Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Otters...what would you do? YAJobT.

Tarantino
04-19-12, 01:40 PM
I've earned a job opportunity, but I would have to relocate. I have been given an option of cities that I could move to, with a majority of the moving costs being covered. The states I can move to are...Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Conneticut, New Jersey, or Ohio (the city I move to needs to be within an hour from a decent airport). The job would require a two year commitment. The job is something that I would really enjoy and the pay would be a little bit better than what I'm pulling in now.

My wife and I are young, and we both don't enjoy our current jobs. I have been looking for other jobs and positions in the SF bay area, but they aren't easy to come by. We don't have kids or pets, and most of our family is in the SF/central CA area. We rent an apartment, so there would be no house to sell. It probably wouldn't be in the cards for her to transfer, so she'd have to find a new job wherever we end up.

The only thing holding me up is having our families close by. Her parents live about 10 minutes from us and my parents are about 45 mins away. Not having them close would be a drastic change for both of us (her more than I). If we do leave, we want to come back to CA in 2/3 years when we're ready to have kids. Not really looking forward to a UHaul drive across the country either.

So...would you do it? If so, which state/city would you pick out of the ones listed?

RunBandoRun
04-19-12, 01:43 PM
I vote for Indiana. The cost of living is going to be way lower there.

The Cow
04-19-12, 01:45 PM
How much are you wanting to come back to Cali in 2-3 years, and how confident are you that you will be able to find a good job then? That would certainly weigh in. As would the stability of your current job, which by all accounts may not be long term.

Tarantino
04-19-12, 01:49 PM
The job that I've been offered would look great on a resume - it's a giant leap from where I am now. I think that once I've got this under my belt, I would not have trouble finding a related spot in CA. I applied for the west coast spot originally, but someone more experienced was offered. In an effort to keep me as well, I was offered the east coast.

We definitely want to come back to CA after the hiatus.

My current job is stable, I just hate it. I've been looking for something else for the better part of a year.

TGM
04-19-12, 01:50 PM
Do not come to Massachusetts.

Also, remember, in tough economic times, last in = first out when layoffs/cuts come. Just something to keep in mind.

TomOpus
04-19-12, 01:51 PM
Not really looking forward to a UHaul drive across the country either.I recently moved and used one of those "PODS-type" companies but it wasn't PODS. They was cheaper than UHaul and they were very easy to work with. I even got out here later than planned but they were cool with holding my stuff and not charging storage.

As for moving away from family, you just have to decide what's important. If you can fly back to visit, would that be enough? If/when you decide to have kids, how much would your folks be affected with not being to be with their grandchildren that much?

Cardsfan111
04-19-12, 01:51 PM
From a sports standpoint, Pennsylvania would allow you an opportunity to fit in with your Steelers jersey and to attend some Steelers/Pirates games.

New York and New Jersey would be good choices considering your affinity for Tebowing. :)

TomOpus
04-19-12, 01:53 PM
:lol:

Dr Mabuse
04-19-12, 01:55 PM
Go with one the Corn Belt states and take the job.

Moving around and living in different places is cool stuff.

davidh777
04-19-12, 01:59 PM
Didn't you say you grew up in Pittsburgh or something like that?

From that list, and with you guys being young and unencumbered, I'd look for an adventure rather than a location, and that sounds like New York, especially if it's reasonably close to NYC.

glassdragon
04-19-12, 02:01 PM
Did you finally get that dream job taking pictures of yourself all day?

wishbone
04-19-12, 02:02 PM
But if their goal is to move back to California then they might want to save some money by living in the midwest. :shrug:

RunBandoRun
04-19-12, 02:05 PM
But if their goal is to move back to California then they might want to save some money by living in the midwest. :shrug:

That was my thinking, and that's why I said Indiana.

glassdragon
04-19-12, 02:07 PM
Ok, so you have to be close to an airport which means you will be traveling. What is the problem with just staying where you are and traveling from there? Are the airports somehow better in those states?

Shazam
04-19-12, 02:10 PM
I have to admit that if I lived in the SF area, I really wouldn't care what my job was.

