DVD Talk
Is It Time To Let Moviegoers Send Texts During A Film? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is It Time To Let Moviegoers Send Texts During A Film?

RocShemp
04-26-12, 10:16 AM
Is It Time To Let Moviegoers Send Texts During A Film? (http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/is-it-time-to-let-movie-goers-send-texts-during-a-film-cinemacon/)

This is a subject that gets movie execs going based on the lively debate this morning at a panel about industry issues at the CinemaCon convention in Las Vegas. Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Jeff Blake kicked off the discussion saying that 20 years ago “kids would come every week” to the movies. But no more. “I’m concerned that the moviegoing experience isn’t just for baby boomers.” Regal Entertainment CEO Amy Miles says that her chain currently discourages cell phone use “but if we had a movie that appealed to a younger demographic, we could test some of these concepts.” For example, she says the chain talked about being more flexible about cell phone use at some screens that showed 21 Jump Street. “You’re trying to figure out if there’s something you can offer in the theater that I would not find appealing but my 18-year-old son” might. IMAX’s Greg Foster seemed to like the idea of relaxing the absolute ban on phone use in theaters. His 17-year-old son “constantly has his phone with him,” he says. “We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.” That set off Tim League, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse — a small chain that makes a point of throwing out customers who talk or text during a film. “Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater,” he says. “I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. … It’s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.” He says it should be “magical” to come to the cinema. But Miles shot back that “one person’s opinion of magical isn’t the other’s.”

Execs had other pet peeves. For example, Foster decries ads for TV shows in movie theaters. “My tentacles go up,” he says. “How is this possible?” Blake says that moviemakers face “a real challenge” overseas where theaters often mix ads with trailers. The trailer “is the lifeblood of producers and the marketing department” — and one of the top three reasons why people go to the movies. “It’s so important to play those trailers properly, lights down at showtime.” League, whose chain serves meals, also said that there’s “kickback” among consumers on concession pricing — especially the core staples. “Those prices do seem high to me,” he says. “You can get a pint of beer for less than it costs to buy a large soda.”

It's a good thing I rarely go to the movies (have been waiting to rent more and more over time). Although bans on phone convos and texting during a movie are hardly ever enforced, saying it's okay would just encourage even more douchebags to go to a movie to chat with their friends over the phone.

Dan
04-26-12, 10:23 AM
If there were a local theatre that actively enforced the "no texting, talking, etc." rules, I'd go there exclusively. The problem is, all of the theatres have these "rules" but not a single one in my city is actually willing to kick people out for doing it.

Officially saying "it's okay" is a bad move.

But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence
THAT is the fucking problem.

Jaymole
04-26-12, 10:27 AM
No!

trespoochies
04-26-12, 10:27 AM
FUCK. NO. That's the saving grace of a Drafthouse, they enfore that shit big time. Most moviegoers there also call out idiots who do that during a movie as well. They want to know why kids don't come? Look at the damn ticket prices. Giving them an incentive like this isn't going to bring them in like they think.

islandclaws
04-26-12, 10:30 AM
Wonderful idea, Jeff Blake. I can hardly sit down after the ass raping I get paying $19 for an IMAX ticket, now I can deal with your shithead kid texting because he has no attention span?

Fuck you.

macontosh2000
04-26-12, 10:32 AM
No!

riotinmyskull
04-26-12, 10:34 AM
:suicide:

resinrats
04-26-12, 10:43 AM
I want those cell phone signal blockers installed in everytheater. Just put a sign outside saying they are in place. The world survived without cell phones thousands of years. I think they can do without them for a couple of hours.

Double_Oh_7
04-26-12, 10:51 AM
:shrug: Not sure what the outrage about texting is. Yeah, talking on the phone is rude. But how does someone silently texting ruin your moviegoing experience?

Rob V
04-26-12, 10:54 AM
:shrug: Not sure what the outrage about texting is. Yeah, talking on the phone is rude. But how does someone silently texting ruin your moviegoing experience?

It's the text back with the annoying Nicky Minaj song that goes off and you can't tell me seeing some screen light up out of the corner of your eye isn't distracting.

resinrats
04-26-12, 10:54 AM

The bright screens in a dark theater. Also, some people have their phones set to have little clicks/beeps when a button is pushed.

kefrank
04-26-12, 10:55 AM
My immediate reaction is "no, please no!" I believe strongly that as a general policy, theaters should not relax the limitations on cell phone use in any way.

On the other hand, if a theater wants to have a special showing for teenagers where cell-phones are allowed and they scroll live tweets across the screen or whatever, in order to cater to youngsters and make more money, I wouldn't raise any serious objections.

There's a local theater chain nearby that does showings for moms on some Wednesday evenings where moms are allowed to bring their infants. I think that's a pretty cool thing, because it allows moms to get out and see a movie, but it also means I don't have to ever deal with crying babies at a regular show there.

mmconhea
04-26-12, 10:58 AM
I want those cell phone signal blockers installed in everytheater. Just put a sign outside saying they are in place. The world survived without cell phones thousands of years. I think they can do without them for a couple of hours.

Yes, because blocking all transmissions in a frequency range so surgeons on call, police, fireman, parents with kids being babysat at home, can all sit for 2 hours without those pesky interruption from people in need of desperate help. Wonderful, well-thought-out, idea.

sauce07
04-26-12, 10:59 AM

Because cell phones are bright, especially in a dark theater.

Texting wouldn't be as big of a deal if people followed a two simple rules, turn the brightness all the way down and keep the phone low and close to your body. I know this isn't ideal but texting isn't going away, and very few theaters actually enforce their rules.

JumpCutz
04-26-12, 11:05 AM
“We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.

-ohbfrank- Unbelievable.

This kind of comment makes my blood boil.

Fuck you and your entitled spawn.

JumpCutz
04-26-12, 11:07 AM

Not meaning to pile on, but....really? :lol:

Anubis2005X
04-26-12, 11:12 AM
"That set off Tim League, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse — a small chain that makes a point of throwing out customers who talk or text during a film. “Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater,” he says. “I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. … It’s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.” He says it should be “magical” to come to the cinema. "

God bless this man!!!

