DVD Talk
Why do pick-up truck drivers insist on backing into every parking space? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Why do pick-up truck drivers insist on backing into every parking space?

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 04:33 PM
Has anyone ever noticed this?

It seems like every time someone parks a pick-up truck they have to back it into the spot. Is there some kind of practical reason for this? It can't be because it makes it easier to drive forward out (which I will concede, it does) but it takes a whole lot more effort to back it into the spot in the first place than it ever would to back it out.

Is it some ego thing? They're a big tough man who drives a big tough truck and they must show they can back into any spot?

I'm starting to notice this practice everywhere I go and its sort of become a pet peeve of mine.

If you haven't noticed this, go to your local mall or shopping center, observe the parking lot, and tell me I'm wrong.

The Cow
04-21-12, 04:39 PM
It's easier to back into an empty space than back out into traffic? :shrug:

I haven't really noticed it, though.

My Other Self
04-21-12, 04:41 PM
I've noticed it but didn't think much of it. There are quite a few pickups where I live and most of them are backed-in.

Bronkster
04-21-12, 04:42 PM
Haven't noticed it. I drive a pick-up and don't do it.

tommyp007
04-21-12, 04:46 PM

I drive a pickup truck, and that's why I do it.

Me007gold
04-21-12, 04:47 PM
Yep, its much easier to back in to a space then out of it.

DeputyDave
04-21-12, 04:49 PM

I haven't really noticed it, though.

My gf drives a truck and she always backs in. She says it's because of this but I suspect there is also a bit of a pride thing going on.

I drive a car but when I go to work in the morning I back into a spot. I forget where I heard it (I think it was a movie) but I remember hearing one time that after a hard, shity day at work just the fact you don't have to back out of a spot can perk you up.

GMan2819
04-21-12, 04:50 PM
I thought I was the only weirdo with this pet peeve. :lol:

Personally, I don't get it either, and it's not only pickups but SUVs and mini-vans, especially in the parking lots of the wholesale clubs. If they're buying small quantities of items, yeah ok, not an issue. But when they're buying shopping carts full of stuff, it requires more effort to load stuff into your vehicle. And sometimes you get people who try to squeeze the cart in between the cars and bang up the adjacent car in the process. That's what ticks me off. :hairpull:

starman9000
04-21-12, 05:05 PM
Backing in is fine, the j-holes that pull through to an open spot and have no idea how big their vehicle is bug me much more.

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 05:06 PM
Yep, its much easier to back in to a space then out of it.
How is it easier to back in between two parked cars than it is to back out between nothing?

I drive a car but when I go to work in the morning I back into a spot. I forget where I heard it (I think it was a movie) but I remember hearing one time that after a hard, shity day at work just the fact you don't have to back out of a spot can perk you up.
That's logical. However it still doesn't make sense why people do it at places like the store or the movie theater.

I thought I was the only weirdo with this pet peeve. :lol:

Personally, I don't get it either, and it's not only pickups but SUVs and mini-vans, especially in the parking lots of the wholesale clubs. If they're buying small quantities of items, yeah ok, not an issue. But when they're buying shopping carts full of stuff, it requires more effort to load stuff into your vehicle. And sometimes you get people who try to squeeze the cart in between the cars and bang up the adjacent car in the process. That's what ticks me off. :hairpull:
Finally, someone else who feels my pain.

I mentioned this to my girlfriend last night while we were out and all I got was a giggle and a little shrug! She didn't care.

Vipper II
04-21-12, 05:11 PM
My neighbor does it and sucks at it. I'm supposed to have two parking spaces in front of my house, but because he can't park in between the lines I end up with 1.5 spaces instead. Granted, I only need the one, but I'm one of those people who get hung up on principles.

islandclaws
04-21-12, 05:11 PM
I always back in when I can. It's easier than pulling in when you drive a big truck.

JumpCutz
04-21-12, 05:14 PM
What about douchebags that take up two parking spots. :mad2:

http://wesleybauman.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/asshole-parking_thumb.jpg

ResIpsa
04-21-12, 05:16 PM
How is it easier to back in between two parked cars than it is to back out between nothing?

It can be hard to see people, shopping carts and other vehicles when you are backing out.

Me007gold
04-21-12, 05:21 PM

Its easier to back between two stationary objects, then to back in to a place where there are (possibly)moving objects. The legnth of the truck makes it harder to back out of a space

GMan2819
04-21-12, 05:26 PM
I've got another pet peeve that probably doesn't bother anyone else but me. In double row parking spaces where most of the spaces are filled, if the column on both rows are empty, it annoys me when a car enters the space from the top and parks his car at the bottom of the row just when I'm trying to pull into the space at the bottom. :hairpull:

Top-v
| X | | X |
| X | | X |

movie diva
04-21-12, 05:39 PM
I don't drive a truck, but I always back in, easy to pull out and leave at the end of the day, and if you need a tow truck they wont damage the front end of a car if you need a tow. My sweetie drives a truck and does the same.

Autotelik
04-21-12, 05:41 PM
I don't understand the physics behind it, but I've been told that it ACTUALLY is easier to back a vehicle into a parking space- you're supposed to be able to get a better angle backing in and you need less space around you to do it. For example, if you're in a tight row of parking spots, you would be able to back into a spot more easily than going front in, and also easier to pull out driving forward than to back out of the spot. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but go visit other countries where EVERYONE backs into a spot (Asia, some European countries) and ask people why, and they will say that is the only logical way to do it. Provided of course you're good at it.... and I've seen some really skillful people back into a tight spot like it was nothing.

