Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CinemaCon 2012: Dolby to Unveil 'More Natural And Lifelike' Sound System

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

LAS VEGAS-- Dolby Laboratories aims to advance the quality of cinema sound with the introduction of its new Dolby Atmos audio format, this week at CinemaCon.

"We think it is going to be breakthrough," Doug Darrow, senior vp of Dolby’s cinema business, told The Hollywood Reporter, noting that with more "precision and control of sound" in any theater, audio will be more "natural and lifelike."

Atmos is capable of transmitting up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.

For sound teams, Atmos enables what Dolby refers to as "object-based mixing" by providing precise control over "placement and movement of individual sounds or 'objects' anywhere within a theater environment."

In order to create these mixes, Dolby reported that it plans to offer a new plug-in for Avid’s ProTools audio postproduction system, and it is also working with console manufacturers to enable support for the new format, which would be "layered" on top of a 7.1 mix.

A trailer mixed in Dolby Atmos will debut this week at CinemaCon for demonstration purposes. It was mixed by Will Files (Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted), and features sound design by Academy Award nominee Erik Aadahl (Transformers: Dark of the Moon).

Dolby said the mix could be delivered to theaters on standard Digital Cinema Packages (which are used today and are effectively the digital equivalent of a film print).

Exhibitors will need to outfit theaters for the format. According to Dolby, theater owners can still use the "majority of their existing sound system" though additional speakers and amplification must be installed. Dolby estimated that an "average mid-size" theater could expect to make an investment of around $25,000-$30,000 for this upgrade.

Audio equipment manufacturer Harman Professional is working with Dolby to design specialized loudspeakers to support the Atmos format.

Dolby is set to begin a limited deployment of Atmos in the U.S., Europe, China and Japan, and the first feature with an Atmos mix might be released as early as this summer. A larger rollout is planned for 2013.
I didn't know where exactly to post this but since it's going to be used for theatrical applications (for now), I figured Movie Talk would be the best place for it.
Old 04-23-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: CinemaCon 2012: Dolby to Unveil 'More Natural And Lifelike' Sound System

Will the new sound system be able to detect texters / talkers and blow their heads off?
Old 04-23-12, 12:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

can we say overkill
Old 04-23-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
can we say overkill
You don't want to upgrade to a 63.1 surround system?
Old 04-23-12, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You don't want to upgrade to a 63.1 surround system?

no, that also sounds completely unfeasible for most theaters - even the current 7.1 sound configurement is slow on the uptake for some theaters (and studios) to mix movies as such.
Old 04-23-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only 64 speakers? I'm holding out for a 360 speaker system. Sound in the round audio.
Old 04-23-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

This will be fun for top-of-the-line theaters, but the ones near most of us will never see the benefits. But they have to do something with their time, I suppose.
Old 04-23-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My local theatres can barely get their current surround sounds to work correctly. I can't imagine them doing better with more speakers.
Old 04-23-12, 01:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This is just a matixed thing right? 7 descrete chanels get split into 64 spread throughout the theater. No sound mixer is going to mix for 64 discrete channels. It would take forever.

I feel that show-off active surrounds are fun as a gimick but they are just that, a gimick. The best use for the surround channels is ambiant sound and reverb of the score.
Old 04-23-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
This is just a matixed thing right? 7 descrete chanels get split into 64 spread throughout the theater. No sound mixer is going to mix for 64 discrete channels. It would take forever.
From what I can tell, you're not mixing for channels at all. Instead, you mix for the 3D space of a generic "room," placing sounds at specific locations and volumes in the room, and then at projection Atmos mixes for the actual room, based on the speaker layout of that specific room, whether it be 5.1 up to potentially 64 discreet channels.

Videos of Atmos:
http://soundworkscollection.com/atmos

Original Press Release:
http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...s_Releases.pdf
Old 04-23-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This article has a nice description of it:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/23/do...urround-sound/
For mixers and sound designers, Atmos will allow for “dynamic audio object-based mixing,” which means they’ll be able to map objects across the entire soundfield, instead of just figuring out how to mix sounds by individual speakers. The system will also simplify movie distribution and screening for studios and distributors, since Atmos will optimize playback for any setup. Studios will no longer need to ship copies of films with specific audio tracks.
Old 04-23-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be at CinemaCon at least tonight and tomorrow.

I'll see if the demo is accessible tomorrow. If not, oh well.
Old 04-23-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This article has a nice description of it:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/23/do...urround-sound/
Although I'm sure I'm making a crude analogy, it sounds like a far more sophisticated take on what is done in a home theater with calibration suites such as Audyssey or TacT. Except the groundwork for its use is set in the mixing stage.

Interesting to say the least. I guess it would make for a more diffuse soundfield. I wonder how panning across the soundstage might sound.
Old 04-25-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Disney release will be mixed in Dolby’s new sound system, which will be installed in as many as 15 theaters.

LAS VEGAS -- Disney/Pixar’s Brave will be the first film to test Dolby's new Atmos format, which was developed to create sound that Dolby says is more "natural and lifelike."

Dolby aims to have the new sound system, which it debuted this week at CinemaCon, installed in 10-15 theaters worldwide for the test, for which Pixar will prepare a special mix of the film.

