Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : America's Best Cities for Hipsters

hbilly
04-24-12, 02:59 AM
So hip it hurts.

America’s Favorite Cities survey ranked 35 metropolitan areas on culturally relevant features like live music, coffee bars, and independent boutiques. To zero in on the biggest hipster crowds, we also factored in the results for the best microbrews and the most offbeat and tech-savvy locals.

No. 1 Seattle
No. 2 Portland, OR
No. 3 San Francisco
No. 4 New Orleans
No. 5 Portland, ME
No. 6 Providence, RI
No. 7 Austin, TX
No. 8 San Juan, P.R.
No. 9 Philadelphia
No. 10 Denver
No. 11 Savannah, GA
No. 12 New York City
No. 13 Santa Fe, NM
No. 14 Chicago
No. 15 San Diego
No. 16 Minneapolis/St. Paul
No. 17 Boston
No. 18 Los Angeles
No. 19 Nashville
No. 20 Kansas City, MO
No. 21 Las Vegas
No. 22 Charleston
No. 23 Memphis
No. 24 Baltimore
No. 25 Honolulu
No. 26 Houston
No. 27 Anchorage
No. 28 Miami
No. 29 Washington, D.C.
No. 30 San Antonio
No. 31 Phoenix/Scottsdale
No. 32 Atlanta
No. 33 Orlando
No. 34 Salt Lake City
No. 35 Dallas/Fort Worth

Full article at travelandleisure.com (http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-cities-for-hipsters)

Troy Stiffler
04-24-12, 10:06 AM
Hmmm. I still can't find anything wrong with live music, coffee bars, independent boutiques and microbrews. But whatever, people don't like "hipsters" for some reason.

DeputyDave
04-24-12, 10:10 AM
Hmmm. I still can't find anything wrong with live music, coffee bars, independent boutiques and microbrews. But whatever, people don't like "hipsters" for some reason.

It's kind of like saying you love Chicken Cordon Bleu (which I made for dinner last night) but still hate the French people.

Tracer Bullet
04-24-12, 10:12 AM
It's kind of like saying you love Chicken Cordon Bleu (which I made for dinner last night) but still hate the French people.

:lol: Chicken cordon bleu isn't French.

Jules Winfield
04-24-12, 10:14 AM
I would've thought my presence in San Jose would've made it number one. I guess I suck.:(

Hokeyboy
04-24-12, 10:16 AM
Knowledge is knowing Chicken Cordon Bleu isn't French... ;)

DeputyDave
04-24-12, 10:26 AM
:lol: Chicken cordon bleu isn't French.

Next you'll be telling me Caesar Salad is not Italian.

Hokeyboy
04-24-12, 10:30 AM
Miami is in the Top 30?? :lol: rotfl :lol: rotfl :lol:

For what, exactly? Strip malls, overpriced beach parking, and Rick Sanchez?

resinrats
04-24-12, 10:33 AM
Sweet, a list of cities to avoid moving to.

The Bus
04-24-12, 10:34 AM
Their methodology is highly suspect.

Red Dog
04-24-12, 11:22 AM
Seems like you could figure this out just by going to Pabst and seeing where they ship most of their PBR to per capita.

RichC2
04-24-12, 11:23 AM
Uh, where's Williamsburg (Brooklyn), NY?

Savannah and Austin are also more hipster-y than Seattle, oddly enough. San Juan, P.R.?

Meglos
04-24-12, 11:26 AM
Atlanta is on the list but not Athens? Highly suspect.

Groucho
04-24-12, 11:28 AM
How is Boulder, CO not on that list?

GoVegan
04-24-12, 11:41 AM
Yet every city in Texas made it. Surely the people who compiled the list know that not all of those people are wearing those outfits ironically.

Tracer Bullet
04-24-12, 11:51 AM

No. 12 New York City

LurkerDan
04-24-12, 12:00 PM
How is Boulder, CO not on that list?

We don't have hipsters, we have dirty hippies and new age freaks, sheesh.

Lateralus
04-24-12, 12:22 PM
I read another article on this and it had a list of best "hipster" cities and Pittsburgh had just unseeded Portland as the number 1 "hip" city.

Pittsburgh has not even made this list. :hscratch:

Edit --- Well, maybe it was not a list:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/portlandia-your-15-minutes-are-up-long-live-pittsburgh/2012/01/03/gIQAMUlSYP_blog.html

Mabuse
04-24-12, 12:25 PM
San Juan, Puerto Rico? WTF?

