DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Mad Men ---"Far Away Places" ---4/22/12

misterchimpy
04-22-12, 06:43 PM
Didn't see a thread for this. Is it the 6th episode already????

Peggy has a tough time during a particularly formidable pitch; Don calls on a potential client.

AMC preview:

http://www.amctv.com/mad-men/videos/next-on-mad-men-episode-506

DJariya
04-22-12, 07:34 PM
Thanks for starting this.

Yes, it's episode 6.

RoadToPerdition
04-22-12, 11:05 PM
Loved the scenes with Roger and the LSD. Very funny.

Don and Megan have such a weird relationship, I wonder how long it will last.

PopcornTreeCt
04-22-12, 11:11 PM
What a mindfuck of an episode!

RoadToPerdition
04-22-12, 11:13 PM
What a mindfuck of an episode!

Things have really taken a strange turn ever since Don's fever episode. They really play with your mind a lot nowadays.

Jack Straw
04-22-12, 11:26 PM
So now Roger is "experienced" :lol:. Never would have guessed that he would have been the first one to drop acid.

Jack Straw
04-22-12, 11:31 PM
Loved Peggy getting stoned and then giving a stranger a hand-job in the movie theater. Now that's quality TV.

Tommy Ceez
04-23-12, 12:12 AM
Loved Peggy getting stoned and then giving a stranger a hand-job in the movie theater. Now that's quality TV.

Seriously, WTF was that?

anomynous
04-23-12, 12:27 AM
Seriously, WTF was that?

I think it was Peggy getting stoned and giving a stranger a handjob in a movie theater.

-other-

Fist of Doom
04-23-12, 12:29 AM
I'm surprised I never noticed until it was pointed out here a few weeks ago (I guess I haven't been paying close attention), but the "next on Mad Men" segment really tells you absolutely nothing about the next episode. It's just non sequiturs and moments with no context. It's hilarious.

I mentioned in another thread that I was never a Betty-hater, but man the show really cooks without her. They won't drop her character, but it would be good for the show.

Loved Roger hearing music when he opened the liquor bottle. :lol:

Patman
04-23-12, 12:41 AM
I never know where this show goes each week, but I find myself laughing quite a bit: Peggy trying to shake down the Heinz guy, Peggy taking the afternoon to go to the movie, Peggy jerking off a stranger in a movie theater, Roger on LSD, Roger using the opportunity to ditch his current wife, Don ditching Megan at a HoJo, Don and Megan fighting. Genius writing.

Mike86
04-23-12, 01:25 AM
Interesting episode tonight for sure. I liked Roger's reactions to the LSD and liked the music from the bottle. I also enjoyed Peggy's scenes in the episode where she freaked out on the Heinz guy and jerked off the guy in the theater :lol:. Don and Megan do have an odd relationship at times but I like them together. She's much better than Betty who I really don't miss at all when she's not on.

Decker
04-23-12, 01:37 AM
I wasn't crazy about this one. Some interesting stuff, but so weird and lacking any real playoffs.

Really confused about the stuff with Ginsburg. Are we supposed to think he was born in a concentration camp? The timing would be about right if he's 24-25. What to make of his orphanage comment then?

I was wondering if it was a coincidence that this story folds over itself chronologically and also features a scene in a diner that looks a lot like the one in Pulp Fiction.

Damfino
04-23-12, 02:53 AM

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but either way, it works for me! rotfl

DJariya
04-23-12, 05:34 AM
What a weird, yet really compelling episode.

I really enjoyed the non-linear storytelling and the different perspectives.

It was really interesting to see how Roger on an LSD high realized that his marriage to Jane was over.

:lol: at the music in the bottle and the shrinking cigarette.

:drool: and I don't know about all of you, but IMO Peyton List (Jane) is my vision of the perfect woman. Beautiful long hair, tall and pretty face and damn did she look sexy waking up in that bed.

I think we all know that Jane was nothing more than a young trophy wife and Roger never really liked her or had anything in common with her.

Don and Megan's storyline was also interesting as well. 1st he abandons her and they get into that weird scuffle at their home. To me it seems like he really wants this marriage to work. I know people here complained about how sudden they got together last season, but I like them together. I think what scared Megan was how controlling he can be.

:lol: at Peggy jerking off that guy in the theatre. I was sympathetic to her frustrations with the Heinz campaign.

Three Day Delay
04-23-12, 06:37 AM
After the drama of the last episode, this one just fell flat for me. It's like I was watching a completely different show. And I was.

