Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

OldBoy
04-24-12, 03:41 PM
Since reviews are pouring in...

Please continue pre-release discussion here. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/572314-avengers-may-2012-d-joss-whedon-73.html)

Movie:
"The Avengers" (Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston)

Release Date:
5/4/2012

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, a mild drug reference, some mild sexual innuendo, but nothing horrible, unfair comparisons to the clearly superior 1998 The Avenger’s throughout)

Running Time:
142min. (2h. 22m.)

Budget:
$220 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Nick Fury is director of S.H.I.E.L.D, an international peace keeping agency. The agency is a who's who of Marvel Super Heroes, with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When global security is threatened by Loki and his cohorts, Nick Fury and his team will need all their powers to save the world from disaster.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.8 (146,280 votes as of 5/12/12) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:239 Rotten:18 (93% as of 5/12/12) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/)

Metacritic:
69 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 5/12/12) (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="444"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53612"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53612" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="444"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/scott1598/Movie%20Posters/Marvels_The_Avengers_2012.jpg

The Bus
04-25-12, 06:15 AM
<b>The Avengers</b> is one of the most fun movies. That previous sentence was not missing a clause or specification. <! I wish I had come up with that phrase>

I really can't do a proper review justice, so I'll just hit a bunch of bullet points:
<ul>
<li> At first, I was dismayed that I had purchased 3D/IMAX tickets for a movie not shot in that format, but this may be the perfect example of an excellent post-conversion. It's crystal clear, and whoever worked on this (whether it's Whedon or someone else) "understands" 3D much better. It doesn't feel like a cheap addition, just something that got as much thought put into it as, say, the sound mixing. There's also a few 3D fan service scenes with the female characters. :lol:
<li> If you were like me, you spent a considerable amount of your early comic book–reading years locked in discussions along the lines of "Who would win in a fight between <i>x</i> and <i>y</i>?" Prepare to add more fodder to these discussions. The best fight scenes are between the existing characters, and are used throughout the film, keeping the pace quick through the finale.
<li> As you would expect from a Whedon script, the one-liners are hilarious and a lot of times unexpected.
<li> Good gravy, Cobie Smulders is one of the most attractive women on the planet. Guess I had to see her 30 feet tall.
<li> Each character gets plenty of screen time, so it doesn't feel like anyone gets stiffed. Except maybe Hawkeye who gets taken over by Loki and is a villain for more than half the film.
<li> I saw it with two others people, who had little knowledge of comic books (but had seen the other films) and both loved it. If anyone liked any of the past movies, they'll like this one.
<li> You don't need to stay to the very, very end of the credits, just halfway through, when they introduce the next villain: Thanos
</ul>

I'm absolutely seeing this again.

OldBoy
04-25-12, 07:04 AM
Sounds like Whedon really did this franchise right! So many reviews are so glowing.

JesseCuster
04-25-12, 08:14 AM
Not seen it yet but the only other summer film I can remember reviews like this for recently was the Star Trek reboot.

Crazy strong.

Solid Snake
04-25-12, 09:02 AM
<li> You don't need to stay to the very, very end of the credits, just halfway through, when they introduce the next villain: Thanos
</ul>

could you go into detail of that one?

kgrogers1979
04-25-12, 09:20 AM
could you go into detail of that one?

It's already on youtube.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FFFkmnUzMkA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid Snake
04-25-12, 09:31 AM
already down.

edit: I found it. Marvel is quick on taking them down though.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p0wMFDslxWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kgrogers1979
04-25-12, 09:33 AM
Damn, that was fast. Did you get a chance to see it?

Solid Snake
04-25-12, 09:34 AM
yeah. Posted it in my spoiler up there. Dunno how long it'll last.

Deftones
04-25-12, 10:13 AM
Son of a fuck, why did I read those spoilers? :lol:

I have no self-restraint. I gotta stay out of this thread.

kgrogers1979
04-25-12, 10:24 AM
yeah. Posted it in my spoiler up there. Dunno how long it'll last.

Not long. Its down already too. :lol:

RocShemp
04-25-12, 11:05 AM
Missed it twice. :lol:

kgrogers1979
04-25-12, 11:17 AM
Missed it twice. :lol:

You really didn't miss much as it was really bad cam quality and hard to see anything. Basically it is Thanos saying that they underestimated the Avengers, Loki bows down before him, and the camera then focuses on Thanos' arm which I suppose was the Infinity Gauntlet but hard to tell in the poor cam quality. Then Thanos says something like "to challenge them is to court death" (a double meaning for comic book readers since Thanos is in love with the personification of Death in the comics). Thanos then turns around and we get a quick half a second look at his face. And that's it.

Solid Snake
04-25-12, 11:21 AM
You really didn't miss much as it was really bad cam quality and hard to see anything. Basically it is Thanos saying that they underestimated the Avengers, Loki bows down before him, and the camera then focuses on Thanos' arm which I suppose was the Infinity Gauntlet but hard to tell in the poor cam quality. Then Thanos says something like "to challenge them is to court death" (a double meaning for comic book readers since Thanos is in love with the personification of Death in the comics). Thanos then turns around and we get a quick half a second look at his face. And that's it.

and he has a slight smile at the end.

TGM
04-25-12, 11:41 AM
Thanos is not the way to go in the sequel.

They need an Avengers vs A Legion of Doom type group.

Solid Snake
04-25-12, 11:50 AM
Thanos is not the way to go in the sequel.

They need an Avengers vs A Legion of Doom type group.

I'd be game for that...
http://pixelatedgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/legion-of-doom-hawk-and-animal.jpg

OldBoy
04-28-12, 11:20 AM
reviews are sublime...

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.9 (12,984 votes as of 4/28/12) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:54 Rotten:02 (96% as of 4/28/12) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/)

Metacritic:
73 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 4/28/12) (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012)

cartman
04-28-12, 03:37 PM
My three word review:

It's fraking awesome.

Hulk was probably my favorite part of the movie. Comedy without being cheesy.

keyed
04-28-12, 04:50 PM
Basically correct; it wasn't Loki but a Chitauri bowing and saying that to challenge Earth is to court death. Then a close up to the other guy, with him smiling in response.

I got to agree that Hulk was my favorite, too. He was awesome in the fights, but he also had the audience laughing.

The Antipodean
04-28-12, 09:44 PM
Great stuff, took my 8 year old and we had a blast. Ruffalo was a awesome Banner and best use yet of Hulk. Loki great choice as villain too, best of the foes in the past movies and Hiddleston is excellent. More when I soak it in but other than a slightly slow start it's a great flick.

Maryang Palad
04-28-12, 10:01 PM
I don't understand why this is getting rave reviews while the movie is average at best with today's special effects.

Pizza
04-28-12, 10:20 PM
I don't understand why this is getting rave reviews while the movie is average at best with today's special effects.
There's more to a movie than special effects. You can have the greatest effects around but if the story and cast blow then so does the movie. Have so-so effects and a great cast and story and the movie is still good. I think folks are too harsh on special effects these days. Just my opinion though.
Story>special effects in my book.

The Cow
04-28-12, 10:23 PM

What in particular did you think was lacking?

jdslater1
04-29-12, 05:02 AM
Puny God!

Best line ever.

End of review.

cartman
04-29-12, 10:12 AM
I was wondering what he said. The theater was too loud laughing to hear it :lol: .

Superboy
04-30-12, 02:48 PM
Other than the horrifically stupid storyline, this movie was pretty good.

Although, the movie's tone is seriously off. Joss Whedon still hasn't figured that out yet.

Draven
04-30-12, 11:03 PM
This was, without exaggeration, my favorite movie of all time.

Every note is perfect, everyone gets to shine, it's funny, it's completely action packed and I simply did not want it to end.

The only downside was the press screening I attended was an IMAX 3d (but in a "regular" theater) and while the 3D was fine, it was distracting throughout. I need to see it in 2D for the best experience.

But hot damn...I don't really see ow anything else could live up to that. And the absolute best part is 95% of the best moments aren't in the trailer. Went in pretty pristine and could not get enough.

JumpCutz
05-01-12, 12:12 AM

Every note is perfect, everyone gets to shine, it's funny, it's completely action packed and I simply did not want it to end.

Well according to Arpeggi it didn't merit even a single star in the poll. :lol:

Draven
05-01-12, 12:37 AM
There will be people who don't like this movie or nitpick it to death. And that's fine. I feel bad for them, but I understand it's not for everyone.

But we actually got a big-screen, big-budget version of The Avengers and that alone merits a few stars. The fact that not only did they do it, but they did it balls-to-the-wall awesome...well that just makes it the best thing ever :)

Although, the movie's tone is seriously off. Joss Whedon still hasn't figured that out yet.

I cannot understand this at all. The tone is outstanding - serious when it needs to be, light when it feels natural...felt exactly like a great comic book to me.

JumpCutz
05-01-12, 12:51 AM
There will be people who don't like this movie or nitpick it to death. And that's fine. I feel bad for them, but I understand it's not for everyone.

But we actually got a big-screen, big-budget version of The Avengers and that alone merits a few stars. The fact that not only did they do it, but they did it balls-to-the-wall awesome...well that just makes it the best thing ever :)

:thumbsup: Can't wait to see this.

The Bus
05-01-12, 05:57 AM

I was pretty sad when I saw it had 45 minutes left.

Arpeggi
05-01-12, 07:23 AM
Well according to Arpeggi it didn't merit even a single star in the poll. :lol:

Sorry, anything Joss Whedon gets an automatic low score.

Jaymole
05-01-12, 07:37 AM
Sorry, anything Joss Whedon gets an automatic low score.

So why did you go see the film if you knew it was going to be Joss Whedon crap?

mdc3000
05-01-12, 08:01 AM
Saw the Canadian Premiere last night, with Mark Ruffalo and Cobie Smulders in attendance (she is even hotter in real life - damn you Taran Killam!)...before it started the audience was a bit restless as the movie started nearly 40 minutes late - but once it started, all was forgiven.

I'd say skip 3D if you get the option. I'm a big fan of 3D but found it more distracting than anything - although I did get a pair of Iron Man, Hulk and Thor 3D glasses at my screening - which are really cool.

I've been counting down the seconds to this movie and overall it definitely didn't disappoint. Whedon has to set up all the chess pieces before we get to the heart of it and even though I was never bored, I didn't feel like the movie was totally working until THOR arrived. However, once Thor shows up, the movie gets just about everything right and builds to an excellent finish - the final battle scene had me smiling from ear to ear.

Seeing everyone fighting alongside each other was everything I hoped it would be...and you've got to credit Whedon for finding a great way to integrate HULK into the movie, making him and Banner more interesting and more FUN than any of the recent incarnations.

I was really impressed that Scarlet had so much to do and killed it IMO. Black Widow (along with Hulk) was one of the best surprises the movie had up it's sleeve - her scene with Loki was great. I feel like Hawkeye and Cap sort of come up short compared to everyone else, but that was bound to happen. I'm sitting here smiling just thinking about this movie - great scenes like Iron Man Vs. Thor...so damn awesome.

The script has great dialogue, nice character beats and the finale is terrific - those things go a long way in me forgiving the problems in act 1 and even though I'm not 100% sure that the Chitauri/aliens were the best way to go, seeing the stinger at the end got me really hyped for more! 4.5/5

superdeluxe
05-01-12, 01:04 PM
So why did you go see the film if you knew it was going to be Joss Whedon crap?

I don't think he saw it.

Jaymole
05-01-12, 01:58 PM
I don't think he saw it.

Ahhhh, I see...talk about immaturity...

TomOpus
05-01-12, 01:59 PM
Sorry, anything Joss Whedon gets an automatic low score.So just talk about it in the regular thread and don't leave a BS score in the reviews thread since you've obviously not seen the movie. Or just select the option that you're not interested. No need to act like you're 13 or something.