Dan
04-26-12, 11:16 AM
Yes, because blocking all transmissions in a frequency range so surgeons on call, police, fireman, parents with kids being babysat at home, can all sit for 2 hours without those pesky interruption from people in need of desperate help. Wonderful, well-thought-out, idea.

Please.
If the theatre clearly states "your cell phone will NOT have a signal during the feature presentation," then those who have a problem with it can go elsewhere.

RocShemp
04-26-12, 11:16 AM

If anyone falls under the categories you've just listed, the answer is simple: stay away from the movie theater. Or, as kefrank suggested, there should be special screening rooms just for those who need to be on call or simply want to play with their phones nonstop.

DRG
04-26-12, 11:27 AM
The only way I could see this maybe work is if they made the back 5 or so rows 'text zones' so nobody else would have to see them. They would still have to deal with the sound issues, though.

Dan
04-26-12, 11:33 AM
^ glass wall to separate the heathens.

Matthew Chmiel
04-26-12, 11:43 AM
If one's tortured, you're not at control of your existence. So what I'm going to suggest is a very simple idea:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Saloposter.jpg

If that doesn't work, there's always a suggestion regarding Battle Royale.

If you pull out a cell phone during an IMAX presentation I paid $17 ($4 after MoviePass ;)) for, be prepared to have me grab said phone and shove it directly up your asshole. If you can't live without your phone for two measly hours, you should just go kill yourself because your contributions to society are going to be practically worthless.

There's also another group of individuals other than teenagers that chat and text during a film, but I'm not here to start a race war today. :) In fact, one of those individuals got arrested during The Dictator at CinemaCon on Monday night for trying to record said film despite warnings not to record and the fact security with guns were surrounding the place.

islandclaws
04-26-12, 11:45 AM
The only way I could see this maybe work is if they made the back 5 or so rows 'text zones' so nobody else would have to see them. They would still have to deal with the sound issues, though.

Fuck no. I sit up top specifically to avoid having assholes both in front of and behind me.

RocShemp
04-26-12, 11:48 AM
Once again, what kefrank suggested is the best option. Seperate showings and/or screening rooms is the best bet. For once, segregation actually is the right answer.

Sonny Corinthos
04-26-12, 11:59 AM
Yes, because blocking all transmissions in a frequency range so surgeons on call, police, fireman, parents with kids being babysat at home, can all sit for 2 hours without those pesky interruption from people in need of desperate help. Wonderful, well-thought-out, idea. You do realize there was a time a place where cell phones didn't exist and the world went right on spinning? If a person is on call, do like they did in the old days and keep their ass at home. They don't have to ruin the movie going experience for the rest of us.

LiquidSky
04-26-12, 12:15 PM
No!

mhg83
04-26-12, 12:30 PM
I seriously am considering buying my own cell phone jammer and bringing It to the movies with me.

Pointyskull
04-26-12, 12:36 PM
Outside of Tim League's wonderfully perfect take action stance on the matter I haven't been to one theater that enforces it.

That "controlling their own existence" perspective is pure bullshit. If others are texting in a theater - and distracting me - how do I get to control my own existence?

Pointyskull
04-26-12, 12:37 PM
I seriously am considering buying my own cell phone jammer and bringing It to the movies with me.

:thumbsup:

gp1086
04-26-12, 12:47 PM
Not sure what this means to me. My first thought is that I won't visit any of the theaters that allow texting. But then I think about it and figure that if Regal adopts this policy, so will AMC. Where I live in NYC, Regal and AMC are more or less the only bet if you want to see a wide release blockbuster. This is the case in probably quite a few other places. I would much rather go to an Alamo Drafthouse or Arclight, but it's not available (personally I think an Alamo Drafthouse would do a KILLING here, but that's besides the point). Ultimately, I would probably just wind up sucking it up and still going since I enjoy watching movies in the theater so much.

Obey The D
04-26-12, 12:56 PM
I would much rather go to an Alamo Drafthouse or Arclight, but it's not available (personally I think an Alamo Drafthouse would do a KILLING here, but that's besides the point). Ultimately, I would probably just wind up sucking it up and still going since I enjoy watching movies in the theater so much.

Alamo is scheduled to open a theater on the upper west side in 2013.

gp1086
04-26-12, 01:03 PM
Alamo is scheduled to open a theater on the upper west side in 2013.
You just made my day. :)

Upper West Side is not that convenient for me, but I will gladly support them.

superdeluxe
04-26-12, 01:08 PM

They have that annoying backlit screen glow, if they are behind you fine, but if they are to the side and in front of you..holy annoying.

Meglos
04-26-12, 01:21 PM
fuck no. I sit up top specifically to avoid having assholes both in front of and behind me.

this. Fucking this.

davidh777
04-26-12, 01:26 PM
I'm fine with people texting if they're sitting in a dedicated "crying room" in the back of the theater completely separated from the regular audience with the sound piped into their room from a drive-in-quality speaker.

I think I was at Harry Potter 7.1 when the douche a couple seats away from me kept texting. I flicked my hand angrily at him in front of his friend, who told him to stop. Then last week at Titanic, some moron a couple rows forward was texting at the beginning, but fortunately she stopped. :johnwoo2:

Meglos
04-26-12, 01:27 PM

It's like this - you're sitting there, enjoying the movie. Then somebody a few rows ahead of you pulls out their iEntitlementGadget, opens it up to text/sext/tweet/check the time/play Angry Badgers, etc.

It may not make any noise, but the light from it might as well be shouting, "Look at me! HEY! Everybody! Look over here!"

devilshalo
04-26-12, 01:32 PM
If others are texting in a theater - and distracting me - how do I get to control my own existence?

By standing up and shouting, TURN YOUR FUCKING PHONE OFF, ASSHOLE, OR I WILL TURN IT OFF FOR YOU!

Meglos
04-26-12, 01:34 PM
By standing up and shouting, TURN YOUR FUCKING PHONE OFF, ASSHOLE, OR I WILL TURN IT OFF FOR YOU!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Meglos likes this post.

RocShemp
04-26-12, 01:36 PM
When did DVDtalk become FaceBook? :confused:

Hokeyboy
04-26-12, 01:47 PM
I'll never forget when I went to go see V For Vendetta a few years back. Some rancid **** sitting two seats down from me decided to take notes on the movie. I don't know if it was for a class, for a review, or for whatever. But she brought a LIGHT-UP PEN that would illuminate every time she wrote into her notepad. Beyond annoying.

