Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Which Avengers Prequel is Your Favorite ?

Dr. DVD
04-28-12, 04:47 PM
I realize one of these was posted last summer, but I think some opinions might have changed since then as I am sure we have been re-watching our DVDs/BRs in prep for the movies like the good geeks we are at heart. ;)

I seem to remember voting Iron Man last summer, but having dome seen Captain America a few more times , I think this is now my favorite with Iron Man being second. Both of these are the strongest IMO as they seem to be focused primarily on being their own movies as opposed to extended Avengers teasers. I'm not saying I disliked the others per se, they just come across as such to me.

GoldenJCJ
04-28-12, 04:53 PM
I'm the in the (very small) minority that enjoyed The Incredible Hulk the most.

I'd rank them as such:
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

islandclaws
04-28-12, 05:21 PM
Iron Man (it's the most fun, and I can really watch it anytime it's on)
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

DaveyJoe
04-28-12, 05:26 PM
I think Iron Man is the best because it actually stands on its own, while the others all shoehorn the Avengers stuff in.

Boba Fett
04-28-12, 05:29 PM
Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

fumanstan
04-28-12, 05:29 PM
Iron Man, but i've enjoyed them all. My ranking -

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

OldBoy
04-28-12, 05:36 PM
Iron Man

Mike86
04-28-12, 05:56 PM
Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America: The First Avenger

I've thought they were all decent so far but I didn't care that much for Captain America. It felt like a throw away movie that was about hyping The Avengers more than anything to me. Iron Man is probably the funnest to watch for me and it's got the most replay value I think. Thor surprised me with how much I liked it though.

Hokeyboy
04-28-12, 05:59 PM
In order:

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

All of them range from OK to Great, but I have no real need to ever watch Iron Man 2 again. It was a rushed, lazy sequel, but got more right than wrong. Hulk was good fun and what you'd want from a Hulk movie. No more, no less. I warmed up to Thor much more on video than in theaters. It's flawed, but when it worked it worked brilliantly. The Earth scenes and forced comedy were feeble, and the obligatory Avengers shoe-in was annoying, but everything on Asgard was perfection.

Captain America and Iron Man were pretty much top-of-the-line superhero movies.

Deftones
04-28-12, 06:04 PM
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Iron Man 2
Captain America

Solid Snake
04-28-12, 06:12 PM
Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

in terms of quality:
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

conscience
04-28-12, 06:18 PM
I have a soft spot for Thor, but Iron Man is my pick.

Iron Man
Thor
-
Captain America
The Incredible Hulk
-
Iron Man 2 (how did Justin Theroux get the gig writing this?)

arminius
04-28-12, 06:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thor
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk
Captain America

It just looks right.

PenguinJoe
04-28-12, 06:19 PM
Captain America sucked. I mean first half of the movie was alright but then it took a really dumb turn somewhere. So dumb I don't even remember what the rest was about besides there was some cube or something and a plane crashing.

Thor was okay but not great.

Mondo Kane
04-28-12, 06:24 PM
IM
Thor
Hulk
IM2
Cap

I've thought they were all decent so far but I didn't care that much for Captain America. It felt like a throw away movie that was about hyping The Avengers more than anything to me. Iron Man is probably the funnest to watch for me and it's got the most replay value I think. Thor surprised me with how much I liked it though.

I have the same feelings for Cap (The bonds tour/montage was the only thing I loved most about it)

Your list is just about the way I'd rank 'em too, but I'd switch IM2 with Hulk.

asianxcore
04-28-12, 07:02 PM
Iron Man

musick
04-28-12, 07:19 PM
voted Thor ... was surprised by how much I enjoyed that one

in order

Thor
Iron Man
Iron Man 2

Captain America
Incredible Hulk

CA and IH are a major distance from the top 3 in terms of quality

Chadm
04-28-12, 07:28 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hated Iron Man 2.

Solid Snake
04-28-12, 07:30 PM
I don't hate IM2, I hate Project X, RE: Apocalypse, and Ultraviolet. It's not horrible. It's not great either. It's merely alright at the most.

RagingBull80
04-28-12, 07:51 PM
I would put Iron Man and Captain America about even.

Iron Man 2 is somewhere in the middle. Thor is a little lower. And at the bottom I'd put Incredible Hulk.

PenguinJoe
04-28-12, 08:05 PM
From what I understand IM2 was a rush job from Marvel. I wish they woulda waited for a better story which is why I have high hopes for TDKR it wasn't rushed out to sell toys/video games/t-shirts.