Michael Corvin
05-01-12, 02:16 PM
So just talk about it in the regular thread and don't leave a BS score in the reviews thread since you've obviously not seen the movie. Or just select the option that you're not interested. No need to act like you're 13 or something.

Maybe he's not acting.

TomOpus
05-01-12, 02:21 PM
Maybe he's not acting.That's a distinct possibility.

DVD Josh
05-01-12, 02:53 PM
That's a distinct possibility.

He's been on my block list for years.

Ash Ketchum
05-01-12, 03:03 PM
Forgive me if this was answered already, but was this made in 3-D or post-converted?

trespoochies
05-01-12, 03:11 PM
Post from what I remember reading in the other obscenely long thread.

RoboDad
05-01-12, 03:22 PM
It was done in post, but from what I've read Joss was pretty happy with the result. All I know I'll be seeing it in 3D at 12:01 Friday, hopefully in IMAX :).

Draven
05-01-12, 04:21 PM
Post, but it looked like "good" 3D to me. Of course, that's relative :)

There is some serious action and explosions, so I lost focus on a regular basis as things blew up all over the screen. It's taxing to try to keep up with it.

Mr. Cinema
05-01-12, 04:49 PM
I read this was shot in 1.85:1. That's sort of surprising. Most of the big blockbusters are usually 2.35/2.40:1 ratios. I know the Jurassic Parks, War of the Worlds, Spider-man 1, and Men in Black were all 1.85:1 as well. Doesn't seem to happen that often anymore.

But apparently the 1.85:1 ratio was requested by Disney.

Supermallet
05-02-12, 05:35 AM
Three words: Holy. Fucking. Shit!

This was everything I could have possibly wanted out of an Avengers movie. I was so happy to see Whedon get the gig as both director and writer, because I think he's generally great (except for Dollhouse) and he did not drop the ball once.

Ruffalo was perfectly cast as Banner. The moment he shows up on screen I completely forgot about Bana and Norton. And Hulk had many of the best moments in the film. My inner child was beaming with joy the whole time.

This movie should shut up most of the Whedon haters, unless their hatred is so irrational that they can't enjoy a movie that is balls to the wall awesome from beginning to end.

Superboy
05-02-12, 07:33 AM
Wait, maybe you guys should step back and think: this is BMB's Avengers! aren't you supposed to hate it?

Solid Snake
05-02-12, 10:07 AM
...i'm assuming BMB stands for Brian Michael Bendis? How are these his avengers?

kgrogers1979
05-02-12, 10:22 AM
I just imagined a Marvel movie with Bendis-like dialogue and I shuddered at the horror of it.

Solid Snake
05-02-12, 10:34 AM
I liked what Bendis did w/ DD. LOVED what Brubaker did more afterwards.

pelenor
05-02-12, 10:45 AM
Actually, this movie is almost a complete adaptation of Mark Millar's "The Ultimates". I say almost cause many elements from that story are shown on screen, which is not a dis on Joss Whedon at all, since I've been a fan of his since the original "Buffy" movie with Kristy Swanson. Any who, movie is a comic on screen and anyone who says it not good just because of joss Whedons involvement is trolling. Saw the flick and had a smile from ear to ear. Best time I had at a movie in a long time. It's just a fun, Super Hero movie. WB and DC are probably trying to figure out how to get a JLA movie made now.

kgrogers1979
05-02-12, 10:47 AM
I liked what Bendis did w/ DD. LOVED what Brubaker did more afterwards.

Yeah, Bendis and Brubaker on Daredevil was the best thing since Frank Miller. Then it all went to hell in a handbasket with Shadowland...

But Bendis' work on Avengers and Ultimate Spider-Man is a far cry below the quality of his Daredevil work.

Actually, this movie is almost a complete adaptation of Mark Millar's "The Ultimates".

It will only be a complete adaptation when Captain America screams "The A does not stand for France!!!" and Hulk gets horny and want to smash Freddie Prinze Jr.

And oh, wife beating Hank Pym.

B.A.
05-02-12, 12:48 PM
Three words: Holy. Fucking. Shit!

This was everything I could have possibly wanted out of an Avengers movie. I was so happy to see Whedon get the gig as both director and writer, because I think he's generally great (except for Dollhouse) and he did not drop the ball once.

Ruffalo was perfectly cast as Banner. The moment he shows up on screen I completely forgot about Bana and Norton. And Hulk had many of the best moments in the film. My inner child was beaming with joy the whole time.

This movie should shut up most of the Whedon haters, unless their hatred is so irrational that they can't enjoy a movie that is balls to the wall awesome from beginning to end.Thanks, dick - now I don't want to wait a couple of weeks to see it.

:p

RocShemp
05-02-12, 12:51 PM
Actually, this movie is almost a complete adaptation of Mark Millar's "The Ultimates". I say almost cause many elements from that story are shown on screen, which is not a dis on Joss Whedon at all, since I've been a fan of his since the original "Buffy" movie with Kristy Swanson. Any who, movie is a comic on screen and anyone who says it not good just because of joss Whedons involvement is trolling. Saw the flick and had a smile from ear to ear. Best time I had at a movie in a long time. It's just a fun, Super Hero movie. WB and DC are probably trying to figure out how to get a JLA movie made now.

Well played, sir. :lol::up:

DJariya
05-02-12, 01:11 PM
Arpeggi...0 stars?? :lol: Really?? Maybe he should stick to watching basketball. ;)

Edit: Ah I see, he didn't even see the movie. Just a personal hate for Joss Whedon.

Working Friday, Saturday and an overnight shift going into Sunday afternoon. Will try to catch this late Sunday afternoon if I'm not too tired.

superdeluxe
05-02-12, 02:18 PM
apparently we are getting a 2nd post credit scene:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170465-second-end-credits-scene-for-the-avengers-confirmed

Supermallet
05-02-12, 02:20 PM
The basic plot is similar to The Ultimates, but luckily avoids all the obscenely stupid shit Millar packed in there, character-wise.

Oh and I can confirm the second post-credits scene. The first one is after the above the line credits (which is set to a montage of the different costumes everyone wears), and the second one is after all the credits.

Draven
05-02-12, 02:40 PM
I didn't stick around until post-post credits. :( Oh well, now I gotta go back!

DJariya
05-02-12, 02:43 PM
I didn't stick around until post-post credits. :( Oh well, now I gotta go back!

I think the Rule of thumb should be, if it's a Marvel Movie, chances are there is a post credit scene and you should wait.

Did you stick around for the previous Marvel Movies for the bonus scene?

Solid Snake
05-02-12, 02:50 PM
The basic plot is similar to The Ultimates, but luckily avoids all the obscenely stupid shit Millar packed in there, character-wise.

Oh and I can confirm the second post-credits scene. The first one is after the above the line credits (which is set to a montage of the different costumes everyone wears), and the second one is after all the credits.

well....tell us what it's about....

Supermallet
05-02-12, 02:54 PM
Chitauri invasion prompts superhumans/enhanced humans to come together to save humanity. :)

If you mean the post-credits sequence, it'll only make sense for people who've seen the movie, as it relates to a line Tony Stark has near the end of the film:

It's the whole team eating Shwarma directly after the climactic battle.

Solid Snake
05-02-12, 03:05 PM
....is it a good scene?

Supermallet
05-02-12, 03:11 PM
It's funny.

Draven
05-02-12, 04:17 PM
I think the Rule of thumb should be, if it's a Marvel Movie, chances are there is a post credit scene and you should wait.

Did you stick around for the previous Marvel Movies for the bonus scene?

There are apparently two bonus scenes. The first (which I saw) felt like what would have been the post-credits scene for any of the other movies. I always stay...I just didn't think there would be two.

DonnachaOne
05-03-12, 01:19 AM
Having seen the film twice now (ran it for my staff two nights in a row; ah, private IMAX shows), I'll just superfluously confirm the two bonus scenes. One is after the above-the-line credits (cast names! superhero logos!), then the other at the very end after the credits crawl.

DonnachaOne
05-03-12, 01:32 AM
I read this was shot in 1.85:1. That's sort of surprising. Most of the big blockbusters are usually 2.35/2.40:1 ratios. I know the Jurassic Parks, War of the Worlds, Spider-man 1, and Men in Black were all 1.85:1 as well. Doesn't seem to happen that often anymore.

But apparently the 1.85:1 ratio was requested by Disney.
I had read that cinematographer Seamus McGarvey and Whedon agreed on 1.85:1 because a) the vastly different heights of the characters, and b) the battle around New York's skyscrapers, with fighting at several different elevations, would look better with a "taller" image.

I'm quite surprised at all the times the actors' heads were getting chopped by the top of the frame. Can't blame the projectionist there - first off, it was digital, and second, I was the projectionist!

sharkstank
05-03-12, 06:41 AM
Well that was awesome. I thought both Iron Man and Thor were great, Cap and Incredible Hulk were good and Iron Man 2 was just ok as a frame of reference, Avengers is the best of the bunch.

Paced great, awesome action scenes (each fight is great, and the climactic brawl blows something like Transformers out of the water), each character is given enough time, really good villain. I loved it. And yea, this is the best characterization of Hulk, and I liked both previous films. Probably 4 stars here.

The 3-D was alright, didn't distract me and wasn't eye popping. I'll see it again in 2-D, as this was a screening, otherwise I'd have chosen 2-D. Although Scarlett's ass looked great in 3-D. Oh and, not saying I'd try, but if I had to, or the opportunity presented itself, yea, I'd sleep with Chris Hemsworth.

Quake1028
05-03-12, 07:10 AM
I have our tickets for Saturday at 10:15 for the IMAX 3D showing. Cannot wait.

Draven
05-03-12, 09:13 AM
I'm giving serious thought to seeing a midnight showing tonight, just to catch it with another enthusiastic crowd. And I never see movies twice in the theater.

Dr. DVD
05-03-12, 10:04 AM
Going to the midnight showing tonight, and wearing my "Browncoat" hat. ;)

I think that what Marvel wants to do with this movie and any subsequent outing with these characters is make the movies flow together more seemlessly, kind of like comic books. I won't be shocked if we see Cap or Iron Man pop up in a cameo for the new Thor, or maybe Hulk shows up briefly in Iron Man 2. This can also allow them to slowly build the story for the next Avengers throughout the movies.

Perhaps have Thanos cameos become the new connection over Nick Fury.

Supermallet
05-03-12, 01:00 PM
I'm giving serious thought to seeing a midnight showing tonight, just to catch it with another enthusiastic crowd. And I never see movies twice in the theater.

I'm also considering seeing it again tonight, even though I'm still kind of sick and have to be up early-ish tomorrow. It's that good!

SuckaMC
05-03-12, 01:09 PM
Seeing this Sunday! Can't wait!

superdeluxe
05-03-12, 03:51 PM
Did stan lee have his customary cameo?

The Bus
05-03-12, 04:02 PM
Did stan lee have his customary cameo?

He did!

Draven
05-03-12, 05:16 PM
I'm also considering seeing it again tonight, even though I'm still kind of sick and have to be up early-ish tomorrow. It's that good!

Got my ticket! Have to drive 30 minutes away because my usual theaters are all sold out. That's something else I've never seen happen. They usually have enough screens to handle demand...even with Harry Potter and The Hunger Games.

Arpeggi
05-03-12, 10:17 PM
Arpeggi...0 stars?? :lol: Really?? Maybe he should stick to watching basketball. ;)

Edit: Ah I see, he didn't even see the movie. Just a personal hate for Joss Whedon.

I'm going to a midnight showing tonight. Too late to change my vote. The Avengers is probably going to be good, but Joss Whedon deserves a 0 for all the trash he has written and directed prior to this film.

Supermallet
05-03-12, 10:20 PM
Trollish troll is trollish.