RagingBull80
04-21-12, 06:04 PM

Don't worry, that guy's car is definitely getting keyed soon.

mike45
04-21-12, 06:18 PM
Don't worry, that guy's car is definitely getting keyed soon.

I didn't key it. I was no where near that car.

postermen
04-21-12, 06:25 PM
I always refer to this as douchebagging it in. Once, my wife and I watched someone take 2 minutes to park like that.

Adam Tyner
04-21-12, 06:32 PM
I always refer to this as douchebagging it in. Once, my wife and I watched someone take 2 minutes to park like that.Ha.

I mean, obviously I don't notice the trucks who back in swiftly and efficiently because...well, people doing things competently doesn't really stand out in my mind.

I do think it's kind of hysterical when a truck backs in to save time/because it's easier/whatever, but they pull in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out, spending what seems like two or three minutes to squeeze themselves in there. What they gain from doing that (well, experience, I guess?), I have no idea.

mhiser
04-21-12, 06:37 PM
Safety practices say back in because you can see what is there when you get there. The situation changes as you leave and you can't control that. Why you are noticing this with trucks, I don't know. Safer to back in and pull out.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 06:40 PM

White people...-ohbfrank-

Rockmjd23
04-21-12, 06:40 PM
People that drive pickups when they don't need one for any reason are douchebags.

The Bus
04-21-12, 06:50 PM
Who peed in y'allses Cheerios?

DeputyDave
04-21-12, 06:54 PM
I seriously can't understand why this would bother anyone. What a petty and unimportant thing to get upset about. It has absolutely nothing to do with you.

sracer
04-21-12, 06:56 PM
It can be hard to see people, shopping carts and other vehicles when you are backing out.
Including the vehicles on either side of the spot you are trying to back into.

The one legitimate reason I can see for backing a pickup into a spot has to do with the length of the spot and the overhang of the truck body over the rear wheels. More of the vehicle overhangs on the rear than the front, so backing into a spot allows the truck to back in further to the wheel stops than if the driver had pulled in. Not a problem for small trucks, but the difference is pretty noticeable with a truck that has a full 8' bed.

glassdragon
04-21-12, 06:58 PM

It would be hilarious if you had a bunch of people with you... like 10 or more maybe more if you just picked the car up and moved it to a single spot, then parked right next to it. The look on the guys face would be priceless.

rw2516
04-21-12, 06:58 PM
I find it quite easier to toss my unwanted trash into the bed of someone's pickup if the bed is facing out.

DVD Polizei
04-21-12, 07:12 PM
I seriously can't understand why this would bother anyone. What a petty and unimportant thing to get upset about. It has absolutely nothing to do with you.

I agree, and I park face-out in a parking space if I can (as I just pull up to it) because people race through the parking lot to get to the nearest handicapped space. I need some sort of head start in watching fucktards park around me. And I don't even own a longbed truck. If I did, I'd park the sucker two blocks down in a residential because people purposely try to scratch your nice things if they themselves drive around a broken piece of shit.

In any case, back to petty things, reminds me of this woman who walked into the grocery store just as me and my GF (at the time) walked out, and said something smart to me for opting for plastic bags for my groceries.

Told her if she would wear my plastic bag over her head for 5 minutes, sealed, I'd think about using paper.

My GF at the time punched me in the arm, and it hurt like a fucker for a few days.

Troy Stiffler
04-21-12, 07:24 PM
I live in the newer burbs and most parking lots are the one-way angled-spaces type. What I don't get is people who don't understand the concept, and pull straight through, just to have to drive the wrong way to get out of the isle.

I drive an F250 sometimes and that thing is a pain to swing into a packing space almost anytime. I can't imagine having to back it in while trying to park.

Also, don't forget that with straight parking spaces, people don't really need to back into place. They can just pull straight forward if nobody is there.

Troy Stiffler
04-21-12, 07:26 PM

Bentley, maybe. But a BMW? Haha.

cungar
04-21-12, 07:29 PM
Pick up drivers are without a doubt the most arrogant. selfish drivers on the road. Worse than Semis, SUVs, Gasoline trucks... any vehicle. They drive faster, cut off more people and ignore laws more than any vehicle. Peel away a pickup truck and most likely you'll find some AHOLE with a small dick inside.

DVD Polizei
04-21-12, 07:35 PM
^^^In Portland, OR this would be correct. And it wouldn't be a guy behind the wheel so your "small dick inside" is rather appropriate.

Vibiana
04-21-12, 07:44 PM
Sgt Honeylamb drives a Dodge Ram and I can assure you that her dick is bigger and harder than any man's. Also, it never goes limp and it's dishwasher safe. Match that, breeders. :D

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 07:45 PM
I'm outraged I tell ya! If people do things differently than me then they're wrong!

Sdallnct
04-21-12, 07:48 PM
People that drive pickups when they don't need one for any reason are douchebags.

This is silly, and I disagree. Tho regardless you must think a lot of people are douches since a truck has been the best selling vehicle for many years. Even last year as gas went up the 2 best selling vehicles were trucks.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-best-selling-vehicles-for-2011.html

The Bus
04-21-12, 07:49 PM
This is silly, and I disagree. Tho regardless you must think a lot of people are douches since a truck has been the best selling vehicle for many years. Even last year as gas went up the 2 best selling vehicles were trucks.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-best-selling-vehicles-for-2011.html

This is a terrible way to bolster your argument.

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 07:53 PM
For full disclosure I must admit that my last vehicle was a Nissan Frontier. I absolutely loved it and hated getting rid of it but I just couldn't afford the gas. I ended up getting a nice Honda Accord but I still miss my truck on snowy days. :(

Bluelitespecial
04-21-12, 08:00 PM
My dad does that with his pickup truck, but since their driveway is right next to the street and sidewalk he doesn't want people throwing trash such as empty bottles or cans in the bed of his truck.