TheMovieman
04-28-12, 08:17 PM
1. Iron Man
2. The Incredible Hulk

Captain America and Thor - Didn't really love either.

JesseCuster
04-28-12, 08:36 PM
I would rank Iron Man, Captain America and Thor about equal. They're all very different but have a ton of qualities that stack up well. I think Iron Man 2 is a pretty darn good film. It's a bit more serious and delves into Stark's self-desctructive side a bit, which is very cool. And anything with Sam Rockwell in it can't be all bad.

I didn't care for Hulk. I just didn't feel it. It's also a bit of an orphan with Norton wimping out, though I think Ruffalo is finally better and certainly more enthusiastic.

bluetoast
04-28-12, 08:38 PM
1.Iron Man
2.Captain America/Thor (might give the edge to the former)
3.The Incredible Hulk
4.Iron Man 2

starman9000
04-28-12, 09:19 PM
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
I. Hulk
IM 2

But they are all pretty close and depend on who has the part more than story. As far as casting, I'd rank them:
Thor
Iron Man
Hulk
Captain America

Michael Corvin
04-28-12, 09:43 PM
Only seen two of them so far, Iron Man & Incredible Hulk. Iron Man was above average and IH... let's see. I don't know which is the worse insult... the fact that Hulk (Lee's) is memorable for being so shitty or Incredible Hulk being completely forgettable.

Pizza
04-28-12, 10:28 PM
I voted for Iron Man but I liked them all a lot. Good fun. And I even loved the shoe-horning of the Avengers in them. I never thought I'd see big budget movies on these, especially The Avengers. Can't wait!

Supermallet
04-28-12, 11:07 PM
Part of me really dislikes referring to these movie as "Avengers prequels." They're all solid movies in their own right. Yes, even Iron Man 2.

I'd probably rank them as:
Captain America
Iron Man 2
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man

I think all of them are good, but Iron Man has a weak first and third act. The second act is better than anything in Iron Man 2, but a second act does not a great movie make.

JumpCutz
04-28-12, 11:46 PM
Thor
Iron Man 2
Captain America
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk

PhantomStranger
04-28-12, 11:51 PM
Iron Man 2 is a bad sequel that broke the trend of great superhero movies getting better sequels. It did not feel much like a superhero movie than a bad summer flick.

My Other Self
04-28-12, 11:55 PM
Even though there's a lot of hate for Iron Man 2, I love it. I need to re-watch Thor and Captain America. I haven't seen them since last year. So for now IM2.

Matthew Chmiel
04-29-12, 12:51 AM
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Thor
The Incredible Hulk

The Bus
04-29-12, 02:16 AM
Iron Man
Captain America

The others, I am honestly not sure about.

Charlie Goose
04-29-12, 05:00 AM
Captain America

Iron Man - It's probably the better movie, but I prefer Cap.

The Incredible Hulk

Thor

Iron Man 2 - The only one in this group that I didn't like at all.

JimRochester
04-29-12, 08:57 AM
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
IM2
Incredible Hulk

Although I will admit it has been a very long time since I've seen Hulk

JimRochester
04-29-12, 09:00 AM
Regal Cinemas is having a movie marathon day. $35 and every movie is played back to back until the midnight showing of Avengers. All you need is a steel ass and a bladder the size of a swimming pool. Maybe if they brought in an elyptical or something? That is a whole lot of movie watching.

wishbone
04-29-12, 09:08 AM
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 2

I have not seen the Incredible Hulk.

Dr. DVD
04-29-12, 09:34 AM
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 2

I have not seen the Incredible Hulk.

I just did a marathon over the past two weekends of the lead-in movies and left out that one and haven't seen it all the way through since the theater. Since they changed actors, it won't really gel as well into the mix. Also, of all the characters, Hulk doesn't really need much of an explanation. Hulk smash!

OldBoy
04-29-12, 10:52 AM
fighting a cold, last night i did:
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Iron Man 2
Iron Man

in that order and IM still my fav.

Mike86
04-29-12, 11:36 AM
I'm sorta surprised a lot of people seem to dislike The Incredible Hulk so much. I didn't think it was that bad really. It just isn't as memorable as the others to me but I liked it overall. Much better than the Ang Lee shitfest. I think that if some of the scenes from Norton's version were left in the film it may have been slightly better.

bluetoast
04-29-12, 11:37 AM
I didn't dislike it, but I just felt that the others were better. Iron Man 2 would be a distant last for me.

