Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Favorite John Huston film?

JumpCutz
04-20-12, 11:54 PM
Which of the films directed by John Huston would you consider your favorite?

Groucho
04-21-12, 12:25 AM
Easily Moulin Rouge. I had no idea he directed that!

JumpCutz
04-21-12, 12:43 AM
Yeah... okay. :lol:

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/img/daily/598/moulin_l.jpg

FRwL
04-21-12, 01:37 AM
Wow he must have used time dilation cameras or some bungshit stuff.

Chadm
04-21-12, 01:47 AM
No Wise Blood, The Dead, Under The Volcano, The Mistfits???? For shame.

John Huston was the most underrated director of the 70's/80's. His work holds up with any American director of that era! But hardly anyone talks about it.

My number one is Wise Blood.

My top 5

5 The Dead
4 Fat City
3 The Misfits
2 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
1 Wise Blood

Charlie Goose
04-21-12, 01:49 AM
Haven't seen a lot of that list, but I'll go with The African Queen, shweetheart.

Mondo Kane
04-21-12, 04:11 AM
3 The Misfits

I think this movie has replaced A Face in the Crowd for TCM's most over-played movie in recent years---But I'm not complaining about that.

Loved a lot of Huston's work, but I have to go with Moby Dick as most favorite. Which is still the best adaptation of the book.

Ash Ketchum
04-21-12, 05:36 AM
For me, it's a toss-up between his two crime classics, THE MALTESE FALCON (his directorial debut) and THE ASPHALT JUNGLE. I went with MALTESE because it's one I go back to and revel in every few years. Just great writing (adapting Dashiell Hammett's wonderful novel) and acting.

Huston once talked about how producers would come to him asking for the rights to remake his various hits--MALTESE FALCON, SIERRA MADRE, AFRICAN QUEEN--and he would stop them and suggest that one film of his that had real possibilities but got botched in the making, THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958), was the one that would most benefit from a remake. No one ever took him up on it. I've taped ROOTS OF HEAVEN off Fox Movie Channel, but have yet to watch it. It's got a great cast: Errol Flynn, Orson Welles, Trevor Howard, Herbert Lom, Eddie Albert.

Hokeyboy
04-21-12, 09:00 AM
Asphalt Jungle. It was tough choosing between this and Maltese Falcon, but in the end 'Asphalt' barely edges it out. Such a perfect noir and riveting from start to finish.

islandclaws
04-21-12, 09:34 AM
Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a flawless masterpiece in every way...

... but - goddamn - did Huston have one impressive resume.

Dr Mabuse
04-21-12, 10:27 AM
Favorite is 'The Man Who Would Be King' easily.

Man... that's one of the most entertaining films ever made.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 10:54 AM
I gots to go w/ The Maltese Falcon. Fucking great debut and great film as well. Just love it. Really wish the BD was like the DVD set we got. Loved seeing how others did the story... then Huston comes in and does in so many ways of awesome.

clckworang
04-21-12, 11:18 AM
Tough choice. Of the ones I have seen, I went back and forth over Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. In the end, I leaned more toward Maltese Falcon.

dhmac
04-21-12, 11:28 AM
I voted for The Maltese Falcon because it's the film of his that I re-watch the most and is probably the greatest remake in film history (which I think means a lot nowadays given that creating a good remake seems like some sort of herculean task to do without messing up).

But others favorites I have out of his films are Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, The Asphalt Jungle, and The Man Who Would Be King.

foofighters7
04-21-12, 11:31 AM
Chinatown

JumpCutz
04-21-12, 12:01 PM
Chinatown

Roman Polanski directed that. -wink-

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 01:48 PM
Sooooo I just saw Wise Blood off of Hulu. I'm not sure if I liked it. I'd like to hear some comments off of that. I'm..just...slightly off balance w/ it. I liked the feel of it but the narrative just leaves me a bit w/ the head cocked out of not possibly understanding.

foofighters7
04-21-12, 02:11 PM
Roman Polanski directed that. -wink-

I know. -wink-

dhmac
04-21-12, 02:19 PM
Sooooo I just saw Wise Blood off of Hulu. I'm not sure if I liked it. I'd like to hear some comments off of that. I'm..just...slightly off balance w/ it. I liked the feel of it but the narrative just leaves me a bit w/ the head cocked out of not possibly understanding.
I saw it years ago and didn't like it at all. It's been so long that I can't remember what it was about it that made me not like it, so maybe I need to see it again.

Shannon Nutt
04-21-12, 04:53 PM
The Maltese Falcon. It's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Supermallet
04-21-12, 05:18 PM
I don't know if I can choose between Maltese Falcon, Asphalt Jungle, The Misfits, and The Man Who Would Be King.

g
04-21-12, 06:59 PM
Treasure of Sierra Madre for me.

davidh777
04-22-12, 10:16 AM
Went with The Maltese Falcoln but also considered African Queen and The Dead. Just caught up with The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for the action challenge but still need to see The Misfits and The Asphalt Jungle.

