DVD Talk
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013; D: Francis Lawrence) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013; D: Francis Lawrence)

Rypro 525
04-19-12, 08:14 PM
from the Hollywood Reporter
After a quick but fairly exhaustive search, Lionsgate has chosen Francis Lawrence to direct the Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire.

Sources say that Lawrence will receive an official offer this afternoon. If he accepts and a deal can be worked out, he will replace Gary Ross, who directed the first installment of the hugely successful franchise.
The hunt has been a fast and furious one, with the field narrowing down to Lawrence, the director of I Am Legend and Water for Elephants, and Bennett Miller, the director of the acclaimed Brad Pitt baseball movie Moneyball. Both directors met with the studio today, according to sources, and Lionsgate executives have made their pick.
Lawrence was deemed the front-runner by observers simply because of his open schedule. Miller is working his way to a December start for Foxcatcher, a true-life project centering on John Du Pont that has been his focus for several years. Miller has even lined up Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffallo for the drama, and delaying it would have been a Herculean task.
Other directors on the shortlist of Catching Fire contenders were Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy), Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu (Babel), Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre) and Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code).
Lawrence’s hiring raises the question of the state of the Catching Fire screenplay. Ross, who is a writer as much as he is a director, worked on the Hunger Games script and was planning on spending two months honing Fire, working from a script penned by Simon Beaufoy. The producers and new director now will need to keep working with Beaufoy or hire new scribes to hammer out the script before shooting begins.
The moviemakes are facing a ticking clock scenario, especially since they set a November 22, 2013 release date. Also coming into play is that shooing for Fire needs to be done by late December so that star Jennifer Lawrence, who is not related to the Austrian-born director, can have time to shoot the sequel to X-Men: First Class. Fox, which is making that movie, has an option on the actress that supercedes her Lionsgate commitment.
Lawrence is repped by CAA and 3 Arts and attorney Gretchen Rush.

I am Legend was pretty bad and i have heard bad things about Water for Elephants. His music video resume is impressive though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Lawrence

Dr. DVD
04-19-12, 08:32 PM
I was hoping they would go with someone they allegedly had on the short list, like Nicholas Refn. However, having him direct a PG-13 adaptation of a teen novel would be about the equivalent of John Woo directing Mission Impossible 2.

I would pick Lawrence, as he has more of an eye for action overall, and the first movie kind of suffered IMO as a result of the lack thereof from that director. I loved the previous X-Men movie, but I am surprised they're going forward with another, as I presumed it was viewed as an underperformer.

JumpCutz
04-19-12, 08:44 PM
Bennett Miller is a much better director than Francis Lawrence. Although it would have been a nice payday, good to hear he won't be wasting his time with this material. Really looking forward to Foxcatcher. :thumbsup:

Sondheim
04-19-12, 08:45 PM
I was kind of looking forward to seeing what a better director could bring to the series... I didn't care for the books all that much, but I think, in the right hands, a lot of cool, interesting things could be done with the material. Of course there's going to be a lot of studio control on a series like this, but I imagine someone like Alfredson or Jones could have produced something significantly better than the first film.

I kind of hated I Am Legend, and didn't hear much good about Water for Elephants - but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

resinrats
04-19-12, 08:57 PM
So why replace the director of the first movie? Did he want to leave? Seems dumb to replace someone who had a big part in making part 1 a hit.

Deftones
04-19-12, 09:09 PM
So why replace the director of the first movie? Did he want to leave? Seems dumb to replace someone who had a big part in making part 1 a hit.

He had commitments to another project and wasn't available in the timeframe that Lionsgate wanted to film the sequel.

Rypro 525
04-19-12, 09:19 PM
He had commitments to another project and wasn't available in the timeframe that Lionsgate wanted to film the sequel.

was that movie even ready for production? from what i read he didn't want to spend the next 3 or 4 years on one franchise, and that he felt movie 2 would of been rushed

mdc3000
04-20-12, 08:40 AM
^As far as I know, it wasn't that Ross didn't want to spend the time, or that he had another project ready to go... it was just that Lionsgate NEEDS this movie to be done shooting before January when Jennifer Lawrence is contractually obligated to go off and shoot X-Men: First Class 2...Gary Ross felt that wasn't enough time to get a good script/get the production into shape, without it being a stress filled rush. I can't say I blame the guy - shooting for a locked release date seems about the worst thing they can do for this movie - best to keep the quality up even if it means waiting longer to rake in that cash.

