Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: Best Sony DD/DTS Reciever. . .

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advice needed: Best Sony DD/DTS Reciever. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-00, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I need some advice here. What is the best Sony Dolby Digital/DTS receiver for the money? I mean in terms of options, features, and sound. Thank you for the help.
Old 10-13-00, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unless you are going to buy one of the Sony ES series receivers I would stay away from them. You are better off looking at the Yamaha RX-V series or if you can afford to spend a little more then the Denon and Marantz lines. I would say that overall these are the three best brands performance and reliability wise.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-13-00, 09:25 PM

Hey Cloud, your full of bullsh*t! Sony kicks arse!! Reddye I got a Sony STR-DE835 about 9 months ago for 350.00 and this receiver simply rocks!!!! Who knows it might be even cheaper now. Highly recommended buddy. Personally I think Yamaha's blow.
Old 10-13-00, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BigBadWes,
I think their is a diffeence in you opinion compared to mine. You are going by you own personal experience where as I am going by my opinion, the concensus here at DVD Talk and people I know who own receivers. Just because you like your receiver does not automatically make it a great buy. By the way if you are trying to offer constructive criticism, which obviously you have a hard time doing judging by your post their is no need to make comments like "Hey Cloud, your full of bullsh*t!', as it does not help give credence to you comments.

While I admit Sony does make some good receivers, I would state, and I am sure a lot of people would agree, there are better brands out there like the three I mentioned.

By the way, having said that, you do have a case in justifying your purchase.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited October 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited October 13, 2000).]
Old 10-13-00, 10:14 PM
BEC

The DB series was a notable upgrade from the DE line. Less reports of overheating/build quality issues.

DB830 & DB930 go for less ($300-$400),since being replaced.

The newer DB840&DB940 are also quite good. Decent amp w/fairly advanced pre/pro options: bass management, 3 band EQ

Not quite ES standard, but I'd say quite comparable to entry level Yamahas. Yamaha might have a cleaner amp section, whereas Sony has the more powerful pre/pro section.

The V444ES is a very good receiver, in many regards similar to Sony's flagship 777ES.
Excellent performance and performance/price ratio.

To echo Cloud, however,

There are OTHER choices than Sony.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited October 13, 2000).]
Old 10-13-00, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you decide to buy a Sony receiver, I'd say go with the "ES" line, if you can't go with the "ES" line, I'd have to agree with the rest of the group, Yamaha or Denon will give you better sound in the $300 to $600 range.
Personally I have the DA555ES, this year has V555ES instead.... hmmm..all the features are the same.

Anyway, with the 555ES you get Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1 and about 41 or so DSP modes. Also you get this funky LCD remote(which I really wanted when I bought the receiver, now I'm wishing I had just a regular remote...)
The 555ES also has 4 optical hookups and 5 S Video inputs.

I'm not a video/audio phile, but it also features 32 bit sound processing, which I'm told is awesome.

I previously owned a Kenwood VR-309. The jump was tremendous. The VR-309 would always overload on me, and sometimes get burning hot.

I haven't even come close to reaching the Sony's top level.

I definatley recommend the 555ES.
Old 10-13-00, 11:50 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BigBadWes:
Hey Cloud, your full of bullsh*t! Sony kicks arse!! Reddye I got a Sony STR-DE835 about 9 months ago for 350.00 and this receiver simply rocks!!!! Who knows it might be even cheaper now. Highly recommended buddy. Personally I think Yamaha's blow. <HR>

LOL, the day Sony makes a good reciever is the day I um... uh... buy a Sony Reciever (I have a harman/kardon) :]

Old 10-14-00, 02:24 AM

I own the Sony STR-DA555ES and couldn't be happier. Regardless of what any of these other people say the ES line is a great buy for the money and a high quality product. My reciever only cost me $600 and it is a steal when considering what it offers. If you can afford it and you like Sony then I would definately reccomend this reciever.
Old 10-14-00, 01:40 PM

I have an older Sony 30ES. And I love it. If you can afford it go for the ES line it is worth the extra cost compared to the more main stream ones.
Old 10-14-00, 02:01 PM

I agree that you should go with the ES line. Once you listen to ES receivers, you would never want to go back to the low end ones again. The only problem is that they are usually more expensive compared to those from other brands with similar quality. I have been able to stick with ES receivers though because I can get them at a good discount through a friend.

Old 10-14-00, 08:28 PM
BEC

quote:<HR>LOL, the day Sony makes a good reciever is the day I um... uh... buy a Sony Reciever (I have a harman/kardon) :] <HR>

I've demo'd ALOT of receivers (Denon 2800,3330, Yamaha 795a, Onkyo 575, 777, Marantz sr7000, sr8000,sr19 Sony DB940, 777ES, 555ES, Kenwood 309, 3090, HK 300, 7000, Pa5800 amp, Pioneer 608 ...) over the past 2 years. Sony's DB and ES receivers are very good at their price marks.

While some of the earlier Sony models deserve some of the Sony bashing, the DB and ES series are fine choices.

IMO, 777ES was one of the best receivers I've heard, second to the Marantz8000. The 777ES by FAR had the best constructed amp. The biggest transformer, largest capacitors, heavy duty push/pull amps on all five channels. Probably the clearest/cleanest receiver as well.

I have the Marantz 8000, but I would not blindly dismiss a Sony ES OR DB series receiver, BECAUSE it was made by Sony.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-16-00, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my 2 cents:

i bought the Sony 333 ES 8-9 months ago and am very happy with it. ($599 at Big Apple Electronics, sounds like ZenDog maybe found a better deal) It has lots of power for my medium sized living room -- I've never had the volume up more than 1/2 way -- it's loud.

Plus it comes with the aforementioned funky Captain Kirk remote.

I'm guessing you can find equally impressive components from other brands, but I love my Sony 333ES.