Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/22/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/22/12

Old 04-22-12, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Figured this would be a pretty cool discussion.

Tonight, Fox is airing the pilots of Married with Children and Simpsons starting at 7 with a 2 hour retrospective airing from 8-10.
Old 04-22-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/2

theyre showing the 500th episode of the Simpsons. Not the pilot
Old 04-22-12, 05:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/2

My channel guide says "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire".
Old 04-22-12, 06:16 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

My guide has S01/E01 listed for both shows. SHould be a fun trip down memory lane.
Old 04-22-12, 06:24 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I wonder if anyone here actually saw the pilot on original air date. Must feel like an eternity ago now.
Old 04-22-12, 06:32 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I remember watching, and yes it feels like it was a lifetime ago. I also remember talking about how FOX will never last.
Old 04-22-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its funny comparing something low brow today (2.5 men) to Married. and Married is still more un PC even today
Old 04-22-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the Canadian channels aired this earlier...pretty interesting stuff. Gabrielle Cateris still looks the same, Calista Flockhart looks good, Jason Priestley looks haggard. Too bad they only got the 70s Show and In Living Color casts together, would have liked to see Duchovny & Anderson together especially.

I forgot how many awful awful awful reality shows Fox had. Forgot Monica Lewinsky even hosted one.
Old 04-22-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
I wonder if anyone here actually saw the pilot on original air date. Must feel like an eternity ago now.
I am pretty sure I did, but I would've only been about 10 years old. I only remember getting into the Simpsons because my older sister liked the Tracy Ullman show and talked about the Simpsons shorts on there.
Old 04-22-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

at showing Firefly. Fuck you Fox!
Old 04-22-12, 07:44 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am pretty sure I did, but I would've only been about 10 years old. I only remember getting into the Simpsons because my older sister liked the Tracy Ullman show and talked about the Simpsons shorts on there.
Yeah I was a tot then and though I did get into The Simpsons early-mid 90's, I didn't see it from the very beginning.
Old 04-22-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a nerd boner during the Sci-Fi section. Watching the X-Files stuff made me wanna get out all my dvd sets and watch them again.
Old 04-22-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I was planning on rewatching the entire run of 24 (via Amazon Prime) this summer when I don't have as many new things on TV to watch, but damn those clips make me want to start doing it sooner.

And I remember watching the first Simpsons episode. I probably still have it on a VHS tape somewhere.
Old 04-22-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was great
Old 04-22-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember watching both The Simpsons and MwC pilots on their original air dates. How many crap shows has Fox had since then that have been completely forgotten, while two of their first shows are now classics? And one STILL making new episodes!
Old 04-22-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I didn't know this was on and tuned in late. Missed the MwC feature.
Old 04-22-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Whither Arsenio?

Old 04-22-12, 11:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
I think I was in sixth grade. My parents watched the Tracey Ullman show, and I waited through the sketches to catch the Simpsons shorts. I was super excited when they announced they were making a series, and I watched and (for a while) recorded every episode as it aired.

I've seen every episode since, and between VHS, DVD and syndication, I've seen many from the first few seasons about dozen times each.

Yeah, it's been a long ride.
Old 04-22-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ChessPieceFace
I think I was in sixth grade. My parents watched the Tracey Ullman show, and I waited through the sketches to catch the Simpsons shorts. I was super excited when they announced they were making a series, and I watched and (for a while) recorded every episode as it aired.

I've seen every episode since, and between VHS, DVD and syndication, I've seen many from the first few seasons about dozen times each.

Yeah, it's been a long ride.
We couldn't pick up FOX on our TV, but my grandmother next door could get it on her's, so I remember going next door to her house to catch the Tracy Ullman Show (just for The Simpson shorts) and Comic Strip Live. I remember how excited I was a year later when I saw a commercial on TV advertising FULL LENGTH episodes of The Simpsons.
Old 04-22-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was very, very young but I vageuly remember watching The Simpsons pilot with my dad. I didn't get to watch Married... with Children until I was a little older because of the adult humor. Both wow, 25 years is a long time.
Old 04-23-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

And Fox took down a lot of great INDEPENDENT TV stations in the process, and brought The Bug to American TV. (Ironically on HD they now keep the picture clean but add in logos of individual stations- I've heard that's all controlled on the network end.) I do have their very first show on tape, which was The Late Show with Joan Rivers. I taped their first night of prime-time where they ran Married With Children and Tracey Ullman three times in a row, with the same commercials each time, but taped over it later because I was too depressed about seeing my uncut prime-time movies going away. I did like a few of their shows, but quit watching once the stupid Fox logo started showing up in the corner, then all the other networks thought it was such a great idea that they joined in. (Somewhere I still have a tape with the last Simpsons episode I ever watched which had a gag completely RUINED by the Fox logo- if I ever dig it out I'll post it. I had written to Fox complaining about this when it started too, they never replied but I did get a letter from The Simpsons staff thanking me because they hated it too.)
Old 04-23-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Sacramento's KTXL TV-40, before it became Fox 40- I had wanted to work there way back when, glad I didn't now. I was shocked to hear that they were picking up the Fox network when there were two smaller independent stations that had much crappier programming and could have used it more (they later got UPN and WB) :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sJjuHGm6rgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h_L-26NYPyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G1glKrT-DZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They also got on KTVU in San Francisco- didn't know what station in that area was getting Fox til Joan Rivers aired that night:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dEFaogAia0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the interest of fairness I'll post the first-ever Fox network ID that appeared during the Joan Rivers show- it was called FBC (Fox Broadcasting Company) at the time. Have to dig the tape out.
Old 04-23-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm disappointed that they aired the syndicated version of the MWC pilot. I understand that modern runtimes for shows are about 3-5 minutes less now, but it would have been nice to see the show as it aired 25 years ago. I guess that's what DVD is for (well, seasons 1-3 anyway).

It's amazing just how much of today's comedies owe to Married...With Children. In a sea of shows like Growing Pains and Family Ties, there really was nothing like it. Sure, you could draw the comparisons to All In The Family, as in many ways MWC was that show for the 80s.

As for The Simpsons, what can you say about that show that hasn't already been said? Just amazing how far animation on TV has come in 22+ years. I mean this episode was only a step above the saturday morning toons of the day (in looks, not in overall quality).
Old 04-23-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KTXL is my local Fox affiliate. If I watched local news, they were the station since Donna Cordova is such a MILF. When they canned her and brought in Stefani Cruz and some guy I stopped watching.
Old 04-23-12, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was great to see the MWC and Simpsons pilots re-airing and I loved seeing a lot of things I'd forgotten about or haven't seen in a while (like New York Undercover) on FOX again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.