Lethal Nemesis
04-21-12, 08:04 PM
you get more maneuverability when you back in, kinda like how you have more range when you parallel park by backing into it rather than pulling forward into it.

Dan
04-21-12, 08:32 PM

Agreed.

My company mandates that everyone back into their stalls at any company-owned office. Like others have said, it's infinitely easier to manoeuvre the vehicle when backing in, and leaving forward is safer because you have a much wider view. We also get to go through drivers' training where we get to back out of a maze without hitting the orange pylons, simulate icy roads, and practice driving into a ditch to avoid a collision. :up: Everyone should have to do this stuff. :D

That said, when I go out to the mall or whatever, I don't always back in. Actually, I find I back in far more often in the winter, when idiot drivers are more abundant.

What's funny is, my city started charging people to park at the parking lots near train stations a couple years back. It was a miserable failure, and they took away the fee pretty quickly, but in those lots, they had signs indicating that they specifically PROHIBITED backing in to a parking spot. Why, you ask?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2737140570_1169c951de.jpg
So THESE assholes didn't have to get out of their car to check your license plate. We don't have front-end license plates here, so if you're backed in, the driver of this parking-enforcement-mobile would have to, *gasp*, step out of their car and walk to the front of your car to see the license plate. And if they had to go through this horrible inconvenience, you'd get a ticket for $50, whether you actually paid to park there or not.

Vibiana
04-21-12, 08:48 PM
I have been hit twice in parking lots by people who were going too fast through the lot when I was backing out of a space. One of them probably had no insurance, since he took off before I could exchange info with him. Therefore, I always back in rather than parking head in.

The only place I know of that specifically forbids backing into parking spaces is the RLDS (Community of Christ) Auditorium in Independence, Missouri where I rehearse Messiah Choir every fall. They don't want people backing in because the exhaust kills the plants they have growing in the parking lot medians. Plus, Joseph Smith probably condemned backing into parking spaces because he didn't know how to back up a horse and buggy. :D

mickey65
04-21-12, 09:53 PM
Or the douches in the trucks & SUVs who park in the spots marked for "small car only".

Tracer Bullet
04-21-12, 10:00 PM
This isn't relevant to the thread at all but I'd like to take this opportunity to say that even though I don't own a vehicle and hardly drive, I am awesome at parallel parking. I rented a Uhaul pickup to move a desk and parked it in like 10 seconds.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-21-12, 10:57 PM
Agreed.

My company mandates that everyone back into their stalls at any company-owned office. Like others have said, it's infinitely easier to manoeuvre the vehicle when backing in, and leaving forward is safer because you have a much wider view. We also get to go through drivers' training where we get to back out of a maze without hitting the orange pylons, simulate icy roads, and practice driving into a ditch to avoid a collision. :up: Everyone should have to do this stuff. :D

That said, when I go out to the mall or whatever, I don't always back in. Actually, I find I back in far more often in the winter, when idiot drivers are more abundant.

What's funny is, my city started charging people to park at the parking lots near train stations a couple years back. It was a miserable failure, and they took away the fee pretty quickly, but in those lots, they had signs indicating that they specifically PROHIBITED backing in to a parking spot. Why, you ask?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2737140570_1169c951de.jpg
So THESE assholes didn't have to get out of their car to check your license plate. We don't have front-end license plates here, so if you're backed in, the driver of this parking-enforcement-mobile would have to, *gasp*, step out of their car and walk to the front of your car to see the license plate. And if they had to go through this horrible inconvenience, you'd get a ticket for $50, whether you actually paid to park there or not.

I have been to some of the transit parking lots where they have signs that say head in parking only. And my state requires a front plate.

dhmac
04-21-12, 11:02 PM
Bentley, maybe. But a BMW? Haha.
When someone intentionally double-parks like this, it's almost always a Bimmer.

spankasmurf
04-21-12, 11:04 PM
Think about the position of the front axle to the front bumper and the position of the rear axle to the rear bumper. Then think about the center of rotation as you turn the wheel when you park. You have more maneuverability on the front end which is out in the road as you back in. If you went in front first, the more maneuverable part of the truck would be between cars where you have less room. At least, that's what I found when driving my truck. Not doing it to be an ass or to showoff, it's just easier.

Sdallnct
04-22-12, 12:42 AM
This is a terrible way to bolster your argument.

Silly statements usually result in silly arguments.

My Other Self
04-22-12, 01:42 AM
I have been to some of the transit parking lots where they have signs that say head in parking only. And my state requires a front plate.I've lived in 2 other states. One was rear only the other required both. I also never saw people drive around with no plates whatsoever.

Since I've moved out here, it seems like every other car on the road either has the dealer plates (those plastic things with the dealership name on them), no plates at all, just the rear, or expired tags. Is this stuff really enforced? Maybe it's different in So Cal but up here I am I've never seen anyone really bat an eye at it.

Blade
04-22-12, 05:11 AM

I see this a lot as I go to Costco for work at least once a week. It always bugged me a bit and I finally realized why.

It's not so much that you're going to a place like Costco and backing in makes no sense (and I mean this for all vehicles, not just trucks), since it makes it harder to load your car up when you're done shopping.

It's that if I have to wait for a car, I prefer to be waiting for them to vacate a parking space, rather than waiting for them to fill one up.

I wasn't, however, aware that there was that much of a difference backing into a stall with a truck, though given how crowded and busy Costco's parking lot usually is, I still have trouble seeing this as being that big a deal.