To her credit, a firm (but polite) "Excuse me, that's REAL annoying" from me caused her to apologize and turn off the illumination on her pen. But I just can't imagine anyone going into a crowded, darkened theater and thinking that was a GOOD idea. And she was beyond old enough to know better.

Ash Ketchum
04-26-12, 01:48 PM

I have back pain, so I sit in the back row of most multiplex theaters because it's the only row with seats that don't bend back all the way. So, no, not a good idea--I don't want texters around me.

Meglos
04-26-12, 02:16 PM
When did DVDtalk become FaceBook? :confused:

Unfriended! :grunt:

Pizza
04-26-12, 02:33 PM

There's this place called the lobby. They can all politely get up and check for messages there.

I'll never forget when I went to go see V For Vendetta a few years back. Some rancid **** sitting two seats down from me decided to take notes on the movie. I don't know if it was for a class, for a review, or for whatever. But she brought a LIGHT-UP PEN that would illuminate every time she wrote into her notepad. Beyond annoying.

To her credit, a firm (but polite) "Excuse me, that's REAL annoying" from me caused her to apologize and turn off the illumination on her pen. But I just can't imagine anyone going into a crowded, darkened theater and thinking that was a GOOD idea. And she was beyond old enough to know better.

If that was a normal screening then that blows. If it was an advance screening where the tickets are given out for free then they were probably a film critic.

RocShemp
04-26-12, 02:37 PM
Unfriended! :grunt:

Why does everything I offend unfriend me? :(

SethDLH
04-26-12, 02:42 PM
I want to open a theater like Alamo Drafthouse so bad. The first time I got to kick someone out for this shit would bring me so much happiness. It's obnoxious to see the bright screen, hear the clicking/beeps of the text being entered and then the fucking ringtone when they get a response. It's a movie theater, not a fucking phonebooth. I didn't spend $10-12 to hope to be able to find out about what Sally and Jimmy did under the bleachers during science class. No texting. No phone calls.

Tom Creo
04-26-12, 02:52 PM
Man, listen to all you whiney bitches.:lol:

You know damn well you internet tough guys ain't gonna do shit when you go see the Avengers next week and someone is texting. You're just gonna sigh and bitch loudly and do some exagerated(sp) hand gestures. The only one I feel sorry for is your significant others because they are gonna get the brunt of all your fury. Shove a cell phone up someone's ass? Please. Stand up and yell F bombs? I'm sure. If it's any type of minority texting you'll just shut the fuck up and continue watching Hulk bust some shit up. Good conversation but please stop with all the "Imma do this" shit.

Oh, BTW, "Rancid ****" for some girl who politely apologized for her ignorance? Damn.

I hate the texting as much as the next guy. It's one of the main reasons why I cut my moviegoing to about a quarter of what it was maybe just three years ago. With the shorter window from theater to home viewing, it's makes more sense to forego a night at the movies.

argh923
04-26-12, 03:06 PM
It's like this - you're sitting there, enjoying the movie. Then somebody a few rows ahead of you pulls out their iEntitlementGadget, opens it up to text/sext/tweet/check the time/play Angry Badgers, etc.

It may not make any noise, but the light from it might as well be shouting, "Look at me! HEY! Everybody! Look over here!"

Where can I play Angry Badgers? That sounds fun...

devilshalo
04-26-12, 03:32 PM
You know damn well you internet tough guys ain't gonna do shit when you go see the Avengers next week and someone is texting. You're just gonna sigh and bitch loudly and do some exagerated(sp) hand gestures. The only one I feel sorry for is your significant others because they are gonna get the brunt of all your fury. Shove a cell phone up someone's ass? Please. Stand up and yell F bombs? I'm sure. If it's any type of minority texting you'll just shut the fuck up and continue watching Hulk bust some shit up. Good conversation but please stop with all the "Imma do this" shit.
I've done it to anyone that continues to text or talk or can't control their kids.. there's a reason you see this in front of the feature film. Fail to comply and I go grab the manager and/or I get my tickets refunded.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z77n50nbOfY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z77n50nbOfY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Meglos
04-26-12, 03:37 PM

I hate the texting as much as the next guy. It's one of the main reasons why I cut my moviegoing to about a quarter of what it was maybe just three years ago. With the shorter window from theater to home viewing, it's makes more sense to forego a night at the movies.

Wuss. -ptth-

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-26-12, 03:42 PM
I think signal blocking is nonsense. I don't text during movies, but I am on call for my job and I do have small children at home. Just because other people are heathens doesn't mean that I can't politely check a text on my proplerly silenced phone, in my lap, on low brightness, outside of the view of the people behind me.

I don't text back, and if it's something important, I will get up and leave the theater before I do anything else.

And I will be among the first to throw something at people who hold their phone up in front of their face to check a text during the film. ;)

clckworang
04-26-12, 03:56 PM
I think signal blocking is nonsense. I don't text during movies, but I am on call for my job and I do have small children at home. Just because other people are heathens doesn't mean that I can't politely check a text on my proplerly silenced phone, in my lap, on low brightness, outside of the view of the people behind me.

I don't text back, and if it's something important, I will get up and leave the theater before I do anything else.

And I will be among the first to throw something at people who hold their phone up in front of their face to check a text during the film. ;)

I basically agree with this. I have never written a text during a movie, but I know I've checked the time on my phone before. It's always done quickly with the phone in my lap, often with it wrapped in the jacket I usually bring with me, on low brightness and with me trying to point it down so it wouldn't needlessly distract someone. It goes without saying that it's also on quiet and that I would never talk on my phone during a movie.

But I guess it doesn't matter anyway. At this point, I only go see a movie at the theater a couple times a year.

Cabman Gray
04-26-12, 04:33 PM
Wonderful idea, Jeff Blake. I can hardly sit down after the ass raping I get paying $19 for an IMAX ticket, now I can deal with your shithead kid texting because he has no attention span?

Fuck you.

Don't forget those shitheads Amy Miles and Greg Foster. Fuck everybody who thinks allowing people to text during a movie is acceptable.