I'm OK with Francis Lawrence doing this one - I liked both Constantine and I Am Legend. I wasn't thrilled with Water For Elephants but it did show that he may have a bit more range as a director than I had thought - so this decision does seem to make sense.

Supermallet
04-20-12, 09:09 AM
I was disappointed in the first movie, but the second book is my favorite so I'll probably catch it. If it also disappoints I won't bother with the third. I haven't seen I Am Legend or Water For Elephants so I have no opinion about this guy.

Dr. DVD
04-20-12, 09:33 AM
^ He also made Constantine, don't know if you saw that one. He's definitely more of a visual director than anything else. The X-Men thing is interesting, as given Mystique's character trait of shifting into others means that someone other than Lawrence could play the role most of the time. They don't need her for that character.

starseed1981
04-20-12, 09:36 AM
I'm good with that choice of director. The second movie needs to be quite abit more visually stimulating than the first, especially considering what they are able to do with the arena. Francis will do well.

Rypro 525
04-20-12, 04:46 PM
also Francis doesnt do the hardcore shakey cam either

Why So Blu?
04-21-12, 01:42 PM
Constantine rocked, but I HATED I Am Legend.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 01:58 PM
I LOVED I Am Legend TILL the part where the woman and child come in. After that....predictable as fuck. Everything felt great till moment started and it just sped through to an ending.

Why So Blu?
04-21-12, 02:55 PM
I LOVED I Am Legend TILL the part where the woman and child come in. After that....predictable as fuck. Everything felt great till moment started and it just sped through to an ending.

The book is one of my favorite of all time. I could have forgiven them for setting it in New York, but the lame CGI creatures took me right out of the film. The ending also sucked. The ending in the book is one of the most fucked up ones out there and the film ignored it. I hear they're working on a possible sequel. Yikes.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 03:05 PM
Yeah. As much as I love the film till the moment I don't...the title still doesn't make sense. The book and it's story sure as hell made sense. Very fucked up in a way.

Supermallet
04-21-12, 05:24 PM
I do like Constantine.

Solid Snake
04-21-12, 05:33 PM
I do like Constantine.

I like everything of it but Shia Labeouf. I just hated how there's a kid character...and he's pretty worthless to the plot. LOVE LOVE LOVE Swinton in this.

Shannon Nutt
04-22-12, 02:27 PM

That's the "official" story...the actual story is he wanted a raise/more points off the box office. Lionsgate basically told him to pack his bags...but studios let directors get away with "cover stories" about why they left. The old "burn no bridges" rule...you never know when you might be working again together.

superdeluxe
06-13-12, 09:49 AM
Philip Seymour Hoffman offered role in Catching Fire:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Philip-Seymour-Hoffman-Catching-Fire-Role-1048818.aspx

Philip Seymour Hoffman might be heading to Panem. The actor has received an official offer to play Plutarch Heavensbee in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.

If Hoffman accepts, he will play the replacement for Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley), the Head Gamemaker who came to an untimely end in the previous film.

RichC2
06-13-12, 10:02 AM
Francis Lawrence is not a particularly good director but if the script is right I don't think he's necessarily bad enough to ruin it. He's okay in getting a slight sense of atmosphere. Thought Constantine was lame as hell (minus Tilda Swinton, she was great as usual), I Am Legend was watchable despite a weak script and Water for Elephants was beautiful but boring as shit.

gryffinmaster
06-13-12, 10:12 AM
I haven't seen I Am Legend or Water For Elephants so I have no opinion about this guy.

He's made competent-enough movies that have a moderate eye for visual aspects and pacing, but they also have a knack for diverging from the source material either in translation or tone, thus leaving them more hollow than they should be. Seeing his name does not instill confidence or interest, at least for me.

Simon Beaufoy is adapting the thing though, so who knows where it's going to end up.