RoboDad
05-04-12, 01:35 AM
Rats. I won't get to see the movie until tomorrow after all (my son has to work tonight), but at least it will still be in IMAX 3D. So I can't cast my vote yet, but unless there is something cataclysmically wrong, I am pretty confident that I'll be voting 5 stars, if for no other reason than to offset the lame 0 star vote.

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 02:17 AM
Saw it. Loved it. More later.

End credits bit is definitely for die hard comic fans

Draven
05-04-12, 02:47 AM
Just as good the second time. Again, be sure to stay all the way to the end

anomynous
05-04-12, 02:54 AM
Easily best Marvel movie, including all the non Marvel studios movies.

Thanos looked awesome already, and he's probably not even close to completely designed

CaptainMarvel
05-04-12, 03:04 AM
Caught the midnight show: spectacular. Hulk/Rufalo really stole the show... everybody was great though.

Agent Coulson biting it was a bummer... I kept hoping it would turn out he was just an LMD.

Loved all the neat character bits. The pause in the Hulk/Thor fight, with Thor waiting 4-5 seconds for Mjolnir to reach him, and the cheap shot the Hulk took later on were both great.

MasterofDVD
05-04-12, 03:40 AM
Just got in from the IMAX 3D show. I'm an Iron Man geek but it was a tie between Iron Man and Banner/Hulk stealing the show. Iron Man had some great lines but Hulk had 2 amazing little bits that had the crowd losing their minds. The bonus scenes during the credits were both amazing in their own ways.

alfredog1976
05-04-12, 03:40 AM
Such a great ride, Hulk definitely stole the show. No post credits scene, will have to see it again in 2D.

Supermallet
05-04-12, 04:53 AM
Just as good the second time. Again, be sure to stay all the way to the end

Agree. It holds up all the way through. I'm really amazed just how well it turned out. Considering how much I wanted it to be great, it should have been a disaster.

Although this does make me worry about Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises. It's just not possible that all three of these movies could meet my absurdly high expectations. Two at the most.

Why So Blu?
05-04-12, 05:43 AM
Just got home a few minutes ago. Yep, it was pretty badass! Hulk rocked; I wanna give him a hug. It's pretty amazing how much personality he had (Ruffalo) that came through to big green guy. It was also cool to see some primal nuances - there were times where he would stand like a big ape with his knuckles dragging the ground and whatnot.

It's taken how many films now, to get these characters right? I think they succeeded in fleshing them out even more. Thor got to be the badass he always was and Loki really got to shine.

Anyways, I'll be seeing it again on Sunday. BTW, who was the new SHIELD babe in black with the short black hair? She made an impression *nerd boner*

The Bus
05-04-12, 06:03 AM
<b>The Avengers</b> should appear in IMDB's Top 250 shortly. Right now it would land firmly in the Top 10.

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 06:45 AM
My vote: 3 1/2 Stars

I enjoyed The Avengers, but my vote represents what I think of it as a film overall and not just as a comic book film. After spending the day watching Marvel films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, IM2, Thor, Capt. America, then Avengers), I was definitely in the right mindset for the film, but it felt somewhat too perfunctory for me.

Whedon was definitely playing it up for the fanboy crowd and there is nothing wrong with a little fan service, but at times I felt it was a bit much (as if the comic-con masses needed a LOTR reference thrown in). The story was good enough to get invested in (unlike Thor, which I saw for the 1st time yesterday and felt completely underwhelmed by), but didn't really elevate above the standard comic book narratives I've come to expect.

The good though is that while the film does not elevate above its genre, it colors quite well within the lines. Whedon's large scale action scenes were wonderfully coherent as they maintained Bay-like scale, but with non-Bay like respect for spatial relationships. Other than a few sloppy in tight hand to hand combat sequences, Whedon did a great job (moreso than Nolan) with the action sequences. And as others have said, Hulk steals the film as he provides the bulk of the humor (slapstick from Hulk and wit from Banner) that I went in expecting to come from Iron Man (wit). The expansion of the Loki character was a vast improvement on what was an under-utilization of talent in Thor as The Avengers ups both the menace and petulance of Loki to great effect.

Overall, a very good comic book movie and one of the best of the Marvel/Avengers series of films (I really look forward to the next Hulk movie) with two fun after credit sequences. I'm sure I will wind up expanding on my opinion of the film via in-thread discussion or if anything else comes to me (these are my initial impressions after 4 hours of sleep post-screening).

Also, does anyone know why Ralph Macchio got a Special Thanks credit?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-04-12, 07:08 AM

Ralph Macchio the longtime editor at Marvel Comics, not Ralph Macchio the Karate Kid.

TGM
05-04-12, 07:09 AM

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/05/08/why-is-ralph-macchio-thanked-in-the-thor-credits/

same name, different guy.

The Infidel
05-04-12, 07:20 AM
BTW, who was the new SHIELD babe in black with the short black hair? She made an impression *nerd boner*
That was Cobie Smulders from How I Met Your Mother, if I'm not mistaken.

Osiris3657
05-04-12, 07:20 AM
Will be seeing this today, looking forward to it.

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 07:51 AM
Ralph Macchio the longtime editor at Marvel Comics, not Ralph Macchio the Karate Kid.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/05/08/why-is-ralph-macchio-thanked-in-the-thor-credits/

same name, different guy.

Ah, thanks. I'm weirdly let down by this. I was hoping they were thanking the other Ralph Macchio for being the best around.

kgrogers1979
05-04-12, 09:02 AM
Ralph Macchio has been an editor at Marvel since the early 1980s and people still think he is the Karate Kid actor. :lol:

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 09:47 AM
I thought the Thanos scene at the end was the only bonus scene. What was the other? I intend to see this again ASAP, so don't worry too much about spoiling. :D

Also, did anyone else get the vibe that Black Widow and Hawkeye were more than teammates/friends at one point in their lives? I really liked Widow's scene with Loki (save for one too many butt shots of Scarlett, one was okay, but the second one almost had the men in my audience howling); nice to give a nod to the fact that she wasn't always a nice person and quite ruthless in her own right /

Draven
05-04-12, 09:54 AM
I thought the Thanos scene at the end was the only bonus scene. What was the other? I intend to see this again ASAP, so don't worry too much about spoiling. :D

You did what I did. I didn't know there were two the first time I saw it. Which is the main reason I went back last night :)

The Avengers are all sitting around a table in a restaurant that's being cleaned up. They are still in their uniforms (Banner is in human form) and it's obviously post-battle. It's probably the Shawarma place Tony mentioned. Anyway, there's no dialogue....they're just eating and kind of staring off into space...obviously tired. Captain America isn't eating. It goes on for so long, it circles back around from being weird to funny.

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 09:59 AM
You did what I did. I didn't know there were two the first time I saw it. Which is the main reason I went back last night :)

The Avengers are all sitting around a table in a restaurant that's being cleaned up. They are still in their uniforms (Banner is in human form) and it's obviously post-battle. It's probably the Shawarma place Tony mentioned. Anyway, there's no dialogue....they're just eating and kind of staring off into space...obviously tired. Captain America isn't eating. It goes on for so long, it circles back around from being weird to funny.

That actually sounds like it work as a teaser for the sequel. ;)

Gunde
05-04-12, 10:07 AM
My vote: 3 1/2 Stars
Thanks for the honest review without knee-jerk Whedon gushing and comic book nerdgasm :up:

Greg MacGuffin
05-04-12, 10:07 AM
ah, thanks. I'm weirdly let down by this. I was hoping they were thanking the other ralph macchio for being the best around.

no one's ever gonna keep him down!

Save Ferris
05-04-12, 10:23 AM

That second bonus sequence was awesome, don't forget
They were all so 'present as characters' while doing so little at all. Thor was chowing down, Cap was exhausted, Widow was like it was another days work, Iron Man was subtly bursting at the seams to have pals 'being normal', and banner looked up, thought of something and laughed to himself, then went back to eating. I have to think the actors themselves ad libbed this scene and nailed it perfectly.

Patman
05-04-12, 10:30 AM
Having seen most of Joss Whedon's TV and film output (all of Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse, as well as Serenity), I'm pretty familiar with Whedon's quippy dialogue cadence, and his dramatic storytelling tropes, so as populist entertainment, "The Avengers" succeeds as a 140-minute thrilling roller-coaster ride for the comic book nerds, while also being accessible to the general public. In fact, it's almost a love letter to comic book nerds in how the plot unfolds, and produces match-ups between the heroes in a way to vetting one another before they are tasked with the avenging in an effort to protect Earth from being subjugated by a Loki-led army for a would-be alien conqueror (Annihilus/the Other?), as Loki hunts down the Tesseract (the Cosmic Cube that is being studied as a plentiful, clean energy source referenced from the previous "Thor" film).

I found some of the fight action to be influenced heavily by WWE, but still immensely fun and entertaining. The tough part of the script was juggling so many characters, and still finding ways for each character to shine, and Whedon's script does a good job in that respect, while still maintaining good pacing overall. Even when there were spots where the story could have bogged down, we get some nice bits of dialogue that diffuses the tension with laughs. The characters are shown to know of the weaknesses and foibles of one another, but still find enough common ground to coalesce into working in a ad hoc team environment as the threats to mankind's future survival continue to manifest themselves.

The film succeeds in giving the audience what it wants, but it's not a sophisticated piece of storytelling in terms of plot structure, and a lot of the second unit action rates a tad below what a James Cameron would produce, but the action is so fast and furious, you don't have a lot of time to dwell on the minor shortcomings of spatial dynamics in how the action sequences develop. The action scenes have somewhat of a Michael Bay quality to them, but with better purpose in serving the story, and providing some dramatic tension in the final act of the film with the heroes scrambling to stem the tide of a flying army coming through the inter-spatial portal, thanks to Loki's actions.

The film's script is loaded with nuggets of character interactions which produce laughs and the fight action produced cheers and shock (in the vein of "Whoa! Did you just see that? Dayum..." The film gains momentum through its running time, though the opening act was good at setting the table, but I wasn't quite feeling it until the early middle of the film, and the film concludes well in providing plenty of menace and mayhem, and also finding small ways to address thread of character development.

You will be entertained by this film, no "ands, ifs or buts" about it. On that level, it hits the mark. I did see it in 3D, but I don't think it really adds much to its overall presentation, so seeing in in 2D should suffice if you aren't crazy about 3D anyhow.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+ (will take in another viewing, but on IMAX, as my comic book friends want to see it on IMAX the next time just for all the fight scenes).

P.S., yes, stay for 2 additional scenes in the end credits, one comes right after the spotlighted actor credits, and the other one (so hilariously on-point) comes at the very end of the credits.

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 10:30 AM
That second bonus sequence was awesome, don't forget
They were all so 'present as characters' while doing so little at all. Thor was chowing down, Cap was exhausted, Widow was like it was another days work, Iron Man was subtly bursting at the seams to have pals 'being normal', and banner looked up, thought of something and laughed to himself, then went back to eating. I have to think the actors themselves ad libbed this scene and nailed it perfectly.

Agreed about its subtle effectiveness. Didn't they film it like 2 weeks ago or something? I only knew about it b/c I saw an article online yesterday how North America was getting a new 2nd credits scene that was not included when the film premiered in Europe.

Why So Blu?
05-04-12, 10:31 AM
That was Cobie Smulders from How I Met Your Mother, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd like to butter her muffin.

Ash Ketchum
05-04-12, 10:38 AM
A.O. Scott in The New York Times gave it a mixed-to-negative review:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/movies/robert-downey-jr-in-the-avengers-directed-by-joss-whedon.html?ref=arts

Here's a quote:

...while “The Avengers” is hardly worth raging about, its failures are significant and dispiriting. The light, amusing bits cannot overcome the grinding, hectic emptiness, the bloated cynicism that is less a shortcoming of this particular film than a feature of the genre. Mr. Whedon’s playful, democratic pop sensibility is no match for the glowering authoritarianism that now defines Hollywood’s comic-book universe. Some of the rebel spirit of Mr. Whedon’s early projects “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Firefly” and “Serenity” creeps in around the edges but as detail and decoration rather than as the animating ethos.