Cabman Gray
04-26-12, 04:36 PM

Tell us: How did surgeons on call, police, firemen, and parents with kids being babysat at home handle these things before the cell phone came along?

Mabuse
04-26-12, 04:38 PM
It drives me bat shit crazy how much the marketplace is directed toward what kids want. Fuck kids. When I was a kid nobody gave a flying shit what I thought about anything. Why are a bunch of grown adults sitting around trying to think of ways to make the theater more acceptable to a bunch of fucking retarded teenagers? Why don't they focus on the bigger problem: Why do only teens go to movies anymore? Maybe it has something to do with the environment these theater owners are providing?

cpgator
04-26-12, 04:47 PM
Tell us: How did surgeons on call, police, firemen, and parents with kids being babysat at home handle these things before the cell phone came along?

Pagers?

Bob_Bobbson
04-26-12, 05:24 PM

I'm on call every weeknight and every other weekend for my job.

Do you know what I do when I'm on call? I don't go to a movie.

Hokeyboy
04-26-12, 06:23 PM
If that was a normal screening then that blows. If it was an advance screening where the tickets are given out for free then they were probably a film critic.
Normal screening. Actually it was at the Premiere, where you pay $10 above ticket price for reserved seats, private balcony area, etc. so usually when you go there you are doing so to avoid obnoxious riff-raff. Surprise!

Hokeyboy
04-26-12, 06:27 PM
If it's any type of minority texting...
Classy. :rolleyes:

Self-aggrandizing above-it-all'ism FTW...

Deftones
04-26-12, 06:31 PM
In response to the OP's question, hell to the fucking no!

Jon2
04-26-12, 07:27 PM
I wonder if it occurred to the theater people who came up with this idea that this might actually have a reverse effect?

I have a sneaking suspicion that not a one of these business geniuses considered the notion that an increase of in-theater texting might cause some people to stop going to movies.

I most certainly would, and I believe a lot of others would also.

Or better yet, if I start noticing an increase in texting maybe I will demand my money back after the movie, claiming (rightfully so) that I didn't enjoy the movie because of all the distracting texting.

As for the generation into "controlling their own existence", how much control do these people have when most of them are still living in (or moved back with their kids into) mom and dad's house?

Here's a news flash for movie theater policy makers, the population is aging. Each year there are more older people and fewer younger people. Guess what the long term implication is for your bottom line if you keep catering to the younger crowd and alienating older patrons?

Jon2
04-26-12, 07:31 PM

You, sir, are a true gentleman and should be given the highest commendation that a movie goer could receive. If I had a hat, it would be off to you. :bow:

My Other Self
04-26-12, 07:32 PM
If the theater chains never want me to go to the movies again, then this is a great idea.

My biggest beef with going to the movies nowadays is people texting. I always sit on the top row if I can, but then you get full view of tons of little bright screens in the middle of the movie.

It's sad to say that I still remember going to the movies before cell phones were more mainstream. The only warning before the movie starting was no talking. :lol:

Jon2
04-26-12, 07:43 PM
Where can I play Angry Badgers? That sounds fun...

If you live in the mid-west to western U.S. or Canada, go find an undisturbed and treeless area of a prairie, mountain meadow, or scrub desert. Look for a tunnel entrance big enough for 40 lb. dog to enter. Yell into it, "Can Mr. Badger come out and play?"

When he does, odds are he'll be angry... and ready to play. :wave:

Hokeyboy
04-26-12, 07:54 PM
I was a kid of the 70s and 80s... my Dad was a surgeon and often on-call, but he would take us to movies almost every weekend. He had one of those ginormous beepers that looked like a vintage garage door opener. If it vibrated in a movie, he'd leave the theater, call it in, and if he had to leave, he left (we were usually old enough to call him afterward to have someone pick us up).

There was none of this interrupting people in the theater. That was UNHEARD OF back then. Distracting, unruly people were booted real fast.

People nowadays don't give a shit about other people. Not that they gave much a shit back then either, but there was at least common courtesy enough for people not to be obnoxious pricks just for the fuck of it.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go yell at a cloud...

bluetoast
04-26-12, 07:57 PM
I'm all for no cell phone usage at all during the movie. But even though Drafthouses are champions of this, they have food runners moving around the whole time and you talk to them, pay for meals etc. You get interrupted a couple times during the movie. Sure it's mostly by your choice, and you're paying for the atmosphere, but it's still a form of interruption. I haven't been to the Alamo, just a local one in the area.

EdTheRipper
04-26-12, 08:01 PM
I wonder if it occurred to the theater people who came up with this idea that this might actually have a reverse effect?

I have a sneaking suspicion that not a one of these business geniuses considered the notion that an increase of in-theater texting might cause some people to stop going to movies.

I most certainly would, and I believe a lot of others would also.

I'd definitely stop going. My wife and I actually sit down near the front so we don't have to deal with the bright lights from someone's phone.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-26-12, 08:03 PM

I'm on call 24-7, so I'm never allowed to go to a movie? Screw that. My job doesn't own me.

The Cow
04-26-12, 08:06 PM
I'm on call 24-7, so I'm never allowed to go to a movie? Screw that. My job doesn't own me.

If you are on call 24x7, then yeah, it kinda does own you.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-26-12, 08:13 PM

I don't get calls all the time. The point is, I'm not going to let it dictate what I can and can't do because I MIGHT get a call.

Jon2
04-26-12, 08:13 PM

Dang... you beat me to it. Deleted my reply.

And, yeah, I wouldn't say "kinda".

mndtrp
04-26-12, 08:41 PM

Do you check it in the theater, or do you step outside to check? If it's the first, fuck off. If it's the second, I have no problem with you going to the movies.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-26-12, 08:48 PM
Do you check it in the theater, or do you step outside to check? If it's the first, fuck off. If it's the second, I have no problem with you going to the movies.

I always keep it on vibrate. If it is a text, I will hold it low in my lap, on low brightness, with my hand cupping over the screen, where no one but me can see it, and take a quick glance at it. I don't see why this is a problem. If it is a call, or if the text looks like it is something that requires my attention, I get up and leave and call someone from the lobby.

EDIT: I should also add that I don't get any texts on this phone that arent work related, and I don't get those very often. I turn off my personal phone in the theater.