BuddhaWake
04-19-12, 02:13 PM
i would do PA if in Philly. not because i live here but because its close to NJ/NYC, is cheaper than those and not as cold in winder as the rest of them.

X
04-19-12, 02:14 PM
But if their goal is to move back to California then they might want to save some money by living in the midwest. :shrug:Except if the economy recovers in a few years they'll never be able to afford a home in California. I think it would difficult to return to California after living some other place that's economically reasonable.

glassdragon
04-19-12, 02:15 PM
Except if the economy recovers in a few years they'll never be able to afford a home in California. I think it would difficult to return to California after living some other place that's economically reasonable.

That's true

Hey look, we're paying 600 a month for rent

Now we're paying 2000 dollars a month for rent in a place the same size

/sadness

madcougar
04-19-12, 02:25 PM
Too bad you can't move to Houston. Oh sure the state's so red that Satan has taken up residence here, but the cost of living is super low and you can carry a gun!

Tarantino
04-19-12, 02:37 PM
From a sports standpoint, Pennsylvania would allow you an opportunity to fit in with your Steelers jersey and to attend some Steelers/Pirates games.

New York and New Jersey would be good choices considering your affinity for Tebowing. :)

Didn't you say you grew up in Pittsburgh or something like that?

I was born in NJ, but lived in PA and NY. I still have some family in the Tri-State area. I would love the sports atmosphere.

Did you finally get that dream job taking pictures of yourself all day?

I wish.

Ok, so you have to be close to an airport which means you will be traveling. What is the problem with just staying where you are and traveling from there? Are the airports somehow better in those states?

Requirement of the job is that I have to live in the territory that I would be working for (Northeast). That was my first question when I got the call. Alas...I would have to move.

Except if the economy recovers in a few years they'll never be able to afford a home in California. I think it would difficult to return to California after living some other place that's economically reasonable.

A very big fear of mine. When we move back, we want to buy a house somewhere and stop renting.

TomOpus
04-19-12, 02:55 PM
A very big fear of mine. When we move back, we want to buy a house somewhere and stop renting.How much can you save up in 2-3 years time to afford to buy a house in CA? If the pay isn't much higher than you're getting now, when you move back, you'll pretty much be in the same spot you are now. Plus you have to consider how long it will take your wife to get a new job and how much saved money will get eaten up if she does not find anything soon. With her not being so close to her parents (you said that would be worse for her), she will probably get very homesick and stressed. Sorry for being such a ....

http://i41.tinypic.com/24e12m1.jpg

But if both of you are willing to just be adventurous and throw caution in the wind (like I did), then go have fun. Like Vibs said, I'd opt for Indiana. Our very own mosquitobite lives there and is a realtor. Might be able to find you a house :)

davidh777
04-19-12, 03:10 PM
Is the salary the same regardless of location?

kvrdave
04-19-12, 03:15 PM
If salary is the same, I'd be in Indiana or Ohio.

X
04-19-12, 03:31 PM
A very big fear of mine. When we move back, we want to buy a house somewhere and stop renting.The thing to do then is buy a distressed home now in an area in California that will make a comeback. Rent it out, move if you want, you have family who can watch over it and your trips back will be deductible against any potential income from the rental.

The home will appreciate and you can trade it for one perhaps in a different area when you come back.

Deftones
04-19-12, 03:41 PM
My wife and I are young, and we both don't enjoy our current jobs.

So wait, you go out of your way to defend Best Buy at every chance, say it's a great place to work, yet you don't like your job? :lol:

superdeluxe
04-19-12, 03:43 PM
I've earned a job opportunity, but I would have to relocate. I have been given an option of cities that I could move to, with a majority of the moving costs being covered. The states I can move to are...Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Conneticut, New Jersey, or Ohio (the city I move to needs to be within an hour from a decent airport). The job would require a two year commitment. The job is something that I would really enjoy and the pay would be a little bit better than what I'm pulling in now.

