Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men ---"Far Away Places" ---4/22/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Men ---"Far Away Places" ---4/22/12

Didn't see a thread for this. Is it the 6th episode already????

Spoiler:
Peggy has a tough time during a particularly formidable pitch; Don calls on a potential client.

AMC preview:

http://www.amctv.com/mad-men/videos/...en-episode-506

Last edited by misterchimpy; 04-22-12 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Mad Men ---"Far Away Places" ---4/22/12

Thanks for starting this.

Yes, it's episode 6.
Old 04-22-12, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the scenes with Roger and the LSD. Very funny.

Don and Megan have such a weird relationship, I wonder how long it will last.
Old 04-22-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a mindfuck of an episode!
Old 04-22-12, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What a mindfuck of an episode!
Things have really taken a strange turn ever since Don's fever episode. They really play with your mind a lot nowadays.
Old 04-22-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So now Roger is "experienced" . Never would have guessed that he would have been the first one to drop acid.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-22-12 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Loved Peggy getting stoned and then giving a stranger a hand-job in the movie theater. Now that's quality TV.
Old 04-22-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Loved Peggy getting stoned and then giving a stranger a hand-job in the movie theater. Now that's quality TV.
Seriously, WTF was that?
Old 04-22-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Seriously, WTF was that?
I think it was Peggy getting stoned and giving a stranger a handjob in a movie theater.

Old 04-22-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised I never noticed until it was pointed out here a few weeks ago (I guess I haven't been paying close attention), but the "next on Mad Men" segment really tells you absolutely nothing about the next episode. It's just non sequiturs and moments with no context. It's hilarious.

I mentioned in another thread that I was never a Betty-hater, but man the show really cooks without her. They won't drop her character, but it would be good for the show.

Loved Roger hearing music when he opened the liquor bottle.
Old 04-22-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never know where this show goes each week, but I find myself laughing quite a bit: Peggy trying to shake down the Heinz guy, Peggy taking the afternoon to go to the movie, Peggy jerking off a stranger in a movie theater, Roger on LSD, Roger using the opportunity to ditch his current wife, Don ditching Megan at a HoJo, Don and Megan fighting. Genius writing.
Old 04-23-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Interesting episode tonight for sure. I liked Roger's reactions to the LSD and liked the music from the bottle. I also enjoyed Peggy's scenes in the episode where she freaked out on the Heinz guy and jerked off the guy in the theater . Don and Megan do have an odd relationship at times but I like them together. She's much better than Betty who I really don't miss at all when she's not on.
Old 04-23-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

I wasn't crazy about this one. Some interesting stuff, but so weird and lacking any real playoffs.

Really confused about the stuff with Ginsburg. Are we supposed to think he was born in a concentration camp? The timing would be about right if he's 24-25. What to make of his orphanage comment then?

I was wondering if it was a coincidence that this story folds over itself chronologically and also features a scene in a diner that looks a lot like the one in Pulp Fiction.
Old 04-23-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but either way, it works for me!
Old 04-23-12, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

What a weird, yet really compelling episode.

I really enjoyed the non-linear storytelling and the different perspectives.

It was really interesting to see how Roger on an LSD high realized that his marriage to Jane was over.

at the music in the bottle and the shrinking cigarette.

and I don't know about all of you, but IMO Peyton List (Jane) is my vision of the perfect woman. Beautiful long hair, tall and pretty face and damn did she look sexy waking up in that bed.

I think we all know that Jane was nothing more than a young trophy wife and Roger never really liked her or had anything in common with her.

Don and Megan's storyline was also interesting as well. 1st he abandons her and they get into that weird scuffle at their home. To me it seems like he really wants this marriage to work. I know people here complained about how sudden they got together last season, but I like them together. I think what scared Megan was how controlling he can be.

at Peggy jerking off that guy in the theatre. I was sympathetic to her frustrations with the Heinz campaign.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-23-12 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After the drama of the last episode, this one just fell flat for me. It's like I was watching a completely different show. And I was.

No Layne, Pete, or Peg after cliffhangers for all of them. I didn't see any true character development from the featured characters. I doubt that Peggy giving a stranger a handjob at the movies is going to tell us anything at all about her when the series is over.
Old 04-23-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
I doubt that Peggy giving a stranger a handjob at the movies is going to tell us anything at all about her when the series is over.
I think it already tells us a lot about her. Go back and watch the very first episodes, and you will see what a change there has been as she tries to establish herself in a male-dominated world. Can you imagine the Peggy of season one doing this? The movie theater incident was her desperate way to "control" a man, any man, and give her some sense of empowerment after her experience with the man from Heinz.
Old 04-23-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Roger will give anything a whirl.

Ah the HoJo - a quintessential part of family road trips growing up. Haven't seen one in years.
Old 04-23-12, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I was wondering if it was a coincidence that this story folds over itself chronologically and also features a scene in a diner that looks a lot like the one in Pulp Fiction.
I don't get what this means. The show proceeds in a straight chronological progression, there is no "fold[ing] over." In the early seasons there were some flashbacks with Don, but I'd never consider a flashback a foldover. Also, there was no diner, it was a coffee shop/restaurant that was in all Howard Johnson's motels.
Old 04-23-12, 08:56 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I really liked this episode. Not as powerful as last week's, but still entertaining. The non-linear storyline, Roger's humor and Don's suspense all worked for me.
Old 04-23-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I don't get what this means. The show proceeds in a straight chronological progression, there is no "fold[ing] over." In the early seasons there were some flashbacks with Don, but I'd never consider a flashback a foldover. Also, there was no diner, it was a coffee shop/restaurant that was in all Howard Johnson's motels.
Huh? The show showed the same time span 3 different times from 3 different points of view, that's not a straight chronological progression.
Old 04-23-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Huh? The show showed the same time span 3 different times from 3 different points of view, that's not a straight chronological progression.
Yeah. Astro, did you miss all the overlapping? I didn't realize it until Don told Dawn to cancel his weekend meetings twice, and called Peggy over the pay phone. It was clearly folding over several times. And what makes a coffee shop/restaurant different than a diner?
Old 04-23-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see Bert Cooper come in at the end and set Don straight with a few sage words like the management Yoda he is.
Old 04-23-12, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
And what makes a coffee shop/restaurant different than a diner?
It's a longer way to say it?
Old 04-23-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were to pick a movie from 1966 to get stoned to, "Born Free" wouldn't have been one of the choices.

Similarly, dropping acid to "Pet Sounds" also seemed out of place. While the album has become a classic, and Brian Wilson has gone on to be recognized as a genius, neither he nor the Beach Boys had that kind of hip culture cachet in 1966.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.