JumpCutz
04-26-12, 08:55 PM
I'm all for no cell phone usage at all during the movie. But even though Drafthouses are champions of this, they have food runners moving around the whole time and you talk to them, pay for meals etc. You get interrupted a couple times during the movie. Sure it's mostly by your choice, and you're paying for the atmosphere, but it's still a form of interruption. I haven't been to the Alamo, just a local one in the area.

Agreed. I absolutely loathe movie cell phone users/texters, but having people running around serving food and people chowing down all around you while watching a movie would be very distracting.

Popcorn munchers, soda slurpers and candy wrapper crinklers are bad enough. :sad:

For the record, I've never been to any of these drafthouses or places where you can order and dine while viewing a movie. But it sure sounds like a bad idea.

TomOpus
04-26-12, 09:04 PM
For the record, I've never been to any of these drafthouses or places where you can order and dine while viewing a movie. But it sure sounds like a bad idea.Haven't been to the Drafthouse but went to one out here a couple years ago. There's a full menu of real food and drinks you can order. You have a lighted button to press and the server shows up. It didn't seem too distracting, from what I remember. But then, you're kind of expecting it.

bluetoast
04-26-12, 09:13 PM
Yeah and I'm not necessarily knocking Drafthouses, since I have fun at them, it just seems funny in that they replace one kind of distraction with another.

Yeah the main reason I go to the local Drafthouse is for dollar movie nights, and a lot of the time it's for something I've already seen. I figure for that price I can watch the movie and order some beer and a meal with some friends.

It's not my first choice for first time viewing, since there are only a certain amount of seats that are unobstructed, but if you get good seats then it's acceptable. I loved it as a kid though, ordering food at the movies? Nice! I saw Mrs. Doubtfire there back in the day. It's a good venue for comedy shows as well.

Does the Alamo do first run movies as well or is it usually stuff from a month ago?

atxbomber
04-26-12, 09:28 PM
Agreed. I absolutely loathe movie cell phone users/texters, but having people running around serving food and people chowing down all around you while watching a movie would be very distracting.

Popcorn munchers, soda slurpers and candy wrapper crinklers are bad enough. :sad:

My wife and I saw Hunger Games in a Cinemark, and just the amount of foot traffic from people coming and going to the concession stand (and presumably the bathroom so they could "make room") was far more distracting than pretty much any Alamo trip I've ever made. At least the food runners at the Drafthouse generally make the effort to stay inconspicuous and out of your way -- unlike the majority of the movie going populace these days that seem more concerned with stuffing popcorn down their face's for 2 straight hours, or are so intent on sucking on that Mr. Pib like they're trying for the last drop's of water on Mars, that no one else gets to actually watch the movie.

JumpCutz
04-26-12, 09:58 PM
Yeah I don't get the correlation between watching movies and eating. My family and friends usually just go and watch the film. I can eat before or after the movie. Yet lots of people seemingly enjoy cramming huge amounts of food in their pie hole while watching a film. :shrug:

My Other Self
04-26-12, 10:01 PM
Yeah I don't get the correlation between watching movies and eating. My family and friends usually just go and watch the film. I can eat before or after the movie. Yet lots of people seemingly enjoy cramming huge amounts of food in their pie hole while watching a film. :shrug:At the General Cinema I went to growing up there was a Taco Bell Express. Now that was awesome. Prices were on par with regular Taco Bell, too, so no jacked up theater prices. It only lasted 5 years or so because a physical Taco Bell opened down the street. Since then I just stick to popcorn.

fumanstan
04-26-12, 10:31 PM
Once again, what kefrank suggested is the best option. Seperate showings and/or screening rooms is the best bet. For once, segregation actually is the right answer.

Agreed. I don't mind particular showings that cater to allowing texting. It might make the showings that specifically dis-allow it even better, or more strongly enforced.

fumanstan
04-26-12, 10:37 PM
Also, I think its somewhat funny that there are a few of you that said how you check texts or your phone privately without anyone noticing. I'm pretty sure many of those times there are people that notice.

My Other Self
04-26-12, 11:01 PM
Also, I think its somewhat funny that there are a few of you that said how you check texts or your phone privately without anyone noticing. I'm pretty sure many of those times there are people that notice.Yeah, there's no sneaky way to do it. Someone still sees it.

bluetoast
04-26-12, 11:05 PM
Which is why I'm surprised that a lot of phones still don't have vibration based alerts. If there is a way to make the vibration quiet, even better. But for example, you get two vibrations back to back, it's urgent, get the hell out. If it's one, it's some normal shit, keep it in your pants. Of course, there would have to be some system in place to determine what constitutes urgency, and whether that's on the end of the person sending the message or from a certain recipient/keywords that you get to filter on your end.

SethDLH
04-26-12, 11:14 PM

I've done it. It's not to be a tough guy, it's to enjoy my movie that I spent money on. It's about common courtesy. If they aren't there to watch the movie then they shouldn't be there. I essentially made a friend who is now one of my best friends because of yelling at irritating people during Rambo in the theater a few years ago.

Artman
04-26-12, 11:14 PM
I'd rather they text than talk... I've never had an issue with being distracted by a text.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-26-12, 11:25 PM
Also, I think its somewhat funny that there are a few of you that said how you check texts or your phone privately without anyone noticing. I'm pretty sure many of those times there are people that notice.

And you're going to notice if I get up and go to the lobby too. If it's nothing, and I come right back, that's probably more distracting IMO than me discreetly glancing at it for a couple of seconds.

fumanstan
04-27-12, 12:36 AM
And you're going to notice if I get up and go to the lobby too. If it's nothing, and I come right back, that's probably more distracting IMO than me discreetly glancing at it for a couple of seconds.

So its doubling annoying if you glance at a text, walk outside, and come back. :)

JumpCutz
04-27-12, 12:56 AM
I'd rather they text than talk... I've never had an issue with being distracted by a text.

Screen display lights going on and off all over the theater constantly when you're watching a movie isn't distracting?

inri222
04-27-12, 08:46 AM
Also, I think its somewhat funny that there are a few of you that said how you check texts or your phone privately without anyone noticing.

I also find this funny. I love how people always want to be the exception to the rule. "If I put the phone between my legs under my left testicle it will block the light thus preventing anyone from noticing it.......blah......blah......blah".