Seven-time Oscar winner Gary Rydstrom is serving as sound designer and re-recording mixer on the project.

At CinemaCon, sound designer and supervising sound editor Erik Aadahl, who was nominated for an Oscar for his work on Transformers: Dark of the Moon, said of the new format: “This is, I think, the biggest breakthrough in sound that has happened in my career.”

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Aadahl, who did sound design using Atmos on a demonstration trailer that played at CinemaCon, likened the new Dolby format to having a new instrument to play.

“We’ve barely scratched the surface of what we can do with this technology,” he said. “What I could have done on the Transformers movie with this! … And it doesn’t have to be an action movie. It could be lush atmosphere.”

Atmos is capable of transmitting up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby. Speakers would be positioned around the theater and even overhead to create the immersive experience.

For the sound team, Aadahl noted that it might require some changes. He explained that the mix might add a “slight” amount of time to the schedule thought he expects it would be offset by a simpler process for creating deliverables as the sound team would only need to complete an Atmos mix.
Old 04-25-12, 01:50 PM

^ so these 64 speakers must be on the small side given the number of them - wonder what 15 theaters are showcasing 'Brave' in Atmos (which I have to say is an odd name - where did Dolby dig that name from out of??)
Old 04-25-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ so these 64 speakers must be on the small side given the number of them
Did you not watch the videos in the page I linked to? I'll embed them below:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40853396?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
http://vimeo.com/40853396

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40699179?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
http://vimeo.com/40699179

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40658763?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
http://vimeo.com/40658763

They used a 36 speaker setup for the testing in those vids, with some overhead. They are relatively small for that theater, since the idea is having more precise sound instead of simply louder sound.
Old 04-25-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ so these 64 speakers must be on the small side given the number of them - wonder what 15 theaters are showcasing 'Brave' in Atmos (which I have to say is an odd name - where did Dolby dig that name from out of??)
Well I think only really large screening rooms will get all 64 speakers but you'd be right in assuming they wont be large. That's why Dolby mentioned the system adapts itself to the amount of speakers and configuration in the actual room.

I wonder if they plan to apply the object panning to the front sound stage as well.

In such a configuration you'd figure there'd be two rows of 16 speakers overhead, 16 speakers behind the screen, 6 on either side, and 4 in the back.

Unless they will literally build atop an existing 7.1 layout (as the videos/documents suggest). In which case you'd have three behind the screen, 12 on either side, two rows of 12 overhead, and 13 in the back.

Either way, you'd need one hell of a gargantuan sized screening room to accomodate 64 speakers.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-25-12 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 03:02 PM

why Dolby also didn't implement the left/center and right/center channels of sound for discrete audio in the front sound stage is baffling.

oh thanks. Jay G. no, I didn't get around to watching the vids you posted.
Old 04-25-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wonder if they [plan] to apply the object panning to the front sound stage as well.

In such a configuration you'd figure there'd be two rows of 16 speakers overhead, 16 speakers behind the screen, 6 on either side, and 4 in the back.

Unless they will literally build atop an existing 7.1 layout (as the videos/documents suggest). In which case you'd have three behind the screen, 12 on either side, two rows of 12 overhead, and 13 in the back.

Either way, you'd need one hell of a gargantuan sized screening room to accomodate 64 speakers.
why Dolby also didn't implement the left/center and right/center channels of sound for discrete audio in the front sound stage is baffling.
The Atmos system is completely speaker configuration agnostic. The mixer simply places the sounds in the area they want to sound to come from, instead of specifying speaker arrangement. Which means if there's only 3 speakers behind the screen, it'll work with that. If there's 16 behind the screen, it'll work with that. Using right/center and left/center is completely possible. The single Atmos track can be played back on any of these arrangments.

It's a form of future proofing. Movie mixers can mix in this format knowing that it will be compatible with all speaker systems currently existing and for the conceivable future without a need for remixing for each new speaker arrangement. And theater owners can buy it knowing that all future movie tracks in this format will work with the speakers they own and any systems they get in the future.

I'm sure that Dolby specifically went with 128 discrete source channels and 64 speaker channels as a form of overkill, not expecting any current film soundtrack or theater to use them all. That way the format will have room to grow in the future as movie mixers start using more channels and theaters add more speakers.
Old 04-25-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured as much, Jay G (since it was covered in the videos). But it's stull fun to imagine how to set up 64 speakers in a screening room.
Old 04-25-12, 09:40 PM

granted they didn't need to explain the entire history of cinema sound in their video - they certainly left some info out - completely negate the existence of five front channel sound and 6.1 which largely has been a failure on Dolby's part - time will tell if theaters have the resources and money to keep Atmos alive.
Old 04-26-12, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will probably sound like a soap opera.
Old 04-26-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovid
It will probably sound like a soap opera.
Old 04-28-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound mixers must want to shoot themselves in the head with this many channels to set up.
Old 04-28-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Sound mixers must want to shoot themselves in the head with this many channels to set up.
If you read any of what was written so far, you'll see that it's not the case at all - sound mixers can mix things more for their overall ambience and room placement to match the picture instead of having to mix for individual speaker channels for a more natural approach.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.