Karina Longworth in The Village Voice gave it a mixed-to-negative review:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-05-02/film/superheroes-bump-superegos-in-joss-whedon-s-all-star-avengers/

Here's a quote:

As daring as it might seem for the biggest superhero movie ever to turn the action knob way down for an hour so that its actors can do some acting, the actual material they're given is as programmatic as a bad culture-clash rom-com, transparently meant to tear our heroes apart just so they can come back together....

Writer/director Whedon first showed his incredible talent for long-form storytelling in TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, infusing the fantastic with slowly built, genuinely relatable emotion. On The Avengers' comparatively minute canvas of two and a half hours, Whedon effectively creates a sketch of a working universe and tells us that his characters are emotionally damaged but doesn't explore that damage in any substantive way. The most Whedon-esque parts of the script are the flippant wisecracks—self-satisfied, self-deprecating, or somehow both—that the fucked-up superheroes toss off as knee-jerk self-defense in life-or-death situations. What worked as the cool diffusion of stakes in Buffy here underlines the lack of suspense to the mission: We never get the sense that any of the heroes might not survive to snark again.

anomynous
05-04-12, 10:51 AM
"Tells us they're emotionally damaged but doesn't explore it"

Because the solo films and their sequels didn't/won't do that.

Mr. Cinema
05-04-12, 10:53 AM
Early reports are the midnight earnings were between $18-$20 million. It's reached $300 million internationally.

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 11:06 AM
"Tells us they're emotionally damaged but doesn't explore it"

Because the solo films and their sequels didn't/won't do that.

That line stuck out to me as well. But, it is a valid criticism if you set out to critique the film on its own merits. While it is the nature of comic book movies (and most Hollywood fare these days) to expect audiences to come into them with built-in knowledge either from previous films or the adapted source of the film, I will not begrudge a critic for stating something that is actually true. I will fault them for not contextualizing that truth so that the criticism is not more fully explained and tempered.

If you want any character background though, you will need to watch the previous films and possibly later films (in case they ever expand on the Black Widow and Hawkeye allusions).

This is an interesting area though as these comic book genre films become more plentiful and akin to comic books themselves. Generally, it has always been fair and easy to take films on their own terms (even the majority of sequels), but comic books create entire universes, something that has generally not been done in film before. Should be interesting to see how wide this goes...The Avengers is a culmination of 5 films...as things get bigger I wonder how many films one will need to see before a single film akin to The Avengers is a wholly satisfying experience.

GCS
05-04-12, 11:14 AM
Yes but sometimes people just want to be entertained and that's exactly what movies like this, transformers, expendables etc are meant to do.

This is my issue with a lot of critics.

tylergfoster
05-04-12, 11:18 AM
Yes but sometimes people just want to be entertained and that's exactly what movies like this, transformers, expendables etc are meant to do.

This is my issue with a lot of critics.Yes, but any excuse that covers any and all criticisms is not a good excuse. Some drivers just want to go from point A to point B, who cares if they hit a bunch of things along the way?

It also suggests that I, as a critic, somehow don't just want to be entertained.

Double_Oh_7
05-04-12, 11:30 AM
I'd like to butter her muffin.

Too late. She's engaged to SNL's Taran Killam.

Draven
05-04-12, 11:36 AM
If you want any character background though, you will need to watch the previous films and possibly later films (in case they ever expand on the Black Widow and Hawkeye allusions).

My argument would be that there is actually a lot of implied information about Black Widow in particular in the movie but it's somewhat subtle. There aren't a bunch of flashbacks spelling everything out. But you can sense there is some history there.

I've read reviews that say Black Widow had nothing to do. Having now seen The Avengers twice, I simply don't understand how anyone could say that. I think sometimes critics say things definitively that aren't as clear-cut, or show they missed the subtext or were unwilling to do anything but think "It's a comic book movie...of course it's shallow."

Plus this type of story is tricky - they basically had to figure out a way to quickly tell 6 origin stories efficiently. So yes, we didn't dive into the psyche of Tony Stark but we got a real sense of why he does what he does. If you want major character development, that's what Iron Man is for. It is more like an actual comic book, where issue #1 of the solo book probably has more about the character than issue #1 of the book where that character is just a member of the team.

It might be just a line or two, but there is a LOT more to this movie than "guys in tights fight aliens". Maybe some of these critics don't enjoy this type of movie and that's fine. But dinging them for not adequately exploring the "emotional damage" of arguably 9 main characters when all of those characters do have SOME moment of introspection and character development, however brief, is unfair IMHO.

Schloob1
05-04-12, 12:13 PM
Too late. She's engaged to SNL's Taran Killam.

So you're actually saying he still has a shot :)

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 12:39 PM
My argument would be that there is actually a lot of implied information about Black Widow in particular in the movie but it's somewhat subtle. There aren't a bunch of flashbacks spelling everything out. But you can sense there is some history there.

I've read reviews that say Black Widow had nothing to do. Having now seen The Avengers twice, I simply don't understand how anyone could say that. I think sometimes critics say things definitively that aren't as clear-cut, or show they missed the subtext or were unwilling to do anything but think "It's a comic book movie...of course it's shallow."

Regarding Black Widow, other than conquering bad guys between her thighs (not nearly what it sounds like), she has never had much to do other than keep her uniform top unzipped just low enough for a PG-13.

Not really her fault, if you put a glorified female MMA fighter against Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, or the Hulk...then they won't have much to do except run. Any time she interacts with any of the major characters (battles of wits included), she comes up short. As for the allusions to her past, I wouldn't say they implied much other than your standard gun for hire "I saw some things. I did some things." stuff. The only twist being that it is a woman.

I agree with you about the films being more like actual comic books now though. I am looking forward to see how far they take it in crafting full universes before rebooting back to the origin story.

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 12:45 PM
I tend to notice a lot of the "upper crust" critics from New York tend to give negative reviews to a lot of studio fare. I used to subscribe to the New Yorker and recollect that critic giving negative reviews to both the first Iron Man and The Dark Knight. I cannot help but wonder if that is their true opinion, or if they are trying to write to whom they feel are their readers.

Cardiac161
05-04-12, 12:46 PM
So you're actually saying he still has a shot :)

If you count out the other fact that they just had a kid together...

BambooLounge
05-04-12, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty disappointed Samuel L. Jackson went this route. I know he is a fanboy himself in many ways, but I would've thought something this juvenile was below him...and for a movie that doesn't even need the press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/samuel-l-jackson-avengers_n_1475237.html

Kal-El
05-04-12, 01:00 PM
I absolutely loved it. And I'm no Marvel fan by any means. I only know the characters' names and their respective abilities and didn't even know about Hawkeye 'til the Thor movie. I'm one of those people who've never seen Serenity or Firely and don't get all the fanboy hard on for Whedon. But I digress. I absolutely loved this movie.

The pacing, dialogue, action, sfx...amazing. My theater missed a lot of the other punchlines because we were still howling over the previous line of dialogue. One of which was "Puny god.".Everyone was just cheering after what the Hulk did.

2 of my absolute favorite moments though would be:

- when Banner nonchalantly says, "that's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry." then changes to the Hulk and brings down that flying monster with one punch.
- that tracking shot going thru each Avenger team-up especially when Iron Man shot his repulsor beam at Cap's shield to hit one of the Chiaturi

I've been playing back those two scenes in my head this whole morning.

Between the high from seeing the movie last night to the excitement of going to Hawaii on Sunday, I'm surprised I'm still able to do some work today. Haha

How was everyone else's midnight screening? We had a Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Captain America, 2 Tony Starks, Pepper Potts and Nick Fury. When they let us in the theater, they all went to the front and people took pictures with them. It was a great crowd. I loved the energy and everyone was behaved throughout the movie. Expendables 2 trailer got a rousing welcome especially with the Churck Norris and Ahnuld scenes.

RichC2
05-04-12, 01:11 PM
I tend to notice a lot of the "upper crust" critics from New York tend to give negative reviews to a lot of studio fare. I used to subscribe to the New Yorker and recollect that critic giving negative reviews to both the first Iron Man and The Dark Knight. I cannot help but wonder if that is their true opinion, or if they are trying to write to whom they feel are their readers.

Their reviews are usually sincere enough, they just have different tastes. I know numerous people that were simply bored by The Dark Knight, and quite a few that shrugged off Iron Man.

superdeluxe
05-04-12, 01:23 PM
Early reports are the midnight earnings were between $18-$20 million. It's reached $300 million internationally.

Huge Numbers, Comic Book movies don't generally have that huge of a Midnight crowd.

Reports that it might hit 165 million + this weekend and taking OW record.

islandclaws
05-04-12, 01:47 PM
Solid 4 1/2 stars. Loved it.

I got sucked into the hype and decided to hit up a midnight screening with my chick. We got there at around 10:30pm, and the 2D line had around 150-200 people in it.

The 3D showing to the left? Around 15, so I paid $8 to upgrade simply because I'd be guaranteed a great seat.

Seeing a film like this with the right crowd makes it infinitely more enjoyable, and last night proved it. People were eating it up like The Stuff.

Joss totally nailed it all across the board. Everyone gets their moments to shine. The dialogue all felt organic to the characters.

The action owned. I wanted more Hulk! It was great to see each individual's strengths used to the advantage of the team.

Speaking of Hulk, what did he say after he pummeled Loki? My theater was laughing so hard after that beatdown we all missed it.

I don't know what people are complaining about by saying the opening was weak, or that the middle sagged. I was enthralled the entire time; nothing was bumming me out.

And as for the 3D? Well, I normally avoid a 3D film like it's going to give me AIDS (moreso when it's a post- job), but it looked really, really good here. No kidding. I thought it was some of the best I've seen since Avatar. I'm sure the film is perfectly fine in 2D, but I can't deny that it added some nice depth to the field.

Can't wait to see it again. All summer movies should be this much fun.

Draven
05-04-12, 01:54 PM
Speaking of Hulk, what did he say after he pummeled Loki? My theater was laughing so hard after that beatdown we all missed it.

"Puny god"

islandclaws
05-04-12, 02:02 PM
"Puny god"

Thanks. I wish he'd talked a little more, but his actions were already killing it as it is.

Mr. Cinema
05-04-12, 02:07 PM
Huge Numbers, Comic Book movies don't generally have that huge of a Midnight crowd.

Reports that it might hit 165 million + this weekend and taking OW record.
Looks like $18.7 million for midnight. That's a record for a super hero movie and #8 all-time. I think $150 million is a safe guess, but more is possible. One of my theaters here has 19 showings.

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 02:12 PM
I want to take in a 2D showing for my second experience, but the stupid theaters here have it in a VERY limited availability (i.e. one screen vs. three or four for 3D). I swear, I think this is a conspiracy .

Osiris3657
05-04-12, 02:15 PM
Just got back from this, really enjoyed it. Was funnier than I anticipated (funny in an intentional way). Great action, it was thrilling to see all the big names fighting together.

I knew there was a scene after the credits so I went to the bathroom thinking I'd make it back in time for the scene (didn't), so can someone spoiler it for me?

superdeluxe
05-04-12, 02:19 PM
Looks like $18.7 million for midnight. That's a record for a super hero movie and #8 all-time. I think $150 million is a safe guess, but more is possible. One of my theaters here has 19 showings.

Boxoffice predicted 172, BOM had 165

islandclaws
05-04-12, 02:20 PM
I knew there was a scene after the credits so I went to the bathroom thinking I'd make it back in time for the scene (didn't), so can someone spoiler it for me?