Dr. DVD
04-29-12, 12:19 PM
FWIW, I didn't find Iron Man 2 to be bad, just disappointing compared to the first one. My gripe, as I have said other times, was that it seemed more interested in laying Avengers groundwork than telling an Iron Man story.

whoopdido
04-29-12, 12:51 PM
I thought Captain America sucked. I didn't even watch Iron Man 2. I liked Iron Man, but not enough to sit through a sequel. Hulk was decent. I voted for Thor. I really enjoyed that one.

I'm not a fan of superhero movies. I think there are way too many of them and I hope there aren't as many in the future. Hopefully The Avengers and the inevitable Avengers 2 signal the end of the trend. However, I really enjoyed Thor...I thought I would hate it, but I thought it was very good. The big dude was great and I always like Natalie Portman.

Solid Snake
04-29-12, 01:00 PM
Funny. I think we had way too many fucking westerns in the same amount of years we've had superheroes since Blade to now. The number is still too low to be too many. They're just bigger than the westerns.

Also...Thor is so unbalanced. I FUCKING LOVE the Asgard moments. Midgard was weak as fuck and generic for the most part. Very little of great quality in it. Asgard is where it's at.

freshticles
04-29-12, 01:04 PM
Thor
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 2

PenguinJoe
04-29-12, 01:52 PM
And anything with Sam Rockwell in it can't be all bad.

ugh, Charlie's Angels and Gentlemen Broncos.

FYI, Gentlemen Broncos is one of the few non horror movies that made me feel nauseous.

Jules Winfield
04-29-12, 01:56 PM
Captain America
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor

After Captain America ended, I wanted more. Or maybe it was because after the lifeless Thor, I was worried for it. Glad I worried for nothing.

Shannon Nutt
04-29-12, 01:59 PM
Iron Man
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 2

GoldenJCJ
04-29-12, 02:55 PM
I'm not a fan of superhero movies. I think there are way too many of them and I hope there aren't as many in the future. Hopefully The Avengers and the inevitable Avengers 2 signal the end of the trend.
I remember reading that Chris Evans signed a 6 picture deal for 3 Captain America flicks and 3 Avengers flicks. Those plus Iron Man 3 which is already on development, and the rumored Thor 2 means we have awhile before the trend is over.

bluetoast
04-29-12, 03:10 PM
Plus we have Spider-Man, TDKR, Superman, inevitable Batman reboot, and sequels to the other two, and probably more Marvel properties, more X-Men, etc.

Jam Master Jay
04-29-12, 03:18 PM
Iron Man
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 2

This is exactly how I ranked them as well.

The Bus
04-29-12, 03:40 PM
I remember reading that Chris Evans signed a 6 picture deal for 3 Captain America flicks and 3 Avengers flicks. Those plus Iron Man 3 which is already on development, and the rumored Thor 2 means we have awhile before the trend is over.

Yup. These are optional currently but I'm sure will be set in stone three days after the Avengers release.

I would expect a trilogy out of all of them, except for maybe The Hulk.

PenguinJoe
04-29-12, 03:41 PM
I hope WB doesn't rush out a Batman reboot the way WB did with Spider-Man. I mean give it a good six or seven years before you piss away Nolan's good doings.

PenguinJoe
04-29-12, 03:43 PM
I may be in the minority when I say this but I actually liked Ang Lee's Hulk and I prefer Bana over Norton as Bruce Banner.

Dr. DVD
04-29-12, 03:59 PM
I'm not a fan of superhero movies. I think there are way too many of them and I hope there aren't as many in the future. Hopefully The Avengers and the inevitable Avengers 2 signal the end of the trend. However, I really enjoyed Thor...I thought I would hate it, but I thought it was very good. The big dude was great and I always like Natalie Portman.

If the "tracking numbers" (which seldom indicate anything accurately) hold, don't look for Avengers or TDKR to end this trend.

Mike86
04-29-12, 04:20 PM
I hope WB doesn't rush out a Batman reboot the way WB did with Spider-Man. I mean give it a good six or seven years before you piss away Nolan's good doings.
Yeah I somehow doubt they'll wait more than a couple years though. Batman is hot right now so they'll try to bank off it as long as possible.

Ky-Fi
04-29-12, 04:39 PM
I'd probably put Thor and Captain America at the top of my list, although I liked all of them.

I'm another one that really liked Ang Lee's Hulk. From reading the comics as a kid, some of the Hulk scenes at the desert base really captured the feel of the comics in my mind.

Dr. DVD
04-29-12, 05:08 PM
^ FWIW, Lee's Hulk was quite faithful to the Hulk comic series of the time it was made. Very moody and dark with little humor.