Living Dead
04-22-12, 05:12 AM

A great deal of satisfaction can be gained from keying the cars of idiots who do this. Especially since parking is so scarce in L.A.

OldDude
04-22-12, 07:11 AM
I live in the newer burbs and most parking lots are the one-way angled-spaces type. What I don't get is people who don't understand the concept, and pull straight through, just to have to drive the wrong way to get out of the isle.

I drive an F250 sometimes and that thing is a pain to swing into a packing space almost anytime. I can't imagine having to back it in while trying to park.

Also, don't forget that with straight parking spaces, people don't really need to back into place. They can just pull straight forward if nobody is there.

The serious answer is your front wheels do the steering and you are SLIGHTLY more manueverable with them in the aisle as long as possible rather than trapped in the narrow space. This advantage is offset by the fact that many people can't back for shit. If you can back accurately, it helps a little on a large vehicle that won't have a lot of spare room when in the space.

Jules Winfield
04-22-12, 07:56 AM
I've noticed this a lot also. I also kind of figured it was just some truck driver thing that the rest of society wasn't privy to. It never really bothers me unless they are backing up into my car because I don't like it when someone hits my car.

TomOpus
04-22-12, 09:40 AM
As long as you can accurately back-up into a space and take up ONLY one space, I'm fine.

dtcarson
04-22-12, 10:10 AM
I don't drive a pickup, but I try to back in (or pull through so I'm facing forward) whenever I can. Habit I learned when I interned with the police department in college, and reinforced by my company safety department.
It's easier, safer, and faster to get out, and I'd normally rather leave quickly than arrive quickly.

I'll see your Bimmer and raise you this jackhole. (Sorry if I've posted it before, this just boggles my mind.)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/dtcarson/photo-52.jpg

superdeluxe
04-22-12, 10:22 AM
Or the douches in the trucks & SUVs who park in the spots marked for "small car only".

Or senior parking

DVD Polizei
04-22-12, 10:28 AM
I don't drive a pickup, but I try to back in (or pull through so I'm facing forward) whenever I can. Habit I learned when I interned with the police department in college, and reinforced by my company safety department.
It's easier, safer, and faster to get out, and I'd normally rather leave quickly than arrive quickly.

I was going to mention some of what you said. If I have to drive to a public event that I know is going to be bat-crazy getting out of the parking lot--like a movie theater or a popular event that has limited parking--I park a little further away and back into a spot. Then, when the event is over, I'm outta there. It amazes me how many people just blindly back-out and expect others to see them.

Osiris3657
04-22-12, 11:19 AM
Pick up drivers are without a doubt the most arrogant. selfish drivers on the road. Worse than Semis, SUVs, Gasoline trucks... any vehicle. They drive faster, cut off more people and ignore laws more than any vehicle. Peel away a pickup truck and most likely you'll find some AHOLE with a small dick inside.

This, so this.

Cardiff Giant11
04-22-12, 12:06 PM

I'll see your Bimmer and raise you this jackhole. (Sorry if I've posted it before, this just boggles my mind.)

ha that's insane and even worse than the BMW considering it's a $25,000 Acura TSX. I usually just park far away (legally and in one spot) if I'm worried about someone door dinging my car or a shopping cart hitting it.

Jack Straw
04-22-12, 12:25 PM
People that drive pickups when they don't need one for any reason are douchebags. Thank you.

Maxflier
04-22-12, 12:28 PM

Where is this? I ask because I am curious about the context of the photo because if it is a place of work like mine, I have parked stupid like that out of convenience without thinking twice about it after hours (like it appears to be in your pic) if I am just running in to do something real quick because:
a) no handicapped person has ever parked in the 3 designated handicapped spots in front of my office area in the entire time I have been working here.
We only have 1 handicapped employee and he works in a totally different area.
b) there isn't going to be more than 3 or 4 cars in the entire facilities parking lot after hours anyway, so it makes no difference whatsoever how you park.

Trevor
04-23-12, 08:35 AM
It is always better to back into the parking spot versus backing into traffic.

This is so basic and logical that I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't back into their spots (or pull through a double spot which accomplishes the same thing).

It's much safer. I work in an emergency room and we get lots of parking lot accidents, almost always involving a person backing out of a spot. We get kids run over in parking lots and driveways more often than you'd think.

VinVega
04-23-12, 09:04 AM
I don't care if people back into a space. It seems unnecessary because you could get hit pulling out front first or back first. Both scenarios are subject to the honey badgers tearing ass through a parking spot with parked cars all around them. That's the real douchery here. I see this all the time in FL. People actually speed up as you're pulling out instead of stopping to let you out. :grumble:

ben12
04-23-12, 10:21 AM
My whole family including me were killed by someone trying to back into a spot. Safer? Bullshit!

cpgator
04-23-12, 11:39 AM
Where is this? I ask because I am curious about the context of the photo because if it is a place of work like mine, I have parked stupid like that out of convenience without thinking twice about it after hours (like it appears to be in your pic) if I am just running in to do something real quick because:
a) no handicapped person has ever parked in the 3 designated handicapped spots in front of my office area in the entire time I have been working here.
b) there isn't going to be more than 3 or 4 cars in the entire facilities parking lot after hours anyway, so it makes no difference whatsoever how you park.

Looks like someone picking up their kid at school after normal hours. Like after practice. Empty parking lot, and they are just waiting for their kid to come out.

Timber
04-23-12, 12:04 PM
It is always better to back into the parking spot versus backing into traffic.

I love watching someone wait for a spot and then proceed to "try" and back into the spot and in the mean time I've parked further away and am in walking past them still trying to park.

I guess I've just never understood the need to park close or I've never had the patience to circle around and find a spot. I'll take the first spot I see, pull in or through andbe done with it. Such a time waster IMO.