Numanoid
04-24-12, 12:25 PM
Seems like you could figure this out just by going to Pabst and seeing where they ship most of their PBR to per capita.Yeah, and since when did PBR become a "microbrew"?

Philzilla
04-24-12, 01:29 PM
Atlanta is on the list but not Athens? Highly suspect.

When did Athens become a city? They're not called Townies for nothing.

Nick Danger
04-24-12, 01:39 PM
I've been to Santa Fe. I've been to Boston.

Evidently the makers of this list have not. There's no way Santa Fe is hipper than Boston.

Osiris3657
04-24-12, 02:09 PM
Not surprised at the top cities. If I didn't know the results I would have guessed Seattle and Portland were at the top.

majorjoe23
04-24-12, 02:14 PM
I'm sure Travel & Leisure has their finger on the pulse of what hipsters love.

wishbone
04-24-12, 02:15 PM
Yeah, and since when did PBR become a "microbrew"?http://i40.tinypic.com/242zeja.jpg

Jam Master Jay
04-24-12, 02:37 PM
^^ :lol: Yep that sounds about right. I remember being blown away when I first moved to Portland at how PBR was the cool beer to get, as growing up in my hometown it was always looked down on as a cheap crappy watery beer with the likes Natty Lite, Keystone etc.

Mordred
04-24-12, 02:45 PM
Austin at #7 seems way too low.

Bluelitespecial
04-24-12, 08:02 PM
KC at 20, wont argue with that since the arts community is big here in the crossroads, and in midtown with the art institue and westport area.

superdeluxe
04-24-12, 09:57 PM
Seems right.

superdeluxe
04-24-12, 10:04 PM

Savannah and Austin are also more hipster-y than Seattle, oddly enough. San Juan, P.R.?

They are pretty much the 51st state

superdeluxe
04-24-12, 10:04 PM

Agree doesn't swsx move them to the top?

reggieray
04-24-12, 10:40 PM
Next you'll be telling me Caesar Salad is not Italian.

it aint not tallian it from the mexicans in monterrey mad at your table made in mexico not itallian you wrong. again.

kvrdave
04-24-12, 11:10 PM
Yeah, and since when did PBR become a "microbrew"?

It is what hipsters drink when they aren't drinking microbrews. Portland and Seattle being 1 and 2 does not surprise me much.

NORML54601
04-24-12, 11:37 PM
it aint not tallian it from the mexicans in monterrey mad at your table made in mexico not itallian you wrong. again.

:lol: I couldn't have said it better myself

DeputyDave
04-24-12, 11:51 PM

:lol:

Actually I lived about 4 blocks from the restaurant it was first invented in and have eaten there 100's of times.

But thank you for the clarity of your post.

RunBandoRun
04-25-12, 08:31 AM
KC at 20, wont argue with that since the arts community is big here in the crossroads, and in midtown with the art institue and westport area.

Except that sending your kids to an unaccredited school district isn't exactly hip. :D

Tracer Bullet
04-25-12, 09:21 AM
It is what hipsters drink when they aren't drinking microbrews. Portland and Seattle being 1 and 2 does not surprise me much.

The thing about PBR is that a) it's cheap, about 25% of the cost of a good beer, and b) you don't drink it right away, you have a good beer or two, get buzzed, and then switch to PBR when you don't care anymore.

A draft beer in a New York bar will run you $7 while PBR is $2, so you can see why it's popular.

Meglos
04-25-12, 10:05 AM

wat you ar describin is spanish pirogees not talian. spanyerd missionarys ibvented em,.

RobLutter
04-25-12, 10:15 AM
Austin being number 7 is a joke... it should be number 3 or 4! Hipsters everywhere!

Completely agree with New Orleans, it has been repopulated by hipsters. I know quite a few there, lol.

Whomever thinks there are hipsters in San Antonio needs to visit San Antonio.

inri222
04-25-12, 10:21 AM
PBR is $2, so you can see why it's popular.

It costs less than a laxative and yet has the same effect?

AGuyNamedMike
04-26-12, 02:17 PM
The thing about PBR is that a) it's cheap, about 25% of the cost of a good beer, and b) you don't drink it right away, you have a good beer or two, get buzzed, and then switch to PBR when you don't care anymore.

A draft beer in a New York bar will run you $7 while PBR is $2, so you can see why it's popular.