Just go back a page or two and about a dozen people have all chimed in on it.

boredsilly
05-04-12, 02:37 PM
I liked the movie, but didn't love it. I would give it an enthusiastic 3.5 stars.

I felt like the movie dragged in stretches, but I did feel like the characters all got their fair share of screen time. Loki as a threat worked well, but that character, with his videogame army, lacked any sense of real threat. If anything, the Hulk was treated as the scariest character in this movie. For my money, Iron Man 1 is still the best Marvel movie, but it is a feat and a half that this Avengers movie came together so well and wasn't a complete mess.

But coming out of it all I want now is a Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie. I LOVED how they treated Hulk/Bruce Banner in this, and feel like there is still stuff to say with that character as an individual movie, so I hope I get that. I actually want that more than another Avengers movie.

Also, I was not mad at the ScarJo butt shots. That woman...damn.

Mr. Cinema
05-04-12, 02:59 PM
One of the Marvel execs stated recently that the feedback they get from the Hulk, along with merchandise sales, etc. will determine whether or not they revisit another standalone film. But if they get enough positive support from all of that, then 2015 might be when we see a Ruffalo version. He was on Jimmy Fallon this week promoting the movie and had mentioned Marvel was hesitant to do another Hulk movie.

But it sounds like they've done a great job with the character this time. I'd like to see another film.

islandclaws
05-04-12, 03:16 PM
If they do another Hulk, it needs to be vastly different from the last two. I don't know the character well enough to say how, but it needs to be... different.

Also, almost forgot - Harry Dean Stanton! Great to see him pop up in a minor role.

Solid Snake
05-04-12, 03:52 PM
Just saw the film. FUCKING AWESOME.

classic superhero team plot....and it works in Live Action. Very funny as well. Just worked like crazy. Biggest surprise in the whole film was Harry Dean Stanton actually. It was a lot fun. Just very surprised. Very surprised at how the drama felt well...real.

my only complaint...which isn't a bad thing..it's just a personal thing:
Hulk didn't really speak. How fucking hard is it for him to just talk like in the comics?!

I did love the 3rd act. Was just a lot of fun and great humor.

Ash Ketchum
05-04-12, 04:03 PM
Harry Dean Stanton!? Now, I wanna see it. :banana:

(Now, why isn't he in EXPENDABLES 2? He could take the Mickey Rourke role!)

nando820
05-04-12, 04:06 PM
DAmnn I havent' seen it yet, I but knew it!, once i heard Ruffalo was gonna be Hulk, I knew he would be perfect for it. I might have said it here before...

matrixrok9
05-04-12, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty disappointed Samuel L. Jackson went this route. I know he is a fanboy himself in many ways, but I would've thought something this juvenile was below him...and for a movie that doesn't even need the press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/samuel-l-jackson-avengers_n_1475237.html

I've met Sam Jackson before. I was really excited to see him because I enjoyed his movies. It was just him and his friend walking by, no one else. I told him I loved his work and asked for a picture. He cussed me out and told his friend he doesn't get respect from strangers and kept on bitching.

I was really surprised because I thought he'd be one of the coolest celebs, turns out he's a diva. Sure, people are going to say that's what I get for asking for a pic but there wasn't anybody around and he could've politely said no.

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 04:29 PM
I've met Sam Jackson before. I was really excited to see him because I enjoyed his movies. It was just him and his friend walking by, no one else. I told him I loved his work and asked for a picture. He cussed me out and told his friend he doesn't get respect from strangers and kept on bitching.

I was really surprised because I thought he'd be one of the coolest celebs, turns out he's a diva. Sure, people are going to say that's what I get for asking for a pic but there wasn't anybody around and he could've politely said no.

That's sad to hear. :( Then again, any man that would talk enthusiastically about a movie like Attack of Clones obviously isn't as cool as he thinks.

joe_b
05-04-12, 04:58 PM
The house was packed at the showing I went to this afternoon. There were plenty of kids with their parents. Since playing hooky is wrong, I'm guessing these tykes are all home schooled. ;)

Really enjoyed it, but not quite as much as I was hoping. I felt the invasion plot was a bit "meh", especially since I had no knowledge of these guys from the comics. Our heroes were all on point and there were some priceless exchanges between them, but by the end I couldn't help but feel that they functioned more as a unit then they did as friends. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be, but hopefully the inner relationships of the team will get juicer in the sequel. I know Whedon can build on this and make it even better if he's given the chance. Still, good summer entertainment.

Speaking of Whedon, I had the displeasure of having an extremely excited fangirl and her husband sitting in the row in front of me. She applauded loudly when his credit came on screen. I adore the man's work and understood her enthusiasm. However, I felt tempted to kick the back of her chair because she had been doing the same exact thing during every other line throughout the entire f*ing movie.
"Flying monkeys. I get that reference." *applause*
"We have a Hulk." *applause*
"Thank you for your cooperation." *applause*
Literally, I wanted to tell her to cut that shit out. It's one thing to get into the spirit of a film with an audience (Hulk flinging Loki around like a rag doll brought down the house), but this chick was just being inconsiderate and really took me out of the movie.

By the way, did anyone else notice little Ashley Johnson from Growning Pains all grown up as the lady on TV praising Captain America. :thumbsup:

Supermallet
05-04-12, 04:58 PM

"Mace Windu is trying to take the food off our table." :lol:

Biggest surprise in the whole film was Harry Dean Stanton actually.

"Son, you got a condition."

Patman
05-04-12, 05:14 PM
By the way, did anyone else notice little Ashley Johnson from Growning Pains all grown up as the lady on TV praising Captain America. :thumbsup:

I did!

Big Boy Laroux
05-04-12, 05:20 PM
I really liked it. Probably 4.5 stars.

- great distribution of screentime. I thought black widow was going to have nothing to do, but even she had some cool scenes.
- very funny. One-liners were flowing, but not roll-your-eyes type. Of course Downey was great, he has owned that role. But even the stoic guys had some good ones (Thor - "he's adopted"; Cap - "I got that reference" both got big laughs from me and the audience), and hulk had some very good physical comedy moments.
- speaking of hulk, he stole the show. Ruffalo was great, but the hulk action sequences and effects (and humor as mentioned above) were tremendous. I'm debating on whether I want a full ruffalo hulk movie, though. I felt he worked well because it was smaller doses and he had other characters to play off of.
- Loki was great again. Mousy guy, but he pulls off ominous well.
- Loved how they did Hawkeye's quiver - not a huge enough comic fan to know if that was invented for the movie or not, but the tech was cool.
- weakest part of the movie was Sam Jackson. His delivery is awkward at times. Sam J. Being Sam J.
- love agent coulson.
- I never had a chance to see the cap movie, so let me say that I loved Evans as cap. That has the potential to be a boring character, but he plays him with a nobility (and slight touch of fish-out-of-water) that exudes Cap.

I'll probably think of other things to comment on, but that's my initial report.

And dammit I missed the second post-credit scene.

The Bus
05-04-12, 05:31 PM
I always avoid NYT reviews because they invariably have a spoiler or two.

joe_b
05-04-12, 05:34 PM
I was really surprised because I thought he'd be one of the coolest celebs, turns out he's a diva. Sure, people are going to say that's what I get for asking for a pic but there wasn't anybody around and he could've politely said no.I wouldn't say you were out of line. If he was eating in a restaurant, sure. But it's the price of fame. Sucks to hear he's like that, but it doesn't really surprise me.

BTW, I do find Sam Jackson pretty damn wooden as Nick Fury. Almost as stiff as his portrayal of Mace Windu. He just seems out of his depth when playing stoic hero roles.

Big Boy Laroux
05-04-12, 05:43 PM
BTW, I do find Sam Jackson pretty damn wooden as Nick Fury. Almost as stiff as his portrayal of Mace Windu. He just seems out of his depth when playing stoic hero roles.

Agree completely - I commented similarly about 2 posts above yours.

Strevlac
05-04-12, 06:02 PM

They tend to be grown-ups with a modicum of sophistication.

kgrogers1979
05-04-12, 06:08 PM
Grown-ups with a modicum of sophistication tend to be boring as hell. Reading The Wall Street Journal is a fun time for them. They wouldn't know how to have fun if it came up and bit them on the ass.

Strevlac
05-04-12, 06:10 PM
Grown-ups with a modicum of sophistication tend to be boring as hell. Reading The Wall Street Journal is a fun time for them. They wouldn't know how to have fun if it came up and bit them on the ass.

You forgot the hookers and blow.

I guess you're right, better to be a man-child forever.

kgrogers1979
05-04-12, 06:21 PM
You forgot the hookers and blow.

I guess you're right, better to be a man-child forever.

Just because you read comics as an adult doesn't mean you are an immature man-child. You can still be a comic-reading adult and have a solid career and responsibilities.

Mondo Kane
05-04-12, 06:38 PM
Loved it. Only issues I had were a bit of pacing problems during the non-action moments in the middle act and, regarding the climax,
the overused "Kill-the-mothership-and-everything-will-shut-down" solution (I just would've been fine with closing the portal)
Hulk was certainly fun, but I actually wanted him to be more mindless and to not realize (At least, to some extent) that he had allies.

No other complaints whatsoever.
Loved the character introductions.
Loved Tony's lines (Especially towards Thor)
Loved Ruffalo's Banner (Couldn't be more happier for the continuing positive feedback he's getting) and more was given to Hawkeye and Widow than I expected.
Cap and Loki REALLY got much more love from me here than in their last appearances in previous Marvel movies....Having said that, I might as well throw Widow in there too.

And regarding my fanboy moments:
Loved the image of the bloody trading cards :(
Seeing/Hearing Cap, as team leader, giving instructions to civilians,cops,and Teammates

Bummer that I wasn't able to spot the ever lovely Jenny Agutter in this. When her name popped up at the end credits, I let out an audible, "Huh?". Come to find out she played one of those council members---Hidden in the dark. (At least Powers Booth got some light)

Lastly, though this is only the 3rd 3-D movie I've seen (All 3 have been post-converted, BTW) this is easily the best 3-D job I've yet to experience in a theater (Just for the last half hour alone)

Can't wait to own this sucker!

Why So Blu?
05-04-12, 06:44 PM
It was also great to see Powers Boothe as one of the mysterious council members.

Supermallet
05-04-12, 06:58 PM
When I saw Jenny Agutter's name in the credits I knew she had to be one of the council members. It was the only thing that made sense.

yoshimi
05-04-12, 07:01 PM
I really loved it. It was even more fun than I was expecting it to be. I wish Whedon would have gotten to direct his Batman after seeing this. Perhaps they wouldn't be such shitty movies.

Why So Blu?
05-04-12, 07:09 PM
I really loved it. It was even more fun than I was expecting it to be. I wish Whedon would have gotten to direct his Batman after seeing this. Perhaps they wouldn't be such shitty movies.

Because Nolan's Batman films are shitty? GTFO.

joe_b
05-04-12, 07:09 PM
When I saw Jenny Agutter's name in the credits I knew she had to be one of the council members. It was the only thing that made sense.I was surprised to see that was her. I just watched her in Walkabout the other day -- what a great film. The most recent thing I'd seen her in was Child's Play 2 and I never would have realized she was one of the council members.

yoshimi
05-04-12, 07:18 PM
Because Nolan's Batman films are shitty? GTFO.

The Dark Knight is. Just my opinion of course.

Dr. DVD
05-04-12, 08:25 PM
I was surprised to see that was her. I just watched her in Walkabout the other day -- what a great film. The most recent thing I'd seen her in was Child's Play 2 and I never would have realized she was one of the council members.

To me she'll always be the nurse who banged David Kessler in American Werewolf in London. :drool: Unfortunately, she no longer looks that way. :(

Super X
05-04-12, 08:31 PM
When I saw Jenny Agutter's name in the credits I knew she had to be one of the council members. It was the only thing that made sense.