GoldenJCJ
04-29-12, 06:35 PM
I would expect a trilogy out of all of them, except for maybe The Hulk.
Which is too bad because (as I voted earlier in this thread) The Incredible Hulk has been my favorite so far.

Maybe Ruffalo's Hulk will be such a crowd pleaser they'll give him his own movie.:fc:

kgrogers1979
04-29-12, 06:39 PM
I'm not a fan of superhero movies.

So then why come into a thread devoted to superhero movies only to threadcrap?

whoopdido
04-29-12, 06:47 PM
So then why come into a thread devoted to superhero movies only to threadcrap?

To vote and say that I liked Thor even though I'm usually not a fan of superhero movies. What was difficult to understand?

Nick Martin
04-29-12, 06:57 PM
-
Iron Man 2 (how did Justin Theroux get the gig writing this?)

Because he and Robert Downey, Jr made a little movie together (the same year the first Iron Man came out) which featured:

http://images.hollywood.com/cms/300x375/5241015.jpg

Justin Theroux co-wrote Tropic Thunder.

fumanstan
04-29-12, 07:01 PM
I'm not a fan of superhero movies. I think there are way too many of them and I hope there aren't as many in the future. Hopefully The Avengers and the inevitable Avengers 2 signal the end of the trend.

I can't see how anyone would actually think those would signal the end.

whoopdido
04-29-12, 07:07 PM
I can't see how anyone would actually think those would signal the end.

I didn't say I think they will. I said I hope they will.

fumanstan
04-29-12, 07:12 PM
I didn't say I think they will. I said I hope they will.

I guess i'd figure people would hope for something that is closer to the realm of possibility :)

kgrogers1979
04-29-12, 07:47 PM
To vote and say that I liked Thor even though I'm usually not a fan of superhero movies. What was difficult to understand?

Because you called the superhero/comic book genre a bad trend and hoped for it to end. That's threadcrapping.

whoopdido
04-29-12, 07:56 PM
Because you called the superhero/comic book genre a bad trend and hoped for it to end. That's threadcrapping.

When did I call it a bad genre? I said I'm not a fan, which is just personal opinion and I thought there were too many of them. I then said that hopefully there won't be as many in the future. I'm hoping that the Avengers 2 will signal the end of multiple superhero movies every single year. I never said anything negative about the genre or ripped on anybody that likes the movies. I just said I'm not a fan and that there are too many of them.

Reading comprehension is an important skill pal.

kgrogers1979
04-29-12, 08:02 PM
You said you personally don't like the genre and wish there were fewer. Well what about people that love them and want even more? That's crapping all over those people that can't get enough of it. What if I said I wasn't a fan of your own personal favorite genre and said I wish there were fewer. It wouldn't be so funny if the tables were turned now would it.

And logic is just an important skill as reading comprehension. The Avengers has been getting nothing but glowing reviews. None of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies have done poorly, and Avengers is said to easily top them all. So if you think (or hope) the genre is going to end anytime soon, you are delusional.

Dr. DVD
04-29-12, 08:04 PM
^ Oh geez. Grow up and let it slide.

kgrogers1979
04-29-12, 08:11 PM
Grow up

Make me!

I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys R Us kid.

And anyway, I would say that the far more logical thing is that there are likely to be more superhero movies in the future, not less. If anything DC is probably going to want their own share of the pie and start their own cinematic universe within the next few years. So really its all just barely begun...

whoopdido
04-29-12, 08:55 PM
Superhero movies suck and everybody that likes them are morons.

Now THAT was a threadcap. See the difference?

whotony
04-29-12, 09:36 PM
I dont know why some one would want a genre of movies to stop when they are obviously successful.
Besides that, even if someone doesn't care for it many people do so why wish for something to go away that so many enjoy?

My order is

Thor
Iron Man
Hulk
Cap
Iran Man II

What's the proper viewing order in terms of a timeline if there's one?

Mike86
04-29-12, 09:58 PM
Isn't it just the order they came out in? Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America.

Matthew Chmiel
04-29-12, 10:10 PM
^ FWIW, Lee's Hulk was quite faithful to the Hulk comic series of the time it was made. Very moody and dark with little humor.
Lee's film took a lot of chances, but failed at almost every single one.

Leterrier's film is lifeless and sucks just as much.

In that regard, I respect Lee's more only due to the fact he tried to make something different rather than your generic, by-the-numbers superhero film.

Marvel needs to remove the franchise from Universal and develop a Hulk film in-house. Based upon early reviews, Whedon does justice to the character. If that's any indication, allow Whedon to have some involvement (writer or producer) on a new Hulk entry.