Solid Snake
06-13-12, 10:26 AM
I haven't watched The Hunger Games and don't really plan to cuz it's not really my thing but...I do read these threads.

Lawrence knows visual and atmosphere for sure. And that's it. I liked the look and design to Constantine though it had a very weak story. Tilda Swinton really raises that film's bar just by being in there. Peter Stormare adds a bit to the film but maybe goes too far. Also Shia LaBeouf's character was pointless and lacked impact.

I Am Legend was great till the the woman and kid come in. Then it all falls apart.

I just think this guy is a follower in terms of direction. He's a safe choice, makes stuff pretty and neat, won't bug the studio about much if anything.

RichC2
06-13-12, 11:00 AM
The Hunger Games is worth watching, it's a well paced Disney rendition of Battle Royale with some clever commentary on the reality of "reality" tv. Horrible action scenes though.

I haven't read the books though.

While a bulk of Constantine looked fine, it's the shots that didn't that really glare in my mind. As if Lawrence gets a solid look but doesn't pull off enough memorable visuals to outweigh the memorably poor ones. And Swinton really was the highlight of that movie.

I agree he's a safe choice, he won't go to the extremes that some directors will go (as if you got a director to turn it into some sort of twisted masterpiece but completely alienated your target audience, kind of like if you had David Cronenberg or Lynch come in and direct it) and will make it perfectly pleasant to the script. So it better be a strong adaptation.

Rob V
06-13-12, 12:13 PM
Those who haven't read the books will be disappointed since it's right back to the games with a few minor twists. Not a bad story but not groundbreaking either. The 3rd book was fantastic IMO.

Dr. DVD
06-14-12, 09:42 AM
I think the second movie will more or less serve as a bridge to the last book/final two movies. I haven't read all of the second and third yet, but my understanding is that the third goes in a completely different direction.

If they can get Hoffman, that will be great. One of the strengths I feel this series has is casting some very fine and experienced actors in the adult roles. Good actors can sometimes elevate otherwise mediocre material.

bdshort
06-14-12, 11:15 AM
The third book is very different. Sort of a love/hate thing if you read the reviews for it at Amazon, particularly the ending. I liked it, looking forward to seeing the movie adaptations.

Rob V
06-14-12, 11:31 AM
I think most movie-goers will HATE the conclusion. It was ballsy and not your typical Hollywood conclusion for a tween-centric trilogy.

Solid Snake
06-14-12, 12:03 PM
So spoil it for me. What was the big deal at the end of 3rd book or the book itself?

Rob V
06-14-12, 12:33 PM
Ok, but I advise waiting...

Katniss is used as a pawn the entire time -- both by Snow and the President of the rebels. When given the opportunity to kill Snow (after he's been captured and overthrown) she instead shoots an arrow thru the President's heart and kills her... they allude to her being completely mentally unstable after watching her sister die in the war.

Dr. DVD
06-14-12, 12:42 PM
The third book is very different. Sort of a love/hate thing if you read the reviews for it at Amazon, particularly the ending. I liked it, looking forward to seeing the movie adaptations.

Given that these movies are proving immensely popular, they might change it. (Haven't read it, don't spoil it.)

gryffinmaster
06-14-12, 12:46 PM
Given that these movies are proving immensely popular, they might change it. (Haven't read it, don't spoil it.)

I dunno. Changing the ending would also massively knee-cap a thematic crescendo across the second and third stories, something pretty integral.

You could be right, but I hope you're not.

Rob V
06-14-12, 01:12 PM

No, they won't change it. In retro-spect, the prologue gives it that Hollywood feel... I guess.

superdeluxe
07-09-12, 01:06 PM
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/09/philip-seymour-hoffman-plutarch-catching-fire/

Philip Seymour Hoffman confirmed for Catching Fire.

Nice pull Hunger Games.

Shannon Nutt
07-09-12, 01:14 PM

The third book is awesome...it's the second one I don't like...it starts out great, and then basically repeats the story of the first book. I'm sure when the second film comes out, critics not familar with the story will be writing "it's more of the same".

