DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Brat Pitt vs Tom Cruz

JumpCutz
04-21-12, 02:01 AM
Two of the biggest "movie stars" on the planet.

Who is the better actor?

Bonus question: What is their best work? (Please list only one film for either)

EDIT: Brat Pitt? Whoops! :lol: Can a mod please fix my spelling error?

mhg83
04-21-12, 02:11 AM
Two of the biggest "movie stars" on the planet.

Who is the better actor?

Bonus question: What is their best work? (Please list only one film for either)

EDIT: Brat Pitt? Whoops! :lol: Can a mod (Suprmallet) please fix my spelling error?

Brad Pitt definitely. Best performance "Fight Club"

If i had to choose for Cruise i think his best performance was in "Magnolia"

MoviePage
04-21-12, 02:25 AM
Tom Cruise is a better and far more versatile actor, in my opinion. Brad Pitt has certainly improved from his early days, but he's still pretty bland most of the time and has problems communicating any sort of emotion (unless you count cockiness as an emotion).

Best performance: Collateral or Magnolia, tough decision. Bonus points for being in a Kubrick film.

antspawn
04-21-12, 02:28 AM
Tom Cruise is a better and far more versatile actor, in my opinion.

:thumbsup:

Chadm
04-21-12, 02:38 AM
Tough question. I'm not gonna vote, but I will say Tom Cruise's body of work doesn't hold a candle to Pitts. Pitt's been in so many great films. Cruise's great films are few and far between.

Charlie Goose
04-21-12, 02:47 AM
Pitt is the better actor.

Cruise has gotten much better, but he spent the first half of his career playing the same type:
The Cocky Young _________ (agent) (football player) (bartender) (lawyer) (pilot) (pool shark), etc.

Pitt's best work is Seven.
Cruise's is Collateral

Ash Ketchum
04-21-12, 06:42 AM
That's a tough question. Pitt has done way more showy, actor-y performances that get him a lot of acclaim, while Cruise has generally stuck to safe movie star parts. But when Cruise steps out of his comfort zone, he can be a really powerful actor and not just a movie star. I hold up COLLATERAL as evidence. And some would argue MAGNOLIA as well. Too bad he doesn't do that more often. But he IS a really good movie star.

But they're both way better than we would have thought they'd be when they were just starting out. With Cruise--we're talking 29 years ago! With Pitt, 21 years! They both deserve credit for longevity, staying at the top of the field for all this time. And I actually consider them both better actors than Johnny Depp who gets a lot of praise for doing what is essentially just schtick. Both Pitt and Cruise are capable of giving deeply affecting performances and I'm not sure I've ever seen something like that from Depp.

TGM
04-21-12, 08:10 AM
Pitt. and his best work was 12 Monkeys.

leacha
04-21-12, 08:18 AM
Best comment given in any of these polls.:)

That's a tough question. Pitt has done way more showy, actor-y performances that get him a lot of acclaim, while Cruise has generally stuck to safe movie star parts. But when Cruise steps out of his comfort zone, he can be a really powerful actor and not just a movie star. I hold up COLLATERAL as evidence. And some would argue MAGNOLIA as well. Too bad he doesn't do that more often. But he IS a really good movie star.

But they're both way better than we would have thought they'd be when they were just starting out. With Cruise--we're talking 29 years ago! With Pitt, 21 years! They both deserve credit for longevity, staying at the top of the field for all this time. And I actually consider them both better actors than Johnny Depp who gets a lot of praise for doing what is essentially just schtick. Both Pitt and Cruise are capable of giving deeply affecting performances and I'm not sure I've ever seen something like that from Depp.

coli
04-21-12, 08:44 AM
I think Pitt is a good actor, but a bit overrated simply because he the women love him. He has more talent then DiCaprio and Clooney, who are true simply good looking guys who are in Hollywood because of their looks.

I don't think Cruise has huge range, but can play the cocky-prick role to perfection: Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, and even Top Gun, he pulls those roles off perfectly. I will say that his best role is 'Born on the 4th of July' as I have yet to see Brad Pitt do anything close to this.

jmu878
04-21-12, 08:59 AM
Pitts in three of my favorite flicks ever: Fight Club, Snatch, & Inglourious Basterds, plus a slew of other quality roles, so I give it to him.