I recognized both her and Powers Boothe immediately. I kept looking at the other two to see if they were played by cool actors from back in the day, as well.

Great film, BTW. A lot of filmmakers might have gone with cookie-cutter characterizations and played the film for the action, but the characters and their interplay were really the strength of the film.

Solid Snake
05-04-12, 08:35 PM
Powers I noticed fucking immediately. That shape of his head and the voice...always makes him stand out.

Super X
05-04-12, 08:36 PM
To me she'll always be the nurse who banged David Kessler in American Werewolf in London. :drool: Unfortunately, she no longer looks that way. :(

I'll always think of her as Jessica 6 from "Logan's Run":

http://thecineasteslament.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/jenny-agutter.jpg

Ash Ketchum
05-04-12, 08:48 PM
I recognized both her and Powers Boothe immediately. I kept looking at the other two to see if they were played by cool actors from back in the day, as well.

Great film, BTW. A lot of filmmakers might have gone with cookie-cutter characterizations and played the film for the action, but the characters and their interplay were really the strength of the film.

Powers Boothe AND Harry Dean Stanton???!!!!! This keeps getting better and better. I feel like rushing out right now to see it! How come none of the reviews mention these actors?

joe_b
05-04-12, 09:41 PM
How come none of the reviews mention these actors?
They are all very small cameos. The council members only appear briefly on moniters and are veiled in shadows, so most folks (myself inculded) didn't even realize who played them. HDS has a much more memorable cameo that took me by surprise. That dude rules. :D

musick
05-04-12, 10:42 PM
I had read that cinematographer Seamus McGarvey and Whedon agreed on 1.85:1 because a) the vastly different heights of the characters, and b) the battle around New York's skyscrapers, with fighting at several different elevations, would look better with a "taller" image.

I'm quite surprised at all the times the actors' heads were getting chopped by the top of the frame. Can't blame the projectionist there - first off, it was digital, and second, I was the projectionist!

well you weren't the projectionist at the theater I saw it at as the top of the frame was chopped off and the subtitles were not readable in the two scenes with them

that said what a Mighty movie

Supermallet
05-04-12, 10:46 PM

To me she'll always be the girl who gets shagged in a horse stable in Equus.

musick
05-04-12, 10:58 PM
But coming out of it all I want now is a Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie. I LOVED how they treated Hulk/Bruce Banner in this, and feel like there is still stuff to say with that character as an individual movie, so I hope I get that. I actually want that more than another Avengers movie.

One of the Marvel execs stated recently that the feedback they get from the Hulk, along with merchandise sales, etc. will determine whether or not they revisit another standalone film. But if they get enough positive support from all of that, then 2015 might be when we see a Ruffalo version. He was on Jimmy Fallon this week promoting the movie and had mentioned Marvel was hesitant to do another Hulk movie.

But it sounds like they've done a great job with the character this time. I'd like to see another film.

If they do another Hulk, it needs to be vastly different from the last two. I don't know the character well enough to say how, but it needs to be... different.

someone said it elsewhere and I'll agree ... The Avengers was/is a perfect avenue for The Hulk .... he works better as part of an ensemble cast than having to carry a movie alone .... I'd much rather the character be saved for cameo appearances in future sequels to the characters we've had movies by (IM, Cap, Thor) or just save him for the next Avengers movie

...... or Defenders :D

superfro
05-04-12, 11:16 PM
"mewling quim."

Amazing. :lol:

RoboDad
05-04-12, 11:20 PM
Just got back, and I loved every single frame of this movie. Saw it in IMAX 3D, and I can't wait to see it again, though probably in 2D next time.

Sorry to the Nolanites, but for me this is already the best of the year.

Oh and BTW, I (and everyone else in the packed audience - NOBODY left early) loved the bonus scene after the credits. :lol:

Mike86
05-04-12, 11:22 PM
I really enjoyed this a lot. A fun movie with a good amount of action and even with the amount of characters involved everyone got their fair amount of screen time. Definitely will have to see it again a time or two more.

Mondo Kane
05-04-12, 11:48 PM
... The Avengers was/is a perfect avenue for The Hulk .... he works better as part of an ensemble cast than having to carry a movie alone ....

Yeah, it certainly was a different experience to see Hulk/Banner in a movie with no Betty Ross around!

Any applause in your guys' showing? The crowd I watched it with were quite...Loki :rimshot: but there were a bunch of claps when a certain sequence occurs to the sounds of AC/DC.
BIG laughs with Hulk's smackdowns (As was evident in the last few pages of this thread, Hulk's line will mostly likely be drowned out by the crowds 80% of the time)

And there was one sound effect that faked me out. Right as the famous 360 shot of the team reaches it's end, I thought I heard members of the crowd beginning to slowly roar at the approval of this sight. But as the scene plays out, it's clear that the sound is just The Chitauri. Great job by the sound guys here---Even if it wasn't intentional.

anomynous
05-04-12, 11:53 PM
I love people on the blu-ray.com forums Think it was Red Skull in the credits and are trying to argue their case

superfro
05-04-12, 11:53 PM
Any applause in your guys' showing? The crowd I watched it with were quite...Loki :rimshot: but there were a bunch of claps when a certain sequence occurs to the sounds of AC/DC.

The crowd I saw it with this afternoon was full and were laughing their asses off, clapping at everything, and cheering all over the place. I wanted to beat the shit out of all of them. ;)

joe_b
05-05-12, 12:02 AM
The Avengers was/is a perfect avenue for The Hulk .... he works better as part of an ensemble cast than having to carry a movie aloneCompletely agree. A set-up like this movie gives the audience an opportunity to have fun with the character without getting bogged down in the pathos and pain Banner goes through in his solo efforts. I'm not saying another Hulk flick wouldn't be welcome, but putting him smack in the middle of the Marvel universe with other characters to support him really made that character shine.

A few more observation I have from the movie: :D

I'm not a big fan of ScarJo's monotone acting and didn't really care for Black Widow in Iron Man 2. I still hate the fact that Emily Blunt was forced to bow out of the role -- but this outing was a significant improvement for the character. The scene between her and Loki was a real highlight because it managed to accomplished a few things. First, it gives us insight (however vague) into her questionable past, her relationship with Hawkeye, as well as revealing Loki's true intentions for Bruce. Hawkeye is a character that non-comic fans have very little interest in, but putting him under the control of the enemy and having Natasha recount her respect and commitment to the guy really helped to create some sympathy and compassion for both those characters. And after seeing their fighting skills in the big climax, I'm now convinced a standalone SHIELD movie could be tailored around the Black Widow/Hawkeye duo and has potential to kick all kinds of ass.

I'm also a bit perplexed about the Selvig character. He seemed to be controlled by Loki in the post-credits scene from Thor. It appeared as though they were setting him up as a sleeper to carry out some terrible plot in this movie. Here, Loki just shows up through the cube and proceeds to possess the same guy we were led to believe he already had influence over. Just found that slightly off. It would also have been a welcome addition if they had a brief scene in Asgard of Heimdall informing Thor of his brother's intentions and Thor pleading his case for a return to Earth to his father. Perhaps unnecessary -- the throwaway line about Odin summoning ancient magic was probably enough. Still, it would have felt less out of left field when that character finally resurfaces after being bound to his own realm at the end of his movie.

My Other Self
05-05-12, 12:24 AM
I attempted to go to tonight but the theater I was going to had the cops there and some fight going on in the lobby so they wouldn't let anybody inside. I'm going to try and catch it tomorrow morning with a light crowd.

gcribbs
05-05-12, 12:33 AM
The movie was great. I must say it matched the hype with me.

Boba Fett
05-05-12, 12:40 AM
I was pleased by the film but not blown away. Scarlett Johansson who was great in a small capacity in IRON MAN 2 seemed way over her head here and the more screen time she took up, the slower the movie moved.

Ruffalo was indeed great and as a huge fan/defender of Bana's take, I can say I was more entertained by the Hulk in this then either of the previous films, so much so, I think Norton's take is even more laughable and pitiful.

I was very pleased by some subtle character development in regards to Stark as well as Rogers, who proved why he's the a born leader.

The biggest surprise was Renner as Hawkeye, I thought the usage of his character initially was a great swerve and was glad to see they brought in the trick arrows.

Last but not least, Hemsworth and Hiddleston were as fantastic as I expected them to be, and I eagerly await a full fledged THOR sequel.

I'd rate it a solid "A," on par with IRON MAN and THOR, but just behind CAPTAIN AMERICA in terms of overall quality.

joe_b
05-05-12, 01:05 AM
I was somewhat surprised that Whedon didn't create a few cameos for his "stock company" players. I only recognized Enver Gjokaj from Dollhouse playing a cop in final battle, but I just saw on IMDb that it was Alexis Denisof (Wesley from Buffy and Angel) playing the hooded alien Loki was scheming with throughout the movie. :thumbsup:

fumanstan
05-05-12, 02:23 AM
And there was one sound effect that faked me out. Right as the famous 360 shot of the team reaches it's end, I thought I heard members of the crowd beginning to slowly roar at the approval of this sight. But as the scene plays out, it's clear that the sound is just The Chitauri. Great job by the sound guys here---Even if it wasn't intentional.

That faked me out too!

I watched a 2D showing today (dislike 3D quite a bit) and this sky rockets to one of my favorite movies in a long, long time already. It was exactly what I hoped for and more, delivering in pretty much every aspect I was worried about.

Every character gets their due and presented properly, the personalities and conflicts are all brought to light, and best of all we actually got to see their team work in battle, with pretty much every character getting time working along side a different one. I thought the weakest characters were going to be Hawkeye and Black Widow, but even they managed to find their usefulness and make themselves standout.

Every scene with the Hulk was amazing, from the initial transformation and first fight with Thor, the initial Hulk Smash line, Hulk punching Thor in the middle of battle, Hulk beating the shit out of Loki in the middle of his little speech, and Hulk scaring Stark alive. All of it was just perfect.

I don't think I have a single bad thing to say about the movie and can't stop gushing. It's a comic fan's dream come true, and they nailed it.

Double_Oh_7
05-05-12, 02:33 AM
I'm not a big fan of ScarJo's monotone acting and didn't really care for Black Widow in Iron Man 2. I still hate the fact that Emily Blunt was forced to bow out of the role -- but this outing was a significant improvement for the character.

I was equally bummed when Blunt had to pass, but now I can't see her doing any of the physical stuff the character requires.

Supermallet
05-05-12, 02:36 AM
I was somewhat surprised that Whedon didn't create a few cameos for his "stock company" players. I only recognized Enver Gjokaj from Dollhouse playing a cop in final battle, but I just saw on IMDb that it was Alexis Denisof (Wesley from Buffy and Angel) playing the hooded alien Loki was scheming with throughout the movie. :thumbsup:

I was surprised as well, given that Cabin In The Woods had several. Guess none of his regular actors were interested in taking a gamble on such an unproven property as this.

Boba Fett
05-05-12, 02:50 AM
I was surprised as well, given that Cabin In The Woods had several. Guess none of his regular actors were interested in taking a gamble on such an unproven property as this.

Or the studio put the kibosh on it.

joe_b
05-05-12, 03:14 AM
^ Actually, I just realized Ashley Johnson had appeared on Dollhouse -- so he managed to squeeze a couple in there. Still, I wouldn't have been opposed to Amy Acker popping up as a sexy hotdog vendor or something. ;)

jdslater1
05-05-12, 04:37 AM
Saw this again yesterday for the second time. Managed to hear jokes and just plain dialogue better this time round.
Just some things I noticed:
They made a fair deal of that waitress. Before her bit to the camera at the end I saw her quite noticably 4 times. Her name is Beth. I remember someone saying that Cap started dating Bettys granddaughter or something?! Could that be her?

In the UK will see only have the 1 extra credit scene.