Solid Snake
07-09-12, 01:26 PM
The third book is awesome...it's the second one I don't like...it starts out great, and then basically repeats the story of the first book. I'm sure when the second film comes out, critics not familar with the story will be writing "it's more of the same".

And wouldn't they be correct to do so?

They, and we for that matter, don't need the books. We take the film for what it is solely on it's own merits.

Rob V
07-09-12, 01:49 PM
Because book #2 is a rehash of #1... they need to release the 2nd and 3rd movies back to back.

bluetoast
07-09-12, 01:57 PM
I think they're going to split the third movie though.

Shannon Nutt
07-09-12, 02:20 PM
And wouldn't they be correct to do so?

Yes, you're right...I meant to say they'll be blaming the similarities on the moviemakers and not on the source material, though. If I were directing the second movie, I'd extend the first part of the film and make the second half of the book only the last 30 minutes or so of the movie.

dex14
03-14-13, 09:43 AM
Character Posters:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Katniss_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Effie_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Caeser_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Peeta_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Gale_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/beetee_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Cinna_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Finnick_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/haymitch_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Johanna_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/03/Snow_a_p.jpg http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_post_349_width/2013/02/the_hunger_games_catching_fire_poster.jpg

Dr. DVD
03-14-13, 12:20 PM
No Plutarch. :(

dex14
03-14-13, 12:22 PM
http://turntherightcorner.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/the-hunger-games-catching-fire-plutarch-heavensbee.jpg?w=550

Dr. DVD
03-14-13, 03:31 PM
I;ve actually seen that photo before, just thought odd they wouldn't give him a poster considering :

A) He's somewhat of an important character and B) being played by a rather noteworthy actor.

hanshotfirst1138
03-14-13, 10:30 PM
I think they're going to split the third movie though.

That seems to be the newest way to squeeze the last possible drop of money out of franchises that are ending.

dex14
04-15-13, 07:38 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jyPnQw_Lqds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hanshotfirst1138
04-15-13, 03:25 PM
Same production designer again, they're probably going to use the same sets all the way though to save money. Wonder how much the design aesthetic will expand? Does this story take us any new places? I have to get on that second book one of these days to catch up in time.

Dr. DVD
04-15-13, 08:25 PM
Same production designer again, they're probably going to use the same sets all the way though to save money. Wonder how much the design aesthetic will expand? Does this story take us any new places? I have to get on that second book one of these days to catch up in time.

That teaser is only about the first half of the book. The conversation between Snow and Plutarch hints at what's to come.

Stylistically these movies look a lot like the dystopian efforts of the 70s like The Omega Man and Logan's Run.

Draven
04-15-13, 08:41 PM
Looks great to me but I really liked the original too.

I don't understand how a 2:30 trailer is a "teaser" though. It showed a lot.

N2DVD
04-15-13, 09:21 PM
We rewatched Hunger Games tonight before I showed the trailer for Catching Fire to the wife. She had never seen the first one, but will likely want to see the second in the theater.

Matthew Chmiel
04-15-13, 09:43 PM
As per my wife, most of the footage shown is from the first act of the book.

Decker
04-15-13, 09:47 PM
Looks great to me but I really liked the original too.

It showed some stuff that wasn't in the book between Plutarch and Snow that removes a touch of ambiguity from a major plot twist, but I'm okay with it, especially if it gives us more PSH scenes than were in the second book.Same production designer again, they're probably going to use the same sets all the way though to save money. Wonder how much the design aesthetic will expand? Does this story take us any new places? I have to get on that second book one of these days to catch up in time.
We visit several of the other districts which we barely saw glimpses of in the first movie. And of course there's a new arena. They shot a lot in Hawaii, so that should tell you the look of this film will be pretty different.

Draven
04-16-13, 12:45 AM
As per my wife, most of the footage shown is from the first act of the book.

I've read the books and I saw that. I was expecting a shot of Katniss and Peta and some rioting and that's it. Similar to the original Hunger Games teaser.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hj797cQYMfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Instead we got dialogue, scenes, plot, etc. That was a trailer. But let's be honest, I'm not upset about it. I just don't get why they are calling trailers teasers these days.

Defiant1
04-16-13, 10:16 PM
It's a really good teaser. We don't even get a glimpse of the Quarter Quell.

dex14
05-14-13, 01:19 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/05/14/hunger-games-catching-fire.jpg

dex14
07-21-13, 09:09 AM
<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://movies.yahoo.com/video/hunger-games-catching-fire-trailer-021017530.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

Dr. DVD
07-21-13, 10:51 AM
Looks good, but I've read the books and everything had meaning to me. Had I not, I really wouldn't find anything other than the visuals interesting. Looks like they've upped the ante in production values for this one, trailer gave off a Ridley Scott vibe. Hopefully it stays that way throughout as opposed to just being impressive for the first half of the movie.

gp1086
07-21-13, 04:33 PM
I like this trailer (and how it didn't give too much footage away). Excited!

Michael Corvin
07-21-13, 04:47 PM
I'm finally reading Catching Fire(about 2/3rds done) and just watched the trailer. This may sound silly, but I'm kinda bummed that they gave the dress reveal away in the trailer.

superdeluxe
08-22-13, 05:34 PM
Natalie Dormer has been cast in the Hunger Games as Cressida

dex14
10-28-13, 07:48 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zoKj7TdJk98?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supermallet
10-29-13, 02:39 AM
Catching Fire is my favorite book of the three, but I have no desire to see this movie. I'm just not interested in the way these filmmakers have realized the world.

Rob V
10-29-13, 08:09 AM
Catching Fire is my favorite book of the three, but I have no desire to see this movie. I'm just not interested in the way these filmmakers have realized the world.

I'm curious as to why? It's essentially book 1 with some new charracters. I thought book 3 was great and very much adult themed.

superdeluxe
10-29-13, 09:37 AM
My Wife says Catching Fire was the best book out of the three, so she said the movie should be better as well. I guess we shall see!

bluetoast
10-29-13, 10:40 AM
My friend and I are of the opinion that Collins had an idea for a book, and after pitching it, her editor put a gun to her head and said "Make it three."

Michael Corvin
10-29-13, 10:43 AM
I just read Catching Fire over the summer. It was entertaining but nothing more than a retelling of book 1. I'll check out 3 after this film.

superdeluxe
10-31-13, 10:32 AM
Spoiler for poster due to size.

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/catchingmarked.jpg

Dr. DVD
10-31-13, 01:07 PM
I will say that while book 2 is a lot like a repeat of the first one in some regards, it flows directly into book 3 which is completely different. In all honesty, the overall story makes it looks like 3 was meant to be the actual 2nd book , and the way the movies are being done the first movie will look more like a kind of prologue to a trilogy.

RichC2
11-12-13, 03:34 PM
Reviews started coming in. Currently at 94% with 17 reviews on rottentomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games_catching_fire/

Dr. DVD
11-12-13, 03:37 PM
^ Those will most likely drop as many regular critics will find this too repetitive of the first one.

CharlieK
11-12-13, 03:39 PM
Are you saying that because you've seen it? The few reviews I've read say that it improves on the first in almost every way with no one really commenting on any kind of repetitiveness. I was kind of disinterested in seeing this one, but the feedback I've read has turned me around.

RichC2
11-12-13, 03:44 PM
A lot of the reviews also state it's a huge improvement on the source material this time around.

Dr. DVD
11-12-13, 03:45 PM
I said most likely. Maybe they improved on the source material. The second book wasn't bad IMO, but many don't care for it. I remember the first one registered fresh with most reviews being of the "three star" nature. One thing's for certain, these are obviously registering better with non-readers than the Twilight series.

hanshotfirst1138
11-12-13, 03:57 PM
I'm about two thirds of the way through the book. It's not terrible or anything, but it basically feels like a retread of the first so far. I think that the movie will suffer as a result, the proverbial sequel that's a remake with a bigger budget.

The Hunger Games is worth watching, it's a well paced Disney rendition of Battle Royale with some clever commentary on the reality of "reality" tv. Horrible action scenes though.

I quite liked the first film, I thought it was intelligent and well-made, but the shaky cam made me want to beat the cameraman with a stick there were scenes which were literally unintelligible.