So, it's hip to be un(der) employed.

Osiris3657
04-26-12, 02:26 PM

Austin being number 7 is a joke... it should be number 3 or 4! Hipsters everywhere!

Completely agree with New Orleans, it has been repopulated by hipsters. I know quite a few there, lol.

Agreed. I'd say Austin would give Portland and Seattle a run for its money.

Mabuse
04-26-12, 02:31 PM
:lol:

Actually I lived about 4 blocks from the restaurant it was first invented in and have eaten there 100's of times.

But thank you for the clarity of your post.While his grammar, spelling, and grasp on reality are flawed he is right that the Ceasar Salad was invented in Mexico. Did you live in Mexico?

clckworang
04-26-12, 04:04 PM

Agreed on both of your Texas points. I didn't think Austin would be No. 1 but figured it would be higher. And I don't see San Antonio as a very hipster place at all. I suppose it's being included because there are so many colleges in the city.

Rockmjd23
04-26-12, 04:10 PM
I don't think most of the general public actually knows what constitutes a hipster. It has become a synonym for "urban white people that I don't like"

Tracer Bullet
04-26-12, 04:36 PM
I don't think most of the general public actually knows what constitutes a hipster. It has become a synonym for "urban white people that I don't like"

Hasids are hipsters?

Rockmjd23
04-26-12, 07:18 PM
Hasids are hipsters?
Only if they dress ironically.

DeputyDave
04-26-12, 09:10 PM
While his grammar, spelling, and grasp on reality are flawed he is right that the Ceasar Salad was invented in Mexico. Did you live in Mexico?

Yes, for seven years. Part of that time I lived 4 blocks down 5th Ave from Hotel Ceasar in TJ. In fact the fist time I "knew" my wife was in one of their beds.

TomOpus
04-26-12, 09:21 PM
In fact the fist time I "knew" my wife was in one of their beds.Either that's a Freudian Slip or an unfortunate spelling error :D

ChristianB
04-26-12, 10:23 PM
Being a Dickhead's Cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I)

DeputyDave
04-26-12, 10:48 PM
Either that's a Freudian Slip or an unfortunate spelling error :D

According to another thread that means i'm still a virgin.

DVD Polizei
04-26-12, 11:30 PM
^^ :lol: Yep that sounds about right. I remember being blown away when I first moved to Portland at how PBR was the cool beer to get, as growing up in my hometown it was always looked down on as a cheap crappy watery beer with the likes Natty Lite, Keystone etc.

Portland, OR (because Portland, ME has to be a little more mature) thinks it has the ass of Kate Beckinsale, but in reality, has the butt-crack of Larry The Cable Guy.

PBR is the shittiest-tasting beer, I have ever tasted. Once was enough. I'd rather drink my own piss. And the unfortunate thing is, we have a ton of "microbrews" which sound so SuperDaddyCool when you mention them to the $9/hr waitress, but taste like the Willamette River during a heavy rain. McMenamins is mostly over-rated as well, and you have employees serving you over-priced fast food.

The Bus
04-27-12, 08:04 PM
You seem to really enjoy where you live. No wonder you stay there.

ravan
04-29-12, 10:54 PM
Yeah.. Williamsburg, BK should be at the top..
I live here, its pretty much hipster-epicenter!

Also - MC Lars cant be wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTbwCsjN4Ek

The Bus
04-30-12, 05:54 AM
Yeah.. Williamsburg, BK should be at the top..
I live here, its pretty much hipster-epicenter!

Also - MC Lars cant be wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTbwCsjN4Ek

Your location says otherwise.

He's from Buckhead! He's not one of us! Get him!

Kittydreamer
04-30-12, 11:02 AM
Portland is awesome. The Green Dragon always has good eats and amazing beers from local breweries. DVDPolizi, if you don't like it here then go elsewhere. Portland has some of the best beer around. A lot of the beer festivals are even set up close to public transportation so you can drink all you want and stumble safely home.

DeputyDave
04-30-12, 12:15 PM
Portland is awesome. The Green Dragon always has good eats and amazing beers from local breweries. DVDPolizi, if you don't like it here then go elsewhere. Portland has some of the best beer around. A lot of the beer festivals are even set up close to public transportation so you can drink all you want and stumble safely home.

I used to work at Powel's, right across from the Henry's brewery. Back then I don't think "micro-breweries" even existed, but I loved me some Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve .