DVD Talk
Teacher Orders Students to Line Up; Shoots at Them with Blanks [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Teacher Orders Students to Line Up; Shoots at Them with Blanks

My Other Self
04-23-12, 08:43 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2uqc8rb.jpg
A Virginia teacher has been charged with 12 felony counts after allegedly pulling a blank firing gun on his students and firing several times.

"One for each student who was in there. And basically the charges result of inciting fear into the students," Washington County Sheriff Fred Newman told KSDK.com.

The incident occurred just days after the five-year-anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, during which 32 people were shot by a mentally ill student.

The Kingsport Times reports that Manuael Ernest Dillow, 60, was teaching a welding glass at an Abingdon, Virginia, vocational school when he reportedly "gathered" the attention of his students by forcing them to line up.

"He then pulled a 'blank firing handgun,' black in color, from the back waistband of his pants and discharged the weapon between four and ten shots in the direction of the line of the students," according to a police statement. "The 'report' of the firearm was similar to that of a firearm that fires a projectile, thus placing the students in fear, according to statements. No students were physically injured as a result of the incident."

Sheriff Newman said Dillow apparently borrowed the gun, which is not capable of shooting actual bullets, from another school department.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office says the charges levied against Dillow are all class 6 felonies, each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $2,500 fine. Dillow has since been released on a $20,000 bond.

This is a first. :lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/virginia-teacher-arrested-allegedly-firing-blanks-students-164758793.html

Cardsfan111
04-23-12, 08:47 PM
12 felony counts? C'mon! It's not like he filled up his water cup with a fountain drink at McD's.

jfoobar
04-23-12, 08:55 PM
OK, first off and obviously, the teacher is an incredible dumbass. That being said, these charges seem incredibly stupid to me. I went and read several articles on the incident trying to find out what exact "class 6" felony he had been charged with 6 counts of. I could not find the exact charge but:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/316943/28/Teacher-accused-of-firing-blanks-at-students

It's a hard lesson for teacher Manuael Dillow; he's now facing 12 felony charges for brandishing a firearm on school property.

"One for each student who was in there."

Washington County Virginia Public Schools Superintendent Jim Sullivan confirmed the firearm was a teaching aid for a criminal justice class taught at the center.

So he is being charged with felonies for "brandishing a firearm" that not only isn't a firearm except in the most vague sense of the word but is also a legitimate teaching aid that is used for classes at that very school.

Wow, yeah.

DaveyJoe
04-23-12, 09:01 PM
Where were these teachers when I was in school?

Sean O'Hara
04-23-12, 09:03 PM
So he is being charged with felonies for "brandishing a firearm" that not only isn't a firearm except in the most vague sense of the word but is also a legitimate teaching aid that is used for classes at that very school.

Wow, yeah.

A gun that fires blanks is still a firearm and potentially lethal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum).

Crocker Jarmen
04-23-12, 09:12 PM
A gun that fires blanks is still a firearm and potentially lethal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum).

I would also argue that once it is being used is such an inappropriate manner it ceases to be a "teaching aid".

DVD Polizei
04-23-12, 09:27 PM
Where were these teachers when I was in school?

At home with our mothers. Or fathers.

Actually, our younger siblings. :(

jfoobar
04-23-12, 09:39 PM

Invalid comparison for two pretty big reasons:

1. The guy at the link put the weapon against his temple and pulled the trigger.

2. What he put against his temple was actually a weapon, a real firearm loaded with blank rounds. That is not what the teacher used. They do not use real firearms loaded with blanks as teaching aids. What he used is basically a capgun on steroids.

I do understand the brandishing charge and why it exists. It allows the DA to throw another charge at someone who uses a fake or disabled firearm to commit another crime, but under these circumstances, without an additional criminal act, throwing 12 felony charges at the teacher is just silliness.

covenant
04-23-12, 09:51 PM
He should have been charged with aggravated assault (definitions of which depend on the individual jurisdiction). As long as the victims had a reasonable belief that the fake gun was real.

kgrogers1979
04-23-12, 10:17 PM
He's halfway to becoming the real life Scarecrow. :eek:

That's the Scarecrow's origin in the Batman comics. He was a professor of psychology, and during a lesson on fear he fired a gun multiple times in a classroom. He was fired, and came back and killed everyone for real and then became the Scarecrow.

kvrdave
04-23-12, 11:00 PM
Man, that is tough. What a dumbass. He should lose his job, obviously. But felonies? Do I really want to spend tax dollars to keep this dumbass in jail? Like $40k per year? I guess I doubt he is an actual danger to anyone.

edstein
04-23-12, 11:23 PM
Slow news day in Florida?

Mrs. Danger
04-23-12, 11:26 PM
A Virginia teacher has been charged with 12 felony counts after allegedly pulling a blank firing gun on his students and firing several times.

Well, there's your problem, right there! If he had been using real bullets, there wouldn't be anyone around to complain, now, would there?

But, seriously, it was a dumb thing to think he could get away with.

Numanoid
04-23-12, 11:33 PM
Has anyone bothered to ask him, "Why?"

Groucho
04-24-12, 01:35 AM
The incident occurred just days after the five-year-anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, during which 32 people were shot by a mentally ill student.What dumb non-sequitur.

The Bus
04-24-12, 06:15 AM
Man, that is tough. What a dumbass. He should lose his job, obviously. But felonies? Do I really want to spend tax dollars to keep this dumbass in jail? Like $40k per year?

It's less than the taxpayers are paying now to keep him in welding class.

wmansir
04-24-12, 07:20 AM
Did he just do this to be an ass?

When I first read the headline I thought maybe it had something to do with teaching them a lesson about not freezing up if it were to happen for real. That would still be bat shit crazy, but having recently read the Norwegian mass murderer's account of his killings on the island it was stuck in my head. The guy talked about how many of the kids just stood there as he shot them, even when he stopped to reload, they didn't even try to run. Some tried to play dead, some begged, but he killed them all regardless. It's disturbing to even imagine.

Tracer Bullet
04-24-12, 09:03 AM

Wow, yeah.

If I threaten someone with a chair, should I not be charged because the chair is "legitimate"?

maxfisher
04-24-12, 09:36 AM
If I threaten someone with a chair, should I not be charged because the chair is "legitimate"?

One would assume that the charge 'brandishing a firearm' is specific for a reason and that other charges would apply if someone threatened or incited fear in others with some other object. If the reason for the specificity is that firearms cause people so much more abject terror than other weapons, then perhaps charging him with brandishing a firearm keeps to the spirit of the law. More likely, I'd think that specificity of the charge is due to the fact that it'd be quite easy to accidentally injure or kill someone with a firearm, which obviously wouldn't be the case with a loud cap gun. For all intents and purposes, your hypothetical chair would be a more deadly weapon than the fake gun this guy used.

MoviePage
04-24-12, 09:45 AM
What dumb non-sequitur.

It happened in the same geographical region, close enough that people are still shaken by what happened at VT, so I guess that's why it was mentioned.

Unclejosh
04-24-12, 09:52 AM

If you threaten someone with a blow up chair should you be charged the same as a wooden one? One has the ability to cause damage or kill, the other doesn't.

andy434343
04-24-12, 10:27 AM
It's less than the taxpayers are paying now to keep him in welding class.

True......but when he is a teacher he is providing a service for that money AND he is paying taxes too. When he is in jail, the money will be spent only on his incarceration, and I also highly doubt he will be contributing as much in taxes while in jail.

Numanoid
04-24-12, 12:00 PM
If you threaten someone with a blow up chair should you be charged the same as a wooden one? One has the ability to cause damage or kill, the other doesn't.Irrelevant. It's all about the perceived threat, not the actual threat. If I think you are about to kill me, I'll be in a great deal of emotional distress. Whether you can or do actually kill me doesn't change the distress you've caused me.

majorjoe23
04-24-12, 01:36 PM
I would also argue that once it is being used is such an inappropriate manner it ceases to be a "teaching aid".

Where were the teachers like that when I was in school?

Tommy Ceez
04-24-12, 03:09 PM
It happened in the same geographical region, close enough that people are still shaken by what happened at VT, so I guess that's why it was mentioned.

Would kids in a different geographical region be less scared when a gun was pulled on them?

jfoobar
04-24-12, 03:39 PM
Irrelevant. It's all about the perceived threat, not the actual threat. If I think you are about to kill me, I'll be in a great deal of emotional distress. Whether you can or do actually kill me doesn't change the distress you've caused me.

Granted, which I do not object to the teacher being charged with some sort of crime for the act. What I object to is the teacher being charged with twelve felony counts for doing nothing more than scaring some students with what is, in effect, a fake gun.

Furthermore, this is yet another pretty obvious instance of the news articles not telling us the whole story behind the incident, probably because the school is being hush-hush about it and the teacher, on advice of counsel, is not talking. I have skimmed today's articles on the incident and still have not seen any eyewitness to the incident actually state what really happened. For all we know, he told them what he was going to do as some sort of misguided learning experience but they didn't realize that the fake gun would be so loud and a couple of them got really scared. One told their parents what happened, the parent wigged out, called the principal and the police, etc., etc.

Solid Snake
04-24-12, 04:01 PM
The Kingsport Times reports that Manuael Ernest Dillow, 60, was teaching a welding glass at an Abingdon, Virginia, vocational school when he reportedly "gathered" the attention of his students by forcing them to line up.

who the fuck writes this shit?

Th0r S1mpson
04-24-12, 04:07 PM
I have a CHAIR! I HAVE A CHAIR! Nobody move! I HAVE a CHAIR!

MoviePage
04-24-12, 04:14 PM
Would kids in a different geographical region be less scared when a gun was pulled on them?

No. I was trying to explain why it might have been mentioned in the article, which I did not write.

Hadrian7
04-24-12, 04:17 PM
Yeah, the teacher is an idiot, but shouldn't be charged multiple times for the same crime. One idiot teacher award is good enough.

clckworang
04-24-12, 05:37 PM
who the fuck writes this shit?

According to the byline, Eric Pfeiffer wrote that shit.

Giantrobo
04-24-12, 07:37 PM

That was the first thing that came to mind.

rennervision
04-24-12, 07:50 PM

I knew that was going to be a link to Jon-Erik Hexum. In fact, he's the main reason I've always known that firing blanks was dangerous.

JMLEWIS1
04-24-12, 08:58 PM
The charges seem right to me....it should hurt to be that freakin stupid. Who does that? Those kids had to be pissing in their pants...it'd take a lot to get over that....

NORML54601
04-24-12, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't most of the kids figure out they weren't real bullets after the first few kids didn't start bleeding or screaming in pain?

I guess the teacher's lucky he didn't pull this somewhere like Baltimore or he'd have been dead before he could get a shot off.

ben12
04-25-12, 09:04 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2uqc8rb.jpg
Guilty!

ben12
04-25-12, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't most of the kids figure out they weren't real bullets after the first few kids didn't start bleeding or screaming in pain? Good point. This was really an exercise in critical thinking. It was essentially an SAT prep course!

Numanoid
04-25-12, 10:16 AM
Wouldn't most of the kids figure out they weren't real bullets after the first few kids didn't start bleeding or screaming in pain? Seriously? Do you really think that when someone starts shooting, your first reaction is to begin evaluating the targeted people in order to determine how injured they are so that you can figure out whether it's really happening or not? Or do you think that maybe your first reaction is to cower and make yourself as small a target as possible and your powers of analysis might just take a back seat for a minute or two? Odds are this whole thing took like five seconds anyway. We all know that only Dr. Mabuse has the ability to completely analyze the potential danger of a situation and respond accordingly within 1 to 2 seconds.

Xander
04-25-12, 01:46 PM
I knew that was going to be a link to Jon-Erik Hexum. In fact, he's the main reason I've always known that firing blanks was dangerous.

I thought it was going to be about Brandon Lee. :(

Sean O'Hara
04-25-12, 02:07 PM
I thought it was going to be about Brandon Lee. :(

Lee wasn't killed with a blank.

arminius
04-25-12, 02:08 PM
In the army when we were in the field, we would remove the blank firing adapter from our weapons. Then you would chamber a blank round and take another blank and screw in into the flash suppressor. When you fired the weapon the chambered blank would ignite the one stuck in the barrel. You shot that about 100 meters, usually at an unsuspecting target. We were bored.

Kmical
04-25-12, 03:01 PM
Hat's off to Mr. Dillow.

What teacher hasn't - at one time or another - wanted to line up their students and shoot [at] them?

At least he had the foresight to not use real bullets.

Mrs. Danger
04-25-12, 03:55 PM
Wouldn't most of the kids figure out they weren't real bullets after the first few kids didn't start bleeding or screaming in pain?

Of course not. That's not how it usually happens on TV.

Xander
04-26-12, 11:04 AM
Lee wasn't killed with a blank.

He sort of was:

On March 31, 1993, while filming The Crow, the crew filmed a scene in which Lee’s character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped by thugs. Actor Michael Massee, who played one of the film's villains, was supposed to fire a revolver at Lee as he walked into that scene.[5]

Since the second unit of that movie was running behind schedule they decided to make what they evidently believed would be dummy cartridges (cartridges that outwardly appear to be functional but contain no propellant or primers) by simply pulling the bullets from actual cartridges, dumping out the propellant, and reinserting the bullets in the still-primed cases. Because the people involved neglected to remove the primers from those cases they did not create dummy rounds. The armorer should have known this was an unsafe practice with a real gun involved.

A cartridge primer is a very powerful device. When fired in such a cartridge, it can easily drive the bullet into the barrel (a squib load). The primer seals that end of the case and the bullet seals the other end of the case. The powerful blast from the primer pressurizes the case and drives the bullet forward (the force takes the path of least resistance). This is exactly how the first cartridges ever made worked; those were entirely primer powered.

Later, at some point prior to the fatal scene someone loaded those cartridges into the revolver to film a scene where the camera showed a close-up of the front of the gun, which showed the hollow point bullets in the visible chambers of the cylinder. Before anyone unloaded the revolver, someone pulled the trigger (it is alleged that who that was is unknown).

Exactly as it is designed to do, the falling hammer fired the primer of the round under the hammer. As could be expected, the force of the primer explosion drove the bullet out of the case. Unfortunately, because of the relatively toughness of the type of bullet used (a jacketed hollow point) for the visual menace of that bullet type, the primer blast could not drive the bullet completely through the barrel (if the bullet had passed through the barrel it likely would have fallen harmlessly to the floor after traveling a few feet). And, unfortunately, the primer blast was powerful enough to drive the bullet fully out of the cylinder (if it had not, the gun would have been jammed and useless). Finally, because the case was completely sealed when the primer fired, the result was silent.

Whoever removed the faulty dummy rounds either failed to notice that one of those did not contain a bullet (considering the visual and feel differences that is extremely unlikely) or simply did not understand the difference between a cartridge and a bullet (very likely) and therefore did not understand that if the bullet was not in the case it had to be somewhere. And, evidently, the armorer on the set failed to verify that the gun was actually unloaded after removal of the faulty dummies and the empty case (the one that should have contained a bullet).

Therefore, no one recognized that the bullet had been fired into the bore. The same revolver was later loaded with blank cartridges (a cartridge containing a primer and propellant charge with a paper seal instead of a bullet). This created a loaded gun — case, primer, propellant, and bullet.

Then, they used this loaded revolver in another scene. In that scene, an actor pointed the loaded revolver at Lee and pulled the trigger. The blank cartridge fired and drove the bullet from the barrel exactly as if the gun had been loaded with a conventional cartridge. The bullet struck Lee in the abdomen. It lodged in his spine. Lee fell down instantly. Director Alex Proyas shouted "Cut!".