I agree he's a safe choice, he won't go to the extremes that some directors will go (as if you got a director to turn it into some sort of twisted masterpiece but completely alienated your target audience, kind of like if you had David Cronenberg or Lynch come in and direct it) and will make it perfectly pleasant to the script. So it better be a strong adaptation.

Yeah, but the notion of giving a big franchise movie to anyone who's even slightly an auteur is rather uncommon, Christopher Nolan notwithstanding. The studio wants someone weaned on music video and TV so they'll work fast and won't interfere with the studio or have a strong enough vision to try to give the film much edge.

I like Jennifer Lawrence, she's a very talented young actress, but she looks like a centerfold, I do think asking us to buy into her as a scraggly coal miner's daughter requires a bit of suspension of disbelief.

I said most likely. Maybe they improved on the source material. The second book wasn't bad IMO, but many don't care for it. I remember the first one registered fresh with most reviews being of the "three star" nature. One thing's for certain, these are obviously registering better with non-readers than the Twilight series.

I'm single, so I've never had anyone to drag me to the Twilight movies and therefore know nothing about them. It's kind of nice.

Dr. DVD
11-12-13, 05:20 PM
I'm about two thirds of the way through the book. It's not terrible or anything, but it basically feels like a retread of the first so far. I think that the movie will suffer as a result, the proverbial sequel that's a remake with a bigger budget.

I'm single, so I've never had anyone to drag me to the Twilight movies and therefore know nothing about them. It's kind of nice.

1) There is no way this movie will suffer, except maybe that it won't be #1 for four weeks straight.

2) I'm also single, as well as about 90% of the posters in this forum. :)

hanshotfirst1138
11-12-13, 06:19 PM
I'm not saying it'll suffer commercially, just in terms of its content.

Jules Winfield
11-13-13, 10:44 AM
Looking forward to it. I enjoyed the first one.

Dr. DVD
11-13-13, 11:45 AM
This franchise seems to do a better job of appealing outside of the female/teen demo than Twilight as well. I think it might have to do that this is actually a more interesting story with more depth overall, and the fact that it has actors that are good at their jobs.

hanshotfirst1138
11-13-13, 07:08 PM
This franchise seems to do a better job of appealing outside of the female/teen demo than Twilight as well. I think it might have to do that this is actually a more interesting story with more depth overall, and the fact that it has actors that are good at their jobs.

I like that it has a bit of an edge of social commentary. At least it actually has the intelligence to be about something.

robin2099
11-13-13, 07:36 PM

I think it helps that it's not really a "love story" like Twilight was, and also it helps that unlike the male leads in Twilight, female fan girls are not as obnoxious about the male leads in HG.

Abob Teff
11-13-13, 10:00 PM
In the books, Catching Fire seems like a retread simply because the reader has not been exposed to the world outside of the arena or the Games. We are treated to the contrast between the Districts and the Capitol, but we aren't really shown the social and political realities of the HG universe.

Once you reach the third book, the second makes sense and is not viewed the same. I don't feel the books are terribly well written, but the story arc plays out like a masterful game of chess.

It will be interesting to see how the movies play out since they stripped most of the meaning out of the first movie. We were left with a more or less brainless action flick containing a ham-handed attempt at teenage romance ... Hopefully the filmmakers overcome this and provide the socio-political commentary that is the strength of the series. This is one case where the movies have an opportunity to outshine the books.

JumpCutz
11-13-13, 11:32 PM
The chick playing the lead in this is kinda hot.

RichC2
11-14-13, 07:32 AM

Yeah I think she's going places, saw an interview with her the other day, she seems pretty cool.

Shannon Nutt
11-14-13, 08:03 AM
Yeah I think she's going places, saw an interview with her the other day, she seems pretty cool.

Come on, you guys are acting like she's Oscar material!

RichC2
11-14-13, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't go that far.

Solid Snake
11-14-13, 09:42 AM
In the books, Catching Fire seems like a retread simply because the reader has not been exposed to the world outside of the arena or the Games. We are treated to the contrast between the Districts and the Capitol, but we aren't really shown the social and political realities of the HG universe.