Jules Winfield
04-22-12, 10:28 AM
I've only seen four but out of those, Treasure of Sierra Madre.

dhmac
04-22-12, 10:55 AM
I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't care much for The African Queen. Mainly it's because of not liking Katherine Hepburn's character in the film, which is really my personal dislike of practically every role she played after roughly about 1950. The great charm she had in 1930s-1940s films she was in seemed to completely disappear by then and she played almost every role after about 1950 like some sort of stuffy and pompous prude. To me, she seemed like she was basically channeling Margaret Dumont's characters from the Marx Brothers movies from that point on.

But, then again, I haven't seen The African Queen in many years, so maybe I'm being too harsh and need to see it again.

PopcornTreeCt
04-22-12, 11:21 AM
The Maltese Falcon

AVP77
04-22-12, 03:02 PM
I voted The Man Who Would Be King, but I'll echo that Wise Blood and The Dead, not on the list, are also really strong.

Paul_SD
04-22-12, 09:37 PM
Love Asphalt Jungle. First time I saw it it seemed like just a standard issue crime/heist movie to me. I came to appreciate it much more upon repeat viewing. Key Largo is also a big favorite that I'm getting a itch to watch again soon. Love the atmosphere in it. Treasure... impressed me the first time I finally saw it, but I'm having a hard time mustering up the enthusiasm to watch it again, even though I upgraded it to Bd years ago. For all its quality, it just seems too obvious. I'm sure I'll change my tune when I finally do sit down to watch it again.

The one film of his that seems to resonate the most with me however is Night Of The Iguana. It caught me off guard the first time I saw it, and played with even more impact the second time around. It reminds me a lot of another favorite film from a few years later, The Swimmer.

mike45
04-22-12, 10:24 PM
The Maltese Falcon.

Guilty pleasure, Moby Dick. A better film then most critics give it credit for.

Time Warrior
04-23-12, 02:00 AM
The Man Who Would be King is great (pity it was never filmed with the original planned cast of Clark Gable and Humffrey Bogart).

The Dead is sublime, a delicate but admittedly very sedate work.

I still think Treasure of the Sierra Madre is his best film and the one that has resonated most down the years.

Jaymole
04-23-12, 07:40 AM
I picked The Maltese Falcon narrowly over Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Huston has an impressive resume and even at the end of his career, he was still on the top of his game.

I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't care much for The African Queen. Mainly it's because of not liking Katherine Hepburn's character in the film, which is really my personal dislike of practically every role she played after roughly about 1950. The great charm she had in 1930s-1940s films she was in seemed to completely disappear by then and she played almost every role after about 1950 like some sort of stuffy and pompous prude. To me, she seemed like she was basically channeling Margaret Dumont's characters from the Marx Brothers movies from that point on.

But, then again, I haven't seen The African Queen in many years, so maybe I'm being too harsh and need to see it again.

I enjoyed The African Queen, but I do find it to be Huston's most overrated film.

Sweet Baby James
04-23-12, 09:32 AM
I picked The Maltese Falcon narrowly over Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Huston has an impressive resume and even at the end of his career, he was still on the top of his game.

I enjoyed The African Queen, but I do find it to be Huston's most overrated film.

Have to go with this.

inri222
04-23-12, 10:18 AM

:thumbsup:

Ash Ketchum
04-23-12, 10:44 AM

:lol:
(I don't necessarily agree with the Margaret Dumont analogy, but it's very funny.)

You make a very good point, although I would single out PAT AND MIKE and DESK SET, both with Spencer Tracy, as post-1950 performances of hers I would defend. But they're probably the only ones. She certainly delivered several exciting and, dare I say it, charming performances in the 1930s and '40s (ALICE ADAMS and WOMAN OF THE YEAR are two of my favorites) and there isn't anything quite like them in her later filmography. She kind of almost became a caricature of herself.

Which makes me consider the fate of other female stars from the 1930s whose careers continued into the 1950s and beyond. Joan Crawford kind of became a caricature also, but she kept making it an interesting caricature. She was capable of surprising us, as in TORCH SONG and AUTUMN LEAVES and WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? Barbara Stanwyck starred in a bunch of westerns and really excelled in Sam Fuller's FORTY GUNS, but she didn't have access to the sheer range of roles she'd had in the 1930s and '40s, although she was great in everything she did. Bette Davis played Queen Elizabeth again and did more character parts (A POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES) and always kept it interesting. She's great in HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE.

ken_572002
04-23-12, 08:23 PM
Even though all parties involved did not like it, I've always felt his best film was The Barbarian And The Geshia

JumpCutz
01-20-14, 10:57 PM
I just rewatched The Man Who Would Be King. Fantastico.