreatAndPowerful-Poster--2-header.jpg

Kidding. I have no desire to see any more releases of the original Oz after the last one. That was great, but that was enough.

Doctorossi
08-09-12, 10:18 AM
There's a new Wizard release in the works??

Sadly, yes.

wahlers
10-22-12, 07:34 AM
Are there any early reviews of this new Anniversary set yet?

I'm just trying to get confirmation that the movies are identical to the previous release and that the only differences between the previous blu-ray set and this one are:

1. The two supplemental DVDs from the previous set are now included (in their entirety) on the same blu-ray as the workprint

and

2. That the only supplement upgraded to HD is the still gallery and that it has been expanded with more images.

BuckNaked2k
10-22-12, 09:14 AM
I am curious to see if the HD features still default to a lossy Dolby 5.1 soundtrack...

Josh Z
10-23-12, 02:34 PM
Reported on another forum (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/324670/a-few-words-about-blade-runner-30th-anniversary-collectors-edition-in-blu-ray#post_3992355):

The Final Cut disc is the same as the original, it is encoded in VC1 and you have to manually select the Dolby True-HD track.

The workprint edition (Thanks for that RAH), suddenly has an AVC encode with DTS-HDMA sound.

The original and director's cuts still have the old encode and only DD 5.1.

I would enjoy this set much more if Warners had at least re-authored the discs to make lossless sound the default sound for the final prints and to add lossless sound to the original releases and to the director's cut.

They had to re-author the workprint disc because they put it on the same disc with the supplements.

Disc 1 (The Final Cut) is 21.7GB
Disc 2 (Original Theatrical, International Theatrical, and Director's Cut) is 22.8GB
Disc 3 (Workprint and Special Features) is 34.8GB

trespoochies
10-23-12, 02:40 PM
WTF, the workprint actually got upgraded?? And is the doc now in HD?

zyzzle
10-23-12, 04:27 PM
Bad technical specs all the way around. Even so, cramming the workprint and special features into 34.8 GB when 50 GB was available shows sloppy authoring / encoding, in spite of the new AVC encode for the workprint.

Warner taking the path of least resistance, as always.

To those who *do* have the new set, is the Workprint version significantly improved in PQ from the old VC1 encode?

milo bloom
10-23-12, 04:33 PM
Figured this was getting close, I've started seeing copies of the older set at the used DVD stores. If anybody wants the old version that'll be the place to get it.

kefrank
10-23-12, 04:43 PM
Bad technical specs all the way around. Even so, cramming the workprint and special features into 34.8 GB when 50 GB was available shows sloppy authoring / encoding, in spite of the new AVC encode for the workprint.
Aren't we past that myth this far into Blu-ray's existence? Within certain limits of reasonableness, file size alone is not a direct indicator of the quality of an encode.

trespoochies
10-23-12, 04:57 PM
I still have no idea if Dangerous Days is now in HD or not.

EDIT: Someone on blu-ray.com forum stated it's still SD. Dammit.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g300/autobot314/BRDB_zps9eec14cf.jpg

BuckNaked2k
10-23-12, 05:39 PM
It's definitely SD. It has always been slated to be in SD. There should be no surprises on the documentary.

Robert
10-23-12, 06:56 PM
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7381/bladerunner_30th_ce_digibook.html

wahlers
10-24-12, 07:28 AM
The Workprint was in HD on the old set too, wasn't it?

What's different about it in the new one?

Robert
10-24-12, 07:44 AM

It might help if you read the posts above yours.

Josh Z
10-24-12, 10:36 AM

Mainly, the Workprint now has lossless audio. It only had lossy Dolby Digital on the old set. It also has a new AVC encode (old one was VC-1), but it remains to be seen whether there's any visible difference.

wahlers
10-24-12, 01:29 PM
Thank you for the constructive response Josh Z. :)

I did read the responses above, but don't understand the technical side of encoding, so when people were saying it had a new AVC encode and someone else asked if it had been upgraded, I assumed they were talking about it going from SD to HD and didn't catch that the upgrade also involved the audio. I was pretty sure the video was in HD before, but was at work so couldn't check, so just wanted some clarification.

I happen to like the work print version a lot so just wanted to know if it would be worth upgrading over the old set.

trespoochies
10-25-12, 03:36 PM
Damn, is the digibook already OOP?

OldBoy
10-25-12, 04:16 PM
Damn, is the digibook already OOP?

Why would it be? It is still readily available...

trespoochies
10-25-12, 04:18 PM
Amazon no longer has it available. Maybe it's just an OOS issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B008M4MB8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351199874&sr=8-2&keywords=Blade+Runner+blu+ray

BuckNaked2k
10-25-12, 06:45 PM
^ Curious.

whotony
10-25-12, 08:05 PM
Why would it be? It is still readily available...

Where?

OldBoy
10-25-12, 08:15 PM
Where?

Best Buy, Walmart, Target...all available for shipping. With Walmart, free ship to store.

Meathead
10-26-12, 12:58 PM
It's back up on Amazon... Still $23.99 and in stock.

Mr. Cinema
10-31-12, 07:59 AM
Walmart has an exclusive BD+DVD+UV combo pack of the Final Cut version for $9.96.

Artman
10-31-12, 08:30 PM
Decided to spring for this new release...the packaging's great...I'm afraid I've been converted to a digibook fan!