Just don't do it!!!!

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-27-12, 09:30 AM
^Obviously I'm not going to change your mind on the subject, and I didn't mean to imply that no one ever notices, or that I am somehow special, but all I'm trying to say is that I think there is a difference between quickly and discreetly checking a text and texting in the theater without regard for other patrons.

If you disagree, fine.

Ash Ketchum
04-27-12, 09:37 AM
I also find this funny. I love how people always want to be the exception to the rule. "If I put the phone between my legs under my left testicle it will block the light thus preventing anyone from noticing it.......blah......blah......blah".

Oops, there goes your sperm count! :D

Pizza
04-27-12, 10:02 AM
^Obviously I'm not going to change your mind on the subject, and I didn't mean to imply that no one ever notices, or that I am somehow special, but all I'm trying to say is that I think there is a difference between quickly and discreetly checking a text and texting in the theater without regard for other patrons.

If you disagree, fine.

I'll kindly disagree. I have no doubt you're more than polite about it. I wish more would be. I'm amazed how many don't take the time to lower the brightness and how many hold the phone up to their nose. If you quickly check it then it's certainly not a biggie to me. If you're quickly checking every ten minutes then I'd be annoyed. I feel we're swinging the discussion to extremes, from never checking a phone to endless texting. I think most rational people don't care as long as folks are being considerate and not acting like they're the only person in the theater.

Double_Oh_7
04-27-12, 11:53 AM

You mean brighter than the huge screen in front of you?? Sorry, I've never been upset by someone texting -- in fact I don't think I've ever even noticed it. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Matthew Chmiel
04-27-12, 11:54 AM
I'm as much of an asshole in real life that I am on here and I have no problems yelling at people to, "SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP." If that doesn't work, I'll get management and have their asses kicked right out of the theater. If you can't sit still and remain quiet for two hours, going to the movies is not the right venue for you.

If you're randomly yelled at, most people will usually just cower in fear, especially if you add the right amount of crazy. I think the best example was when there was a group of people talking a few rows down from us, but all of us in the theater could hear it during the trailers. My friend getting aggravated goes:

Friend: "Hey, can you please be quiet?"
Asshole: "Fuck you."
Friend: "OH, I WILL BE WHEN I COME DOWN THERE AND FUCK YOU IN THE ASS IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP."

The whole theater laughs at the exchange and now the group, embarrassed, doesn't say a single word throughout the film. Sometimes, you just have to teach people manners no manner how vulgar one has to be. It's not only common sense, but common courtesy as well.

SterlingBen
04-27-12, 11:56 AM
Where is that thread where people talk about portable cellphone jammers.

I think that is something I need to buy for when I go see the Avengers

Dan
04-27-12, 11:57 AM
If they aren't there to watch the movie then they shouldn't be there.
Truer words have never been spoken. :up:

Numanoid
04-27-12, 12:26 PM
Reading all of this reminds me how happy I am to have a decent home theater and why I never go out to see a movie anymore. I get theater rage just reading about some of the stories and attitudes.

Sondheim
04-27-12, 12:54 PM
I've been getting less and less patient with people who come to the theater to text and play games on their cell phones. I have an especially hard time with people who come and sit directly behind me and (loudly) whisper to each other throughout the film - I find it immensely irritating, and it's already happened during several of my trips to the theater this year.

Maybe this would all seem "old fashioned" to most people - maybe these types of things (openly texting, holding conversations, etc.) will be standard for all audiences in the future. To be fair, it's not just young people who are the problem - in my experience, older audiences are just as (if not more) likely to talk during a movie.

But, personally, I don't go to theater to see your texts or to hear your conversation. One of the reasons I sometimes enjoy going to the theater is because I really like the sensation of a bunch of people sitting there watching and enjoying the same thing - which is something that's hard to replicate even in the best and biggest home theaters - but now it seems like everyone wants to do their own thing and is off in their own little world, and the movie itself is only secondary.

I'm already going to theaters less and less, simply because I don't enjoy the experience anywhere as much as I used to - mostly because of rude audiences. If any theater started officially allowing or even encouraging texting in movies, I would never go to that theater again.

clckworang
04-27-12, 12:59 PM
I've been getting less and less patient with people who come to the theater to text and play games on their cell phones. I have an especially hard time with people who come and sit directly behind me and (loudly) whisper to each other throughout the film - I find it immensely irritating, and it's already happened during several of my trips to the theater this year.

Maybe this would all seem "old fashioned" to most young people - maybe these types of things (openly texting, holding conversations, etc.) will be standard for all audiences in the future.

But, personally, I don't go to theater to see your texts or to hear your conversation. One of the reasons I sometimes enjoy going to the theater is because I really like the sensation of a bunch of people sitting there watching and enjoying the same thing - now it seems like everyone wants to do their own thing and is off in their own little world, and the movie itself is only secondary.

I'm already going to theaters less and less, simply because I don't enjoy the experience anywhere as much as I used to - mostly because of rude audiences. If any theater started officially allowing or even encouraging texting in movies, I would never go to that theater again.

I don't think the holding conversations thing can be pinned on young people. There have always been those jokers as long as I've been going to movies. In fact, I would say that I probably see this problem more with the oldest members of the audience than the younger ones.

Sondheim
04-27-12, 01:23 PM
I don't think the holding conversations thing can be pinned on young people. There have always been those jokers as long as I've been going to movies. In fact, I would say that I probably see this problem more with the oldest members of the audience than the younger ones.I agree with that, and I should probably rephrase my post. Young people are far more likely to text, but older audiences are more likely to "whisper" to each other throughout the film. Which is why even my local arthouse isn't a safe haven from the inconsiderate behavior.

Hokeyboy
04-27-12, 01:30 PM
Friend: "Hey, can you please be quiet?"
Asshole: "Fuck you."
Friend: "OH, I WILL BE WHEN I COME DOWN THERE AND FUCK YOU IN THE ASS IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP.".
Shut up you abortion that lived! :mad:

islandclaws
04-27-12, 01:40 PM
Reading all of this reminds me how happy I am to have a decent home theater and why I never go out to see a movie anymore. I get theater rage just reading about some of the stories and attitudes.

Ding ding ding.