Nifty03
04-23-12, 12:23 PM
I love watching someone wait for a spot and then proceed to "try" and back into the spot and in the mean time I've parked further away and am in walking past them still trying to park.

I guess I've just never understood the need to park close or I've never had the patience to circle around and find a spot. I'll take the first spot I see, pull in or through andbe done with it. Such a time waster IMO.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Minor Threat
04-23-12, 01:06 PM

The ticket possibilities there are almost mind-boggling, I'd love to know what kind of ticket combinations an officer could rack up on the fuck-stick that parks like that if the police were called and alerted. What a self-absorbed fucking loser.....

DirkUSA
04-23-12, 01:20 PM
I love people who pull thru to the next spot so they can drive out forward in a parking lot that has one way traffic with angled parking spots. They either have to go the wrong direction when they want to leave or they have a hard time getting out of their spot the right direction especially if the lot is crowded.

Meglos
04-23-12, 01:28 PM
Who peed in y'allses Cheerios?

Truckers did!

CRM114
04-23-12, 01:29 PM
It peeves me when any vehicle backs into a parking spot and makes me wait. What is the point? Don't give me the nonsense that "it's hard to back out."

CRM114
04-23-12, 01:33 PM

:up: :lol:

GoldenJCJ
04-23-12, 06:36 PM
It peeves me when any vehicle backs into a parking spot and makes me wait. What is the point? Don't give me the nonsense that "it's hard to back out."
That's kind of my take on it. These people are just inconsiderate. They'd rather inconvenience me (who's waiting behind them) while they try, and try, to back into a spot rather than inconvenience themselves on the way out because they have to wait for passing traffic before they can back out.

And I know it's mind boggling but I've backed out of thousands of parking spaces in my life and I have yet to hit any passers by. :shrug:

Shazam
04-23-12, 06:57 PM
And I know it's mind boggling but I've backed out of thousands of parking spaces in my life and I have yet to hit any passers by. :shrug:

You just haven't noticed.

GoldenJCJ
04-23-12, 07:08 PM
^ Hey, I'm already paying attention to texting my friends and eating. I can't multitask everything! At some point I might get distracted.

Me007gold
04-23-12, 07:08 PM

Thats strange, I am stuck under your car as I post this

PopcornTreeCt
04-23-12, 07:26 PM
Happy to see all the pick-up truck hate. I commented on this subject during a drunken internet escapade and got chewed out for it.

wishbone
04-23-12, 07:44 PM
Happy to see all the pick-up truck hate. I commented on this subject during a drunken internet escapade and got chewed out for it.Trucks. They're like vehicles for stupid people. Go to the DMV, fail your driver's test, get to drive a truck.

No offense to anyone here that drives trucks. But I really hope you don't.Gee, I wonder why? :lol:

mndtrp
04-24-12, 11:12 PM
I typically back into parking space in any vehicle I drive. The exceptions would be angled parking, if I'm loading something into the bed or trunk, or if I can pull through to the space in front. I like being able to see everything easily when I pull out of a spot.

AGuyNamedMike
04-24-12, 11:43 PM
:lol: at all the truck hate. I drive a truck (I need it. I use the bed to haul all the Massholes, hipster cyclists, and rice-buggy drivers I run over to the dump). I used to drive a tiny little Saturn. They're just vehicles, people.

Back OT. Yeah, head-out parking peeves me too. I see all types of vehicles do it, though, not just trucks.

arinrobinson
05-24-17, 12:45 PM
I also agree that it is more work involved in backing into a parking spot where you have less span of space to deal with than backing into a larger area that exists between the rows of parking.

I live in Texas and have been for over 20 years and have noticed this and thought it was just a thing driver's do simply because that's what you do in Texas, haha and I owned a truck for many of those years. The annoyance is sitting there waiting and waiting for some pickup to back it in back it out until finally they get nestled in. If they simply drove the truck straight in I wouldn't have to wait. And when they back out I promise it would take half the time than backing in. It's funny to hear that it is easier to back into a space than out of one, especially in a truck where you can clearly see the end of your vehicle. I say nope, that's not true.

Oh well, each to his own.

devilshalo
05-24-17, 01:00 PM
There are more blind spots and things to avoid trying to back out of a parking space and into traffic then there are backing in to a spot.

Giantrobo
05-24-17, 01:05 PM
There are more blind spots and things to avoid trying to back out of a parking space and into traffic then there are backing in to a spot.

:up: Backing in you don't have to worry about other cars and pedestrians driving going by as you reverse into the space. Then when it's time to go, you have a nice clear view.

Mrs. Danger
05-24-17, 01:20 PM
I also agree that it is more work involved in backing into a parking spot where you have less span of space to deal with than backing into a larger area that exists between the rows of parking.

I live in Texas and have been for over 20 years and have noticed this and thought it was just a thing driver's do simply because that's what you do in Texas, haha and I owned a truck for many of those years. The annoyance is sitting there waiting and waiting for some pickup to back it in back it out until finally they get nestled in. If they simply drove the truck straight in I wouldn't have to wait. And when they back out I promise it would take half the time than backing in. It's funny to hear that it is easier to back into a space than out of one, especially in a truck where you can clearly see the end of your vehicle. I say nope, that's not true.

Oh well, each to his own.

Hi, new member!

I'm on your side. I also hold a special disdain for people who drive trucks simply for style. You can tell, they have too much shine and chrome to actually use them to haul things in. I drive a wagon, myself. All the things I need to haul will fit in it, it gets decent mileage, and I can out accelerate trucks at the light.

I don't back into parking spaces, it's dumb.