Cruise is good as well, but most of his roles are too one dimensional.

kd5
04-21-12, 09:12 AM
Can't choose, they're both good. -kd5-

tommyp007
04-21-12, 09:40 AM
Cruise, and I agree that his best work is "Collateral"

Rival11
04-21-12, 10:31 AM
Brad Pitt can't act....ugh, sorry - good on him for making more money than I can ever dream of making and banging some of the hottest chicks on the planet but........come on, this dude can't act for shit. :lol: "he's just another good looking retard" - can't remember where I heard that but that pretty much nails it.

Tom Cruise isn't that great either but he's definitely better than Pitt.

Coral
04-21-12, 10:37 AM
I'll go with Pitt, and I think Cruise's best performance is in Magnolia.

Iron_Giant
04-21-12, 12:12 PM
I have enjoyed so many of Tom C movies and I have only enjoyed 1 or 2 Brad P movies.

Tom has done a lot of action movies which I like much more than Brad movies.

MoneyBall was my fav Brad movies are Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Tend to like the Movie over the Actor.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 12:22 PM

this 100% truth. Personally..I'd consider Cruse to have more range...he just chooses not to go out of it the safe zone too much. Which is sad. Love Pitt more though cuz of his association w/ movies that I prefer more often.

I think Pitt is a good actor, but a bit overrated simply because he the women love him. He has more talent then DiCaprio and Clooney, who are true simply good looking guys who are in Hollywood because of their looks.

I don't think Cruise has huge range, but can play the cocky-prick role to perfection: Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, and even Top Gun, he pulls those roles off perfectly. I will say that his best role is 'Born on the 4th of July' as I have yet to see Brad Pitt do anything close to this.

Talent? I'd argue that Pitt has great talent. Though I'd add that Clooney is a better actor than Pitt (also a very solid director) and that DiCaprio is very overrated (but that he's pretty good) and is still growing...the problem w/ him is that...you can see that he's growing..but also...trying too hard maybe.

Brad Pitt can't act....ugh, sorry - good on him for making more money than I can ever dream of making and banging some of the hottest chicks on the planet but........come on, this dude can't act for shit. :lol: "he's just another good looking retard" - can't remember where I heard that but that pretty much nails it.

Tom Cruise isn't that great either but he's definitely better than Pitt.

I dunno..Fight Club is pretty solid w/ his acting. Dug him in Assassination of Jesse James, he had a level of uniqueness..things...under the water as they say. Did solid work in Babel, Benjamin Button, Se7en, Inglorious Basterds, and I did believe he was that dad in Tree of Life.

CloverClover
04-21-12, 01:01 PM
IMO Cruise has way more personality and talent, it is just the last five or so years PITT has schooled him

Collateral he was great in, but now, choosing to be a boring action star in one ridiculous project after another, it's a walking joke. He used to be a legit actor. I think scientology ruined talented people like Tom Cruise and Will Smith, if you look at the projects they choose now, they're all mindless 'for the masses' stuff

TomOpus
04-21-12, 01:13 PM
It's a tough choice. Really like both so I picked Cruise since he's behind in the poll :D

As for his best role, IMO, I'll go with Jerry Maguire. I think I connected with his character more than other roles.

fumanstan
04-21-12, 01:30 PM
I think Brad Pitt is the better actor, but BOTH are underrated as far as their acting ability. Pitt's been in some great movies, and I think he's shown his range with a lot of unique and quirky performances, like in 12 Monkeys, Fight Club, Snatch, Burn After Reading, and Inglorious Bastards. He's also been able to do serious stuff, action, and comedic roles all very well.

I like Cruise too, but I think he picks more safe roles that play to his strengths.

It's kind of funny how differing the opinions are here, with picking one or the other and saying the other has no range :lol:

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 02:01 PM
Tom Cruise is the better actor. I think he's given a number of truly fantastic performances. Collateral, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia to name just a few. I think his best performance is Born on the Fourth of July.

Pitt's definitely improved in just the last 5 or 10 years but he's still not up to par with Cruise. I thought his performance in Se7en was mediocre at best. His acting in the "What's in the box?" scene is damn near laughable!

Pitt's best performance is definitely The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. A film I love more and more each time I see it.

Shannon Nutt
04-21-12, 05:55 PM
Michael Caine once said that it was Tom Cruise, not Dustin Hoffman who deserved the Oscar for RAIN MAN. If a great actor says that Tom Cruise is a great actor, who am I to argue? (I also happen to agree.)

For the record though, Pitt's best work is the not-widely-seen THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD.

Cruise's best work is EYES WIDE SHUT (yeah, I said it!)

RocShemp
04-21-12, 06:03 PM
I vote for Cruise. His best are Born on the Fourth of July and Collateral.