It takes a movie I'm REALLY interested in seeing to get me into a theater. I'm typically patient enough that I can save $40-50 on a night at the movies and just buy the Blu-ray for $20 three months later.

Matthew Chmiel
04-27-12, 01:59 PM
Shut up you abortion that lived! :mad:
:lol: Who said that again?

clckworang
04-27-12, 02:58 PM
I agree with that, and I should probably rephrase my post. Young people are far more likely to text, but older audiences are more likely to "whisper" to each other throughout the film. Which is why even my local arthouse isn't a safe haven from the inconsiderate behavior.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me.

Hokeyboy
04-27-12, 04:16 PM
:lol: Who said that again?
By your command (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8765645-post169.html)...

Trailer for Star Wars - I forget which movie had it, but there was a row of kiddies in front that were enamored with it, it which I yelled "Star Trek...may Piccard is way better than Kirk". The kids yelled back, "It is Star Wars!" My friend then yelled back, "Shut up you abortions that lived!"

:)

Spiderbite
04-27-12, 04:43 PM
Fuck no. I sit up top specifically to avoid having assholes both in front of and behind me.

this. Fucking this.

I hope you guys wash your hands and take a good shower when you get home.

My wife has a co-workers whose son is a manager at the movies (has been for many years) and he said that no one should ever sit in the back rows. He said that you do not want to see what they clean up back there everyday. Used condoms, spooge, soiled underwear, chocolate (at least they hope it is) smeared on seats, the floor, etc.

He said that is usually where the teens sit to make-out and do other stuff and they feel they can't be watched as much there. So...think about what you may be sitting in or touching the next time you choose the back row.

And you guys bitching about noise and distractions are doing it all wrong. I NEVER see a movie opening weekend. Unless it is the first matinee on a Sunday, I wait a week or two. Or go see it on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night. No one is usually there, I get my pick of the seats, no cell phones, no popcorn munchers, nothing. People are fucking animals at the theater. My biggest rule is never go see a movie on a Friday or Saturday night unless it has been out for at least 3 weeks. Those nights are by far the worst offenders for having a horrible movie going experience. Period.

The only drawback to my plan is that I occasionally miss a movie due to waiting too long. Movies seem to drop like a stone out of theaters nowadays. Some are lucky to last three weeks. Gone are the days when Raiders & Star Wars ran for 3 years in theaters. It's hard to imagine now.

Sondheim
04-27-12, 06:37 PM
And you guys bitching about noise and distractions are doing it all wrong. I NEVER see a movie opening weekend. Unless it is the first matinee on a Sunday, I wait a week or two. Or go see it on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night. No one is usually there, I get my pick of the seats, no cell phones, no popcorn munchers, nothing. People are fucking animals at the theater. My biggest rule is never go see a movie on a Friday or Saturday night unless it has been out for at least 3 weeks. Those nights are by far the worst offenders for having a horrible movie going experience. Period.Doesn't work for me. I almost always go to the movies during "off hours," and I still manage to get stuck with annoying people. I saw A Dangerous Method during a Tuesday evening showing, and the two other people in the theater turned out to be very talkative. They were sitting some ten rows behind me and I could still hear them whispering throughout the entire goddamned movie.

foofighters7
04-28-12, 11:31 AM
It drives me bat shit crazy how much the marketplace is directed toward what kids want. Fuck kids. When I was a kid nobody gave a flying shit what I thought about anything. Why are a bunch of grown adults sitting around trying to think of ways to make the theater more acceptable to a bunch of fucking retarded teenagers? Why don't they focus on the bigger problem: Why do only teens go to movies anymore? Maybe it has something to do with the environment these theater owners are providing?

Yes...YES!!! YESSSS!!!!!

I'm one of those assholes who refused to let people ruin my films.

My wife said I trampled some people when I went to see 'A Separation'.

Two older people sat down a seat away from me and started loud whispering then outright talking quietly. I allowed it to go on for awhile then politely asked them to please don't talk. I was told "then you move!" to which I said "ME MOVE, THAT'S IT!". I jumped up and plowed through the row and out the door to get an attendant. When I came back with the attendant they never said another word. I think I scared the crap out of them which I was fine with.
It's one thing to be stupid enough to talk in a film, it's another thing to talk during a foreign film and it's still another thing to be rude when you're asked to be quiet.
I've had to lay down the law with people WAY too much recently at theaters and it's annoying.
Screw kids. Screw kids likes or dislikes!...Have we forgotten that they are imbeciles?

Sean O'Hara
04-28-12, 12:03 PM
Just saying:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bKEaf3bpJB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If all right-thinking people acted this way, America would be a better country.

davidh777
04-28-12, 12:10 PM
Yeah I don't get the correlation between watching movies and eating. My family and friends usually just go and watch the film. I can eat before or after the movie. Yet lots of people seemingly enjoy cramming huge amounts of food in their pie hole while watching a film. :shrug:

I do like getting a hot dog at the movies since it's about the only time I eat them other than the ballpark. But I once made the mistake of getting nachos then couldn't see what I was eating in the dark. :)

You mean brighter than the huge screen in front of you?? Sorry, I've never been upset by someone texting -- in fact I don't think I've ever even noticed it. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Sure, the screen is huge, but the rest of the theater is dark, and the little screens break that up.

Ash Ketchum
04-28-12, 03:14 PM
Doesn't work for me. I almost always go to the movies during "off hours," and I still manage to get stuck with annoying people. I saw A Dangerous Method during a Tuesday evening showing, and the two other people in the theater turned out to be very talkative. They were sitting some ten rows behind me and I could still hear them whispering throughout the entire goddamned movie.

A lot of people--e.g., the ones on this thread who insist they don't have a problem with this--have the ability to tune out noise that goes on around them (or cellphone lights) and focus entirely on the screen. People like you and I don't have that ability. I hear everything that goes on around me and I can pretty much see everything that happens in my field of vision in the rows in front of and to the side of me. Now this can come in handy when listening for audience reaction to a film and trying to pick up the vibe of an audience. But you're also very sensitive to all the distractions cited in this thread. This is why I like it more when there are fewer people in the theater.

kd5
04-28-12, 04:31 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: -kd5-

My Other Self
04-28-12, 04:45 PM
Yes...YES!!! YESSSS!!!!!