Fighter pilot "target aqcuired"
starts shooting at The Hulk
Fight piolt "Target angry"

Patman
05-05-12, 04:52 AM
I was equally bummed when Blunt had to pass, but now I can't see her doing any of the physical stuff the character requires.

Blunt appeared to be a decent comtemporary dancer in "The Adjustment Bureau".

joe_b
05-05-12, 07:00 AM
They made a fair deal of that waitress. Before her bit to the camera at the end I saw her quite noticably 4 times. Her name is Beth. I remember someone saying that Cap started dating Bettys granddaughter or something?! Could that be her?You're thinking of Sharon Carter, Peggy's niece. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the actress playing the waitress was Ashley Johnson. I think she's just someone the director is fond of using. She appeared in his last TV series and also has a part in his Much Ado About Nothing adaptation.

I also felt there must have been a reason they kept cutting back to her, but now I think they were just trying to show how Cap was becoming a real inspiration to people.

N2DVD
05-05-12, 07:08 AM
We saw Avengers last night in a nearly sold out theater 2D, and had a great time. Hulk got the biggest laughs, especially in his scene with Thor at Grand Central and then with Loki in Stark's penthouse. NO ONE could hear what Hulk said in that scene because the entire theater erupted.

We are glad we braved the crowds and higher ticket prices for this one.

iggystar
05-05-12, 08:13 AM
2 of my absolute favorite moments though would be:

- when Banner nonchalantly says, "that's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry." then changes to the Hulk and brings down that flying monster with one punch.

That was my favorite line of the movie! And think, I'm a fan of each Hulk movie. Yup, Hulk and The Incredible Hulk both. I expected to enjoy Hulk in this movie, but this treatment went above and beyond. I'm all for another movie featuring, "the other guy".

Caught the midnight show: spectacular. Hulk/Rufalo really stole the show... everybody was great though.

Agent Coulson biting it was a bummer... I kept hoping it would turn out he was just an LMD.

I agree! I'll add:

That really made me sad. He's been there since the first Iron Man in all of the movies, the regular guy agent. I was officially sad about him biting it.

iggystar
05-05-12, 08:20 AM
"mewling quim."

Amazing. :lol:

You know, I didn't specifically know the definition of "quim", however the genius delivery of that line totally clued me in!

One of my favorites!

One weird thing. The theater where I purchased my tickets in advance had theater seating!!!! When I bought the tickets I noticed seat numbers, but assumed they were there just to calculate the number to available seats for that show. When we got there, ushers actually escorted us to our seats! We were told that the first two weeks for a big event movie they do this and noticed several couples ended up rows apart. So strange!

csant
05-05-12, 08:47 AM
I loved when Potts (sp) called Agent Coulson by his first name "Phil" and Stark said "His first name is Agent"

I've watched this twice and missed out on the second ending... I guess there is no better reason then to go watch it a third time.

bluetoast
05-05-12, 09:03 AM
Wow. Yeah this was the best of all of the related Marvel movies, and all the Marvel ones I've seen while we're at it. I didn't enter this thread till today, stopped going into the other discussion one in the last week or so, only saw trailers mostly....so a lot of it was a big surprise.

Initial thoughts:

Wanted to see it on a Friday night to get the full experience. The interactions between the Avengers meeting were great, especially

Stark and Thor - Shakespeare in the park had me :lol:
Banner and Stark - perfect fit for the two scientific guys to team up
Cap and Stark - arguing one moment, teaming up the next

And the moment where all of them were arguing at once...great lines from all of them.

The only thing was, despite Black Widow and Hawkeye doing a good job in the fight, it seems like they were still second fiddle, although I felt they should be anyway.

Powers Boothe as a behind the scenes boss? Nice.

Also considering the 5 movies that preceded this, and only so many supporting characters can make it, I'm glad Stellan Skarsgard is in this.

Before seeing it, I wasn't sure if I would see this movie more than once....but after last night I can say that if presented with the opportunity, hell yeah.

Screwadu
05-05-12, 09:08 AM
I was equally bummed when Blunt had to pass

In Soviet Russia, Blunt passes YOU.

DJLinus
05-05-12, 10:06 AM
I saw it last night and had a blast. It definitely lived up to my immense hype. It was great seeing some of the supporting characters from the previous flicks pop up. In that regard, I was disappointed not to see Odin.

The crowd was really into it and, yeah, we missed out on Hulk's line due to the cheering and laughter. Thank goodness for the internet, I looked it up on the way out of the theater. I'll be seeing this again a little later when the audience has died down some, in part just to see what else I missed. (Also to get a more comfortable viewing. There were eight of us and the only block of seats that large - or even in groups of four and four - was in the front, non-stadium section, to the side.)

Now I want to go back and replay Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, just so I can smash stuff up real good using a team of Marvel heroes. :lol:

It was funny, for some reason the theater kept the lights on during the trailers. People were still talking and making a lot of noise through the first few of them (Frankenweenie, Brave, Battleship) and then the Batman one came on...total, hushed silence. I think that little movie just might make it!

Completely agree. A set-up like this movie gives the audience an opportunity to have fun with the character without getting bogged down in the pathos and pain Banner goes through in his solo efforts. I'm not saying another Hulk flick wouldn't be welcome, but putting him smack in the middle of the Marvel universe with other characters to support him really made that character shine.

I know they're very reluctant to do yet another solo Hulk movie, but I wonder if Marvel would consider a team up one, using just Hulk and one of the other heroes.

Also, how long before we can expect a chronological fan edit of all of the Marvel movies? I'd be interested to see that, as much of a test of ass-durance as it would be.

macontosh2000
05-05-12, 10:57 AM
Apologies if this has already been asked, but how is the 3D in this movie? Is it worth it or should i just stick to 2D?

Solid Snake
05-05-12, 11:14 AM
stick to 2D. Saw it in 3D. It was ok I guess. Nothing worth it. The trailer to Prometheus though? Fucking great in 3D.

musick
05-05-12, 11:21 AM
That really made me sad. He's been there since the first Iron Man in all of the movies, the regular guy agent. I was officially sad about him biting it.

only if he truly is dead :D

Jules Winfield
05-05-12, 11:22 AM
I want to marry The Hulk.

mdc3000
05-05-12, 11:22 AM
Apologies if this has already been asked, but how is the 3D in this movie? Is it worth it or should i just stick to 2D?

I saw standard reald 3D and an IMAX 3D presentation - wasn't too thrilled with the RealD 3D but the IMAX version was way better...IMAX has the edge in brightness but found it a much better experience overall. If you don't have IMAX as an option, then stick to 2D.

musick
05-05-12, 11:30 AM
I'll take a different way of answering
I don't seek out/pay a premium for 3D ... However I did have the opportunity to see this for free in 3D
I had no issues with it and thought it looked solid ... Maybe I am missing something from those who say pass unless their contention just is not to pay the extra

TomOpus
05-05-12, 11:33 AM
I want to marry The Hulk.You're a snuggler, eh?

Deftones
05-05-12, 11:36 AM
Saw it last night. My local movie theater finally upgraded to digital projection, which was a treat. I loved the movie, but fuck it was slow in the first half. I understand they needed to set up the team and such, but it sucked just waiting around for the team to start doing something. I read somewhere the action scenes were nothing special, but I disagree. Seeing them all work in conjunction together was fantastic. Hulk stole the show, as I've read. Loved when he punched Thor after they crashed into Grand Central Station. :lol:

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed at how well it was put together. I'll give Joss Whedon tons of credit. I've never, ever liked anything he's ever done except for Dr. Horrible Sing Along, but this far, far exceeded any expectations I've ever had. It wasn't my favorite superhero movie ever (Nolan's Batmans win that), but it's definitely close behind them.

Supermallet
05-05-12, 11:46 AM
Stark and Thor - Shakespeare in the park had me :lol:

"Dost mother know you weareth her drapes?"

I also love when Thor first grabs Loki and Loki starts making jokes, Thor says, "Do I look to be in a gaming mood?" I felt like Whedon summed Thor's entire previous movie with that line.

Also, I assumed a "quim" was some kind of small rodent, but looking it up, it's...uh...something else.

jdslater1
05-05-12, 11:54 AM
You're thinking of Sharon Carter, Peggy's niece. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the actress playing the waitress was Ashley Johnson. I think she's just someone the director is fond of using. She appeared in his last TV series and also has a part in his Much Ado About Nothing adaptation.

Wow, see how close I was with all of those names!

musick
05-05-12, 11:54 AM
Never did I think I would be searching shawarma on YouTube ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnNP2xh8Ho

Quake1028
05-05-12, 12:34 PM
I'm going the full monty on this one. *****, blown away. This is going to be the best comic book movie summer ever with Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises.

Why So Blu?
05-05-12, 12:49 PM
"Dost mother know you weareth her drapes?"

I also love when Thor first grabs Loki and Loki starts making jokes, Thor says, "Do I look to be in a gaming mood?" I felt like Whedon summed Thor's entire previous movie with that line.

Also, I assumed a "quim" was some kind of small rodent, but looking it up, it's...uh...something else.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqDyIsmjbng

shadowhawk2020
05-05-12, 01:10 PM
So let me ask (forgive me if it has been discussed) why did:

the Iron Man suit shut off and fall back through the portal, when the missile was able to stay on?

Why So Blu?
05-05-12, 01:18 PM

the Iron Man suit shut off and fall back through the portal, when the missile was able to stay on?

Wasn't the suit already damaged beyond repair?

anomynous
05-05-12, 01:19 PM
Because Jarvis said his suit was almost out of power before he even went after the missile

Why So Blu?
05-05-12, 01:19 PM
Spoilers fail ^

musick
05-05-12, 01:20 PM

because it's a comicbook movie
oh and probably because it took a beating for the hour or so that proceeded

shadowhawk2020
05-05-12, 01:20 PM
anomynous take the / out of the first spoiler

shadowhawk2020
05-05-12, 01:21 PM
I can buy the out of power thing, but seems weird he would fall in space. Guess they can say he was pulled back through the portal

Big Boy Laroux
05-05-12, 01:24 PM
Shouldn't we be able to discuss spoilers openly in the reviews thread anyway? Or is that frowned upon?

I always forget the policy - but I spoiler tag just to be on the safe side.

Big Boy Laroux
05-05-12, 01:26 PM
I can buy the out of power thing, but seems weird he would fall in space. Guess they can say he was pulled back through the portal

Yes, I had small issue with that as well. The falling part, not the running out of power part. They established that he was running out of power. But falling in space? Um, no.

But I guess they could explain it as the pull of the portal or maybe earth's gravity exerting some pull through the portal.

musick
05-05-12, 01:27 PM
don't think it was mentioned yet but reindeer games got a huge laugh as well

Why So Blu?
05-05-12, 01:30 PM
There was also a referencing to a "bag of weed" that cracked me up.

SterlingBen
05-05-12, 01:48 PM
Yes, I had small issue with that as well. The falling part, not the running out of power part. They established that he was running out of power. But falling in space? Um, no.

But I guess they could explain it as the pull of the portal or maybe earth's gravity exerting some pull through the portal.

He didn't fall, he was pushed by the concussion wave of the nuclear explosion.

islandclaws
05-05-12, 01:50 PM
"Clench up and hang on, Legolas" (or something to that effect) got a good laugh.

This almost makes me want to check out Whedon's work on Firefly/Serenity despite the fact it didn't look very appealing to me.

Why So Blu?
05-05-12, 01:56 PM
"Clench up and hang on, Legolas" (or something to that effect) got a good laugh.

This almost makes me want to check out Whedon's work on Firefly/Serenity despite the fact it didn't look very appealing to me.