Pitt is good but doesn't hold a candle to Cruise. That said, Pitt's best are The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and, if you can get passed the automotive ping-pong scene, Meet Joe Black.

Supermallet
04-21-12, 06:10 PM
EDIT: Brat Pitt? Whoops! :lol: Can a mod please fix my spelling error?

Fixed the title. Happy to help!

Dr Mabuse
04-21-12, 06:12 PM
Pitt is the better actor, but Cruise does solid work, and has a long history of some solid films behind him.

Supermallet
04-21-12, 06:16 PM
Pitt for 12 Monkeys, Inglourious Basterds, Tree of Life, Seven, and Fight Club.

Tom Cruise for Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, and Tropic Thunder.

Hard to choose.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 06:25 PM
Dig the new title...

GoldenJCJ
04-21-12, 06:25 PM
:up: :lol:

antspawn
04-21-12, 06:40 PM

:lol:

RocShemp
04-21-12, 06:44 PM

That's awesome but... ¿Quien carajo es Tom Cruz? Is that Tom Cruise's non-union Mexican equivalent?

Mike86
04-21-12, 06:45 PM
This is kind of a hard one to decide. For Pitt I like Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Fight Club, Snatch, the Oceans series, Burn After Reading, Inglourious Basterds, Moneyball. For Cruise I like Born on the 4th of July, the Mission: Impossible series, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, and Minority Report. So I guess they're pretty close to equal really. I'd give the edge slightly to Pitt just becaue I think he's a bit more likable and I think he has more solid movies where Cruise has more fluff (especially recently).

Jam Master Jay
04-21-12, 06:48 PM
Personally, I prefer Tom Crooze!
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/profile01/148/48c67ec306964108ad429a41d39278d7/p.jpg

RocShemp
04-21-12, 06:49 PM
Since we're talking of a different guy entirely, Tom Cruz' best work was Nacido en el Cinco de Mayo.

dhmac
04-21-12, 07:23 PM
Wow, I thought this poll would be a rout.

Brad Pitt has generally been in good to great movies and has some range.

Tom Cruise has generally been in just a few good movies and he's insane... plus he has almost no range.

JumpCutz
04-21-12, 08:36 PM

You bastard! :lol:

MoviePage
04-21-12, 08:49 PM

lol

FRwL
04-22-12, 04:32 AM
Hehehe.at title.

Cruise. Born on the 4th of July was from 89 even. Pitt has only just begun to be worthwhile in the last couple of years. Both can play up the cockyness but Cruise has more humanity even if he is kookoo offscreen.

davidh777
04-22-12, 02:02 PM
rotfl

inri222
04-22-12, 02:33 PM
Cruise needs to put his ego aside and like Pitt choose better projects & directors to work with.
He needs to shut the fuck up and do a film with someone like Cronenberg or Von Trier and let them direct.
I thought Kubrick got an excellent performance out of him.
With that being said, IMO Cruise is the better actor.

Shannon Nutt
04-22-12, 03:19 PM
Could have been worse...could have been changed to Tom Coose.

james2025a
04-22-12, 07:53 PM
Well Brad Pitt appeared in one of my favourite movies (Fight Club), and he has been in a lot of movies i enjoy (True Romance, Moneyball, Interview with the Vampire, Spy Game), but i find a lot of his acting in movies to be kinda samey.

Cruise i think is a pretty solid actor but has never stretched himself as far as he could. The closest he has gotten is Eyes Wide Shut. My vote went for him simply because he has worked with an amazing array of directors and that in itself is a skill.

Mabuse
04-23-12, 03:19 PM
According to Robin Quivers Brad Pitt is not a star.

Shannon Nutt
04-23-12, 03:31 PM
Cruise i think is a pretty solid actor but has never stretched himself as far as he could. The closest he has gotten is Eyes Wide Shut.

That's an interesting take, since I believe that's more true of Pitt than of Cruise. Between Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with a Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, The Last Samauri, Collateral, Lions for Lambs, and the upcoming Rock of Ages (not to mention his cameo in Tropic Thunder), Cruise (to me) has taken far more risks as an actor than Pitt...who, other than maybe Fight Club and a couple others, always plays the straight-laced good guy.

Solid Snake
04-23-12, 05:54 PM
According to Robin Quivers Brad Pitt is not a star.

who the fuck is Robin Quivers? Is this someone we should know of?