No Layne, Pete, or Peg after cliffhangers for all of them. I didn't see any true character development from the featured characters. I doubt that Peggy giving a stranger a handjob at the movies is going to tell us anything at all about her when the series is over.

marty888
04-23-12, 08:57 AM
I doubt that Peggy giving a stranger a handjob at the movies is going to tell us anything at all about her when the series is over.

I think it already tells us a lot about her. Go back and watch the very first episodes, and you will see what a change there has been as she tries to establish herself in a male-dominated world. Can you imagine the Peggy of season one doing this? The movie theater incident was her desperate way to "control" a man, any man, and give her some sense of empowerment after her experience with the man from Heinz.

Red Dog
04-23-12, 09:16 AM
Roger will give anything a whirl. :lol:

Ah the HoJo - a quintessential part of family road trips growing up. Haven't seen one in years.

Astrofan
04-23-12, 09:33 AM
I was wondering if it was a coincidence that this story folds over itself chronologically and also features a scene in a diner that looks a lot like the one in Pulp Fiction.
I don't get what this means. The show proceeds in a straight chronological progression, there is no "fold[ing] over." In the early seasons there were some flashbacks with Don, but I'd never consider a flashback a foldover. Also, there was no diner, it was a coffee shop/restaurant that was in all Howard Johnson's motels.

Geofferson
04-23-12, 09:56 AM
I really liked this episode. Not as powerful as last week's, but still entertaining. The non-linear storyline, Roger's humor and Don's suspense all worked for me.

WallyOPD
04-23-12, 10:28 AM
I don't get what this means. The show proceeds in a straight chronological progression, there is no "fold[ing] over." In the early seasons there were some flashbacks with Don, but I'd never consider a flashback a foldover. Also, there was no diner, it was a coffee shop/restaurant that was in all Howard Johnson's motels.

Huh? The show showed the same time span 3 different times from 3 different points of view, that's not a straight chronological progression.

CKMorpheus
04-23-12, 11:27 AM

Huh? The show showed the same time span 3 different times from 3 different points of view, that's not a straight chronological progression.

Yeah. Astro, did you miss all the overlapping? I didn't realize it until Don told Dawn to cancel his weekend meetings twice, and called Peggy over the pay phone. It was clearly folding over several times. And what makes a coffee shop/restaurant different than a diner?

Turd Ferguson
04-23-12, 12:26 PM
Nice to see Bert Cooper come in at the end and set Don straight with a few sage words like the management Yoda he is.

RUSF18
04-23-12, 01:20 PM
And what makes a coffee shop/restaurant different than a diner?

It's a longer way to say it?

Doc Moonlight
04-23-12, 02:25 PM
If I were to pick a movie from 1966 to get stoned to, "Born Free" wouldn't have been one of the choices.

Similarly, dropping acid to "Pet Sounds" also seemed out of place. While the album has become a classic, and Brian Wilson has gone on to be recognized as a genius, neither he nor the Beach Boys had that kind of hip culture cachet in 1966.

misterchimpy
04-23-12, 05:11 PM
Similarly, dropping acid to "Pet Sounds" also seemed out of place. While the album has become a classic, and Brian Wilson has gone on to be recognized as a genius, neither he nor the Beach Boys had that kind of hip culture cachet in 1966.

Well that was no doubt used because of the title of the song played: "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times", probably meant to refer to Roger's feeling behind the times and out of place. Although according to Wikipedia, ha, the song was actually written to convey Brian Wilson's angst at being AHEAD of his time. Still, it seems like it was picked first and foremost for the song title and then because it was contemporary to the time.

The episode as a whole actually felt to me like it was channeling David Lynch, ha, with the hallucinations, the hand job and the candy colored Howard Johnson's. I thought the Howard Johnson manager even actually looked a little bit like a younger David Lynch.

Hilarious that Don seemed to think that a stay at a Howard Johnson's was like a trip to a lavish resort :lol:

Jack Straw
04-23-12, 05:30 PM
Don is really turning into a hard-ass. He started the fight with Megan and then leaves her stranded at the HoJos. Really wish it had been those two that dropped acid. Wouldve been great to see what hallucinations that Don would have. Oh wait, he did drop acid a few weeks back.

RagingBull80
04-23-12, 07:15 PM
Another great episode. This show continues to deliver.

I thought that the short phone conversation between Don and Peggy from her point of view was awesome and a little intense. I knew from that point that this episode was going to be different.

Coral
04-23-12, 08:59 PM
If I were to pick a movie from 1966 to get stoned to, "Born Free" wouldn't have been one of the choices.

I would've picked "Blow-up" - although it would be chronologically flawed as the show it set about 4 months before it hit theatres.

Definitely an odd episode. Enjoyed it, but very odd.

Supermallet
04-23-12, 11:11 PM
Loved this episode. It's so good to see Roger get so much attention. He's the most interesting character these days. Peggy in the movie theater, wow.

Astrofan
04-23-12, 11:15 PM
Yeah. Astro, did you miss all the overlapping? I didn't realize it until Don told Dawn to cancel his weekend meetings twice, and called Peggy over the pay phone. It was clearly folding over several times. And what makes a coffee shop/restaurant different than a diner?

Duh, did I blow my comment. I'm so used to Citizen Kane and Rashamon that I wasn't even aware this was happening.

bluetoast
04-23-12, 11:20 PM
Don whistling a Beatles tune? Damn, didn't think I'd see that.

Astrofan
04-23-12, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

And what makes a coffee shop/restaurant different than a diner?

It's a longer way to say it?
From Wikipedia (I know not everyone likes it):
A diner is a prefabricated restaurant building characteristic of North America, especially in the Midwest, in New York City, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and in other areas of the Northeastern United States, although examples can be found throughout the United States, Canada and parts of Western Europe.

From Dictionary.com (I know not everyone likes it):

noun
1. a person who dines.
2. a railroad dining car.
3. a restaurant built like such a car.
4. a small, informal, and usually inexpensive restaurant.

From Merriam Webster (I know not everyone likes it):

1. a person who dines (as in a restaurant)
2. A: dining car B: a restaurant usually resembling a dining car in shape

Get the picture?

http://reproductionfails.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/nighthawks1.jpg

In the US a diner has special connotation. It's not usually a restaurant attached to a motel.

lamphorn
04-24-12, 06:06 AM
This series can do no wrong with me. Just perfect.

conscience
04-24-12, 06:58 AM
This series can do no wrong with me. Just perfect.

Agreed. An awesome episode. Like someone said - the moment we get the phone call from Don in Peggy's perspective - we know the episode is going to be out of the ordinary.

I loved the feeling I got from watching this. It was very David Lynch to me.

Thos19
04-24-12, 12:19 PM
For some reason I heard Benny Hill theme music in my head when Don was chasing Megan around the apartment. :D

Thos.

dino88
04-24-12, 02:45 PM
Don is really turning into a hard-ass. He started the fight with Megan and then leaves her stranded at the HoJos. Really wish it had been those two that dropped acid. Wouldve been great to see what hallucinations that Don would have. Oh wait, he did drop acid a few weeks back.

I don't see that at all, actually quite the opposite. Don has always been a hard-ass and it was the old Don that left Megan at the diner (don't really give a shit about the dictionary definition posted above :)). Everything that happened once he turned the car around is a new, softer side of Don that I think he's evolving into. The scene with him on his knees crying seems like a turning point for his character.

DJariya
04-24-12, 02:53 PM
I don't see that at all, actually quite the opposite. Don has always been a hard-ass and it was the old Don that left Megan at the diner (don't really give a shit about the dictionary definition posted above :)). Everything that happened once he turned the car around is a new, softer side of Don that I think he's evolving into. The scene with him on his knees crying seems like a turning point for his character.

I agree. To be he's trying to change for the better and not be the philandering pig he was while with Betty. I think he's really in love with Megan and wants to make his marriage work.

DJariya
04-24-12, 04:26 PM
Celebrity Bowling.

Team Mad Men vs Team Nerdist

Check out how Hamm and Kartheiser look now. Kartheiser is almost unrecognizable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5M-iiIpzEfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

conscience
04-24-12, 05:15 PM
Also, this episode reminded me of two seasons worth of Six Feet Under wrapped into this one episode with the movie theater handjob and the missing wife.

RagingBull80
04-24-12, 07:06 PM
Don whistling a Beatles tune? Damn, didn't think I'd see that.

I couldn't make it out, what song was it?

It was very David Lynch to me.

Yep.

bluetoast
04-24-12, 07:18 PM
I couldn't make it out, what song was it?

I Want To Hold Your Hand.

n.phelge
04-24-12, 09:15 PM
The most surprising thing to me is that Peggy waited until going back to the office to wash her hands.

Buttmunker
04-24-12, 10:16 PM
Don is really turning into a hard-ass. He started the fight with Megan and then leaves her stranded at the HoJo

Don reacted like that because Megan said, "why don't you call your mother!" At which point, Don fled.

Don didn't start the fight, Megan did; Don was trying to really enjoy himself, and was trying to get Megan to enjoy herself, but couldn't see that he was making that impossible due to the fact that Megan was upset to begin with.

This was an amazing episode, all around, from all points - and I would not be surprised to see this episode singled out for an Emmy, for Best Writing.

At first, I thought it was just going to be a "Peggy" episode. Then, wait!...it's going to be a "Roger" show; but then we see that it's actually going to be a "Don" show...and they made the episode seem much longer than one hour, and not because it was boring, but the other way around! Sure, we didn't get any "Pete" or "Lane" or "anybody else," but maybe next week, folks.

We can only say we enjoyed the episode for the characters we did see! Bravo!!

dino88
04-25-12, 01:36 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j3xTysL0JEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

joliom
04-25-12, 02:01 AM
Ah the HoJo - a quintessential part of family road trips growing up. Haven't seen one in years.

While the hotel chain still exists, apparently, there are only three Howard Johnson's restaurants left in operation: one in Lake George, New York, one in Lake Placid, New York, and one in Bangor, Maine. That's down from over a thousand from when I was a kid.

Nefarious
04-25-12, 08:52 AM
Don reacted like that because Megan said, "why don't you call your mother!" At which point, Don fled.

Don didn't start the fight, Megan did; Don was trying to really enjoy himself, and was trying to get Megan to enjoy herself, but couldn't see that he was making that impossible due to the fact that Megan was upset to begin with.

Agree. I'm not understanding all the "Don started the fight" talk. I guess if you want to say he had her leave work with him and that "started it". But it was obviously Megan who was throwing the barbs at the HoJo and wanted to escalate things.

I agree. To be he's trying to change for the better and not be the philandering pig he was while with Betty. I think he's really in love with Megan and wants to make his marriage work.

Completely agree, but....what now? Will Cooper's comments at the end about being on "love leave" leave Don at a crossroads. Will he equate that being in love is costing him professionally?

clckworang
04-25-12, 06:30 PM
Really confused about the stuff with Ginsburg. Are we supposed to think he was born in a concentration camp? The timing would be about right if he's 24-25. What to make of his orphanage comment then?

Yeah, it's hard to see what they have in store for his character.

In fairness, these people didn't look like they belonged as part of the hip culture.

Another great episode. This show continues to deliver.

I thought that the short phone conversation between Don and Peggy from her point of view was awesome and a little intense. I knew from that point that this episode was going to be different.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a Peggy episode until that phone call. Then I knew eventually we were going to see things from Don's point of view. I wasn't anticipating the Roger storyline, though!

I really enjoyed this one. I think it was one of the better episodes of the series, good enough that I didn't even miss the characters that weren't in the episode.

I agree that the argument wasn't completely Don's fault, but I feel like he sort of egged it on a little bit, even if it was unintentional. He disregarded her feelings in taking her on the trip in the first place and then continued to blow off her concerns by essentially diminishing her role on the Heinz team, something she seemed proud of being a part of. Then when they finish their meal and she seems eager for dessert (she specifically mentions wanting pie and seemed in better spirits), Don disregards what she wants and chooses to order for her what he thinks she should want. Then to top it off, he gets visibly upset and doesn't believe her when she says she doesn't like it. I think Don was so busy trying to do what he thought she would like that he didn't realize he was doing it all wrong. Again, I'm not saying the argument was all his fault. She was needling him as well, and the mom comment was a hit below the belt. But if you have someone who's always trying to control things like Don does, I can see where you would react against that.

Tommy Ceez
04-25-12, 07:37 PM
The Don/Megan thing...

I think the show is trying to show that 60's feminism was an accidental thing. Peggy and Megan aren't running around screaming HEAR ME ROAR! They just are trying to be respected for their contributions. Dons prob. is he thinks he's married to Betty, who lives to glom off the man in her life.

Red Dog
04-25-12, 07:40 PM
The Don/Megan thing...

I think the show is trying to show that 60's feminism was an accidental thing. Peggy and Megan aren't running around screaming HEAR ME ROAR! They just are trying to be respected for their contributions. Dons prob. is he thinks he's married to Betty, who lives to glom off the man in her life.

Hear me Roar was 70s Feminism.

Buttmunker
04-25-12, 08:26 PM
I think Roger Sterling handled his first LSD Trip with the style and grace he's always known for. No transgressions of fear, confusion. He did spontaneously laugh, and generally seemed to enjoy himself, yet kept "control," which is very hard to do on LSD. He didn't think he could fly, you know? Not bad, Rog.

bluetoast
04-25-12, 10:49 PM
I would like one of those prop cigarettes ( I hope/think it's a prop) that crumpled upon dragging.