Once you reach the third book, the second makes sense and is not viewed the same. I don't feel the books are terribly well written, but the story arc plays out like a masterful game of chess.

It will be interesting to see how the movies play out since they stripped most of the meaning out of the first movie. We were left with a more or less brainless action flick containing a ham-handed attempt at teenage romance ... Hopefully the filmmakers overcome this and provide the socio-political commentary that is the strength of the series. This is one case where the movies have an opportunity to outshine the books.

So what was the meaning of the book? Or of the whole series?

Ash Ketchum
11-14-13, 09:46 AM

Jamie Alexander is in this?! Awesome!

Abob Teff
11-14-13, 09:30 PM
So what was the meaning of the book? Or of the whole series?

Fascism, oppression, revolution ... manipulation of a populace through the media

OR

dconev
11-16-13, 04:31 AM
In spite of the heavy subject matter, the film remains accessible and entertaining.

CharlieK
11-16-13, 01:01 PM
I'm sold. Thanks!

Giles
11-16-13, 01:02 PM
tix are up for the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy 15/70 presentation - I'll give this a shot, the first movie didn't really wow me, but the new trailers have piqued my interest considerably.

Solid Snake
11-16-13, 01:51 PM
Whatever quality the film itself may be..it'll be a good looking one with the director doing his thing. Though...the trailers seem kind of muted with its visuals. Maybe it gets fancier with the stuff not in the trailer.

RichC2
11-16-13, 02:43 PM
up to 96% with 28 reviews (1 negative)

Giles
11-16-13, 02:43 PM
out of curiosity, how much footage WAS filmed in 15/70 film stock?

Dr. DVD
11-16-13, 07:31 PM
I have tickets for an IMAX screening at 11 on Thursday. This has some stuff shot in the format, so it's actually legit in some areas.

hanshotfirst1138
11-16-13, 09:50 PM
Was the first film shot with IMAX cameras at all? I remember it hitting the IMAX, but was that just publicity stuff or was any of the film shot that way?

Dr. DVD
11-17-13, 10:16 AM
Was the first film shot with IMAX cameras at all? I remember it hitting the IMAX, but was that just publicity stuff or was any of the film shot that way?

The first one wasn't, they just blew it up to the format for a limited one week run when it opened. I think many exhibitionists wished it had stuck around, as the movie that replaced it, Wrath of the Titans, didn't really generate the interest.

If you've been to a Regal this month, they actually have a short promo for Catching Fire where it shows them operating IMAX cameras.

asianxcore
11-17-13, 01:17 PM
I'm 36 pages away from finishing this book.

After that figuring out if I want to do just a Midnight showing of 'Catching Fire' or doing the Double Feature.

devilshalo
11-18-13, 04:25 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eT7nD02Im5E?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supermallet
11-18-13, 04:32 PM
I have to say, as much as I enjoyed the book, all of the ads for this have left me wholly uninterested. There's something about the design aesthetic (which, to be fair, was established in the first film) that completely turns me off. It looks tacky and cheap, like this is the TV movie version of these stories.

Dr. DVD
11-18-13, 06:15 PM
I thought the first one was impressive for the first half but that the second part looked low rent. This one looks like the arena part will have some decent production.

hanshotfirst1138
11-18-13, 10:08 PM
Isn't Lionsgate still technically an independent studio? They might've had to pinch pennies a bit on the first.

Supermallet
11-18-13, 10:27 PM
It's not just the actual money spent, it's the visual design aesthetics.

Michael Corvin
11-19-13, 07:35 AM
I can understand not liking the design of the districts, or the capital (everyone pictured something different while reading the book) but the second half of the film takes place in a forest. What kind of visual aesthetics are you expecting?

hanshotfirst1138
11-19-13, 11:10 AM

I wonder what Lawrence will have inherited from Ross and co. and what will be new?

I can understand not liking the design of the districts, or the capital (everyone pictured something different while reading the book) but the second half of the film takes place in a forest. What kind of visual aesthetics are you expecting?

It's technically an arena, with the forest as part of it.

Supermallet
11-19-13, 01:18 PM

I was referring to the stuff outside of the arena. But it's not like the arena stuff exists in a vacuum.