Adam Tyner
05-24-17, 02:25 PM
There are more blind spots and things to avoid trying to back out of a parking space and into traffic then there are backing in to a spot.For people who are capable of backing into a space, I'm all for it.

The people who spend 20 minutes or whatever backing in, pulling up, realigning, backing in, pulling up, lather, rinse, repeat...ugh.

AGuyNamedMike
05-24-17, 04:02 PM
Hello new member and thread resurrector!

I still drive a truck.

I still park head-in only.

How better to allow easy access to the back of the vehicle? You know, to add or remove stuff from the bed, trunk, or hatchback...

cungar
05-24-17, 05:30 PM
:lol: at all the truck hate. I drive a truck (I need it. I use the bed to haul all the Massholes, hipster cyclists, and rice-buggy drivers I run over to the dump). I used to drive a tiny little Saturn. They're just vehicles, people.

Back OT. Yeah, head-out parking peeves me too. I see all types of vehicles do it, though, not just trucks.

Just because you drive a pickup and are a responsible driver, doesn't mean a huge number of pickup drivers don't drive like idiots. And yes it is a proportionately higher number than sedans and SUVs.

dtcarson
05-24-17, 06:02 PM

It was at the local elementary school. I was in the parking lot for some reason - pickup, dropoff, I don't recall. It wasn't in peak school time. That said, still. Sometimes the right or wrong thing is still the right or wrong thing even if it is unlikely to have an immediate impact, and this is one of those things.
I recall a couple of bad karma times when someone would park in the fire lane in front of my store to "run in" for one quick thing - one time the car got towed, and another time they got a ticket. And of course rather than going out and saying "Oh I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have done that", they run out yelling "HEY You SOB! Bring me back my *$&#ing car!" The tow truck driver drove faster.
And at least once a week when I worked with the PD, the detectives investigated a car theft - where the victim "ran in for a minute".

Anyway - Yes backing in can take more time than backing out - but I'm backing in between at most two stationary vehicles, instead of backing out into potential traffic.

There definitely can be an advantage in loading when parked nose-in, I'll grant you. In that case I tend to pull through, and park way out in nowhere, so I have a free space behind me to load in. Sometimes someone parks there, but not often.

Actually, with a truck, that's less of an issue, because of the whole truck bed thing (unless you have a bed cover or roof on the back.)

GoldenJCJ
05-24-17, 07:50 PM
I forgot I started this thread.

And it's still a pet peeve of mine.

Welcome, new guy. :wave:

kd5
05-24-17, 09:09 PM
What I find silly is when people with those long-assed dual-cab full-bed pickup trucks try to park them in a regular-sized parking spot and leave 5 to 6 feet of their truck sticking out in the road. If you're driving one of those, just park somewhere where you can pull through a parking space and leave part of that long-assed pickup truck in the spot behind you. You create a hazard for everyone else when you leave part of your truck sticking that far out in the road. If it's raining, too bad. You wanted one of those long-assed trucks, deal with it.

I've watched people try to park, whether forward or backward, there are some people that just can't drive worth a damn, let alone park.

Jon2
05-24-17, 10:31 PM
Don't see this much. Can't imagine what kind of issues someone might have that simply seeing vehicles parked like that would upset them. PTSD, maybe?

I've never ran into this issue... where someone backing into a spot caused me a problem. I do get incredibly pissed off at people who take an excessive amount of time 1) putting their purchases in their vehicles and/or 2) leaving a parking spot.

At any rate, I've had a couple of small Nissan trucks over the years. Wonderful for hauling things that will never fit into a wagon, SUV or even a minivan. Never felt the urge to back them (or any vehicle) into parking spots. I hate backing up so much I avoid parallel parking if at all possible.

However, I do (depending on how the parking lot is built) pull through if the facing space is empty, so that I can drive forward when pulling out. It's real safety issue. Better visibility. I've lost track of the number of times I've been backing out slowly and narrowly missed some moron who assumes I can see them coming. Pedestrians or vehicles. Not possible if wagons, SUVs, or minivans are parked next to me. Which they are, often as not.

Dan
05-25-17, 03:19 AM
In my experience, the average person backing OUT of a parking spot generally take longer than the people backing IN.

Also, y'know, blind spots:
http://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/backovers/
http://i.imgur.com/eAW5Y10.png

In standard parking lots... backing in is the best/safest option unless you specifically need access to your trunk for larger items, which I don't think anyone disputes, really.

In angled lots... which are usually at grocery stores or places where you're expected to have a shopping cart or large items... the whole point of angled spots is to give better visibility for backing out AND controlling the flow of traffic. So... angled spots... pull in and back out.

Parallel parking, well... the best way to do it is... yup... back in. That's why they teach it that way. You can only pull in forward if there's a LOT more room on both sides.

It just takes practice. Generally, the people who suck at backing in are the same people who suck (even worse, IMO) at backing out, and I guarantee everyone's had to wait on people backing out a lot more often, too. Backup cameras have made both tasks relatively simpler/safer, but not 100%. You're still more likely to back over someone when backing out than you are when backing in.

Mrs. Danger
05-25-17, 09:07 AM
You park backward in parallel parking?

Dan
05-25-17, 09:53 AM
You park backward in parallel parking?

You pull forward beside the car in front of the spot, then you reverse into the spot, yes. At least, that's how it should be done. I personally prefer the Inspector Gadget method.

Maybe I worded it poorly due to being awake at a dumb time because of work. :sad:

RichC2
05-25-17, 10:04 AM
This has gotten more irritating to me lately, I bought a new car a few months ago, within a few weeks - despite parking away from everyone - I had a pretty large dent thanks to a jackass that couldn't figure out how to back his truck into a space properly.