I'm one of those assholes who refused to let people ruin my films.

My wife said I trampled some people when I went to see 'A Separation'.And here I thought you were a woman.

DJLinus
06-12-12, 07:15 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new folk hero:

IPAD: BRINGING A GUN TO THE TEXTING DURING A MOVIE KNIFEFIGHT

As I’ve noted before, nothing brings me more pleasure in life than getting people (particularly young people) thrown out of movie theaters for texting or talking during a film. As I’ve mentioned, people who do these things are human mildew and the only solution for them is to scrape them off of any surfact they attach themselves to. I only wish that we lived in a society where justice still prevailed and far more severe punishments were available than just throwing them out of the theater. The removal of their thumbs would be an excellent place to start.

But if there is a downside to getting people thrown out of movies for texting it is that the process of doing so often causes you yourself to miss a good 10 - 15 minutes of the film. A sacrifice that must be made for the public good, but not a win/win by any means.

Last night however, I came upon a more efficient, if slightly less satisfying way of dealing with this menace. I was watching a movie and when the gentleman next to me started texting. He was not particularly young and looked like he belonged much more in a nightclub than a movie theater. I object to the enormous role the word “douche” now plays in our language, and yet, in this instance, I can find no fitting substitute so I will let the D word stand as an apt description.

Anyhow, the hour was late. The movie was so bad (more about that to come) that most of my will to fight had been bludgeoned out of me. Talking to this cretin to even tell him to knock it off would have taken more than I had to give.

But then I realized I had in my hands a bigger weapon than his pathetic little iPhone. When the iPad was first unveiled, they were mocked as just giant iPhones, but perhaps they were built to be such with this very moment in mind. Not saying a word, I turned my iPad on, opened the browser to a white screen and positioned it on my lap pointed directly at my neighbor’s face and away from mine. Thus, I was able to continue to enjoy (or not) the movie - with the screen pointed away from me - ignoring him while he glared at me in outrage and waved his hands around in protest. Finally as he seemed about to make a stink, it dawned on him that he was not in a position to complain about people having their screens open during the movie. I saw him visibly deflate and put his phone back in his pocket. Without a word, I then turned my iPad off and put it away.

Again, not as satisfying as getting him thrown out or having his thumbs cut off, but very effective and made the point!

http://rushfieldbabylon.com/post/24965983823/ipad-bringing-a-gun-to-the-texting-during-a-movie

RocShemp
06-12-12, 07:27 PM
^ He's lucky the douche didn't punch his iPad.

Supermallet
06-12-12, 07:49 PM
Texting sucks, especially when people whose skin tone differs from mine do it. They're extra annoying because they're different from me and I find that threatening.

Obey The D
06-12-12, 07:52 PM
By your command (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8765645-post169.html)...

:)

And then we all went out afterwards and got matching GI Joe tattoos that kicked all sorts of ass.

Tom Creo
06-12-12, 11:42 PM
When the wife and I saw Prometheus, before the trailers they were running commercials. I shit you not, they had a trivia question pop up on screen that asked you to text the answer to win a large popcorn. Next ad was to respect the audience and silence your cell phones. lol

Abob Teff
06-13-12, 01:06 AM
Well ... I expected this was going to be about some new interactive app for moviegoers to use during the film. Turns out it was about severely over-paid douchebags who are completely disconnected from their customer base and whining about it. It does not surprise me that 21 Jumpstreet was mentioned. Anybody who greenlights shit like that would think texting in a movie is a good idea.

I agree with the cellphone jammer. If you THINK you are so damned important that you cannot be separated from your digital-brain for 90 minutes, then leave the phone at the ticket counter and they can come get you if you are needed. Oh, by the way ... you aren't that important.

As a co-worker of mine pointed out once -- My company may work 24/7, that doesn't mean I do. My phone will be on 24/7 but you may not get a call back right away.

benedict
06-18-12, 03:10 AM
Before all screenings at my local cinema they run ads asking people to turn phones to silent/off and not to use during the performance. Some of these are quite smart and poke fun at the situation.

I do find a mini-screen of light (sometimes multiplied across various rows) in front of me to be a distraction from the BIG screen and like many here wonder why people cannot leave their toys alone when they've paid to immerse themselves in a film and have ben asked nicely to consider other people.

However, when you see a "young" film and witness the rows of loudly chattering teens in front &/or behind you it becomes clear just how self-absorbed some people are and, sadly, not all of them grow out of it when they hit their 20s.

nodeerforamonth
06-18-12, 08:49 AM

Really? Are you fucking serious?

Troy Stiffler
06-18-12, 09:12 AM

Pft. I don't even have a good home theater anymore and I'm tiring of the theater experience. Unless I'm realiy excited to see a movie, I'll just wait till it's on DVD. For instance, I saw MIB 3, Avengers and Prometheus so far this year (and I feel like I saw something during the winter). And I'll see The Dark Knight and maybe Moonrise Kingdom. But then I doubt I'll be at the theater till Christmas. I will be at the local CD/DVD store weekly, though.

Tarantino
06-18-12, 01:26 PM
I dot think that someone texting has ever bothered me at a theater.

DonnachaOne
06-18-12, 01:41 PM
I don't think that someone texting has ever bothered me at a theater.

Texters have always bothered me at the theater.

(In a time crunch? Reread this one post to sum up the whole thread in one go!)

JGaitan82
06-18-12, 02:04 PM
I say go with the cell phone jammers. I mean what the hell. I pay good hard earned money to watch a movie and I don't want to hear people talk or see them text.

starman9000
06-18-12, 03:24 PM
Where is that thread where people talk about portable cellphone jammers.

I think that is something I need to buy for when I go see the Avengers

Then those people would just be whipping out their phones even more checking for coverage and holding them up in the air.

davidh777
06-18-12, 03:51 PM
Then those people would just be whipping out their phones even more checking for coverage and holding them up in the air.

:lol:

The Bus
06-19-12, 10:32 AM

The theaters in Australia have active signal blocking technology that turns on once the feature starts. You get "bars" during trailers, but once the studio logo shows up... nothing.

If you are in a life-threatening situation where you need to respond to something immediately, perhaps it's not a good time to go to the movie theater in the first place.