Defiant1
04-23-12, 06:03 PM
Let's just call it a draw then. Although Cruise hasn't been in a Oscar-bait auteur-type film since 2004's Collateral while Pitt has been on a roll with multiple ambitious Oscar-baiting projects since 2006 while still putting in some crowd pleasers, sometimes combining them.

nando820
04-23-12, 06:35 PM
though choice sir, though choice! i personally like Pitts puppy eyes but Cruise has that cute boy look... let me consult with my pillow

inri222
04-23-12, 06:37 PM
who the fuck is Robin Quivers? Is this someone we should know of?

http://www.glamquo.com/robin_quivers.jpg

FRwL
04-23-12, 09:01 PM
......who the shit???

Terrell
04-23-12, 09:22 PM
I'm going to have to go with Cruise, and that's even surprising to me. I watched Seven last night on cable, and Pitt was not as good or convincing as I remembered him being. In fact, the ending when he learned of his wife was not convincing at all.

Cruise in Magnolia and Collateral trumps it. Cruise is however, the wackier of the two.

jfoobar
04-23-12, 10:10 PM
Michael Caine once said that it was Tom Cruise, not Dustin Hoffman who deserved the Oscar for RAIN MAN.

More than once during his early career, Cruise turned in an excellent performance only to be upstaged by a more famous and accomplished co-star. The Color of Money is another example of this and I would argue that his performance was equal to that of Newman's and possibly among his very best.

Pitt's career has been more of a story of quite competent (and often quite memorable) but not technically spectacular performances in a fairly wide array of good films. His looks obviously help quite a bit as well.

RocShemp
04-23-12, 10:12 PM
Howard Stern likes to call himself Robin Quivers? :hscratch:

inri222
04-23-12, 10:55 PM
Howard Stern likes to call himself Robin Quivers? :hscratch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Quivers

Robin Ophelia Quivers (born August 8, 1952) is an American radio personality, author, and actor,
best known for being the long-running news anchor and co-host of The Howard Stern Show.

CloverClover
04-24-12, 12:09 AM
I think you are all mistaking Brad Pitt's film choices for his acting. CRUISE was one of the great movie stars for 20 years, because he could command the screen, he lit it up to create amazing 'movie magic'.
I can't think of any roles where Brad Pitt burned the screen like TC, he's a boring actor who chooses good roles and doesn't ruin the films he is in.

watch that vampire film and TC owns the screen, you come away remembering him, while Brad Pitt you forget he was even in it, yet he was the lead. A better comparison is Pitt vs. Clooney ... and Cruise vs. DiCaprio, a lot more similar acting styles

Tom Creo
04-24-12, 12:11 AM
That's an interesting take, since I believe that's more true of Pitt than of Cruise. Between Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with a Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, The Last Samauri, Collateral, Lions for Lambs, and the upcoming Rock of Ages (not to mention his cameo in Tropic Thunder), Cruise (to me) has taken far more risks as an actor than Pitt...who, other than maybe Fight Club and a couple others, always plays the straight-laced good guy.

Agree 100%. Loved Cruise in Interview and Vanilla Sky and I always forget about Tropic Thunder. Man he was hilarious in that.

FRwL
04-24-12, 12:12 AM
I think you are all mistaking Brad Pitt's film choices for his acting. CRUISE was one of the great movie stars for 20 years, because he could command the screen, he lit it up to create amazing 'movie magic'.
I can't think of any roles where Brad Pitt burned the screen like TC, he's a boring actor who chooses good roles and doesn't ruin the films he is in.

watch that vampire film and TC owns the screen, you come away remembering him, while Brad Pitt you forget he was even in it, yet he was the lead.

Yeah he was like a wall in there.

bunkaroo
04-24-12, 01:04 AM
Gotta go with Cruise. He may be batshit crazy but I love his films. Vanilla Sky is a favorite of mine.

Pitt is right there though. Tree of Life was a great performance.

brayzie
04-24-12, 02:08 AM
I will say that his best role is 'Born on the 4th of July' as I have yet to see Brad Pitt do anything close to this.

Agree completely. That was a great film, and an amazing performance by Cruise.

I like Brad Pitt and his roles, but I think that Cruise has more range in what he can pull off as an actor, emotionally.

JumpCutz
04-24-12, 02:13 AM
Hopefully no one here is under the impression that either of these guys is a great actor...right?

They are, of course, gigantic A-list movie stars. Both of them are average actors at best, but have "off the chart" likeability quotients. Certainly each has given very good performances in their respective careers, but mostly they are box-office draws who get out-shadowed by far superior actors in each of their projects.

lamphorn
04-24-12, 06:13 AM
Four inches is fine!

Tom Creo
04-24-12, 09:37 AM
Yep, when I think of "average actors", Cruise and Pitt are the first to come to mind.-rolleyes-