Yeah, that one got big laughs, too!

musick
05-05-12, 02:19 PM
amazing how far we've come :D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-msaJuHDpMIY/Tm4rW9fBezI/AAAAAAAAZgs/lXFAmCOIjrE/s1600/Hulk%2BThor.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DKkbJ7YUUtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Boy Laroux
05-05-12, 02:25 PM
He didn't fall, he was pushed by the concussion wave of the nuclear explosion.

Could have sworn he started to fall backwards after letting go of the missle, before the missle made impact with the ship.

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

shadowhawk2020
05-05-12, 02:58 PM
Could have sworn he started to fall backwards after letting go of the missle, before the missle made impact with the ship.

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

Nope I remember the same thing. He started to fall then his eyes closed, then the explosion.

Jules Winfield
05-05-12, 04:07 PM
This is a little off topic but why do we have to hide spoilers in here? I would think people who haven't seen it would realize that it was an enter at your own risk type of situation. Do people actually complain when they enter a thread for a movie they havent seen and the people who have seen it are talking about it?

Jules Winfield
05-05-12, 04:12 PM
The potential for the sequel has me drooling. I'm a big Infinity Gauntlet fan. I'm just assuming that's the direction they would go in. They could always go with another story.

Big Boy Laroux
05-05-12, 04:13 PM
This is a little off topic but why do we have to hide spoilers in here? I would think people who haven't seen it would realize that it was an enter at your own risk type of situation. Do people actually complain when they enter a thread for a movie they havent seen and the people who have seen it are talking about it?

Yeah especially on page 9. But all it takes is one person to bitch about something being spoiled. "But I thought this was the reviews thread! I wanted to read 9 pages of posts just on whether the movie was good or not, and I got spoiled!"

Jules Winfield
05-05-12, 04:32 PM
Yeah especially on page 9. But all it takes is one person to bitch about something being spoiled. "But I thought this was the reviews thread! I wanted to read 9 pages of posts just on whether the movie was good or not, and I got spoiled!"

That's why I spoilered my next post. I'm genuinely curious but didn't want to risk somebody who had no life hulking out on me.

P.S. - See that? I used hulking instead of some other word because this is The Avengers thread. Did you guys notice? Huh? Huh?

Solid Snake
05-05-12, 04:34 PM
what are the official rules on that? Cuz honestly...I thread on the edge. Sometimes I'm like fuck it..sometimes I do it too though. I'm more for saying fuck it and not giving a damn about it..in the reviews thread.

Jules Winfield
05-05-12, 04:51 PM
what are the official rules on that? Cuz honestly...I thread on the edge. Sometimes I'm like fuck it..sometimes I do it too though. I'm more for saying fuck it and not giving a damn about it..in the reviews thread.

I tend to say fuck it also but comic book fans tend to be whiny. "Donald Glover can't play Spiderman because he's black." "Batman and Robin sucks!" Just shut up and get laid already!

Solid Snake
05-05-12, 05:06 PM
well...Batman and Robin does suck. Also...I'd prefer my Spider-Man to be white...or in general...my superhero characters to be what race they are in the comics...unless they're so goddamn awesome that their ability to be the character surpasses race...ie Idris fucking Elba as Heimdall.

JesseCuster
05-05-12, 05:57 PM
Or the studio put the kibosh on it.

Probably but I think Joss is also smart enough to know that if you put the whole Scooby gang in cameos it could be a bit distracting. 2-4 is probably a good number. And Whedon's upcoming "Much Ado About Nothing" is basically nothing but actors from his past shows and projects with Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof starring I believe.

DonnachaOne
05-05-12, 06:11 PM
musick, did you see it in 35mm or digital?

Supermallet
05-05-12, 06:14 PM
well...Batman and Robin does suck. Also...I'd prefer my Spider-Man to be white...or in general...my superhero characters to be what race they are in the comics...unless they're so goddamn awesome that their ability to be the character surpasses race...ie Idris fucking Elba as Heimdall.

A black Norse god makes way less sense than a black Spider-Man. Donald Glover would have been amazing.

My Other Self
05-05-12, 06:18 PM
Well, the movie blew all of my expectations away. Definitely a lot of fun. I thought Whedon did an amazing job bringing the characters together and I would love to see it again, although not in 3D. That's the only option the IMAX theater by me had but I thought it was a bit wasteful since the only scene I really noticed anything was when Thor and Hulk were were fighting together towards the end of the film.

Loved the after-credits scene, too. That had me cracking up. :lol:

I don't know what it is, but the two times I've been to an IMAX screening (this included), some idiot parent decides it's perfectly sensible to bring a crying infant in to the movie. With how exceptionally loud the sound is, you'd think they'd have enough sense not to subject a very small child with sensitive ears to a movie chock full of explosions. When I saw The Dark Knight this happened and it happened just now.

There must have been at least 50+ open seats in the theater but they decided to sit right next to me and the baby kept crying and fussing throughout a good portion of the movie. When he/she got really loud, and other people started staring at the couple, the mom took he/she out for 5 minutes then brought the baby right back in.

I also don't feel a theater is a place to breastfeed a child but apparently the mom didn't care. I got a full boob in my peripheral a couple of times throughout the movie. The husband wasn't much better, either. He and their other kid who must've been 5 or 6 were hooting and hollering the entire movie when shit blew up and the dad was cracking lame jokes in quiet parts. The IMAX 3D tickets at this theater are $17 a pop, so times that by 3 and the snacks they had and it was over $75 he spent on this trip. Hope it was worth the money he burned and for the pleasure he had of his family annoying my section of the theater the entire movie.

Solid Snake
05-05-12, 06:19 PM
Let's not forget the Mongolian. Though...he was like that already in the comics.

Double_Oh_7
05-05-12, 06:24 PM

I would check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel first, if you haven't already.

JesseCuster
05-05-12, 06:33 PM
I would check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel first, if you haven't already.

You can see Firefly first since it has no connection to the Buffyverse (though I think Whedon intended it to eventually) but if you want to see Whedon's evolution as a show runner, writer and filmmaker, Buffy to Angel to Firefly is the way to go. It's a pretty amazing body of work.

kgrogers1979
05-05-12, 06:36 PM
"Donald Glover can't play Spiderman because he's black."

Spider-Man 2099 is a Latino guy named Miguel O'Hara. The new Ultimate Spider-Man is a black kid named Miles Morales.

My Other Self
05-05-12, 06:39 PM
Spider-Man 2099 is a Latino guy named Miguel O'Hara. The new Ultimate Spider-Man is a black kid named Miles Morales.Do you really assume everyone on the planet reads the same amount of comic books you do?

kgrogers1979
05-05-12, 06:43 PM
Do you really assume everyone on the planet reads the same amount of comic books you do?

I didn't say they did. -screwy-

My Other Self
05-05-12, 06:46 PM
I didn't say they did. -screwy-You don't have to say it. The tone of your replies when you correct almost everybody shows you think they should know it already.

kgrogers1979
05-05-12, 06:49 PM
You don't have to say it. The tone of your replies when you correct almost everybody shows you think they should know it already.

Whatever. I never implied anything. I was just merely pointing out that there are Spider-Men of other races for people that didn't know and maybe perhaps were interested in knowing. I didn't expect many people to know it at all.

islandclaws
05-05-12, 06:50 PM

I tried watching Buffy S1 a couple times and could never get past the first episode or two; didn't even bother with Angel.

I saw some of Firefly at a friend's house, but I honestly thought it looked kinda lame. I do like his writing style, however, but I guess I'll just have to wait for Avengers 2 or something.

My Other Self
05-05-12, 06:56 PM
I didn't expect many people to know it at all.Fair enough.

Can someone explain why Joss Whedon gets a lot of flack? I've never watched Buffy, Firefly, or anything else he's done but is his stuff really that hit or miss?

He hit the mark with Avengers.

gcribbs
05-05-12, 07:04 PM

I actually disagree with the person who said to try other things by him. I love his work on Buffy and Angel. However, I think Serenity works on its own and could be viewed without having seen Firefly.

I am not saying to skip his other work. However, if you want to see a good movie I would give Serenity a try.

GoldenJCJ
05-05-12, 07:05 PM
Firefly was decent. Never really bothered with Buffy or Angel, they just never appealed to me. Serenity and The Avengers both kicked ass.

I'm certainly not a fanboy for the guy but if Joss Whedon makes a movie that looks interesting to me I'll definitely check it out.

Draven
05-05-12, 07:05 PM
Can someone explain why Joss Whedon gets a lot of flack? I've never watched Buffy, Firefly, or anything else he's done but is his stuff really that hit or miss?

He hit the mark with Avengers.

I chock most of it up to nerd jealousy and Internet too-cool-for-school posing.

He's a great writer, has created and successfully run some of the best genre TV of the last 15 years and seems like a nice guy to boot. But the Internet has to hate something.

There are true hacks out there who deserve derision. You can not like what Whedon does, but he has done nothing to deserve outright hate.

RoboDad
05-05-12, 07:28 PM
I chock most of it up to nerd jealousy and Internet too-cool-for-school posing.

He's a great writer, has created and successfully run some of the best genre TV of the last 15 years and seems like a nice guy to boot. But the Internet has to hate something.

There are true hacks out there who deserve derision. You can not like what Whedon does, but he has done nothing to deserve outright hate.

Where's that "Like" button when I really need it?

I'll have to settle for a hearty :thumbsup:

Big Boy Laroux
05-05-12, 07:33 PM
Mcfly, that is absurd. I can't believe theaters allow people to bring infants. Ridiculous.

Big Boy Laroux
05-05-12, 07:35 PM
Kgrogers - i appreciate the comic knowledge you bring to the table, but I'll agree that your posts come off as condescending. Good to know that's not your intention, maybe you should work on the tone - add some qualifying sentences or something.

Supermallet
05-05-12, 07:36 PM
Buffy is great, but takes a while to ramp up. Also, aside from "Hush" you can skip season four entirely. Just read a synopsis of the season or something, because it's awful.

Angel I never watched but am going to soon as I'm just now finishing a Buffy marathon.

Firefly/Serenity are IMO the best work Whedon has done to date. Something about that group together clicks for me on every level.

mdc3000
05-05-12, 08:59 PM
^Get on Angel ASAP - I liked it even more than Buffy.

Supermallet
05-05-12, 09:03 PM
I'm at the tail end of S7 of Buffy in my marathon. Once I finish that it's off to Angel land.

SmithsGuy
05-05-12, 09:24 PM
I was surprised that the movie was written to have the Avengers run off at the end and not be about for the cleanup ...

RocShemp
05-05-12, 09:29 PM
I finally saw this today and, though I enjoyed it a great deal, I can't say I loved it. Whedon definitely nailed the character interactions and, for the most part, the action sequences were great. I'll echo others' feelings that Ruffalo is the best Banner ever and Hulk was hilarious (though I felt the wait to see Hulk in the movie was excruciating, it made when he finally showed up all the better). And, although I liked her henchman fight in IM2, I felt Black Widow was far better utilized in this flick. It was also amusing to see Joss Whedon included a little hint of his foot fetish (though he wasn't in your face about it like someone like Quentin Tarntino would do) in the flick.

Unfortunately, the pacing of the film is off. There are some very boring stretches during the start and it's a while before the film develops a good rythm (though, once it does hit its stride, it never quits). Also, the plot was complete crap. It actually felt as if the script was written during shooting. Given how lame the Chitauri (or whatever they were called) turned out to be and how sloppily they were integrated into the narrative, I'm actually glad they didn't bother including the Skrulls. My only other gripe was that the chick who played Agent Hill, though pretty to look at, sounded like she was reading her lines for the very first time. Her delivery was only decent when she was talking to Fury about the cards.

That said, although it's not my favourite of the Marvel flicks, it's definitely a day one purchase and this non-Whedon Fanboy hopes he comes back to direct the sequel.

I was surprised that the movie was written to have the Avengers run off at the end and not be about for the cleanup ...

Since when does any super hero do cleanup after an epic battle? :shrug: