Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you have yearly goals for theatrical viewing?

The Bus
04-21-12, 10:55 PM
I try and see 52 movies in the theaters each year, and I usually hit about 1/3rd of my goal by the middle of the year: the first four months don't have a lot of great movies, and into February I'm sometimes seeing the last year's releases.

I still find seeing a film theatrically to be the best way to experience it, and I usually don't have the attention span to sit through a film once I'm home. (At least not ones I haven't seen).

Do you set any goals for yourself?

JohnSlider
04-21-12, 11:07 PM
My only goal is to find the time to see what I think looks decent.

My Other Self
04-21-12, 11:11 PM
Not anymore. When I was younger and when going to the theater wasn't the nightmare it was now on opening day, it was different. In the late 90s/early 2000s I made it a goal to at least see all the big summer blockbusters. It wasn't hard for me when I was in my teens though since there was nothing else to do around where I'm from, and I was at the movies atl east every other week seeing something.

Going to the theaters was "my thing". I was always the movie guy. I took pride in my ticket stub collection. Friends would come to me first for reviews since they knew chances are I had already seen it. A lot of that has changed, though. I barely go to the theaters as it is, and honestly I'm shocked. I never thought it would get to this point for me.

Instead of seeing what I can, with the way ticket prices keep rising around here and the monotonous bullshit you have to put up with in terms of people using cell phones and being annoying during a movie, I either wait until it's been out for a month or just entirely lose interest and wait for the Blu-ray.

This summer the only movie I'm going to see opening weekend is The Dark Knight Rises and possibly The Avengers. I'd like to see more but I can't tell myself I'm going to see all the big blockbusters since chances are I'm not going to want to deal with the crowds once they come out.

MoviePage
04-21-12, 11:25 PM
I did in years past, when it wasn't uncommon for me to see 3-4 theatrical movies per week. Last year, I saw 2 total. I've mostly switched over to videogames these days because that's where the best stories and most creativity can be found (in a visual medium). Hollywood, and especially the theatrical "experience," have mostly lost my participation.

Troy Stiffler
04-21-12, 11:33 PM
I used to see 90% of all movies that came out (even so-so looking romantic comedies). That lasted for five or seven years. Now I just see what really intrigues me. Avatar, Cabin in the Woods, Transformers 3, Cowboys VS Aliens (hey, I wanted to know), Drive. Very few. I refuse to miss Prometheus and The Dark Knight.

The Bus
04-21-12, 11:52 PM
Instead of seeing what I can, with the way ticket prices keep rising around here and the monotonous bullshit you have to put up with in terms of people using cell phones and being annoying during a movie, I either wait until it's been out for a month or just entirely lose interest and wait for the Blu-ray.

I've always found good ways to get around this.

For any summer movie with an established fan base, seeing it on opening weekend usually means you don't have idiots in the audience, because the people who want to see the movie bought their tickets ahead of time. Midnight showings or 8pm showings the night prior are almost guarantees you're not going to get people that are there to ruin anyone's night.

For any movie with a large children's fan base (say, Harry Potter, or a Pixar film), you have to go late on a school night. A 10pm showing on a Sunday means the chance of there being children there is pretty slim. Every once in a while, you get a stupid parent bringing their kids in.

Try to avoid Friday and Saturday nights in areas where teenagers don't have anything to do. If you can't, go to a really late show.

If the movie requires silence, avoid prime weekend nights, because you'll usually get audience spillover from other films, or kids sneaking into a dark room randomly and it just happens to be the movie you want to see.

The other obvious solution is to avoid mall cinemas in preference for either arthouse places or theaters that aren't near malls.

If a bad horror movie is coming out that I want to see (<b>Halloween</b>), I'll usually do the opposite of the above. In those cases, I enjoy audience interaction (if it's really to do with the movie and not to annoy others).

My favorite example is seeing <b>Dark Water</b> and having some teenage girl yell out, "Damn girl! Why you gotta be investigatin'!"

Matthew Chmiel
04-22-12, 12:33 AM
Ever since I joined MoviePass, my wife and I will see whatever. It's a free for all full of beauty, wonder and complete shit.

For example, today:

http://i.imgur.com/TJRe3.png

EdTheRipper
04-22-12, 04:53 AM
I don't have a goal, per se, but I do try to see as many movies as possible while my son is in school. Any shows before noon are $6, so it's a cheap date for the wife and I. Once he's on summer vacation, our movie going slows down because it's tough to find something we all agree on or that it appropriate for the kiddo.

Dr. DVD
04-22-12, 08:57 AM
Not really, though I tend to take in an average of a movie per week during the summer as just about everything that comes out is reasonably entertaining. Other times of the year depend on reviews.

PopcornTreeCt
04-22-12, 11:23 AM
No goals. I do try to make a point of seeing more smaller, indie-ish films.

BambooLounge
04-22-12, 11:34 AM
No goals here either. The cost of going to the movies relative to the cost of owning movies on Blu-ray has put me off theaters quite a bit. There are a lot of films released each year that I would like to see, but I just don't find myself going often. Either, I am doing something else with my gf and it is spur of the moment to see a film or maybe I'll plan around something I really want to see. But, other than Scorsese releases, there is nothing I make a point of seeing opening weekend anymore.

I just either get around to film while they are in theaters or I catch up with them eventually on Netflix streaming or Blu-ray.

I did make a point to see Raid: Redemption in theaters though and I was glad I did...it was like a thrill ride more than a movie.

fumanstan
04-22-12, 11:47 AM
No, I just watch whatever I feel like.

PopcornTreeCt
04-22-12, 12:16 PM

Your life must be full of chaos.

PenguinJoe
04-22-12, 12:54 PM
My only goal is to find the time to see what I think looks decent.

Agreed. I really don't feel the need to see that many movies in the theaters given I have Netflix and a 52inch plasma. In fact I kind of avoid going to the theaters, we have a nice set up at home, mini fridge stocked with Fat Tire beer, airpopper, comfy sofa, and my girlfriend likes to lay around in her yoga pants.

davidh777
04-22-12, 01:10 PM
My goal is to watch the movies I want to see in theaters.

Agreed. I really don't feel the need to see that many movies in the theaters given I have Netflix and a 52inch plasma. In fact I kind of avoid going to the theaters, we have a nice set up at home, mini fridge stocked with Fat Tire beer, airpopper, comfy sofa, and my girlfriend likes to lay around in her yoga pants.

Damn, weren't you talking a while back about the advantages of showing her movies that would bore her?

fumanstan
04-22-12, 01:29 PM
Your life must be full of chaos.

As yours must be as well.

fitprod
04-22-12, 02:07 PM
Avoid all 3D showings of 3D movies.

fitprod

TomOpus
04-22-12, 02:55 PM
Nope, no goals set either.

bcd
04-22-12, 02:59 PM
When I was younger I used to try to see as much as I could. Probably around 60-70 flicks in the theater. I would like to think that number has shrunk over the years, but with going to film festivals and watching 15+ per festivals, plus seeing older movies on the big screen for the first time (Once upon a time in the west, Battle Royale, Wages of Fear, Magnificent Seven) I am guessing that that number is probably the same if not higher.

Solid Snake
04-22-12, 03:11 PM
My goal? See good movies or at least movies that garner some interest. But mostly? Good movies. Last one I saw? The Raid.

starseed1981
04-22-12, 03:47 PM

This. Some years I end up seeing around 25 - 30 movies. And there have also been a couple where the total was 5-10.

Philzilla
04-22-12, 05:07 PM
no I do not

joefrog91
04-22-12, 09:02 PM
Premiere Magazine used to list about a 100 movies reviewed toward the end of the year. My goal was to always see all 100. I would typically average about 88 of them.

Now, I only get to see about 8-10 movies in the theater a year. Like others, if I think it's a movie I need to see on a big screen, I'll try to go see it. Otherwise, I'll wait for the blu-ray to come out.

Osiris3657
04-22-12, 09:11 PM
No.

Everyone should just go to the theater whenever they see and/or read about an interesting movie that's coming out. Can't fathom the idea of "I need to see one movie a week for the entire year even if it's something I'm not really interested in"

Giles
04-22-12, 09:16 PM
I always say to myself, I'll try not to see so many in a year, save some money ya know - ha! who I am kidding...

Paul_SD
04-22-12, 10:09 PM
Do you set any goals for yourself?

Yes. As few trips to the theater as possible. I have a friend who loves to go as often as he can when we are on the road for work (which is usually the only time I get out to a show). Me, I'd rather put that money towards a Bd or save up and buy a new bulb for my projector.

Last thing I saw was John Carter with a (surprisingly) packed Miami audience.
It was excruciating. Too many audience distractions- people constantly getting up and sitting down, and crappy off center seating.

kd5
04-23-12, 07:03 AM
No.

There are so few movies being made these days that pique our interest, it would be difficult to set a goal. -kd5-

riotinmyskull
04-23-12, 07:18 AM
i try to see one a month...

Charlie Goose
04-23-12, 10:15 AM
The only real goal I have is to see as many summer blockbusters as I can, as long as they look interesting.

When my wife and I were dating, we would do 40-50 movies a year.

I loved going to a big ticket movie on opening night. Seeing it with a packed crowd made it more fun.

Now, I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that started after 4 pm. I don't mind the crowd as long as they shut up and STOP CHECKING THE TIME ON THEIR CELL PHONES. And if they don't sit too close to me, of course.

DJariya
04-24-12, 03:56 AM
1-2 movies in the theatre per week. But if I have alot of stuff to watch on my DVR at home, I say 1-2 times per month mininum.

I make it a point to watch all the summer action blockbusters (good and bad) each year just to say I've seen them.

I know for some people driving to the movie theatre to see a flick seems like a chore and inconvenient, but I still enjoy the experience of seeing a new movie or a big blockbuster on the big screen.

Cardsfan111
04-24-12, 08:02 AM
No real goals. I usually keep my eyes open for DVD/BD deals that contain movie cash, and even then only target a few "must-see" films to see in a theater.

In the past, I've lived near some dollar theaters and could try to see more films per year. I no longer have those cheaper options nearby, so it's affected my theater-viewing ways.