My wife and I are young, and we both don't enjoy our current jobs. I have been looking for other jobs and positions in the SF bay area, but they aren't easy to come by. We don't have kids or pets, and most of our family is in the SF/central CA area. We rent an apartment, so there would be no house to sell. It probably wouldn't be in the cards for her to transfer, so she'd have to find a new job wherever we end up.

The only thing holding me up is having our families close by. Her parents live about 10 minutes from us and my parents are about 45 mins away. Not having them close would be a drastic change for both of us (her more than I). If we do leave, we want to come back to CA in 2/3 years when we're ready to have kids. Not really looking forward to a UHaul drive across the country either.

So...would you do it? If so, which state/city would you pick out of the ones listed?

If the pay is going to be similar, I would go somewhere where it would be a nice place to live as well as having good cost of living. Would you get paid the same working in Indiana compared to New York?

Larry C.
04-19-12, 03:49 PM
I say go where the cost of living is the lowest. Have fun your young. It could open doors for you.

clckworang
04-19-12, 03:55 PM
Too bad you can't move to Houston. Oh sure the state's so red that Satan has taken up residence here, but the cost of living is super low and you can carry a gun!

:thumbsup: Yep, and if you really want to go cheap, stay in Texas but just keep going south to where I am. We were recently named the cheapest U.S. city to live in.

Osiris3657
04-19-12, 03:56 PM
Brownsville?

Oh and out of those states I'd choose PA.

argh923
04-19-12, 04:06 PM
Tarantino - Where at in Indiana? These posters are right when they say the cost of living is lower here. Would it be in Indianapolis?

glassdragon
04-19-12, 04:09 PM
Well, I'm in ohio and it's not too horrible here.

Cardsfan111
04-19-12, 04:19 PM
Tarantino - Where at in Indiana? These posters are right when they say the cost of living is lower here. Would it be in Indianapolis?

Sounds like it's his choice, as long as it is within an hour of a major airport.

The Bus
04-19-12, 04:54 PM
First, move. It's clearly for the best.

Second, a U-Haul across the country? What for? You've got two sets of parents where you can leave things that are too cumbersome to move. The rest: just sell everything. Use this as your opportunity to clean your house and get rid of / donate / sell all the things you don't use everyday that are taking up physical room and your time. Yes, I'm channeling Bruce Sterling a bit, but his <a href="http://www.viridiandesign.org/">last note</a> is worth reading (start at "What is 'sustainability'?").

Third, I like X's idea, but it's a considerable financial hassle and you need to find tenants that can make it work. If they call and say the water heater broke or a pipe burst, who will you trust to make repairs? That said, because it's hard to do doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Fourth, I'd move to wherever it's cheap to live: Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, <s>New York</s>, <s>Massachusetts</s>, <s>Conneticut</s>, <s>New Jersey</s>, or Ohio. PA seems to be the best option. If you're in Philly, live <i>in</i> Philly. (I'd recommend West or South Philly).

But that's only part of the equation.

However... and I don't know what type of work you'll be doing, you need to consider what's best for your career. I would go to the location that is best for you. Maybe the OH location has the best team working. Go there. Maybe the NJ location is the biggest, or is the most associated with that industry. Go there.

Then, you have to keep in mind your wife's wishes. What does she do? Where would it make sense for her to live? Check local unemployment rates, that might give you an idea how easy/difficult things are in a location.

Best of luck.

Tarantino
04-19-12, 05:40 PM
So wait, you go out of your way to defend Best Buy at every chance, say it's a great place to work, yet you don't like your job? :lol:

I love the company...they've taken awesome care of me. It's my current position within the company that I don't like.

This position is still with Best Buy.

The pay is the same regardless of where we end up. Right now (if I take it), I'm thinking eastern PA.

nando820
04-19-12, 06:09 PM
I think sometimes u have to take a leap of faith and explore other places. I have lived in South America, Miami and now Seattle and although not every place has been a bed roses or I have been close to family, the friends made and experiences learned have been amazing.

Jules Winfield
04-19-12, 06:15 PM
I would say New York because then you could stand in the middle of Times Square, spread out your arms and yell "Whee!" as you twirl around.