And most of them can't seem to figure out how to park in the middle of the lines, leaving inches on one side or another, and a few think their F-250s are compact vehicles.

Another reason for backing into some spaces is the truck bed overhang (if backing into a space that backs up to a partition of some sort) at least that part I get.

funkyryno
05-25-17, 11:12 AM
About half the men in my middle-class neighborhood own giant full-size pickups, and I think only two of them use them for any type of work. A guy on my block commutes to work in a lifted diesel F-350 with mud tires, probably one of the most impractical commuter vehicles you could find. It's like they're trying to convince the world they're real men, and not low-testosterone desk jockeys. People can obviously buy and drive whatever they want, but the big truck trend is kind of ridiculous.

Full disclosure: I drive and own a smallish Nissan pickup. But I don't use it as a commuter vehicle. It fits in most parking spaces, regularly carries loads in the back, the 4-wheel drive gets used often and it's seen plenty of muddy dirt roads. So I can justify owning it. Sort of. If I try hard enough.

As for backing into spots, I see the logic in it, but I rarely do as I admittedly suck at it.

AGuyNamedMike
05-25-17, 01:01 PM
...doesn't mean a huge number of pickup drivers don't drive like idiots. And yes it is a proportionately higher number than sedans and SUVs.

Like women, old people, and Asians?

Hiro11
05-25-17, 01:26 PM
I've noticed the head-out parking thing. It seems like a bit of a "competent pick up truck man" thing, but it certainly doesn't bother me.

I will say that as an avid cyclist, I've noticed that the rate of douchebaggery directed towards cyclists among pick-up drivers is much higher than other drivers. If someone buzzes you a foot away from your left elbow at 50 MPH, it was probably a pick-up driver. If someone shouts "***" at you and then floors it, it's probably a pick-up driver. If someone throws a bottle at you, it's probably a pick-up driver. If someone squeezes by in a no-passing zone on a blind curve almost causing an accident when they run into oncoming traffic, it's probably a pick-up driver. Presence of Browning/ Salt Life / No Fear / Calvin peeing stickers in rear window automatically redouble the rate of douchebaggery.

I will say that second only to pick up drivers is douchebaggery are middle aged women in minivans.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
05-25-17, 01:36 PM
I don't care about people who back into parking spaces, as long as they are competent at backing in. People who back into diagonal spaces drive me nuts though. First of all, they're angled so that traffic should only be coming from one direction, which should make traffic completely visible to the person backing out of the space. So if you're backing into one, you were probably already driving in the wrong direction.

And second of all, in order to pull out of a diagonal space when you're facing head out, you either have to pull out again in the wrong direction, or you have to make a really funky wide turn, which is hard to do with other cars next to you, and the driving lane is usually not big enough to accommodate such a turn, because it's built for one lane, single direction traffic.

The Cow
05-25-17, 01:43 PM
^^ Since you mentioned the diagonal parking spaces.

I hate arenas and stadiums that have those when most people are trying to get out at once. That is one of the places I prefer people to back in the spots (without the diagonal parking).

Rob V
05-25-17, 01:56 PM
I recently got into a 4-door F150 (with standard 6' bed) as a work lease... aside from being easier to pull out of spots, the damned turning radius is so big on a truck that you almost need to always stop, back up and pull in straight into any spot anyways. To each his own, but I do tend to back in when appropriate... I'd never make a person behind me stop so I could pull off that move.

Josh-da-man
05-25-17, 03:23 PM
About half the men in my middle-class neighborhood own giant full-size pickups, and I think only two of them use them for any type of work. A guy on my block commutes to work in a lifted diesel F-350 with mud tires, probably one of the most impractical commuter vehicles you could find. It's like they're trying to convince the world they're real men, and not low-testosterone desk jockeys. People can obviously buy and drive whatever they want, but the big truck trend is kind of ridiculous.

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/1028x675/format/jpg/quality/85/http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fb6a976fddd423a82ef6019d1fb446374%2F205086240%2F6 56981876.jpg

msdmoney
05-26-17, 03:54 AM
I've noticed this too and its a pet peeve of my mine. Mainly it seems that everyone that backs in screws it up, inevitably, feels like every time. They always seem incredulous, but I think its the norm. So I wait while they back up and pull forward three or so times, just this once.

Nosebleed
05-26-17, 05:27 AM
My neighbors always back into their driveway. We live on a quiet street with very little traffic, so there isn't a safety reason for doing it like others have mentioned for backing out of a spot in a parking lot. It literally takes less time to back out of the driveway and drive away than it does for them to carefully back their vehicles into the driveway. WHY, GODDAMN IT? They flip up their wiper blades all winter long too, and that also makes me shake my head.

Vibiana
05-26-17, 07:20 AM
I always park facing out, but I don't back in--I go far enough out in the lot that I can pull across the line between the rows of cars. *shrug*

Troy Stiffler
05-26-17, 07:40 AM

Oh wow. Old thread. I do NOT miss driving this beast. It was a long bed and a huge pain in the arse.

Nosebleed
05-26-17, 07:58 AM
I always park facing out, but I don't back in--I go far enough out in the lot that I can pull across the line between the rows of cars. *shrug*

I also do this.

Tom Banjo
05-26-17, 11:25 AM
I was once told that there's a common misconception that tow trucks can't hook to the front of vehicles, so people behind on payments and fearing reposession will do this. It's BS, but may be the reason some people do it.
And yeah, it's super common with the rednecks here in Alabama with their jacked up diesel trucks covered in Browning/Confederate flag/Crimson Tide/Salt Life/Assault Life/Pissing Calvin/Don't Tread On Me stickers.

devilshalo
05-26-17, 11:35 AM
My neighbors always back into their driveway. We live on a quiet street with very little traffic, so there isn't a safety reason for doing it like others have mentioned for backing out of a spot in a parking lot. It literally takes less time to back out of the driveway and drive away than it does for them to carefully back their vehicles into the driveway. WHY, GODDAMN IT? They flip up their wiper blades all winter long too, and that also makes me shake my head.

Because it makes for a quick emergency exit situation? Just get in your car and drive forward instead of doing a reverse two point turn?

Giantrobo
05-26-17, 12:27 PM
Lol @ all the folks who get offended and annoyed with folks who back in.

CRM114
05-26-17, 01:52 PM
Never understood the need to back in to a space to begin with - you put the time in when you come or when you go. There are circumstances when backing in makes sense but as an everyday practical manner, its annoying to wait for someone to back in.

My last two cars had rear cameras (don't they all nowadays?) and my new car chimes like fuck if a car or person is anywhere near my backend when I put it in reverse.

CRM114
05-26-17, 01:53 PM
In standard parking lots... backing in is the best/safest option unless you specifically need access to your trunk for larger items, which I don't think anyone disputes, really.

How do you know there aren't kids in your blind spot in the parking spot you are backing into? Argument is lame.

Vibiana
05-26-17, 02:11 PM
All you parking Nazis need to chill out, it's Friday. :lol:

I haven't got a garage or driveway in front of my townhouse, so I have to parallel park. I am quite proud of how good I've gotten at it over the years. haha

Also, I never back in, as I said ... I drive across the line when both adjacent spaces are empty. The idea for me is NEVER having to back in OR back up, so that I don't HIT anybody with my huge, punishing Ford Focus. :D

hail2dking
05-26-17, 02:14 PM
I have and F-150 crew cab with 6.5' bed. The turn radius is large. Pulling straight into most retail parking stalls is a pain, I usually have to straighten out a couple times to fit (as it requires a wider swing to get the ass end straight). Backing in is much easier as it allows for a tighter swing. So in retail spaces with a smaller lot, backing in is ideal. Places like Costco, with wider stalls and wider aisles, pulling in head first works fine. It's all about the turn radius. My wife's CR-V turns on a dime and I can park that anywhere.

SterlingBen
05-26-17, 02:19 PM
My gf drives a truck and she always backs in. She says it's because of this but I suspect there is also a bit of a pride thing going on.

You have just convinced me to back in at work from now on.

Giantrobo
05-26-17, 05:20 PM
For you folks who don't know how to back in. :p

Vn8ldEIVjMo

Giantrobo
05-26-17, 05:22 PM
Backing in is better (http://www.slate.com/articles/life/transport/2011/02/youre_parking_wrong.html)

Backing into traffic in parking lots is more hazardous than you might think. Parking lot crash statistics are a bit hazy, particularly for crashes involving only property damage, but a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in 2001 and 2002 found that 14 percent of all damage claims involved crashes in parking lots (some number of which must have involved vehicles moving in and out of spaces). More seriously, there is a whole category of crashes, often fatal, tracked by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, called “backover crashes”: These typically occur in driveways and parking lots, often involve children, and happen at a higher rate to drivers of SUVs and "light-duty trucks," owing to the reduced visibility they offer (not just to their drivers but to those parked adjacent). Indeed, the last crash I was involved with occurred when a driver backed his SUV from a parking space into my driver's side door as I waited for traffic to clear.

General Zod
05-26-17, 06:49 PM
I saw on TV recently a parking lot where when you pull in tells you your spot # and you just pull forward into that spot like Vibiana was saying. If there are no pull through spots available it gives you a spot behind the car that's been there the longest - ensuring that by the time you are done you'll be able to pull through and out without having to back up.

Dan
05-26-17, 07:54 PM
How do you know there aren't kids in your blind spot in the parking spot you are backing into? Argument is lame.

Because 99% of the time, you've literally just slowed down in front of the spot, with a full view of what's around you?

The point is whether it's safer to go in reverse while you've already driven past the area, or to go in reverse after being parked for any amount of time.

This feels like the Monty Hall argument :lol: Statistics are on the side of reverse parking, y'all.

(and again, to be clear, no one's saying you shouldn't park forwards if you need access to the trunk for large items/loads, but otherwise... reverse parking in standard parking spots/driveways is safer. Period.) :D

PS: NO YOU'RE LAME!!!! ;)

Nick Danger
05-27-17, 01:29 PM

I back into the driveway. We live on a quiet street. So quiet that kids play in front of our house.

movie diva
05-29-17, 02:12 PM
I always back in, its just so easy to pull out of a parking space, unless I'm at Costco, need easy access to the trunk, for the pallet of what ever you have just purchased

Troy Stiffler
05-29-17, 02:16 PM
I back into the driveway in case a zombie situation unfolds. Quicker getaway. You never know!

SterlingBen
06-02-17, 06:23 PM

You have just convinced me to back in at work from now on.
Been doing this for about a week now and I am sold. It does have a slightly uplifting effect when leaving work.

Deftones
06-02-17, 07:17 PM
My work prohibits backing into parking spots in our structure.

Shady12
06-22-17, 02:17 PM
I back into spots/my driveway when possible. Backing into traffic gives me anxiety, and it's just easier to pull out forward. Plus if you drive a large pickup pulling in front ways is just more difficult than backing in. People who don't like backers in and don't like people driving trucks piss me off. ;) I'd never own a car. They are uncomfortable to get in and out of being low, and harder to see when driving. I also can't imagine not having a bed to haul stuff around when needed.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0