Abob Teff
11-19-13, 09:41 PM

Or lack thereof ... there was virtually no creativity exercised. It looked exactly like a 13-year old would have imagined it looking.

I can understand the flat, lifeless look of the Districts; however that look should not have carried over to the Arena. Much like the color shift in The Matrix (from the real world to the Matrix), the Arena should have had a sharper, more vibrant look to it as Catniss was "coming to life" in the Game. Even the Capitol, which should have looked like a rave, had a flat, dull look to it.

Abob Teff
11-19-13, 09:50 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eT7nD02Im5E?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Isn't that a little highbrow for Sesame Street?

hanshotfirst1138
11-19-13, 10:28 PM
The first one wasn't, they just blew it up to the format for a limited one week run when it opened. I think many exhibitionists wished it had stuck around, as the movie that replaced it, Wrath of the Titans, didn't really generate the interest. If you've been to a Regal this month, they actually have a short promo for Catching Fire where it shows them operating IMAX cameras.

I have an old, probably expired gift card for a Regal cinema, but I've never actually seen one. Wrath of the Titans was about as exciting as watching paint dry. How do IMAX "blowups" work on the digital IMAX, the so-called LIEMAX? Do they just increase the resolution or something?

Supermallet
11-19-13, 10:38 PM
Digital IMAX is 2k. No need to increase the resolution.

hanshotfirst1138
11-19-13, 11:35 PM
Huh. Wouldn't that be a step down from regular 4K? IMAX is supposed to be a step up.

Lara Means
11-20-13, 01:24 AM
Gravity was flat out proof that Digital "lie" IMAX is actually legit. No regular theater screen can match the experience.

RichC2
11-20-13, 08:18 AM
Lie IMAX was phenomenal with Gravity. The brightness and sound were phenomenal. Also from my understanding, IMAX has both 2K and 4K digital projection configurations, not sure if that's dual on both of them or if they're counting the 4K configurations as 2 x 2K.

In other news, this now has 63 reviews on rottentomatoes, currently sitting at 94% (59 "fresh", 4 "rotten") with a 7.7/10 average.

"The steady action footage alone is enough to make this an improvement over the first installment."

2hr 26m long.

Rypro 525
11-20-13, 12:15 PM
shockingly, one of those 'rotten' reviews came from Rex Reed, who called it "Excessive, over-produced, obscenely over-budgeted and utterly pointless,and an overrated trillogy" he also spent the first paragraph complaining about the 3D of the first movie, but yet it was never in 3D... you would think someone at the New York Observer would tell him it wasn't
http://observer.com/2013/11/up-in-smoke-catching-fire-second-installment-in-hunger-games-trilogy-is-a-tired-rehash/

hanshotfirst1138
11-20-13, 01:13 PM
And yet somehow he writes professionally? I get it if he disagree with you or I, but the facts straight!

Abob Teff
11-21-13, 01:56 PM
He didn't say he watched the first one in 3-D ... but it was a really odd placement for a completely unrelated personal rant.

As a wearer of distance glasses, I hate the revival of 3-D, a silly gimmick for kids from the 1950s that blighted everything from Bwana Devil to Kiss Me Kate then mercifully died out with House of Wax. So I was glad to watch the first Hunger Games without the discomfort of one pair of glasses worn over a second, and I didnít miss a thing. I can live without another flying spear. This time, I saw part two in IMAX, a format that is a great advancement over 3-D but did nothing to improve this movie.

In some regards I will agree with his ill-placed statement. 3-D when used as a gimmick (i.e., throwing things at the viewer) sucks. When it is used to layer depth into a flm it can be masterful. The opening sequence to Star Trek: Into Darkness was beautiful ... until a spear flew off the screen.

I am alittle perplexed by this comment though:

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the original idea ...

How can a critic who has been around as long as he has state it is original and overlook the (rip off?) obvious influence of Battle Royale?

RichC2
11-21-13, 02:05 PM
I was wondering if they edited his review because I saw what he was going for as well, so maybe it's an edit?

131 reviews now, sitting at a 92% with 121 positive, 10 negative reviews. 7.6/10 average score.