TomOpus
04-19-12, 06:17 PM
How soon do you have to make a decision?

GreenMonkey
04-19-12, 06:28 PM
I personally wouldn't move to a rustbelt state if your wife is looking for a job also. The unemployment rate is terrible in most of them - I'm in MI. We'd love to get out of here.

I'd love to get out of the area, but I have a decent job with great healthcare. My wife has been job-hunting for quite a while though (she has 2 Master's degrees she picked up while being a stay-at-home-mom but not a lot of experience to leverage with them).

Just my outlook. Maybe if you were thinking of it as a temporary move for a couple of years...just keep in mind finding a job is tough in most of the rustbelt states.

Tarantino
04-19-12, 06:34 PM
How soon do you have to make a decision?

I have to let them know by Saturday.

Supermallet
04-19-12, 07:14 PM
Make the move. People are so afraid to step outside their comfort zone. And it's only for two years.

Sonny Corinthos
04-19-12, 07:21 PM
Just me of course but if the pay is about the same, I wouldn't even think about making the move. It would have to come with a very nice pay increase. I would stay where you are at and keep looking for something better.

TimeandTide
04-19-12, 08:01 PM
Just me of course but if the pay is about the same, I wouldn't even think about making the move. It would have to come with a very nice pay increase. I would stay where you are at and keep looking for something better.

This.

You're going to sacrifice some of the things that make you happiest in life (time with your family) and place a huge burden on your wife just to add a few lines to your resume? It's going to put a huge strain on your relationship and there are no guarantees that you'll be better off financially- or position-wise when the two years is up.

My Other Self
04-19-12, 08:13 PM
If they're paying you comparable California wages I'd so jump on it and move to Indiana or Ohio, especially if you plan on coming back here in 2 years or so. It's always hard re-establishing yourself in another state but if you have family for support it makes a world of difference.

That, and it's an experience living somewhere different. Do you really want to stay in Antioch or wherever the fuck you are now forever?

TimeandTide
04-19-12, 10:09 PM
Do you really want to stay in Antioch or wherever the fuck you are now forever?

Although there's also this.

jfoobar
04-19-12, 10:22 PM

1. I think you should do it. Life is too short to work a job you don't like.

2. Personally, I would go for either the Cincinnati area or the Pittsburgh area. On the other hand, living in SF sounds like a living hell to me so your tastes and mine probably do not intersect very much.

3. Indiana being cheap is not enough reason to live there. Of course, this is coming from a hypocrite who is hoping to get an awesome job (that happens to be in Iowa) soon.

clckworang
04-19-12, 10:40 PM
Brownsville?

Oh and out of those states I'd choose PA.

You're close. I'm in Harlingen. It's about 20 miles away from Brownsville.

That's basically my view as well. It's just the dog and I, but we're pretty set with how things are. Of course, as I said before, cost of living is really cheap here, so I would require a raise anywhere I moved just to even have a chance of making an equivalent salary.

Granted, I know my choice to put higher value on friends, family and comfort has severely hindered my career advancement. I know I would have a lot more opportunities open to me if I were willing to move, but we all have to make our priorities. Your career might have greater importance to you or you might have more of an eye toward the future than I do. I'm sure it's that much harder to decide when you aren't the only one being affected.

Abob Teff
04-20-12, 12:02 AM

I think he meant the pay is the same no matter which location he chooses; not the pay is the same as his current salary.

No question, take it. Any one, take it. I agree with the lower COLA places as a way to maximize the financial opportunity. Will you be working in the same places no matter which one you choose? Or are there different areas with each choice?

Tarantino
04-20-12, 12:21 AM
I think he meant the pay is the same no matter which location he chooses; not the pay is the same as his current salary.

No question, take it. Any one, take it. I agree with the lower COLA places as a way to maximize the financial opportunity. Will you be working in the same places no matter which one you choose? Or are there different areas with each choice?