Solid Snake
04-29-12, 11:23 PM
It's been Marvel's since The Incredible Hulk. Universal just distributed because failed to make a sequel in whatever short as fuck time frame they had for it.

JumpCutz
04-30-12, 12:08 AM
Surprised to see Iron Man crushing the competition. I realize how popular it was at this site upon release, but as Supermallet pointed out... there are huge problems with the 1st and 3rd acts. It's certainly not head and shoulders above the other releases.

To be fair, none of the prequel films are great. :shrug:

davidh777
04-30-12, 01:06 AM
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

haven't seen Incredible Hulk

Part of me really dislikes referring to these movie as "Avengers prequels." They're all solid movies in their own right.

Agree

fumanstan
04-30-12, 01:47 AM
Surprised to see Iron Man crushing the competition. I realize how popular it was at this site upon release, but as Supermallet pointed out... there are huge problems with the 1st and 3rd acts. It's certainly not head and shoulders above the other releases.

To be fair, none of the prequel films are great. :shrug:

I can't imagine how it would be a surprise to anyone, given how acclaimed the movie was; not just on this site, but everywhere; and the highest rated of all the movies.

I re-watched it yesterday (attempting to rewatch all of them before Friday, probably not going to happen) and still found it immensely entertaining. I have some minor problems with the 3rd act, but none with the 1st at all and nothing that detracts from the film as a whole.

As a side note, it's interesting to see complaints about movies being just a setup for the Avengers. I don't really see any example of that in Captain America, given the movie proceeds pretty much the same way any origin story would have with or without the Avengers. Thor seems more apparent by putting in Hawkeye for really no particular gain, but even that's a fairly minor scene. Iron Man 2 might be the most guilty, depending on how you feel about the way Black Widow was introduced.

MrSmearkase
04-30-12, 11:30 AM

Iron Man 2 takes place 6 months after the events of the first Iron Man, while Thor and The Incredible Hulk occur sometime during the third act or so of Iron Man 2. Captain America takes place long before any of them, obviously, but ends following the events of the other movies.

iggystar
04-30-12, 12:43 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 2

Although all of them are pretty stellar for comic book/superhero movies, which I'm a complete whore for (I liked Catwoman). Also, my rankings are a bit biased based on how much I'm crushing on the lead actors too.

RocShemp
04-30-12, 12:51 PM
Iron Man 2 takes place 6 months after the events of the first Iron Man, while Thor and The Incredible Hulk occur sometime during the third act or so of Iron Man 2. Captain America takes place long before any of them, obviously, but ends following the events of the other movies.

Somewhere, I'm sure some fan is cutting a chronological cut of all the Avengers prequels.

Double_Oh_7
04-30-12, 01:21 PM
I gotta say, I really enjoyed Incredible Hulk. It was fun.

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 2

Dr. DVD
04-30-12, 04:39 PM
Just to clarify to the poster who objected to terming these as "prequels," I am just using the term in the most generic sense to mean they occurred before the Avengers movie. That's all! :)

musick
05-01-12, 07:50 PM
Which is too bad because (as I voted earlier in this thread) The Incredible Hulk has been my favorite so far.

Maybe Ruffalo's Hulk will be such a crowd pleaser they'll give him his own movie.:fc:

..... Earlier today I ran my interview with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. During the interview, I asked Feige what the status on the next Hulk movie is, and one of the key things he said was that Marvel has "many, many options" with Mark Ruffalo, who plays the character for the first time in The Avengers (which comes out this Friday). But what exactly is the contract that Ruffalo has with the studio? Apparently Collider has received that information.

While speaking with the site, Mark Ruffalo said that he has signed a six-picture deal that will see him playing the character many more times. This is a deal similar to what Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth and Samuel L. Jackson made when they signed on to play Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Nick Fury, respectively. Just yesterday there was much speculation about a sequel to 2008's The Incredible Hulk, as the character has been earning a great deal of word-of-mouth in foreign markets where The Avengers has already been released. It is still unknown if the Hulk will be getting his own solo movie again before The Avengers 2.

While it may seem silly, the number of movies that the actor is signed on for is important. The reason Jackson was able to appear in almost every Marvel movie thus far is that he initially signed a nine movie deal. Chris Evans, on the other hand, signed on for six movies, which will likely translate to three Avengers movies and three Captain America movies. But considering that Ruffalo has yet to play Bruce Banner/Hulk in his own solo movie, does that mean the character could cameo in Iron Man 3, Thor 2 or Captain America 2? I certainly wouldn't be against it.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mark-Ruffalo-Reveals-His-Contract-Length-With-Marvel-30711.html