Yeah, I meant the pay is the same wherever I go to, not the same as what I make now. I will make more than what I make now (although it won't be a huge change, it will be noticeable on the paycheck).

I will be working in the same places no matter where I choose. I will basically be training people in different states at different times.

Living Dead
04-20-12, 04:10 AM
My vote is for PA. I have family in Bucks County near Philly and have spent a lot of time in the state. It's a beautiful place to live. However, I wouldn't actually live IN Philly. It's mostly a run-down shithole. Overall PA would be a little more pricey than Ohio and Indiana, where I've also lived, but in the 90's.

The Bus
04-20-12, 04:33 AM
My vote is for PA. I have family in Bucks County near Philly and have spent a lot of time in the state. It's a beautiful place to live. However, I wouldn't actually live IN Philly. It's mostly a run-down shithole. Overall PA would be a little more pricey than Ohio and Indiana, where I've also lived, but in the 90's.

You didn't go to the right parts.

I'm actually thinking Tarantino might really, really like Manayunk, the Hoboken of Philadelphia.

BuddhaWake
04-20-12, 08:55 AM

I'm actually thinking Tarantino might really, really like Manayunk, the Hoboken of Philadelphia.

yeah, Manayunk would be good for a "newbie" in the area south philly east of broad st. maybe delaware county via west chester, swarthmore etc. that area would be good or even Northeast philly and fishtown if northern liberties and the art museum area is too expensive (which is it). I'm in south philly now but used to live in Old city and Northern Liberties before that.

TomOpus
04-20-12, 10:36 AM
The job would require a two year commitment.Does this mean BB would move you back to CA if you requested?

I'm curious if the company's current state of cost-cutting would possible affect a move back in 2 or 3 years. They're closing their second store here next month. Do you think there's a chance you might not have an option of moving back in 2 years?

The Bus
04-20-12, 10:37 AM
Fishtown and NoLibs have been "up and coming" for the last decade. I don't see Tarantino in tight jeans or 5XL white t-shirts, so Manayunk, Sou'philly, and Art Museum are probably good suggestions.

West Chester is cool if he wants to live in decent suburbia.

The Bus
04-20-12, 10:41 AM
Does this mean BB would move you back to CA if you requested?

I'm curious if the company's current state of cost-cutting would possible affect a move back in 2 or 3 years. They're closing their second store here next month. Do you think there's a chance you might not have an option of moving back in 2 years?

An excellent, excellent point. I don't see Best Buy going anywhere soon, but they're in trouble. Not Border's trouble, but it's a rickety ship.

That said, if Best Buy were to implode, the time to get further retail experience is now, rather than start all over again at a similar position.

You can always move back.

BuddhaWake
04-20-12, 11:49 AM
Fishtown and NoLibs have been "up and coming" for the last decade. I don't see Tarantino in tight jeans or 5XL white t-shirts, so Manayunk, Sou'philly, and Art Museum are probably good suggestions.

West Chester is cool if he wants to live in decent suburbia.

yeah but I don't know if Tarantino is a hipster or a ghetto wana-be. I figured West Chester and that area too in case he is a suburbanite lover. I'm a city guy anf south philly is ok to cool. I'm close to the stadiums and delaware ave and a short ride to old city so its really the best considering cost. West Philly is too "hot". and lets not mention South-suicide-West.

Shazam
04-20-12, 11:54 AM
Meh. I don't think it's worth moving for what seems to be a token raise. You relocate because you lose your job or because you will get a substantial raise (at the same place, or not).

Matthew Chmiel
04-20-12, 12:18 PM
First, move. It's clearly for the best.

Second, a U-Haul across the country? What for? You've got two sets of parents where you can leave things that are too cumbersome to move. The rest: just sell everything. Use this as your opportunity to clean your house and get rid of / donate / sell all the things you don't use everyday that are taking up physical room and your time. Yes, I'm channeling Bruce Sterling a bit, but his <a href="http://www.viridiandesign.org/">last note</a> is worth reading (start at "What is 'sustainability'?").

Third, I like X's idea, but it's a considerable financial hassle and you need to find tenants that can make it work. If they call and say the water heater broke or a pipe burst, who will you trust to make repairs? That said, because it's hard to do doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Fourth, I'd move to wherever it's cheap to live: Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, <s>New York</s>, <s>Massachusetts</s>, <s>Conneticut</s>, <s>New Jersey</s>, or Ohio. PA seems to be the best option. If you're in Philly, live <i>in</i> Philly. (I'd recommend West or South Philly).

But that's only part of the equation.

However... and I don't know what type of work you'll be doing, you need to consider what's best for your career. I would go to the location that is best for you. Maybe the OH location has the best team working. Go there. Maybe the NJ location is the biggest, or is the most associated with that industry. Go there.

Then, you have to keep in mind your wife's wishes. What does she do? Where would it make sense for her to live? Check local unemployment rates, that might give you an idea how easy/difficult things are in a location.

Best of luck.
I can't second this entire post enough.

My Other Self
04-23-12, 12:14 AM
What did you decide to do?

Since you live in Antioch is the reason they offered you a better opportunity is because of the Pittsburg store closing or has this been a long time coming?

The Bus
04-23-12, 05:41 AM
I can't second this entire post enough.

Spoken from someone who's been shuttling around for two years. :)

orangecrush
04-23-12, 09:36 AM
I love the company...they've taken awesome care of me. It's my current position within the company that I don't like.

This position is still with Best Buy.

The pay is the same regardless of where we end up. Right now (if I take it), I'm thinking eastern PA.That coupled with your wife needing to find a job would lead me to Indiana. Indianapolis has a pretty good unemployment rate and your cost of living will be much lower than nearly all the other states you mentioned. Plus, it has the added benefit of being a place you have never lived before.

wishbone
04-23-12, 10:02 AM
I have to let them know by Saturday.Have you made your decision?

Tracer Bullet
04-23-12, 11:15 AM

95% of Philly is a run-down shithole. The other 5% includes Society Hill and the Independence Hall area, where people get stabbed.

argh923
04-23-12, 03:13 PM
Update?

TomOpus
04-24-12, 03:16 AM
Have you made your decision?

Update?They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

He refused.

He swims with the fishes now :(

Tarantino
04-24-12, 10:44 AM
What did you decide to do?

Since you live in Antioch is the reason they offered you a better opportunity is because of the Pittsburg store closing or has this been a long time coming?

No, I had nothing to do with the Pittsburg store. It's been about two years since I worked in a big box Best Buy.

I accepted the position and fly to Minnesota for a meeting next week about it. I still don't know where we will move to, but I'm guessing eastern PA right now.

davidh777
04-24-12, 01:43 PM
Congrats and good luck, Tarantino :up: :clap:

The Bus
04-24-12, 05:09 PM
I still don't know where we will move to, but I'm guessing eastern PA right now.

Nice!

But I hope when you say Eastern PA it's not, like, the Poconos.

Hadrian7
04-24-12, 05:15 PM
Nice work there Tarantino. Congrats on the job and the exciting move. My advice is late, but you should definitely do all of this while you are young and aren't bogged down by anything. Enjoy yourself!

Formerly known as missflores
04-24-12, 08:04 PM
Good luck to you and your wife!

Tracer Bullet
04-25-12, 09:24 AM
Why eastern PA? There is nothing there except depression. Better to move to the Pittsburgh area.

nando820
05-01-12, 04:55 PM
a little late but Congratulations on the new job!

TomOpus
07-29-12, 11:10 AM
Update?

TimeandTide
07-29-12, 12:16 PM
Update?

Abob Teff
07-30-12, 12:20 AM
How about now?

d2cheer
07-30-12, 04:46 PM
Ok... now?

rabbit77
07-30-12, 05:03 PM
Go to Illinois. The people that work at all the Best Buys I've been to aren't very good at their jobs. Then, I can blame/thank you if I see no/some marked improvement the next time I go.

Edit: Didn't see you're going to PA until after I posted. Good luck!

Will your job be like Alec Bladwin's in GlenGarry Glen Ross?